PDA

View Full Version : Best WCO WR?

Ravens1991
10-01-2008, 08:44 PM
Who do you feel are the best WCO WR in the draft? How do you feel top WR prospects like heyward-bay, crabtree etc. would fit in a WCO?

D-Unit
10-01-2008, 08:44 PM
Is this a trick question?

Bruce Banner
10-01-2008, 08:46 PM
Crabtree. YAC machine.

eff it,
Also, the West Coast offense requires sure-handed receivers comfortable catching in heavy traffic, and the system downplays speedy, larger receivers who are covered easily in short yardage situation. One result has been the longevity of receivers in the West Coast system (such as the notable Jerry Rice) because a decline in speed is not as harmful, when, in "stretch the field" systems, a receiver who loses a step is a major liability. "WCO" systems also rely on agile running backs that catch the ball as often as they run. Roger Craig was a leading receiver for the 49ers for many years and was a 1,000 yard rusher and 1,000 yard receiver in the 1985 season. Finally, receivers must follow precise, complicated routes as opposed to innovation; so subservient, intelligent players are valued more than independent, pure athletes.

Larry Fitz seems ideal.

D-Unit
10-01-2008, 08:54 PM
Crabtree. YAC machine.

eff it,

Larry Fitz seems ideal.
Nice find. Never really thought about it that way.

d34ng3l021
10-01-2008, 09:01 PM
Anquan Boldin or Dwayne Bowe to me seem like ideal WCO guys.

And of course Megatron. He fits anything.

D-Unit
10-01-2008, 09:02 PM
Anquan Boldin or Dwayne Bowe to me seem like ideal WCO guys.

And of course Megatron. He fits anything.
I'm pretty sure he's talking about players in college.

Ravens1991
10-01-2008, 09:03 PM
yea Bowe,Boldin,TO,Fitz all are good fits in a WCO IMO they are the ideal type. Ravens run a WCO like offense based on short routes etc but our WR Mason and Clayton both weigh 190, Heap sucks now and Dwill does have potential though.

Bruce Banner
10-01-2008, 09:03 PM
Anquan Boldin

He came to my mind first because he is such a beast with the rock but does he fit the rest of the bill?
Hands in traffic?
Precise route running?
I have seen Anquan before but I never looked for these things.

Ignore all of that. This is college talk.

DHB and Crabtree. I'd still side with Crabtree.

d34ng3l021
10-01-2008, 09:56 PM
Yeah I only brought up Boldin and Bowe cause Fitzgerald was brought up. Boldin is pretty good in all facets of the game. There is a reason he was the fastest WR to 400 catches.

As for college, its Crabtree easily. He does not possess the crazy hands or speed or size as previous top WR prospects (Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald) but makes up for it when he has the ball in his hands. He has great vision and is pretty tough as well.

Bruce Banner
10-01-2008, 09:58 PM
Yeah I only brought up Boldin and Bowe cause Fitzgerald was brought up. Boldin is pretty good in all facets of the game. There is a reason he was the fastest WR to 400 catches.

As for college, its Crabtree easily. He does not possess the crazy hands or speed or size as previous top WR prospects (Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald) but makes up for it when he has the ball in his hands. He has great vision and is pretty tough as well.

Hopefully this injury doesn't hold him down long.

I've seen Crabtree play a few times and every time one thing stuck out, the way he ran with the ball in his hands.
He seemed pissed, I liked it.

d34ng3l021
10-01-2008, 10:05 PM
Hopefully this injury doesn't hold him down long.

I've seen Crabtree play a few times and every time one thing stuck out, the way he ran with the ball in his hands.
He seemed pissed, I liked it.

Yeah. If Crabtree has the ball in his hands, he is a threat to do something with it. Reminds me of Steve Smith, despite size differences. Quick and tough.

I wonder if the Falcons are looking at him. Matt Ryan needs more targets.

Bruce Banner
10-01-2008, 10:07 PM
Yeah. If Crabtree has the ball in his hands, he is a threat to do something with it. Reminds me of Steve Smith, despite size differences. Quick and tough.

I wonder if the Falcons are looking at him. Matt Ryan needs more targets.

It's the best thing you could do for your team. It will allow you guys to open up the run game for Turner. These days the pass sets up the run.

d34ng3l021
10-01-2008, 10:09 PM
Yeah. Teams need to respect the pass. Thats when Turner can do most of his damage. Oh man. I hope we draft Crabtree. Though I wouldnt mind not taking him. I like our WR corp.

10-01-2008, 10:13 PM
The consensus here is clearly Crabtree with good reason. As previously mentioned he possesses the necessary sure hands in traffic and ideal size among other intangibles. DHB could work in the system though I've always seen him as more effective as a vertical receiving threat.

Bruce Banner
10-01-2008, 10:19 PM
DHB could work in the system though I've always seen him as more effective as a vertical receiving threat.

Which is the main reason the Bucs should draft him. Gruden's version of the WCO calls for a deep threat to be on the field at all times. I personally don't agree with it because Gruden tries to force feed this player the ball and give them the role as the #1 receiver when they shouldn't be but you get the point.
It's been Galloway but he is fading fast and will more than likely hang up the cleats this year. DHB would be a great replacement.
(I should note that the Buccaneers offense is better without Galloway, as seen in recent weeks, because Gruden is forced to distribute the ball instead of wasting 6 downs a game on wishful fly routes)
Now I'm done.

LonghornsLegend
10-02-2008, 12:05 AM
Crabtree because for one he reminds me alot of Fitzgerald at this point, but Crabtree is probably better at running after the catch so he seems ideal for a system just giving him quick passes out into space.

Flyboy
10-02-2008, 12:19 AM
Um, Michael Crabtree...

BUSTKUNTLAWL
10-02-2008, 02:20 AM
Crabtree & Heyward-Bey.

nikkayeah
10-02-2008, 02:58 AM
so how tall is michael crabtree? he definitely does not look 6'3 to me. rivals had him at 6'1 out of high school

Ravens1991
10-02-2008, 05:51 AM
Exactly how good are crabtrees hands? I read on a previous post in this thread that he doesnt have crazy hands, we had to deal w/ another WR who had everything but hands(travis taylor) and he made me pull my hair out. So exactly how good are his hands?

d34ng3l021
10-02-2008, 10:01 AM
Exactly how good are crabtrees hands? I read on a previous post in this thread that he doesnt have crazy hands, we had to deal w/ another WR who had everything but hands(travis taylor) and he made me pull my hair out. So exactly how good are his hands?

They are good. Nothing to worry about. However, its kind of hard to match up to those previous top prospects considering they are Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald.

DiG
10-02-2008, 10:36 AM
check out the highlights in my sig of DHB from two games this year to see how good he is in the open field after the catch. with that speed and size i think hes perfect for a wco.

10-02-2008, 10:51 AM
Which is the main reason the Bucs should draft him. Gruden's version of the WCO calls for a deep threat to be on the field at all times. I personally don't agree with it because Gruden tries to force feed this player the ball and give them the role as the #1 receiver when they shouldn't be but you get the point.
It's been Galloway but he is fading fast and will more than likely hang up the cleats this year. DHB would be a great replacement.
(I should note that the Buccaneers offense is better without Galloway, as seen in recent weeks, because Gruden is forced to distribute the ball instead of wasting 6 downs a game on wishful fly routes)
Now I'm done.

True, I forgot to take other versions of the WCO into consideration. Generally speaking though Crabtree and DHB are probably two of the more ideal fits.

hockey619
10-02-2008, 12:07 PM
arrellious benn of illinios would be a great fit for a wco. hes tough and runs hard after the catch in the mold of a boldin or owens.

Bruce Banner
10-02-2008, 12:44 PM
True, I forgot to take other versions of the WCO into consideration. Generally speaking though Crabtree and DHB are probably two of the more ideal fits.

Don't worry about it.

703SKINS202
10-02-2008, 01:50 PM
What about Jeremy Maclin? I know he doesn't have the ideal size but with his speed and game changing ability after the catch I think he could fit in nicely. Look what Santana Moss is doing this year in our WCO.