PDA

View Full Version : Text of the Letter given to Lane Kiffen

David
10-03-2008, 12:10 AM
Here is the text of a letter provided by the Oakland Raiders that owner Al Davis said he gave to Lane Kiffin on Sept. 12, telling him that if he violated terms of his contract he would be fired for cause:

September 12, 2008

By Hand Delivery and Federal Express

Dear Lane:

Over the past months, you have made a number of public statements that were highly critical of, and designed to embarrass and discredit, this organization, its players and its coaches. I left you alone during training camp in hopes that you would cease your immature and destructive campaign.

However, you continue to make public statements that are critical of the organization, its players as whole as well as individual players. Such statements constitute conduct detrimental to the Raiders and I will no longer stand silently by while you continue to hurt this organization.

Further, your contract is quite clear that you work "subject to the direction and supervision of the General Partner" and that the General Partner has "the exclusive right to do all things, which in its sole discretion are necessary to maintain and improve the Club, the football organization and their activities."

I realized when I hired you that you were young and inexperienced and that there would be a learning process for you. Your mistakes on player personnel and coaches were overlooked based on our patience with you. But I never dreamt that you would be untruthful in statements to the press as well as on so many other issues. Your actions are those of a coach looking to makes (sic) excuses for not winning, rather than a coach focused on winning.

For example, with the exception of Gibril Wilson, you were involved in recruiting all free agents and determining salaries for them and you were explicit about your desire to sign Javon Walker and DeAngelo Hall amongst others. All were a must to sign in your eyes, Hall, in particular, because he played for Greg Knapp in Atlanta and Knapp gave him high grades. Do not run from that now.

I do realize that you did not want us to draft JaMarcus Russell. He is a great player. Get over it and coach this team on the field, that is what you were hired to do. We can win with this team!

In regards to your recent fabrications about the defense, during the final cuts you made every cut on offense and every cut on defense except for (Fred) Wakefield on defense and (Seth) Wand on offense. Furthermore, during the game Monday night (defensive coordinator) Rob (Ryan) played your Cover-2 defense and we got killed on an approximately 50-yard touchdown pass and an approximately 70-yard gain that led to a field goal.

You meet every week with the defensive coaches to go over both the past game and to get a general feel for what will happen during the week in practice. You have the ability and authority to provide your input during those meetings and the preparation of the game plan. I do not have weekly meetings with Rob -- you do.

During the week no one has ever told you what to do on either offense or defense. In addition, no one has ever told you during a game what to do on either offense or defense and you call every play on offense. During a game if you want to blitz more, all you have to do is let Rob know what blitz you want and he will do it.

Although you continue to use the media to express your dissatisfaction with others, no one has publicly pointed out to you that in four preseason games and one regular-season game played this year, your offense has scored one first-half touchdown. That put tremendous pressure on the defense.

I know that you wanted to bring your father in to run the defense and that Monte told me that he wanted to come here even though he as (sic) under contract to Tampa. However I did not want to tamper with another team. In any event that was over seven months ago. Do not now also run from the defense and your responsibilities.

This letter constitutes notice that if you further violate any term of your contract, in any manner whatsoever, you will be terminated for cause. I trust that this will not occur.

A.D. Football, Inc. He basically admits getting Hall was a mistake among other things.

Bruce Banner
10-03-2008, 12:14 AM
Over the past months, you have made a number of public statements that were highly critical of, and designed to embarrass and discredit, this organization, its players and its coaches. I left you alone during training camp in hopes that you would cease your immature and destructive campaign.
Al, the fact that this letter is being discussed on a message board in itself is embarrassing, discrediting, and probably destructive to the Raiders organization. Though I doubt you "designed" it that way!

PalmerToCJ
10-03-2008, 12:17 AM
Well, that's pretty revealing.

Paranoidmoonduck
10-03-2008, 12:42 AM
By the way, I doubt this letters authenticity. Not that it really matters I guess.

David
10-03-2008, 12:49 AM
By the way, I doubt this letters authenticity. Not that it really matters I guess.Al read it during his press conference.

HawkeyeFan
10-03-2008, 03:29 AM
Well, that's pretty revealing.

I definitely agree.

But if Al thought it was a mistake why'd he go through with it?

Paranoidmoonduck
10-03-2008, 04:00 AM
Al read it during his press conference.

And that lends it credibility. Kiffin himself hinted that the letter wasn't real, it doesn't sound particularly real, and it is mostly entirely unlike Al to release something like that. The way he presented it at the press conference was pretty suspicious.

eaglesalltheway
10-03-2008, 06:46 AM
And that lends it credibility. Kiffin himself hinted that the letter wasn't real, it doesn't sound particularly real, and it is mostly entirely unlike Al to release something like that. The way he presented it at the press conference was pretty suspicious.

Bingo. To be honest, I did not beleive a word of what Davis said regaurding Kiffin in that press conference.

Iamcanadian
10-03-2008, 10:28 AM
The letter is a classic case of Al Davis setting out in writting why he claims he is firing Kiffen.
The reason for this letter is simple. Al doesn't want to pay Kiffen and if the case goes to court then Davis will use it to prove he had justifiable causes for firing Kiffen and shouldn't be held responsible for the rest of Kiffen's salary.
I really don't see any way out for Al but he just trying to get out of his contract obligations to Kiffen. There is just too much of a track record witrh Davis fighting with his HC's and firing them without cause.
The second reason for the letter is to calm his team's fan base. He could really begin to p-ss his fans off and that can result in hundreds of millions in lost revenue both in ticket sales and in merchandise sales.
I wouldn't take one item from this letter and give any truth to it.

doingthisinsteadofwork
10-03-2008, 10:29 AM
I found it funny that Al says Kiffin wanted Walker and Hall.Which I highly doubt Kiffin ever wanted either of those players.

vidae
10-03-2008, 10:47 AM
This is kind of funny to me. Al Davis is trying to cover his own ass now, that's it.

Kiffin NEVER stood a chance with that organization.

NIN1984
10-03-2008, 10:52 AM
I heard Kiffin said on siruis radio he wants to go back to college football. It would be cool if he went back to SC but he will probably get a head coaching job somewhere.

CC.SD
10-03-2008, 11:04 AM
It is disgraceful that this letter made it out into the open. I thought the Raiders had become a joke before, this is just sad.

MetSox17
10-03-2008, 11:07 AM
Get over it

And any miniscule morsel of credibility that letter had goes out the window.

awfullyquiet
10-03-2008, 11:07 AM
No one EVER stands a chance with that organization.

FIFY. Black Hole FTW.

Menardo75
10-03-2008, 11:24 AM
Only the Raiders...

FlyingElvis
10-03-2008, 11:42 AM
Davis is a complete ass. Does he really think anyone in their right mind would believe for even a second that Kiffin had any say in the hiring of players or staff???

His own (totally BS) letter makes it clear that player & personnel decisions are made by Al and nobody else. Clearly, Kiffin wanted his dad as DC - didn't happen. Kiffin did not want Russell - overruled again. Are we really supposed to believe that Kiffin somehow was empowered on other players & coaches??

David
10-03-2008, 11:49 AM
Kiffen is going to get a HC job in CFB and will do very well. From what I hear the guys in Oakland wanted to play for him.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
10-03-2008, 12:10 PM
no one can actually bellieve anything Davis says, he has no credibility. The fact that something like this gets made so public (if it is actually his letter) shows he is just looking to try to garner some opinions back. Nothing like this ever comes public, and then Al Davis does it? Please. This is a joke. Davis is out to lunch, but that isn't a suprise to anyone.

Sapp firing at the Raiders further proves that Al obviously has total control over that team, obviously for the worse. Sapp may be an idiot, but he's not afraid to speak the truth.

Staubach12
10-03-2008, 12:16 PM
Until Davis dies, this organization will be a joke.

Jvig43
10-03-2008, 01:02 PM
I found it hilarious that Al tried saying the Pats tampered with Moss before we acquired him. Come on, a year afterwards? convenient to bring it up at the conference of firing Kiffin.

CC.SD
10-03-2008, 01:12 PM
The funniest part about this letter is it blames Kiffin for his part in personnel decisions, and then blasts him with a "Get over it" when he disagreed with Al about a key personnel decision. There's no spinning this, the hypocrisy and insanity is right there in the letter.

Shane P. Hallam
10-03-2008, 01:30 PM
So, will Lane still get his money since he was fired?

CC.SD
10-03-2008, 01:39 PM

Al is trying to prove he has cause on his side, and if he pulls it off then Lane won't get a cent.

MetSox17
10-03-2008, 01:59 PM

Probably not. If he does, it'll be a lengthy court battle with lots of dirty laundry getting aired out.

David
10-03-2008, 02:28 PM
So, will Lane still get his money since he was fired?That was the entire point of the letter. It shows that he's Al warned him that if he didn't straighten up he'd be fired and not get the full salary.

Borat
10-03-2008, 03:51 PM
Dear Lane,

I'm taking credit for the good personnel decisions. You will take the blame for the poor personnel decisions.

Sincerely,

Al

CC.SD
10-03-2008, 04:31 PM
Dear Lane,

I'm taking credit for the good personnel decisions. You will take the blame for the poor personnel decisions.

Sincerely,

Al

PS Does this mean I will never be able to hire a coach with any amount of reputation or scruples ever again? Well...

That means this hypothetical letter is over then! Because that thought obviously never crossed Al's mind.

robert pancake gallery
10-03-2008, 10:18 PM
the raiders need to bring in the wanstache to take over, but he'd probably stay in pittsburgh

Stash
10-03-2008, 10:27 PM
I think it's obvious most of what was in the letter is false. The fact that several key players have spoken on Kiffin's behalf just strengthens that feeling. The letter is something Al hopes will help him in court, bit it's also an attempt by Al to calm the fan base and try to get them back on his side (Like IamCanadian pointed out). The sad part is, it has actually worked. Another sports site I post at (the same site that started KeepKiffin.com) has actually split in two; those who side with Kiff, and those who side with Al. It is unbelievable to me that so many could be fooled by such a snake.

Stash
10-03-2008, 10:33 PM
I found it funny that Al says Kiffin wanted Walker and Hall.Which I highly doubt Kiffin ever wanted either of those players.

I also doubt that Kiffin would even have the authority to acquire those players. Al wouldn't even let him choose a D-coordinator, but he's gonna let him trade away a 2nd round pick for Hall, then sign him and Walker for a bazillion dollars? I don't think so Al.

Stash
10-03-2008, 11:16 PM
Came across something funny here, I guess it was shown on ESPN. It's before Al is introducing Cable as the HC and I guess he didn't realize his mic was on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Tk3L5l-EyU

10-03-2008, 11:32 PM
Came across something funny here, I guess it was shown on ESPN. It's before Al is introducing Cable as the HC and I guess he didn't realize his mic was on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Tk3L5l-EyU

I'm not so sure that one is real .

ATLDirtyBirds
10-04-2008, 04:28 PM
Pretty funny that DeAngelo's already a bust in his eyes. We'll take him back in a second Al.

Stash
10-04-2008, 06:27 PM
It's funny 'cause it's true

http://www.q95.com/pages/Features/Raiders-Coach/

HawkeyeFan
10-05-2008, 12:29 AM
I heard Kiffin said on siruis radio he wants to go back to college football. It would be cool if he went back to SC but he will probably get a head coaching job somewhere.

aka Iowa...please.

MetSox17
10-05-2008, 10:30 AM
Pretty funny that DeAngelo's already a bust in his eyes. We'll take him back in a second Al.

If he took a 4th rounder for Randy, i'm sure you can get Meangelo back for a 5th or so.

/sarcasm.

bearsfan_51
10-05-2008, 05:20 PM
I fear that dislike of Al Davis has somehow convinced everyone that Lane Kiffen is a good head coach, which is pretty speculative at best.

Bucs_Rule
10-05-2008, 08:20 PM
Its pretty sad how he says that Walker was signed because Kiffen said he was a must when it was well understood that Kiffen didn't want him. Bringing up Russell is also very silly as Kiffen wanted to take CJ and than Edwards in the second.

What a nut, not only does this hurt current players it also makes the job even less appealing. Only less qualified and more unkown coaches will take the job in the future. Atleast before coachs knew that they'd get their full contract for 1/2 the years work.

Stash
10-05-2008, 09:55 PM
I fear that dislike of Al Davis has somehow convinced everyone that Lane Kiffen is a good head coach, which is pretty speculative at best.

I kinda agree with you in a way. I do think Lane is a good coach but people seem to be comparing him to Shanahan just because he got canned under similar circumstances. It's not really a fair comparison.

Paranoidmoonduck
10-06-2008, 01:15 AM

What defines good here? Was he on his way to becoming an a great coach? Probably not (not in Oakland, anyway). Was he standing up for himself and injecting more life into the Raiders than any coach since Jon Gruden? Yes.

Changes were happening, even with the extreme resistence from the management. That's really all Raiders fans could have asked for. And hatred for Al Davis doesn't quite sum it up. That press conference single handedly made me less of a Raider fan.

bearsfan_51
10-06-2008, 01:19 AM
What defines good here? Was he on his way to becoming an a great coach? Probably not (not in Oakland, anyway). Was he standing up for himself and injecting more life into the Raiders than any coach since Jon Gruden? Yes.

Changes were happening, even with the extreme resistence from the management. That's really all Raiders fans could have asked for. And hatred for Al Davis doesn't quite sum it up. That press conference single handedly made me less of a Raider fan.
I'm speaking more in terms of everyone and their mom wanting Lane Kiffen to be their next head coach. It makes no sense.

Paranoidmoonduck
10-06-2008, 01:24 AM
I'm speaking more in terms of everyone and their mom wanting Lane Kiffen to be their next head coach. It makes no sense.

Oh, then I agree. I blame his last name more than Al Davis hatred, although I certainly think there's some perception that getting fired by Al Davis means you're awesome or something.

I think Kiffin could well be a fine coach in the NFL, but I think it's a shame he had to start it like he did.

giantsfan
10-06-2008, 01:44 AM
Kiffin did fine and seemed to be ready for the job even at such a young age, plus I like what he's been trying to do there on offense and the giants have a horribly frustrating OC right now.

FlyingElvis
10-06-2008, 12:17 PM
Kiffin has to be considered as a solid HC option at the collegiate level. His work at USC and w/the Raiders show a good young coach with the potential to be a great college coach, and maybe even in the NFL.

I wouldn't say he's great, but if I were a fan of a losing team looking for a new coach I would much rather a guy like Kiffin come in than a retread guy like the NFL franchises seem to favor.