PDA

View Full Version : Stanford is building an army

soybean
10-04-2008, 12:48 AM
not really an army but a very decent class.

stealing Josh Nunes - Tennessee's recruit just cemented the class too.

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/2016/stanfordbe7.png

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/commitlist.asp?Year=2009&School=77&Sport=1

Bruce Banner
10-04-2008, 01:15 AM
I don't really understand recruiting to the fullest extent so if you find me asking "dumb" questions, just go along with it.
Can a school reach prolonged high ranked status within the BCS with almost no 5 star talent? It is probably possible but it probably hasn't happened before, right?
How much 5 star talent did USF have last year? It couldn't have been much, plus they fizzled out.

kwilk103
10-04-2008, 09:18 AM
I don't really understand recruiting to the fullest extent so if you find me asking "dumb" questions, just go along with it.
Can a school reach prolonged high ranked status within the BCS with almost no 5 star talent? It is probably possible but it probably hasn't happened before, right?
How much 5 star talent did USF have last year? It couldn't have been much, plus they fizzled out.

usf didnt have any 5 stars

wvu has only had 2 5 stars---jason gwaltney (bust) and devine

CC
10-04-2008, 09:37 AM

Emphasis on prolonged success, USF has only very recently been good and it doesn't look like WVU is going to be a factor in the NC picture in the years to come.

Hokie_Pokie08
10-04-2008, 10:28 AM

VT has done pretty well with very few 5 star commits.

djp
10-04-2008, 11:00 AM
USF isn't good. They've never been good.

Race for the Heisman
10-04-2008, 11:15 AM
Wisconsin had done pretty well for only having two 5 star (according to Rivals) recruits since 2002.

Babylon
10-04-2008, 01:24 PM

stealing Josh Nunes - Tennessee's recruit just cemented the class too.

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/2016/stanfordbe7.png

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/commitlist.asp?Year=2009&School=77&Sport=1

More like a platoon.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
10-04-2008, 01:33 PM
Good teams who do not get the top guys, but recruit the best and are usually around the top 25:

Wake Forest, Boise State, Fresno State.. Just off the top of my head and in my opinion.

SuperKevin
10-04-2008, 01:36 PM
Terrence Stephens is from my hometown. Goes to my rival HS though :(

bearsfan_51
10-04-2008, 01:41 PM
Stanford isn't going to get a lot of 5 star kids playing in the same state as USC, but simply taking their scraps is better than some schools who don't have enough in-state talent to even field a team. California is loaded.

CashmoneyDrew
10-04-2008, 01:42 PM
They must be really desperate for TE's. Four in one class? Damn. Took our QB too.

Cigaro
10-04-2008, 01:46 PM
They must be really desperate for TE's. Four in one class? Damn. Took our QB too.

One or two could possibly end up on the line, offensive or defensive.

soybean
10-05-2008, 04:56 PM
now Harbaugh has to do something on the field (i like what i see so far, except losing to notre dame) to keep these commits as well as future commits.

getting a qb doesn't hurt.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
10-05-2008, 08:30 PM
now Harbaugh has to do something on the field (i like what i see so far, except losing to notre dame) to keep these commits as well as future commits.

getting a qb doesn't hurt.

Notre Dame is legit this year.

Sniper
10-05-2008, 08:32 PM
Notre Dame is legit this year.

Yes, we know this from the incredible competition they've played.

Stanford's class is really good, though.

doingthisinsteadofwork
10-05-2008, 09:15 PM
Stanford has never been that bad at recruiting.They've actually been pretty good these past couple of years considering their losing record.

SuperKevin
10-05-2008, 09:17 PM
Stanford's academic reputation allows them to have a national recruiting base which gives them an advantage over most teams of their talent level. When it's all said and done, it's hard for a lot of people to turn down a chance at a Stanford education

bearsfan_51
10-05-2008, 09:22 PM
I dunno about that, having high academic standards is almost always a detriment for a football team because you have to field so many players that pass eligibility.

Look at Duke. It's easy to get 15 guys to meet the minimum standards, much harder to find 100.

SuperKevin
10-05-2008, 09:37 PM
I dunno about that, having high academic standards is almost always a detriment for a football team because you have to field so many players that pass eligibility.

Look at Duke. It's easy to get 15 guys to meet the minimum standards, much harder to find 100.

I realize that. Academics won't factor much in most of the 5 star recruits who are using college as a training ground for the pros but it helps them to be able to recruit the mid level prospects from around the nation. Most schools of their level can only get the scraps in their region.

Geomar
10-10-2008, 11:53 PM

I checked into usf's recruiting. Mike Ford their RB, was a five star.

btw, notre dame is not legit this year. They havent played any strong competition yet.

bearsfan_51
10-11-2008, 12:36 AM
I realize that. Academics won't factor much in most of the 5 star recruits who are using college as a training ground for the pros but it helps them to be able to recruit the mid level prospects from around the nation. Most schools of their level can only get the scraps in their region.

Right, but Stanford has that low talent level because they have high academic standards, basically making the original point irrelevant. If they had the academic standards of USC they have a much bigger pool of players to select from.

jnew76
10-18-2008, 08:05 AM
According to Rivals, Missouri has one 5* on their roster - Blaine Gabbert - True Freshman - 3rd String QB.

jballa838
11-25-2008, 11:59 PM
this is why UW is 0-11. This used to be who they scraped up before Ty came about and f***ed up us in SoCal. Ugh

Paranoidmoonduck
11-26-2008, 12:32 AM

I'd say that prolonged high ranked status tends to result in 5-star recruits without fail.

Bruce Banner
11-26-2008, 12:37 AM
I'd say that prolonged high ranked status tends to result in 5-star recruits without fail.

Late to the party?

and yes, I've come to realize that.

yourfavestoner
11-28-2008, 02:02 PM
Stanford isn't going to get a lot of 5 star kids playing in the same state as USC, but simply taking their scraps is better than some schools who don't have enough in-state talent to even field a team. California is loaded.

Exactly. Boise State has risen to prominence in recent years by recruiting kids from the Inland Empire and other areas of California that aren't as highly recruited as the Private/Prep, Orange County, or LA County area schools. There's a ton of talent that simply doesn't even get recruited in Cali. It's sickening almost.

VoteLynnSwan
11-28-2008, 02:42 PM

this is true, but you cannot overlook the effect that offers from those type of schools have on the recruiting services' rankings... An offer from USC, even if all the kids other offers are from the San Jose States, and the Idahos of the world will automatically catapult a player to at least high 3* range...

What i'm saying is that there is a definite relationship between prolonged high ranked status and 5* players... but not necessarily 5* talents.

Crickett
11-28-2008, 02:53 PM

:(

Color me disappointed. I clicked on this thread expecting to read that Stanford has formed its own military force.

Race for the Heisman
12-06-2008, 11:45 PM
I just have to add, I just saw Nunes' tape and he could be special. With Harbaugh guiding him and his raw ability... let's just say I'll be keeping an eye on him.

Xonraider
12-07-2008, 12:01 AM
I don't know much about recruiting but that class looks decent

jballa838
12-07-2008, 09:21 AM
Sarkisian needs to do this at UW.