PDA

View Full Version : Mid-Season Corner Rankings

The Great Jonathan Vilma
10-04-2008, 08:36 PM
I always find this to be one of the more interesting debates on the forum and it usually gets a lot of attention, spurring good debate. Who are your top 5-10 corners? Has it changed over the first 4 games of the season? Are the DeAngelo Hall supporters still behind him? Is Revis in the top 10? Who do people side with so far, Champ or Aso? Has Charles Woodson proven that he belongs back amoung the elite? What are people's opinion of Newman this season?

Beyond just the rankings, who in your opinion has gone up considerably based on this season, and who has dropped?

Maybe it is to early to look back at somethign like this, but it is usually a very hot topic, moreso than any other positional ranking, IMO.

I look forward to hearing people's opinions.

GB12
10-04-2008, 08:42 PM
Has Charles Woodson proven that he belongs back amoung the elite?
If you're basing it soley on the first four games of this season Woodson is for sure top three if not #1.

BlindSite
10-04-2008, 08:43 PM
Homer - Chris Gamble is playing the best football of his life and he is definitely a rising star.

I'm surprised at how far Hall has fallen in such a short amount of time.

Champ Bailey is starting to show his age imo.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
10-04-2008, 08:44 PM
If you're basing it soley on the first four games of this season Woodson is for sure top three if not #1.

not basing it soley on the first 4 games of the season, but i know how people's opinions change on a whim, and how every year players play up or down, let's not think that things don't change over an offseason. I can't tell you how to rank them, just rank who you think are the top corners in the league, which will obviously be influenced by what you have seen thus far this season.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
10-04-2008, 08:45 PM
Homer - Chris Gamble is playing the best football of his life and he is definitely a rising star.

I'm surprised at how far Hall has fallen in such a short amount of time.

Champ Bailey is starting to show his age imo.

I think Champ is just in a terrible situation on our defense. The D can't create pressure to save a life.

Sniper
10-04-2008, 08:48 PM
Asante Samuel is a boss. kthxbai

Shane P. Hallam
10-04-2008, 09:01 PM
I think Champ is just in a terrible situation on our defense. The D can't create pressure to save a life.

And many times the guy he covers is shut down pretty well. The rest of the defense just can't get their man.

RaiderFan
10-04-2008, 09:19 PM
Hall and Cromartie do the same thing but hall get bashed when he gives 5 passes on MNF and Cromartie get better when he gives up 11 passes to the same team. .........Truly amazing.

RaiderFan
10-04-2008, 09:20 PM
Oh yeah and bailey has fallen off and Finnegan and revis are on the rise.

giantsfan
10-04-2008, 09:21 PM
If Webster keeps doing what he's been doing all season he'll have a legit case for making the top 10.

Gay Ork Wang
10-04-2008, 09:22 PM
Asante Samuel is a boss. kthxbai
He got beaten by the Bears WR called Devin Hester. cant be that good

Bruce Banner
10-04-2008, 09:26 PM
Ronde Barber has been eating turf on a regular basis.

As soon as the ball is snapped the WR makes a cut, Ronde falls, TD!

keylime_5
10-04-2008, 10:20 PM
Shawn Springs has been playing like he's in his prime again I saw. Gamble, Winfield, and Clements have been great as well. Sorry, OSU and Cleveland corners are the only guys I know about for sure.

skinzzfan25
10-04-2008, 10:22 PM
Shawn Springs has been playing like he's in his prime again I saw. Gamble, Winfield, and Clements have been great as well. Sorry, OSU and Cleveland corners are the only guys I know about for sure.

Yeah Springs shut down Boldin and did fairly well against TO.

I love the way he's been playing.

GB12
10-04-2008, 10:23 PM
Winfield has been awful

Dr. Gonzo
10-04-2008, 10:56 PM
Winfield has been awful

You are way off. I have actually liked what I have seen from him so far. Take off your homer googles!

adschofield
10-04-2008, 11:01 PM
1. Brandon Carr
2. Brandon Flowers
3. The Rest

djp
10-04-2008, 11:01 PM
Cortland Finnegan is by far the best CB the Vikings have seen this year. That guy is really coming into his own.

Winfield has played ok. He has been burned a couple times but has made some REALLY nice plays.

Sniper
10-04-2008, 11:17 PM
He got beaten by the Bears WR called Devin Hester. cant be that good

Yes, because corners never have bad plays. That's the only time he's been burnt all year.

keylime_5
10-04-2008, 11:21 PM
both games I watched Winfield he looked great.

Vox Populi
10-04-2008, 11:24 PM
I believe you mean quarter season...

JETS5128
10-04-2008, 11:30 PM
Revis is surefire top 5

no questions

PalmerToCJ
10-04-2008, 11:50 PM
Leon Hall has to be close to the top 10 (strictly talking about performance thru this week). He's gotta be up near the top in pass deflections, doesn't have any INT's though. He's been a big reason for why our defense hasn't sucked this year. He's been a very pleasant surprise with Joseph missing games.

Sniper
10-05-2008, 12:01 AM
Leon Hall has to be close to the top 10 (strictly talking about performance thru this week). He's gotta be up near the top in pass deflections, doesn't have any INT's though. He's been a big reason for why our defense hasn't sucked this year. He's been a very pleasant surprise with Joseph missing games.

Really? Sweet. I remember he had a tough rookie season. Good to hear he's doing well.

Malaka
10-05-2008, 12:06 AM
Corey Webster of the Giants is really underrated, he has shut down the likes of Santana Moss, Chad Johnson, and was mediocre against Torry Holt and Holt's TD was not Webster's fault but mostly Kenny Phillips', but that was just a great play by Holt.

HawkeyeFan
10-05-2008, 12:16 AM
Ron Bartell is playing lights out this season. I'm sure Bills fans would vow for him for how he played last week!

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/03megZMexceG5/610x.jpg

Quietly becoming a shut down corner.

Vikes99ej
10-05-2008, 12:20 AM
Antoine Winfield and Cedric Griffin are so underrated it's not even funny. If you don't agree with me you are an unsophisticated, belligerent know-nothing.

HawkeyeFan
10-05-2008, 12:23 AM
I love Winfeild and Griffin.

Thats one hell of a duo, although Jackson pwned Winfield a few years ago I still love his game, physical and dominate.

And Griffin...well....<33

PalmerToCJ
10-05-2008, 12:26 AM
Really? Sweet. I remember he had a tough rookie season. Good to hear he's doing well.

Yeah, he started out pretty rough but his last 8 games or so were solid. This year he's really stepped up, had some great games. I just looked it up he's 2nd in pass deflections. Granted, as I said he has no INT's.

Vox Populi
10-05-2008, 12:33 AM
Ron Bartell did play ridiculously well against the Bills last week, I'll give him that. Too bad Tye Hill and Jason Craft are brutal though.

HawkeyeFan
10-05-2008, 12:37 AM
Haha yeah, considering Bartell got picked on all Half and had what 5 straight pass knock downs? And was stuck the receiver, not to mention he was knocking heads. I know he almost lit up Evans, but just pushed him instead.

Vox Populi
10-05-2008, 12:40 AM
I know he shut down a deep ball to Evans which is unheard of lol. He did a great job covering Hardy though when he was on the field. Craft couldn't stick to anyone though and we just picked on him for the entire second half.

HawkeyeFan
10-05-2008, 12:44 AM
Meh, yeah. Haha, Craft played in front of Manning Jr., and Craft hasn't played football in 2 years.

Linehan didn't let Haslett do any personal changes while he was in St. Louis.

Haslett tried benching Chavous this season and last and Linehan wouldn't let him.

Thank god for Bartell, he's going to be a future pro bowler if he can get some interceptions since thats the stat that people see.

Burns336
10-05-2008, 01:52 AM
My man T-new got shat on last game. But ill be a newman homer till I die.

Caddy
10-05-2008, 02:05 AM
Ronde Barber has been eating turf on a regular basis.

As soon as the ball is snapped the WR makes a cut, Ronde falls, TD!

Unfortunately this is true. I fear this could be the year that he really slips in playing quality.

Sniper
10-05-2008, 07:48 AM
My man T-new got shat on last game. But ill be a newman homer till I die.

Indeed. Not his best effort at all. He's still really good though.

wicket
10-05-2008, 08:05 AM
McKenzie is still awesome, to see how he played after being out for so long, and to see how something comparable affected newman made his performance really impressive

Gay Ork Wang
10-05-2008, 08:08 AM
Tillman is awesome. Pure ballhawk

Saints-Tigers
10-05-2008, 08:28 AM
Craft hasn't played football in two years? That explains that guy in the "Craft" jersey getting beat so much for the Saints :D

abaddon41_80
10-05-2008, 08:46 AM
So far this season the top 5, imo, would be,

1. Cortland Finnegan, Ten: He always puts himself into the right position to make a play.
2. Nate Clements, SF: No homerism here. Completely shut down Larry Fitzgerald and Calvin Johnson, with no pass rush, and is a beast against the run.
3. Charles Woodson, GB: Has just been phenomenal at making plays and knocking down passes. 12 PD and 2 touchdowns through 4 games is amazing
4. Asante Samuel, Phi: It sure as heck wasn't the system in New England that made him look good because he is playing better than he did there
5. Chris Gamble, Car: Every time I watch the Panthers play I see Gamble knocking down a pass, forcing a fumble, or dropping an RB at the LoS

the dude
10-05-2008, 09:54 AM

1. Cortland Finnegan, Ten: He always puts himself into the right position to make a play.
2. Nate Clements, SF: No homerism here. Completely shut down Larry Fitzgerald and Calvin Johnson, with no pass rush, and is a beast against the run.
3. Charles Woodson, GB: Has just been phenomenal at making plays and knocking down passes. 12 PD and 2 touchdowns through 4 games is amazing
4. Asante Samuel, Phi: It sure as heck wasn't the system in New England that made him look good because he is playing better than he did there
5. Chris Gamble, Car: Every time I watch the Panthers play I see Gamble knocking down a pass, forcing a fumble, or dropping an RB at the LoS

I kinda like those rankings, I would probably put revis somewhere on that list though

Malaka
10-05-2008, 10:22 AM
My rankings would go a little like this...

1. Charles Woodson: This man has been phenomanal to start the year hopefully he keeps his play up throughout the year. Although, Al Harris has not played very well when he was in, and is now dealing with injuries, Woodson has stepped up for Harris and is really playing amazing.

2. Cortland Finnegan: Has been playing lights out like I always knew he would. Finnegan will be the best spot in the Titan's secondary for a long time. One of the reasons the Titans have been so good is their defense, and last year, teams would bully the secondary, not the case this year.

3. Asante Samuel: I always knew Asante would do well outside of New England, because whether or not it was the system, he is still an excellent cornerback, and if he is a system CB, then he is lucky because Philadelphia's scheme quite similar although ran in a 4-3 not a 3-4 like New England. Unfortunately, Samuel is on a division rival not good for Eli :(

4. Chris Gamble: He is currently playing the best football of his life. The last couple of years Gamble has only been average, but now, he is all-over the ball, everytime you watch the Panthers you will always see him make a play. Like Woodson, Gamble has stepped up for a teammate, Ken Lucas seems to have lost a step.

5. Darrele Revis: He is the best young corner in the league in my opinion. To be honest, I was pissed the Giants did not get Revis, although Ross is not a bad consolidation prize... I love Revis' game. He is a ballhawk, lockdown corner, good height, and great speed, what else do you need? He has gone up against excellent wide receivers such as Randy Moss, Larry Fitzgerald, etc. and has held them to limited damage.

6. Charles Tillman: Tillman was already a better over all corner than Vasher, but Vasher was considered a much better playmaker... not really anymore. Tillman has been all over the ball, and has helped make this Bears defense where it was when they made it to the Super Bowl. Tillman has been a complete corner the last few games, and I hope he continues to imrpove his play.

7. Antoine Winfield: A very underated corner for the Vikings someone said, you sir are right. Winfield happens to probably the best Corner against the run at least in my opinion, and is showing that he can cover receivers just as well, at 32 years old, Winfield is really playing hard although the Vikings haven't been as good as advertised before the season.

8. Nate Clements: I agree he can be considered top 10 not so much top 5 or number 2 overall. Clements has played very well against great receivers. Clements and Patrick Willis on the best players on this 49ers defense, and now Clements is showing that he deserves that tremendous he was given by the 49ers.

9. Champ Bailey: Say what you want, but he has been the only bright spot in an atrocious Broncos defense. With zero pass rush, no safeties, and Dre Bly screwing up next to him it is hard to keep NFL receivers on lockdown for a whole game. He has fallen off a bit but is still without a doubt a top ten corner through the season right now, most of the time he has had his receiver locked up, but you cannot put the blame all on him.

10. Corey Webster: Might me be a homer pick, because he has no INTs but, he has locked up the likes of Santana Moss, Torry Holt, and Chad Johnson. Only giving a touchdown to Holt, which was not his fault, it was mostly a great veteran play and a rookie mistake by Kenny Phillips. Ever since that game winning INT in Lambeau Webster has been better than Aaron Ross, and has played so well that in my opinion he deserves a spot in the top 10, his lack of INTs are on the Giants defense as a whole but if he does get a few that definitely puts him even higher on this list.

abaddon41_80
10-05-2008, 10:23 AM
Revis would probably be around 7 or 8, imo. I hesitate to put him the top 5 because the entire Jets secondary allowed the Cardinals back into the game last week and 3 Cardinal receivers had 100+ yards

HawkeyeFan
10-05-2008, 10:58 AM
Craft hasn't played football in two years? That explains that guy in the "Craft" jersey getting beat so much for the Saints :D

Thats how he plays, as if its been years :(

bernbabybern820
10-05-2008, 02:14 PM

My rankings would go a little like this...

1. Charles Woodson: This man has been phenomanal to start the year hopefully he keeps his play up throughout the year. Although, Al Harris has not played very well when he was in, and is now dealing with injuries, Woodson has stepped up for Harris and is really playing amazing.

2. Cortland Finnegan: Has been playing lights out like I always knew he would. Finnegan will be the best spot in the Titan's secondary for a long time. One of the reasons the Titans have been so good is their defense, and last year, teams would bully the secondary, not the case this year.

3. Asante Samuel: I always knew Asante would do well outside of New England, because whether or not it was the system, he is still an excellent cornerback, and if he is a system CB, then he is lucky because Philadelphia's scheme quite similar although ran in a 4-3 not a 3-4 like New England. Unfortunately, Samuel is on a division rival not good for Eli :(

4. Chris Gamble: He is currently playing the best football of his life. The last couple of years Gamble has only been average, but now, he is all-over the ball, everytime you watch the Panthers you will always see him make a play. Like Woodson, Gamble has stepped up for a teammate, Ken Lucas seems to have lost a step.

5. Darrele Revis: He is the best young corner in the league in my opinion. To be honest, I was pissed the Giants did not get Revis, although Ross is not a bad consolidation prize... I love Revis' game. He is a ballhawk, lockdown corner, good height, and great speed, what else do you need? He has gone up against excellent wide receivers such as Randy Moss, Larry Fitzgerald, etc. and has held them to limited damage.

6. Charles Tillman: Tillman was already a better over all corner than Vasher, but Vasher was considered a much better playmaker... not really anymore. Tillman has been all over the ball, and has helped make this Bears defense where it was when they made it to the Super Bowl. Tillman has been a complete corner the last few games, and I hope he continues to imrpove his play.

7. Antoine Winfield: A very underated corner for the Vikings someone said, you sir are right. Winfield happens to probably the best Corner against the run at least in my opinion, and is showing that he can cover receivers just as well, at 32 years old, Winfield is really playing hard although the Vikings haven't been as good as advertised before the season.

8. Nate Clements: I agree he can be considered top 10 not so much top 5 or number 2 overall. Clements has played very well against great receivers. Clements and Patrick Willis on the best players on this 49ers defense, and now Clements is showing that he deserves that tremendous he was given by the 49ers.

9. Champ Bailey: Say what you want, but he has been the only bright spot in an atrocious Broncos defense. With zero pass rush, no safeties, and Dre Bly screwing up next to him it is hard to keep NFL receivers on lockdown for a whole game. He has fallen off a bit but is still without a doubt a top ten corner through the season right now, most of the time he has had his receiver locked up, but you cannot put the blame all on him.

10. Corey Webster: Might me be a homer pick, because he has no INTs but, he has locked up the likes of Santana Moss, Torry Holt, and Chad Johnson. Only giving a touchdown to Holt, which was not his fault, it was mostly a great veteran play and a rookie mistake by Kenny Phillips. Ever since that game winning INT in Lambeau Webster has been better than Aaron Ross, and has played so well that in my opinion he deserves a spot in the top 10, his lack of INTs are on the Giants defense as a whole but if he does get a few that definitely puts him even higher on this list.

LMAO 11 names and not one mentions the best corner in the league Aso.

Malaka
10-05-2008, 02:25 PM

Because I understand... that... you know... the Raiders suck, but he has been average, he has not been brimming with excellence, he hasn't been bad, and I guess you can make the case then why I put Bailey there, and that is because I have seen more of him I guess, and I have some respect for him, and I agree that from last year Scrabble is the best corner in the league, but through these first 5 games... no...

robert pancake gallery
10-05-2008, 02:31 PM
there's two names that are going unnoticed this year: michael lehan and fred smoot. both guys are making plays this year.

skinzzfan25
10-05-2008, 02:38 PM
there's two names that are going unnoticed this year: michael lehan and fred smoot. both guys are making plays this year.

Smoot has been alright, nothing special.

I'd say Rogers has out-preformed him so far, especially coming from such a bad injury last year.

DeathbyStat
10-05-2008, 02:47 PM
Cortland Finnegan

scottyboy
10-05-2008, 03:04 PM
If Webster keeps doing what he's been doing all season he'll have a legit case for making the top 10.

no, just...no

he hasn't even been our best CB, Ross is our stud-muffin

giantsfan
10-05-2008, 03:50 PM
no, just...no

I love Ross, but Webster has been out playing him this season. And I've been a big critic of Websters since his sophomore season, I liked the pick because he was a big strong physical playmaker, but I was convinced his lack of quickness and poor hip swivel would prevent him from excelling as an NFL corner, he's proven me wrong his past 10 games. Webster's been on another level than ross this season and if he keeps it up he'll be a top 10 corner. Now Ross could be a top 10 corner in a few years, but right now Webster's well ahead of him.

Malaka
10-05-2008, 03:50 PM
no, just...no

Nah, Webster has been all-around better this year, Ross was getting owned by Housh last week although half of that was Dockery playing on Housh.

Webster has shutdown every receiver he has been up against, he is our #1 corner, he lines up against the #1 receivers and continued his stellar play today against Seattle.

scottyboy
10-05-2008, 03:55 PM
Nah, Webster has been all-around better this year, Ross was getting owned by Housh last week although half of that was Dockery playing on Housh.

Webster has shutdown every receiver he has been up against, he is our #1 corner, he lines up against the #1 receivers and continued his stellar play today against Seattle.

everyone plays stellar against seattle...

Webster still doesn't have the ball skills to become a top 10 CB. not at all. He's played a little better than Ross, but not by all that much. Ross is a more talented CB. He had a bad game against whosyourmomma, but that's understandable. Webster looks good, but isn't, and doesn't have the potential to be top 10.

Ross is the complete package, SPags LOVES him on blitzes, he makes plays on the ball and is an excellent tackler. He hasn't been spectacular thus far, but has been damn good. Both are top 30 CBs, or will be within the next year or so, possibly pushing for top 20(Mainly Ross)

Malaka
10-05-2008, 04:00 PM
everyone plays stellar against seattle...

Webster still doesn't have the ball skills to become a top 10 CB. not at all. He's played a little better than Ross, but not by all that much. Ross is a more talented CB. He had a bad game against whosyourmomma, but that's understandable. Webster looks good, but isn't, and doesn't have the potential to be top 10.

Ross is the complete package, SPags LOVES him on blitzes, he makes plays on the ball and is an excellent tackler. He hasn't been spectacular thus far, but has been damn good. Both are top 30 CBs, or will be within the next year or so, possibly pushing for top 20(Mainly Ross)

We aren't talking about potential to be top ten... we are talking about through the first 5 games whose performances are top ten. Ross let up 8 recs on Bobby Engram, while Webster let up 3 to Branch.

I love Ross, but through our first 4 games, Webster has outplayed him, obviously Ross has the speed, the size, the ball skills, and the cover skills to be a top ten corner in the league, but through 4 games Webster is our best corner, and his performances at least in my eyes make him top ten through five.

Staubach12
10-05-2008, 06:19 PM
(Fill in top corner on your team) is obviously the best.

TitleTown088
10-05-2008, 06:28 PM

Webster a top ten CB? As Scotty pointed out he's not even the best on the Giants. Come on.
I think this thread should be titled " name a CB on your team and say they're elite". Suddenly, there are 32 shutdown corner backs in the NFL.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-05-2008, 07:02 PM
Carlos Rogers would be in top discussions if he didn't have rock hands.

BamaFalcon59
10-05-2008, 08:29 PM
Hall and Cromartie do the same thing but hall get bashed when he gives 5 passes on MNF and Cromartie get better when he gives up 11 passes to the same team. .........Truly amazing.

Very true. Last year he was lockdown but before that he was very much like Cromartie, give up completions but also make big plays.

I haven't watched him much this year, but I did see an amazing pick against the Bills.

BamaFalcon59
10-05-2008, 08:35 PM
As for the Falcons, Brent Grimes has been a disappointment. He is always in good position and is a great athlete, but he doesn't have the size. A NFL quality CB, but not what I thought he would be.

Chris Houston on the other hand has improved vastly. He hasn't been targeted every other play like last year and even has an interception for a touchdown, even if it was a gimmy. Very, very physical, sometimes too physical. But he is getting better.

bernbabybern820
10-05-2008, 10:31 PM
Because I understand... that... you know... the Raiders suck, but he has been average, he has not been brimming with excellence, he hasn't been bad, and I guess you can make the case then why I put Bailey there, and that is because I have seen more of him I guess, and I have some respect for him, and I agree that from last year Scrabble is the best corner in the league, but through these first 5 games... no...

Average? He has had the ball thrown to him twice in 4 games... 1 he batted away and the other he forced a fumble.

And lol at you getting angry that im right so you have to bring the Raiders into this.

giantsfan
10-05-2008, 11:53 PM
Webster a top ten CB? As Scotty pointed out he's not even the best on the Giants. Come on.
I think this thread should be titled " name a CB on your team and say they're elite". Suddenly, there are 32 shutdown corner backs in the NFL.

Webster was really good in last years playoffs and he's playing shutdown ball as our number 1. Ross has shown plenty of flashes and has versatility but Webster has been on another level, he's really been having a great season.

Bruce Banner
10-05-2008, 11:56 PM
So much of a corner's play is based on the pass-rush that I am hesitant to make any list.

djp
10-06-2008, 12:04 AM
So much of a corner's play is based on the pass-rush that I am hesitant to make any list.

Exactly.

It is so hard to judge a corners play because you don't see them every play and most INTs are a direct result of a rushed throw anyways.

Mr. Stiller
10-06-2008, 12:06 AM
I love Ike Taylor..

But wow, Bryant McFadden is setting himself up for a HUGE FA contraft. The guy is physical, he can handle the big WR's and can man up the small quick ones, always in position to make the breakup or INT.

I would love to see what he can do playing more Man2Man.

Gay Ork Wang
10-06-2008, 04:20 AM
I love Ike Taylor..

But wow, Bryant McFadden is setting himself up for a HUGE FA contraft. The guy is physical, he can handle the big WR's and can man up the small quick ones, always in position to make the breakup or INT.

I would love to see what he can do playing more Man2Man.
ur like the steelers blindsite

Jonny
10-06-2008, 06:59 AM
Corey Webster and Aaron Ross have both looked very good.

abaddon41_80
10-06-2008, 07:59 AM

He hasn't been that good this year.

eazyb81
10-06-2008, 08:15 AM
Cortland Finnegan is an absolute stud. Awesome ball skills, covers WRs like glue, and can lay the hammer down in the open field. Titans got so lucky with him.

bigbluedefense
10-06-2008, 11:32 AM
I think through 5 games, Corey Webster's name should be mentioned as up there.

Some clarification on the Giants in my opinion: Corey Webster is our best CB. He has been nothing but lights out the entire season so far. He covers the #1 target on the other team, and completely shuts them down. He gets dirty in the run game too. The only thing missing from his resume is turnovers. But he blankets WRs. I believe the most yards he's given up himself in 4 games has been like 30 yards. He's a shutdown CB.

That catch by Holt btw, was on a zone coverage (i believe Cover 2), the onus was on the safety (Phillips), but moreso, give props to Holt for making an amazing catch that shouldve never been caught.

Ross btw, is also developing into a stud, but a different kind of stud. He's also shutdown, but will occasionally give some underneath routes to his man. But he's also more versatile, with his ability to blitz, and has better ball skills when the ball is in the air. Both compliment each other very well, and remind me of the old Philly duo of Lito and Brown.

The Giants CBs are quietly developing into one of the better duos in the league, and in my eyes, the most underrated duo in the league. Unlike last year when our defense was primarily all about our pass rush, this year, our coverage is 10X better, and our pass rush isn't as great, yet we're yielding similar results, primarily bc of our much much improved pass coverage across the board.

661rep
10-06-2008, 12:37 PM
Asomugha is still the man and QB's still don't throw his way. I've only seen 3 passes thrown his way and none of them were complete except for one and he forced the fumble from lee evans. It's so sad to see QB's picking on the 70 million dollar man and not even looking Aso's way.

Mr. Stiller
10-07-2008, 02:17 AM
ur like the steelers blindsite

u like.. add nothing to the discussion.

I said neither was elite. Ike Taylor has been a pretty shut down corner running back to 2005. Underrated? Sure.. I think he's probably in the 10-13 range in all honesty.

Bryant McFadden is looking at a huge contract. Watch the games. Dude is phenomenal.

Denver Bronco99
10-07-2008, 02:47 AM
I would have to say its hard to argue against champ....having him healthy and no naggin groin injuries

A very telling sign was a graphic that was displayed last game

he has only been thrown at 11 times, with no completions and no touchdowns alowed.....and not to mention the many tackles he makes on the running backs

he has lived up to the billing of being SHUTDOWN

DMWSackMachine
10-07-2008, 04:25 AM
I've watched a ton of football so far this year, and the best CB I've seen, fwiw, has been Shawn Springs. Which is interesting, because I distinctly remember having a heated discussion two years ago with a few Skins fans, in which I insisted that the dude was past his prime and going down hill fast. He has blown me away. He played bump and run with TO, TO!, and held him in check for most of the game. Aside from that, he was also excellent against Boldin (and Fitzgerald, when he was on him), and didn't give any plays up against NO for the few minutes when I was watching that game.

Among others that have caught my eye, are Finnegan (obviously), Woodson (duh, but he's been phenomenal all around, truly), Carlos Rogers (the guy is a talent, and if he can stay on the field, he could emerge as a top tier CB down the road), Cromartie (he's been pooh), Flowers (was good the first few games, but got schooled vs. the Panthers) and Jacquez Reeves (still horrible).

As a sidenote, I haven't been following the Broncos defense too closely, just mainly watching as they roll out the red carpet for whatever offense they happen to be facing that day, but I am extremely skeptical about Champ being anything remotely close to shut-down with the way they've been walked all over so far this year. Again, I have no Champ-specific stats or even anecdotes to cite, but it doesn't sound right to me.

That is all.

DMWSackMachine
10-07-2008, 04:34 AM
Oh, and for the guy who asked about Newman, he has been plagued by a groin/abdominal/don't-know-wtf injury since the first week of training camp. Missed all of preseason and camp, and the first game of the season before playing on the nickel in our second game. He had a decent game against GB in the 3rd game, but proceeded to have what (by virtue of a general cowboy fan consensus) was almost certainly the worst game of his career against the Redskins. He then went back on the injury report and didn't play against Cinncy, and underwent further tests today to determine what the cause of the dysfunction and pain could be. There are whispers that he could miss significant time.

A Perfect Score
10-07-2008, 08:33 AM
Shawn Springs has been lights out this year. Hes playing like hes 25 years old again. Which is good for him, Ive always liked him.

But lets for a moment look at one of his fellow Ohio State Alums. Right now, Antoine Winfield is absolutely dominating. I have watched a few Vikings games this year, and he has stood out in both. Sure he may get burned every now and then, but I honestly have never seen a CB hit like him. He hits like a LB. Not to mention the amount of game changing plays he has this year. Dude is playing lights out atm and its good to see.

TitanHope
10-07-2008, 09:51 AM
The Titans CB's are unique. They're primarily tacklers rather than true cover guys, though they're quite adept at jumping routes. The Titans pass-rush compliments them greatly. QB's have to get rid of the ball on quick drops or slants, and the CB's are there to break up the pass, tackle the WR, or even intercept the ball. In fact, the Titans' leading tackler is CB Nick Harper, followed by SS Chris Hope, and then CB Cortland Finnegan. The DB's are leading the team in tackles. Finnegan was a FS at Samford, and brings that physicality to the position. Harper played in a Cover 2 most of his career also. Even Michael Griffin was started at CB. I think that's what sets them apart from other CB's around the league.

One player to keep an eye on, and other Titans fans have heard me preaching this, is Eric King. The Titans picked him up in 2006, and he's been developed behind the likes of Cortland Finnegan and Chris Hope. In fact, King is a Finnegan clone. They play just alike - it's uncanny. I feel King will make a name for himself in the same fashion. Rise up through the ranks and force the coaches to give him more and more playing time. Everytime he's on the field, he's a part of the play. Having both Finnegan and King as the future is exciting!