PDA

View Full Version : Shonn Greene RB-Iowa

steelernation77
10-04-2008, 11:02 PM
So I will preface this by saying that I'm an Iowa student, but Shonn Greene, I believe, has emerged as a legitimate pro prospect.

At 5'11" 235lbs., he's got a pro style body. He's got over 100 yards rushing in every game this year and has averaged at least 5 yards a carry in every game. Iowa's passing attack isn't much, so he's running against teams keying solely on him. Today against Michigan State he had 30 carries for 157 yard.

He doesn't have top end speed, but he reads holes well and hits the line fast. He rarely goes down on first contact.

His sophomore year, he returned kicks. In 2007 he missed the entire season because of grades. He attended a juco to raise his grades but was not playing football. Despite getting out of shape and reportedly weighing around 250+ in the spring, he came back this year and won the starting job. He's still not totally in shape, but he's proven that he has not lost his talent.

I think Greene, if he continues to run well, will enter the pro draft after this year, despite having a year of eligibility left. He's 23 years old and has shown that he struggles academically. However, I do not count this against him. Ferentz said he believes Shonn's fight to get back to the team has matured him and shown him what he has to lose.

For those of you that have seen him, feel free to add your own thoughts. For those that haven't, I suggest watching a game, his physicality is impressive.

STARHEATHER
10-04-2008, 11:19 PM
like him very much. i dont see him as a rd 1 prospect but i do see him as one of the better backs available. not a superfreak athlete in the jonathan stewart mold but similar in punishing style of running. showed adequate speed, but not great home run speed. not ultra elusive. shows the ability to make multiple cuts and finishes runs going forward. rarely has a negative gain. power is good, elusiveness so so. speed so so. gets consistent yardage as opposed to long runs followed by a bevy of drive killing short gains. hes an average athlete with above average power. one problem i do have is that hes shown some problems with getting his bell rung, although one of the plays would have broght a 15k fine vs nw. has shown the ability to get hard yards in limited space, but hasnt shown that freaky make you miss ability or great home run ability. hes only adequate in too many areas to be considered a rd 1 pick, but in an extremely weak class of backs hes near the head of the class. a rd 2-3 value prospect who could possibly be an adequate nfl back. i dont see greatness.not quick enough in the short area or game breaking fast enough. but i do see a guy who can get yards at the nfl level. no major fumbling or injury issues other than the problems getting his bell rung. not much of a pass catch threat and showed marginal pass blocking vs michigan st

Vikes99ej
10-04-2008, 11:28 PM
Anyone who would take a 24 year-old rookie running back needs help.

iBoldin
10-05-2008, 01:16 AM
Why? He's not the sharpest tool in the shed, but saying that anyone would need help because they chose a 24 year old isn't showing too much intelligence themselves. It won't effect him on the field, or in the film room, so really that argument has no base at all.

I love Shonn Greene though, really do. Right now I think he's a late 1st round grade, and I do think he declares. Really nice size, has good power and doesn't go down on first contact.

steelernation77
10-05-2008, 11:12 AM
Anyone who would take a 24 year-old rookie running back needs help.

He turned 23 in late August, so he'll be 23 during the draft, although 24 when the season starts.

For being 23, he doesn't have a lot of wear on him. He didn't play any football last year, and did not see consistent carries as a freshman or sophomore. He's got a big strong body that looks capable of taking hits in the NFL.

I'm not saying I think he'll be a first round pick. However, if you look at the type of season he's having, combined with his style of running, I think he'll definitely get drafted should he declare.

ToldLikeItIs
10-05-2008, 12:00 PM
This is the third thread and him, and still no response from the only opinion that really matters.

What do you think Scott? Is he worth twenty seconds of your time for a quick analysis or no?

Probably not. Many Hawks aren't.

robert pancake gallery
10-05-2008, 01:37 PM
i guess its about time that he retires from the mlb and puts his talent to use at the nfl level
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/98/248748881_e289f311f1.jpg
if you ask me i think he tested positive for steroids, just look at that guy his head is way too big for his body... i guess he thinks the nfl will overlook his rampant drug abuse

PoopSandwich
10-05-2008, 01:37 PM
Shawn Green is the best player in the MLB ever so i bet he could win several super bowls as a qb.

robert pancake gallery
10-05-2008, 01:39 PM
Wrong Thread

whos that cute girl playing guitar in that picture

SuperKevin
10-05-2008, 01:41 PM
Kay Jay Harris part 2

steelernation77
10-19-2008, 12:22 AM
So,
217 yards and four touchdowns on 25 carries.

Anyone have anymore thoughts on him?

I'll start.

Shonn Greene is much better than Javon Ringer.

BackwoodsBoy
10-19-2008, 10:13 AM
He'll be 24 years old before kickoff weekend. That alone is going to drop him down draft boards. Doesn't mean he's not going to be successful in the pros for a while, but his career won't last all that long and teams won't want to use a high pick on him.

steelernation77
10-19-2008, 11:10 AM
He'll be 24 years old before kickoff weekend. That alone is going to drop him down draft boards. Doesn't mean he's not going to be successful in the pros for a while, but his career won't last all that long and teams won't want to use a high pick on him.

That's true, but he also doesn't have much wear on him. He only had 69 carries his freshman and sophomore year combined, and then took a year off of football.

Paranoidmoonduck
10-19-2008, 11:11 AM
I think teams will knock Javon Ringer further down than Green for Ringer's excessive number of carries than for Green's age. 24 isn't all that ridiculous.

And yes, depending on who comes out this time around, Green might have a shot at the lower 1st round.

BackwoodsBoy
10-19-2008, 11:13 AM
That's true, but he also doesn't have much wear on him. He only had 69 carries his freshman and sophomore year combined, and then took a year off of football.

Not very much wear on his body still only goes so far as aging will still always naturally wear on the body. He maybe able to be competitive for an addition year as compared to most NFL backs do to less wear and tear, but he's already 2, 3 and in some cases 4 years behind.