PDA

View Full Version : Crabtree.

ATLDirtyBirds
10-05-2008, 07:02 PM
I'm interested to hear what everyone thinks. I'm personally a huge fan, and think he's going to be a stud.

BuddyCHRIST
10-05-2008, 07:04 PM
I like him alot, big fast and physical whose a great overall athlete as well. Sure TT inflates his numbers but he would be great anywhere and he looks like a sure fire first rounder physically.

djp
10-05-2008, 07:05 PM
He is a beast. He is not at the level of the true stud prospects like Andre Johnson and Calvin Johnson, but the guy is a bonafide legit receiver.

An EXCELLENT route runner with great hands and good speed. Also a very physical receiver. I fear his timed speed won't be great, but everything else should test out phenomenal.

Smokey Joe
10-05-2008, 07:47 PM
I'm a big fan of his, but I could see him going in the late teens-early 20's in the draft because his timed speed won't be as good as Maclin, Harvey, or DHB.

I see DHB going top 10 because of his combination of size and speed. Teams will be drooling over a receiver with 6'3" height, 205+ lbs, and 4.3-4.4 speed.

Draft King
10-05-2008, 09:36 PM
Maybe it's just me but I see a little Anquan Boldin in him. I know Boldin was a QB earlier so it's tough to say, but I could see Crabtree taking the same draft day fall.

Sniper
10-05-2008, 09:38 PM
Search function is your friend.

To answer the question, it is ridiculous to even suggest that someone may on his level right now. He's amazing. Great hands, routes, YAC ability, good built etc...A #1 option.

adschofield
10-05-2008, 10:09 PM
Reminds me so much of Dwayne Bowe...His body control, his size, the way he uses his body, the way he fights for extra yardage, and even his speed are all similar to D-Bowe.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
10-05-2008, 10:10 PM
He's overrated. How many times have you seen him sky up and catch a ball 20 feet high with one hand, and a blindfold on? That's how NFL WRs make catches. I watched the tape, and he did not do that once. One way ticket to bustville.

adschofield
10-05-2008, 10:10 PM
I'm a big fan of his, but I could see him going in the late teens-early 20's in the draft because his timed speed won't be as good as Maclin, Harvey, or DHB.

I see DHB going top 10 because of his combination of size and speed. Teams will be drooling over a receiver with 6'3" height, 205+ lbs, and 4.3-4.4 speed.

I don't think he's that fast...I'd say he's anywhere in the 4.4-4.55 range, which isn't a knock because he has great game speed, but it might cause him to drop a bit on draft day.

HUGH!
10-05-2008, 10:13 PM
He's overrated. How many times have you seen him sky up and catch a ball 20 feet high with one hand, and a blindfold on? That's how NFL WRs make catches. I watched the tape, and he did not do that once. One way ticket to bustville.

+rep he doesn't have the speed to make it in the nfl. Percy Harvin is better.

adschofield
10-05-2008, 10:17 PM
+rep he doesn't have the speed to make it in the nfl. Percy Harvin is better.

There are plenty of receivers that make it in the NFL without great timed speed, and few of them have the physical abilities and size that Crabtree does.

Smokey Joe
10-05-2008, 11:07 PM
Marquis Colston's 40 time was what again?

MidwayMonster31
10-05-2008, 11:17 PM
If Crabtree gets the right coaching, he could surprise at the combine. If he goes in at 6-3, 215 and runs about a 4.45, he should be all right.
There are few cornerbacks that could match up with his size and physicality in the pros. The system he played in will make it more difficult to evaluate him, but he should be fine with learning routes.

djp
10-05-2008, 11:39 PM

Like 7.33 I think

Bruce Banner
10-06-2008, 12:24 AM
Could be a West Coast Offense god.

LonghornsLegend
10-06-2008, 12:27 AM
Who cares what his 40 is, his shuttle will be one of the fastest for a WR period, he can stop on a dime and accelerate back to top speed quickly, great body control, he's got everything you look for in a WR and I've seen enough to know he's legit...Maclin will probably be drafted before him, but Crabtree will be a star regardless.

BamaFalcon59
10-06-2008, 12:44 AM
I don't think he's that fast...I'd say he's anywhere in the 4.4-4.55 range, which isn't a knock because he has great game speed, but it might cause him to drop a bit on draft day.

Heyward-Bey does not run a 4.5. At worst he will be in the low-4.4 range.

Bruce Banner
10-06-2008, 12:53 AM

++, I've heard that he could possibly run a 4.3x

Paranoidmoonduck
10-06-2008, 12:56 AM

I'm sorry, but the guy has 12 catches through 5 games. He's a chronic underproducer. I think he's lucky to get into the first round unless he seriously picks it up.

As for Crabtree, I really like him as a player. My only concern is that we always see him function in space and we won't really get a chance to see what happens when he's one of only two receivers on the field and he's getting pressed and how he functions with the ball in his hands in tight spaces.

thule
10-06-2008, 01:02 AM
Not to change the subject but looking at DHB from a prospect standpoint I think he'll put up slightly better combine numbers than a guy like Meachem but doesn't quite have the production that Meachem had coming out....draft slot should be about the same for both of them I would say. This DHB in the top 10 stuff is silly.

BamaFalcon59
10-06-2008, 01:04 AM
I'm sorry, but the guy has 12 catches through 5 games. He's a chronic underproducer. I think he's lucky to get into the first round unless he seriously picks it up.

As for Crabtree, I really like him as a player. My only concern is that we always see him function in space and we won't really get a chance to see what happens when he's one of only two receivers on the field and he's getting pressed and how he functions with the ball in his hands in tight spaces.

Maryland's quarterback play has been pathetic throughout Bay's career. He is absolutely legit. Maybe not a number one receiver at this point, but the ability is there.

Paranoidmoonduck
10-06-2008, 01:08 AM
Maryland's quarterback play has been pathetic throughout Bay's career. He is absolutely legit. Maybe not a number one receiver at this point, but the ability is there.

I'm sorry, but in terms of production he doesn't even stand out when measured against his less talented teammates. Quarterback play hasn't been great, but Bey doesn't seem to get more than 3 or 4 balls thrown his way per game. He runs mostly crap routes and doesn't work his coverage man very well.

The talent is there, but it's not in as much excess as some people believe, and it's a very far away from being realized.

thule
10-06-2008, 01:09 AM
Not that it is fair to compare any WR to Calvin Johnson...but he put up incredible numbers with nothing at QB...so that argument is sometimes mute when you look at it from a NFL perspective.

BamaFalcon59
10-06-2008, 01:11 AM
Not that it is fair to compare any WR to Calvin Johnson...but he put up incredible numbers with nothing at QB...so that argument is sometimes mute when you look at it from a NFL perspective.

You said it.

But I'll take Bey as a deep threat over any player in this draft, and he is the most physically and athletically gifted receiver of the bunch.

I like Crabtree over him easy, but I have him right there with Maclin.

Flyboy
10-06-2008, 01:13 AM
Crabtree = pure beastsauce.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-06-2008, 09:59 AM
Crabtree is top 15 talent.

BamaFalcon59
10-06-2008, 10:06 AM
Just to make it clear Reggie Ball is Peyton Manning compared to any QB DHB has ever had. Also you must consider with Lance Ball and Keon Lattimore and now Da'rel Scott the Terps are predominantly a running team. The fact of the matter is that when Heyward-Bey touches the ball he is more likely to go 80 yards to the house than not. He is clearly the best deep threat in this draft. There have been at least 20 times in his career when he has burnt coverage but the QB has lofted a ball up there to allow the defense to catch him. He has good hands and is a decent route runner. I agree it wouldn't be fair to compare him to Crabtree because of Crabtree's production, but Heyward-Bey honestly only gets 3-4 balls thrown to him a game. And DHB does have legit 4.3-4.4 speed, if anyone saw him run track in high school.

Or you can just watch these...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI-rEopKpSs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnCm5Uhh6XE

He's a freak...he's the fastest kid alive.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-06-2008, 10:13 AM

Yup if you look at the time he went 96 yards in 10 seconds, and that is a TD catch in a game in which he gave a slight hesitation on his route. That's rediculous.

Sniper
10-06-2008, 10:23 AM
Yup if you look at the time he went 96 yards in 10 seconds, and that is a TD catch in a game in which he gave a slight hesitation on his route. That's rediculous.

Almost as ridiculous as spelling ridiculous rediculous. ;)

I'm interested in seeing what DHB could do with a competent QB.

BamaFalcon59
10-06-2008, 10:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7PgcgLyGpU

He fast.

BrabbitMcRabbit
10-06-2008, 06:51 PM
Stud. Top 8 pick in the draft.

adschofield
10-06-2008, 06:54 PM

Whoops...My bad, I thought he was talking about Crabtree

DreadedDatSkinsFan
10-06-2008, 07:08 PM

HAHAHAHAHHA @ the SuperBad reference...

BamaFalcon59
10-06-2008, 07:16 PM
HAHAHAHAHHA @ the SuperBad reference...

Lol I wanted to see if someone saw it. I actually just saw the movie for the first time a few days ago. Amazing movie.

I lold so sard when they were talking about McLovin, no last name haha.

DreadedDatSkinsFan
10-06-2008, 07:23 PM
Lol I wanted to see if someone saw it. I actually just saw the movie for the first time a few days ago. Amazing movie.

I lold so sard when they were talking about McLovin, no last name haha.
Man that scene u mentioned though....Classic....when Seth Rogan was hurling and he said "Its jusr beer.......Its just beer"....I die laughing to this day and Ive watched the movie no less than 100 times...lol

BamaFalcon59
10-06-2008, 07:34 PM
Man that scene u mentioned though....Classic....when Seth Rogan was hurling and he said "Its jusr beer.......Its just beer"....I die laughing to this day and Ive watched the movie no less than 100 times...lol

The whole movie was great, awesome comedy.

regoob2
10-06-2008, 07:50 PM
Crabtree reminds me of Braylon Edwards. Similar size and speed. Crabtree is powerful and great after the catch. His long speed isn't elite but it's good enough to make him a deep threat in the NFL. Like I said before it takes more than a great 40 to be a deep threat in the NFL.

BamaFalcon59
10-06-2008, 07:52 PM
Crabtree reminds me of Braylon Edwards. Similar size and speed. Crabtree is powerful and great after the catch. His long speed isn't elite but it's good enough to make him a deep threat in the NFL. Like I said before it takes more than a great 40 to be a deep threat in the NFL.

While both of them (Crabtree and Braylon Edwards) can make the spectacular catch, Crabtree's hands are much more consistent.

I can see the comparison, though.

Sniper
10-06-2008, 07:55 PM

It sure does. Crabtree averages over 14.5 ypc, which for a 6'3", 200 pounder is really good. Hell, it's pretty good for almost anyone. By comparison, Ted Ginn and his 4.2 speed averaged slightly above 13 ypc his junior year at Ohio State. Speed doesn't equal deep threat.

ATLDirtyBirds
10-06-2008, 08:02 PM
It sure does. Crabtree averages over 14.5 ypc, which for a 6'3", 200 pounder is really good. Hell, it's pretty good for almost anyone. By comparison, Ted Ginn and his 4.2 speed averaged slightly above 13 ypc his junior year at Ohio State. Speed doesn't equal deep threat.

The big thing that I love about Crabtree is that he is a YAC monster. He's like a runningback when he gets the ball.

Sniper
10-06-2008, 08:03 PM
The big thing that I love about Crabtree is that he is a YAC monster. He's like a runningback when he gets the ball.

Anquan Boldin 2.0

BamaFalcon59
10-06-2008, 08:03 PM

He is very smooth the way he runs. Kind of like Reggie Bush in how effortless it looks. He doesn't have amazing straight line speed, but the way he twists and weaves and stops and etc etc is just so smooth.

ATLDirtyBirds
10-06-2008, 08:04 PM
Anquan Boldin 2.0

Boldin is more of a run you over type while Crabtree is more of a moves guy, but yeah, I see what you are saying.

regoob2
10-06-2008, 08:04 PM
Anquan Boldin 2.0He's not that physical but still above average.

Malaka
10-06-2008, 08:09 PM
Speaking of Anquan Boldin, if Crabtree has a horrible 40 time like Boldin do any of you see him dropping out of the first? Even if he runs a 4.6 I think he gets drafted top 20, and 4.7 maybe late 1st, the 40 time does not effect my opinion but it does NFL scouts for some reason.

ATLDirtyBirds
10-06-2008, 08:11 PM
Speaking of Anquan Boldin, if Crabtree has a horrible 40 time like Boldin do any of you see him dropping out of the first? Even if he runs a 4.6 I think he gets drafted top 20, and 4.7 maybe late 1st, the 40 time does not effect my opinion but it does NFL scouts for some reason.

I don't think so. Because of the fact that his hands, footwoork, route running, etc. are so damn good. I don't think a slow 40 even drops him out of Round 1. I think he will run a 4.48-4.55 though.

Malaka
10-06-2008, 08:12 PM
I don't think so. Because of the fact that his hands, footwoork, route running, etc. are so damn good. I don't think a slow 40 even drops him out of Round 1. I think he will run a 4.48-4.55 though.

I do too believe that he runs around a 4.5 but who knows he might have a bad day, and I think you are right that he would not drop out, right now he is my #1 receiver.

TACKLE
10-06-2008, 08:27 PM
If Crabtree can run in the mid-low 4.4's he should be a Top 10 lock.

As a prospect, he reminds me of Charles Rogers. Both similar size and similar type players.

Sniper
10-06-2008, 08:33 PM
He's not that physical but still above average.

Maybe more of a Braylon (when Braylon doesn't drop passes left and right.)

regoob2
10-06-2008, 08:38 PM
If he runs a 4.7 he wont go first day imo. A 4.6 would be a 2nd rounder.

regoob2
10-06-2008, 08:39 PM
Maybe more of a Braylon (when Braylon doesn't drop passes left and right.)
I agree, I'm actually thinking Roy Williams is a better comparison. Similar size speed and great after the catch, though Crabtree is a bit quicker and more elusive while Williams is stronger.

adschofield
10-06-2008, 08:45 PM
Anquan Boldin 2.0

Dwayne Bowe 2.0

BamaFalcon59
10-06-2008, 08:45 PM
If Crabtree can run in the mid-low 4.4's he should be a Top 10 lock.

As a prospect, he reminds me of Charles Rogers. Both similar size and similar type players.

From what I've seen of Rodgers when he was in college I can definitely see that comparison.

Smokey Joe
10-06-2008, 09:03 PM
This is how I see it... if he runs in the 4.4's, he's a top 5-10 pick. If he runs in low 4.5's, he's a top 10-15 pick. And if he runs in the mid to high 4.5's, he could drop down to the twenties...

First round pick easily, as of now.

Sniper
10-06-2008, 09:06 PM
As a recruit...

http://kansasstate.scout.com/a.z?s=173&p=8&c=1&nid=1547700

2 star recruit. Weaknesses: Route running, hands and concentration, downfield threat

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD Call Scout!

Smokey Joe
10-06-2008, 09:08 PM
As a recruit...

2 star recruit. Weaknesses: Route running, hands and concentration, downfield threat

Well, in their defense, Crabtree could have improved greatly. He seems like a guy with a great work ethic who only wants to get better.

regoob2
10-06-2008, 09:11 PM
As a recruit...

I believe he was a QB in HS so those are pretty legit concerns.

Sniper
10-06-2008, 09:11 PM
I believe he was a QB in HS so those are pretty legit concerns.

Yes, you are indeed correct. Still, it's amazing looking back on it now.

regoob2
10-06-2008, 09:14 PM
Yes, you are indeed correct. Still, it's amazing looking back on it now.
He's been a WR for 2+ years just imagine how much better he can get.

BamaFalcon59
10-06-2008, 09:21 PM
Well, in their defense, Crabtree could have improved greatly. He seems like a guy with a great work ethic who only wants to get better.

I believe Rivals had him as a 4 star.

P-L
10-06-2008, 09:40 PM
I love Crabtree, but if he runs a 4.7 then he isn't going in the 1st.

draftguru151
10-06-2008, 09:45 PM
I don't think I've said this is a long time but Boldin was hurt when he ran a 4.7 and ran a 4.4 when he was healthy. I love Crabtree but if he runs a 4.7 when he is healthy there is definitely a problem.

HUGH!
10-06-2008, 09:57 PM
I don't think I've said this is a long time but Boldin was hurt when he ran a 4.7 and ran a 4.4 when he was healthy. I love Crabtree but if he runs a 4.7 when he is healthy there is definitely a problem.

well when i was playing madden 09 chris collinsworth said that speed doesn't matter in the NFL. As long as you run good routes you will always have a job in the league. I agree with that logic crabtree runs good routes.

BrabbitMcRabbit
10-07-2008, 01:03 AM
You guys are getting way too hung up on this speed thing. Larry Fitzgerald, Braylon Edwards, David Terrell, and Mike Williams were not speed burners, but they were all top ten picks because they had size and football skills. People who say Crabtree is only a top 15-20 pick are on dope. That's Michael Clayton territory. Come on folks, he's much better than that.

thebow305
10-07-2008, 01:15 AM
He'd be a welcomed addition in Miami. Too bad we have so many other needs, but he is a possibility.

thebow305
10-07-2008, 01:16 AM
You guys are getting way too hung up on this speed thing. Larry Fitzgerald, Braylon Edwards, David Terrell, and Mike Williams were not speed burners, but they were all top ten picks because they had size and football skills. People who say Crabtree is only a top 15-20 pick are on dope. That's Michael Clayton territory. Come on folks, he's much better than that.

Did you just say David Terrell?

BrabbitMcRabbit
10-07-2008, 01:45 AM

8th pick in the 2001 draft.

Sniper
10-07-2008, 09:13 AM

David Terrell got drafted high, which was his point. Terrell was an outstanding prospect who never panned out.

thebow305
10-07-2008, 09:26 AM
David Terrell got drafted high, which was his point. Terrell was an outstanding prospect who never panned out.

Exactly...

Sniper
10-07-2008, 09:34 AM
Exactly...

But McRabbit's point was that Terrell was a high pick, and nothing to do with his pro production.

ThaU4Life
10-07-2008, 02:22 PM
DHB= 1st WR taken.

foozball
10-07-2008, 03:04 PM
i like crabtree. i think he's faster than most people give him credit for. i think he's 4.5-4.55

why isnt anyone talking about maclin? i think he's the best out of the bunch. he's got solid size at 6'1 200lbs, 4.4 speed, better hands than DHB and he's tougher than DHB and willing to go over the middle. not to mention he's a better route runner than DHB. he's more than just a deep threat, which is all DHB is at this point.

keylime_5
10-07-2008, 03:10 PM
Maclin's and Crabtree's numbers are way inflated in their offenses. Heyward-Bey is in a crap offense with not much talent around him but he has better tools than Michael and Jeremy and is very phsyically impressive imo. I like him more as a prospect...of course I like Harvin more than all of them b/c he is such a great athlete and will be a great WR but he has some pretty big durability issues.

DreadedDatSkinsFan
10-07-2008, 04:56 PM
Regis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sniper
10-07-2008, 07:27 PM
Regis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not eligible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10-07-2008, 07:32 PM
Dwayne Bowe 2.0

Terrell Owens 9.0

BamaFalcon59
10-07-2008, 08:46 PM
Crabtree is also awesome in NCAA '09. First half he had 6 for 150. First three quarters he had like 8 for 210 2 TD.

Beastman.

One fault: he caught a bomb on the last play of the first half. He caught it on the one yard line. GET IN THE ENDZONE!!!

Bruce Banner
10-07-2008, 08:58 PM
One fault: he caught a bomb on the last play of the first half. He caught it on the one yard line. GET IN THE ENDZONE!!!

People are questioning his breakaway speed. :D

BamaFalcon59
10-07-2008, 09:02 PM

After what happened, I am going against the grain and questioning his ability to get yards after the catch.

I might have discovered a flaw. I should probably tell Scott.

SenorGato
10-07-2008, 09:05 PM
After what happened, I am going against the grain and questioning his ability to get yards after the catch.

I might have discovered a flaw. I should probably tell Scott.

Can this be twisted into him being "soft?"

I mean...he is in that system that juices WR numbers.

BamaFalcon59
10-07-2008, 09:07 PM
Can this be twisted into him being "soft?"

Considering how top prospectsare picked apart, it's certainly possible.

Or maybe 'not clutch', maybe he doesn't have 'that desire' to get into the endzone. It's a shame, because he was my favorite receiver.

regoob2
10-07-2008, 09:34 PM
As they should because he ain't got it.

Bruce Banner
10-07-2008, 09:37 PM
As they should because he ain't got it.

There you go!

Buc Baller12
10-07-2008, 09:39 PM
Crabtree is a good player; but down the road I could see Bey turning out to be the better prospect. 6'3 with killer speed.You have to find ways to get the ball into Bey's hands because he is so explosive after the catch see the clemson game. I'd like to see what Bey could do with a solid QB. However I'm scared he might turn into the next Troy Williamson.

SenorGato
10-07-2008, 11:10 PM
Considering how top prospectsare picked apart, it's certainly possible.

Or maybe 'not clutch', maybe he doesn't have 'that desire' to get into the endzone. It's a shame, because he was my favorite receiver.

We're getting dangerously close to concluding that Michael Crabtree doesn't have "it."

regoob2
10-07-2008, 11:12 PM
We're getting dangerously close to concluding that Michael Crabtree doesn't have "it."I don't think so. Crabtree is a beast and I think he definetly has "it". He doesn't have great top end speed though.

Bruce Banner
10-07-2008, 11:16 PM
Sarcasm.....

regoob2
10-08-2008, 01:14 AM
Sarcasm.....I didn't read the earlier posts when I wrote it.

MarioPalmer
10-08-2008, 01:45 AM
I have seen some of you guys question his speed and say that he will fall because of it, I wouild have to disagree because of Larry Fitzgerald. Fitzy made it possible for teams to overlook sub par WR speed is the talent was so off the charts. I believe Crabtree is that kind of talent. He has the body control, the sticky hands where he is able to pluck the ball out of the sky a la Randy Moss, his vertical leaping ability is second to none and his speed is adaquate to say the least. But he does his most damage in his routes and in and out of his breaks. He is a disciplined receiver that makes it a point to run his routes correctly and sharply. I really enjoy watching him play and to me watching him play is as exciting as it was to watch Calvin Johnson at Georgia Tech.

Look for Crabtree to go in the top 5. I think the only other reciever to challenge him for top billing will be Darius Heyward-Bey. He reminds me a little of Andre Johnson, and if he can test like him and his film reminds GM's and coaches of him it will be a hard decision to pass on him.

This coming April we are in for a very good reciever draft. We go from one of the worst in 2008 to one of the best in 2009. This coming draft will definitly be interesting.

niel89
10-08-2008, 01:58 AM
amazing player. i got to see him play against nevada reno this year and he is a great player.

first half you he didnt get the ball that much and you could really see him getting frustrated, arms in the air and arguing with the qb. second half they feed him more and he was happy again.

i thought he had a below average game because they could have just kept going back to him but they didnt. i thought he maybe put up ~80 yards, looked it up: 7rec 158yrds 1td.

he could have dominated all night if they would have let him, but harrell had a terrible game. he miss a ton of open guys.

crabtree=amazing

jj45
10-08-2008, 08:46 AM
DHB= Berrinan
Crabtree= Boldin or to me a Burress but less of a headache
Maclin= Galloway

regoob2
10-08-2008, 10:44 AM
DHB= Berrinan
Maclin= Galloway
Berrian cant do half the things that DHB can already do.

Paranoidmoonduck
10-08-2008, 11:54 AM
DHB= Berrinan
Maclin= Galloway

Darrius Heyward-Bey - Drew Carter
Michael Crabtree - Greg Jennings (with more size)
Jeremy Maclin - Santonio Holmes (with more speed)

PossumBoy9
10-08-2008, 11:59 AM
Maybe it's just me but I see a little Anquan Boldin in him. I know Boldin was a QB earlier so it's tough to say, but I could see Crabtree taking the same draft day fall.

I'm a Texas Tech fan. I called Crabtree a "young Boldin" after his first game with the Red Raiders.

I don't expect Crabtree's timed speed to be as poor as Boldin's showing at his Combine.

PossumBoy9
10-08-2008, 12:15 PM

Yeah, the way he catches the ball with his hands sets himself up to run.

ElectricEye
10-08-2008, 12:25 PM
Crabtree looks like a stud to me. He might not run a 4.3, but a low 4.5 isn't out of the question. He's plenty fast enough though. He has pretty legit padspeed, and this might not be thrown around with receivers that often, but he has some kind of motor. He'll outrun and outwork a corner for the ball. He makes you pay with YAC when he has a full head of steam as well. He has everything you want besides the speed anyway. Hands, run good routes, go's up and gets the ball, strength, everything. Should absolutely destroy in a west coast offense.

WCH
10-08-2008, 10:03 PM
Crabtree's numbers are obviously inflated by the system he plays in, but his TD's per catch are still higher than the average spread offense WR and he has the right frame to make it in the NFL. When you watch him on film, he looks like a guy who's destined to be an above-average NFL wideout. Maybe not a guy like Calvin Johnson or Greg Jennings (I chose the guys as examples because they're recent, and they're at different ends of the size spectrum) where they make CBs look ridiculous for trying to cover them, but definitely a well above-average WR.

It really comes down to his 40 yard dash time. The unofficial cut-off for WRs (and RBs, for the most part) is a 4.65 second 40 yard dash. I know the objections: Rice, Boldin, etc. But Boldin was injured when he ran it, and Rice was nearly 25 years ago, when everybody ran slower times. If Crabtree runs faster than 4.65, then I think he's a first round pick. If he runs slower than that, then I think that his stock takes a monumental nosedive. Personally, I think he'll run faster.

Of course, another variable is that teams are increasingly reluctant to draft WRs in the first round because it's believed that they're a high-risk pick, and that there's not a significant drop-off between the performance of first round picks and second round picks. Crabtree could realistically drop just because all of the WRs drop.

H.O.O.D
10-10-2008, 10:25 AM

Jerry Rice & Q also had slow 40's...Rice was a 4.5 and Q a 4.7.

10-10-2008, 11:27 AM
Yeah, but as DG mentioned, Boldin was injured when he ran that, and you can tell by watching Jerry Rice he was FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAST

10-10-2008, 11:30 AM
Darrius Heyward-Bey - Drew Carter
Michael Crabtree - Greg Jennings (with more size)
Jeremy Maclin - Santonio Holmes (with more speed)

I can see the comparisons though you may just be a tad too low on DHB. Crabtree isn't as clear as I'm not so sure he can stretch the field as well as Jennings. Maclin-Holmes is right on, I really hope the Raiders draft him !

Paranoidmoonduck
10-10-2008, 11:47 AM
I can see the comparisons though you may just be a tad too low on DHB. Crabtree isn't as clear as I'm not so sure he can stretch the field as well as Jennings. Maclin-Holmes is right on, I really hope the Raiders draft him !

DHB may pull his skills together once he hits the NFL, but right now he's a tall and very fast wideout who runs poor intermediate and short routes and isn't very physical. Sounds like Drew Carter to me.

And the Jennings thing mostly sprung up because they look similar with the ball in their hands after the catch. I do think Crabtree would be a decent deep threat, because so much of that is based heavily on body control and general wideout skills, where Crabtree grades highly.