PDA

View Full Version : Can Aaron Curry play MLB?

Bronco in UT
10-05-2008, 08:53 PM
Simple question...
for those of you who have been able to watch Aaron Curry enough throughout his career, can he be a potential MLB convert much like Ryans on the Texans? I love him as a prospect, but we need a MLB more than an OLB (Broncos)

PACKmanN
10-05-2008, 09:01 PM
His point of attack will be questioned, not the safest move, imo.

BuckDawg23
10-05-2008, 09:02 PM
According to PFW Curry is physical as hell and a great playmaker and they have him fitting as an ILB in a 3-4 at the next level. I think Curry could play any LB position in a 34 in the pros. He is rangy with long arms which could make him a pretty good pass rusher as a 34 OLB as well. He's strong, physical at the point of attack and can get off blocks which would make him a good 34 ILB. I see him soaring up draft boards when it's all said and done and possibly being a top 15 or 20 pick. I sure wouldnt mind my Browns picking him up in the 1st we could definitely use a playmaker of his caliber added to our weak LB corps.

Bronco in UT
10-05-2008, 09:10 PM
I'm just trying to figure the best potential MLB for a 4-3 defense that the Broncos run. I absolutely HATE Nate Webster and think we could use a major upgrade at that position. I like a few other guys as well, but have heard some nice things about Curry. He also has great measurables as well.

regoob2
10-06-2008, 01:11 PM
I think he would be a real good fit at MLB in any system.

Matthew Jones
10-07-2008, 08:17 AM
I see him as an outside linebacker but I suppose he could play inside. I'd rather have Laurinaitis or Maualuga if I'm about to go with a MLB, though.

Iamcanadian
10-07-2008, 10:32 AM
Simple question...
for those of you who have been able to watch Aaron Curry enough throughout his career, can he be a potential MLB convert much like Ryans on the Texans? I love him as a prospect, but we need a MLB more than an OLB (Broncos)

I think OLB is his best fit in a 4-3 defense although a Cover 2 team might move him inside. Of course, desperate teams shift guys all over the place if they chose but he would be far more effective on the outside IMO. I question if he could play on the outside in a 3-4, he would be better suited on the inside in that defense although it would be a bit of a waste. An OLB in a 3-4 has to be able to play DE in that defense on many occassions and I think Curry is simply too small to do it effectively.

BackwoodsBoy
10-14-2008, 09:34 AM
Nice post and great outside the box thinking BuckDawg. I was thinking about that very possibility myself. I would love to see Aaron Curry at ILB for the Browns, however, I think we need an outside pass rusher much more. Unless we somehow get 2 first rounders this year then I don't really want Curry this year because we need that other OLB badly.

AntoinCD
10-14-2008, 10:28 AM
I'm just trying to figure the best potential MLB for a 4-3 defense that the Broncos run. I absolutely HATE Nate Webster and think we could use a major upgrade at that position. I like a few other guys as well, but have heard some nice things about Curry. He also has great measurables as well.

I think Laurinaitis would suit the Broncos best at MLB. As long as the big boys up front can keep him unblocked him and DJ will make a hell of a lot of plays

STARHEATHER
10-14-2008, 12:08 PM
i think so. hes a big nmoderately fast, decent tackler. not a superlative athlete or playmaker but solid.not bad athlete by any means. could be a solid value in rd 2-3

STARHEATHER
10-14-2008, 12:09 PM
far better than laurinitis. not close

ElectricEye
10-14-2008, 12:25 PM
Why would you want him to? It's much easier to find a thumper to play MLB than it is to find a rangy guy like him to man the outside. I mean, he probably could, but you could get a lot more of a value if you're looking for an inside guy with someone like Jasper Brinkley in the late second, IMO.

STARHEATHER
10-14-2008, 12:38 PM
i would say its harder to find a good mlb or 3-4 ilb han 4-3 olb

BackwoodsBoy
10-14-2008, 07:54 PM
i would say its harder to find a good mlb or 3-4 ilb han 4-3 olb

Exactly. A 34 ILB has to do everything a MLB and OLB are able to do in a 43 defense. Therefore, if Curry has that ability then you take him and it would hardly be a waste.

Bengals1690
10-14-2008, 08:50 PM
far better than laurinitis. not close

lmao....you're priceless.

STARHEATHER
10-14-2008, 10:57 PM
thats why im the best. i already know hes going to flame out. when you hear the words misses tackles and not physical in concert with a lb run hide avoid like the plague. aaron curry made more plays in one game vs clemson than ive seen laurinitis make in his career. you always know when all else fails just run the ball right at laurinitis for big gainers to get the offense going. theres no difference between him and dan connor. connor is better. aaron curry rd 2-3. james laurinitis rd 5 or later or no thanks waste of $ and pick

weezer1195
10-15-2008, 01:45 AM
Curry is by no means too small to play olb in a 3-4 at least in my opinion. I go to wake forest and work in the weight room. Curry could deff put on some weight if he had to and has been played as a rush LB/DE some last year but hasnt so far this year. I think his biggest weakness is his agility but for a 250 pound beast he is not too shabby. His straight ahead speed for a LB is very impressive and he is the kind of physical presence out there that defenses rally around.

BackwoodsBoy
10-15-2008, 01:51 AM
Curry is by no means too small to play olb in a 3-4 at least in my opinion. I go to wake forest and work in the weight room. Curry could deff put on some weight if he had to and has been played as a rush LB/DE some last year but hasnt so far this year. I think his biggest weakness is his agility but for a 250 pound beast he is not too shabby. His straight ahead speed for a LB is very impressive and he is the kind of physical presence out there that defenses rally around.

His game, however, is better suited for inside when it comes to the 34 defense. I don't think he has the flexability in his hips or fluidity to be an outside pass rusher in the NFL. I've seen him do good things on the pass rush, but it was usually against backs and up the middle on stunts not off the edge. I don't know that he can use his hands well enough on the outside to disengage from offensive tackles either. Doesn't mean hes not a good player it just means he's better suited elsewhere in a 34 defense. I actually believe he is the most underrated player in the draft and if he's not he is certainly at the top.

MarshawnLynch#??
10-19-2008, 01:35 PM
I've watched every wake game for the last couple years. To me, Curry is a classic 4-3 OLB; but he also could play inside in the 3-4.