PDA

View Full Version : Underclassman WR's: Take Your Pick

adschofield
10-05-2008, 11:15 PM
Who's it going to be? Maclin, Heyward-Bey, or Crabtree? And I meant eligible underclassman, so I didn't include Benn.

In my mind, it's Darrius Heyward-Bey...Sure he's a bit more risky, but I feel as though he's got it all: Great hands, great speed, and great size and strength.

thule
10-05-2008, 11:18 PM
I think it depends on what your team needs...all three different guys.

If your looking for a future #1 I think Crabtree is a lock.
If your looking for a complimentary WR I think you go Maclin

(both guys should be able to contribute from day one)
If you don't have a huge need and just want a future guy I think DHB is the obvious pick...since he is probably the least NFL ready mentally imo.

But now to the question who do I think is the best.

In my eyes it's Maclin...he has the elite speed to cause concerns for NFL defenses from day 1...and the special teams aspect to trump....I give him the nod only because he can contribute in multiple aspects of the game unlike a guy like Crabtree who can be a good WR in this league...but will never be an elite special teamer.

STARHEATHER
10-05-2008, 11:27 PM
maclin or bey. crabtree is a posession receiver at the nfl level. the others have value added skills. crabtree may be worth a rd 2 gamble.

Buckrock101
10-06-2008, 02:15 AM
1. Crabtree
2. Maclin
3. Harvin

giantsfan
10-06-2008, 02:17 AM
I'd rather have Crabtree, even if he doesn't SEC speed he's got great hands and is great after the catch.

giantsfan
10-06-2008, 02:28 AM
maclin or bey. crabtree is a posession receiver at the nfl level. the others have value added skills. crabtree may be worth a rd 2 gamble.

Again Straight line speed is far from the most important thing at the skill positions. Crabtree runs his routes very sharply and is a beast after the catch, as well as having great hands. He's a legit number 1 guy who might not stretch the field but won't let you down as a go to option.

Go_Eagles77
10-06-2008, 06:01 AM
I like Maclin the best, but if you ask who I'd want the eagles to draft it's probably Crabtree because he would be the best fit right now.

Saints-Tigers
10-06-2008, 06:05 AM
I like Crabtree the best, he's got all the tools, and he's definitely fast enough to be a number 1 guy.

eaglesalltheway
10-06-2008, 06:47 AM
Right now I have to go with Maclin, but neither of these guys are too bad at all. Crabtree would be the best for the Eagles, but DHB could fit as well, though not as well IMO.

eaglesalltheway
10-06-2008, 06:52 AM
crabtree is a posession receiver at the nfl level. the others have value added skills.

Care to elaborate? Would you like to use proper punctuation and grammar? I'm not trying to be a dick, but it is hard to take someone serioulsy who never capitalizes anything and has extreme run-on sentences. As for your evaluation. There have been similar reports to that before, take Anquan Boldin for example, Crabtree is similar to Boldin and you have got to know that if scouts expected anywhere near the production Boldin has put forth, he would have been a top 5 lock. Of course there is the hindsite rebuttal, but for you to say that you would "risk" a second round pick on him makes absolutely no sense to me.

Staubach12
10-06-2008, 07:40 AM
Crabtree. Good size, good speed. Runs good routes. Explosive after the catch.

georgiafan
10-06-2008, 07:50 AM
I picked Crabtree with Maclin a very close 2nd

abaddon41_80
10-06-2008, 07:57 AM
I'll take Maclin. Great speed, good size, deceptive power, excellent in the open field.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-06-2008, 10:07 AM
Just to make it clear Reggie Ball is Peyton Manning compared to any QB DHB has ever had. Also you must consider with Lance Ball and Keon Lattimore and now Da'rel Scott the Terps are predominantly a running team. The fact of the matter is that when Heyward-Bey touches the ball he is more likely to go 80 yards to the house than not. He is clearly the best deep threat in this draft. There have been at least 20 times in his career when he has burnt coverage but the QB has lofted a ball up there to allow the defense to catch him. He has good hands and is a decent route runner. I agree it wouldn't be fair to compare him to Crabtree because of Crabtree's production, but Heyward-Bey honestly only gets 3-4 balls thrown to him a game. And DHB does have legit 4.3-4.4 speed, if anyone saw him run track in high school. He ran a 4.23 his freshman season at the Maryland combine and while you can argue the validity of college pro days, he did run a 4.38 as a senior at the Nike high school combine which is legit. You can knock on many things about Maryland's program but one you can't is their training program. I can only imagine he is faster as stronger than back then. As for the other guys I love Crabtree and Maclin. Maclin I think is highly underrated and is much stronger and has better hands than people give him credit for. Crabtree though out of all of them is the most well rounded and obviously productive.

Sniper
10-06-2008, 10:08 AM
Crabtree, by a lot.

SuperKevin
10-06-2008, 12:05 PM
Have you seen the QB play at Maryland? The fact that Heyward-Bey is putting up stats of any kind proves he is the best WR in the draft. Give him Chase Daniel or Graham Harrell and he's a 2000 yard and 30 TD WR

adschofield
10-10-2008, 07:49 PM

You say that as though a possession receiver is a bad thing...Plenty of great receivers are possession receivers...

Sniper
10-10-2008, 07:53 PM
You see that as though a possession receiver is a bad thing...Plenty of great receivers are possession receivers...

Terrell Owens is considered a "possession receiver". Seems like it's working out for him. Yet his career YPC of 14.9 is significantly higher than "deep threat" Troy Williamson's of 13.3

jnew76
10-10-2008, 08:00 PM
Terrell Owens is considered a "possession receiver". Seems like it's working out for him. Yet his career YPC of 14.9 is significantly higher than "deep threat" Troy Williamson's of 13.3

I don't know of anyone who has ever called TO a posession receiver.

Babylon
10-10-2008, 08:00 PM
I picked Crabtree with Maclin a very close 2nd

That's how i see it.

Sniper
10-10-2008, 08:02 PM
I don't know of anyone who has ever called TO a posession receiver.

Are you kidding me??????

BamaFalcon59
10-10-2008, 08:06 PM
Crabtree by a good bit, but Heyward Bey and Maclin are good as well.

Crabtree will dominate, Heyward Bey has a good shot to be a number one eventually, and Maclin will be a good number two receiver. All top 20 picks if all things go as expected.

Cigaro
10-10-2008, 08:07 PM
I'd rather have Crabtree, even if he doesn't SEC speed he's got great hands and is great after the catch.

There is no such thing as SEC speed for receivers.

As for me, Maclin's explosiveness makes him mi numero uno.

BamaFalcon59
10-10-2008, 08:08 PM
Are you kidding me??????

He is called a possetion receiver by a lot of people, but he has plenty of speed. No one is going to catch Terrell Owens when he is on his way to the endzone.

Same deal with Crabtree, although Owens has much more breakaway speed.

Sniper
10-10-2008, 08:16 PM
He is called a possetion receiver by a lot of people, but he has plenty of speed. No one is going to catch Terrell Owens when he is on his way to the endzone.

I didn't say he wasn't fast. I just said people call him a "possession receiver"

Paranoidmoonduck
10-10-2008, 08:26 PM
Have you seen the QB play at Maryland? The fact that Heyward-Bey is putting up stats of any kind proves he is the best WR in the draft. Give him Chase Daniel or Graham Harrell and he's a 2000 yard and 30 TD WR

Heyward-Bey doesn't even get thrown the ball anymore than the other receivers on the team. I've seen the quarterback play at Maryland and it's not bad enough to justify why DHB is such a small part of the offense.

jnew76
10-10-2008, 08:56 PM
I didn't say he wasn't fast. I just said people call him a "possession receiver"

I stand by the statement that, until today, I have never heard of TO being called a "Posession Receiver"

murdamal86
10-15-2008, 01:32 PM
I'd like to make case for Harvin but what's holding him back is the fact that he's not as durable as some would like. When it comes to his size, his measurables are "average" but his body is built so that to me would not be an issue. As long as Desean Jackson (another "average" sized WR) continues to perform well, Harvin's stock will continue to climb.

DoWnThEfiElD
10-15-2008, 01:50 PM
I like Harvin more as a Reggie Bush type player than traditional WR. Bush is second in the league in receptions, I think Harvin would flourish in a role like that.

SuperKevin
10-15-2008, 03:41 PM
Heyward-Bey doesn't even get thrown the ball anymore than the other receivers on the team. I've seen the quarterback play at Maryland and it's not bad enough to justify why DHB is such a small part of the offense.

Heyward-Bey's strength is his straightline speed and deep threat ability and no QB on the Maryland roster has a strong enough arm to really utilize it. He has Randy Moss size and speed and he's going to be a stud in the NFL, provided he has a QB that can throw deep.

ThePudge
10-15-2008, 04:37 PM
Going by recent trends, I'll go with Missouri's Jeremy Maclin.

The system may scare some, but the versatility of Maclin as a vertical threat, a return man, and well, just as a flat out home run hitter, gets him the nod from me. The past two years have seen Ted Ginn Jr. drafted 9th Overall, four smaller, more dynamic receivers, were drafted in the second round last year (Donnie Avery, Eddie Royal, DeSean Jackson, and Dexter Jackson). Out of those four, a few have big success to show.

These bigger guys, say Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly, Jerome Simpson, etc. They have size, but they require more polish than a player that can hit you with speed. The recent trend in the NFL says smaller receivers can be just as effective and can contribute earlier and in more positions (KR/PR/Slot, etc.)

Now, with that all being said, I'll vouch for Jeremey Maclin not only as an athlete, but as an all-around football player. Maclin, so far this year, has run for a Touchdown (4.9 avg per carry), has caught 39 balls for 600 yds (15.4 avg) 5 Td's, is averaging 9.1 yds per punt return, 26.1 per kick return including a 99 yard Td. This with only half the season under his belt.

Last season Maclin caught 59 balls for 885 yds (9 Td's), he rushed for 297 yds (4 Td's), had a PR average of 12.2 (2 Td's) and had a KR average of 24.5 (1 Td). This guy can touch the ball in a variety of ways and is truly a weapon that any team could utilize.

I don't like Missouri football, I did not like Maclin coming into the season. Yet, I have been convinced. Maclin is a better prospect than Ted Ginn Jr., or DeSean Jackson, or Eddie Royal. He's a special talent and he's done his work against some of the best competition in the country.

I love Michael Crabtree, I think he'll be a great NFL player, I regard him as a low Top 10 pick, and would consider him between picks 8-14 or so. However, with his versatility, his explosiveness, and his production, I don't think it'd be much of a stretch to say Jeremy Maclin could hear his name called as early as the 4th-11th Overall or so.

Maclin would be a nice fit for a team like the Oakland Raiders, Seattle Seahawks, or even, dare I say, the Detroit Lions in the Top 10. Crabtree would be a great fit for a team starving for a big, physical target in the passing game such as the Eagles, Seattle (still has that need at WR), San Francisco, or Baltimore. These teams will likely be scattered between the 8th-18th picks or so.

I love both receivers, I just think Maclin's a bit more set up for instant playing time and success because of his speed and versatility. The big thing here though, draft wise, is the teams at the top (Detroit, Oakland, etc.)

I'm a Bengals fan and at this point, I may consider Jeremy Maclin if I get stuck with a late Top 5 pick and a guy like Chris "Beanie" Wells isn't there for me. T.J. is an Unrestricted Free Agent at the end of the season and we've been craving a WR/KR/PR combo for years. Glenn Holt could finally be relieved of his duties as KR. A lot of ways you can use a guy like Maclin...

Vox Populi
10-15-2008, 05:01 PM
I am firmly on the DHB bandwagon. People say he isn't pro ready and a polished receiver, but neither are Maclin or Crabtree. All of them are going to have a learning curve in the league and the offenses that Maclin and Crabtree are in let them get one on one match ups most of the time where DHB is in less of a spread and gets more double teams than the other two. I think DHB will end up a very Torry Holt-esque receiver in the NFL but with more speed.

scottyboy
10-15-2008, 05:06 PM
Kenny Britt says "hi"

keylime_5
10-15-2008, 05:21 PM
no harvin? I think he has a good shot to be either the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd WR taken.

Bruce Banner
10-15-2008, 05:22 PM
I think DHB has the most potential. That's just me though.

thenewfeature06
10-15-2008, 06:53 PM
DHB is strictly a deep threat... he is dec. after the catch.. id have to go with Crabtree.. very good route runner

SeanTaylorRIP
10-15-2008, 06:58 PM
If I am a playoff contending team looking for a #2 wideout right off the bat I take Crabtree in a heartbeat, if I am a team in rebuilding willing to have the guy not even get much pt his first two years or so but taking the chance he develops into an All-pro, I take Heyward Bey.

SuperKevin
10-15-2008, 06:59 PM
If I am a playoff contending team looking for a #2 wideout right off the bat I take Crabtree in a heartbeat, if I am a team in rebuilding willing to have the guy not even get much pt his first two years or so but taking the chance he develops into an All-pro, I take Heyward Bey.

Probably the best way to put it I've heard so far

Bruce Banner
10-15-2008, 07:00 PM

++, so we agree DHB has the most potential?

The dude is a stud.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-15-2008, 07:03 PM
If a team goes BPA in the first round I could see DHB even landing on teams like the Eagles, Seahawks, or Colts. I don't know why but with two first rounders I can just picture Philly taking DHB with one of them to groom him as a future starter opposite of Djax. I could only imagine DHB running a deep route for McNabb.

Giantsfan1080
10-15-2008, 07:11 PM
Kenny Britt says "hi"

A lot of Rutgers fans are really hating on him unfortunately. I personally don't get it as he's their only threat on offense and has a terrible QB throwing to him. Sure he doesn't catch every ball but no need to consider him one of the problems.

SuperKevin
10-15-2008, 07:13 PM
Even though the Bills invested a 2nd round pick on James Hardy last year, I wouldn't be opposed to drafting Kenny Britt in round 2 if he were available. The Bills still need size and playmaking ability at WR.

scottyboy
10-15-2008, 07:15 PM
A lot of Rutgers fans are really hating on him unfortunately. I personally don't get it as he's their only threat on offense and has a terrible QB throwing to him. Sure he doesn't catch every ball but no need to consider him one of the problems.

exactly, he's really the only thing on O we've got right now. And he's got Mike Teel throwing to him, that's a MAJOR handicap right there. He does have the dropsies every now and then, but he's trying to catch wobbly ducks and passes 9 feet over his head, not his fault.

And SK, he'd be nasty up in Buffalo, with Lee and Marshawn? hot dayum.

thenewfeature06
10-15-2008, 07:16 PM
im not that big on britt he has great size but hasnt produced this year... and as for teel his stock has gone down... but last year he was 2nd in the big east in passing yards... wats wrong this year?

SuperKevin
10-15-2008, 07:17 PM
im not that big on britt he has great size but hasnt produced this year... and as for teel his stock has gone down... but last year he was 2nd in the big east in passing yards... wats wrong this year?

Teel regressed to the point that If Jabu Lovelace wasn't his backup, he'd be holding a clipboard.

Giantsfan1080
10-15-2008, 07:19 PM

Teel was always mediocre but a very good running game and O-line helped mask his problems. As for Britt he's def. producing. He as 37 catches for 464 yards and he missed the 1-AA game.

scottyboy
10-15-2008, 07:21 PM

i don't know honestly, he just blows. Last year I gave him a lot of props for his broken thumb and gave him a major pass. this year, I cry and cut myself. He's been SO bad.

and being 2nd in the Big East in passing yards isn't saying much. Basically every poster here a fan of a team in the Big East will tell you all the Big East QB's suck

thenewfeature06
10-15-2008, 07:24 PM
britt does not have a single TD on the year

thenewfeature06
10-15-2008, 07:24 PM
Grothe isnt bad...

SuperKevin
10-15-2008, 07:26 PM

Stats really don't mean nearly as much as measurables and potential. Britt has great size and sufficient speed to be a solid WR in the NFL. If stats were all that mattered then Davonne Bess, Ryan Grice-Mullens, and Jarrett Hicks would all have been top 10 picks

SuperKevin
10-15-2008, 07:27 PM
Grothe isnt bad...

As a QB yeah he is. He's a decent playmaker but he honestly does not have what it takes to succeed at QB at the next level. I don't think there is a single QB in the entire Big East that I would take right now.

Giantsfan1080
10-15-2008, 07:28 PM

Our offense sucks in the Red Zone and Teel is a huge part of that. Believe me when I tell you Britt is the only one doing his job at the skill positions for the Rutgers offense.

scottyboy
10-15-2008, 07:32 PM
Grothe isnt bad...

his quarterbacking is almost as bad as his feaux-hawk

and TD's this year mean nothing. He was dominant last year and could put up 1,000 again if Teel magically gets touched by Jesus ala Kitna. He's been a beast, and Teel hasn't. Kid's got great size and toughness, and very good speed considering his size

etk
10-15-2008, 08:02 PM
I take Percy Harvin.

SuperKevin
10-29-2008, 03:05 PM
i didn't want to make a new thread for one player so this is the best place to post this.

Anyone else think Georgia tech RS Sophomore WR Demaryius Thomas could declare? He's putting up all ACC numbers despite playing in the worst passing offense in the league. As an incoming recruit he was heralded as the next Calvin Johnson by Georgia tech coaches. While he doesn't have the freakish athleticism that Johnson has, he has great size at 6'3" 230 lbs with more than enough speed. His experience in the triple option this year has also made him one of the nation's best run blocking WRs. I see Thomas as a wild card come January when underclassmen have to declare because he's never really going to improve as a WR as long as Paul Johnson is there. I think he could be a 2nd round guy and be a instant contributor in the NFL.

For those of you who like pretty stats, on 10/4 against Duke he had 9 catches for 230 yards and a TD.....and nobody else on the entire team caught a pass. He accounted for his entire team's passing offense. pretty amazing feat considering the amount of double teams he sees.

P-L
10-29-2008, 03:15 PM
I didn't respond to this thread before, but I'll take Michael Crabtree. I think he is not only NFL ready, but he's a true #1 wide receiver. I really like Jeremy Maclin, but I don't see him as a #1 in the NFL. However, I do think Kenny Britt could be the best of the bunch when it is all said and done. For the purpose of this poll though, I'm going to say Crabtree.

Flyboy
10-29-2008, 03:19 PM
Not even a question to me. Michael Beasttree.

Addict
10-29-2008, 03:21 PM
Hmmm, I want ALL OF THEM... for my new team, the Portland Pass-catchers!hey, this is filling to get 10 char!

Preo32
10-29-2008, 03:50 PM
It has to be Crabtree. Thomas outta G.Tech is playing good since he gets more than 50% of the passes thrown his way. For a soph, Dez Bryant @ OK State is playin crazy good. Mizzou shut him down pretty well, but then the other WR on the team killed them. Kenny Britt @ Rutgers is good. Same with Ed Britton at Texas Tech. And cannoty forget about J-Mac, Jeremy Maclin

Young Legend
10-29-2008, 03:50 PM
Crabtree But imagine Russell big arm and DHB running deep routs.

SuperKevin
10-29-2008, 03:51 PM
Crabtree But imagine Russell big arm and DHB running deep routs.

It'd be everything they had hoped for when they had Moss. DHB in my eyes has Randy Moss talent without the issues

etk
11-08-2008, 10:42 AM
It'd be everything they had hoped for when they had Moss. DHB in my eyes has Randy Moss talent without the issues

DHB is a taller Troy Williamson, imo. That is all....

illmatic74
11-08-2008, 02:35 PM
These are the only 3 recievers I would draft in the first round. They all explosive athletes but I would go Crabtree, than Maclin than Heyward-Bey because of route runniing.

Race for the Heisman
11-08-2008, 02:55 PM
I love Crabtree to the point its probably unhealthy.

1. Crabtree (top 5)
2. Maclin (top 15)
3. Robiskie (first-second)
4. Heyward-Bey (first-second)
5. Harvin (first-second)

PossumBoy9
11-08-2008, 06:51 PM
I think DHB has the most potential. That's just me though.

While I'll take Crabtree....

....I agree with what you say.

DHB has sick physical skills.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-08-2008, 06:53 PM

1. Crabtree (top 5)
2. Maclin (top 15)
3. Robiskie (first-second)
4. Heyward-Bey (first-second)
5. Harvin (first-second)

Robiskie lol?

Race for the Heisman
11-08-2008, 10:55 PM
Robiskie lol?

http://typo.graphr.net/images/owl-yarly.jpg

scottyboy
11-08-2008, 10:57 PM
gimme that Kenny Britt. all day, everyday.

BamaFalcon59
11-08-2008, 11:01 PM
DHB is a taller Troy Williamson, imo. That is all....

I actually agree with this.

He doesn't do much well. He can run deep, and run with the ball in his hands. That is about it.

Jonny
11-08-2008, 11:47 PM
Britt actually is amazing, I wish scotty didn't fawn over every RU player because it's deserved in this case.

thebow305
11-09-2008, 01:35 AM
I'm not a HUGE fan of any receivers this year except Crabtree and Byrd. Maclin and Bey have some question marks IMO. Crabtree is the only legit #1, first round WR.

Flyboy
11-09-2008, 01:42 AM

Me too... me too.

Iamcanadian
11-09-2008, 02:07 AM
I think the current rankings are

Crabtree
Maclin
Harvin
Heywood-Bey

However, the post season will decide the final rankings and they could finish in any order. I wouldn't ignore Britt of Rutgers or LaFell of LSU either. Crabtree's 40 time is still suspect but he has everthing else but if he runs a slow 40 at the combine, he'll drop. They are all legit 1st rounders.

scottyboy
11-09-2008, 09:36 AM
Britt actually is amazing, I wish scotty didn't fawn over every RU player because it's deserved in this case.

mhm, this time it's very well deserved. Sometimes I think and wonder, imgaine if Teel was even close to compatent in the first few weeks? wow.

Britt is my boy, especially since Courtney Greene has been playing poorly of late. I'm thinking we could see Britt break the 1st round this year if he enters.