PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Line Situation

BigDawg819
03-02-2007, 10:24 AM
While reviewing the various sports sites for the latest buzz on free agents I came across Len Pasquarelli's Sleeper Free Agent list:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2784447

Anyway I came across the name of Marc Columbo the Tackle recently of the Cowboys. He's 6'8" 320 lbs and only 28 years old. He may be worth a look at during free agency in case Pashos is serious about the interest he's generating. Another interesting name on there was Al Johnson also from the Cowboys who was a former 2nd round pick and was the center of the future for them until Gurode got a chance and took over the position. I'm not sure if we are considering releasing Flynn over the summer or not but if we could get Johnson on the cheap we could leave both Jason Brown and Chris Chester at the Guard position as they should good comfortability there when both in the lineup.

Bohleive
03-02-2007, 10:37 AM
Columbo could be a viable option if he comes cheap. We all know that Ozzie likes those cheap stopgap guys at RT. Just get by baby, that's Ozzies OL philosophy. That's all if all this stuff about Pashos is true, though it seems to be unfortunately.

BigDawg819
03-02-2007, 10:39 AM
Hey man at this point as long as they can pass/run block there good enough for me. Open a hole for the back and keep the QB clean and whoever it is will get no grief from me....

Bohleive
03-02-2007, 10:57 AM
Oh I'm not disagreeing. A rookie likely won't be much better, regardless of who it is.

BigDawg819
03-02-2007, 11:04 AM
Well Tony's gone, bring on Columbo!

EdReedUnstoppable
03-02-2007, 01:26 PM
Tony's gone bring on Joe Staley!!!

Bohleive
03-02-2007, 01:33 PM
Tony's gone bring on Joe Staley!!!

There are better talents to be had in the 1st. I don't like us taking a guy just because Pashos is gone, I think we should look at FA's and Terry and go in that direction. Starting a rookie on a team looking to win the SB next year would definitely hurt us. I think we should look at who is cheap, a solid run blocker and not total crap, and then draft somebody in rds 3-5 for the future.

ChefMike
03-02-2007, 10:08 PM
Staleys a great option started his career as a TE he is a very agile guy... and can still pack on another 15-25 lbs on his frame... and hangin with Terry and JO he won't have a problem doing that !! I think we need to ad another guard in the mold and Flynn leaving is not an option yet I don't think...Jason Brown is the backup and I think Chester needs a little more seasoning... I think we need ad another OG to the fold...Manuel Ramirez he is a BEAST !

Bohleive
03-04-2007, 07:08 PM
I decided to give this thread a bump because now that Pashos is gone I'm getting more used to the idea of Columbo as a stop-gap. For one thing, he's definitely going to be better than any rookie we take at 29, perhaps a crucial point when you have a vet team trying to contend, and for another he might come pretty cheap. I also don't like the idea of spending our first round pick on a reach (I consider Staley just that at 29) just because we lost somebody.

ChefMike
03-04-2007, 07:45 PM
I decided to give this thread a bump because now that Pashos is gone I'm getting more used to the idea of Columbo as a stop-gap. For one thing, he's definitely going to be better than any rookie we take at 29, perhaps a crucial point when you have a vet team trying to contend, and for another he might come pretty cheap. I also don't like the idea of spending our first round pick on a reach (I consider Staley just that at 29) just because we lost somebody.

I have to agree I think that reaching is not a good strategy for us in the draft we have never followed that and shouldnt start now. I would rather see us go after someone like Jarvis Moss or a Brandon Merriweather or a Jon Beason. I think 2nd round will be the best place to start building up backups for the OL.

Troj2man
03-05-2007, 01:28 AM
Don't be surprised if Adam Terry is your starting RT week 1. I know there's talk about him being strictly a LT, but Eric Decosta did an interview this past week, and said Terry could very well be the starter at RT.

TNewFan41
03-05-2007, 07:18 AM
The longer it takes Colombo to sign, the more it looks like he is staying with the Cowboys. We still has his offer on the table, and he is trying to find something better, but it looks like it isn't happening.

ccB
03-05-2007, 08:45 AM
LT: Jonathon Ogden
LG: Jason Brown (Mulitalo if he returns)
C: Chris Chester
RG: Keydrick Vincent
RT: Adam Terry

That line doesnt seem THAT bad. Theres alot of potential there. Our front office knew what they were doing when they drafted these guys. I think we will be fine even if we dont address line in this draft. If JO walks we must address the line this year or sign a cheap veteran.

EdReedUnstoppable
03-05-2007, 09:25 AM
LT: Jonathon Ogden
LG: Jason Brown (Mulitalo if he returns)
C: Chris Chester
RG: Keydrick Vincent
RT: Adam Terry

That line doesnt seem THAT bad. Theres alot of potential there. Our front office knew what they were doing when they drafted these guys. I think we will be fine even if we dont address line in this draft. If JO walks we must address the line this year or sign a cheap veteran.

Mulitalo is being asked to take a pay cut and a backup role to Jason Brown so Im thinkin Mulitalo will either be back and on the bench or cut.

Something else, I just saw a mock that had us taking Ryan Kalil in rd 1. And at first I was kinda not to into it, but when you think about the fact that Chester played very well at OG last year, and the thought that Kalil could be a special C it doesnt seem like such a bad idea....

LT: Ogden (preferably Terry at LT, JO at RT, but for the sake of argument)
LG: Brown
C: Kalil
RG: Chester
RT: Terry

That seems a pretty solid line right there.

Ravens1991
03-05-2007, 09:37 AM
That would be a lot of youth and potential on our offensive line.

EdReedUnstoppable
03-05-2007, 09:43 AM
That would be a lot of youth and potential on our offensive line.

Well that would give some extreme hope for the future IMO which is a very good thing.

BigDawg819
03-05-2007, 09:43 AM
Mulitalo is being asked to take a pay cut and a backup role to Jason Brown so Im thinkin Mulitalo will either be back and on the bench or cut.

Something else, I just saw a mock that had us taking Ryan Kalil in rd 1. And at first I was kinda not to into it, but when you think about the fact that Chester played very well at OG last year, and the thought that Kalil could be a special C it doesnt seem like such a bad idea....

LT: Ogden (preferably Terry at LT, JO at RT, but for the sake of argument)
LG: Brown
C: Kalil
RG: Chester
RT: Terry

That seems a pretty solid line right there.

Well its about time somebody agrees with my secondary point from the initial post. And like I knew it would be a fellow Boller supporter! :D I am definitely in favor of leaving Brown and Chester in the Guards positions and that way dealing with Big Ed and the contracts of Flynn and Vincent. When I finally get that front office position with the Ravens I'm bringing ERU with me as a condition of employment... :D :D :D

EdReedUnstoppable
03-05-2007, 09:54 AM
Well its about time somebody agrees with my secondary point from the initial post. And like I knew it would be a fellow Boller supporter! :D I am definitely in favor of leaving Brown and Chester in the Guards positions and that way dealing with Big Ed and the contracts of Flynn and Vincent. When I finally get that front office position with the Ravens I'm bringing ERU with me as a condition of employment... :D :D :D

Im down for that business! We'll make this franchise a dynasty for many years!!!

Bohleive
03-05-2007, 01:04 PM
Don't be surprised if Adam Terry is your starting RT week 1. I know there's talk about him being strictly a LT, but Eric Decosta did an interview this past week, and said Terry could very well be the starter at RT.
I would love for this to happen. If Terry can finally man the right side it would be a much better option than Columbo in my eyes.

ChefMike
03-05-2007, 03:45 PM
Hey Columbo is a former 1st rd talent and didnt do too bad in Big D last year...I mean with a meat head name like Columbo how could you not want to have a blue collar guy like him grinding it out for us up front...he isnt a bad solution but we need to clear some cap room..so we have some wiggle room if another good situation fell in our lap.