PDA

View Full Version : Week 5 Sunday in review

illmatic74
10-06-2008, 12:45 PM
Week 5 is usually when the great teams seperate from the rest of the pack. This season is not one of those seasons. Giants maybe be the only great team in the NFL(I hate saying that). So let's review
Chicago 34 Detroit 7
- Even though he has been fired his stench was all over this loss
- Kyle Orton has a higher passer rating than Peyton Manning would you believe that when the season started.
Atlanta 27 Green Bay 24
- Can everyone just admit now that Matt Ryan is good
- Packers record with Rodgers 2-3. Packers record if they had Favre 2-3
San Diego 10 Miami 17
-And I was just going to start the Phillip Rivers elite QB argument.
- Ronnie Brown is good like really good
NY Giants 44 Seattle 6
- AFC East and NFC East won some sort of raffle to get to play the NFC West. These 2 confrences may send 6 teams just because they play the NFC West.
- Eli now is going through the Terry Bradshaw effect
- David Carr threw a TD yes it got that bad
Washington 23 Philadelphia 17
- Jason Cambell hasn't thrown an int yet.
- For the third time this year Eagles have taken defeat from the jaws of victory. They have to be the best 2-3 team I have ever seen.
Carolina 34 Kansas City 0
- Carolina averaged 10.7 yards per pass
- If Herman Edwards keeps his job after this season he becomes the Matt Millen of coaching
Tennessee 13 Baltimore 10
- Even though Kerry Collins tried to do everything in his power to prevent it the Titans won.
- Ever Since Albert Haynesworth steped on Andre Gurode face he has been the best defensive player in the NFL
Indy 31 Houston 27
- Sage Rosenfels look liked like he one the starting QB job, then he did his John Elway, Cap Rooney impression and next week him be holding a clipboard
- Anyone see Peyton Manning make a bull durham reference in his press confrence. People wonder why Peyton is loved.
Denver 16 Tampa Bay 13
- Broncos defense finally showed up its a miracle
- Brian Griese finally played against the team that drafted and he proved why they hate him.
Dallas 31 Cincinatti 22
- Ocho Cinco has to bring back the checklist. So every week he can check off every reciever.
- Terrel Ownes only catches two passes in a win. His reception total in wins 5, 3, 2, 2
Arizona 41 Buffalo 17
- I have no idea how Buffalo loss so I will just blame J.P Losman
- I still have no idea of how this happen
New England 30 San Fransico 21
- Randy Moss now has had 7 different QBS complete 60 yard passes to him (Cunningham,George, Culpepper, Frerotte, Collins, Brady, Cassel)
- J.T O'Sullivan is very eratic
Pittsburgh 26 Jacksonville 21
- Anyone see how quickly Dennis Dixon and Byron Leftwitch ran when Ben went down for a second
- John Madden really likes Troy Polamulu it is starting to reach Favre levels.
Power Rankings
1. Giants
2. Titans

362 Chiefs

577 Lions
578 Rams

bigbluedefense
10-06-2008, 12:53 PM
Jason Witten is Dallas's MVP right now. If it wasn't for him, they could possibly have 3 losses right now.

We've all said that TO is the key to that offense. We might be wrong. It might be Jason Witten.

vidae
10-06-2008, 01:09 PM
Matt Millen of coaching? Wow. That's a bit harsh. That loss was about as painful as it's ever been for KC fans but I'm personally still optimistic.

Not about yesterday. That was just complete garbage. We didn't show up at all, but I'm happy with the way the team is being built. We're a young team and everyone knew this season would be ugly so it's a little easier to take. But just a little.

ShutDwn
10-06-2008, 01:21 PM
Matt Millen of coaching? Wow. That's a bit harsh. That loss was about as painful as it's ever been for KC fans but I'm personally still optimistic.

Not about yesterday. That was just complete garbage. We didn't show up at all, but I'm happy with the way the team is being built. We're a young team and everyone knew this season would be ugly so it's a little easier to take. But just a little.

The Chiefs are just really young, they had a fantastic draft and it will start paying off soon enough. They also have an issue at QB, but once they get that settled they will be back.

Vikes99ej
10-06-2008, 01:27 PM
Is Brian Westbrook showing his age, or is he just a sissy little *****?

illmatic74
10-06-2008, 01:34 PM
I was going to put this in did anyone see what was on Matt Jone's face.

diabsoule
10-06-2008, 01:56 PM
Jason Witten is Dallas's MVP right now. If it wasn't for him, they could possibly have 3 losses right now.

We've all said that TO is the key to that offense. We might be wrong. It might be Jason Witten.

I think Marion Barber is key to the Dallas offense. Jason Witten is the lock that the key fits in. There's a bad joke in there somewhere.

awfullyquiet
10-06-2008, 02:01 PM
Herm Edwards is fine coach.

Don't be hating. He will keep his job, they have a young team and will lose some.

Don't compare detroit to KC.

Geo
10-06-2008, 02:02 PM

I think a healthy TO is the most important position for their offense, in terms of receivers. He'll open things up for the rest of the team, and can give them that one big play in the game to keep/change momentum.

If he were to go down, or gets banged up, the offense falls off hard. And we've seen that in the playoffs the last two years.

I love Witten and Barber, please don't get me wrong on that account, but I think the Cowboys could get by much easier if either were to go down than TO. Especially when they drafted two good-looking pups at those positions this past April.

Gay Ork Wang
10-06-2008, 02:02 PM
I think Marion Barber is key to the Dallas offense. Jason Witten is the lock that the key fits in. There's a bad joke in there somewhere.
Felix Jones > Marion Barber

illmatic74
10-06-2008, 02:08 PM
Herm Edwards is fine coach.

Don't be hating. He will keep his job, they have a young team and will lose some.

Don't compare detroit to KC.
He ran Larry Johnson to the ground.

NY+Giants=NYG
10-06-2008, 02:18 PM
What's the Terry Bradshaw effect?

21ST
10-06-2008, 02:24 PM
What's the Terry Bradshaw effect?

Being sorry and just havin a bunch of really good people around you so all you have to do is throw the ball up?

DiG
10-06-2008, 02:24 PM
Washington 23 Philadelphia 17
- Jason Cambell hasn't thrown an int yet.

He hasn't fumbled either which was a bigger problem for him in the past than ints.

giantsfan
10-06-2008, 02:33 PM
I'm going to put this out there and you can take it or leave it, but JP Losman < Rex Grossman.He'll complete the one bomb to Lee Evans a game, but outside of that all he's good for are sacks and INTs. On the last few drives he was dropped or picked off every time he dropped back to pass It was kind of hilarious to watch since I'm not a bills fan, just a bills sympathizer.

Number 10
10-06-2008, 02:35 PM
Michael Smith and Peter King have echoed what I said yesterday.

Apologies will be accepted.

HUGH!
10-06-2008, 02:37 PM

Nah T.O. is the key to the cowboys offense. They won as a team man. And if you say jason witten won the games its really unfair. He has his teamates, he has his quarterback.

21ST
10-06-2008, 02:39 PM
Michael Smith and Peter King have echoed what I said yesterday.

Apologies will be accepted.

LOL they will gain you some credibily.....sike

giantsfan
10-06-2008, 02:50 PM

Having both of them is the key to their offense. You can double team TO and minimize his impact, you can double team Witten and minimize his impact, but you can't double team and shut down both, so one of them will get you and that versatility in their attack is why they can be such a pass heavy team and succeed, unless of course Garrett feelings like forgetting the pass and just running for a stretch until he decides he's ran enough can just pass for the next drive or two.

Being sorry and just havin a bunch of really good people around you so all you have to do is throw the ball up?

Really good people like Hixon, Toomer, Smith, Mario, Boss and the RBs? I mean I thought we just determined that our skill position players weren't that as good as most giants fans were saying? Either way I think eli makes our receivers look better more than they make him look better but I'm sure I won't convince many people of that.

awfullyquiet
10-06-2008, 02:59 PM
He ran Larry Johnson to the ground.

And? What else are you supposed to do with running backs?

Let them sit on the bench?

illmatic74
10-06-2008, 03:00 PM
What's the Terry Bradshaw effect? It is a term I thought of and it is in it beginning stages. It is when you were either hated by your fans or considered a dissapointment or both but when you won a title you were loved and you seemed to play with more confidence. Before the Steelers won the Super Bowl in 1974 Bradshaw was hated by his fan base and his highest passer rating 64.1. But after he won the Super Bowl his rating the next year 88.0(very high for the deadball era). Other instances Eli Manning, Chauncey Billups, Phil Simms

illmatic74
10-06-2008, 03:02 PM
And? What else are you supposed to do with running backs?

Let them sit on the bench? Not let him carry the ball 415 times thats absurd. That breaks the curse of 370 by 45 carries

giantsfan
10-06-2008, 03:02 PM
It is a term I thought of and it is in it beginning stages. It is when you were either hated by your fans or considered a dissapointment or both but when you won a title you were loved and you seemed to play with more confidence. Before the Steelers won the Super Bowl in 1974 Bradshaw was hated by his fan base and his highest passer rating 64.1. But after he won the Super Bowl his rating the next year 88.0(very high for the deadball era). Other instances Eli Manning, Chauncey Billups, Phil Simms

A lot of the more intelligent giants fans were patient with Eli it's dumb fans who loved tiki and the pro-tiki media that trashed eli and threw him under the bus.

illmatic74
10-06-2008, 03:11 PM
A lot of the more intelligent giants fans were patient with Eli it's dumb fans who loved tiki and the pro-tiki media that trashed eli and threw him under the bus. You have to admit he was pretty bad in the regular season. He turned the ball over 27 times.

SuperMcGee
10-06-2008, 03:22 PM
Arizona 41 Buffalo 17
- I have no idea how Buffalo loss so I will just blame J.P Losman
- I still have no idea of how this happen

Don't blame Losman. He was far from spectacular, but this one is on the defense, and the o-line stopped doing him favors in the second half.

diabsoule
10-06-2008, 03:25 PM
Don't blame Losman. He was far from spectacular, but this one is on the defense, and the o-line stopped doing him favors in the second half.

I was about to post asking how Losman did.

Geo
10-06-2008, 03:27 PM
Same old with that loser. Unless you want a QB who is only competent throwing a few deep balls or tucking the ball.

illmatic74
10-06-2008, 03:28 PM
I didn't see the game so it is much easier to blame Losman

Geo
10-06-2008, 03:30 PM
I wouldn't say he was the main culprit for the Bills' loss though. Arizona had a great start and the Bills' defense couldn't stop them once they got hot.

awfullyquiet
10-06-2008, 03:31 PM
Not let him carry the ball 415 times thats absurd. That breaks the curse of 370 by 45 carries

And the fault of Larry Johnson this year is... The same as Jamaal Charles...
Curse or no curse. Who cares. larry Johnson moved the ball.

SuperMcGee
10-06-2008, 03:31 PM
Do so if you want. He wasn't great, but we still lose that game with Trent at QB.

giantsfan
10-06-2008, 03:35 PM
You have to admit he was pretty bad in the regular season. He turned the ball over 27 times.

See he had all of those turnovers but he still showed in the regular season that he could drive that offense when we needed it and most were the result of Killdrive's desire to be a vertical passing team when we were at our best going more horizontal in the passing game. He forced things because that's what his coaches want to be able to do, but it just wasn't our best chance at success and the INTs are the result of this failed attempt to be vertical, which is why it's so disheartening to see Killdrive going back to it after finally changing up his game plan for last year playoffs.

illmatic74
10-06-2008, 03:41 PM
And the fault of Larry Johnson this year is... The same as Jamaal Charles...
Curse or no curse. Who cares. larry Johnson moved the ball.
He might have been looking at a hall of fame career but now he is shot because of the ridiculous amount of carries. Broncos game flash in pan.

bigbluedefense
10-06-2008, 03:42 PM

aww, well aren't you a cute one?

redskin fans get so adorable when they start winning.

Geo
10-06-2008, 03:45 PM
Redskins have the most underrated defense in the league. They are doing a great job against the pass, and are playing the run better than in previous years.

And without that overrated twerp Gregg Williams, look at that.

bigbluedefense
10-06-2008, 03:46 PM
Redskins have the most underrated defense in the league.

And without that overrated twerp Gregg Williams, look at that.

i must admit, i am very very impressed with their coverage schemes.

Their defense is built upon their safeties. Laron Landry is already the best safety in football, and Horton is not too shabby himself. Everything they do on defense in terms of coverage and coverage disguises starts with their safeties and their ridiculous range.

bigbluedefense
10-06-2008, 03:51 PM
As far as being underrated, i don't think thats the case. they were the #8 ranked defense in the league last year I believe? i know they were top 10, i remember that much.

The reason why their run defense is so much better is because again, their safeties.

Horton is a great run stuffing safety, and Landry's range is so ridiculous they can cheat up on stuff the run more while Laron blankets the entire field. Even sometimes Landry moves up to the line and they play a 9 man box. Landry's range is so ridiculous, he can play at the LOS, and race downfield at the snap and cover the deep middle in Cover 1/3 still. His range is that ridiculous.

And Horton has incredible range too. The range of those 2 safeties allows them to sell certain coverages and immediately race into their true positions and really give the offense a look that was very different from their presnap formation. Their ability to disguise coverages with their safeties is what makes that defense so good. And its all about their safeties.

Props to their DC for using his safety talent to the best of his ability. But that defense is what it is because of the incredible range of its safety duo.

Not to mention a duo of underrated DTs, an underrated DE in Carter, and a very underrated LB core.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-06-2008, 04:02 PM
You also have to consider who the Redskins have played. In their 5 games they have faced the Giants the #1 rated offense in the NFL, the Saints the 3rd rated Offense in the NFL, the Cardinals the 5th rated offense in the NFL, the Cowboys the 4th rated offense in the NFL, and the Eagles the 9th rated offense in the NFL. That's 5 top 9 offenses in the NFL and 4 top 5 offenses and they are still impressive. Can't wait for our next 3 game stretch when we face the Rams, the Lions, and the Browns.

CashmoneyDrew
10-06-2008, 04:11 PM
I'm gonna have to disagree with the whole "The Titans won no matter how hard Kerry Collins tried to lose" thing. He was without his best WR, and had about zero support from the run game. He didn't take any sacks and led the game winning drive at the end. You probably saw his two picks and made your decision based on that. His first pick was just a good play by a d-lineman getting a hand up to deflect it, and it was picked by another d-lineman. That rarely happens. His other pick, while it was his fault, really didn't hurt us. It was a third and long play that got intercepted down field so it was essentially a punt.

Gay Ork Wang
10-06-2008, 04:19 PM
who wouldve thought that thee Titans would be the only team in the AFC to be undefeated...i thought they would hardly be the #2 team in their division

Geo
10-06-2008, 04:30 PM
You also have to consider who the Redskins have played. In their 5 games they have faced the Giants the #1 rated offense in the NFL, the Saints the 3rd rated Offense in the NFL, the Cardinals the 5th rated offense in the NFL, the Cowboys the 4th rated offense in the NFL, and the Eagles the 9th rated offense in the NFL. That's 5 top 9 offenses in the NFL and 4 top 5 offenses and they are still impressive. Can't wait for our next 3 game stretch when we face the Rams, the Lions, and the Browns.
Getting Jason Taylor and Shawn Springs healthy will be big.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-06-2008, 04:38 PM
Yup we get back Marcus Washington too, but to be honest if it weren't for namesake HB Blades should be starting over Marcus Washington. Flat out he is a better player. Washington is slightly washed up and not capable of being an every down backer anymore. He would be a coveted defensive weapon if we just used him like last year, a 3rd down pass rusher with his hand down, and a rotational backer in certain sets. As is we play better when he is hurt and Blades is starting, but he is certain to come back from injury and get his spot back. Basically I am just ecstatic that we are the only team in the league who has already finished their division road schedule. We can make the playoffs even if we just win one of the 3 remaining division games, all at home.

bigbluedefense
10-06-2008, 05:20 PM
I think the Skins defense is better without Taylor. At least on 1st and 2nd down that is.

We had a lot of fun running off tackle at Jason Taylor in week 1.

21ST
10-06-2008, 05:58 PM
aww, well aren't you a cute one?

redskin fans get so adorable when they start winning.

I asked a question.....

21ST
10-06-2008, 06:01 PM
I think the Skins defense is better without Taylor. At least on 1st and 2nd down that is.

We had a lot of fun running off tackle at Jason Taylor in week 1.

Well he has been hurt all season

bigbluedefense
10-06-2008, 06:10 PM
Well he has been hurt all season

still though, even when healthy i don't see him holding up on the strongside.

just use him on passing downs, and you'll be fine.

what made the Skins great is that theyve been dominating both LOS every week except the 1st week.

I think a big reason why we ran so well on the skins is bc our oline is really good, but also bc Taylor was a liability.

21ST
10-06-2008, 06:29 PM
i must admit, i am very very impressed with their coverage schemes.

Their defense is built upon their safeties. Laron Landry is already the best safety in football, and Horton is not too shabby himself. Everything they do on defense in terms of coverage and coverage disguises starts with their safeties and their ridiculous range.

The craziest thing about LaRon is the isnt even the best saftey we have seen over the years. I swear all the time i just think what it would have been like with those 2 guys.

A Perfect Score
10-06-2008, 07:00 PM
Just a thingy, dont look now, but the Baltimore Ravens have the best defense in the league by ALOT...they are only allowing 192 ypg from opposing offenses. Its like 50 yards better then the #2 defense in the league...yay!

Im sorry, I just dont have much to brag about these days concerning my Ravens I had to say something

NIN1984
10-06-2008, 10:43 PM
I was a huge Jason Campbell fan when he came out in the draft, I love watching him play and I'm glad he is playing so well.

jsagan77
10-06-2008, 11:04 PM
Does anyone else think that the Giants are a little over rated..? Not overated in a bad sense just "Best team in the NFL" overated... Don't get me wrong I think they are a top 4 team and a very good team but in all reality they really haven't played anyone yet.

They've had 3 of their 4 games at the Meadowlands and the teams they beat are a combined 6-12 I believe.. 2-11 when you take out the Skins game..

Their schedule doesn't get tough till midseason and continues to be so from there on out... I can't wait to see them during that stretch to see if all this high flying O and crushing run game isn't just an aberation of matchups...

Geo
10-06-2008, 11:18 PM
They've played so well, whoever the competition is. They deserve more than any other to be regarded as the best team in the league right now. For what that is really worth.

BlindSite
10-07-2008, 12:18 AM
Does anyone else think that the Giants are a little over rated..? Not overated in a bad sense just "Best team in the NFL" overated... Don't get me wrong I think they are a top 4 team and a very good team but in all reality they really haven't played anyone yet.

They've had 3 of their 4 games at the Meadowlands and the teams they beat are a combined 6-12 I believe.. 2-11 when you take out the Skins game..

Their schedule doesn't get tough till midseason and continues to be so from there on out... I can't wait to see them during that stretch to see if all this high flying O and crushing run game isn't just an aberation of matchups...

I'm always hesitant to call a player or team overrated for beating up on a weaker opponent.

Its not like boxing where they can choose the man across from them.

giantsfan
10-07-2008, 12:24 AM
We're not even half way into the season, who cares who the best team in the league is right now?