PDA

View Full Version : BlindSite's Week 5 Sunday Wrap Up (posted monday lawl)

BlindSite
10-07-2008, 12:15 AM
Though I endeavour to include all top performances and as many great plays and players each and every week, time and space means that there will be a few I miss. This is no reflection on the team or me as a fan or writer, in some cases itís just unlucky they're not included. Enjoy.

Break out Performer
Steve Slaton wasn't expected to take over the starting job from Ahman Green for at least another year, but the turnaround in the Texans running game with Slaton at the helm has been undeniable. Though Sage Rosenfels managed to throw away a good lead against the colts by turning over the ball three times, Slaton did everything he could to keep the Texans ahead. With over 95 total yards in each of his last three games, he's beginning to make his mark as a dual threat for Texans. His four total Touch downs are tied for best amongst rookies so far this year and he's cemented the starting job for at least the next few games. With Andre Johnson at receiver, a young defense beginning to come along and what looks like at least one serviceable quarterback (Matt Schaub) itís the Texans may finally be on track.

Coaching Comments
Miami began their year by selecting some of the best talent in the NFL Draft, hiring one of the best coaches in the history of the NFL to manage their football operations and later, signing a dependable quarterback. While the Dolphins wins haven't always been pretty and the latest two have come through what was considered a dead offense itís great to see a blue print for success working so early. Tuna has things going right in Miami and Ronnie Brown, Chad Pennington and the defense are making it happen without their stars of old and in style.

Rod Marinelli has come out and publically refused to quit his post as the Detroit Lions head coach a move that to some may smell of desperation, but walk a mile in his shoes. First he inherited a team with poor offensive and defensive lines, the team he took over had gone through poor draft after poor draft and he still doesn't have a quaterback of the present or the future. Bill Parcells comments about cooking the meal and needing to choose some of the groceries rings true, in this case he's cooking with rotten ingredients and that canít be easy. The removal of Matt Millen will at least give Marinelli one chance to put together a successful strategy for building a team. Any future success is going to hinge on the work of the new General Manager and Marinelli at least deserves a chance with an NFL calibre roster.

Poor Players
Sage Rosenfels had to protect seventeen points in one quarter and it seemed, did everything he could to throw away the game. Two fumbles and an interception aided the colts in a furious 21 point comeback. The interception could be considered a defensive effort, but the two fumbles occurred on plays where Rosenfels was out of the pocket and running around. The first could've been avoided by sliding as Quarterbacks are trained since pop warner days, the second was a roll out to the left when he wasn't carrying the ball in any manner of secure. The Texans are likely another year away from competing but throwing away what would've been a momentous victory is inexcusable.

QB Watch
When the Bears made the announcement that they were switching the reigns of their offense over to Kyle Orton the impression was more the Rex Grossman was really that bad, rather than Orton being that good. It appears that Orton might be more than just a back up. While he still profiles to more of a game manager than a game changer in the past couple of months he's been responsible for a number of big plays. Against the Colts, Eagles and now the Lions Orton was responsible for several big plays to his tight end and receivers off the back of the running game. No more do the Bears need to depend solely on a return or defensive turn over to win games. Their offense, under good direction is beginning to become good enough on its own to keep the Bears competitive. They may just be the class of the NFC North.

Rookie Watch
Big props obviously to rookies Matt Ryan and Slaton who were mentioned early. Also to Jake Long who most in Miami would agree was well worth the first round pick, he's been a big part of keeping Pennington upright and holes open for Ronnie Brown.

Sam Baker deserves another mention here for the second time in five weeks as a great rookie tackle.

Homer Corner
Itís hard to go past DeAngelo's performance this week. With the whole NFL focused on the brilliance of Jon Stewart it seems Williams found some motivation to remind everyone that he is the NCAA all time yards from scrimmage leader and he is definitely the starter in Carolina.

The offensive line deserves massive credit for this win as well, with both tackles and the centre suffering injuries three backups rotated in and the offense never skipped a beat.

Though the defense and the offense managed to decimate the lowly Chiefs, this kind of tune up game is good to keep chemistry and momentum raised heading into two big divisional clashes against Tampa Bay and New Orleans.

The Panthers have faced the best rushers in the NFL and none of them could get 100 yards.

Itís been 9 Quarters of football since the panthers defense allowed a touchdown.

Other Stuff
Drew Brees is a better quarterback than he's given credit for. Most people will mention Manning, Brady and Romo as their top tier players, Favre generally gets a mention, I'd go so far as to suggest he's better than Romo and Favre and on par with Manning and Brady. Brees didn't start off well in his career and he's had a good offensive cast in the years he flourished, but right now, without health at receiver, his offensive line at times falling apart and some big issues on his defense he single handedly seems to will his team into positions to win.

Greenbay is somewhat of an enigma. Yes the injures on defense are undoubtedly hurting the team right now, especially in the secondary and Rogers is doing everything he can to win games, but the lack of running game and consistency has to be a little unsettling for fans. If they slide too far in the coming weeks they won't be able to catch the Bears.

Tampa Bay are too up and down to yet be considered a legitimate contender (Tampa homers, keep in mind they were my pick over Carolina to win the division). Thanks in large part to their age and their head coach. While the offense has a lot of young talent on the offensive line, running back, tight end and at parts of the receiver position, the starting corner backs are showing their age, meaning Aquib Talib will need to be ready sooner rather than later. Chucky needs to stop the revolving door at QB and pick a starter no matter the result. The smart money would be on Garcia, but Chucky isn't what many would consider a smart coach.

Dallas will need to find some balance if they're to make the playoffs. If this statement was made in the preseason there'd be vilifications of insanity levelled at the author, but consider this. New York and Washington are realistically established at this juncture as the class of the East. The Redskins are playing brilliant football and the Giants are really beginning to gather momentum, and have shown their explosiveness even without Plaxico Burress. Romo seems to still make bone headed mistakes, and TO still thinks the universe revolves around him. Barber needs the ball at least 15-20 times a game, their defense needs more time catching their breath and their tempo needs to be slowed down. The Cowboys are still a relatively safe bet to make the playoffs, but with the NFC East always beating up on each other itís hard to see them finishing in the top two with Washington and New York playing such good football.

Prediction Update:
Brett Favre Will Flounder in New York Favre is playing well and looking like he can keep the Jets competitive in a tough division. Thus far False

Julius Peppers will have a Career Year Peppers is playing exactly where he should be to be a productive force. He's on pace for around 10 sacks and 3 forced fumbles. While I think he'll ramp up his production, for him having a career year, after the amazing years he's had its not looking too good. Thus far False

The New Orleans Saints Won't Win the NFC South Tampa bay and Carolina are well and truly the class of the division at this stage. In a couple of weeks with their defensive tackle, running back, wide receivers, offensive line and tight end healthy they may make some more noise, but with the Panthers coming in week seven they need to win and win now to be in the mix. Thus far True

Ben Roethlisberger will be in the mix for MVP Injuries at the running back position and the pathetic offensive line have undoubtedly hindered his performance at this juncture. He's currently almost exactly average in yards, completion percentage, rating and in touchdowns. Thus far False

Derek Anderson will come crashing back to earth I don't think I was alone in this prediction and so far it appeears to be pretty accurate. The browns haven't been the force they were a year ago and it seems only a matter of time before Brady Quinn is given his chance, This far True

Drew Stanton Will be Given a shot Though this isn't a certainty Dan Orlovsky being given some playing time, the firing of Matt Millen and what looks like a real shot at the first overall pick I highly doubt the Lions will not give Stanton a chance before the end of the year. Right now this is more of a Push than anything else.

Dr. Gonzo
10-07-2008, 12:17 AM
Last week everyone was trashing Orton for his performance and the he has a great game against the Lions and the QB situation is solved? I mean is that not expected.

d34ng3l021
10-07-2008, 12:34 AM
Yeah what the hell is up with that Carolina run defense? Is it this badass?

http://www.panthers.com/panthers/uploadedImages/News/Articles/070428_beason_inside.jpg

BlindSite
10-07-2008, 12:47 AM
Last week everyone was trashing Orton for his performance and the he has a great game against the Lions and the QB situation is solved? I mean is that not expected.

I saw him play the colts, carolina and the eagles. I'm sold on him.

bigbluedefense
10-07-2008, 11:15 AM
Everyone is praising the Titans defense as the best in the league. I disagree. Its Baltimore. And by a far margin.

Baltimore's defense has been godly this season. Ray Lewis is playing like he was 25, and they barely give you anything. The problem is they have a division II rookie at qb and suspect offense whereas Tennesee has more consistency there.

As much as it pains me to say this, the Colts aren't the Colts anymore.

We all talk about the NFC East, but while the division isn't nearly as strong as the East, more should be said about the NFC South. This division is competitive, and all 4 teams could still win it. Right now I think it will be a race between Carolina and NO, but Atlanta and Tampa have been competitive as well.

Another thing no one wants to admit: San Diego kept the wrong RB.

Is it just me, or is Cedric Benson running a lot harder and faster for Cinncy? Fantasy owners, pick up Benson.

And another fantasy tidbit: Buy Stephen Jackson while the price is still low.

Geo
10-07-2008, 11:32 AM
If Atlanta wins the South and manages to continue the division tradition of worst-to-first for yet another year, that will be nuts.

bigbluedefense
10-07-2008, 11:36 AM
If Atlanta wins the South and manages to continue the division tradition of worst-to-first for yet another year, that will be nuts.

if thats the case, forget OROY, does Matt Ryan's name deserve consideration for MVP?

*just throwing it out there*

Also throw Turner's name in there too.

21ST
10-07-2008, 11:36 AM
Is there still any doubt in people mind or does everyone pretty much agree that the NFC BEAST is the best divison in football hands down

bigbluedefense
10-07-2008, 11:38 AM
Is there still any doubt in people mind or does everyone pretty much agree that the NFC BEAST is the best divison in football hands down

through 5 weeks, only 1 loss out of divison. which was a patented Philly chokejob against the Bears.

we haven't seen a division this stacked in a long time. you can make a legitimate argument that the worst team in the East could be the #1 seed in almost any other division in football.

Geo
10-07-2008, 11:46 AM
NFC East is definitely the best division in football.

d34ng3l021
10-07-2008, 02:18 PM
if thats the case, forget OROY, does Matt Ryan's name deserve consideration for MVP?

*just throwing it out there*

Also throw Turner's name in there too.

We might be just jumping the gun. The Packers are talented (considerably) but are very injured. I would like to see some consistency from the Falcons offense first. And if we do get first (I would jizz my pants first), I think a lot of Falcons have to be up for numerous awards and acclamations. Turner - MVP, OPOTY. Ryan - ROTY (not MVP. Unless he makes huge strides). Abraham - DPOTY. White - All Pro/Pro Bowl. Mike Smith - Coach of the Year.

If we can win against the Bears and keep the game close against Philly, then I might go ahead and think about winning the division. Carolina needs to stumble though.

21ST
10-07-2008, 02:38 PM
The only reason the NFC south is competitive is because there really is no good team, all of the teams are on about the same level

vidae
10-07-2008, 03:22 PM
The only reason the NFC south is competitive is because there really is no good team, all of the teams are on about the same level

Watch more Panthers game. A lights out run D and a very good rushing attack. They're the truth. They will surprise some people in the post season this year.

Number 10
10-07-2008, 03:31 PM

The Panthers have the recipe for success when it comes to the NFL. Don't overlook them.

And the Saints can be dangerous down the stretch if they get healthy.

Bruce Banner
10-07-2008, 05:15 PM
Overall good analysis but don't call other people homers, it's slightly hypocritical.

BlindSite
10-07-2008, 05:17 PM

I don't want to go on a scream here but here's some facts.

LaDanian Tomlinson
Matt Forte
Adrian Petersen
Michael Turner
Larry Johnson

All failed to gain 100 yards on the Panthers. Their scoring defense right now is tied with Baltimore for Third in the NFL and they're fifth for yardage.

As mentioned above, 9 quarters of football without allowing a touchdown on defense is pretty impressive.

The secondary is playing the best I've ever seen and our line backers are probably the best trio in the division.

Jake Delhomme, Steve Smith, Mushin Muhummad have been giving the team a good passing game and there's two young, healthy stud first round picks are running back.

The next two games will hopefully show the NFL how good the Panthers are. They dominated the Falcons and they're about to face the Buccs and the Saints, neither of whom have been as consistent as the Panthers.

I'm not saying they're a lock or that there's not a chance for a stumble, but right now the team has a lot of chemistry and is playing well. Otah and Gross need to get healthy and quickly though. I don't want to go into games at new york and denver without the starting tackles on board.

21ST
10-07-2008, 05:41 PM
I don't want to go on a scream here but here's some facts.

LaDanian Tomlinson
Matt Forte
Adrian Petersen
Michael Turner
Larry Johnson

All failed to gain 100 yards on the Panthers. Their scoring defense right now is tied with Baltimore for Third in the NFL and they're fifth for yardage.

As mentioned above, 9 quarters of football without allowing a touchdown on defense is pretty impressive.

The secondary is playing the best I've ever seen and our line backers are probably the best trio in the division.

Jake Delhomme, Steve Smith, Mushin Muhummad have been giving the team a good passing game and there's two young, healthy stud first round picks are running back.

The next two games will hopefully show the NFL how good the Panthers are. They dominated the Falcons and they're about to face the Buccs and the Saints, neither of whom have been as consistent as the Panthers.

I'm not saying they're a lock or that there's not a chance for a stumble, but right now the team has a lot of chemistry and is playing well. Otah and Gross need to get healthy and quickly though. I don't want to go into games at new york and denver without the starting tackles on board.

Let me start off by saying i think the Panthers are the best team overall in their divison and i expect them to win it, at the start of the season i thought they were going to stink it up and i admit that i was wrong.

My only problem with them is they havent played anybody yet, i belive whole heartedly that they will be able to beat up on their divison and come out at 4-2 at worst but i just dont think they will be able to match up against one of the better teams in the leauge.

BlindSite
10-07-2008, 05:50 PM
Let me start off by saying i think the Panthers are the best team overall in their divison and i expect them to win it, at the start of the season i thought they were going to stink it up and i admit that i was wrong.

My only problem with them is they havent played anybody yet, i belive whole heartedly that they will be able to beat up on their divison and come out at 4-2 at worst but i just dont think they will be able to match up against one of the better teams in the leauge.

I can understand where you're coming from, but the Panthers can't pick their schedule and its not like Chicago and Atlanta are both losing teams and they faced San Diego when they were fully healthy. When you get right down to it the only BAD team the Panthers have faced is the chiefs and they were routed to a shut out a week after they beat up the Broncos.

I can understand not being 100% on them because they haven't beaten a team like the titans, but the Panthers have won without their star receiver, without their starting tackles (both of them) and done so with a lot of style.

The point I'm trying to make, is that the foundation is there for them to join the elite of the NFL pretty soon. Especially on defense 0 rushing TDs allowed so far this year.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-07-2008, 06:12 PM
I'd just like to point out that Tim Hightower has the most total TD's for rookies.

sweetness34
10-07-2008, 06:14 PM
Orton went for 333 against the Detroit ******* Lions. A putrid team and an even worse pass defense.

Orton is not a starting QB in this league. His ability to go downfield changes like the wind. Did any of you actually watch the entire Philly in Week 4 when he passed for 3 early TD's and then went ice cold for the rest of the game?

21ST
10-07-2008, 06:16 PM
Oh yeah, im not sure if i said this yet but to me the MVP of the leauge hands down is Clinton Portis so far

giantsfan
10-07-2008, 06:21 PM
Orton went for 333 against the Detroit ******* Lions. A putrid team and an even worse pass defense.

Orton is not a starting QB in this league. His ability to go downfield changes like the wind. Did any of you actually watch the entire Philly in Week 4 when he passed for 3 early TD's and then went ice cold for the rest of the game?

But compared to previous Bears' QBs he's Dan Marino.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-07-2008, 06:24 PM
Oh yeah, im not sure if i said this yet but to me the MVP of the leauge hands down is Clinton Portis so far

I don't think you can say hands down as you can make an argument for many players, hell I love Fat Albert as an MVP candidate, but people are brutally ignoring Portis. Aside from pancaking anyone who tries to sack Campbell and providing a great catching threat, he is second in the NFL in rushing yards behind Michael Turner. He is averaging 4.5 ypc despite being the team's work horse and has 4 TD's. Most importantly is Portis has single handedly won games by finishing his runs in the 4th quarter. I love Turner especially since he is on my fantasy team and is the reason why the Falcons are so improved, but look who Portis has done this against. Turner did the bulk of his damage against cruddy teams like Detroit and Kansas City while being shut down against Tampa Bay and Carolina. Portis has been consistent every single game including getting 145 yards rushing on the #1 rated rush defense in the league the Philly Eagles. He also ran for 121 against the Cowboys. Even in the game in which the Skins appeared to do nothing right and had horrible line play he still managed 84 yards against the Giants. With the most brutal schedule in the first part of the season, Portis's next opponents will be the Rams, the Browns, and the Lions. Expect huge numbers from these next games, unless we are up and Zorn wants to let Jason explore some more. But yeah Portis definitely has to be in top 5 consideration for MVP.

BlindSite
10-07-2008, 06:26 PM

I've watched all but one of his performances so far this year. Yes Detroit is a **** team, but my opinions of him, we formed without watching him play detroit.

Against the Colts and Eagles he made several very good reads when receivers broke coverage down field and that lead to big gains and big points. I'm not saying he's peyton manning. What I said was his play is good enough for the offense to keep the team competitive. Victories for your team is now no longer reliant on a hester run back or a defensive return for a TD as was previously the case.

Most of the time you homers are jumping down my throat for not seeing a good performance, now I cop it for praising an adequate move for your team? How can I win...

ShutDwn
10-07-2008, 06:29 PM

Hands down?

There are tons of guys who are just as important if not more, ala Big Ben right now.

giantsfan
10-07-2008, 06:30 PM
How can I win...

By never mentioning the Bears QB position again. Orton's the first passer to do things for them since Jim Miller in 2001, let's not jinx it.

Gay Ork Wang
10-07-2008, 06:38 PM

nvm sweetness, he still wants grossman to start

BlindSite
10-07-2008, 10:40 PM
I'm really just curious to see if Forte can keep up the pace he's on with an extra four games than he's used to and more of the same hitting etc. Right now he's on pace for 342 carries this year and a total of seventy receptions. Thats 412 hits on his body, that's a lot of punishment for a young running back to go through.

SenorGato
10-07-2008, 11:18 PM
Drew Brees has been ridiculously underrated if it's still questionable on him being an elite QB. He's an elite QB. He's *been* an elite QB.

He's become one of my favorite players. Theres been a TON of knocks on this guy...crap two seasons...short...arm not strong enough...doesn't put enough velocity on outs...can't air it out...not tough enough...tore his shoulder apart...comes back...and he's been one of the most consistently productive QBs in the league...and his production has been at an elite level.

Brees is a really good story when you think about it...

//end man love for Drew Brees speech.

I am not a Saints/Chargers/Purdue fan.