PDA

View Full Version : RavenOfProphecy's Top-64 prospects!

Matthew Jones
10-07-2008, 08:25 AM
This is my top-64 draft eligible prospects as of the night of October 7th. I'm going to be updating it later, and I'm going to put the list in order at some point as well - this is just by position. I'll probably add/remove some players as well, this is off the top of my head. Let me know what you think.

FIRST ROUND PROSPECTS

QB
BRADFORD OU
SANCHEZ USC

RB
MORENO UGA
WELLS OSU

WR
CRABTREE TTU
HARVIN UF
HEYWARD-BEY UM
MACLIN MIZZ

TE
PETTIGREW OKST

OT
MONROE UVA
OHER MISS
SMITH BAMA

G
ROBINSON OU

C
MACK CAL

DE
HARDY MISS
JACKSON LSU
JOHNSON GT
MIDDLETON IND
ORAKPO UT
SELVIE USF

DT
JEAN-FRANCOIS LSU
MARKS AUB

OLB
CURRY WAKE
CUSHING USC
FREEMAN OSU

ILB
LAURINAITIS OSU
MAUALUGA USC

CB
DAVIS ILL
JENKINS OSU
MOORE VAN

S
MAYS USC
MOORE MIZZ

SECOND ROUND PROSPECTS

QB
FREEMAN KST
McCOY UT
STAFFORD UGA
TEBOW UF

RB
BROWN CONN
DAVIS CLEM
McCOY PITT
RINGER MSU
SPILLER CLEM

WR
MURPHY UF

TE
BECKUM WIS
COFFMAN MIZZ
PURVIS BC

OT
BLACK LSU
LOADHOLT OU
MEREDITH SCAR
SMITH BAY

G
JOHNSON LSU

DE
EVANS PSU
SHAUGHNESSY WISC

DT
ATKINS UGA
JERRY MISS
MOALA USC
RAJI BC
TAYLOR MICH

ILB
BECKWITH LSU
SPIKES UF

CB
BARNES UM
BUTLER CONN
HARRIS VT
SMITH WAKE

S
ROLLE FSU

eaglesalltheway
10-07-2008, 08:45 AM
I know he is a center, but Alex Mack has been garnering a lot of attention. I know it takes a lot for a center to go in the first, but he has what it takes. There are minor things I could quabble (pretty sure I just made that up) over, but this is very solid.

Yatta!
10-07-2008, 09:52 AM
No Stafford?

Matthew Jones
10-07-2008, 10:01 AM
No Stafford?

Nope. As most of you know, I am not a big Stafford fan at all. I don't even know if he would crack my top five list of draft-eligible prospects (when considering Bradford, Sanchez, Freeman, Tebow, Hall, McCoy, etc.) I just feel like he hasn't been productive enough to warrant any sort of first-round pick, and I think he'd bust if he had first-round pressure on him, especially if playing for a bad team. If he starts to throw for 300 yards and 2-3 touchdowns a game for the rest of the year, sure, he could be a top 10 pick or so. But if he continues passing for 200 and 1, I don't see him as a first-round value. He could be a first-round pick if he waits and some of the guys I mentioned above come out, though.

eaglesalltheway
10-07-2008, 10:21 AM
Nope. As most of you know, I am not a big Stafford fan at all. I don't even know if he would crack my top five list of draft-eligible prospects (when considering Bradford, Sanchez, Freeman, Tebow, Hall, McCoy, etc.) I just feel like he hasn't been productive enough to warrant any sort of first-round pick, and I think he'd bust if he had first-round pressure on him, especially if playing for a bad team. If he starts to throw for 300 yards and 2-3 touchdowns a game for the rest of the year, sure, he could be a top 10 pick or so. But if he continues passing for 200 and 1, I don't see him as a first-round value. He could be a first-round pick if he waits and some of the guys I mentioned above come out, though.

I too am not big on Stafford. We all know he has a big arm, but has had very little production when you consider his opportunities. Stafford is kind of like Kyle Boller IMO. He has that big arm to show off, but after that, what else do you look at? He has decent accuracy IMO, but one thing tht strikes me as off for Stafford, he just doesn't "look like a QB". It soudns dumb, but when you look at him, he just doesn't have that look. I don't know if it is because of soemthing in his head or what, but he just doesn't have that look IMO. I'm not big on Tebow or Freeman either though. Bradford, Sanchez, and McCoy (though he will stay) are all guys I like.

santeria531
10-07-2008, 10:49 AM
coming from a big USC fan, i'd have to say that the most impressive QB so far this year has been either Sam Bradford or Max Hall. Sanchez is getting it done too, which really excites me b/c Booty wasn't much to write home about.

DiG
10-07-2008, 11:09 AM
look pretty good raven. id be interested to see your overall rankings as well.

princefielder28
10-07-2008, 11:47 AM
looks pretty good but I agree with Mack needing a spot on there

Solomon
10-07-2008, 12:04 PM
Pretty good list. The only players I would probably have on my top 32 that you don't have are Jermaine Gresham, Jason Smith, Alex Mack, Geno Atkins and Trevard Lindley. But that's just my own personal preference.

Sniper
10-07-2008, 12:19 PM
DE Michael Johnson, Georgia Tech

Isn't good. Why is he on your list? Besides his measurables.

georgiafan
10-07-2008, 12:29 PM
Isn't good. Why is he on your list? Besides his measurables.

If your not going to put Stafford on your 32 because of lack of production I would think you would do the same for Johnson.

Matthew Jones
10-07-2008, 12:43 PM
I actually almost left Johnson off of the list in favor of Donald Brown, but decided against it. Johnson is worth a late-first in my opinion, since defensive ends are generally better at transitioning to the NFL than quarterbacks. Also, I'd say he has more tools than Stafford. We'll see, he might still drop off the list.

Sniper
10-07-2008, 12:43 PM
I actually almost left Johnson off of the list in favor of Donald Brown, but decided against it. Johnson is worth a late-first in my opinion, since defensive ends are generally better at transitioning to the NFL than quarterbacks. Also, I'd say he has more tools than Stafford. We'll see, he might still drop off the list.

Why not Greg Middleton? Or Maurice Evans? You know, someone who's done something.

Race for the Heisman
10-07-2008, 01:51 PM
Why not Greg Middleton? Or Maurice Evans? You know, someone who's done something.

You know, Big Ten...

Seriously now, what about RJF (LSU)?

Babylon
10-07-2008, 02:02 PM

Matt Ryan seemed to have the same concerns last year and there was the whole argument about him playing with inferior receivers etc. I think when actual scouts (not make believe internet scouts) look at Stafford they see great highschool pedigree, good size, good mobility, an absolute cannon for an arm and great touch on his passes. They also take into consideration adequate receivers(being kind), a porous O-line and a team that inherently runs the ball. If you plugged Sam Bradford into Stafford's situation at Georgia he would also have to scramble for his life, throw on the run and i'm not sure he could make the throws down the field that Matt does. I like Bradford but need to see more than being accurate throwing to a WR 10 yards down the field and that guy running for 60 yards on his own. If Bradford continues to develope i will be the 1st to tout him.

vidae
10-07-2008, 02:03 PM
Give my man Brandon Tate some love!

Matthew Jones
10-07-2008, 02:29 PM
Matt Ryan seemed to have the same concerns last year and there was the whole argument about him playing with inferior receivers etc. I think when actual scouts (not make believe internet scouts) look at Stafford they see great highschool pedigree, good size, good mobility, an absolute cannon for an arm and great touch on his passes. They also take into consideration adequate receivers(being kind), a porous O-line and a team that inherently runs the ball. If you plugged Sam Bradford into Stafford's situation at Georgia he would also have to scramble for his life, throw on the run and i'm not sure he could make the throws down the field that Matt does. I like Bradford but need to see more than being accurate throwing to a WR 10 yards down the field and that guy running for 60 yards on his own. If Bradford continues to develope i will be the 1st to tout him.

Matt Ryan was the only reason why Boston College won most of the games they did - he might have had high interception numbers, but of his 19 interceptions, 13 or 14 were on deep passes where he basically had to hail mary it downfield near the end of a game and hope someone caught it. He had no running game to work with, a mediocre offensive line (Gosder Cherilus is not a left tackle), and no-name wide receivers. Matt Stafford, despite his arm, hasn't been the reason Georgia's winning games. They could still have David Greene or D.J. Shockley at quarterback and be a one-loss team.

Babylon
10-07-2008, 02:40 PM
Matt Ryan was the only reason why Boston College won most of the games they did - he might have had high interception numbers, but of his 19 interceptions, 13 or 14 were on deep passes where he basically had to hail mary it downfield near the end of a game and hope someone caught it. He had no running game to work with, a mediocre offensive line (Gosder Cherilus is not a left tackle), and no-name wide receivers. Matt Stafford, despite his arm, hasn't been the reason Georgia's winning games. They could still have David Greene or D.J. Shockley at quarterback and be a one-loss team.

I agree that Georgia would still have one loss if Shockley and Greene were there, they'd also have one loss if Peyton Manning was there so i'm not sure what the point is.

Matthew Jones
10-07-2008, 02:42 PM
I agree that Georgia would still have one loss if Shockley and Greene were there, they'd also have one loss if Peyton Manning was there so i'm not sure what the point is.

I highly doubt a decent team led by Peyton Manning would lose to a college football team. The point is that Matt Stafford hasn't been an impact player for Georgia.

Babylon
10-07-2008, 02:54 PM
I highly doubt a decent team led by Peyton Manning would lose to a college football team. The point is that Matt Stafford hasn't been an impact player for Georgia.

Given the situation against Bama, no running game, no O-line blocking, only throwing on long yardage situations..... i'm not sure what Peyton would have done. He wouldnt have been scrambling too far with his mobility and he wouldn't be checking off much at the line of scrimmage because those receivers wouldnt have a clue what he was talking about. My guess is the net result would be the same. I thought the perfromance against ASU between Stafford and AJ Green was something you dont see at the college level very often. I guess it depends on your perspective.

Solomon
10-07-2008, 03:24 PM

They've both been pretty unimpressive this year. Their teammates Aaron Maybin (sp?) and Jammie Kirlew have been far more effective.

georgiafan
10-07-2008, 03:31 PM
Georgia would have still lost the game agianst bama no matter who was at QB including any NFL QB. Alabama first 5 possesions they scored 4 TD's and 1 FG and didn't punt or turn the ball over the whole first half. The only time Alabama didn't score was the 3rd quarter when they put it in cruise control and quit passing it. Once the game got close they opened up the playbook agian and scored 10 quick points. Stafford had no OL blocking and no threat to run the ball because of the score. He still put up good numbers and that was with UGA doing max protect and only sending 2 or 3 guys out per pass. Despite that max protect bama still got pressure. The return of Southerland should help alot this week.

Matthew Jones
10-07-2008, 04:42 PM
Alright, just tweaked a few things in the first round and added a second round as well.

foozball
10-07-2008, 05:03 PM
brandon spikes a 2nd rounder? marcus freeman a 1st?

underscore
10-07-2008, 05:12 PM
They've both been pretty unimpressive this year. Their teammates Aaron Maybin (sp?) and Jammie Kirlew have been far more effective.

Evans was suspended 3 games for marijuana possession, and really hasn't done much (save one sack vs. Illinois) the rest of the time.

Matthew Jones
10-07-2008, 05:14 PM
brandon spikes a 2nd rounder? marcus freeman a 1st?

Brandon Spikes has 41 tackles, 4.5 tackles for loss, and 1 sack already through four games. He's listed as 6'3", 245, and has ran between a 4.62 and 4.78 in the 40. I don't see what's strange about him being in the top two rounds, unless you are wondering why he's not in the first.

Marcus Freeman has 36 tackles, 4.5 tackles for loss, and 3 sacks already through six games. He's listed as 6'1", 238, and has ran between a 4.50 and 4.69 in the 40. Again, someone that productive, big, and fast isn't really out of place in the first couple rounds in my opinion. He's on pace for about 72 tackles, 9 tackles for loss, and 6 sacks. If he runs a 4.50 at the combine, that's a surefire first rounder.

Matthew Jones
10-07-2008, 05:16 PM
Oh, and by the way, Rey Maualuga has 19 tackles so far on the year. Laurinaitis actually has 57 already, though.

jnew76
10-07-2008, 05:33 PM
Good work as always Raven. People who I would include in top 32

1. Germaine Gresham - I think he is better than Pettigrew, and has the highest ceiling of all the eligible TE's.

2. Vince Oghobaase - DT - Duke - All the ability and potential in the world. Best nose or 2-gap DT that is eligible IMO.

In my 2nd round mix -

Sean Weatherspoon - OLB - Missouri - Call me a homer all you want, but I think he is the best defender playing for Missouri. Moore might be a better prospect, but Spoon is a player.

Mike Mickens - CB - Cincinnati - Personally, I like him better than any of the 2nd round prospects you have on there except Butler.

Juaquin Iglesias - WR - OU - A little undersized, but the more I see, the more I think he can be a great slot guy in the NFL.

Sniper
10-07-2008, 07:32 PM
Oh, and by the way, Rey Maualuga has 19 tackles so far on the year. Laurinaitis actually has 57 already, though.

Four of which he actually made, 53 after he jumped on a pile way after the play.

Don Vito
10-07-2008, 07:39 PM
Brandon Spikes has 41 tackles, 4.5 tackles for loss, and 1 sack already through four games. He's listed as 6'3", 245, and has ran between a 4.62 and 4.78 in the 40. I don't see what's strange about him being in the top two rounds, unless you are wondering why he's not in the first.

Marcus Freeman has 36 tackles, 4.5 tackles for loss, and 3 sacks already through six games. He's listed as 6'1", 238, and has ran between a 4.50 and 4.69 in the 40. Again, someone that productive, big, and fast isn't really out of place in the first couple rounds in my opinion. He's on pace for about 72 tackles, 9 tackles for loss, and 6 sacks. If he runs a 4.50 at the combine, that's a surefire first rounder.

I think Spikes has more than 1 sack and more thatn 4.5 TFL's. He must have had at least 1.5 sacks and 3 TFLs against Ole Miss alone, and that was the only game I've seen him play this year. Spikes is a beast and definitely has first round potential.

foozball
10-07-2008, 07:55 PM

yea im wondering why spikes isnt a 1st rounder. he's got the size and measurables plus the instincts and intangibles to be a 1st rounder.

as for freeman, he's fast and productive, but i feel like guys like him are always underappreciated in the draft. i dont quite think he has the instincts that a 1st round WLB should have either. i think he's a 2nd round prospect.

underscore
10-07-2008, 09:36 PM
Laurinaitis has one TFL on the year.

All those tackles, 1 TFL. vs. Troy.

That right there says a lot.

ammandss
10-08-2008, 08:21 AM
No OLBs in the second round. As a Virginia fan, I need to bring up:

Clint Sintim - 6'3" and 245 lbs - 30 tackles, 5.5 TFL, 5.0 sack (4 solo and 2 half), 3 QBH and a fumble recovery.

My only issue with him is that I need to see him come up big in the biggest games. He didn't do much in the past bowl games and against Virginia Tech. However, I think as the leader of the defense and team this year, I think he'll step up in those games with good efforts.

Matthew Jones
10-08-2008, 08:40 AM
No OLBs in the second round. As a Virginia fan, I need to bring up:

Clint Sintim - 6'3" and 245 lbs - 30 tackles, 5.5 TFL, 5.0 sack (4 solo and 2 half), 3 QBH and a fumble recovery.

My only issue with him is that I need to see him come up big in the biggest games. He didn't do much in the past bowl games and against Virginia Tech. However, I think as the leader of the defense and team this year, I think he'll step up in those games with good efforts.

Don't get me wrong, I love Sintim. I think for me he's mostly been hurt by the fact that Virginia has been allowing a massive number of points to teams that shouldn't score that much (Connecticut, Duke, etc.), and haven't looked alive on defense. I look forward to hopefully going down to Charlottesville before this season is over, as well as visiting the University of Maryland.

Also, I think the DEs and ILBs I listed in the second round could also potentially make it to OLB in certain systems.

Race for the Heisman
10-08-2008, 10:56 AM

Only on deep passes. He guns almost every short pass, which is one of the reasons his receivers drop some passes. He needs to take something off it more often to help his receivers out.

Also, I agree on Spikes. I like him better than Laurinaitis and Maualuga (if he stays he might go Jerod Mayo high).

Freeman is a good player, but I still have questions about him being a three-down player immediately in the NFL, which means that even if he has first round-quality measurables, he shouldn't come off the board until the second.

Cigaro
10-08-2008, 10:00 PM
I think Alphonso Smith is pretty much a lock for the first round. Not top five lock, but he should get picked there. Also Spikes will likely go in the first round as well.

WCH
10-08-2008, 10:16 PM
I like McCoy a lot. He's smart, accurate, and has the athletic ability that you look for. He really needs to gain at least 10 pounds, but I still like him a lot.

I'm not so high on Sanchez. Mind you, living in Michigan, I've only been able to catch one USC game (vs. OSU); but, he did some things that reminded me of Brett Favre. That's sort of like damning with faint praise, because guys who can get away with doing Favre-esque things in the NFL are few and far between. Most of those guys are complete failures in the Pro's. But again, I'm basing this off of one game.

Cribbs>Hester
10-09-2008, 01:34 AM
I stopped reading when I noticed no Charles Scott in the Top 2 rounds for RBs.

Matthew Jones
10-09-2008, 10:04 AM
I stopped reading when I noticed no Charles Scott in the Top 2 rounds for RBs.

At this point I think he could definitely place in the first round or two - Joseph Addai managed to, and I think Scott is a better prospect than he was. However, he's played one game against a quality team (Auburn), and although he played well from what I saw, I definitely haven't seen enough of him to give him a ranking at this point - I don't want to evaluate a prospect based on one game.

eaglesalltheway
10-09-2008, 12:20 PM
At this point I think he could definitely place in the first round or two - Joseph Addai managed to, and I think Scott is a better prospect than he was. However, he's played one game against a quality team (Auburn), and although he played well from what I saw, I definitely haven't seen enough of him to give him a ranking at this point - I don't want to evaluate a prospect based on one game.

Thank you, maybe you should tell that to mythbusta