PDA

View Full Version : RB class of 08: What are the chances it becomes the GOAT?

DMWSackMachine
10-07-2008, 02:56 PM
This class is mind boggling right now. It has what appears to be two highly touted studs in McFadden and Stewart, both of whom look legit up to this point. Some phenomenal speed backs who are gradually earning more PT in Felix Jones, Slaton and Chris Johnson. Then you have an all around mule in Matt Forte who looks to be everything that Ced Benson was supposed to be. That right there is 6 guys who could all potentially be Pro Bowlers at some, all of whom it seems plausible could be included in discussions of best RB in the league sometime down the road (not saying its likely, but one doesn't have to stretch the imagination to get there).

Is this the RB class that can finally be compared to the QB class of 84 or the WR class of 96? I remember for awhile that some were talking about the RB class of 1990 in those terms, but then everyone but Emmitt fell off the map.

Obviously its too soon to declare them on that level right now, but the makings are there, right? And I didn't even include all the guys who could still surprise. Mendenhall looks good and will get a shot to be the guy with Pittsburgh at some point. Hightower has shown promise as a short yardage and change of pace back. Kevin Smith has been good in spurts for a horrendous team, and numerous other mid rounders have a chance to emerge down the road. I know that Tashard Choice looks like a keeper for the Cowboys, though I can't see how he could ever get on the field.

Wow, its just amazing.

So, what does everyone think its chances of being someday distinguished as the best RB class ever are?

ShutDwn
10-07-2008, 02:59 PM
You can also add Tim Hightower to the list of guys who are impressing

D-Unit
10-07-2008, 03:10 PM
Interesting thought.... There are still others like Jamaal Charles, Mike Hart, Jacob Hester, Kevin Smith, Ryan Torain, and Ray Rice who might end up being more than just a role players in time.

Gay Ork Wang
10-07-2008, 03:11 PM
This class = the ****

illmatic74
10-07-2008, 03:14 PM
Interesting thought.... There are still others like Jamaal Charles, Mike Hart, Jacob Hester, Kevin Smith, Ryan Torain, and Ray Rice who might end up being more than just a role players in time.
Except maybe Charles those other guys will just be role players.

Gay Ork Wang
10-07-2008, 03:16 PM
idk Ryan Torain and kevin Smith could turn out good. Kevin Smith is starting and Torain well has Denver ZBS

vidae
10-07-2008, 03:19 PM
I am hoping we start Jamaal Charles here soon. LJ had a few great weeks and he is far from finished in the league but him giving up on plays is getting really tiresome to watch.

Anyone want to trade for LJ? I won't hold you over the coals, I'll give you a good deal.

Go_Eagles77
10-07-2008, 03:20 PM
And yet the eagles traded for Lorenzo Booker. ****!

SeanTaylorRIP
10-07-2008, 03:23 PM
I don't think Tim Hightower will be limited to a short yardage/change of pace back. He is one of the top 5 most natural runners from this draft, he will be the eventual successor for Edge. Anyone who saw him at RU knows he is going to be a beast in the NFL.

ShutDwn
10-07-2008, 03:32 PM
This class might be occupying more than a third of the leagues starting runningback positions in a few years, and there will be others who are going to be good second stringers. That would probably close the deal for me and make them the greatest class

Mr. Stiller
10-07-2008, 03:34 PM
This class is mind boggling right now. It has what appears to be two highly touted studs in McFadden and Stewart, both of whom look legit up to this point. Some phenomenal speed backs who are gradually earning more PT in Felix Jones, Slaton and Chris Johnson. Then you have an all around mule in Matt Forte who looks to be everything that Ced Benson was supposed to be. That right there is 6 guys who could all potentially be Pro Bowlers at some, all of whom it seems plausible could be included in discussions of best RB in the league sometime down the road (not saying its likely, but one doesn't have to stretch the imagination to get there).

Is this the RB class that can finally be compared to the QB class of 84 or the WR class of 96? I remember for awhile that some were talking about the RB class of 1990 in those terms, but then everyone but Emmitt fell off the map.

Obviously its too soon to declare them on that level right now, but the makings are there, right? And I didn't even include all the guys who could still surprise. Mendenhall looks good and will get a shot to be the guy with Pittsburgh at some point. Hightower has shown promise as a short yardage and change of pace back. Kevin Smith has been good in spurts for a horrendous team, and numerous other mid rounders have a chance to emerge down the road. I know that Tashard Choice looks like a keeper for the Cowboys, though I can't see how he could ever get on the field.

Wow, its just amazing.

So, what does everyone think its chances of being someday distinguished as the best RB class ever are?

Mendenhall was looking pretty good up until the injury..

I can't wait for him to come back next year.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-07-2008, 03:41 PM
2005 could have been a nasty draft class if it hadn't been for Benson busting and Ronnie Brown and Caddy always being hurt. With that said the class till produced Ronnie Brown, Caddy, Frank Gore, Marion Barber, Brandon Jacobs, and Darren Sproles. Guys like JJ Arrington, Ryan Moats, Eric Shelton, Vernand Morency, and Alvin Pearman were all guys who we thought during their rookie years were going to be starters in the NFL. Personally I thought JJ Arrington was the Cardinals solution at HB until he played. I also though Morency was going to be good. So it's too early to make judgments at this point. Guys like Matt Forte, Ray Rice, Steve Slaton etc., could end up having anemic careers despite early success. Too early to say right now.

BlindSite
10-07-2008, 05:06 PM
Without injury I can see this happening. Stewart is playing well from my mind and if Williams went down tomorrow with a season ending injury as a fan I wouldn't really feel any kind of nervousness or uncertainty about the position.

Chris Johnson has helped to give the Titans a much needed running game which I believe is the sole reason their defense is winning games.

In a couple of years Ray Rice and Flacco will give the Ravens something to build around.

I can type all day about the brilliance of Forte Hightower slaton and the list goes on, but what I can't do is sit here and type out the reason why they'll bust out in a year or two and that IMO speaks more than the praise of them could.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
10-07-2008, 05:41 PM
Mendenhall was looking pretty good up until the injury..

I can't wait for him to come back next year.

Ya, he looked like a monster......for all of like 5 carries. Believe it or not, he didn't fumble in the game either! Sad, but i'd say that was an actual accomplishment.

Mendenhall isn't even worth mentioning at this point.

BlindSite
10-07-2008, 05:52 PM
I kind of agree, I'm happy we didn't take Otah early and trade back up for Mendenhall.

LonghornsLegend
10-07-2008, 05:59 PM
Chris Johnson has helped to give the Titans a much needed running game which I believe is the sole reason their defense is winning games.

I like CJ, a WHOLE lot, but he's certainly not the sole reason their defense is winning games, not even close actually...Their defense has been winning games for a long time, well before they drafted him.

ChezPower4
10-07-2008, 06:29 PM
Kevin Jones is a back who i think given some time to develop will be good. As of right now he's a young player on a god aweful team.

Gay Ork Wang
10-07-2008, 06:35 PM
Kevin Jones is a back who i think given some time to develop will be good. As of right now he's a young player on a god aweful team.
Kevin jones on the bears?

I think u mean Kevin Smith

yourfavestoner
10-07-2008, 07:00 PM
I just hope the Bears draft a back to handcuff to Forte. I'd hate to see him get LJ'd.

Breaker
10-07-2008, 07:04 PM
The '08 RB class is going to be everything that the 06 class was suppose to be.

Mr. Stiller
10-08-2008, 04:14 AM
Ya, he looked like a monster......for all of like 5 carries. Believe it or not, he didn't fumble in the game either! Sad, but i'd say that was an actual accomplishment.

Mendenhall isn't even worth mentioning at this point.

He's not relevant to discuss?

He was a top prospect coming out, and he was doing VERY nicely against the #1 Defense in the NFL before the injury. His vision, Hands, Speed, Agility are amazing. Given a year in this system I expect great things out of him.

I can't comprehend when you're talking about the long term look of a draft class why he's not "Worth Mentioning".

awfullyquiet
10-08-2008, 09:56 AM
I just hope the Bears draft a back to handcuff to Forte. I'd hate to see him get LJ'd.

This is where kevin jones comes into play.

Sniper
10-08-2008, 10:41 AM
Once Indianapolis realizes that Mike Hart is on their roster, this class will be epic. Hart for MVP!

Geo
10-08-2008, 10:49 AM
http://www2.indystar.com/autofocus/photos/standard/2008/08/125756.jpg

Sniper
10-08-2008, 10:53 AM
http://www2.indystar.com/autofocus/photos/standard/2008/08/125756.jpg

Joseph Addai: 3.6 ypc
Mike Hart: 7.0 ypc

Why isn't Hart playing????????????

Geo
10-08-2008, 11:15 AM
7 yards per carry, heh. Nice.

Hopefully once the Colts' offensive line starts to gel, all three Colts backs will get involved more. Dom Rhodes is signed through '08 though, so if he isn't re-signed, I fully expect Hart to be elevated to #2.

Honestly, I think Hart could be the starter. One day, we'll see.

I'm also psyched the Colts have Justin Forsett, even though he hasn't particularly wowed as a return man yet. TJ Rushing looked faster and more explosive. Hopefully Forsett doesn't get cut before he can show what he can do at RB.

Mr. Stiller
10-08-2008, 12:51 PM
7 yards per carry, heh. Nice.

Hopefully once the Colts' offensive line starts to gel, all three Colts backs will get involved more. Dom Rhodes is signed through '08 though, so if he isn't re-signed, I fully expect Hart to be elevated to #2.

Honestly, I think Hart could be the starter. One day, we'll see.

I'm also psyched the Colts have Justin Forsett, even though he hasn't particularly wowed as a return man yet. TJ Rushing looked faster and more explosive. Hopefully Forsett doesn't get cut before he can show what he can do at RB.

I thought I just read that Forsett was cut?

Odds are he'll hit their PS.

Geo
10-08-2008, 12:56 PM
Blast, my fears were realized. He didn't do much as a return man, although he didn't commit any boneheaded mistakes or errors, but I think he could bring a lot to the table as a RB. He had one really good punt return against the Vikings that was hurt by a bad penalty. Shame.

BlindSite
10-08-2008, 04:14 PM
This is where kevin jones comes into play.

He's on pace for 400 touches this year, including both catches and carries. That's a big ask for a rookie who's already got some miles on the odometer.

jth1331
10-08-2008, 04:59 PM
I think its fricken ridiculous people are suggesting thi after 5 games played in the regular season.

Gay Ork Wang
10-08-2008, 04:59 PM
I think its fricken ridiculous people are suggesting thi after 5 games played in the regular season.
why is this ridiculous?

MetSox17
10-08-2008, 05:11 PM
why is this ridiculous?

Because after five games people are speculating whether all these players will pan out for the rest of their careers, or keep up the pace they're at right now, a mere five weeks into their NFL jobs, and become the greatest draft class of running backs to ever come out of college. I think it's safe to say it's a little ridiculous.

Gay Ork Wang
10-08-2008, 05:13 PM
Because after five games people are speculating whether all these players will pan out for the rest of their careers, or keep up the pace they're at right now, a mere five weeks into their NFL jobs, and become the greatest draft class of running backs to ever come out of college. I think it's safe to say it's a little ridiculous.
yes but he is saying that it could and not that it will. He says that if everyone pans out it could be one of the best. He is not saying will

MetSox17
10-08-2008, 05:15 PM
yes but he is saying that it could and not that it will. He says that if everyone pans out it could be one of the best. He is not saying will

Exactly. It's a little silly if you think about it, that you can speculate about the greatness of something, after seeing such a small sample, when we've seen so many careers derailed by drugs, injuries and stupidity.

Gay Ork Wang
10-08-2008, 06:18 PM
Exactly. It's a little silly if you think about it, that you can speculate about the greatness of something, after seeing such a small sample, when we've seen so many careers derailed by drugs, injuries and stupidity.
yea, but what last class showed that much promise?

M.O.T.H.
10-08-2008, 07:47 PM
7 yards per carry...pfftt.

Felix is averaging 9.0, Oh yes. :D.