PDA

View Full Version : Gosselin: With the first pick, Lions should draft...Javon Ringer?

Matthew Jones
10-08-2008, 08:49 AM
The Lions would get no argument here if they used the first overall pick in the 2009 draft on Javon Ringer.

http://www.dallasnews.com/s/dws/nwsltr/sports/fromthe50/stories/100808dnspoinsidethenfl.eca56710.html

Normally Gosselin is one of the best analysts out there, but come on. That seems a little absurd to me. Thoughts?

georgiafan
10-08-2008, 08:58 AM
You have to like what Ringer's done on the year, but when you have as many holes as the lions. You just can't use that pick on a HB espically Ringer. If it was mid-late 1st it would be diffrent.

Flyboy
10-08-2008, 09:02 AM
Makes no sense especially when they just drafted Kevin Smith.

Yatta!
10-08-2008, 09:16 AM
I thought that as well when I read this. Ringer is having a great season but he's no 1st rounder.

keylime_5
10-08-2008, 09:18 AM
no, Javon is not that tough a runner and not a burner even though he is good and has good vision, burst, and agility. His tools put him in round 2 probably.

WMD
10-08-2008, 09:21 AM
Ringer? That's kinda.. weird. I'd take him with the first pick of the 2nd Round. But then again, the Titans will probably snatch him up before we get a chance.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-08-2008, 09:26 AM
Javon Ringer reminds me a smaller Michael Turner.

DeathbyStat
10-08-2008, 11:20 AM
This seems like something Matt Millen would agree with

P-L
10-08-2008, 11:40 AM
Seriously? Javon Ringer at #1 overall? You don't take a running back in the top ten unless they are very special. Javon Ringer isn't even close to a Darren McFadden, Adrian Peterson, Reggie Bush type prospect. In the last 27 years, only one running back was taken #1 overall, Ki-Jana Carter. When you have gaping holes at quarterback, offensive line, defensive line, and secondary you don't take a Javon Ringer at #1 overall.

P-L
10-08-2008, 11:42 AM
Btw, assuming Michigan State makes it to a bowl game, Ringer is on pace to have 460 carries. ANYONE with that high of a workload, is not worth a pick that high.

Paranoidmoonduck
10-08-2008, 11:45 AM
I like Ringer and all; I even consider him a very likely first rounder depending on who comes out. But I don't consider him a Brian Westbrook style talent, and that's probably what it would take for a guy like him to climb that high.

Moreover, I really liked Kevin Smith prior to the draft and I like what I've seen from him with the Lions. I just don't see them going for another runner. Fortify that offensive line and the running game will come.

CashmoneyDrew
10-08-2008, 12:09 PM
Ringer? That's kinda.. weird. I'd take him with the first pick of the 2nd Round. But then again, the Titans will probably snatch him up before we get a chance.

Bahahahahaha!!!

NIN1984
10-08-2008, 12:14 PM
I like Ringer a lot but #1 overall? that's a bold prediction.

STARHEATHER
10-08-2008, 12:15 PM
its pretty rdiculous. the idea that javon ringer is worthy of a high pick. i dont like him for the nfl. too small to be an effective inside runner in the nfl. not enough home run ability required in small backs. i dont think id pick him. he may be an average 2nd back if he can contribute on st. just not enough for the nfl level. shonn greene is far superior, and hes not even worthy of a rd 1

princefielder28
10-08-2008, 12:19 PM
Btw, assuming Michigan State makes it to a bowl game, Ringer is on pace to have 460 carries. ANYONE with that high of a workload, is not worth a pick that high.

even Cedric Benson would agree with that

Geo
10-08-2008, 01:20 PM
I found that surprising as well.

Both Ringer and James Davis will be great 2nd round picks imo, like Matt Forte and Ray Rice last year. Maybe one sneaks into the 1st with a great Combine, great interviews, and a team with a need ala Joseph Addai in '06.

ElectricEye
10-08-2008, 01:22 PM
I thought Matt Millen was fired?

Babylon
10-08-2008, 01:38 PM
I thought Matt Millen was fired?

Millen would have taken a WR:)

bored of education
10-08-2008, 02:04 PM
I don't pay attention to any mock he mocks or anything he says. I do like that list of top 100 thought that comes out right before the draft.

etk
10-11-2008, 11:49 PM
Javon Ringer reminds me a smaller Michael Turner.

Turner is explosive and fast. Ringer is a tough inside runner with good feet but he's by no means close to the big play threat of "Turner the Burner".

I think he's a 3rd round prospect. Kinda like Ray Rice but not as good.

Paranoidmoonduck
10-12-2008, 01:21 AM
Turner is explosive and fast. Ringer is a tough inside runner with good feet but he's by no means close to the big play threat of "Turner the Burner".

I really liked Michael Turner coming out of Northern Illinois, but the "burner" title was always silly. Turner will always be pushing 240 lbs. and running a 4.50. He's strong enough to turn short runs into longer gains, but he was never going to be a serious big play threat in the way we classify them.

LonghornsLegend
10-12-2008, 02:15 AM
Get used to this from Goss, he's going to produce some mocks that make NO sense early on, even some of his early mocks last year made no sense, I think I saw Jamaal Charles in the top 20 picks, Detroit taking Cromartie, his pre-draft mocks this early are crap and not worth looking at for an idea of where guys will fall.

Paranoidmoonduck
10-12-2008, 02:30 AM
Thing is, this isn't a mock. Gosselin has admitted that he produces some pretty wacky mocks to avoid people copying him when draft day comes along, but he seems to seriously consider Ringer as a truly elite prospect. He really has no reason to lie at this point in the process.

Solomon
10-12-2008, 12:17 PM
Could anyone see Orakpo going to the Lions with a top 3 pick or am I the only one?

Personally I think the Lions will go in at least three possible directions come draft day with their first rounder. IMO they will probably end up with a top 3 selection and will concentrate on using that on a franchise quarterback, a pass rushing end or an O Linemen.

Right now I really don't know if any of the available QBs are worthy of the a #1 selection. I'm not totally sold on Stafford, Tebow, Sanchez or Bradford as elite quarterbacks but someone may emerge in the eyes of pro scouts.

Considering that they used their first rounder on an OT this year I think it's a bit unlikely that they spend another 1st on a tackle but who knows they could do it especially if the value is right and with Oher, Smith and Monroe being available they might be the BPA.

In my eyes the top pass rushing ends right now are Orakpo, Greg Hardy and Brandon Graham (if Graham can show more consistancy) but I'm not sure that any of them are worthy of the #1 selection in 2009. They certainly aren't in the Mario Williams, Courtney Brown, Julius Peppers class but one of them may emerge as a Gaines Adams type of prospect.

It may be benificial for the Lions to trade down on draft day and address several holes but that's always easier said than done, especially with a top 5 selection.

asmitty45
10-12-2008, 05:38 PM
Being both a Lions and Spartan fan, i can tell you i don't think this can or should happen.

We just drafted Kevin Smith and Rudi Johnson is doing some decent things.

I wouldn't be surprised one bit to see Javon go in the first round, he's an athletic freak (benches 420 squats 640 and is jacked) has great hands out of the backfield, is a workhorse and will wow over any GM who sits in a room with him, he's a really great guy.

You can't argue with his numbers thus far either.

His size will probably keep him in the second round but he's a better runner and overall talent than Ray Rice who went in the early 50's last year and in a weak senior crop of RB's i can see him sneaking into the first.

asmitty45
10-12-2008, 05:41 PM
its pretty rdiculous. the idea that javon ringer is worthy of a high pick. i dont like him for the nfl. too small to be an effective inside runner in the nfl. not enough home run ability required in small backs. i dont think id pick him. he may be an average 2nd back if he can contribute on st. just not enough for the nfl level. shonn greene is far superior, and hes not even worthy of a rd 1

you don;t watch michigan state do you?

Ringer is as good an inside runner as there is in the country, 80% of his carries are between the tackles.

The only reason you pulled shonn greene out is b/c he played MSU last weekend and did pretty well.

Greene is a good running back but don;t tell me that Ringer isn't a good inside runner.

Babylon
10-12-2008, 05:44 PM
Top 3 pick there or higher. QB is such a major need it isnt even up for discussion. I would also want someone under center who is going to bring out the best in Calvin Johnson.

brat316
10-12-2008, 06:38 PM
To bad the Lions can't do what the Chiefs did and just pile up on picks and get a bunch of young guys, to rebuild around.

You could trade Roy for a 2nd. And maybe get and conditional pick.

Mr. Stiller
10-12-2008, 10:49 PM

Maurice Jones Drew agrees with you. If the 2006 draft was done over again, I'm betting MoJo would've been a 1st round pick.

Ringer is plenty Big to be a feature back and is fine for inside running. He has plenty of Compact power to go between the tackles.

That said, upgrading Jeff Backus and Jon Kitna/Dan Orlovsky is more important than replacing Rudi+Kevin Smith.

Sniper
10-12-2008, 10:51 PM
Ringer is awesome, and I'm one of the biggest anti-MSU guys out there.

BrownsTown
10-12-2008, 10:52 PM
Where would his legs go then? 3rd-4th?