PDA

View Full Version : Number 2 Free Agent CB?

thebow305
10-09-2008, 01:32 AM
It is looking like Nmandi Asomugha is either due for a HUGE payday, or a franchise tag. For the sake of the thread, he is obviously the top FA CB.

So who do you guys believe will be the number 2 availble free agent cornerback in next year's free agent class? There are some good names out there that may also have some big bucks coming to them very soon. The Two top names that come to my mind right now are Bryant McFadden (Steelers) and Chris Gamble (Panthers).

Vote and explain!

vidae
10-09-2008, 01:50 AM
I've always liked Chris Gamble and thought he was an underrated part of that Panthers D.

BlindSite
10-09-2008, 03:17 AM
Chris Gamble should be in the probowl based of his play so far this year. That being said, I expect him to be locked up long term.

The issue is we've got Gamble, Gross and Peppers a franchise DE, Tackle and CB. So the question is which two will we keep.

With only a second round pick, Gamble might just be the most expendable, considering we've got Ken Lucas who alternates depending on the week and the receiver between 1 and 2 corner and Richard Marshall who would realistically start on a lot of teams in the NFL at nickel.

I believe Fox will see Gross and peppers as more important than Gamble. It just depends which of the three wants to be a panther and who wants to travel.

tylerb929
10-09-2008, 09:27 AM
Kelvin Hayden (if he's not resigned)

ShutDwn
10-09-2008, 09:32 AM
Gamble has played pretty well, this year and last year for a lot of it. If he does get away, he is the second biggest name out there.

The Panthers might choose to promote Marshall and draft someone to replace Lucas soon. I wish we could keep Gamble and start Marshall but he might cost too much for us to also sign Gross and Peppers.

Smooth Criminal
10-09-2008, 09:46 AM
McFadden has looked great for the Steelers. I'm really hoping they try to lock him up long term but I'm expecting him to hit the market.

Geo
10-09-2008, 09:46 AM
I hope Hayden flies under the radar so the Colts can re-sign him to a reasonable deal.

I think the Colts will re-sign Hayden. Bill Polian will go for it imo, Hayden is the closest thing he's had to Antoine Winfield and he loves Winfield (but was too pricey to sign as a free agent).

thebow305
10-09-2008, 09:50 AM

After the Jason David debacle, I'm not sure anyone would want a Colts CB. I realize Hayden is very talented, but so was David.

Gay Ork Wang
10-09-2008, 09:52 AM
After the Jason David debacle, I'm not sure anyone would want a Colts CB. I realize Hayden is very talented, but so was David.
David is in a wrong system. He needs a Cover 2 team. Maybe the saints can trade him to the lions for a 3rd or something

Geo
10-09-2008, 09:54 AM
Ohh, that could help too.

Although Nick Harper has fared better in Tennessee, Colts' poachers that the Titans are. (Harper, David Thornton, Jake Scott, Ben Hartsock)

PACKmanN
10-09-2008, 10:36 AM
Chris Gamble should be in the probowl based of his play so far this year. That being said, I expect him to be locked up long term.

The issue is we've got Gamble, Gross and Peppers a franchise DE, Tackle and CB. So the question is which two will we keep.

With only a second round pick, Gamble might just be the most expendable, considering we've got Ken Lucas who alternates depending on the week and the receiver between 1 and 2 corner and Richard Marshall who would realistically start on a lot of teams in the NFL at nickel.

I believe Fox will see Gross and peppers as more important than Gamble. It just depends which of the three wants to be a panther and who wants to travel.
IMO, you guys let Gross go. There are a lot of OT depth compared to the other 2.

thebow305
10-09-2008, 10:39 AM
David is in a wrong system. He needs a Cover 2 team. Maybe the saints can trade him to the lions for a 3rd or something

Jason David for a 3rd? The Saints would be lucky to get a Snickers bar in return for him.

MetSox17
10-09-2008, 10:52 AM
Jason David for a 3rd? The Saints would be lucky to get a Snickers bar in return for him.

Exactly. They gave up a fourth rounder when he was a RFA, so why in the world would any team, even one as dumb as the Lions, give up a third rounder for him. A Snickers bar would be pushing it.

Mr. Stiller
10-09-2008, 10:57 AM
Exactly. They gave up a fourth rounder when he was a RFA, so why in the world would any team, even one as dumb as the Lions, give up a third rounder for him. A Snickers bar would be pushing it.

Yeah, Millens gone unless his replacement is a clone or worse.

I haven't seen Gamble or Hayden but.

I doubt Carolina lets Gamble walk, and I think Hayden may have the "Indy CB" Stigma.

McFadden should be playing Man as he's very physical, and great against the run. However he's doing solid in zone.

I just see him hitting the market and commanding a huge salary. Seeing what even Mediocre CB's and OG's are making on the open market, I can't see him re-signing cheap to stay in Pittsburgh.

Gay Ork Wang
10-09-2008, 11:17 AM
Sorry i meant 4th-5th Rounder

Saints-Tigers
10-09-2008, 11:20 AM
I would give someone a snicker bar to take Jason David off our hands, it's the only way we can stop the coaching staff from using him.

DeathbyStat
10-09-2008, 11:40 AM
I don't know about Gamble but Mcfadden has been really solid for the steelers this year

Shane P. Hallam
10-09-2008, 12:44 PM
Gamble has been INCREDIBLE this year. So, he is easily #2.

Damix
10-09-2008, 12:48 PM
Webster has been very good this year and he'll be FA at the end of this year I think.

Just don't team him with Tim Lewis

Don Vito
10-09-2008, 12:52 PM
I am a big Chris Gamble fan, I would love for the Pats to pick him up this offseason. I think he is the top guy behind Asomugha. I would be thrilled if we could get McFadden too, he could actually be a better fit for our defense.

SchizophrenicBatman
10-09-2008, 02:26 PM
Gamble will be tagged

He's going to get paid in 2010 for sure

Xonraider
10-09-2008, 02:33 PM
If Nnamdi leaves he's probably going to be payed 200 million dollars

Malaka
10-09-2008, 02:37 PM
Gamble seems to be stepping up his game for that contract, and unless Scrabble comes out I think he will be the best corner available if he is not tagged himself. Gamble has played like a top 5 cornerback this year, if he keeps it up he is the probowl for sure, McFadden has been solid though, but that is it solid, not a huge playmaker or nothing but a very solid corner which is not bad.

ChezPower4
10-09-2008, 02:52 PM

I don't think that you can put Hayden a head of Gamble. Don't get me wrong Hayden is a good player but I just don't think that he's as well rounded as gamble. I think that the best fit for Hayden would be to go to another team that that runs a base cover 2 scheme. the colts CBs that have gone to other teams and were asked to play a lot of man to man coverage have struggled a bit and i feel that Hayden would be no different. I'd imagine that their going to get similar deals so for the same amount of money I'd like the player who is more well rounded.

BuddyCHRIST
10-09-2008, 02:55 PM
McFadden! Good tackler, physical.

ShutDwn
10-09-2008, 02:56 PM
I am a big Chris Gamble fan, I would love for the Pats to pick him up this offseason. I think he is the top guy behind Asomugha. I would be thrilled if we could get McFadden too, he could actually be a better fit for our defense.

He would definitely fit the Asante Samuel role I think.

Geo
10-09-2008, 03:26 PM
LOL, I can't wait to see which team overpays for Chris Gamble.

ChezPower4
10-09-2008, 03:40 PM
LOL, I can't wait to see which team overpays for Chris Gamble.

Most free agents get overpaid

awfullyquiet
10-09-2008, 03:48 PM
Most free agents get overpaid

Doesn't make it any less funny.

PackerLegend
10-09-2008, 04:16 PM
Thank you Mike Sherman for taking this piece of ****

http://i.packers.com/pg/carroll_ahmad_2005/photo10.jpg

3 spots ahead of Chris Gamble

But you made it up with the great selection of another amazing corner Joey Thomas in round 3 that year.

tylerb929
10-09-2008, 05:34 PM
Well, I guess things aren't going good for Hayden. Word is his injury may be season ending, which would definately drop his stock in the free agent market. Really sucks that he got injured stepping on uneven ground/a hole at Reliant Stadium, if they couldn't fix their feild in time for the game it shouldn't have been played there, not only for the sake of the opposing team but for the home team aswell. Its just a dangerous situation overall.

Sniper
10-09-2008, 05:37 PM
If Nnamdi leaves he's probably going to be payed 200 million dollars

He'll never get payed 200 million. He might get paid, but never payed.

Chris Gamble to answer the thread question

Sniper
10-09-2008, 05:38 PM
He would definitely fit the Asante Samuel role I think.

A sweet shutdown corner? Because Samuel has been sick in Philly.

Geo
10-09-2008, 05:40 PM
Well, I guess things aren't going good for Hayden. Word is his injury may be season ending, which would definately drop his stock in the free agent market. Really sucks that he got injured stepping on uneven ground/a hole at Reliant Stadium, if they couldn't fix their feild in time for the game it shouldn't have been played there, not only for the sake of the opposing team but for the home team aswell. Its just a dangerous situation overall.
That would really suck. I was thinking it is a sprained knee, not worse.

The Colts already have two corners on IR in TJ Rushing and Michael Coe, yeesh.

ChezPower4
10-09-2008, 06:04 PM

But you made it up with the great selection of another amazing corner Joey Thomas in round 3 that year.

I was so mad when we took him. I too thought that Gamble was a much better player than caroll.

PACKmanN
10-09-2008, 06:10 PM

he was prepared to take Thomas in the second. LOL, when you are prepared to take someone in the second yet manages to fall it the third, you would think maybe he really not that good...

rconway
10-10-2008, 05:12 AM
I like to be fan of Chris Gamble because he was playing well and others also.
-----------
Ricky Conway

ShutDwn
10-10-2008, 12:44 PM
A sweet shutdown corner? Because Samuel has been sick in Philly.

Gamble has been very good this year, if he had an even better pass rush he would be shutting guys down everywhere.

Favre4
10-10-2008, 12:58 PM
so a little story for you all. draft day 2004 the packers have the 25th pick. chris gamble had been falling in most mocks but i thought there was no chance of him falling to 25. after several hours of waiting, he is still there when the packers pick. im sitting on the couch chillin thinking wow i cant believe we are actually going to get gamble. then the packers pick ahmad carroll who it turns out should have just stuck to track and tried to qualify for the olympics. now we are talking about gamble being one of the top FA cbs. makes me sad/mad.