PDA

View Full Version : Sanchez vs. Stafford

Malaka
10-09-2008, 03:58 PM
Okay, I am very curious to see what the board here at Draftcountdown thinks. Who is the better QB USC's Mark Sanchez or Georgia's Matthew Stafford, or other and explain (I do not think Bradford comes out, that is why he is not involved in the poll, I do not think Sanchez comes out either but I think he has a better chance of coming out)

I think Sanchez is better although I do not think he comes out this year in the draft, if he did he would be the first QB taken. He has the arm, the leadership abilities, and his accuracy is much better than Stafford's in my opinion. What do you all think?

wicket
10-09-2008, 04:11 PM
Are we talking college qb here of pro qb, if it is college it is sanchez for me for a pro qb i think Id give the nod to stafford

Babylon
10-09-2008, 04:12 PM
I think both will come out and both will be top 5 picks, i know that's a risky statement but with so many bottom teams needing QBs i think that will play out. Personally i like them both but to me Stafford has the ability to make some throws that Sanchez might not be able to make. I'll probably get flamed for this statement but i think Stafford has the best arm i've seen since John Elway, and let me say i dont just judge a great arm by someone that can throw the ball 70 yards.

Malaka
10-09-2008, 04:14 PM
Are we talking college qb here of pro qb, if it is college it is sanchez for me for a pro qb i think Id give the nod to stafford

I am talking pro wise/who would you rather draft first, that kind of thing.

BuddyCHRIST
10-09-2008, 04:29 PM
The more I watch Stafford the more impressed I am by him, his low completion percentage knock is simply an product of UGA's offense not being particularly passer friendly as he doesn't throw many short drag routes and bubble screens like so many teams do when QB's have high %'s. His arm is very very rare and he moves well in the pocket and seems very gutsy an a great leader to me. I think he is an elite prospect personally.

BBIB
10-09-2008, 05:53 PM
If I had to choose between these two I'd take Stafford.

Not sure I'd take a one year starter at QB in the 1st round.

ChezPower4
10-09-2008, 06:18 PM
I'd take Sanchez, he doesn't have the arm that Stafford has and Stafford goes deep alot and i jsut think that in the NFL that might lead to him turnning the ball over a lot.

SuperKevin
10-09-2008, 06:27 PM
I think Sanchez is a lot more polished and pro ready than Stafford is right now. Stafford to me seems very erratic and just throws the ball as hard as he can.

ElectricEye
10-09-2008, 09:26 PM
Sanchez, by a fairly wide margin. Neck and neck between him and Bradford with me. Stafford isn't even in the finishing picture at the moment, in my opinion.

SuperKevin
10-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Sanchez, by a fairly wide margin. Neck and neck between him and Bradford with me. Stafford isn't even in the finishing picture at the moment, in my opinion.

I think Sanchez is even more polished and pro ready than Bradford at this point as well. His experience playing under center at USC puts him ahead of Bradford who's playing in a lot of shotgun at OU.

draftguru151
10-09-2008, 10:13 PM
At this point I'd take Sanchez but I still think Stafford develops into the better prospect. Both should stay in school though.

ElectricEye
10-09-2008, 10:15 PM
I think Sanchez is even more polished and pro ready than Bradford at this point as well. His experience playing under center at USC puts him ahead of Bradford who's playing in a lot of shotgun at OU.

I actually agree to that end. I still have problems with Bradford's dropbacks. They look like he's been playing in the shotgun too long. I still really like Bradford's production and talent though. This weekend will probably go a long way into evaluating Bradford.

Babylon
10-09-2008, 11:16 PM
Interesting that Sanchez with 7 starts is more pro ready by some than Stafford with 26 starts.

SuperKevin
10-09-2008, 11:20 PM
Interesting that Sanchez with 7 starts is more pro ready by some than Stafford with 26 starts.

Stafford doesn't make pro reads in my opinion. He also hasn't learned how to put touch on his passes. He's essentially a JUGS machine back there with one speed setting. Stafford will be a solid QB but I think he's going to take more work with a QB coach than Sanchez will

draftguru151
10-09-2008, 11:30 PM
Stafford doesn't make pro reads in my opinion. He also hasn't learned how to put touch on his passes. He's essentially a JUGS machine back there with one speed setting. Stafford will be a solid QB but I think he's going to take more work with a QB coach than Sanchez will

He's shown the ability to take some off and drop it into tight spaces, he just doesn't do it consistently enough. He has tried to force some passes this year but he hasn't really made any terrible decisions and he's done a good job with pre snap reads and adjustments. He's made big strides since last season, he just isn't quite there yet.

Babylon
10-09-2008, 11:30 PM

I pretty much see all the SC games and limited Georgia games. I think Stafford can make all the throws, what hurts him is that O-line and young receivers but maybe i havent seen the games when he's played bad.

eaglesalltheway
10-10-2008, 07:12 AM
I voted Sanchez. I think he couled turn out to be a good prospect. Stafford could as well. But right now I think the main thing he has going for him is his arm strength, but like Superkevin said, he struggles reading defense and has difficulties with some shorter passes.

drowe
10-10-2008, 09:28 AM
1-are these comparisons way off base?
Stafford/Cutler-strong arm. played agains top competition. pro(ish) offense.
Sanchez/Leinart-only adequate arm, USC offense, maturity possibly in question.

2-seems to me, QBs would be smart to come out early at this point for several reasons.
A-as mentioned, this draft is gonna have a lot of teams looking for a QB at the top of the draft. who knows how it breaks down next year.
B-in the last several years, we've seen QBs stay for their senior season and be over analyzed for a full year and fall a lot. Matt Leinart, Brady Quinn and Brian Brohm were all projected to be top 10 picks if they came out after their junior year (Leinart #1, almost for sure), but after their senior year, they fell...a lot.
C-who knows what happens with the CBA, but there is a chance rookie contracts will be looked at since they're such and area of contention. the years of monster contracts for early draft picks could be winding down.

so, maybe all of the big 4 (Stafford, Bradford, Sanchez, Tebow) come out.

keylime_5
10-10-2008, 09:36 AM
Stafford. Situation almost reminds me of Cutler vs. Leinart kinda sorta. Stafford has excellent tools and he's really been getting better with each season which is a great sign.

Malaka
10-10-2008, 10:20 AM

2-seems to me, QBs would be smart to come out early at this point for several reasons.
A-as mentioned, this draft is gonna have a lot of teams looking for a QB at the top of the draft. who knows how it breaks down next year.
B-in the last several years, we've seen QBs stay for their senior season and be over analyzed for a full year and fall a lot. Matt Leinart, Brady Quinn and Brian Brohm were all projected to be top 10 picks if they came out after their junior year (Leinart #1, almost for sure), but after their senior year, they fell...a lot.
C-who knows what happens with the CBA, but there is a chance rookie contracts will be looked at since they're such and area of contention. the years of monster contracts for early draft picks could be winding down.

so, maybe all of the big 4 (Stafford, Bradford, Sanchez, Tebow) come out.

Sanchez's arm is so much stronger than Leinart's, and it isn't even close... Leinart was just a very accurate passer in an extremely good offense, Mark Sanchez has all the tools you look for except a lot of experience. Mark has an above average QB arm, very good accuracy, he has good height and poise in the pocket, and has shown some intangibles. He also plays in a pro offense, and his only true cons is his experience and maturity.

ElectricEye
10-10-2008, 10:20 AM

The Stafford/Cutler one is alright, but Sanchez/Leinart isn't that good. Leinart had an adequate arm. Sanchez's has a big arm. Not a Cutler/Stafford arm, but a big arm nonetheless.
Not sure what you mean by the USC offense, but that offense will get him more ready for the NFL than Vandy's/Georgia's.

vidae
10-10-2008, 11:09 AM
I voted Stafford.

Sanchez (like all USC quarterbacks) has a tremendous amount of talent around him. I like what Stafford can do with less talent around him. He still puts his team in a position to win.

10-10-2008, 11:16 AM
I voted Stafford.

Sanchez (like all USC quarterbacks) has a tremendous amount of talent around him. I like what Stafford can do with less talent around him. He still puts his team in a position to win.

Let's look at it from a talent perspective and forget for a moment all the other variables. Sanchez to this day is still the much more polished QB of the two and yet he did not have the luxury of starting since his freshman year.

Malaka
10-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Let's look at it from a talent perspective and forget for a moment all the other variables. Sanchez to this day is still the much more polished QB of the two and yet he did not have the luxury of starting since his freshman year.

This is why I think Sanchez will stay in school one more year, then he will be a can't miss QB prospect, and be far and away the best QB in next years draft (depending if Bradford comes out), right now he his neck and neck with Stafford for the top QB spot, Stafford will probably come out but I think Sanchez stays.

SuperKevin
10-10-2008, 11:22 AM
This is why I think Sanchez will stay in school one more year, then he will be a can't miss QB prospect, and be far and away the best QB in next years draft (depending if Bradford comes out), right now he his neck and neck with Stafford for the top QB spot, Stafford will probably come out but I think Sanchez stays.

I'm not to sure. I think being at USC he's going to get a lot of advice to leave while he can because of Matt Leinart. Plus I don't think USC keeps Mitch Mustain on the bench forever

Paranoidmoonduck
10-10-2008, 11:51 AM
Sanchez reminds me a bit of Trent Edwards, although his college career is already more successful due to the talent around him.

I like Sanchez the most right now if I'm just saying who I think would go first if they came out. He has the least ticks and the most prototypical everything. The Stafford/Cutler comparison is a great one, because I think Stafford looks just like Cutler did his junior year. Does that mean Stafford should stay another year? Not sure, but AJ Green helps that case quite a bit.

I'm undecided on Bradford so far.

keylime_5
10-10-2008, 11:54 AM
The Stafford/Cutler one is alright, but Sanchez/Leinart isn't that good. Leinart had an adequate arm. Sanchez's has a big arm. Not a Cutler/Stafford arm, but a big arm nonetheless.
Not sure what you mean by the USC offense, but that offense will get him more ready for the NFL than Vandy's/Georgia's.

I liken the situation to Leinart/Cutler myself not b/c Leinart and Sanchez are similiar but because Sanchez is in an offense that really makes him look better than he is at this point just like Leinart was. I like Sanchez's arm but I like Stafford's intangeables a little more and needless to say he has the best arm of all these QB prospects we're discussing.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
10-10-2008, 11:57 AM

I disagree with your last point. Well, on Vandy anyway. Vandy prepared Cutler to make quick reads and get the ball off with pressure in his face. USC prepared Leinart to stand in the pocket with no one around him and throw to receivers who were 10x more athletic than the DBs. Only one of those is an NFL situation.

I haven't been able to watch Georgia this year, but from what I hear, the OL is struggling a bit(in the run game but I'll also assume in the pass game). Probably not to Vandy levels, but it should prepare him well enough. Also I doubt USC's line is as good as when Leinart played, but yeah.

Babylon
10-10-2008, 12:11 PM
Sanchez reminds me a bit of Trent Edwards, although his college career is already more successful due to the talent around him.

I like Sanchez the most right now if I'm just saying who I think would go first if they came out. He has the least ticks and the most prototypical everything. The Stafford/Cutler comparison is a great one, because I think Stafford looks just like Cutler did his junior year. Does that mean Stafford should stay another year? Not sure, but AJ Green helps that case quite a bit.

I'm undecided on Bradford so far.

I sort of like the Edwards comparison but that would probably be the low end, i think Sanchez may have more upside, maybe Brady Quinn.

Stafford to Cutler is pretty easy right now and upside maybe you would mention guys with big arms like Brady and Elway.

Bradford is about where Troy Aikman was when he got to UCLA but has a ways to go on the deep ball to reach that potential. That would be the high end, the low end probably a Derek Anderson. Just my take.

Malaka
10-10-2008, 12:15 PM
I sort of like the Edwards comparison but that would probably be the low end, i think Sanchez may have more upside, maybe Brady Quinn.

Stafford to Cutler is pretty easy right now and upside maybe you would mention guys with big arms like Brady and Elway.

Bradford is about where Troy Aikman was when he got to UCLA but has a ways to go on the deep ball to reach that potential. That would be the high end, the low end probably a Derek Anderson. Just my take.

I cannot really see the Bradford-Anderson comparison, Anderson has a big arm with no accuracy, but Bradford has an above average arm with excellent accureacy.

ElectricEye
10-10-2008, 12:23 PM
I disagree with your last point. Well, on Vandy anyway. Vandy prepared Cutler to make quick reads and get the ball off with pressure in his face. USC prepared Leinart to stand in the pocket with no one around him and throw to receivers who were 10x more athletic than the DBs. Only one of those is an NFL situation.

That's more lack of talent though. If you put the same talent in both offenses, the USC quarterback would come out more pro-ready. It's kind of a moot point since that would never happen, but I think USC quarterbacks are asked to do more, seeing how the offense is more complex.

keylime_5
10-10-2008, 01:19 PM
I cannot really see the Bradford-Anderson comparison, Anderson has a big arm with no accuracy, but Bradford has an above average arm with excellent accureacy.

derek anderson and sam bradford are at opposite ends of the spectrum. nothing alike, kinda like Mike Vick and Tom Brady...well maybe not.

Malaka
10-10-2008, 01:34 PM
derek anderson and sam bradford are at opposite ends of the spectrum. nothing alike, kinda like Mike Vick and Tom Brady...well maybe not.

Yeah, that is why I could not see the comparison Babylon was making.

Babylon
10-10-2008, 01:41 PM
Yeah, that is why I could not see the comparison Babylon was making.

I've been trying to find a comparison for Bradford, he's sort of the tall upright, short arm type thrower. Will probably know more after the Texas game but right now sort of clueless (what's new).

Malaka
10-10-2008, 01:48 PM
I've been trying to find a comparison for Bradford, he's sort of the tall upright, short arm type thrower. Will probably know more after the Texas game but right now sort of clueless (what's new).

It is all good but I personally see Bradford as like a Kurt Warner/Marc Bulger type QB, very accurate, with average to above average arms.

Malaka
10-10-2008, 03:13 PM
Wow neck for neck, just like in my mind, 19-19.

eaglesalltheway
10-10-2008, 03:21 PM
I knew it would be close, I guess it comes down to what type of QB you want.

hockey619
10-10-2008, 04:24 PM
How about Philip Rivers - Sam Bradford comparison? Both have above average arms with excellent accuracy and somewhat unorthodox low release points. Both will have/had footwork issues droping back from center as they spent significant time in the shotgun. Just a thought

Just curious: what maturity issues are there with Sanchez? I always saw Stafford as the more immature of the two due to his poor shape (up to this year anyway, he looks like hes slimmed down), but someone said Sanchez had maturity concerns and im just curious as to why.

Malaka
10-10-2008, 04:28 PM
How about Philip Rivers - Sam Bradford comparison? Both have above average arms with excellent accuracy and somewhat unorthodox low release points. Both will have/had footwork issues droping back from center as they spent significant time in the shotgun. Just a thought

Just curious: what maturity issues are there with Sanchez? I always saw Stafford as the more immature of the two due to his poor shape (up to this year anyway, he looks like hes slimmed down), but someone said Sanchez had maturity concerns and im just curious as to why.

I like the Phillip Rivers comparison much better than my Marc Bulger comparison.

I don't think just goes Stafford was fat meant he was immature, but Sanchez has been a part of the pink thongs and all those stupid things some USC players have done, he doesn't really have character concerns, just a little immature, Rey Maualuga if anything has the maturity issues, but I think they have grown out of it.

10-10-2008, 05:49 PM
Am I the only one who sees a Stafford-Boller comparison ?

It looks pretty apparent to me now that I've actually thought about it.

Malaka
10-10-2008, 05:59 PM
Am I the only one who sees a Stafford-Boller comparison ?

It looks pretty apparent to me now that I've actually thought about it.

I guess his basement could be Kyle Boller and his ceiling would be Jay Cutler (Cutler is still improving so it is a hard comparison to make, but they are similar

Babylon
10-10-2008, 06:02 PM

Sanchez was arrested in 06 for some on campus sexual assault stuff, later got off but had to take some rape awareness type class and also was bagged for using a fake ID. Dont want to downplay anything but it's not the first time an athlete has been in that situation. I doubt it changes his draft status but it's there.

Malaka
10-10-2008, 06:15 PM
Sanchez was arrested in 06 for some on campus sexual assault stuff, later got off but had to take some rape awareness type class and also was bagged for using a fake ID. Dont want to downplay anything but it's not the first time an athlete has been in that situation. I doubt it changes his draft status but it's there.

Really? I didn't know that I thought Maualuga was the one with legal issues, I did not know Sanchez's legal problems were that big.

hobbes2053
10-10-2008, 08:54 PM
Stafford in a heartbeat. Sanchez has played in only a handful of games in the Pac10 (weak sauce), while Stafford has started since he was a frosh in the SEC. Stafford also has far less talent around him and still manages to led his team to W's. The main reason his numbers have been down this year IMO, is the weak offensive line UGA has.

ElectricEye
10-10-2008, 11:23 PM
Bradford to Phillip Rivers is a really good comparison. Best one I've heard thus far. I like Bradford's arm a bit more than Rivers', but yeah, really good comp. Same playing style, not the same delivery, but it works.