PDA

View Full Version : Andre Smith - Alabama

Bengals78
10-09-2008, 08:53 PM
After watching just about every Bama game this year I think he could play OT at the next level and play it very well. A lot of people I know say he is a guard but he just mauls people left and right. Its not like he lacks pass block or run blocking he does it all and just runs over defenders. If I were a college DE he would most likely be one of if not the last OT I would want to see right now.
So, is he an OT or OG at the next level in your opinion?

ChezPower4
10-09-2008, 08:57 PM
I think that he'll be a tackle. He's a huge man and he can move his feet as well

ElectricEye
10-09-2008, 09:24 PM
Until he proves he can't play and excel at the position, no one should project him anywhere besides left tackle.

Bengals78
10-09-2008, 09:29 PM
A lot of people say guard because of his weight. And I just dont think that will weigh much into where he plays.

(yes the pun was intended)

AkiliSmith
10-09-2008, 09:42 PM
Undrafted guard. I have watched 3 tapes on him and he does nothing but flatten the opposing lineman. I bet he can't even run under a 5.0 forty LOL.

Ten characters

Bengals78
10-09-2008, 09:44 PM
I discount anything he says.

AkiliSmith
10-09-2008, 09:49 PM
I discount anything he says.
Yeah I made that quote up to make fun of him

keylime_5
10-09-2008, 10:00 PM
his pass pro is stinky at times, I think he's a guard until he really improves there. He might get by at right tackle since the tight end would cover him up some and the backs might give him a helper, but right now he is a pure run blocker and mauling guy who can overpower you. I'm really not sold on him going against those big time edge rushers in the NFL. He is athletic enough for a big guy to be a left tackle in the NFL but he could be quicker on edge than he is.

In other words he has the tools to be a left tackle but his strength is that he is an absolute monster run blocker and that would be better utilisied inside or at RT so you could get a pure left tackle on your line as well to compliment him.

Malaka
10-09-2008, 10:02 PM
I voted tackle, he has been dominating so far in the college season, and I think if his weight and pass protection are really that much of a problem he will switch to RT which is still a tackle, so he WILL be a tackle in the pros.

draftguru151
10-09-2008, 10:09 PM

Wow that was the first post I saw in the thread and I thought it was real. :eek:

Malaka
10-09-2008, 10:11 PM

lol I just realized it couldn't be him, there was correct spelling, capital letters and punctuation marks.

SuperKevin
10-09-2008, 10:20 PM
I think he's a left tackle in the pros. He is really reminding me of Bryant McKinnie.

Number 10
10-09-2008, 10:33 PM
Left tackle, no doubt. Let's not act like he is small here.

If he was 6'1, it would be one thing. But does one inch make this situation a debate? Not a chance.

Yatta!
10-10-2008, 05:39 AM
I think he would be a beast of a guard but it would waste is talent to an extent. With his footwork he should be a franchise left tackle.

eaglesalltheway
10-10-2008, 06:23 AM
He could play either, but voting guard suggests that he can't be a tackle, and I think he could be a tackle, so i voted tackle. He is what 6'4 or 6'5, and massive, lets not think that height is a huge issue here. He is one or two inches shorter, at the most, than Monroe and Oher. But for all we know he has longer arms than most people his size. That being said, it doesn't look like it. His style though, negates his "height issue" in that he is a monster and uses his hands very well.

princefielder28
10-10-2008, 09:27 AM
His feet and mobility are great enough to be a good tackle at the next level.

wicket
10-10-2008, 09:34 AM
I think the issue is more LT or RT, where i'd still go with LT cause he seems really convincing thusfar this season

Mr. Stiller
10-10-2008, 10:05 AM
Left Tackle... I think His athleticism might get him by, but if he grinds out his technique and gets in shape he could be elite.

If he stays pretty much as is, he'd be a monster Guard or above average OT.

Geo
10-10-2008, 10:11 AM
Very similar size to fellow SEC tackle Jonas Jennings, no?

Jennings proved he could play tackle in the league, although his quality of play has dipped in the last few years.

illmatic74
10-10-2008, 10:17 AM
I think he can be an allright tackle but I think he can be an all-pro guard.

eaglesalltheway
10-10-2008, 10:51 AM
There have been a lot of comparisons to Shawn Andrews, and though he is a G right now, there are whispers of us moving him out to RT.

Mr.Regular
10-10-2008, 10:52 AM
He has the feet and quickness... and the production... to play LT in the NFL. He of course could play either, but as someone said voting for OG suggests he cant cut it as a LT and I think he will.

10-10-2008, 10:54 AM
There have been a lot of comparisons to Shawn Andrews, and though he is a G right now, there are whispers of us moving him out to RT.

That's ultimately who I see him projecting to in the pros. Can he play tackle? Sure. However I think he can be a dominant interior lineman at the next level.

Malaka
10-10-2008, 10:57 AM
That's ultimately who I see him projecting to in the pros. Can he play tackle? Sure. However I think he can be a dominant interior lineman at the next level.

Exactly I can see him as a Shawn Andrews 2.0, drafted as a tackle, did decently but dominates as a guard in the pros, but I think if anything he would play right tackle instead of guard, I think his strength and weight would definitely be great for RT. He can be a good LT, but a much better RT.

eaglesalltheway
10-10-2008, 10:58 AM

That is exactly how I feel with Andrews. He is arguably the best guard in the game when he is healthy, but we don't know what we have with him as a Tackle. ITs one of those situations where the saying "If it aint broke, don't fix it" really fits great. But with the depth we have at Fuard, if it would benefit the overall play of the O-line I would definitely be for it.

eaglesalltheway
10-10-2008, 11:00 AM
Exactly I can see him as a Shawn Andrews 2.0, drafted as a tackle, did decently but dominates as a guard in the pros, but I think if anything he would play right tackle instead of guard, I think his strength and weight would definitely be great for RT. He can be a good LT, but a much better RT.

People have been suggesting Shawn move to LT, and I am against that in a big way. Sure he has great lateral motion and quickness for a G, but I don't think it is quite enough to go against the speed rushers that most LT in the NFL face. RT would be the only other place besdies RG that I want to see Shawn.

Malaka
10-10-2008, 11:03 AM
People have been suggesting Shawn move to LT, and I am against that in a big way. Sure he has great lateral motion and quickness for a G, but I don't think it is quite enough to go against the speed rushers that most LT in the NFL face. RT would be the only other place besdies RG that I want to see Shawn.

This is exactly what I think of Andre Smith, we definitely see this the same way. However, I would not be surprised if Andre Smith gets drafted as an LT in the top ten and is called a bust because he moves over to Guard or RT and dominates, sort of like Robert Gallery who is a decent player, but Andre Smith will be way better and be a dominant guard, I still see stupid people calling him a bust though.

eaglesalltheway
10-10-2008, 11:09 AM
This is exactly what I think of Andre Smith, we definitely see this the same way. However, I would not be surprised if Andre Smith gets drafted as an LT in the top ten and is called a bust because he moves over to Guard or RT and dominates, sort of like Robert Gallery who is a decent player, but Andre Smith will be way better and be a dominant guard, I still see stupid people calling him a bust though.

The way I see Gallery is he is a bust as a LT, but he is doing decent now that he is out of LT. He is a semi-bust in my eyes, kind of like Leonard Davis.

Edit: Cowboy fans, I do not think that Leonard Davis is a bad player, but what I am trying to say is he busted as a Tackle, but is now doing much better as a guard.

wicket
10-10-2008, 01:50 PM
so the clue of the day is: draft tackles, if they work out, great if they dont you have got yourself a guard ;)

eaglesalltheway
10-10-2008, 01:54 PM
so the clue of the day is: draft tackles, if they work out, great if they dont you have got yourself a guard ;)

I know your kidding, but it doesn't work like that.

Number 10
10-10-2008, 02:05 PM
I compare Duke Robinson to Shawn andrews more than Smith.

eaglesalltheway
10-10-2008, 02:08 PM

Could Duke Robinson (successfully) play OT in the NFL though? That is a more beneficial question.

eaglesalltheway
10-10-2008, 02:09 PM
I know your kidding, but it doesn't work like that.

To elaborate, some tackles just don't have the strength or the demanor to play inside. I could go on and on about similarities, but for the sake of everyone's sanity, I will just say that O-linemen are usually not interchangeable.

rockio42
10-10-2008, 02:19 PM
To elaborate, some tackles just don't have the strength or the demanor to play inside. I could go on and on about similarities, but for the sake of everyone's sanity, I will just say that O-linemen are usually not interchangeable.

plus you can't play a guy who is 6'5 and up in at Gaurd

eaglesalltheway
10-10-2008, 02:28 PM
plus you can't play a guy who is 6'5 and up in at Gaurd

Not necessarily true. Our LG Todd Herremans, is a natural Tackle. He has the size and body type. I don't know his exact height, but I'd bet he is at least 6'4, and he has been a good LG for us. It really depends on the individual. I'll check Herremans numbers.

eaglesalltheway
10-10-2008, 02:30 PM
Herremans is 6'6 by the way.

rockio42
10-10-2008, 05:18 PM

Very good point, but then again he is being looked at as potentially playing tackle

Mr. Stiller
10-10-2008, 05:45 PM

Duke Robinson isn't nearly as dominant as his size would indicate.

Overrated, but thus far the top of a bad class. To bad Jeremy Perry is injured.

Mr. Stiller
10-10-2008, 05:46 PM

Andrew Whitworth, Cincy's LG is 6'7.

there's about 10 or so 6'6+ Guards in the NFL.

If you play with a low base (Knee bender), doesn't matter if you're 6'8.