PDA

View Full Version : Cullen Harper Benched

Scott Wright
10-10-2008, 05:32 PM
In case you missed it Clemson has benched Cullen Harper.

He has been a totally different player this year and it's pretty clear to me he isn't healthy.

Malaka
10-10-2008, 05:35 PM
Wow, and at one point I had him in the first round of one of my mock drafts. Clemson has really been a disappointment and he has been one of the reasons why. He used to be the #1 senior QB prospect in my eyes, now I guess it is Rhett Bomar.

BuddyCHRIST
10-10-2008, 05:36 PM
Pretty random decision because if you watch Clemson it's clearly not Harper's fault. The O-Line is terrible which causes them to have no running game and his recievers have the dropsies, he certainly hasn't looked that great but Willy Korn won't do any better. The only thing I could guess is Harper's injury is bothering him and coaches think Korn's athleticism can give them some kind of spark, Clemson certainly needs one.

Cigaro
10-10-2008, 07:54 PM
For those who don't know, it's not so much that the coaches believe Harper is the main reason for the team's downfall, although he certainly hasn't played well, it's that the coaches want to save their own asses.

Clemson fans have been calling for Willy Korn, the current backup and a former local highschool standout, to start ever since he arrived on campus last year. He had been tabbed as becoming possibly the best Clemson quarterback ever, all before he took a snap at practice. So now that Cullen Harper has a nagging shoulder injury that is obviously affecting his play, even if he's getting no help from receivers, runners, or blockers, Tommy Bowden wants to get the 'savior' on the field in an effort to save his job.

If he doesn't, Clemson fans will just say, 'He won't play Korn, fire him now!'. It's the oh so familiar example of a coach who has nothing more to lose, and his job to gain. He's going to do whatever it takes to try and keep his job, and to Clemson fans, that's putting Willy Korn on the field, even if he doesn't fair better than Harper.

KCJ58
10-10-2008, 07:56 PM
Willy Krack Korn and I don't care

Babylon
10-10-2008, 08:03 PM
Wow, and at one point I had him in the first round of one of my mock drafts. Clemson has really been a disappointment and he has been one of the reasons why. He used to be the #1 senior QB prospect in my eyes, now I guess it is Rhett Bomar.

It's always a good day when you get a Rhett Bomar referance.

10-10-2008, 08:07 PM
In case you missed it Clemson has benched Cullen Harper.

He has been a totally different player this year and it's pretty clear to me he isn't healthy.

It's time to drop him in your QB rankings. :)

Malaka
10-10-2008, 08:16 PM
It's always a good day when you get a Rhett Bomar referance.

lol why is that?

ChezPower4
10-10-2008, 08:19 PM
I've watched him play 2 times this year including the game last night and I have not been impressed at. If this guy is the top of his class.... wow

10-10-2008, 08:53 PM
lol why is that?

It's as rare as (fill in blank).

STARHEATHER
10-10-2008, 10:02 PM
i dont think his healt his the problem. i think he was never good is the problem

adschofield
10-10-2008, 10:02 PM
i dont think his healt his the problem. i think he was never good is the problem

I think your use of grammar, or lack there of, is a problem

Cigaro
10-10-2008, 10:08 PM

Your horrible scouting and analysis continues. He was never great, but last year he was certainly good.

STARHEATHER
10-10-2008, 10:14 PM
he was never an nfl qb. maybe clipboard holder. i really dont know how there could still be believers. i dont know why there ever were. but to still defend him now.

ElectricEye
10-10-2008, 11:20 PM
Not a bad decision. Korn's athleticism should mask some of the flaws that their offense is having right now. He's pretty fast, fast enough to make use of a bit of option here and there which could really help them out.
Harper is done. I kinda liked him last year, but at this point I doubt he's drafted fist day and we probably won't hear about him after a year or two.

MarioPalmer
10-11-2008, 12:49 AM
For those who don't know, it's not so much that the coaches believe Harper is the main reason for the team's downfall, although he certainly hasn't played well, it's that the coaches want to save their own asses.

Clemson fans have been calling for Willy Korn, the current backup and a former local highschool standout, to start ever since he arrived on campus last year. He had been tabbed as becoming possibly the best Clemson quarterback ever, all before he took a snap at practice. So now that Cullen Harper has a nagging shoulder injury that is obviously affecting his play, even if he's getting no help from receivers, runners, or blockers, Tommy Bowden wants to get the 'savior' on the field in an effort to save his job.

If he doesn't, Clemson fans will just say, 'He won't play Korn, fire him now!'. It's the oh so familiar example of a coach who has nothing more to lose, and his job to gain. He's going to do whatever it takes to try and keep his job, and to Clemson fans, that's putting Willy Korn on the field, even if he doesn't fair better than Harper.

Cigaro, excellent post, I see it the same way. Korn was hailed as the man and your right, the fans and alum have considered Korn as the greatest Clemson QB to ever be recruited. I don't know if he is the guy or if he isn't, but putting him in this situation is just pitiful.

Spiller and Davis are looking into the future and not worrying about whats going on around them, they are only concerned about where they will land and how healthy they both will be come draft day. The offensive line looks the part but doesn't play the part. The defense is completely secondary-less and LB-less. Sapp has been nothing short of horribly over rated after taking over for Gaines Adams. I loved this kid. I loved his confidence and I absolutely loved his athleticism. But Sapp could be one of the biggest head scratchers ever. All this athleticism all this speed and agility all this physical gifts and he is the equivelent of Vernon Davis, all the physical tools to be dominant, but to damn dumb to make it all click. He could be the next Ware, Wimbley, Porter, etc. But he isn't smart enough to do it and it's showing when he is now keyed on. There was one play during the Wake game, that there was a fake pitch to the RB and then the QB ran with it. Sapp had at least a 8 or 9 yard loss and also had an oppertunity to really set the tone with a huge defensive play, but he completely gets faked out and the QB gets I think 2 or 3 yards on the play. The point is he was faked out by a non NFL QB and a non NFL RB by a non NFL coaching staff. He whipped the LT on that play, I mean completely whippied him, but he couldn't finish because he couldn't diagnose.

Bowers right now is the only superstar in the making there right now. He is a bonified top 5 pick when he comes out. He, right now, is a man amongst boys as a true freshman. He is reminding me of a young Mario and J Pep. Bowers is sublime to watch. Athletic, smart, explosive and incrediably freakish and he could probably end up entering the NFL at 6'6 285lbs. and be that prototype DE that so many teams die for. Korn does have him, to bad he is a DE and not a TE.

Scott Wright
10-11-2008, 01:38 AM
It's time to drop him in your QB rankings. :)

It's going to happen, and Bomar might be moving up to #1.

I have not liked what I've seen from Harper, Cantwell OR Painter this year.

I still hold out hope for Harper though. Like I mentioned he's been playing with a shoulder injury that has sapped his arm strength. His o-line hasn't been helping much either.

regoob2
10-11-2008, 10:25 AM
Right now I doubt there is a first day senior QB prospect.

MarioPalmer
10-11-2008, 10:27 AM
The senior QB class is not looking great. I'm still holding out hope for Curtis Painter. He has the physical tools to be drafted in the 2nd as of now, and you never know, he may have a great Senio Bowl and move up poeples draft boards. It will interesting to see if Romar really is the best senior QB prospect come April.

scottyboy
10-11-2008, 11:32 AM
It's going to happen, and Bomar might be moving up to #1.

I have not liked what I've seen from Harper, Cantwell OR Painter this year.

I still hold out hope for Harper though. Like I mentioned he's been playing with a shoulder injury that has sapped his arm strength. His o-line hasn't been helping much either.

Mike Teel!... Mike Teel... :(

dammit

well at least Mike Teel single handedly increased my chances of getting into Rutgers by about 50%

steelernation77
10-11-2008, 11:56 AM
Chase Daniel will be drafted on the first day.

There was once a 6 foot nothing QB who tore it up in a spread offense at Purdue, he turned out ok.

You just can't watch Chase Daniel and not be impressed.

Malaka
10-11-2008, 12:00 PM
Chase Daniel will be drafted on the first day.

There was once a 6 foot nothing QB who tore it up in a spread offense at Purdue, he turned out ok.

You just can't watch Chase Daniel and not be impressed.

Well Chase Daniel's best NFL comparison is Drew Brees, and he is no slouch over at Missouri, and he will be drafted on the first day I agree.

I guess right now it is between Rhett and Chase for the #1 senior QB. Neither will be be drafted in round 1 but both have a very good possibility of being drafted in round 2.

hockey619
10-11-2008, 12:11 PM
Eh, I dont think the Brees-Daniel comparison is all that accurate, decent and arguable yes, but there are better ones. I'd say Daniel has a more similar skillset to Jeff Garcia then Brees but thats just how I see it. I dont mean that as a knock on Daniel either, cause Im a fan of him and I think that Garcia was a pretty good quarterback and can still produce.

Harper still has potential, but he really has looked terrible this year. You just have to wonder how much that injury is affecting his play. I've never actually seen Painter play, but I've seen Cantwell play and I thought he was absolutely awful and wouldn't take him as a develepmental prospect as I think there would have to be a better developmental guy available then him.

Paranoidmoonduck
10-11-2008, 12:19 PM
Apparently Harper has taken all the snaps for Clemson today.

marks01234
10-11-2008, 01:03 PM
Cigaro, excellent post, I see it the same way. Korn was hailed as the man and your right, the fans and alum have considered Korn as the greatest Clemson QB to ever be recruited. I don't know if he is the guy or if he isn't, but putting him in this situation is just pitiful.

Spiller and Davis are looking into the future and not worrying about whats going on around them, they are only concerned about where they will land and how healthy they both will be come draft day. The offensive line looks the part but doesn't play the part. The defense is completely secondary-less and LB-less. Sapp has been nothing short of horribly over rated after taking over for Gaines Adams. I loved this kid. I loved his confidence and I absolutely loved his athleticism. But Sapp could be one of the biggest head scratchers ever. All this athleticism all this speed and agility all this physical gifts and he is the equivelent of Vernon Davis, all the physical tools to be dominant, but to damn dumb to make it all click. He could be the next Ware, Wimbley, Porter, etc. But he isn't smart enough to do it and it's showing when he is now keyed on. There was one play during the Wake game, that there was a fake pitch to the RB and then the QB ran with it. Sapp had at least a 8 or 9 yard loss and also had an oppertunity to really set the tone with a huge defensive play, but he completely gets faked out and the QB gets I think 2 or 3 yards on the play. The point is he was faked out by a non NFL QB and a non NFL RB by a non NFL coaching staff. He whipped the LT on that play, I mean completely whippied him, but he couldn't finish because he couldn't diagnose.

Bowers right now is the only superstar in the making there right now. He is a bonified top 5 pick when he comes out. He, right now, is a man amongst boys as a true freshman. He is reminding me of a young Mario and J Pep. Bowers is sublime to watch. Athletic, smart, explosive and incrediably freakish and he could probably end up entering the NFL at 6'6 285lbs. and be that prototype DE that so many teams die for. Korn does have him, to bad he is a DE and not a TE.

Good post.

I'd still take a look at Harper in the midrounds.

Race for the Heisman
10-11-2008, 06:43 PM
I agree. Harper still has tools and has shown potential. If a team takes him late he might have a Derek Anderson-type rise after a few years in the league and become a solid starter.

Smokey Joe
10-11-2008, 08:01 PM
Bomar has been my no. 1 senior QB for a couple weeks now. And even though Harper is getting benched, I'd take him over any of the other seniors QB not named Rhett.

Malaka
10-11-2008, 08:30 PM
Bomar has been my no. 1 senior QB for a couple weeks now. And even though Harper is getting benched, I'd take him over any of the other seniors QB not named Rhett.

I would take him over any other senior except Rhett and Chase Daniel, those two are 1a. and 1b. on my senior QB rankings. Rhett has the size and everything you look for in a QB, while Chase has the resemblance to Drew Brees, we will see how things turn out later in the year, as for right now I'll put Chase #1 and Rhett #2. I might be underrating Chase Holbrook here, I might take him ahead of Cullen too.

SuperKevin
10-11-2008, 08:52 PM
Thank goodness. With his bum shoulder opposing defenses knew he wasn't going deep so they were playing close to the line to stop the running game. Hopefully now they can add some balance to the offense and catch teams off guard.

STARHEATHER
10-11-2008, 11:00 PM
youd really draft the guy who got benched for inefficiency and believe hell be able to run an nfl offense

STARHEATHER
10-11-2008, 11:00 PM
whoever up my rep please cease and decist

SuperKevin
10-11-2008, 11:25 PM
youd really draft the guy who got benched for inefficiency and believe hell be able to run an nfl offense

Kyle Orton was benched during his senior season and he's doing a pretty decent job running the bears offense right now

vatech=accdomination
10-11-2008, 11:26 PM
if you wathed him last year, he was garbage, most of the records he broke were against terrible teams, or where he had to throw 65 passesd against VT because he had them in such a hole

STARHEATHER
10-12-2008, 12:48 AM
the next kyle orton. im finding it impossible to contain the excitement im feeling

Smokey Joe
10-12-2008, 08:36 AM
Kyle Orton was benched during his senior season and he's doing a pretty decent job running the bears offense right now
Wasn't Orton injured his senior season though? IIRC, he had a great start to the season but the injury bug got him.

SuperKevin
10-12-2008, 09:21 AM
Wasn't Orton injured his senior season though? IIRC, he had a great start to the season but the injury bug got him.

During last weeks Purdue game they were talking about how pulling Painter for ineffectiveness is similiar to how they benched Kyle Orton during his senior year for being ineffective. Maybe he was ineffective due to injury but then again, so is Cullen Harper right now.

Race for the Heisman
10-12-2008, 09:25 AM

That's a little different than Harper's situation, but not totally removed from it. Obviously he started poorly (as did Clemson as a whole), but whether or not he could have gotten over the hump if he had not gotten hurt or whether this slump would have continued cannot really be said for certain. I stand by what I said earlier.

STARHEATHER
10-12-2008, 06:53 PM
still believing. i assume youve watched hi m throw. not good

Cigaro
10-12-2008, 08:08 PM

He was benched because he has a bum shoulder that is obviously affecting his throwing ability, and his backup has local hype similar to what Tim Tebow had coming into his freshman season.

It would depend on what offense my team ran, but if I was a GM looking for a quarterback, I'd take him in one of the later rounds, and then let him sit until I knew that the shoulder is either fully healed or never going to heal.

MidwayMonster31
10-12-2008, 08:32 PM
His combine and medical exams will decide where he goes in the draft.
If he does well in the workouts and his shoulder is fine, then teams will decide that the shoulder injury screwed up his season this year and he should go higher. If not, he will plummet down boards.