PDA

View Full Version : John Madden to skip this weekend’s game

Splat
10-13-2008, 06:04 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-madden-break&prov=ap&type=lgns

NEW YORK (AP)—John Madden will miss calling an NFL game this weekend after working 476 in a row.

The 72-year-old Sunday Night Football analyst, who travels by bus because of a fear of flying, will take a break to spend time with his family instead of making three straight cross country trips, NBC said Monday.

Madden went from Jacksonville, Fla., to San Diego last week; he would have had to return to Florida for this Sunday’s game at Tampa Bay.

There’s no Sunday Night Football game the following weekend, so Madden would have then headed home to the Bay Area.

NBC Sports chairman Dick Ebersol first approached Madden in the spring with the suggestion of skipping the trip.

Cris Collinsworth, normally a part of NBC’s studio show, will fill in for Madden.

HawkeyeFan
10-13-2008, 07:31 PM
Respectable.

But Collinsworth? Ugh, if his live commentary is the same as his Madden 09 commentary, expect to hear alot of "head in the gutter" comments.

Twiddler
10-13-2008, 08:00 PM
Respectable.

But Collinsworth? Ugh, if his live commentary is the same as his Madden 09 commentary, expect to hear alot of "head in the gutter" comments.

He's filling in for John Madden though. Love the guy but he isn't useful as a commentator at this point in his life.

Babylon
10-13-2008, 08:14 PM
If Al Michaels skips it then we might have something.

MetSox17
10-13-2008, 08:30 PM
John Madden still calls games, only because he's John Madden. If it were up to me, he would have been out of the booth five years ago.

Jvig43
10-13-2008, 11:14 PM
Thank god, love Madden, worst game announcer ive ever heard.....ever. I think he just tries to hard.

brat316
10-13-2008, 11:15 PM
If Al Michaels skips it then we might have something.

Are you kidding, if you think Michaels is bad who would you rather have calling the games? Tony Cornhiser

TitleTown088
10-13-2008, 11:17 PM
Stop being a sally and get on a plane Madden.

Strongside
10-13-2008, 11:24 PM
Screw you guys I like Madden

Bruce Banner
10-13-2008, 11:29 PM
Somewhere in the world, a baby fawn escapes the jaws of a rabid wolf.

Babylon
10-13-2008, 11:31 PM
Are you kidding, if you think Michaels is bad who would you rather have calling the games? Tony Cornhiser

Michaels lost me with his political comments supporting Bush back when he was running in 2004.

Shane P. Hallam
10-13-2008, 11:34 PM
I like Madden too. He is crazy, but he knows his stuff, even if he is not good at articulating it.

Splat
10-14-2008, 08:20 AM
Michaels lost me with his political comments supporting Bush back when he was running in 2004.

What does that have to do with football Michaels is great at what he does.

703SKINS202
10-14-2008, 08:55 AM
Gush Johnson where are you? The greatest announcer of our time. I know he works for CBS but get this guy primetime!

MetSox17
10-14-2008, 09:08 AM
I like Madden too. He is crazy, but he knows his stuff, even if he is not good at articulating it.

Isn't that the most important aspect of his job?

drowe
10-14-2008, 09:09 AM
well, i'm one of the last on earth that kinda like madden...and it's sad to see an impressive streak like this end.

ya know what he should do. just chill out and watch the game on tv. i'm sure nbc could rig it up like he's in a booth at the stadium, but really, if announcers weren't really at the game and just calling it based on watching it on tv, would anybody really notice?

illmatic74
10-14-2008, 10:11 AM
well, i'm one of the last on earth that kinda like madden...and it's sad to see an impressive streak like this end.

ya know what he should do. just chill out and watch the game on tv. i'm sure nbc could rig it up like he's in a booth at the stadium, but really, if announcers weren't really at the game and just calling it based on watching it on tv, would anybody really notice?Team USA Basketball's exhibition games the commentators weren't even their and I didn't realize it until they said it

dabears10
10-14-2008, 11:37 AM
You guys miss out on the reason Madden is so successful and why he is so popular. All of the people on this board generally have a larger football IQ then the general public. He talks to the average guy and is able to entertain him. That is why he is still doing games.

dabears10
10-14-2008, 11:38 AM

ya know what he should do. just chill out and watch the game on tv. i'm sure nbc could rig it up like he's in a booth at the stadium, but really, if announcers weren't really at the game and just calling it based on watching it on tv, would anybody really notice?

Yeah they did this with the Euro 08. ESPN was too cheap to send them to Europe so the guys just did it from Connecticut.

Mr. Stiller
10-14-2008, 11:42 AM
Now if only we could get Kornheiser on a permanent vacation.

awfullyquiet
10-14-2008, 12:44 PM

It'd be like. like... like if Brett Favre, he's so. so so good, just such an outstanding quarterback, ended up in a pool of devil rays and brett favre, even though he's makes such outstanding plays, they got him right in the uh. heart. his streak would be over, and that's remarkable, a remarkable streak.

Thanks madden for all of the memories.

illmatic74
10-15-2008, 10:19 PM
Troy Polamulu seems to be his new love affair.

FlyingElvis
10-16-2008, 01:04 PM
You gotta love Madden, but there's no way anyone in their right mind can miss the fact that he's been off his game for years now. His only consistent trait over the last few years is consistently being wrong. Wrong player, wrong play, missed calls . . . he just seems lost in the booth. Too much going on for him to keep up with the game and keep his babble going. If he resolved himself to speak half as many words each game he would still be able to keep up and come across as the great announcer he once was.

But Collinsworth??? Great - at least there was a time that I liked Madden. I can't say the same for Collinsworth. bah. That guy just sucks, and never even spent enough time being right about anything to warrant being the replacement for Madden.

ChezPower4
10-16-2008, 05:46 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-madden-break&prov=ap&type=lgns

NEW YORK (AP)—John Madden will miss calling an NFL game this weekend after working 476 in a row.

The 72-year-old Sunday Night Football analyst, who travels by bus because of a fear of flying, will take a break to spend time with his family instead of making three straight cross country trips, NBC said Monday.

Madden went from Jacksonville, Fla., to San Diego last week; he would have had to return to Florida for this Sunday’s game at Tampa Bay.

There’s no Sunday Night Football game the following weekend, so Madden would have then headed home to the Bay Area.

NBC Sports chairman Dick Ebersol first approached Madden in the spring with the suggestion of skipping the trip.

Cris Collinsworth, normally a part of NBC’s studio show, will fill in for Madden.

This would make me not want to watch the game.... nevermind I'll just mute the game

Gay Ork Wang
10-16-2008, 06:14 PM
Stop being a sally and get on a plane Madden.
The plane could crash under his weight, i understand the man. I mean look at him

Geo
10-16-2008, 06:49 PM
This would make me not want to watch the game.... nevermind I'll just mute the game
The game makes me not want to watch the game, lol. I don't blame Madden, it's not worth the trip.

Hawks @ Bucs is like Pats @ Chargers last week except without the level of interest. The Bucs will win handedly.

Too bad there's no flex scheduling this week, or it wasn't a better Tampa game scheduled for SNF.