BlindSite
10-13-2008, 11:47 PM
Drew Brees
Portis
Turner
Fitzgerald

Bruce Banner
10-13-2008, 11:50 PM
I want to say Clinton Portis. The man is a boss.

I kept rewinding my DVR to watch that textbook block he had against Stl, thing of beauty.

iBoldin
10-14-2008, 12:01 AM
I definitely think it's a three headed race right now. Fitz has played unbelievable in heat of Q's injury. Drew Brees has had one of the best seasons at this point then he has had ever before, and Clinton Portis is playing like a man possessed. Right now I'd say the nod goes to Brees, Portis second and Fitz trailing in third.

Sniper
10-14-2008, 12:02 AM
1. Charles Woodson
2. LaMarr Woodley
3. Mike Hart
4. Steve Breaston
5. Steve Hutchinson

WMD
10-14-2008, 12:05 AM
1. Charles Woodson
2. LaMarr Woodley
3. Mike Hart
4. Steve Breaston
5. Steve Hutchinson

Braylon Edwards?

Sniper
10-14-2008, 12:05 AM
Braylon Edwards?

Holy **** I am ********. I must fix this egregious mistake.

Flyboy
10-14-2008, 12:06 AM
The #9 guy down in New Orleans.

Sniper
10-14-2008, 12:06 AM
1. Charles Woodson
2. LaMarr Woodley
3. Mike Hart
4. Steve Breaston
5. Steve Hutchinson

6. Braylon Edwards
7. Mario Manningham
8. Tom Brady
9. Jake Long
10. Leon Hall

Settling for just my top 10.

MarioPalmer
10-14-2008, 12:10 AM
Offensive MVP: Drew Brees

Defensive MVP: Mario Williams (I think he will be on the voters minds the same way Jason Taylor was when he played for the pathetic 2006 Dolphins)

Shane P. Hallam
10-14-2008, 12:17 AM
I'd say Clinton Portis right now.

TACKLE
MVP: Drew Brees

DPOY: Albert Haynesworth. The most dominant player in the NFL period. He had 5 scaks in his first for games which is un heard of for a NT. Also, he is the focal point of the best defense and what is right now the best team in the NFL.

holt_bruce81
Ronnie Brown, dudes a pimp in the Wildcat formation.

CC.SD
10-14-2008, 01:07 AM
Drew Brees has to be the favorite right now. Go Drew!

Haynesworth is close though. Such beastliness...

d34ng3l021
10-14-2008, 01:15 AM
1. Drew Brees.
2. Clinton Portis

3. Larry Fizgerald

4. Michael Turner
5. Albert Haynesworth

yourfavestoner
10-14-2008, 01:41 AM
Might Albert Haynesworth be the first defensive player since LT in 86 to win it?

Bruce Banner
10-14-2008, 01:43 AM
Might Albert Haynesworth be the first defensive player since LT in 86 to win it?

I don't think so. He might deserve it by the end of the year but the voters suck too much.

DragonFireKai
10-14-2008, 01:56 AM

Not a prayer.

eaglesalltheway
10-14-2008, 06:55 AM
I don't think so. He might deserve it by the end of the year but the voters suck too much.

Honestly, that is exactly how it should be worded. The voters suck.

10-14-2008, 08:06 AM

More valuable than Brees ? I think not. Let the debate continue.

wicket
10-14-2008, 08:10 AM
Drew Brees ought to win it hands down imo but i am biased. Without brees I'm thinking either portis or ronnie brown

Splat
10-14-2008, 08:18 AM
Drew Brees he has lost players left and right and just keeps rolling he has my FF team rolling to.:)

bantx
10-14-2008, 08:19 AM
Drew Brees
Clinton Portis
Phillip Rivers :]

SeanTaylorRIP
10-14-2008, 08:23 AM
Portis: Leads the league in rushing. 6 rushing TD's is second in the NFL. 4.7 ypc. The only back in the league to average at least 100 ypg. He averages 107 ypg. Crushing run blocker and good receiver. Has run over the Cowboys and #1 rush defense Eagles in their homes.

703SKINS202
10-14-2008, 08:49 AM
Brees or Portis no question. Portis not only has the stats but hes the best pass protection/bocking back in the league, the dude is an all out gamer. Doesn't have the same style as he did in Denver where he put up bigger numbers but now he is a hybrid speed power back that rolls over offenses.

MetSox17
10-14-2008, 09:13 AM
Yeah, count another vote for Brees/Portis. It could go either way and the voters wouldn't be wrong. Whoever gets closest to their division title/playoffs will win.

AntoinCD
10-14-2008, 10:13 AM
I think its going to depend on record. If the Redskins make the playoffs it'll be Portis, if the Saints do it'll be Brees. If both teams get playoffs Brees will probably win it because its a pass orientated league. They're pretty much they only ones in the discussion unless Peyton leads the Colts undefeated the rest of the way.
As of now I would give it to Portis-carried the Skins against quality teams even the Rams;)

CC.SD
10-14-2008, 02:51 PM
Portis the MVP...you know he'd bust out a new character. What a wacky guy.

AntoinCD
10-14-2008, 02:55 PM
Portis the MVP...you know he'd bust out a new character. What a wacky guy.

Their locker room must be crazy with him and Cooley

d34ng3l021
10-14-2008, 03:06 PM
Once the Chargers get hot (which they will. They always start out seasons slow), I think Rivers could be a contender down the line. He is having an amazing year and is really carrying the Chargers as a team.

Sportsfan486
10-14-2008, 03:54 PM
Once the Chargers get hot (which they will. They always start out seasons slow), I think Rivers could be a contender down the line. He is having an amazing year and is really carrying the Chargers as a team.

No voter will ever, EVER, vote for any member of the Chargers other than LT.. and for good reason! You can't be the league MVP with LT on your team and playing, it's impossible.

I tend to disagree with Brees (I could even make an arguement that, eww, Reggie Bush is the MVP of that team right now) and would definitely lean towards Portis winning the award at this point although it SHOULD go to Aaron Rodgers.

Maybe I'm being homerish but my reasoning is this.. the Packers have no run game and their defense is getting shredded. Aaron Rodgers has been lights out despite a shoulder injury, however, AND if he goes down we have two horrible, HORRIBLE rookies behind him. We drop at least twice as many games without him starting.

At least the Saints could throw screens to Reggie Bush and win a few games with Brunell. The Redskins could surely win on defense and with Jason Campbell. The Packers offense would be beyond awful with Flynn or Brohm out there. We'd lose every game.

iowatreat54
10-14-2008, 03:56 PM
sorry, MVP doesn't go to the player doing good with the worst backups behind him

Portis ftw

Mr.Regular
10-14-2008, 04:03 PM
Right now Id say Brees. Portis could be in the conversation as well, same with Haynesworth. But it is way too early to tell. Wasnt it a couple years back at around this time of the season, where everyone was declaring Jake Plummer the front runner....yikes

KCJ58
10-14-2008, 04:10 PM
after week 6:

MVP: Drew Brees/QB (New Orleans)
OPOY: Phillip Rivers/QB (San Diego)
DPOY: Mario Williams/DE (Houston)
OROY: DeSean Jackson/WR (Phildelphia)
DROY: Chris Horton/S (Wahington)

MidwayMonster31
10-14-2008, 04:43 PM
Brees and Portis are good choices for MVP. Kurt Warner is a dark horse. He has as many touchdown passes as Brees, but his numbers are a little lower. If he can get the Cardinals to an NFC West title for the first time ever, then he should be considered.

AntoinCD
10-14-2008, 04:45 PM
Brees and Portis are good choices for MVP. Kurt Warner is a dark horse. He has as many touchdown passes as Brees, but his numbers are a little lower. If he can get the Cardinals to an NFC West title for the first time ever, then he should be considered.

Warner has played really well this season but I think the Jets game will severely cost him

d34ng3l021
10-14-2008, 04:49 PM
after week 6:

MVP: Drew Brees/QB (New Orleans)
OPOY: Phillip Rivers/QB (San Diego)
DPOY: Mario Williams/DE (Houston)
OROY: DeSean Jackson/WR (Phildelphia)
DROY: Chris Horton/S (Wahington)

I might be a homer, but I would have to think that Matt Ryan is the leading candidate for OROTY honors as of now. He is 15th in the league in yards, 17th in passer rating, and is only behind Cutler, Eli Manning, and Brees in sacks taken by a starting QB (7). And he is one of, if not the biggest, for the Falcons 4-2 record.

703SKINS202
10-14-2008, 04:53 PM
I might be a homer, but I would have to think that Matt Ryan is the leading candidate for OROTY honors as of now. He is 15th in the league in yards, 17th in passer rating, and is only behind Cutler, Eli Manning, and Brees in sacks taken by a starting QB (7). And he is one of, if not the biggest, for the Falcons 4-2 record.

Yea I would definitely agree with that. Although it is hard to come in and be a successful rookie WR Royal is putting up similar numbers. Ryan has come in and started at the toughest position in the NFL and has done a great job at managing the offense and doing enough to get them to 4-2.

AntoinCD
10-14-2008, 04:54 PM
MVP-Drew Brees QB
OPOY-Clinton Portis RB
DPOY-Albert Haynesworth DT
OROY-Matt Ryan QB
DROY-Aqib Talib(just a hunch) CB

SeanTaylorRIP
10-14-2008, 04:55 PM

No you are right. Especially with the media he is the hands on favorite for OROY. In terms of OROY voting Desean Jackson would be behind Matt Ryan, Matt Forte, Chris Johnson, and maybe even Steve Slaton right now.

d34ng3l021
10-14-2008, 05:03 PM
No you are right. Especially with the media he is the hands on favorite for OROY. In terms of OROY voting Desean Jackson would be behind Matt Ryan, Matt Forte, Chris Johnson, and maybe even Steve Slaton right now.

Yeah. Damn those rookie RBs who are able to come in and make an instant impact right away.

I wonder how Royal would be without Marshall. I feel as if he has the makings of a legit number 1 WR. He should do well as a compliment though, especially if the Broncos are going to start airing it out.

Gay Ork Wang
10-14-2008, 05:06 PM
Yeah. Damn those rookie RBs who are able to come in and make an instant impact right away.

I wonder how Royal would be without Marshall. I feel as if he has the makings of a legit number 1 WR. He should do well as a compliment though, especially if the Broncos are going to start airing it out.
well he was pretty dominant in week 1

gsorace
10-14-2008, 05:13 PM
As of now it's Brees

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
10-14-2008, 05:19 PM
Philip Rivers. The Chargers are a sleeping giant and when they wake up, they're gonna make some noise, finish with 11 or 12 wins and the division. Denver will hopefully get a wildcard, we're cooling down, I'm predicting 10 wins from us. But yes, Rivers is the only Charger not asleep right now, and when everyone else wakes up I expect his torrid pace to continue. I would like to see more yardage from him, but yes, he will win MVP.

d34ng3l021
10-14-2008, 05:29 PM
Philip Rivers. The Chargers are a sleeping giant and when they wake up, they're gonna make some noise, finish with 11 or 12 wins and the division. Denver will hopefully get a wildcard, we're cooling down, I'm predicting 10 wins from us. But yes, Rivers is the only Charger not asleep right now, and when everyone else wakes up I expect his torrid pace to continue. I would like to see more yardage from him, but yes, he will win MVP.

Best part about it is, he leads the league (yes, even over Brees) in YPA with 9.0.

And Royal was dominant against Hall who gave a 5-10 yard cushion each time. I want to see him against a smarter DC.

ChezPower4
10-14-2008, 05:59 PM
I can't really think of anyone who I'd give MVP too. but I think that for DPOY i think that Charles Woodson is making a really good case.

E-Thuggin
10-14-2008, 06:37 PM
Greg Jennings and Charles Woodson.

Smooth Criminal
10-14-2008, 06:40 PM
I like Portis right now. He is having a hell of a season.

E-Thuggin
10-14-2008, 06:41 PM
I'm just being a homer and stirring the pot here, but why Fitz over Jennings at this point? I get the argument that Fitz could easily surpass Jennings statistically by the end of the year but right now, if it's a WR, it has to be Jennings doesn't it? He's the clear-cut leader statistically and his impact on the field is as big as any WR right now.

regoob2
10-14-2008, 06:45 PM
1. Drew Brees.
2. Clinton Portis

3. Larry Fizgerald

4. Michael Turner
5. Albert Haynesworth
Your not serious are you?

regoob2
10-14-2008, 06:47 PM
I think Matt Ryan will win it hands down.

Bengals1690
10-14-2008, 06:48 PM
Brett Favre.

Yea, i said it

CC.SD
10-14-2008, 09:55 PM
My vote is still Brees, but sooner or later Rivers is going to force himself into this conversation if he keeps it up.

Homer? Hey, right now there's only one man acting as the main catalyst for the number 1 scoring offense in the league. And putting up fantastic numbers.

\/ \/ \/

d34ng3l021
10-14-2008, 10:15 PM
Your not serious are you?

Whats wrong?

saintsfan912
10-14-2008, 10:28 PM
Whats wrong?

I was thinking the same thing. I didn't see anything wrong with that list except including Michael Turner.

Vox Populi
10-14-2008, 10:32 PM
I think that it could legitimately go to Albert Haynesworth at this point in the season and as long as the Titans defense and team keeps its pace and he keeps eating up opposing offenses.

I know by the end of the year an offensive player will have distanced themselves from the rest, but so far I would have to throw a bone to the big dog, Fat Al.

On offense I'd give it to Brees at this point, but his team isn't exactly standing on top of the league all alone like Haynesworth's.

d34ng3l021
10-14-2008, 10:34 PM
I was thinking the same thing. I didn't see anything wrong with that list except including Michael Turner.

Well he is one of the biggest reasons for the Falcons and Matt Ryan's success and the 4-2 record. Being 2nd in the league rushing isnt a terrible thing either. And plus, he is way below Brees, Fitz, and Portis.

saintsfan912
10-15-2008, 08:09 AM
Yea I know Turner is up there in rushing but against who?

Detroit - 220 yards
Tampa Bay - 42 yards
Kansas City - 104 yards
Carolina - 56 yards
Green Bay - 121 yards
Chicago - 54 yards
With 3 receptions all year for 11 yards.

He has failed miserably against good defenses. That may be because of the Oline but the numbers are low nonetheless. He may be the MVP of the Falcons but that's not enough to put him into consideration for the NFL MVP.

FlyingElvis
10-15-2008, 09:19 AM
^ Being the league rushing leader on a team that nobody expected to even sniff .500 - now firmly planted atop the division isn't enough to put him into consideration for MVP???

That's a pretty foolish statement.

More valuable than Brees ? I think not. Let the debate continue.

Yeah, count another vote for Brees/Portis. It could go either way and the voters wouldn't be wrong. Whoever gets closest to their division title/playoffs will win.

Record will matter, which is why I pick Turner right now. If the Falcons continue their winning ways we may see MVP go to Turner and will definitely see OROY go to Ryan.

I'd say deangelo's list was pretty solid. I'd put Portis ahead of Brees, and even though I like Turner above both I know (as someone else mentioned) that the voters suck, therefore it wouldn't happen that way.

Saints-Tigers
10-15-2008, 09:29 AM

Agreed.

Right now, I have Haynesworth 1, Drew Brees 2, and then everyone else.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-15-2008, 09:32 AM
How could anyone put Turner above Portis? Portis is a superior receiver and pass blocker to Turner. Portis has more yards, same number of TD's. Turner averages 99.5 ypg, Portis averages 107 ypg. They both average 4.7 ypc despite Portis having the most carries in the league and almost running exclusively between the tackles. The #1 thing you have to consider is competition. As the stats show above, Turner has had "Jamal Lewis" type games against awful teams and been held under 60 yards against good run defenses. Portis ran for 145 yards against the #1 run defense in the NFL, and that was in Philly. He also ran for 121 in Dallas.

Saints-Tigers
10-15-2008, 09:39 AM
Sort of a down year for RB's to me, but Portis has been the most consistent. Still, I don't see a legit argument as to why any of the backs are more valuable than Brees or Haynesworth.

Gay Ork Wang
10-15-2008, 10:15 AM
^ Being the league rushing leader on a team that nobody expected to even sniff .500 - now firmly planted atop the division isn't enough to put him into consideration for MVP???

That's a pretty foolish statement.

Record will matter, which is why I pick Turner right now. If the Falcons continue their winning ways we may see MVP go to Turner and will definitely see OROY go to Ryan.

I'd say deangelo's list was pretty solid. I'd put Portis ahead of Brees, and even though I like Turner above both I know (as someone else mentioned) that the voters suck, therefore it wouldn't happen that way.
No way, id rather hand the MVP to Matt Ryan on that team than Turner, Dont get me wrong, Turner is a great running back, just not MVP material

d34ng3l021
10-15-2008, 10:15 AM
I think the league is going to see a lot more down years from RBs. RBCs and passing attacks is where its at.

FlyingElvis
10-15-2008, 10:32 AM
How could anyone put Turner above Portis? Portis is a superior receiver and pass blocker to Turner. Portis has more yards, same number of TD's. Turner averages 99.5 ypg, Portis averages 107 ypg. They both average 4.7 ypc despite Portis having the most carries in the league and almost running exclusively between the tackles. The #1 thing you have to consider is competition. As the stats show above, Turner has had "Jamal Lewis" type games against awful teams and been held under 60 yards against good run defenses. Portis ran for 145 yards against the #1 run defense in the NFL, and that was in Philly. He also ran for 121 in Dallas.

Mostly because Washington was expected to be good while Atlanta was expected to suck. And not just suck, really suck - like 2 or 3 win season suck. Turner's big start made an immediate impact on that team's confidence (imo) and that's part of being MVP.

Honestly, if I were to vote right now I would probably go Portis since he overtook the rushing leader spot and has been more consistent. But I'd be tempted to take the underdog/dark horse pick in Turner, and think it may happen going forward b/c this Falcons team is getting better each week.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-15-2008, 10:38 AM
Id' just like to point out that every major media outlet picked Washington to finish last in the division and for 7 or 8 wins to be the max ceiling.

703SKINS202
10-15-2008, 10:40 AM
Mostly because Washington was expected to be good while Atlanta was expected to suck. And not just suck, really suck - like 2 or 3 win season suck. Turner's big start made an immediate impact on that team's confidence (imo) and that's part of being MVP.

Honestly, if I were to vote right now I would probably go Portis since he overtook the rushing leader spot and has been more consistent. But I'd be tempted to take the underdog/dark horse pick in Turner, and think it may happen going forward b/c this Falcons team is getting better each week.

Since when was Washington supposed to be good? In the division with dallas and the defending super bowl champs. We hired Zorn as qb coach to be our oc then after SNyder couldn't find anyone else he just gave him the HC job. People were mocking us and honestly I was one of them. Also Campbell's 7th system in 8 years thats always fun and not to mention the death of our best defensive player and one of the best safeties in the game. I don't think anyone expected much from this team. Luckily, Zorn has come in and used our talent to the fullest unlike Gibbs and has the players believeing in his system. Turner is good but is a little inconsistent and hasn't shined against the good run d's. Matt Ryan is the MVP of that team, and should win OROY if he continues.

703SKINS202
10-15-2008, 10:41 AM
I think the league is going to see a lot more down years from RBs. RBCs and passing attacks is where its at.

What are RBCs? Running Back Combos?

rockio42
10-15-2008, 10:45 AM
What are RBCs? Running Back Combos?

Runningback by Commitee

FlyingElvis
10-15-2008, 12:42 PM
I figured Washington would be a good team. ;)

Even with the major media outlets picking Washington to be last in the division, there's a difference between being last in the best division at .500 and being last in an ok division with only 2 or 3 wins.

They weren't being picked to win 8 b/c they were expected to suck. The Skins were expected to have too much competition to be any better than 8-8.

Just admit that Turner should be considered. That's all I ask. lol

FloridaSkinzFan
10-15-2008, 12:51 PM
Clinton Portis.

The man is not only just leading the league in rushing yards, he is a beast in pass protection and straight up lays out defensive ends and linebackers

Menardo75
10-15-2008, 01:40 PM
Sort of a down year for RB's to me, but Portis has been the most consistent. Still, I don't see a legit argument as to why any of the backs are more valuable than Brees or Haynesworth.

Down year? How can it be a down year when Frank the Tank is in the league :)

BlindSite
10-15-2008, 04:54 PM
In any event Brees gets his toughest test so far this weekend when he faces the NFC's number 1 pass defense and number 1 defense overall (3rd in the NFL).

SaintsMan
10-15-2008, 06:50 PM
In any event Brees gets his toughest test so far this weekend when he faces the NFC's number 1 pass defense and number 1 defense overall (3rd in the NFL).

If Brees can throw for 300yds and a couple TD's againts Carolina, I think that would separate him from the pack a little bit more.

AntoinCD
10-16-2008, 09:44 AM
If Brees can throw for 300yds and a couple TD's againts Carolina, I think that would separate him from the pack a little bit more.

And he should have Colston back. Im expecting a big day for Reggie Bush as well. Something like 60-70 rush yards and 6-7 rec for about 80 yards and a TD.

CC.SD
10-16-2008, 03:26 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?page=hotread5/MVP

ESPN debates Brees vs. Rivers for MVP. That QB controversy we had a while back has really, really, REALLY turned into a no-lose situation.

BlindSite
10-16-2008, 05:07 PM
Its gotta be one of those two right now, and Rivers is playing amazing football, but its gotta be Brees if its one or the other.

bantx
10-16-2008, 05:10 PM
Even as a chargers fan i have to give it to Brees for now, hes playing crazy good right now.

CC.SD
10-16-2008, 06:19 PM
I'm still on the Brees train as well, but it is very close for me at the moment.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-20-2008, 08:56 AM
If Brees and Rivers were leading Portis in MVP voting prior to this week, they definitely trail him going into this coming up week. Rivers played decently 22/29 for 208 yards 2 TD's, 1 INT, but they lost 24-13 to the Bills. Drew Brees was 21-39 for 231 yards, 0 TD's, 1 INT in a 30-7 loss to the Panthers. I understand though that both QB's were missing weapons. Portis singe handedly carried his team to victory with 27 carries, 175 yards and a TD. The fumble hurt, but if it weren't for him they wouldn't have put up any points on the board. Just comparing the RB's no one really compares to CP right now:

Clinton Portis: 818 rushing yards, 5.0 ypc, 7 TD's, 117 yards per game
Adrian Peterson: 684 yards rushing, 4.5 ypc, 5 TD's, 97.7 yards per game
Michael Turner(Has had a bye): 597 yards, 4.7 ypc, 6 TD's, 99.5 yards per game
Marion Barber: 540 yards, 4.2 ypc, 5 TD's, 77 yards per game.

Considering Portis leads the league in rush attempts his yards per carry is ridiculous especially compared to guys like Barber, Warrick Dunn, Jones-Drew, who share carries. For as many rushes Portis gets, even 3.8-4 ypc would be decent. But 5, that's crazy.

shane_man
10-20-2008, 09:09 AM
At this point even I have to agree about Portis. He's been beastly this year(like usual.) but I still don't see him making it through 16 games. There's something about him that makes an injury inevitable.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-20-2008, 09:12 AM
At this point even I have to agree about Portis. He's been beastly this year(like usual.) but I still don't see him making it through 16 games. There's something about him that makes an injury inevitable.

True he runs more physically than almost any other back in the league, has huge workload, and unloads in pass protection, but he played just like this last season and played a full season. Two years before that he played a full season. 2006 was really the only season when he missed significant time. Other than 2006, he's never missed more than 3 games in a single season. **Knock on wood**

21ST
10-20-2008, 10:48 AM
and we still get to play the lions

703SKINS202
10-20-2008, 10:53 AM
Portis is definitely the front runner right now.

throwback54milkman
10-20-2008, 11:35 AM
I think if the Cardinals were like the Dallas or New York Cardinals, than Fitzy would get more consideration for the MVP. How about Albert Haynseworth?

tjsunstein
10-20-2008, 12:43 PM
Im going to throw out some names for food for thought.

MVP: Clinton Portis
DMVP: Charles Woodson. I know a case can be made for Haynesworth and this might be my homer talking since Ive watched every Packers game this year but Woodson has come up with too many big plays in the absence of Al Harris to not be atleast considered.
OROY: Chris Johnson/Matt Ryan. How can it not be one of these guys? The impact that each of these rookies has had on the turnaround on their now respective teams is undeniable. Johnson is 5th in rushing as of this moment and Ryan has last year's doormat atop the NFC South. Mind you, this can and probably will change at the end of the year but thus far its one of these guys with no clear cut favorite.
DROY: Chris Horton until someone seperates themself.

ShutDwn
10-20-2008, 01:07 PM
I like Big Ben, he has taken beatings and just keeps coming back, without Parker too.

dc22
10-20-2008, 02:04 PM
What do you guys think of aaron rodgers (if he keeps at this pace)? currently leading the leaque in total td's..

Menardo75
10-20-2008, 02:05 PM
The nod after this week goes to Portis.

B-Dawk
10-20-2008, 02:31 PM
portis is just a man, the presence that he brings to the table when he lines up is crazy.

Thunder&Lightning
10-20-2008, 03:59 PM
Matt Ryan.

MetSox17
10-20-2008, 04:07 PM
It should be Portis without question. Brees went into Carolina and have a big goose egg.

703SKINS202
10-20-2008, 04:15 PM
It should be Portis without question. Brees went into Carolina and have a big goose egg.

Hahaha that was good.

tjsunstein
10-20-2008, 04:29 PM
What do you guys think of aaron rodgers (if he keeps at this pace)? currently leading the leaque in total td's..

I honestly dont think its out of the question but being that he doesnt light up any categories week in and week out doesnt make him a bandwagon favorite.

Vox Populi
10-20-2008, 04:37 PM
Can't we just give it to the collective play of the Titans and make it easier... :(

I'm going with Portis now though. Without Bush, Brees' game is a lot easier to defend IMO and I think people will realize that Bush meant a lot more to that offense than originally believed.

bored of education
10-20-2008, 04:41 PM
vote: Portis

iowatreat54
10-20-2008, 04:47 PM

Kyle Orton deserves it before Aaron Rodgers...outside TD's they are nearly identical, and Orton has done it with worse WRs

either way, neither should be considered right now IMO seeing as they are behind Brees, Rivers, Portis, maybe even Turner and Cutler

tjsunstein
10-20-2008, 04:56 PM
Kyle Orton deserves it before Aaron Rodgers...outside TD's they are nearly identical, and Orton has done it with worse WRs

either way, neither should be considered right now IMO seeing as they are behind Brees, Rivers, Portis, maybe even Turner and Cutler

I give the nod to Rodgers over Orton easily. I think you have to take into account his leadership this year and as much as I hate to use it in favor of Rodgers, the whole Brett Favre saga that led up to the season. He's handled it all well and performed at a high level. But unless Rodgers puts on the jets, no Favre reference intended, and gets to the top of any passing categories, I dont think he has a legitimate shot. Only because he doesnt have flashy numbers. But watching him play, he makes very few mistakes and shows great poise. Remember hes led this team without a running game to this point, once Grant gets going its going to be interesting to see what number Rodgers puts up. Ill give him an outside, very outside shot at MVP.

BamaFalcon59
10-20-2008, 05:04 PM
If meaning 'Most Valuable Player', as in whose team would be horrible without them, then I think Brees is the guy. I don't think the Saints would even be competitive without Brees. When Portis got hurt in 2006 Ladell Betts had a great year, and I think the Chargers would still compete without Rivers.

Also, I know this will sound rediculous, but Matt Ryan has been extremely important to his team. Not a frontrunner and really not in consideration, but if I made a list he would make top 10. He makes us, the Falcons, so much better.

bored of education
10-20-2008, 05:05 PM
If meaning 'Most Valuable Player', as in whose team would be horrible without them, then I think Brees is the guy. I don't think the Saints would even be competitive without Brees. When Portis got hurt in 2006 Ladell Betts had a great year, and I think the Chargers would still compete without Rivers.

Also, I know this will sound rediculous, but Matt Ryan has been extremely important to his team. Not a frontrunner and really not in consideration, but if I made a list he would make top 10. He makes us, the Falcons, so much better.

the value discussion is old. stats+wins=MVP

iowatreat54
10-20-2008, 05:06 PM
I give the nod to Rodgers over Orton easily. I think you have to take into account his leadership this year and as much as I hate to use it in favor of Rodgers, the whole Brett Favre saga that led up to the season. He's handled it all well and performed at a high level. But unless Rodgers puts on the jets, no Favre reference intended, and gets to the top of any passing categories, I dont think he has a legitimate shot. Only because he doesnt have flashy numbers. But watching him play, he makes very few mistakes and shows great poise. Remember hes led this team without a running game to this point, once Grant gets going its going to be interesting to see what number Rodgers puts up. Ill give him an outside, very outside shot at MVP.

well like you said, neither deserves it right now, but how can you say that Rodgers deserves it more when A. they have nearly identical stats B. Rodgers is surrounded by better skill players C. you say his leadership, who do you think the leader of the Bear's offense is? Plus, Green Bay is defending NFC North Champions whereas the Bears were terrible last year. I don't mean to sound like a homer, but Orton has done more for the Bears than Rodgers has for the Pack

Fck JC, He got off e.z
10-20-2008, 05:06 PM
Is there seriously a debate about who deserves it more between Orton and Rodgers happening right now?

iowatreat54
10-20-2008, 05:08 PM
Is there seriously a debate about who deserves it more between Orton and Rodgers happening right now?

yes sir...the apocalypse has come

bored of education
10-20-2008, 05:10 PM

Jesus Christ????????????????? that Jc?????????????

tjsunstein
10-20-2008, 05:22 PM

No its a conversation, would you like to join?

To respond to the Orton post:
Surrounding players never have mattered in an MVP race, ever so thats out of the window. Im just saying that Rodgers is more valuable to the packers than Orton is to the bears. If the Pack loses Rodgers for and extended period of time, they are noticeably worse than the Bears would be if they lost Orton.

Fck JC, He got off e.z
10-20-2008, 05:44 PM
Jesus Christ????????????????? that Jc?????????????

It is what it is.

21ST
10-20-2008, 05:46 PM
It is what it is.

he died for you

MetSox17
10-20-2008, 05:48 PM
he died for you

ommgzzzzz.

I'm shooting someone if this thread gets locked for being religious.

21ST
10-20-2008, 05:52 PM
ommgzzzzz.

I'm shooting someone if this thread gets locked for being religious.

lol it wont

bored of education
10-20-2008, 05:56 PM
What Would Mjd Do????????????????????

Wwmjdd???????????????

TitanHope
10-20-2008, 06:07 PM
Jay Cutler shall smite everyone for using his initials in vain!

Sniper
10-20-2008, 10:02 PM
Jay Cutler shall smite everyone for using his initials in vain!

Unless the person who uses his initials in vain is on the Patriots' defense, in which case he'll give them the ball.

jsagan77
10-21-2008, 07:54 PM
MVP: Portis
OPOY: Brees
DPOY: Haynesworth
OROY: Chris Johnson
DROY: Chris Horton
Coach: Jim Zorn
CBPOY: Carlos Rogers

I look at it this way, if Portis were hurt the skins would be up sh#$t creek without a paddle and they wouldn't be 5-2...

If Brees got hurt they would probably be about where they are, 3-4 but with those stats he has to win something...

We saw last year that the Titans D isn't the same w/o Haynesworth in the middle and the fact he has 5 sacks alraedy as a NT is rediculous... Did they resign him yet? If not they better... Charles Woodson should be in the running for this award as well..

Chris Johnson is my pick because of how he's helped his team and what he has brought to that offense... This could change by years end because there are so many deserving rookies but I think he'll get it for somereason..

Horton is Troy Polamalu with dreads.. Case closed! =0)

Jim Zorn has done something that no one ever thought possible and if he continues and wins the division I think he is a shoe in. Also if Haslett and Fischer have a nice shot at it as well, especially Haslett if he can actually win that division.. They are only 2 games back right?

Carlos Rogers: Covers like Champ, hits like a Saftey, Catches like a parpalegic (SP?)... Coming off of a devastating Knee injury he deserves it more than anyone with the way he's played. Most underated CB in the NFL right now..

FloridaSkinzFan
10-21-2008, 08:34 PM
Clinton Portis does it again, 175 yards and a TD against the Browns. BTW if your playing someone in your fantasy league who has Portis this week your screwed.......

Portis vs. Lions defense = $$$$$

d34ng3l021
10-21-2008, 08:36 PM
Clinton Portis does it again, 175 yards and a TD against the Browns. BTW if your playing someone in your fantasy league who has Portis this week your screwed.......

Portis vs. Lions defense = $$$$$

Oh dear God. That is going to be something epic.

TheBuffaloBills
10-21-2008, 08:41 PM
Trent Edwards.

CC.SD
10-21-2008, 08:47 PM
Trent Edwards.

Not until he has more TDs than Brett threw in one game. You should be ashamed of yourself, calling Trent the MVP is disrespectful to the fact that the Bills are winning as a true team.

SuperMcGee
10-21-2008, 08:50 PM
I'm not saying anything about Trent for MVP, but what is our record without him? It's not a plug-in JP and all systems are go operation.

BlindSite
10-21-2008, 08:51 PM
Not until he has more TDs than Brett threw in one game. You should be ashamed of yourself, calling Trent the MVP is disrespectful to the fact that the Bills are winning as a true team.

Philip Rivers or Drew breesus depending on who gets their team to the post season.

TheBuffaloBills
10-21-2008, 08:59 PM

Whoa Whoa Whoa. Its not absurd to mention his name. He was Peter King's first Quarter MVP. He is getting the wins which is one of the most important keys to winning the MVP. Like SuperMcgee said, we would not be anything like we are today if Trent wasnt our QB right now. Trent is indeed one of the most valuable players.

Today on PTI during five good minutes they were talking to Trent on how he is in the MVP race. Yeah you can say Wilbon and Kornheiser know nothing, but he deserves some recognition. So to say I "Should be ashamed" is a little too excessive.

Saints-Tigers
10-21-2008, 09:30 PM
MVP: Portis
OPOY: Brees
DPOY: Haynesworth
OROY: Chris Johnson
DROY: Chris Horton
Coach: Jim Zorn
CBPOY: Carlos Rogers

I look at it this way, if Portis were hurt the skins would be up sh#$t creek without a paddle and they wouldn't be 5-2...

If Brees got hurt they would probably be about where they are, 3-4 but with those stats he has to win something...

We saw last year that the Titans D isn't the same w/o Haynesworth in the middle and the fact he has 5 sacks alraedy as a NT is rediculous... Did they resign him yet? If not they better... Charles Woodson should be in the running for this award as well..

Chris Johnson is my pick because of how he's helped his team and what he has brought to that offense... This could change by years end because there are so many deserving rookies but I think he'll get it for somereason..

Horton is Troy Polamalu with dreads.. Case closed! =0)

Jim Zorn has done something that no one ever thought possible and if he continues and wins the division I think he is a shoe in. Also if Haslett and Fischer have a nice shot at it as well, especially Haslett if he can actually win that division.. They are only 2 games back right?

Carlos Rogers: Covers like Champ, hits like a Saftey, Catches like a parpalegic (SP?)... Coming off of a devastating Knee injury he deserves it more than anyone with the way he's played. Most underated CB in the NFL right now..

That's a joke right? We'd be winless, and it wouldn't be close. You expect Mark Brunell, Lance Moore, Mark Campbell, and Billy Miller to win with a mediocre defense?

I know you want to make a case for Portis, but saying we'd be 3-4 without Drew Brees is downright ********, and should be ban worthy.

Paranoidmoonduck
10-21-2008, 09:37 PM
In my opinion, if the Titans can keep this ship afloat until week 17, then Haynesworth should be MVP. Won't happen, but he'll have earned the title.

rockio42
10-21-2008, 10:40 PM
Do the Redskins play the Cheifs this year, I mean if LenWhale can go 80 yards on one play and like 130+ in one game Portis would have a chance at breaking ADs one game record

Saints-Tigers
10-21-2008, 10:57 PM
Drew Brees still gets KC and Detroit. He might break Dan Marino's 5000 yard mark in just those two games.

rockio42
10-21-2008, 11:00 PM
Drew Brees still gets KC and Detroit. He might break Dan Marino's 5000 yard mark in just those two games.

That is a very good point, I was making the Portis point in passing cause I think it would be awesome to watch, what are his stats right now??

Saints-Tigers
10-21-2008, 11:11 PM
Portis has 818 yards and 7 touchdowns, 5 yards per carry, and 10 catches for 71 yards with only one fumble lost.

Drew Brees has 2224 yards, 12 TD's and 7 INT's, 68.4 completion percentage with 8.5 yards per throw.

Albert Haynesworth is really my MVP to this point, but I think it's Drew Brees if not, because of the receiving core and blocking he has dealt with thus far.

Colston has 3 catches in the first game of the season, and didnt play until this week where he had a splint on his hand and couldnt haul in one pass.

Shockey has been out for a few weeks until this week.

David Patten hasn't played since week 2-3?

Deuce just started to really get carries 2 weeks ago.

We basically had Reggie Bush, Lance Moore, Devery Henderson, Billy Miller, and Mark Campbell. We actually dressed 3 receivers one week.

Drew has been amazing though, racking up yards and keeping a terrific completion percentage, despite average line play, and subpar receivers for the most part.

jsagan77
10-22-2008, 12:12 AM
That's a joke right? We'd be winless, and it wouldn't be close. You expect Mark Brunell, Lance Moore, Mark Campbell, and Billy Miller to win with a mediocre defense?

I know you want to make a case for Portis, but saying we'd be 3-4 without Drew Brees is downright ********, and should be ban worthy.

Why? Brunell actually looked like the old Brunell in pre season. I know that doesn't mean a lot but the game planning would have been different and the game wouldn't have all been in MB's hands... They have so much talent on that team offensively that I think they could be 3-4 with just about any 2nd string QB in the league regardless of injuries...

I could care less about making a case for Portis the proof is in the pudding. The Skins are winning because of Portis and the same can't be said for Brees.. He has inflated stats because his D sucks and while very good, he still hasn't done enough, himself, to earn the MVP award IMO.. I don't even think he was the MVP of his team let alone the League.. Don't get me wrong Drew Brees is amazing, but Reggie Bush was the MVP of that team this year. He was their big play's and was the guy that stepped up when they needed something to happen...

We'll see how he does with his X factor out of the starting line up. I expect a drop off in production even with getting Colston and Shockey back... I guess we'll see...

tjsunstein
10-22-2008, 12:22 AM
Brees losing Bush would be like Portis losing Samuels. This is the tell if Brees is MVP worthy by how he performs without Bush.

HawkeyeFan
10-22-2008, 12:26 AM
Chris Horton

:)

Honestly, I'd say Clinton Portis.

He's playing insane right now.

Trojanback02
10-22-2008, 12:30 AM
I'd go with Portis, he's really showing himself to be great.

Don't flame me for this, but if Buffalo keeps winning and Trent keeps on performing well, I want to throw his name out there also.

awfullyquiet
10-22-2008, 12:32 AM
I'd go with Portis, he's really showing himself to be great.

Don't flame me for this, but if Buffalo keeps winning and Trent keeps on performing well, I want to throw his name out there also.

I don't think anyone would flame you for that. As far as QB's go, he's a ways back on breesy, but definitely in the mix.

tjsunstein
10-22-2008, 12:42 AM
Guys I would consider MVP right now.

Drew Brees - See how he does without Bush.
Clinton Portis - Keeps up pace and hes a lock. Absolutely undeniable.
Phillip Rivers - Record kills his momentum.
Albert Haynesworth - 6 sacks and anchor of undefeated team.

Honorable mentions:

Trent Edwards - Lacks flashy stats to be strongly considered but team success gets him here.
Reggie Bush - Him being hurt certainly kills any chances but how can you not atleast mention him? 42 catches (5th in NFL) with the overall production he provides is great. Special Teams, Recieving, and not a half bad running back. He's an all around threat but injuries and dominating categories shift any MVP talk away.

SuperKevin
10-22-2008, 12:59 AM
I like Clinton Portis as the MVP so far. He's the best player on the best team in the NFC in my opinion.

d34ng3l021
10-22-2008, 01:44 AM
MVP: Clinton Portis. He is carrying one of the best teams on his back this season. Jason Campbell is nice and all, but that offense lives off of Portis. I was a huge fan of him in his early Redskins day, but it just kind of died off. I am glad to see him back on his game. He is on pace for what, 1600+ yards? Beast.

OPOTY: Drew Brees. I think this award fits him nicely right now. He is easily the best offensive player in the league this season and he is really putting on a show. I had him at number 3 on my top 10 QB list and thought he was an elite QB, like Brady and Manning (not same level, but still elite). What he is doing without his top targets is amazing. The reason I do not have him as MVP is because of the Saints 3-4 record. I cannot justify a MVP being on a losing team. And with the way of things, they might not even be 9-7 or 8-8. I dont know.

DPOTY: Albert Haynesworth. I was actually not going to pick him cause he I thought he got the award last season, but I forgot that he didn't. Cant believe it.

OROTY: Matt Ryan. Rookie QB leading a 4-2 team that was considered the worst in the league before week 1.

DROTY: Chris Horton. He needs to stop being so good so the Falcons can sweep this. Lofton needs to pick up some sacks or picks though.

CPOTY: I dont know? Chad Pennington? He is quietly completing 68 percent of his passes for an 8.1 YPA.

Coach of the Year:Dick Jauron. His young Bills team is playing like a serious playoff contender.

It was hard picking Dick over Mike Smith :/

CC.SD
10-22-2008, 01:47 AM
Sigh, Rivers is playing so, so well. I hope we put together some wins for his sake. The pick on 1st and goal from the 9 that killed us against Buffalo was the first red zone interception...of his career.

d34ng3l021
10-22-2008, 01:53 AM
:( Matt Ryan already has one. Stupid GB pick...

Yeah I want the Chargers to pick it up (falter against the Falcons though) and have Rivers make a run for MVP. He has been so good this season.

dunagan15
10-22-2008, 01:55 AM
Drew Brees or Rivers

Bruce Banner
10-22-2008, 01:57 AM
Drew Brees or Rivers

Sig is too big....see guidelines.

Saints-Tigers
10-22-2008, 03:01 AM
Why? Brunell actually looked like the old Brunell in pre season. I know that doesn't mean a lot but the game planning would have been different and the game wouldn't have all been in MB's hands... They have so much talent on that team offensively that I think they could be 3-4 with just about any 2nd string QB in the league regardless of injuries...

I could care less about making a case for Portis the proof is in the pudding. The Skins are winning because of Portis and the same can't be said for Brees.. He has inflated stats because his D sucks and while very good, he still hasn't done enough, himself, to earn the MVP award IMO.. I don't even think he was the MVP of his team let alone the League.. Don't get me wrong Drew Brees is amazing, but Reggie Bush was the MVP of that team this year. He was their big play's and was the guy that stepped up when they needed something to happen...

We'll see how he does with his X factor out of the starting line up. I expect a drop off in production even with getting Colston and Shockey back... I guess we'll see...

ROFL, ok dude.

diabsoule
10-22-2008, 03:24 AM
As of right now Albert Hyneworth is the undeiniable DPOY.

And I would think that Brees is the OPOY, especially with what he has to work with. These next few weeks will define how great he is without Bush in the line-up.

diabsoule
10-22-2008, 03:25 AM
Portis has 818 yards and 7 touchdowns, 5 yards per carry, and 10 catches for 71 yards with only one fumble lost.

Drew Brees has 2224 yards, 12 TD's and 7 INT's, 68.4 completion percentage with 8.5 yards per throw.

Albert Haynesworth is really my MVP to this point, but I think it's Drew Brees if not, because of the receiving core and blocking he has dealt with thus far.

Colston has 3 catches in the first game of the season, and didnt play until this week where he had a splint on his hand and couldnt haul in one pass.

Shockey has been out for a few weeks until this week.

David Patten hasn't played since week 2-3?

Deuce just started to really get carries 2 weeks ago.

We basically had Reggie Bush, Lance Moore, Devery Henderson, Billy Miller, and Mark Campbell. We actually dressed 3 receivers one week.

Drew has been amazing though, racking up yards and keeping a terrific completion percentage, despite average line play, and subpar receivers for the most part.

Exactly. Brees has been unbelievable.

diabsoule
10-22-2008, 03:29 AM
MVP: Clinton Portis. He is carrying one of the best teams on his back this season. Jason Campbell is nice and all, but that offense lives off of Portis. I was a huge fan of him in his early Redskins day, but it just kind of died off. I am glad to see him back on his game. He is on pace for what, 1600+ yards? Beast.

OPOTY: Drew Brees. I think this award fits him nicely right now. He is easily the best offensive player in the league this season and he is really putting on a show. I had him at number 3 on my top 10 QB list and thought he was an elite QB, like Brady and Manning (not same level, but still elite). What he is doing without his top targets is amazing. The reason I do not have him as MVP is because of the Saints 3-4 record. I cannot justify a MVP being on a losing team. And with the way of things, they might not even be 9-7 or 8-8. I dont know.

DPOTY: Albert Haynesworth. I was actually not going to pick him cause he I thought he got the award last season, but I forgot that he didn't. Cant believe it.

OROTY: Matt Ryan. Rookie QB leading a 4-2 team that was considered the worst in the league before week 1.

DROTY: Chris Horton. He needs to stop being so good so the Falcons can sweep this. Lofton needs to pick up some sacks or picks though.

CPOTY: I dont know? Chad Pennington? He is quietly completing 68 percent of his passes for an 8.1 YPA.

Coach of the Year:Dick Jauron. His young Bills team is playing like a serious playoff contender.

I can't argue with any of this.

DiG
10-22-2008, 07:24 AM

on pace for 1870.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-22-2008, 08:01 AM
I know there is talk about wanting Portis to go for 2,000, but I hope not. I'd rather not risk him running out of gas this early in his career just for a stupid milestone. I'll take 1500 yards and 12 TD's just fine so long as we make the playoffs, and next year he doesn't have a big drop off.

jsagan77
10-22-2008, 08:07 AM
ROFL, ok dude.

Good argument..

iloxygenil
10-22-2008, 08:31 AM
Portis > Brees. Brees' stats are insane, but guess what, his team isn't winning...that's what a QB is supposed to get is the W. I know it's a team game, but you can't give the MVP to a guy who's team isn't winning games. While I think he may be the most valuable player to his team without a doubt, the way the award is set up, isn't given to truly the MVP.

Albert = Portis > Brees

For me right now. It's hard to deny Albert, he's playing like a man posessed.

I know the Falcons need a LOT more wins to get someone in consideration for an award...but man John Abraham has to get mentioned in the conversation for Defensive Player of the Year.

cdub11
10-22-2008, 09:31 AM
As of right now I would give the MVP to Portis but Brees is very very close. At this point it could really go either way.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-22-2008, 09:36 AM
For Brees to be even considered for the MVP award, his team needs to at least make the playoffs. As of right now his team is last in it's division, so I can't see the NFL giving the MVP award to a guy who doesn't even make the playoffs.

703SKINS202
10-22-2008, 10:51 AM

Cant argue with any of this either. Off the top of my head I don't really know a lot of CPOTY candidates but Carlos Rogers has got to be up there. When people were looking at the drafts they still were debating if rogers was a bust or had a chance to prove himself this year. He had season ending knee surgery in late October and wasn't supposed to be back until midway through the season. He came back strong and has had the best season of his career playing like a man possessed shutting down some of the best Wr's in the league and making huge open field tackles. If he had better hands he would have about 3-4 picks and might make consideration for pro bowl.

FlyingElvis
10-22-2008, 11:01 AM
MVP: Clinton Portis. . . .
OPOTY: Drew Brees. . . .
DPOTY: Albert Haynesworth. . . . .
OROTY: Matt Ryan. . . . .
DROTY: Chris Horton. . . . .

Tough to argue any of these right now. Coach may come down to the best record between the Bills & Falcons, but I'll lean toward Smith since the Bills were expected to be at least a .500 team vs. the Falcons picked to maybe win 4.

I'll throw Jake Delhomme in as my pick for CBPOY, but it will be a close race w/Chad. The nod has to go to Jake b/c of the injury and with Steve Smith heating up Jake may run away with this honor. I will also mention my deep sleeper - Antonio Bryant in Tampa. If he keeps up the pace he's at it would be a remarkable comeback from not even being in the NFL last year.

I'm still going to homer out on the DROY and pick Mayo. I remember making the homer pick in the O/DROY prediction thread on the condition that he get significant playing time in a complex Pats D. At this point he does not leave the field in any situation, which is more impressive than his stats alone. BTW, his stats are pretty damn good.

703SKINS202
10-22-2008, 12:36 PM
I won't even be a homer and put Horton over Mayo at this point. 1st rounder vs 7th and lets compare the stats:

Mayo: 42 tackles 1 fumble recovery
Horton: 37 tackles, 7 pdef, 3 int, 1 fumble recovery

Plus Horton has only started 5 games out of the 7 hes played in.

FloridaSkinzFan
10-22-2008, 12:41 PM
MVP: He is on pace for what, 1600+ yards? Beast.

Portis is actually on pace for 1900+ yards

FlyingElvis
10-22-2008, 12:46 PM
If it's a close call I think homerism is a great tie-breaker!

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r39/dmc27sinned/smiley/beerchug.gif

FuzzyGopher
10-22-2008, 12:54 PM
While I do think Brees is very valuable to the Saints, they just are not winning games. I know their Defense isn't great but he isn't the most valuable player in the league. His numbers are nice but not out of the world. He is on pace for over 5,000 yards passing which is amazing but he is only on pace to throw for 27 TD and 17 INT. 27 TD's is good but its pro bowl worthy not MVP worthy.

iloxygenil
10-22-2008, 01:45 PM
I won't even be a homer and put Horton over Mayo at this point. 1st rounder vs 7th and lets compare the stats:

Mayo: 42 tackles 1 fumble recovery
Horton: 37 tackles, 7 pdef, 3 int, 1 fumble recovery

Plus Horton has only started 5 games out of the 7 hes played in.

Lol...New England is grasping at straws for anything to make them feel good this season, don't mess up their only inkling of hope for the future. The Patriots have gotten old...and all at once. Not fast by any means cause they've been old, but their players are feeling the effects for the first time...at least they're doing something as a team.

Saints-Tigers
10-22-2008, 04:01 PM
While I do think Brees is very valuable to the Saints, they just are not winning games. I know their Defense isn't great but he isn't the most valuable player in the league. His numbers are nice but not out of the world. He is on pace for over 5,000 yards passing which is amazing but he is only on pace to throw for 27 TD and 17 INT. 27 TD's is good but its pro bowl worthy not MVP worthy.

So basically having better receivers makes one QB more valuable than another.

FuzzyGopher
10-22-2008, 04:10 PM
So basically having better receivers makes one QB more valuable than another.

No, the Saints are not winning games so it's hard to justify Brees winning MVP. It's like the Heisman trophy, a guy can light up the NCAA but if his team has a .500 record he's not going to win it. Brees' yards don't match up with his TD's because instead of handing off to Bush they throw it to him, so instead of Bush having a lot of rushing yards he gets them from passes thus inflating Brees' yards. If you take Brees off the Saints do they win less games? Maybe, but they are not really winning games with him anyway.

Jvig43
10-22-2008, 09:23 PM
Lol...New England is grasping at straws for anything to make them feel good this season, don't mess up their only inkling of hope for the future. The Patriots have gotten old...and all at once. Not fast by any means cause they've been old, but their players are feeling the effects for the first time...at least they're doing something as a team.

As a Falcons fan you must know what that feels like eh?

CC.SD
10-22-2008, 10:14 PM
As a Falcons fan you must know what that feels like eh?

Zing? Bad time to knock the falcons. Check back later when they've lost the division lead.

Burns336
10-23-2008, 12:08 AM
Wow, I've gone through countless pages of discussion and no one has mentioned one of the more obvious choices yet...

I mean, Brad Johnson has got to be in the discussion at this point.

jsa230
10-23-2008, 12:20 AM
yeah brad johnson for mvp and martellus bennett for oroy,dudes just sad because pacman ****** your team up.i will regretably give you props for sticking with your team even when the goings get tough... cowboy fan

jsa230
10-23-2008, 12:20 AM
on a more serious note, portis for mvp

Menardo75
10-23-2008, 02:42 AM
I do not see how Brad Johnson cannot be in this conversation. I mean come on lets get real.

Seriously though Portis probably pulled ahead this week.

shane_man
10-23-2008, 06:52 AM
What chance do you give Romo if he returns to the team at 4-5 and leads us back to the playoffs undefeated~!

iloxygenil
10-23-2008, 08:01 AM
What chance do you give Romo if he returns to the team at 4-5 and leads us back to the playoffs undefeated~!

If that happens he's prolly going to lock it up to be honest. Cowboys have a ton of talent, but have looked bad all year, if he can come back and bring a losing team into the playoffs from the NFC East, I'll be impressed no doubt, plus he has the media stroking him already even when he sucks. So he'd have a great shot at it. But if Portis continues on his pace and the Skins keep playing good ball it's not going to be close for long.

Burns336
10-23-2008, 01:51 PM
Blasphemy.

Tony isn't getting his job back. With the way Brad has been playing, Tony is headed back to the bench he came from.

Just wait for Brad "The Bull" Johnson to pad those stats a little more this weekend. Then it should be all wrapped up.

tjsunstein
10-23-2008, 03:10 PM
Aaron Rodgers!? :)

d34ng3l021
10-23-2008, 04:37 PM
Zing? Bad time to knock the falcons. Check back later when they've lost the division lead.

Might as well not check back at all.

Zing.

Mr. Stiller
10-23-2008, 05:16 PM
Anyone know where someone could get a list of the Offensive and Defensive players of the week?

FloridaSkinzFan
10-26-2008, 06:21 PM
Portis went for 126yards today.

Top 5 rushers in NFL
1. Clinton Portis 944 yards 7 td
2. Adrian Peterson 684 yards 5 td
3. Michael Turner 655 yards 6 td
4. Marion Barber 611 yards 5 td
5. Chris Johnson 549 yards 3 td

d34ng3l021
10-26-2008, 06:22 PM
He is playing like a man possessed. Great consistency out of him.

Saints-Tigers
10-26-2008, 06:40 PM
Reggie Bush goes down, Drew Breesus comes out and throws for 339 and 3 touchdowns.

FloridaSkinzFan
10-26-2008, 06:52 PM
Reggie Bush goes down, Drew Breesus comes out and throws for 339 and 3 touchdowns.

I'm going to be honest, Drew Brees is playing great football, I would give him the nod for mvp if his INT count was lower, but for now considering how far ahead of the pack portis is compared to everyone else i would give it to him.

The Dynasty
10-26-2008, 06:53 PM
Right Now I would say

1. Portis
2. Haynesworth
3. Brees

I hate seeing a guy get the MVP when the team is just Average which is my problem with Brees.

Saints-Tigers
10-26-2008, 06:54 PM
I would give it to Portis if he was running behind no offensive line and had no passing game to help out.

Portis might have prettier stats, but Brees' supporting cast right now is looking brutal.....

It will be hard to argue if the Aints make the playoffs and Brees cracks 5000 yards.

Malaka
10-26-2008, 06:59 PM
Right Now I would say

1. Portis
2. Haynesworth
3. Brees

I hate seeing a guy get the MVP when the team is just Average which is my problem with Brees.

I agree with that list 100% unfortunately, Haynesworth will never win it just because he is on defense and the voters really suck. Any sports voters who can get Roy Williams into the pro bowl truly sucks.

skinzzfan25
10-26-2008, 06:59 PM
I would give it to Portis if he was running behind no offensive line and had no passing game to help out.

Portis might have prettier stats, but Brees' supporting cast right now is looking brutal.....

It will be hard to argue if the Aints make the playoffs and Brees cracks 5000 yards.

He still cranked out 120+ with his Chris Samuels out.

Saints-Tigers
10-26-2008, 07:00 PM
I will say, if it were my vote, I'd give it to Haynesworth at this point, but if both squads make it to the playoffs, the Saints and Skins that is, I think it would be a travesty to give it to Portis over Brees.

Saints-Tigers
10-26-2008, 07:02 PM

Cool, Brees has done the deal without Bush this week, and with no Colston, Shockey and Patten for a while, no Deuce in the beginning, and mediocre blocking throughout.

We haven't been healthy yet, even this week, Colston has a splint on his hand and can't catch, and Shockey is hurt as usual, with no Bush at all :-/

Burns336
10-26-2008, 07:03 PM
Brad Johnson pretty much locked it up today. It's not often you see a QB put a team on his shoulders and dominate like The Bull did today.

FloridaSkinzFan
10-26-2008, 07:07 PM

Good point, our undrafted 2nd year tackle took over for the 5 time pro bowl chris samuels and portis still cranked out another 120+ game.

Saints-Tigers
10-26-2008, 07:08 PM
Trying to use injuries and supporting cast isn't going to help Portis' case against Brees. Better stick to pretty stats.

FloridaSkinzFan
10-26-2008, 07:11 PM
Trying to use injuries and supporting cast isn't going to help Portis' case against Brees. Better stick to pretty stats.

Hows this for a pretty stat?

Redskins 6-2
Saints 4-4

oh yah and this too,

Jason Campbell 0 INT
Drew Brees 7 INT

Yah, i think I'll stick with pretty stats instead of complaining that players were hurt.

Saints-Tigers
10-26-2008, 07:15 PM
Kerry Collins= 6-0

Collins>Portis+Campbell

FloridaSkinzFan
10-26-2008, 07:20 PM
Kerry Collins= 6-0

Collins>Portis+Campbell>Drew Brees

There I fixed it for yah

The Dynasty
10-26-2008, 07:20 PM
Kerry Collins= 6-0

Collins>Portis+Campbell

Titans arent 6-0 because of Collins though. Where without Portis or Campbell...they would be no were. Same with the saints and brees.

Saints-Tigers
10-26-2008, 07:23 PM
We'd be winless without Brees for sure. Not so sure you can say that about any other single player.

Flyboy
10-26-2008, 07:26 PM
At this point, the MVP belongs to Clinton Portis. Period.

ShutDwn
10-26-2008, 07:28 PM
Hows this for a pretty stat?

Redskins 6-2
Saints 4-4

oh yah and this too,

Jason Campbell 0 INT
Drew Brees 7 INT

Yah, i think I'll stick with pretty stats instead of complaining that players were hurt.

So, Jason Campbell's play also has been vital in their strong play lately? That doesn't really help Portis either. There are a lot of Skins that you can say have huge roles in their success, Moss especially this past week.

Drew Brees puts up huge numbers just about every week with the most inconssitent line ups week to week.

FloridaSkinzFan
10-26-2008, 07:29 PM
We'd be winless without Brees for sure. Not so sure you can say that about any other single player.

Thats not that great of an argument. You're saying that Drew Brees is the most valuable player in the whole league because hes led the saints to a 4-4 record so far? I believe a teams record and performance has a lot to do with who wins the mvp.. not a subpar team that is only .500 because their QB.

The saints are in last place in their division...Drew Brees is not the MVP.

Saints-Tigers
10-26-2008, 07:33 PM
So two games is your argument?

So if Jason Campbell gets hurt and you drop two games, and we make up those two in the coming weeks, would that make Brees more valuable in your eyes?

I agree with the premise, but it's not like Drew Brees is putting up stats on a terribly ranked team, he's playing with garbage and has them battling back into the division.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-26-2008, 07:44 PM
Not hating on Brees but when you are last in your division you don't get near an MVP award. MVP has always gone to best players on playoff teams. I guarantee a non playoff player will not win MVP this year.

CJSchneider
10-26-2008, 07:55 PM
I'd honestly give Portis the MVP at present because I do agree with you in regards to record, but Brees is running a close 2nd and two games either way would land it in Brees lap-here's why:

Look at what he has accomplished with what he has lost

Lost? What do you mean lost?
Here is what I mean. Let's look at the major injuries suffered my N.O. offense alone.

Bush for 1.5 games
McCalister for 3
Shockey for 4
Colston for 6

That would be the equivalent to Campbell losing
Clinton Portis for 1.5
Betts(after eating a Super Mario Power Up mushroom) for 3
Cooley for 4
Moss for 6

Portis is having a great year and the MVP, IMO, at present, but remember MVP is the player whom is most valuble to their team - don't look back Clinton, you've got a QB chasing you down.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-26-2008, 10:10 PM
I'd honestly give Portis the MVP at present because I do agree with you in regards to record, but Brees is running a close 2nd and two games either way would land it in Brees lap-here's why:

Look at what he has accomplished with what he has lost

Lost? What do you mean lost?
Here is what I mean. Let's look at the major injuries suffered my N.O. offense alone.

Bush for 1.5 games
McCalister for 3
Shockey for 4
Colston for 6

That would be the equivalent to Campbell losing
Clinton Portis for 1.5
Betts(after eating a Super Mario Power Up mushroom) for 3
Cooley for 4
Moss for 6

Portis is having a great year and the MVP, IMO, at present, but remember MVP is the player whom is most valuble to their team - don't look back Clinton, you've got a QB chasing you down.

Well if MVP was really "most valuable player, many of the past 10 winners would not have won. Just like Shaun Alexander winning MVP in 2006. Take him away from that Seahawk team they are still a playoff team. MVP is very much about politics. Although with the media already favoring him I think in reality Brees has the advantage right now for MVP.

d34ng3l021
10-26-2008, 10:12 PM
Both are playing at a very equal level right now, and it wouldnt be a surprise if one got it over the other.

tjsunstein
10-26-2008, 10:15 PM

Carson Palmer?

d34ng3l021
10-26-2008, 10:17 PM
They are winless without and with Carson Palmer.

M.O.T.H.
10-27-2008, 12:09 AM
5,000 passing yards or 2,000 rushing yards...hmm. Tough choice. Portis just needs to hope that the Saints dont continue to win. If the Saints dont make the playoffs and Skins do. It's probably Portis' and Brees would take offensive player of the year. But if the Saints do make the playoffs, it's gotta be Bree's award.

There is a chance that it could go to Bree's regardless, though...because well, 5,000 yards is 5,000 yards.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-27-2008, 06:48 AM
Although in Today's pass friendly NFL in which offense has way more of an advantage over DB's I personally think 2,000 yards rushing is more impressive than 5,000 yards passing. You have to consider that Portis is doing this as a bruising back not an explosive back. He is getting towards 2,000 with getting 120+ every game of tough yards. This isn't Jamal Lewis in which he got 500+ yards in 2003 just against the Browns. This is Portis getting 25+ tough carries every game. I know they don't give points for that though, although I will say if Brees gets 5,000 that would be equally impressive given the type of players he has. Really I'd be happy with either winning. IMO neither will reach the milestones and Portis will end up with 1700-1800 yards and Brees 4300-4500, so if that's the case it's a tossup. Brees is more likely to reach 5,000 because Portis does get pounded every single week and also if they lock the playoffs they will rest him a bit so he isn't worn out. Brees though will be letting it fly to the end.

Shiver
10-27-2008, 07:07 AM
If the Chargers surge then Rivers, if it is the Saints then it is Brees. I just don't think you can give the MVP award to a player on a mediocre team. Clinton Portis has a shot, but only if Washington wins the NFC East outright.

703SKINS202
10-27-2008, 08:14 AM
If the Chargers surge then Rivers, if it is the Saints then it is Brees. I just don't think you can give the MVP award to a player on a mediocre team. Clinton Portis has a shot, but only if Washington wins the NFC East outright.

Who are you calling mediocre?

Chargers 3-5
Saints 4-4
Redskins 6-2

How does Portis only have a shot over those two if we dont win the NFC Beast but finish 10-6 or better and make the playoffs while both those teams are at a high risk to miss the playoffs right now.

rockio42
10-27-2008, 08:25 AM
If the Saints and Redskins makes the playoffs

Co-MVPs Clinton Portis & Drew Bress

Wouldn't be the first time they gave it to a RB and a QB

Dirk360
10-27-2008, 10:32 AM
Brady and Haynesworth for me. Brady because his team is 18th in scoring without him and Haynesworth because he anchers the best defense.

MetSox17
10-27-2008, 11:07 AM
If the Saints and Redskins makes the playoffs

Co-MVPs Clinton Portis & Drew Bress

Wouldn't be the first time they gave it to a RB and a QB

Having Co-MVP's is lame. Just make Portis the MVP (cause he is) and give the OPOY award to Brees.

iowatreat54
10-27-2008, 11:09 AM
Having Co-MVP's is lame. Just make Portis the MVP (cause he is) and give the OPOY award to Brees.

yea, *** Brett Favre ruined Barry Sanders's in 97 :(

Dirk360
10-27-2008, 11:10 AM

portis is a good pick.

DiG
10-29-2008, 02:34 PM
cbs midseason awards:

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/11067531

Menardo75
10-29-2008, 02:39 PM
Tony Romo? Really?

Addict
10-29-2008, 02:50 PM
Tony Romo? Really?

I guess he really, really wants it to happen or something...

Menardo75
10-29-2008, 02:51 PM
What has he done this year besides nothing?

Addict
10-29-2008, 02:53 PM
What has he done this year besides nothing?

uhh... Jessica Simpson!

Ravens1991
10-29-2008, 02:54 PM
wow Ray Lewis, he is good but I dont think he is having as good a season to be #2 in DPOY.

Menardo75
10-29-2008, 02:55 PM
uhh... Jessica Simpson!

I guess if that is what decides MVP these days, then Tony Romo and Reggie Bush are in a two man race for MVP.

Addict
10-29-2008, 02:57 PM
I guess if that is what decides MVP these days, then Tony Romo and Reggie Bush are in a two man race for MVP.

wait, Reggie Bush is doing Jessica Simpson these days?

Menardo75
10-29-2008, 02:58 PM
wait, Reggie Bush is doing Jessica Simpson these days?

Would'nt suprise me I was thinking more like Kim Kardashian?

Addict
10-29-2008, 03:08 PM
Would'nt suprise me I was thinking more like Kim Kardashian?

I've seen she's dynamite between the sheets...

Menardo75
10-29-2008, 03:12 PM
I've seen she's dynamite between the sheets...

You think she has shown that to Reggie?

Addict
10-29-2008, 03:18 PM
You think she has shown that to Reggie?

unsure tbh. I would imagine Reggie has better stamina than that rapper she was getting jiggy with in her video... if they ever tape themselves, It'd be feature film-lenght.

Hell I might even buy a ticket.

terribletowel39
10-29-2008, 03:21 PM
That whole article was bofunk. Tony Romo, Ray Lewis and Lamar Woodley, Chris Long and no Curtis Lofton, Atlanta has to be the most surprising team, and him saying that the league is a lot less interesting now with Brady hurt. WTF??

skinzzfan25
10-29-2008, 03:22 PM
unsure tbh. I would imagine Reggie has better stamina than that rapper she was getting jiggy with in her video... if they ever tape themselves, It'd be feature film-lenght.

Hell I might even buy a ticket.

I'm not sure, they say Reggie can't take it through the tackles.

Addict
10-29-2008, 03:22 PM
That whole article was bofunk. Tony Romo, Ray Lewis and Lamar Woodley, Chris Long and no Curtis Lofton, Atlanta has to be the most surprising team, and him saying that the league is a lot less interesting now with Brady hurt. WTF??

we were trying to have a discussion here!

Addict
10-29-2008, 03:23 PM

... who would be tackling him? It's not like she wants to keep him out, or that they have to do in on the football field WHILST playing a game... (even though that would be an interesting thing to see happen)

Menardo75
10-29-2008, 03:44 PM
I wonder if Reggie has his bull rush technique down.

skinzzfan25
10-29-2008, 04:04 PM
http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Portis_Wins_NFC_Offensive_Player_of_Month_Honor_26 315.jsp

Portis NFC Offensive Player of the Month

tjsunstein
10-29-2008, 04:18 PM

I literally laughed. Props.

CC.SD
10-29-2008, 05:38 PM
So my question is, at what point does Albert Haynseworth become undeniable? 10-0? 13-0?

Geo
10-29-2008, 05:44 PM
It's more of a question of Haynesworth and what he does, his effect, than just the Titans' record I think. Now defensive POTY, at least that focuses on the defensive side of the ball.

For me Drew Brees is the clear-cut frontrunner for MVP, and he has a sizeable lead.

BBIB
10-29-2008, 05:57 PM
Has a defensive player ever won league MVP?

If it has happened Im guessing it was a linebacker.

For a defensive linemen to get it wow.

Im guessing this is the best chance it could ever happen though.

It depends on the Titans record. They need to win at least 14 games I think for him to get serious consideration.

That and/or someone like Drew Brees should be on a team that has so many losses that it would be embarassing to give it to him. Like if the Saints finish several games under .500 and last place in the division

Malaka
10-29-2008, 06:06 PM

It depends on the Titans record. They need to win at least 14 games I think for him to get serious consideration.

That and/or someone like Drew Brees should be on a team that has so many losses that it would be embarassing to give it to him. Like if the Saints finish several games under .500 and last place in the division

I believe Lawrence Taylor won the MVP at OLB, so yes I am sure more defensive players have won it too.

My choice for MVP is Clinton Portis, he has been so unbelievably good this year. He has like 700 yards and 7 TDs, and counting, I know he definitely leads the league in rushing. Without Portis, the Redskins would be a mediocre team, not on the verge on greatness they are on now.

703SKINS202
10-29-2008, 06:08 PM
I believe Lawrence Taylor won the MVP at OLB, so yes I am sure more defensive players have won it too.

My choice for MVP is Clinton Portis, he has been so unbelievably good this year. He has like 700 yards and 7 TDs, and counting, I know he definitely leads the league in rushing. Without Portis, the Redskins would be a mediocre team, not on the verge on greatness they are on now.

Try 944 yards 5.0 ypc.

Malaka
10-29-2008, 06:14 PM
Try 944 yards 5.0 ypc.

Wow, thats even better than what I thought, I think if he doesn't get inured he is MVP locked. He has easily been the best RB in the league this year, and I think he is the best player as well.

The Dynasty
10-29-2008, 06:22 PM

There has been two Defensive players to receive the MVP. Lawrence Taylor is one of them and then Alan Page who was a Defensive Tackle like Haynesworth.

Then i found this odd. In 1982, Mark Moseley a Placekicker won the MVP. Given that it was the Strike year for the NFL it is still surprising that a placekicker could win the MVP.

bored of education
10-29-2008, 06:28 PM
Sheriff Gonnagetchya!

BamaFalcon59
10-29-2008, 06:33 PM
No offense to Portis, but I think it shows it is a bad year when he is leading it. I'm just not seeing the 'wow' factor I usually see with MVPs.

His production looks like 'wow', but I just don't see it watching him.

IDK.

skinzzfan25
10-29-2008, 06:52 PM
No offense to Portis, but I think it shows it is a bad year when he is leading it. I'm just not seeing the 'wow' factor I usually see with MVPs.

IDK.

120+ yards in 5 straight games doesn't 'wow' you?

Through LTs 2006 MVP season, his first 8 games only totaled 765 yards.

703SKINS202
10-29-2008, 06:54 PM

IDK.

I don't know how you can say that when hes on pace to get nearly 1900 yards. Portis doesn't have that wow factor like LT, he is a more of a grind it out runner and he doesn't get into the endzone as much as some would want from an mvp but 944 yards and 7 td's is definitely pretty elite. If you also watch him play you realize he is one of the toughest rb's in the nfl and imo the best blocking rb in the nfl.

ShutDwn
10-29-2008, 07:10 PM

LT finished with 28 rushing TDs though.

Drew Brees has more of a wow factor, he has put up huge numbers and is on pace to break Dan Marino's record for passing yards. He doesn't have any Randy Moss or T.O. or Marvin Harrison. He is doing it with an injury plagued lineup relying on receivers like Devery Henderson and Lance Moore. Before Bush went out he had at least one great threat, but even with Bush out he still put up great stats.

Dam8610
10-29-2008, 07:18 PM

Alan Page, DT, Vikings
Lawrence Taylor, LB, Giants

BamaFalcon59
10-29-2008, 07:30 PM

I don't know how you can say that when hes on pace to get nearly 1900 yards. Portis doesn't have that wow factor like LT, he is a more of a grind it out runner and he doesn't get into the endzone as much as some would want from an mvp but 944 yards and 7 td's is definitely pretty elite. If you also watch him play you realize he is one of the toughest rb's in the nfl and imo the best blocking rb in the nfl.

LaDainian Tomlinson (2006)
1,815 rushing yards
5.2 yards per carry
28 rushing touchdowns
508 receiving yards
9.1 yards per catch
3 receiving touchdowns
2,323 total offensive yards
31 total touchdowns

Clinton Portis (2008 on pace for)
1,888 rushing yards
5.0 yards per carry
14 rushing touchdowns
154 receiving yards
7.0 yards per catch
0 receiving touchdowns
2,042 total offensive yards
14 total touchdowns

Portis has a slight edge in rushing yards due to him having more carries, but other wise Tomlinson basically smashes him in every catagory. No contest, really.

At this point I would vote for Albert Haynesworth, then Portis. If Brees can get the Saints some wins then he would be up there.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-29-2008, 08:56 PM
What's most impressive is Portis is racking up crazy yards despite every single one of his carries being tough carries.

marks01234
10-29-2008, 09:01 PM
What's most impressive is Portis is racking up crazy yards despite every single one of his carries being tough carries.

I don't know how you can say Portis has tough carries, where other MVP candidates like LT, Emmitt Smith and Barry Sanders have had "easy carries".

That being said, Portis is the MVP right now. No, he hasn't had any amazing games. But what has been amazing is the consistenct effort he brings to the Redskins. Brees is a close runnerup. Rivers gets my third vote.

Long way to go though. I always expect running backs to begin to fall off in the second half of a season (although they do prove me wrong).

B-Dawk
10-29-2008, 09:52 PM
portis is one of the most consistent runners in the league, hes not gonna bust out for too many long runs like lt, and he still has a 5 ypc. I'd like to see a stat for percentage of carries over three yards.

jsagan77
10-29-2008, 10:55 PM
Man Portis is awesome, and I'm a Skins fan but I can't think that he is the best back in football... I still think BWest is the best back in football but as far as production Portis has the nod this year... This race is going to come down to Brees and Portis unless they collapse and Kurt Warner or Phillip Rivers give them a run...

johbur
10-30-2008, 01:02 AM
If everybody holds up and produces something in the second half that they have in the first:

Joey Porter for DPOY. Head Stopper might get the love due to the record, but Porter has been an absolute beast for the Tuna. He's eyeing the Strahan record. Wonder if Favre will fall down for him if he needs an extra sack?

If Brees is on pace in week 14 to break Marino's record, then I think he'll get MVP, with Portis being tossed the bone of OPOY. If he isn't on pace to break it, maybe it gets reversed, especially if the 'Skins are challenging for the NFC East title prior to the voting.

jsagan77
10-30-2008, 08:58 AM
If everybody holds up and produces something in the second half that they have in the first:

Joey Porter for DPOY. Head Stopper might get the love due to the record, but Porter has been an absolute beast for the Tuna. He's eyeing the Strahan record. Wonder if Favre will fall down for him if he needs an extra sack?

If Brees is on pace in week 14 to break Marino's record, then I think he'll get MVP, with Portis being tossed the bone of OPOY. If he isn't on pace to break it, maybe it gets reversed, especially if the 'Skins are challenging for the NFC East title prior to the voting.

I think this all depends on which team is winning... Historically the MVP has gone to a person on a team that is playoff bound... If the Saints aren't playoff bound I see those awards flipped in that Portis would get MVP and Brees OPOY...

BroadwayJoe10
11-02-2008, 11:02 PM
It's gonna be a tough choice for MVP and DPOTY. Not trying to be a homer, but just because I get to watch the Jets play every week, I wanna throw out Kris Jenkins to get some consideration for both. He's been playing like a man possessed and has transformed that defense from one of the worst rush D's in the entire league to one of the best. The addition of Pace has helped, but it's Jenkins' superb play at the NT position that has transformed that team. I can say for certain that he has been the most dominant and valuable player on the jets this year, and that includes favre.

Saints-Tigers
11-02-2008, 11:06 PM
No.

Dpoy is a lock, it's Albert Haynesworth, and it isn't remotely close, and he should really be MVP IMO.

fenikz
11-02-2008, 11:12 PM
Warner - 2431 Passing Yards, 16 TD, 6 INT, 69.9%, 104.2 QB Rat(5-3)
Brees - 2563 Passing Yards, 15 TD, 7 INT, 69.1%, 101.6 QB Rat(4-4)

Warner Wins, all hail the 3X MVP!

Bearsfan123
11-02-2008, 11:21 PM
No Kyle Orton love? I mean he was actually a good QB on the Bears. I stress was because the football gods saw he was a Bear and struck him down. If any of you dont know, Im kidding.

MVP- Brees because hes in the midst of breaking a record.
OPOY-Portis- Hes doing a damn good job.
DPOY-Haynesworth- i still dont like him due to the stomping incident (no i wont let it go), but he is playing out of his mind right now. A truly unblockable player.

saintsfan912
11-02-2008, 11:36 PM
Warner - 2431 Passing Yards, 16 TD, 6 INT, 69.9%, 104.2 QB Rat(5-3)
Brees - 2563 Passing Yards, 15 TD, 7 INT, 69.1%, 101.6 QB Rat(4-4)

Warner Wins, all hail the 3X MVP!

Has he done it with a patchwork WR corp and a half of a running back?