PDA

View Full Version : Eric Decker

Ozzy
10-14-2008, 08:39 AM
People really need to start talking about this guy. He is not only the hands down best receiver in the Big Ten, but one of the best receivers in the nation. The kid did not just come out of nowhere either. As a freshman he showed great hands and really smooth precise route running.

What is different with him now is that he is bigger, faster and much stronger. He is wonderful at making catches in traffic, really does not have a problem with getting hit. He can easily break tackles and his physical style of play is what is taking his game to the next level.

The kid is a standout prospect at receiver and is one of the best receiver prospect in the country. Sure some might say he does not have amazing speed, but I say he has better than average speed and with his ability to go up and get the ball in the air, around multiple defenders is what makes him a potential star. His route running and great catching ability makes up for any apparent lack of speed, even though there is none really.

What do other people think of Mr. Decker?
http://images.athlonsports.com/d/10127-1/EricDecker.jpg

bigbenn
10-14-2008, 08:54 AM
People really need to start talking about this guy. He is not only the hands down best receiver in the Big Ten, but one of the best receivers in the nation. The kid did not just come out of nowhere either. As a freshman he showed great hands and really smooth precise route running.

What is different with him now is that he is bigger, faster and much stronger. He is wonderful at making catches in traffic, really does not have a problem with getting hit. He can easily break tackles and his physical style of play is what is taking his game to the next level.

The kid is a standout prospect at receiver and is one of the best receiver prospect in the country. Sure some might say he does not have amazing speed, but I say he has better than average speed and with his ability to go up and get the ball in the air, around multiple defenders is what makes him a potential star. His route running and great catching ability makes up for any apparent lack of speed, even though there is none really.

What do other people think of Mr. Decker?
http://images.athlonsports.com/d/10127-1/EricDecker.jpg

He's pretty good but he isn't hands down the best WR in the B10, or even the best. That goes to the guy who I have as my screen name.;)

Hawk
10-14-2008, 08:58 AM
Deckerzzzz

Yatta!
10-14-2008, 09:17 AM
He's gonna have a Jordyzzz-esque following on this site when he comes out. Kid is for real though.

Ozzy
10-14-2008, 09:20 AM
He's pretty good but he isn't hands down the best WR in the B10, or even the best. That goes to the guy who I have as my screen nameI like Benn as much as the next guy, but in terms of flat out receiving ability Decker is just as good as Benn is. Really disappointed in Benn as a return man in that game though, wow he looked lost and really uncomfortable at times. Benn is a more explosive athlete, but Decker has better hands.

Yes it could be argued though Benn is better, but Decker is just as good as he is as a prospect. Both have their own strengths though.

Sniper
10-14-2008, 10:13 AM
I like Benn as much as the next guy, but in terms of flat out receiving ability Decker is just as good as Benn is. Really disappointed in Benn as a return man in that game though, wow he looked lost and really uncomfortable at times. Benn is a more explosive athlete, but Decker has better hands.

Yes it could be argued though Benn is better, but Decker is just as good as he is as a prospect. Both have their own strengths though.

As a prospect? Decker can't hold Benn's jock, and it has nothing to do with skin color.

Ozzy
10-14-2008, 10:19 AM
As a prospect? Decker can't hold Benn's jock, and it has nothing to do with skin color.Explain your jock theory, because no way in hell Benn is a better route runner or has better hands than Decker, and also could be argued Decker is physically stronger and tougher than Benn. Benn has the speed advantage, what else?

Hold his "jock", nice cliché but explain yourself a little bit, because I think Decker can hold a jock strap, just a guess though. ;)

Sniper
10-14-2008, 10:28 AM
Explain your jock theory, because no way in hell Benn is a better route runner or has better hands than Decker

Benn isn't that far behind Decker in either of those categories.

and also could be argued Decker is physically stronger and tougher than Benn.

No, it could not. Benn is so ripped it's almost scary.

Benn has the speed advantage, what else?

See above.

Benn is the next Anquan Boldin

STARHEATHER
10-14-2008, 12:06 PM
i think ive seen more than one "next jordy" on this guy. avoid like plague before rd 5

Babylon
10-14-2008, 12:38 PM
i think ive seen more than one "next jordy" on this guy. avoid like plague before rd 5

We are talking in 2010 right? I think if you look at other possesion receivers with his production in a major conferance then round 5 isnt accurate.

Joe Jurevicius (rd 2)
Jordy Nelson (rd 2)
Steve Smith,USC (rd 2)
Anthony gonzalez (rd 1)
Ricky Proehl (rd 3)

STARHEATHER
10-14-2008, 12:40 PM
whenever he comes out. avoid like the plague. will never be a great nfl wr. there will pro bowl wrs drafted behind him if someone uses a high pick. kind of like jordy

ElectricEye
10-14-2008, 12:42 PM
We are talking in 2010 right? I think if you look at other possesion receivers with his production in a major conferance then round 5 isnt accurate.

Joe Jurevicius (rd 2)
Jordy Nelson (rd 2)
Steve Smith,USC (rd 2)
Anthony gonzalez (rd 1)
Ricky Proehl (rd 3)

I wouldn't call Anthony Gonzalez a possession receiver by any means, but yeah, I agree with your point.

eaglesalltheway
10-14-2008, 12:43 PM
Big mistake mythbusta, all of draftcountdown-dom is going to rip you to shreds for doubting the god-beast that is zzzJordyzzz.

Babylon
10-14-2008, 12:44 PM
whenever he comes out. avoid like the plague. will never be a great nfl wr. there will pro bowl wrs drafted behind him if someone uses a high pick. kind of like jordy

I'm trying to point out the reality of where he will be taken. You can say there will be pro bowl players taken after any pick and be right pretty much all the time.

eaglesalltheway
10-14-2008, 12:45 PM
I'm trying to point out the reality of where he will be taken. You can say there will be pro bowl players taken after any pick and be right pretty much all the time.

You jsut revealed his plan for seeming intelligent, how dare you! ;)

STARHEATHER
10-14-2008, 12:48 PM
well, if thats the case then obviously he shouldnt have been picked higher than someone who goes to pro bowls. he wont be. just like jordy shouldnt have been picked in front of guys behind him that will go to pro bowls. so why take the chance theres a better player. just use a late pick and hopefully hell develop into a 3rd wr. rather than using a first day pick and watching some joe schmo you could have had tearing up the nfl.

eaglesalltheway
10-14-2008, 12:52 PM
well, if thats the case then obviously he shouldnt have been picked higher than someone who goes to pro bowls. he wont be. just like jordy shouldnt have been picked in front of guys behind him that will go to pro bowls. so why take the chance theres a better player. just use a late pick and hopefully hell develop into a 3rd wr. rather than using a first day pick and watching some joe schmo you could have had tearing up the nfl.

No one really knows what they are going to get out of a draft pick when they make the pick. If you honestly beleive teams pass up on someone who they think would help the team more just because someone is rated differently you need to get your **** together.

Sniper
10-14-2008, 12:53 PM
Jordy Nelson is third among rookie receivers in yards.

STARHEATHER
10-14-2008, 12:55 PM
i htink thats false. i think that personnel departments in the know see exactly what theyre getting a good majority of the time. i dont leave things to happenstance or hoping. i see what this guy is. and its a player worthy of a rd 5 who could develop into a 3rd wr

eaglesalltheway
10-14-2008, 12:56 PM
Let me guess, one of them (if not both) was picked ahead of him as well. Wow mythbusta, you sure proved us wrong...

STARHEATHER
10-14-2008, 12:56 PM
desean jackson, selected behind jordy, is first i believe along with the punt returns etc. do you see now?

eaglesalltheway
10-14-2008, 12:58 PM
i htink thats false. i think that personnel departments in the know see exactly what theyre getting a good majority of the time. i dont leave things to happenstance or hoping. i see what this guy is. and its a player worthy of a rd 5 who could develop into a 3rd wr

I'm sure the chargers picked Ryan leaf where they did because they expected him to blow up in their face like that. You're totally right man, my bad.

Fact is, you are not a member of any team or a scout, and your opinion isn't reliable.

Sorry Charger fans, but I think you're over it by now.

Sniper
10-14-2008, 12:58 PM
desean jackson, selected behind jordy, is first i believe along with the punt returns etc. do you see now?

DeSean Jackson has also been given the opportunity to start right away due to injuries to Kevin Curtis and Reggie Brown. Green Bay has the NFL leader in yards in Greg Jennings and Donald Driver is also a very good WR.

Babylon
10-14-2008, 12:59 PM
Jordy Nelson is third among rookie receivers in yards.

Saw him against my lowely Seahawks on Sunday and he loooked pretty good, runs good routes and has real nice hands. He seems to be able to get the extra yards also. Would have liked to have seen him with Brett, Rodgers doesnt look to go down the field as much i dont think.

eaglesalltheway
10-14-2008, 12:59 PM

They are completely different players, and Jordy went after DeSean, I'm almost sure of it. Punt return yards is completely useless in the argument of Jordy as a WR.

Sniper
10-14-2008, 01:01 PM
Saw him against my lowely Seahawks on Sunday and he loooked pretty good, runs good routes and has real nice hands. He seems to be able to get the extra yards also. Would have liked to have seen him with Brett, Rodgers doesnt look to go down the field as much i dont think.

Lowly, not lowely.

And Nelson with Favre would have been sick.

Sniper
10-14-2008, 01:02 PM
They are completely different players, and Jordy went after DeSean, I'm almost sure of it. Punt return yards is completely useless in the argument of Jordy as a WR.

You would be incorrect. Jordy went 36th, DeSean 49th. Nelson was the third WR picked after Donnie Avery and Devin Thomas.

STARHEATHER
10-14-2008, 01:03 PM
hes blowing up the nfl. there it is again. someone elses fault someone got hurt. bottom line hes better than the guys that got hurt. hes been a top 10 nfl wr the entire year. so you could have had d jackson or you could have j nelson. you can have e decker or you can have joe schmo whos going to blow up the league. you know e decker isnt going to blow it up. just like jordy never will.

eaglesalltheway
10-14-2008, 01:03 PM
You would be incorrect. Jordy went 36th, DeSean 49th.

For some reason I thought Jordy went 56th or something. Either way, it still proves nothing. It isn't like we have a 6th round pick who is blowing up the league. And it certainly isn't like the teams expected a 6th round pick to do so.

Sniper
10-14-2008, 01:04 PM
hes blowing up the nfl. there it is again. someone elses fault someone got hurt. bottom line hes better than the guys that got hurt. hes been a top 10 nfl wr the entire year. so you could have had d jackson or you could have j nelson. you can have e decker or you can have joe schmo whos going to blow up the league. you know e decker isnt going to blow it up. just like jordy never will.

It's not an excuse, it's fact. If Nelson was thrust into the #1 receiver role if Jennings and Driver went down, his stats would be significantly higher. Please refrain from posting until you come up with something worth discussing.

eaglesalltheway
10-14-2008, 01:04 PM

Unless there is a time machine that you have hidden away, there is no way for you to know that.

Babylon
10-14-2008, 01:05 PM
Lowly, not lowely.

And Nelson with Favre would have been sick.

You remind me of some of the teachers i had in highschool that used to correct my grammar, and there was a lot to correct.

Sniper
10-14-2008, 01:06 PM
You remind me of some of the teachers i had in highschool that used to correct my grammar, and there was a lot to correct.

I apologize. Bad grammar and spelling get on my nerves.

Ozzy
10-14-2008, 02:09 PM
This is sad...way to stay on topic...

eaglesalltheway
10-14-2008, 02:11 PM
This is sad...

Elaborate, I am confused...

Babylon
10-14-2008, 02:20 PM
This is sad...way to stay on topic...

Gee hate to ruin your thread by doing some housekeeping as far as grammar goes.

Let me ask this question. What is Decker's interst level in baseball and better still is he good enough to actually go in that direction?

Ozzy
10-14-2008, 02:32 PM
Let me ask this question. What is Decker's interst level in baseball and better still is he good enough to actually go in that direction?I am not sure what his interest level is, and I am not a baseball scout either. He did not lead the Gophers in batting average, home runs or RBIs so must not be that great at it. However with how good of a athlete he is, he will be drafted somewhere.

Once had a friend who is into contacts and business tell me it is better to play baseball because one gets paid more money, are less likely to get injured and are more likely to have a long career if they are productive enough. Football there is less promised money, get paid generally less, it is arguably harder to make a team and the possibility of injury is much greater.

Not real sure Decker is a baseball guy though, if he was a pitcher than maybe, but outfielders I assume in baseball are a dime a dozen.

Babylon
10-14-2008, 04:11 PM
I am not sure what his interest level is, and I am not a baseball scout either. He did not lead the Gophers in batting average, home runs or RBIs so must not be that great at it. However with how good of a athlete he is, he will be drafted somewhere.

Once had a friend who is into contacts and business tell me it is better to play baseball because one gets paid more money, are less likely to get injured and are more likely to have a long career if they are productive enough. Football there is less promised money, get paid generally less, it is arguably harder to make a team and the possibility of injury is much greater.

Not real sure Decker is a baseball guy though, if he was a pitcher than maybe, but outfielders I assume in baseball are a dime a dozen.

Agree, the money seems more guaranteed in baseball if you're good. There have been a lot guys try it and fail, others succeeded.

positive;
Dave Winfield
Kirk Gibson

Not so good;
Danny Ainge
Josh Booty

others like John Elway sort of used it to get out of playing for the Colts but my take is he wasnt that good of a major league prospect. Grady Sizemore from my neck of the woods had letter of intent to play QB or safety at the U of Wash. but chose baseball. He was more of an option guy in highschool so i dont think his game would have translated to the NFL.

djp
10-14-2008, 05:52 PM
Eric Decker has already said he is going to focus on football and will return for another season.

I have written a report on Decker previously. Here it is.

ERIC DECKER, WR, MINNESOTA GOLDEN GOPHERS - 6'2'', 215 LB

Strengths : Decker is an extremely technical and polished receiver already. His biggest strength is his route-running. He is the most technical route runner in the Big 10, showing tremendous body control and sharp cuts. He has above-average to excellent hands. He also shows tremendous football sense, often breaking off of his route and coming back to the quarterback when needed. Can make the tough catch in traffic and take a hit.

Weaknesses : Decker does not have great timed speed, but has adequate football speed. Will most likely test poorly in the 40. Decker will not be a vertical receiver in the NFL. He is definitely a possession receiver. He is not great at breaking tackles, but he does show some elusiveness at times. His run blocking could use improvement, but has the frame, toughness, and basic technique to become excellent in this regard.

Summary : Eric Decker will be a very successful receiver in the NFL in the right system. The West Coast offense, in a place such as Seattle or Minnesota, would be the ideal fit for him. He will never be a #1 receiver but could become a solid #2. He grades out right now as anywhere between rounds 2-4, more than likely in the 3rd round.

STARHEATHER
10-14-2008, 06:01 PM
he should try baseball

Babylon
10-14-2008, 06:29 PM
Eric Decker has already said he is going to focus on football and will return for another season.

I have written a report on Decker previously. Here it is.

I dont think timed speed is going to hurt him much from what i've seen. There have been a lot of players who didnt time very well at the combine. Guys like Plaxico Burress, Larry Fitzgerald, Malcolm Kelley. You need to run good crisp routes, have great hands and be able to react to the thrown ball.

jared
10-15-2008, 10:34 AM
I wish you were right Babylon but there's this searing image of Mike Hass forever burned into my memory. He won the Biletnikoff. Now where is he?

etk
10-15-2008, 08:06 PM
There's lots of Jurevicius and Muhammad types in the NFL. Decker can make it just fine if he establishes himself in that sort of role.

Dwayne Jarrett was a 2nd round pick....

Sniper
10-15-2008, 08:44 PM
There's lots of Jurevicius and Muhammad types in the NFL. Decker can make it just fine if he establishes himself in that sort of role.

Dwayne Jarrett was a 2nd round pick....

Dwayne Jarrett was also a god in college.

ToldLikeItIs
10-15-2008, 08:48 PM
Mythbusta, a little racist are we?

What were your thoughts on Ed Mccaffrey?

etk
10-19-2008, 09:32 AM
Dwayne Jarrett was also a god in college.

What player isn't a god on USC?

Babylon
10-19-2008, 11:44 AM
What player isn't a god on USC?

Great point, pretty much on all campuses but especially at SC where guys get all the perks you could imagine.