PDA

View Full Version : Alexander a Redskin?

AntoinCD
10-14-2008, 11:37 AM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2008/10/13/alexander-will-visit-redskins/

Will he bring anything to the 'Skins or will he take 3 or 4 carries a game just?

SeanTaylorRIP
10-14-2008, 02:39 PM
Well I don't care much for this signing at all, but obviously it's news any time you sign a recent league MVP. I understand Ladell Betts is slightly injured and Zorn coached Alexander to his MVP years, but still doesn't make much sense. From what I am hearing is that Betts injury is not serious at all. 1-2 week thing at most. I thought Rock Cartwright would be able to take those few carries fine. I would even be in big support of bringing back Marcus Mason off the Ravens practice squad as he knows the system. We need a 3rd down scat back to give relief to Portis. Alexander doesn't exactly fit that. All I know is that he better not steal any goalline carries from Portis. But hey who knows, if he looks any where near to what he did a few years back he and Betts giving relief to Portis could be pretty scary considering how good the run game already is. Too bad this couldn't be the Shaun Alexander and Jason Taylor of a few years back.

Menardo75
10-14-2008, 02:49 PM
Why do you need him Rock Cartwright is all that is man.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-14-2008, 03:27 PM
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/10/14/redskins-sign-shaun-alexander

It's official. 1 year deal. Can't say I really care about this trade but hating Ladell Betts there can't be much harm in a one year deal for a former MVP.

HChu
10-14-2008, 03:33 PM
And we sign the Plack! Ryan Plackemeier baby! It only came two years late and through free agency and not the draft, but we got the punter I wanted all along. The Alexander signing can only have a positive effect, if he does well then great signing. If not, we cut him and we get Betts back. Win-Win situation here.

703SKINS202
10-14-2008, 03:47 PM
And we sign the Plack! Ryan Plackemeier baby! It only came two years late and through free agency and not the draft, but we got the punter I wanted all along. The Alexander signing can only have a positive effect, if he does well then great signing. If not, we cut him and we get Betts back. Win-Win situation here.

I suppose but I agree more with st21 and would rather get Marcus Mason back cause it would be better to have a quick back to spell Portis.

HChu
10-14-2008, 03:49 PM
True, Marcus Mason is amazing, but then I would've been left in heartbreak when we had to re-cut him again after Betts came back. Shaun Alexander on the other hand, I wouldn't have lost a wink of sleep if he fell into a hole and died a week or so ago.

703SKINS202
10-14-2008, 03:54 PM
True, Marcus Mason is amazing, but then I would've been left in heartbreak when we had to re-cut him again after Betts came back. Shaun Alexander on the other hand, I wouldn't have lost a wink of sleep if he fell into a hole and died a week or so ago.

Yea but we all know how hard Portis plays and he constantly needs breathers and for all the Betts haters I think he is a great compliment to Portis. Now all we have to bring in is probably an old turtle in Alexander, Cartwright or Sellers. None with ideal speed. That's why Mason I think would be much better.

Matthew Jones
10-14-2008, 04:00 PM
I agree with everyone that Marcus Mason would have been a better pickup but I am loving Shaun Alexander down here in Washington D.C. I mean, I love Alexander, he's a great guy, and hopefully I'll get to see him play before Betts comes back and kicks him off the roster (assuming he plays like he did towards the end of his career with Seattle.)

illmatic74
10-14-2008, 04:24 PM
I agree with everyone that Marcus Mason would have been a better pickup but I am loving Shaun Alexander down here in Washington D.C. I mean, I love Alexander, he's a great guy, and hopefully I'll get to see him play before Betts comes back and kicks him off the roster (assuming he plays like he did towards the end of his career with Seattle.) Not only did he lose his physical skills but last year he just ran soft.

DiG
10-14-2008, 04:32 PM
Not only did he lose his physical skills but last year he just ran soft.

not disagreeing with this. im hopin that he feels like he has something to prove coming back and taking this long to sign with a team. hes not going to get more than 5 or so touches a game for a good while so hopefully he makes the best of them.

BlindSite
10-14-2008, 04:46 PM
Alexander can't do any harm, I mean he's at least an average pass blocker and he can put up some yards when on his A game.

illmatic74
10-14-2008, 05:10 PM
Alexander can't do any harm, I mean he's at least an average pass blocker and he can put up some yards when on his A game. he as always been a bad blocker.

PoopSandwich
10-14-2008, 05:17 PM
he as always been a bad blocker.

Yeah thats what I thought, isn't he really soft?

BlindSite
10-14-2008, 05:36 PM
He's a soft runner and a useless receiver, but he's not too bad as a pass blocker. Its contrary to what most people think, but I saw a lot of seahawk games during his prime, thanks to the ****** coverage of the NFL out here and he wasn't by any stretch a bad blocker.

ChezPower4
10-14-2008, 05:43 PM
He's a soft runner and a useless receiver, but he's not too bad as a pass blocker. Its contrary to what most people think, but I saw a lot of seahawk games during his prime, thanks to the ****** coverage of the NFL out here and he wasn't by any stretch a bad blocker.

He's a good runner when he has an o-line....... but who isn't :D

awfullyquiet
10-14-2008, 06:08 PM
ESPN Reports that Alexander signs a 1 year deal with the skins.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3643513

SeanTaylorRIP
10-14-2008, 07:24 PM
I see no harm in the signing. Betts is only out a couple weeks. Cartwright and Sellers can handle relieving Portis if Alexander doesn't do the job. At the worst, if he sucks we can cut him at any time this year even before Betts comes back. Regardless if he sucks we could see him cut within the next 2 weeks.

Brent
10-14-2008, 09:14 PM
He's been done for like 2 years. I dont think he's going to contribute much.

Vox Populi
10-14-2008, 10:43 PM
I'm not sure if this was completely necessary. I thought Rock Cartwright was a relatively okay option in the back field. Hes a little truck out there with his compact frame and speed. A less exposed and utilized back like Mojo and Sproles. I always liked him and Sellers and think both of them are under appreciated among most fans.

M.O.T.H.
10-14-2008, 10:52 PM
Guess he wont be hanging out at all the Bama games now.

Atleast he's finally on a team. How the mighty have fallen.

703SKINS202
10-14-2008, 10:57 PM
I'm not sure if this was completely necessary. I thought Rock Cartwright was a relatively okay option in the back field. Hes a little truck out there with his compact frame and speed. A less exposed and utilized back like Mojo and Sproles. I always liked him and Sellers and think both of them are under appreciated among most fans.

no they are not you are fail

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
10-14-2008, 11:21 PM
Alexander has, or had, great vision, so when he got the holes he was better than most who got the holes. But with most backs that have vision as their best attribute, he isn't gonna do much without an OL. Skins seem to have a good enough OL, he'll be a solid pickup.

Menardo75
10-14-2008, 11:45 PM
Seriously why would they take away from Rock dude is a man amongst mortals.

Rayray52
10-15-2008, 12:55 AM
All the redskins have to do is trade for hutchinson and jones and hell be leauge mvp again....

703SKINS202
10-15-2008, 12:59 AM
All the redskins have to do is trade for hutchinson and jones and hell be leauge mvp again....

Yea well we have Portis...

stephenson86
10-15-2008, 05:12 AM
bring back trung

21ST
10-15-2008, 06:34 AM
bring back trung

jesus no cant deal with that again

SeanTaylorRIP
10-15-2008, 08:21 AM

Well his man on the O-line at Bama was Chris Samuels so he at least has that. Oh yeah and Cornelius Griffin was on that team also.

FloridaSkinzFan
10-15-2008, 11:37 AM
I'm not going to jump all over Alexander and claim hes the greatest thing now that the skins signed him. Point is, even during his MVP season I was and to this day am still convinced that Shaun Alexander is the most overrated softest running back in the league. Sit down and watch a seahawks game from 2003-2006, he runs through these holes you could drive a truck through and he looks good. Alexander will be cut when Betts is healthy, quote me on that.

Canadian_draft_fan
10-15-2008, 11:43 AM
I'm not going to jump all over Alexander and claim hes the greatest thing now that the skins signed him. Point is, even during his MVP season I was and to this day am still convinced that Shaun Alexander is the most overrated softest running back in the league. Sit down and watch a seahawks game from 2003-2006, he runs through these holes you could drive a truck through and he looks good. Alexander will be cut when Betts is healthy, quote me on that.
Christ, i hope so!!

DiG
10-15-2008, 12:21 PM
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/red...y_to_play.html

Alexander's Ready to Play

Jason La Canfora reports:

Shaun Alexander has been out of football since the end of last season, but says he expects to play Sunday against Cleveland, backing up Clinton Portis.

"That's the plan," Alexander said. "I'll be ready."

Alexander said his ties to Jim Zorn, Stump Mitchell, Chris Samuels (a college teammate) and Portis (they became friends at a Pro Bowl) made the Redskins an obvious choice for him.

"It just fits," he said."I'm really excited."

Alexander said he is fully healthy for the first time since 2005 - "for the first time I finally got to heal all the way up," he said - and that when Mitchell called Monday to ask if he was in shape and ready to work out for the Skins, he leaped at the opportunity, getting his three young daughters excited to move here from Seattle.

Alexander was still not healthy this spring, so he said the delay in being signed was not a huge surprise.

"Football is a business, and everyhody had to put their team together," he said. "I had to sit and wait my time that way."

FloridaSkinzFan
10-15-2008, 12:54 PM
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/red...y_to_play.html

Alexander's Ready to Play

Jason La Canfora reports:

Shaun Alexander has been out of football since the end of last season, but says he expects to play Sunday against Cleveland, backing up Clinton Portis.

"That's the plan," Alexander said. "I'll be ready."

Alexander said his ties to Jim Zorn, Stump Mitchell, Chris Samuels (a college teammate) and Portis (they became friends at a Pro Bowl) made the Redskins an obvious choice for him.

"It just fits," he said."I'm really excited."

Alexander said he is fully healthy for the first time since 2005 - "for the first time I finally got to heal all the way up," he said - and that when Mitchell called Monday to ask if he was in shape and ready to work out for the Skins, he leaped at the opportunity, getting his three young daughters excited to move here from Seattle.

Alexander was still not healthy this spring, so he said the delay in being signed was not a huge surprise.

"Football is a business, and everyhody had to put their team together," he said. "I had to sit and wait my time that way."

I really find it funny how Alexander is acting like he got to choose from all these teams that wanted his greatness and he selected the redskins. LOL :roll:

SeanTaylorRIP
10-15-2008, 03:35 PM
Yeah I know it's funny as hell, he's acting like he's gonna split carries with CP. We will use him as much as we used TJ Duckett, basically which was not at all. Funny interview though, CP is funny as ish:
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80ba97a9

BTW Shaun Alexander is no doubt Rudy G.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
10-15-2008, 03:56 PM
I really find it funny how Alexander is acting like he got to choose from all these teams that wanted his greatness and he selected the redskins. LOL :roll:

Adam Schefter is reporting that Alexander actually had a multi-year deal on the table from the Lions.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80ba66a7&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true (http://www.rickrolling.com/)

ChezPower4
10-15-2008, 04:28 PM
Adam Schefter is reporting that Alexander actually had a multi-year deal on the table from the Lions.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80ba66a7&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true (http://www.rickrolling.com/)

I think it was a smart move to turn that deal down. Seeing that he would have had no chance to win in Detriot.