10-14-2008, 01:54 PM
Zierlein and Arians need to go..

Who replaces them?

My opinion:

OC: Norm Chow(UCLA) Galen Hall (PSU)
OL: Stacy Searles (UGA/LSU)

mikehop05
10-14-2008, 02:17 PM
I dont know... Ben likes BA, and imo the problem for the offensive line is not the scheme, it is the execution

But back to the BA thing... Ben and BA have a pretty good relationship, BA not be the best play caller, but it is really important that your franchise, stud QB and your OC respect each other and get along well.

And imo both of those replacements do not adjust well into the NFL, we cannot run the spread like the do in college, Chow may be a little better suited than Hall but even still if we do make a change I would rather have Mike Malarkey back than one of these guys.

Mr. Stiller
10-14-2008, 02:18 PM
I dont know... Ben likes BA, and imo the problem for the offensive line is not the scheme, it is the execution

But back to the BA thing... Ben and BA have a pretty good relationship, BA not be the best play caller, but it is really important that your franchise, stud QB and your OC respect each other and get along well.

And imo both of those replacements do not adjust well into the NFL, we cannot run the spread like the do in college, Chow may be a little better suited than Hall but even still if we do make a change I would rather have Mike Malarkey back than one of these guys.

Mularkey? No way.

brat316
10-14-2008, 02:21 PM
We need an OC that knows what the power running game is. BA is just a horrible play caller.

Mr. Stiller
10-14-2008, 02:40 PM
We need an OC that knows what the power running game is. BA is just a horrible play caller.

Ok..

Here's where I'll ask you to take a deep breath and rethink.

How would we manifest a power running game?

With our 210lb 4.3 Speed RB that does best on the edge?
With our 215lb 4.44 Backup RB that does best in space?
With our 205lb 4.59 Third Down back that does well as a receiver and a few draws?

You really want to bring a "Power Running Offense" to a team with a finesse OL and a speed oriented backfield?

Isn't that what Arians is doing with Parker?

Add the fact that you have one of the highest (I think #2) Paid QB's in the league.. why not make a Balanced spread style offense oriented around him?

brat316
10-14-2008, 02:51 PM
Just not fan of the spread thats all. How bout a Balance run.

mikehop05
10-14-2008, 03:46 PM
I wasn't saying I want Mularkey back, just that I would rather have him than Chow or Galen

Loggerhead
10-14-2008, 04:36 PM
This is going to sound crazy but I think once Nolan and Martz get canned in San Fran we should hire Martz. In Detroit and so far in San Fran he has done a lot with nada. He has San Fran up to TWELTH in the league in points. Their offense sucked balls last year and Martz has now has them scoring 23.5 a game. He utilizes the talent around him better then any other offensive coordinator in the league and his players love playing for him. People mention the relationship about BA and Big Ben and I think Martz and him would have a great one too. Kitna and most of the offense said great things about him when he left except for Tatum Bell who is a turd. I think we have the personell for Martz to take the next level and BA is holding us back.

mikehop05
10-14-2008, 04:42 PM
This is going to sound crazy but I think Nolan and Martz are going to get canned in San Fran. I would love to have Martz as OC. In Detroit and so far in San Fran he has done a lot with nada. He has San Fran up to TWELTH in the league in points. Their offense sucked balls last year and Martz has now has them scoring 23.5 a game. He utilizes the talent around him better then other offensive coordinator in the league, his players love playing for him. People mention the relationship about BA and Big Ben and I think Martz and him would have a great one too. Kitna and most of the offense said great things about him when he left except for Tatum Bell who is a turd. I think we have the personell for Martz to take the next level and BA is holding us back.

Disagree entirely, we are still a team that likes to run the ball, and thats just not Martz's style. We dont have the type of back to catch the ball out of the backfield like he does with Gore, and before with Faulk... the guy is an ego-maniac and i dont want that type of attitude with this team.

Loggerhead
10-14-2008, 06:07 PM
Dude right now Gore has 524 yards and is averaging 4.9 ypc. If we got a Martz I don't think the running game would suffer, I think it would improve because opponents would focus on stopping our passing game. Next year Sweed should be good to go which means we should go three wide IMO. With Martz at the helm I think we would have one hell of an offense.

Mr. Stiller
10-14-2008, 06:14 PM
Dude right now Gore has 524 yards and is averaging 4.9 ypc. If we got a Martz I don't think the running game would suffer, I think it would improve because opponents would focus on stopping our passing game. Next year Sweed should be good to go which means we should go three wide IMO. With Martz at the helm I think we would have one hell of an offense.

Eh, I think Martz is basically Bruce Arians, just iwthout the ******** runs up the middle.

THere's a reason he got fired in Detroit & St. Louis

mikehop05
10-14-2008, 06:53 PM

Parker was averaging 87.7 yds a game before his injury, Gore is averaging 87.3.

Loggerhead
10-14-2008, 07:30 PM
My point wasn't to compare Willie to Gore. Gore is almost averaging 5 ypc while Fast Willie averages 4.0, and they are 2 totally different types of backs. What I was saying is that people were bitching about Martz not running the ball enough and so far this year I'd say San Fran has had a very effective running game. He was fired in Detroit because Millen/Marinelli needed a scapegoat and was fired in St. Louis because he had issues with the Rams FO namely Jay Zygmunt.

mikehop05
10-14-2008, 09:04 PM
My point wasn't to compare Willie to Gore. Gore is almost averaging 5 ypc while Fast Willie averages 4.0, and they are 2 totally different types of backs. What I was saying is that people were bitching about Martz not running the ball enough and so far this year I'd say San Fran has had a very effective running game. He was fired in Detroit because Millen/Marinelli needed a scapegoat and was fired in St. Louis because he had issues with the Rams FO namely Jay Zygmunt.

He gets fired because he is a prick. I am not saying he isn't talented, but we don't need a guy like him coming in demanding things be done his way and quite possibly pissing ben off.

skarocksoi
10-15-2008, 09:38 PM
Big no on Galen Hall. He's as bad as Arians in my opinion. Horrible playcalls at horrible times and is completely unimaginative. Plus, its a question as to who even created the plays in PSU's Spread HD package; him or Jay Paterno. I believe they split the playcalling duties too. Galen's two best years in the past several have been 2005 and now 2008; two years with talented, athletic QB's that can make plays when things break down.

DeathbyStat
10-16-2008, 11:41 AM
Big no on Galen Hall. He's as bad as Arians in my opinion. Horrible playcalls at horrible times and is completely unimaginative. Plus, its a question as to who even created the plays in PSU's Spread HD package; him or Jay Paterno. I believe they split the playcalling duties too. Galen's two best years in the past several have been 2005 and now 2008; two years with talented, athletic QB's that can make plays when things break down.

Galen Hall is awfull

Mr. Stiller
10-16-2008, 08:45 PM

Isn't that what our team is actually kind of Geared for?

And I think the Paterno's have had Hall pretty restricted in his playcalling in between those 2 years.

You just don't have 2 great seasons that sporadically. Lets not forget Morelli was one of the Worst QB's I've ever seen.

Mr. Stiller
10-28-2008, 02:45 PM
We need an OC to setup the Pass with the Run and vice versa. We have the Tools to run a 2005-2006 Indy Offense.

Reliable Vet WR... Check
Speedy Young WR... Check
Speedy Young #3... Check
Shifty RB... Check (MeMo)
Pass Cathing TE Threat.. Check
Backup Pass Catching TE. THreat... Check

Then we have Parker, Mendenhall, Sweed on top of that.

How there can't be 1 guy out there that could make this an elite offense with an identity is pathetic.

brat316
10-28-2008, 03:53 PM
Washington need to be resigned for next year, so number 3 is up in the air right now.

Most important thing for that offense to have success is an O-line that can block.

Mr. Goosemahn
10-28-2008, 05:20 PM
I think we should take a look at someone from the Tennessee Volunteers. Not sure if it would be their o-line coach or their offensive coordinator, but I know they gave up only 3 sacks to QB Erik Ainge during the 2007 season. Ainge ended up with 325 completions out of 519 attempts, 3522 yards, 31 TD's, 10 INT', and a QB rating of 135.48.

Mr. Stiller
10-28-2008, 05:45 PM
Washington need to be resigned for next year, so number 3 is up in the air right now.

Most important thing for that offense to have success is an O-line that can block.

Part of that goes to Coaching.

You scheme around what talent you have.

When you have an OL that struggles holding the pass rush for long, you utilize quicker routes and faster developing plays.

You utilize Screen adn 3 step drops.

Whens the last time we ran a successful Screen or Stayed utilizing the quick pass to ward off the rush.

Loggerhead
10-28-2008, 06:02 PM
OL- Tom Cable. Al Davis is going to can him and he has done wanders for Oaklands OL.

Mr. Stiller
10-29-2008, 12:28 AM
OL- Tom Cable. Al Davis is going to can him and he has done wanders for Oaklands OL.

I'm between Cable and Stacy Searles of Georgia..

OC:

Norm Chow (OC UCLA)
Brian Billick (Analyst)
Scott Linehan (Free Agent)
Tony Franklin (Fired from Auburn)
Steve Logan (Boston College)

Hines
10-30-2008, 11:49 AM
Lane Kiffen OC

awfullyquiet
10-30-2008, 12:08 PM
i think they're both going to stay.

sorry. that's just the way it goes.

Loggerhead
11-04-2008, 06:30 PM
Franklin and Chow are horrible choices for OC. Chow didn't do very well in Tennessee and how is Franklin's system going to work in the pros? For OC in no particular order:
David Lee: I like what he is doing on the Dolphins, he brought the Wildcat system there and is a great QB coach.
Al Saunders- I think he will be fired from St. Louis, he put together effective attacks in KC and WAS.
Scott Linehan- Was effective as OC in Miami and Minnesota.

brat316
11-04-2008, 08:28 PM
Lane Kiffen

SeanTaylorRIP
11-04-2008, 08:42 PM
Franklin and Chow are horrible choices for OC. Chow didn't do very well in Tennessee and how is Franklin's system going to work in the pros? For OC in no particular order:
David Lee: I like what he is doing on the Dolphins, he brought the Wildcat system there and is a great QB coach.
Al Saunders- I think he will be fired from St. Louis, he put together effective attacks in KC and WAS.

No his offense in Washington was awful, just like to clear that up. We were better even with Gibbs calling plays. I don't think he's a good fit for Big Ben either. The thing about Saunders though is you need far more than a year or 2 until you can judge him because his system really takes that long to learn, and even longer to master.

Mr. Stiller
11-05-2008, 12:01 AM

Chow had 0 talent in Tennessee and is a great guy with a QB (Other than McNair there was 0 talent between 2005-2007 on the Titans)

Franklin.. It's a decent styled spread offense, which is becoming more prominent in the pro's and we're already running a goofy ass version of the spread.

Not a fan of David Lee. I could care less about the wildcat.

Linehan I'm skeptical, I mean, his team did just want to mutiny.

Saunders is not a good coach for Ben.

Kiffin may be the best choice, but He could have any college coaching job he wants IMO.. I can't see him becoming our OC.

Loggerhead
11-05-2008, 12:26 AM
Chow ran a very conservative offense that I didn't think was really catered to his players strengths. Chow was actually hired after Steve McNair's last year with them.
Linehan did wonders with Miami's O and that was with Gus Frerotte at QB.
The reason I pointed out the Wild Cat in relation to Lee is to show that he does a good job of utilizing his players strengths.
I like Kiffen but his O runs a zone blocking scheme which we don't have the personell for and runs a version of the WCO.

Mr. Stiller
11-05-2008, 01:27 AM
Chow ran a very conservative offense that I didn't think was really catered to his players strengths. Chow was actually hired after Steve McNair's last year with them.
Linehan did wonders with Miami's O and that was with Gus Frerotte at QB.
The reason I pointed out the Wild Cat in relation to Lee is to show that he does a good job of utilizing his players strengths.
I like Kiffen but his O runs a zone blocking scheme which we don't have the personell for and runs a version of the WCO.

Dude? We utilize a lot of ZBS.

And I'm not sure a hybrid Smashmouth/WCO wouldn't be the solution. Look what Zorn did with a Strong ground game and some tastes here and there of the WCO?

SCSteeler
11-10-2008, 11:37 PM
Dude? We utilize a lot of ZBS.

And I'm not sure a hybrid Smashmouth/WCO wouldn't be the solution. Look what Zorn did with a Strong ground game and some tastes here and there of the WCO?

i like that thought, i'd hate to go straight West Coast, but a smashmouth/WC(with a little bit of deep balls) could be the identity that carries us into the new age!
i thought Arians was tryin that, but he seems so random?

i noticed Tom Jackson, from ESPN, started to mock the playcalling! even the outsiders are noticing.

do we really have a shot at Kiffin?

Mr. Stiller
11-11-2008, 12:05 AM
i like that thought, i'd hate to go straight West Coast, but a smashmouth/WC(with a little bit of deep balls) could be the identity that carries us into the new age!
i thought Arians was tryin that, but he seems so random?

i noticed Tom Jackson, from ESPN, started to mock the playcalling! even the outsiders are noticing.

do we really have a shot at Kiffin?

He's probably the hottest pick for a bunch of college positions.

I'm wondering about Charlie Weis.. He won't have many more years (If this one) at ND and the guy did know how to attack a defense and adjust in the 2nd half.

mikehop05
11-11-2008, 12:15 AM
I personally hope Gary Kubiak gets canned, then we pick him up.

He was the QB coach that helped Young turn into the QB he was at San Fran.

He was the QB coach / OC with the Broncos for 11 years, piling up great #'s, not to mention goo seasons.

Right now the Texans are struggling, which isn't surprising, but I don't think its the play calling, if he had the talent we do, we would be a lot better off than we are now.

CDub
11-11-2008, 12:24 AM
I personally hope Gary Kubiak gets canned, then we pick him up.

He was the QB coach that helped Young turn into the QB he was at San Fran.

He was the QB coach / OC with the Broncos for 11 years, piling up great #'s, not to mention goo seasons.

Right now the Texans are struggling, which isn't surprising, but I don't think its the play calling, if he had the talent we do, we would be a lot better off than we are now.

And he's also well schooled in the zone blocking scheme that Denver used to produce so many 1000 yd rushers over the yrs - and I think Willie would really excell in that 1 cut & go system.

mikehop05
11-11-2008, 12:41 AM
And he's also well schooled in the zone blocking scheme that Denver used to produce so many 1000 yd rushers over the yrs - and I think Willie would really excell in that 1 cut & go system.

I agree... the more I think about it... the more I see him fitting here.

CDub
11-11-2008, 03:29 PM
The problem w Kubiak and the zone blocking scheme is do we have the OL personell necessary to excell in that system.....I'm not so sure. Maybe he could develope some guys and maybe we draft a few others and maybe we get on the right page. Those are a lot of maybe's but Kubiak would def be worth a look if he gets canned.

2 other guys to think about:

Norv Turner - if the Chargers miss the playoffs by a wide margin and continue to look inept Norv may lose his job. Over time Turner has proven to be 2 things - 1. a great offensive coordinator - 2. a terrible head coach. In his time as an OC he has an excellent track record in terms of developing QB's as well as having solid running games.

or

and I know he'd never want to come back but...given the OL personell we have, the one guy who I think could get the most out of them is.....Russ Grimm.

Mr. Stiller
11-11-2008, 04:25 PM
The problem w Kubiak and the zone blocking scheme is do we have the OL personell necessary to excell in that system.....I'm not so sure. Maybe he could develope some guys and maybe we draft a few others and maybe we get on the right page. Those are a lot of maybe's but Kubiak would def be worth a look if he gets canned.

2 other guys to think about:

Norv Turner - if the Chargers miss the playoffs by a wide margin and continue to look inept Norv may lose his job. Over time Turner has proven to be 2 things - 1. a great offensive coordinator - 2. a terrible head coach. In his time as an OC he has an excellent track record in terms of developing QB's as well as having solid running games.

or

and I know he'd never want to come back but...given the OL personell we have, the one guy who I think could get the most out of them is.....Russ Grimm.

Grimm is not coming back. He felt he had the job and then got a call saying Tomlin got it.

I'm still debating Charlie Weis.

CDub
11-11-2008, 05:32 PM
Grimm is not coming back. He felt he had the job and then got a call saying Tomlin got it..

Yea I know - that's y I said it - but I was just stating that he's the one guy who I think could get the most out of our OL as it is currently constructed.

If we want to go w Kubiak we may have to wait a yr or 2 b4 our OL can really fit his scheme. Turner may be able to work with the current line however, cause it's pretty similar to what he had in SD last yr and he likes to use the more traditional I-formation w a blocking FB and use the run to set up the play action passing game.

Mr. Goosemahn
11-12-2008, 12:03 AM
OC:

Lane Kiffin
Gary Kubiak
Brian Billick
Scott Linehan
***Mike Martz*** - I know he's under contract for another season after this one ends, but if for some strange reason he's available for hire, I say we pursue him. I know people don't want him because he's got a huge ego, but let's face it, the man's a genius. He's produced great offenses with the Rams, Lions, and is starting to with the Niners, and during his tenure with the last two teams he was working with horrible players (from the Lions the only good player was Roy Williams, and now with the Niners he's pretty much just got Frank Gore and Vernon Davis, although he's incorporating his old stellar receiver, Isaac Bruce). I believe that with our players he'd come up with an offense similar to the one he had with the Rams. A quarterback with an accurate and powerful arm, two receivers who can stretch the field (Holmes and Washington), a slot receiver with extremely secure hands (who can also deliver huge blocks), great blocking and receiving tight ends (both Miller and Spaeth, as we saw Spaeth play vs. the Colts), and a fast runningback (Willie), a strong back who delivers hard hits (Mendenhall), and a versatile runningback who is just as good catching the ball as he is running it (Moore). He'd only have to fix the O-Line, conjure some schemes, and we'd be the most feared team in football.

O-Line Coach:

Tom Cable - Oakland Raiders O-Line Coach/Interim Head Coach
Pat Ruel - USC O-Line Coach (helped create one of college's best offensive lines, and also has experience in the NFL, being with the Packers, Giants, and maybe other teams). Has produced great college O-Linemen like Sam Baker, Ryan Kalil, Chilo Rachal, and others.
Mike Markuson - Helped create the O-Lines that oppened holes for Darren McFadden and Felix Jones in Arkansas, and has brought on many great players, such as Tony Ugoh.
Stacy Searls - Considered one of the best O-Line coaches in the nation.

mikehop05
11-12-2008, 12:34 AM
OC:

Lane Kiffin
Gary Kubiak
Brian Billick
Scott Linehan
***Mike Martz*** - I know he's under contract for another season after this one ends, but if for some strange reason he's available for hire, I say we pursue him. I know people don't want him because he's got a huge ego, but let's face it, the man's a genius. He's produced great offenses with the Rams, Lions, and is starting to with the Niners, and during his tenure with the last two teams he was working with horrible players (from the Lions the only good player was Roy Williams, and now with the Niners he's pretty much just got Frank Gore and Vernon Davis, although he's incorporating his old stellar receiver, Isaac Bruce). I believe that with our players he'd come up with an offense similar to the one he had with the Rams. A quarterback with an accurate and powerful arm, two receivers who can stretch the field (Holmes and Washington), a slot receiver with extremely secure hands (who can also deliver huge blocks), great blocking and receiving tight ends (both Miller and Spaeth, as we saw Spaeth play vs. the Colts), and a fast runningback (Willie), a strong back who delivers hard hits (Mendenhall), and a versatile runningback who is just as good catching the ball as he is running it (Moore). He'd only have to fix the O-Line, conjure some schemes, and we'd be the most feared team in football.

O-Line Coach:

Tom Cable - Oakland Raiders O-Line Coach/Interim Head Coach
Pat Ruel - USC O-Line Coach (helped create one of college's best offensive lines, and also has experience in the NFL, being with the Packers, Giants, and maybe other teams). Has produced great college O-Linemen like Sam Baker, Ryan Kalil, Chilo Rachal, and others.
Mike Markuson - Helped create the O-Lines that oppened holes for Darren McFadden and Felix Jones in Arkansas, and has brought on many great players, such as Tony Ugoh.
Stacy Searls - Considered one of the best O-Line coaches in the nation.

I like Kubiak for the Offense.

I'm not necessarily ready to boot Z though, I don't know if our line problems are necessarily schematic as much as they are execution.

SCSteeler
11-12-2008, 11:46 PM
pretty good article from the Post Gazette about Arians playcalling.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08317/927137-66.stm

Mr. Stiller
11-12-2008, 11:57 PM
I like Kubiak for the Offense.

I'm not necessarily ready to boot Z though, I don't know if our line problems are necessarily schematic as much as they are execution.

I think it's both....

I want Stacy Searles because the guy has developed some of the better lines in the NCAA.

Or Emil Boures, but I'm sure Emil will be going whereever Russ Grimm gets a shot.

Add to the fact that Ruel I think is overrated because 1, Pac-10 doesn't really have that many good defenses, and he gets to handpick talent.

Menardo75
11-13-2008, 12:45 AM
Bring back Russ Grim boys! Kyle Shannahan might not be bad.

Mr. Stiller
11-13-2008, 12:50 AM
Bring back Russ Grim boys! Kyle Shannahan might not be bad.

Grimm won't come back and he's likely due for a HC job.

If he does, I'll be rooting for him.

Mr. Goosemahn
11-20-2008, 10:26 PM
After the last two games and the shift in our offensive playbooks, I think Arians stays. However, if he's let go for some reason, here's another candidate: Dennis Green. I know he runs a different type of offense (West Coast, I think), but he's had great offenses wherever he's been. The Cardinals offense right now is what it is mainly due to him. Just a thought. Though in such a case, I think I'd prefer Arians.

Mr. Stiller
11-22-2008, 08:44 AM
After the last two games and the shift in our offensive playbooks, I think Arians stays. However, if he's let go for some reason, here's another candidate: Dennis Green. I know he runs a different type of offense (West Coast, I think), but he's had great offenses wherever he's been. The Cardinals offense right now is what it is mainly due to him. Just a thought. Though in such a case, I think I'd prefer Arians.

WCO won't work in the weather we're going to have. I want something similar to what Zorn instilled.

Traditional power running team with traces of WCO Principles in... but not overly powerful.

Hines
11-29-2008, 10:48 AM
http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=coachbio&coach_id=25

This guy could help us get the ball to our tight end playmakers.

Hines
11-29-2008, 11:02 AM
3 OC's I would love to replace BA with:

Ricky Thomas TE coach at Indy
Charlie Weiss HC at Notre Dame
Ken Anderson QB coach for Steelers

Add James Lofton, WR coach for the Raiders, and Greg Napp, OC for the Raiders, to the list.

SCSteeler
11-29-2008, 05:19 PM
I like the thought of Ken Anderson! He knows Ben and what he's capable of, also that he needs a running game.

Does everyone else think that Arians future here has to do with how we do in the post season?

JonasBlane
12-09-2008, 04:44 PM
I really hope they don't base Arians' future on our team success. We're winning football games right now, but our offense clearly is lacking. With the team that we have right now, we have a shot at the SB. And that is WITH our inept offense. If he can turn the offense around, and make them at least adequate against good teams, then I think he should be considered for next season. If the offense keeps up the pace they're on though he has to go.

DeathbyStat
12-10-2008, 09:29 AM
I really hope they don't base Arians' future on our team success. We're winning football games right now, but our offense clearly is lacking. With the team that we have right now, we have a shot at the SB. And that is WITH our inept offense. If he can turn the offense around, and make them at least adequate against good teams, then I think he should be considered for next season. If the offense keeps up the pace they're on though he has to go.

Yes Arian's sucks bad but if our line doesn't get better it won't matter who the OC is.

Hines
01-12-2009, 01:39 AM
Just because he called one good game yesterday, doesn't mean I take Arians off the hook. I was doing some research. There are three guys I would love to have as my offensive cordinator. They are James Lofton, WR coach from Oakland, Randy Thomas, TE coach from Indy, and Turner Gill, head coach from Buffalo.

I really want Turner Gill because he has NFL coaching expirence and he helped build a bad college football team to a pretty good one in two years. He has a great offensive plan and could help our offense reach it's potential.

captainjack27
01-12-2009, 02:11 AM
Isn't that what our team is actually kind of Geared for?

And I think the Paterno's have had Hall pretty restricted in his playcalling in between those 2 years.

You just don't have 2 great seasons that sporadically. Lets not forget Morelli was THE Worst QB I've ever seen.

Fixed that for you lol. Morelli is the worst Quarterback since Johnathan f'in Quinn. I agree with you on Hall. I don't know if he's my first choice to replace Arians, but I'd consider him.

Cobra Commander
01-16-2009, 10:06 AM
The problem is not as much BA as the OL. It wouldn't matter if you had the best coach in the world they would still suck.

Mr. Stiller
01-16-2009, 02:34 PM
The problem is not as much BA as the OL. It wouldn't matter if you had the best coach in the world they would still suck.

Not true in the least.

There's talent on that line. The fact is their mis-utilized. They're learning to play in a ZBS primarily which, they're more man blockers. 2, we have a patchwork group..

Mauler - Mauler - Balanced - Finesse - Mauler. Thats just goofy. Get us a pretty physical RG and we're set. Or move our RT to RG and get a physical RT and this group is great.

The fact is there is several reasons..

1) Arians until the playoffs has refused from letting Ben snap the ball before the PC is near 0. So Ben has the most amount of time to comprehend the defense. Defenses know this.

2) Arians on multiple occasions has refused to utilize RB Screens, Slants, 1-step, 3-step drops and WR Screens to defeat the blitz. Philly was sending 6-8 guys and everytime he'd have Ben Playaction in a deep drop or 7 steps. with 8 guys you're down 3 blockers already. That has to be countered by a quick drop and a slant or hot read.

3) Arians refuses to play to his skills players strengths. He hasn't sent Holmes on many slants, for a guy with such a boner for TE's he rarely utilizes plays to Heath Miller or Matt Spaeth. Two excellent receivers. As for Parker he insists running him up the guy like he's the 2nd coming of Jerome Bettis. Refuses to get him the ball in space.

4) He's normally good the first 30 plays a game because he has them scripted... after that his playcalling normaly goes in the trash.

5) Ben/WR's are holding up the OL because 1 Ben tends to not anticipate the route being run therefore doesn't throw the ball before the WR is wide open in a zone (Normally taking 5-8 seconds). and the WR's tend not to get open. There's no hiding the fact that the Steelers receivers were praising Leftwich for getting the ball out quicker and in stride with their routes.

That said, I think the OL Coach (ZBS Fan) who's completely did a 180 on their Technique and Ken Anderson might be one to go. He's not really seeming to help on Roeth's development.