PDA

View Full Version : Final NFL Trade at the Deadline: Michael Bush ALMOST to the Chargers

Shane P. Hallam
10-15-2008, 12:16 AM
http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2008/oct/14/chargers-chartrade14162949/?chargers

Sproles contract is up at the end of the year though, so interesting that they were in talks.

Hines
10-15-2008, 12:21 AM
Rotoworld reported that the Raiders pulled out of the deal.

Xenos
10-15-2008, 12:21 AM
http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2008/oct/14/chargers-chartrade14162949/?chargers

Picks aren't out yet. Sproles contract is up at the end of the year though.

It's not a trade if it fell through.

Crickett
10-15-2008, 12:22 AM

Sproles contract is up at the end of the year though, so interesting that they were in talks.

Sounds more like a replacement for Michael Turner.

Shane P. Hallam
10-15-2008, 12:23 AM
I agree. They seem to be looking past LT. Could be a precursor to the draft? Could they look RB early?

LonghornsLegend
10-15-2008, 12:25 AM
At first i thought this happened, would of been another smart move by AJ Smith.

DMWSackMachine
10-15-2008, 03:05 AM
Yeah, they should have pushed it through. I like Bush a lot coming out. He had a real shot to go in the late 1st, imo, at one point. He shows a lot of promise right now, too.

LT is clearly no longer what he was (though he still may be very good). I would have liked the move. A Sproles/Bush combo could be very nice down the road.

10-15-2008, 03:26 AM
This move made zero sense for us, imo. I'm glad we pulled out of it.

Not to mention trading within the division ...

Bruce Banner
10-15-2008, 03:46 AM
I think we are selling LT short. His toe injury is hindering him more than most of you think.

10-15-2008, 03:52 AM
I think we are selling LT short. His toe injury is hindering him more than most of you think.

I'd applaud the Chargers if they were able to pull this off. Bush is a tremendous talent, no question. I'm just glad Al didn't pull the trigger since our RBs already have some moderate injury concerns of their own.

Bruce Banner
10-15-2008, 03:54 AM
I'd applaud the Chargers if they were able to pull this off. Bush is a tremendous talent, no question. I'm just glad Al didn't pull the trigger since our RBs already have some moderate injury concerns of their own.

My only concern about Bush is his running style. I've heard the term soft and skittish being used around his name. You can be a big boy but run small, look at Shaun Alexander.

Didn't LT say he was going to retire in 2 or 3 years?

Go_Eagles77
10-15-2008, 06:00 AM
I wish the eagles would've tried to get someone like Micheal Bush now that they cut Hunt.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-15-2008, 08:12 AM
I was a little surprised you cut Hunt especially with Westbrook's injury concerns. I know you have Correll and such but I loved Hunt coming into the league. I do feel he was used improperly as a FB. That was something I feared the Cardinals would do to Tim Hightower prior to the season.

Number 10
10-15-2008, 08:13 AM
I think Hunt will get a shot in SD now.

CC.SD
10-15-2008, 09:10 AM
Lot of questions in this thread:

1. LT said he will retire when his contract is up, after the 2011 season.
2. No, he's not old and ineffective. The fact is that we really just don't have a bruiser right now and Bush would have fit that bill. Right now the O-line is doing a terrible job run blocking, and throw in LT's injury and the absence of Lorenzo Neal and it's no surprise the Charger running game hasn't found its way yet.

I think the Chargers were looking for a way to give LT a couple weeks off before the bye to let his toe heal already. It didn't happen, which is a shame.

BTW I would have looooooved to have heard this phone call between AJ Smith and Al Davis.

Saints-Tigers
10-15-2008, 09:32 AM
I was hoping the Saints would make a move for Michael Bush. A future Bush/Bush Tandem would be a great thunder and lightning, and his receiving ability will make him fit right in here, we like to throw to the backs.

CC.SD
10-15-2008, 09:32 AM
I was hoping the Saints would make a move for Michael Bush. A future Bush/Bush Tandem would be a great thunder and lightning, and his receiving ability will make him fit right in here, we like to throw to the backs.

*Obligatory "Too much Bush" joke

Saints-Tigers
10-15-2008, 09:38 AM
Yeah, but it's black Bush.

http://www.chromemusic.de/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/BlackBush213.jpg

TitleTown088
10-15-2008, 10:00 AM
Packers ALMOST had Gonzo too. http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=806267

A source familiar with negotiations told the Journal Sentinel that Chiefs President Carl Peterson ultimately decided to retain Gonzalez after turning down the best offer from Green Bay, which was a third-round selection. The source said Peterson wanted a second-rounder to make the deal.

NIN1984
10-15-2008, 10:04 AM
I'm glad this didn't happen. McFadden and Fargas have been hurt almost all season. I think McFadden and Bush can do great things for the Raiders in the future. Someone must have talked Al out of this one.

bantx
10-15-2008, 10:34 AM
Al just fell asleep during the conversation and it never went through.

locseti
10-15-2008, 10:54 AM
If Al would have given him away for a second day pick, I hope Roger Goodell would have stepped in and vetoed the trade, citing unfit management.

Shane P. Hallam
10-15-2008, 10:55 AM
I doubt that, seeing as Bush was a second day pick.

10-15-2008, 11:05 AM
I doubt that, seeing as Bush was a second day pick.

First round talent. :)

No, but seriously I just wouldn't see the worth in a second day pick. Obviously you're not gonna fetch as much as you believe a player of his calibur / potential warrants so I think the correct decision was made by Raiders management for once.

Shane P. Hallam
10-15-2008, 12:07 PM
First round talent. :)

No, but seriously I just wouldn't see the worth in a second day pick. Obviously you're not gonna fetch as much as you believe a player of his calibur / potential warrants so I think the correct decision was made by Raiders management for once.

Actually, the Chargers nixed trade talks.

SuperKevin
10-15-2008, 12:12 PM
LT is clearly no longer what he was (though he still may be very good). I would have liked the move. A Sproles/Bush combo could be very nice down the road.

His injuries have completely taken away his ability to make hard cuts, making him virtually just a straightline runner at the moment. Throw in the fact that he played most of the season without Marcus McNeill and Nick Hardwick being healthy and it's a recipe for distaster. LT is still one of if not the games best running backs when healthy.

bantx
10-15-2008, 12:29 PM
His injuries have completely taken away his ability to make hard cuts, making him virtually just a straightline runner at the moment. Throw in the fact that he played most of the season without Marcus McNeill and Nick Hardwick being healthy and it's a recipe for distaster. LT is still one of if not the games best running backs when healthy.

Don't bother telling him that he'll still say hes getting old

LonghornsLegend
10-15-2008, 12:37 PM
If Al would have given him away for a second day pick, I hope Roger Goodell would have stepped in and vetoed the trade, citing unfit management.

LMFAO classic :D

CC.SD
10-16-2008, 11:06 AM
Actually, the Chargers nixed trade talks.

I hadn't heard that; the word from the union tribune is that Al backed out. I would have loved to have seen Bush in bolts just because I am pretty much off the Jacob Hester wagon.

LT is on the way back with his line finally intact and hopefully getting into a rhythm and his toe healing a bit. Despite what Madden said, LT was making some very fancy cuts towards the end of the game; he turned a couple guys inside out as I recall. He's gonna be A-OK.

BeerBaron
10-16-2008, 11:30 AM
wonder what this says about what the chargers think about Jacob Hester then... that was my first thought in it all.

Menardo75
10-16-2008, 11:49 AM
The Raiders would definintly be smart to hang on to Bush. Seems like Fargas and Mcfadden are always injured.

Paranoidmoonduck
10-16-2008, 12:16 PM
The Raiders would definintly be smart to hang on to Bush. Seems like Fargas and Mcfadden are always injured.

McFadden is 5 games into his NFL career. How could he be always anything?

CC.SD
10-16-2008, 03:46 PM

Yeah I remember back when McFadden was just starting out his career he was pretty healthy. He sure went downhill fast. He's lost a step. Injuries and bad blocking have limited his production; he must be old and washed up now.

Menardo75
10-16-2008, 06:03 PM

Well technically he has been so far lol.