PDA

View Full Version : Rhett Bomar and Nathan Brown

neko4
10-15-2008, 06:51 PM
Anybody have any film on these guys? Or know where I can watch them or something? Just by watching a few highlights and knowing Bomar was a top prospect I know he's fairly good and Ive heard good things about Brown, but I havent really seen too much of either and would like to watch them.

MetSox17
10-15-2008, 07:01 PM
Big Red Sports and Imports has a ton of video on Bomar...

Shane P. Hallam
10-15-2008, 07:01 PM
With the lack of senior QBs, either one could pop up. I think Nathan Brown could end up being the #2 or 3 QB in this draft (depending on Sophomores and Juniors who declare). Obviously I haven't seen much on him, but from all I have read, I'm intrigued.

As for Bomar, I wonder if he'll get a character tag. His indiscretion at Oklahoma won't exactly "apply" in the NFL. Will it affect his draft status at all?

Bengals78
10-15-2008, 07:14 PM
It shouldnt. I mean he took extra money from a job. OOOOOOOOH. He was a young kid who took a lot of money. He wasnt sellin drugs, breaking into homes, beating people, drinking in driving and such.

STARHEATHER
10-15-2008, 07:22 PM
im not sure i get the rhett bomar hype. he left, they got better. i remember him vaguely being short and not having a great throwing arm for the nfl level. isnt this the dude with the no work job at the car dealer? everywhere i see hes moving up boards. im not sure i get it

sodar21
10-15-2008, 07:24 PM
im not sure i get the rhett bomar hype. he left, they got better. i remember him vaguely being short and not having a great throwing arm for the nfl level. isnt this the dude with the no work job at the car dealer? everywhere i see hes moving up boards. im not sure i get it

He was also a true freshman.

STARHEATHER
10-15-2008, 07:28 PM
point being? did he grow or start throwing lasers?

Bengals78
10-15-2008, 07:33 PM
No but he is a senior and here's an idea...HE GOT BETTER OMGZZZZ!!!!

STARHEATHER
10-15-2008, 07:53 PM
maybe better against san angelo tech or whoever they play. but unless he sprouted a few inches or grew a laser rocket arm, im not sure what buzz is. thuis nathan brown guy is a runt too. 6 1 210. i think the freefall of painter harper etc are causing a mad scramble for senior qbs. if there arent any then there arent any. im not sure trying to find one of these dudes is the answer

Bengals78
10-15-2008, 08:09 PM
Youre right short QB's have no business in the NFL.
Drew Brees - 6'0
Tony Romo - 6'2
Brett Favre - 6'2
Jeff Garcia - 6'1
Jake Delhomme - 6'2
Kurt Warner - 6'2
Rhett Bomar - 6'2
Aaron Rodgers - 6'2
Steve Young - 6'2
Fran Tarkenton - 6'0
Bart Starr - 6'1
Joe Montana - 6'2

Youre right a 6'2 QB is useless

illmatic74
10-15-2008, 10:17 PM
It shouldnt. I mean he took extra money from a job. OOOOOOOOH. He was a young kid who took a lot of money. He wasnt sellin drugs, breaking into homes, beating people, drinking in driving and such. O.J Mayo was picked third in the NBA so you are right it won't matter

Bengals78
10-15-2008, 10:33 PM
O.J Mayo was picked third in the NBA so you are right it won't matter

And OJ is kind of an a$$ anyways. He went to a HS near mine and he was a d!ck to kids.

Babylon
10-15-2008, 11:00 PM
With the lack of senior QBs, either one could pop up. I think Nathan Brown could end up being the #2 or 3 QB in this draft (depending on Sophomores and Juniors who declare). Obviously I haven't seen much on him, but from all I have read, I'm intrigued.

As for Bomar, I wonder if he'll get a character tag. His indiscretion at Oklahoma won't exactly "apply" in the NFL. Will it affect his draft status at all?

First off he's listed at 6-2 and 215 to answer someone asking about size, that isnt an issue.

As for the character issue i think they will take a closer look at his interviews and the way he conducts himself at the combine. If he comes off as mature and as someone that has some smarts i think they give him a clean bill of health, sort of speak.

steelernation77
10-16-2008, 01:08 AM

While it may not appear to be something too morally reprehensible, Bomar did violate several agreements with the university and the NCAA by accepting that job. NCAA athletes sign agreements and attend seminars that explicitly state not to do what Bomar did, and he went out and did them anyway.

While he was young, if I owned an NFL team, I'd be cautious to draft a guy with a high pick that has a history of flouting agreements.

Babylon
10-16-2008, 11:34 AM
While it may not appear to be something too morally reprehensible, Bomar did violate several agreements with the university and the NCAA by accepting that job. NCAA athletes sign agreements and attend seminars that explicitly state not to do what Bomar did, and he went out and did them anyway.

While he was young, if I owned an NFL team, I'd be cautious to draft a guy with a high pick that has a history of flouting agreements.

The real issue is whether there is a pattern of misbehavior, i tend to want to give a 20 year old a second chance for just about anything within reason.

Bengals78
10-16-2008, 01:11 PM
I probably would have done the same thing if I was a 19-20 yr old with everybody telling me how great I am and someone offered me an easy job. Id be all over it. Yeah we know its a bad decision but being in his shoes makes it entirely different. Its a situational thing. Not a Pacman situation where he brings it on himself and is just an idiot half the time. He was a young kid who got caught up in things and made one bad choice. Does he have any other notches on his record?

Brent
10-16-2008, 01:16 PM
Does he have any other notches on his record?
He's pretty cocky. Also there is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ7yziFHCfU

I happen to like the him as a player but I am totally biased towards SHSU players, as a former student.

jnew76
10-16-2008, 01:18 PM
I went to school with OU's director of athletic compliance, and from our conversations, I will say that Bomar's problem was one of immaturity and a feeling of entitlement. That said, from those same conversations, I believe that Bomar does not have the intelligence to digest an NFL playbook. The kid is just "not very bright"

Babylon
10-16-2008, 03:37 PM
I went to school with OU's director of athletic compliance, and from our conversations, I will say that Bomar's problem was one of immaturity and a feeling of entitlement. That said, from those same conversations, I believe that Bomar does not have the intelligence to digest an NFL playbook. The kid is just "not very bright"

I think he did have a 3. something GPA while at Oklahoma plus you dont have to be Einstein to play QB at the pro level. Keep all this stuff in the context of Bomar probably an early second day pick. Some team isnt going to be investing multi million dollars here. That fact that these are inidents that happened several years ago probably give him an advantage also.

princefielder28
10-16-2008, 06:18 PM
Nathan Brown has had nice success at Central Arkansas, but his arm strength, or lack there of, conerns me.

jnew76
10-16-2008, 06:45 PM
Nathan Brown has had nice success at Central Arkansas, but his arm strength, or lack there of, conerns me.

I agree... He seems like a game-manager/back-up at the NFL level. He has a bit of a sidearm delivery as well. He is gritty and competitive. I like him as a late rounder UDFA. I have him rated higher than most as far as QB's go because the senior QB's from big programs in this draft are the worst I have ever seen. Garbage.

I also like

Mike Reilly - Central Washington - Best Senior QB IMO

Billy Malone - Abilene Christian - Could end up being best senior QB

neko4
10-16-2008, 07:48 PM
I agree... He seems like a game-manager/back-up at the NFL level. He has a bit of a sidearm delivery as well. He is gritty and competitive. I like him as a late rounder UDFA. I have him rated higher than most as far as QB's go because the senior QB's from big programs in this draft are the worst I have ever seen. Garbage.

I also like

Mike Reilly - Central Washington - Best Senior QB IMO

Billy Malone - Abilene Christian - Could end up being best senior QB
So Brown is kind of a Colt Brennan type.

I think he has 17 TDs and 2 Picks so far this season through 6 games

neko4
10-16-2008, 07:50 PM
Big Red Sports and Imports has a ton of video on Bomar...

Okay I just +repd you because I thought you actually answered the question, then i looked up the site...

BamaFalcon59
10-16-2008, 08:07 PM
What was wrong with it?

princefielder28
10-16-2008, 08:12 PM
So Brown is kind of a Colt Brennan type.

I think he has 17 TDs and 2 Picks so far this season through 6 games

Brown is nowhere near a Colt Brennan type; Brennan is a gun slinger, not a game manager

Nathan Brown is similar to Brad Johnson

illmatic74
10-16-2008, 08:28 PM

While he was young, if I owned an NFL team, I'd be cautious to draft a guy with a high pick that has a history of flouting agreements. But his situation is never really a problem with pro teams because since they are recieving a salary it won't matter.

STARHEATHER
10-16-2008, 08:50 PM
well, i mean if you think you can win super bowls with the "next drew brees". but more than likely youll have at best a 500 career record and one playoff win as the current drew brees has, at worst youre invading tyler thigpen land. by all means. pick away. take rhett bomar or nathan brown with that waste pick. there will be a pro bowl player maybe multiple pro bowl players taken after you wasted a pick on rhett bomar. but by all means please do. theres nothing better than a pro bowler falling in your lap after someone wasted a desperation pick on nathan brown

CLong4Heisman
10-16-2008, 08:52 PM
well, i mean if you think you can win super bowls with the "next drew brees". but more than likely youll have at best a 500 career record and one playoff win as the current drew brees has, at worst youre invading tyler thigpen land. by all means. pick away. take rhett bomar or nathan brown with that waste pick. there will be a pro bowl player maybe multiple pro bowl players taken after you wasted a pick on rhett bomar. but by all means please do. theres nothing better than a pro bowler falling in your lap after someone wasted a desperation pick on nathan brown

Are you seriously saying that Drew Brees is no good? If you are picking in the late portion of the 6th round why wouldnt you take a shot on Bomar or Brown?

STARHEATHER
10-16-2008, 09:41 PM
im saying you cant win championships at the nfl level with drew brees playing qb. and his 500 career record and one career playoff win says all that needs to be said. so if thats what youre shooting for. then by all means. i prefer my qbs to at least look like they ight be able to go to new england or pittsburgh in january and win a playoff game. not just be a fantasy hero becuase you throw it 40x per game. lots of stats not lots of winning for drew brees. so if you want a dude whos best possible top end potential is drew brees but more likely not even close to that good like rhett bomar, then you can make that selection and expect to contend for soft division championships, or you can maybe get a pro bowl player at another position.

princefielder28
10-16-2008, 09:54 PM
im saying you cant win championships at the nfl level with drew brees playing qb. and his 500 career record and one career playoff win says all that needs to be said. so if thats what youre shooting for. then by all means. i prefer my qbs to at least look like they ight be able to go to new england or pittsburgh in january and win a playoff game. not just be a fantasy hero becuase you throw it 40x per game. lots of stats not lots of winning for drew brees. so if you want a dude whos best possible top end potential is drew brees but more likely not even close to that good like rhett bomar, then you can make that selection and expect to contend for soft division championships, or you can maybe get a pro bowl player at another position.

hahaha....Drew Brees is one of the best QBs in this league and all you do is insult him. There's a reason why New Orleans has failed to put together a championship contender and that comes from their piss poor defense. If your offense is relied on every possession to score in order to win then you're in trouble and that is currently the case in the big Breesy

STARHEATHER
10-16-2008, 09:59 PM
his record says hes an average qb who doesnt get it done when it matters. i care about winning. who has the most yards or tds, doesnt matter all that much unless you win at a high level. brees doesnt, never has nor ever will. you can have him for your fantasy league thats fine. but believe hes going to take you anywhere near a title, well history says otherwise. i dont see rhett bomar or nathan brown being anything better so for me theyre not draftable prospects

CLong4Heisman
10-17-2008, 01:00 PM
Trent Dilfer won more super bowls than Dan Marino. Who's the better QB?

Iamcanadian
10-17-2008, 04:17 PM
Paraphrasing Pro Football Weekly

Nathan Brown, 6'13/4, 210lbs.
Very confident gunslinger with a nice touch and timing. Has a quick release and throws with a lot of zip. Not afraid to take off and run with the ball. Has escapability and is accurate on the move. Lacks ideal height. Sometimes he takes too many chances and will throw into coverage and his deep delivery is marginal. Has not been asked to make NFL-type reads where he has to drop, scan the field and work through progressions.
Natural leader with moxie but will require a lot of time to make the huge adjustment to the pro game. More suited to a WCO. He's hard working, productive and durable.

Rhett Bomar 6'21/2", 212lbs , twice cited for being in possession of alcohol as a minor. Confident strong armed passer whose competitiveness and swagger stand out on tape. Gunslinger mentality but "his arm is strong enough that he can fit the ball into small places."
Throws a tight spiral with zip. Shows good timing and anticipation, consistantly leads his receivers. He plays with emotion and has a strong on the field presence. Has the athletic ability and toughness to take off with the ball up the gut when his receivers are blanketed. Needs to learn how to slide when cornered on the run.
Has a very smooth delivery with good wrist snap and appears effortless in slinging the ball. Needs to show he is fully recovered from a knee injury suffered late last season.
If he has a great senior season, he will get a lot of legitimate interest from pro teams and will probably be the 1st senior QB chosen.

MetSox17
10-17-2008, 06:44 PM
Okay I just +repd you because I thought you actually answered the question, then i looked up the site...

I did answer the question. Look up the connection between Big Red Sports and Imports and the University of Oklahoma and you'll understand the joke.

Brent
10-17-2008, 06:55 PM
I did answer the question. Look up the connection between Big Red Sports and Imports and the University of Oklahoma and you'll understand the joke.
I think I was the only person that got it... so, kudos to you MetSox.

STARHEATHER
10-17-2008, 07:19 PM
it goes to character. you dont want the cnterpiece and most visible asset having questionable off field decision making. i myself dont think he really did anything wrong but in this universe we live in now, its an uneeded annoyance.
it doesnt lowe him any for me as i wouldnt draft bomar anyway if i had 15 picks. its not what he did that was so morally reprehensible. its all in the perception. and you dont want your qb being perceived in a negative light, its not good for business

CLong4Heisman
10-17-2008, 08:40 PM
it goes to character. you dont want the cnterpiece and most visible asset having questionable off field decision making. i myself dont think he really did anything wrong but in this universe we live in now, its an uneeded annoyance.
it doesnt lowe him any for me as i wouldnt draft bomar anyway if i had 15 picks. its not what he did that was so morally reprehensible. its all in the perception. and you dont want your qb being perceived in a negative light, its not good for business

He had done nothing wrong before and has done nothing wrong since ( I think). Everyone gets second chances, he matured and I believe that he wont ruin his life.

Babylon
10-17-2008, 10:38 PM
He had done nothing wrong before and has done nothing wrong since ( I think). Everyone gets second chances, he matured and I believe that he wont ruin his life.

I agree, it's not like he associated with domestic terrorists back in the 60s.:)

STARHEATHER
10-17-2008, 10:46 PM
like i saiud. what he did wasnt a big deal. to some people. but corporate sponsors and lots of people who buy tickets think it is and the media runs with this stuff all the time. perception trumps reality in this situation. if he was a stud freak qb id maybe think about it. but there are plenty of late rd qbs without the issues.

CLong4Heisman
10-18-2008, 06:48 AM
like i saiud. what he did wasnt a big deal. to some people. but corporate sponsors and lots of people who buy tickets think it is and the media runs with this stuff all the time. perception trumps reality in this situation. if he was a stud freak qb id maybe think about it. but there are plenty of late rd qbs without the issues.

The thought with GM and owners are that winning solves everything. How many of these late round QB's started at a big time power as a freshman? He has tons of talent and if he has a good showing in the post season games he could become a late 3rd early 4th.

STARHEATHER
10-18-2008, 10:56 AM
define for me please how he has tons of talent. he has late rd talernt if any nfl talent at all.

princefielder28
10-18-2008, 11:01 AM
define for me please how he has tons of talent. he has late rd talernt if any nfl talent at all.

Bomar is a mid-to-late round prospect IMO, agree

neko4
10-18-2008, 02:32 PM
Brown is nowhere near a Colt Brennan type; Brennan is a gun slinger, not a game manager

Nathan Brown is similar to Brad Johnson

*Sidearm Release
*Highly competitive
*Lack of Arm strength

All 3 were associated with Brennan last year

Brent
10-18-2008, 02:52 PM
But he didnt play at some D-Iaa school

neko4
10-18-2008, 03:21 PM
But he didnt play at some D-Iaa school
That has nothing to do with them being similar QB's when talking about physical/athletic traits.

Brennan did play at a small school tho

Iamcanadian
10-18-2008, 03:29 PM

The NFL is a men's league and the QB is the most important position. I don't believe any NFL team would pass on Bomar for what he did when he was a freshman. If he passes the interview process, he'll go very high.
Maybe you didn't notice how NE picked up Dillion, the Cincy RB who carried a huge negative tag along with him as did Moss. Dallas signed TO and Pac man. Do you really think teams give one hoot about past indiscretions especially if they are 3 or 4 years old. Perception goes out the window, the moment you produce for your home team.

Shane P. Hallam
10-18-2008, 05:14 PM
The NFL is a men's league and the QB is the most important position. I don't believe any NFL team would pass on Bomar for what he did when he was a freshman. If he passes the interview process, he'll go very high.
Maybe you didn't notice how NE picked up Dillion, the Cincy RB who carried a huge negative tag along with him as did Moss. Dallas signed TO and Pac man. Do you really think teams give one hoot about past indiscretions especially if they are 3 or 4 years old. Perception goes out the window, the moment you produce for your home team.

It's different in the draft though my man. People fall due to character issues all the time. It is a legit question. People aren't just not taking him, they are passing on him for another player who could potentially be better than him anyway.

jballa838
10-18-2008, 06:41 PM
Mike Reilly is better than Rhett Bomar. Once again the fact that Reilly is in the Pacific Northwest and Bomar is in the heartland of America is a huge difference. Reilly transfered to Central because he didn't like how things were going at Oregon State and Bomar was forced to transfer to where ever he went because he is an idiot who got in trouble. Reilly has character, Bomar is a character.

jnew76
10-18-2008, 06:46 PM
Mike Reilly is better than Rhett Bomar. Once again the fact that Reilly is in the Pacific Northwest and Bomar is in the heartland of America is a huge difference. Reilly transfered to Central because he didn't like how things were going at Oregon State and Bomar was forced to transfer to where ever he went because he is an idiot who got in trouble. Reilly has character, Bomar is a character.

I could not agree more with this post. I have Reilly as the #1 senior QB in my personal rankings. Not saying that much in this class, but Reilly has what it takes to have a decent career in the NFL. Bomar has never impressed me that much. I have never seen him as a good decision maker on the field. I believe Bomar will get drafted. I do not, however, believe he will ever make an active NFL roster.

Babylon
10-18-2008, 07:05 PM

Easy there, you know i agree with you most of the time but let's not go Bill Oreilly here and start calling people idiots because they made a mistake at 18 years old. Have you even seen Bomar play?

jballa838
10-18-2008, 07:44 PM
Easy there, you know i agree with you most of the time but let's not go Bill Oreilly here and start calling people idiots because they made a mistake at 18 years old. Have you even seen Bomar play?
Not as SHSU but I wasn't impressed at Oklahoma.
Have you seen Reilly play?

Babylon
10-18-2008, 07:58 PM
Not as SHSU but I wasn't impressed at Oklahoma.
Have you seen Reilly play?

No i havent seen Reilly and i'll be the first to tout him if he gets on NFL teams radar. Remember that Bomar was pretty inexperienced when he was at OU and they werent the team they are now. Rhett Bomar was probably on a par with Sanchez and Stafford out of highschool.

princefielder28
10-18-2008, 08:09 PM
*Sidearm Release
*Highly competitive
*Lack of Arm strength

All 3 were associated with Brennan last year

Nathan Brown's arm strength is notably less than Colt

Iamcanadian
10-19-2008, 12:29 AM
It's different in the draft though my man. People fall due to character issues all the time. It is a legit question. People aren't just not taking him, they are passing on him for another player who could potentially be better than him anyway.

It isn't always different in the draft. Sure if your constantly in trouble with the law or were caught taking drugs, they'll downgrade you but most of the other stuff doesn't interest pro teams as long as it isn't a consistant pattern in your life.
Teams that interview Bomar will look to see if he has matured, if they are satisfied he has, they'll grade him strickly on his talent. If they have doubts then that team will downgrade him.
Based on his scouting report, he hasn't been in any trouble for 3 years and his talents ranks him as the best senior QB prospect. Do you really think a team will pass on him for what he did 3 years ago. Think again.
If he blows the scouts away at the Senior Bowl( if invited) and has an excellent combine, he has a legitimate shot at round 1. If he doesn't have either, he'll fall like any other prospect.

Iamcanadian
10-19-2008, 12:37 AM
Nathan Brown's arm strength is notably less than Colt

Brown has a pro arm. His main weaknesses are the fact that he is never been asked to make NFL type reads about the defense. Most of his production comes on predetermined screens and lateral passes. He has never had to drop, scan the field and go through progressions to find an open receiver.
He wouldn't even get a mention if scouts questioned his arm strength. That is what is keeping scouts interested.