PDA

View Full Version : Under the radar players that only you know about.

MarioPalmer
10-15-2008, 11:35 PM
Who are the under the radar guys that are on your squad that are incredibly important to your franchise but no one knows about them? These are guys that have a major role to play and they are more than living up to their end of the deal.

Try to follow a simple format:

Under the Radar Player: Ronald Bartell 6’1 210lbs.
Position: CB
College: Howard University
Draft Position: 2nd Round 2005

In 2005 the St. Louis Rams made Ronald Bartell their 2nd rounds pick of the 2005 NFL Draft. Little was known about the small school product other than the fact that he was a tremendous athlete that had all the physical tools to be successful in the NFL. He was incredibly raw but the physical ability and passion was there for him to turn into a solid contributor within a year or so.

That’s what the Rams had thought, but 1 year passed and then 2 and Bartell was looking more and more like a wasted 2nd rounder and a 2nd round bust. Until 2007 Bartell wasn’t living up to his ability at all and was looking like an offseason cut. But then training camp of the 2007 season was underway and Bartell was making better strides and learning the mental side of the game to go along with his physical ability. Jim Haslett had brought in Fahkir Brown who at the time was the ultimate pro’s pro. Brown was an undrafted free agent who had to build his reputation from the ground up and it reflected in his work ethic. I think that Brown’s work habits had rubbed off on Bartell and Bartell was taking his film study and education of football’s little things to whole new level. Also, with the selection of Tye Hill in the 1rst round off the 2006 NFL Draft was an indicator that the club didn’t see Bartell as the answer at CB. So that selection of Hill also pushed Bartell to be even more focused and more driven to become the guy they had hoped for when selecting him when they did.

Now after the 2007 season and 5 games into the 2008 year, Ronald Bartell is now not just an impactful CB, but the #1 CB for the St. Louis Rams. He was the reason why the Rams felt it justified to let go of Fahkir Brown even with the substance suspension looming. Also, because of Tye Hill’s woeful start to the 2008 season, Bartell had the opportunity to out shine his team mate and did just that. Ronald Bartell has not only become the guy the Rams had hoped for when selecting him, but one of the more under rated players at his position. I’m not saying he is on Champ Bailey, Nate Clements or Nnamdi Asomugha level yet, but he certainly is more than capable of being a top 15 or 20 CB in the league.

Although he only has 5 career interceptions, that doesn’t necessarily mean that he doesn’t have terrific ball skills. Bartell has phenomenal size for the CB position at 6’1 210lbs. along with a long lanky frame. Bartell also has excellent body control and has an explosive first step along with excellent acceleration. Bartell has shown the ability to excel in press coverage because of his excellent hand use and ability to redirect routes off the line. Bartell also has terrific acceleration up field with a long stride that gives him the ability to make up ground quickly. Bartell also has very good tackling technique and has excellent form when tackling. He breaks down quickly and wraps up the ball carrier. He is also becoming more physical in the running game and able to step up and take on running backs one on one and he is also becoming more adapt at diagnosing short passing plays such as screens, jail breaks and bubble screens.

All in all, Ronald Bartell is becoming more and more an excellent all around CB who can excel in man-to-man coverage while also being an asset in a Cover 2 system. If there was one other corner in the league that I could compare Ronald Bartell to it would Rashean Mathis. They both come from small D1-AA programs and both needed time to acclimate themselves to the power and speed of the NFL game. Both are excellent in man up coverage and both are incredibly athletic corners capable of playing on an island against larger more physical receivers.

If you get a chance to watch the Rams this year pay attention to number 24. He has become the go to guy of the St. Louis Rams secondary and has become the one bright spot of the corner back corps. I definitely see him becoming one of the few building blocks the Rams do have on their defense.

http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s327/gsus8091/77648629.jpg

http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s327/gsus8091/610x.jpg

Bruce Banner
10-15-2008, 11:56 PM
You're such a novel writer. :). By "only you", you meant fans of the team right?

Under the Radar Player: Ike Hilliard 5'11 210 (Listed size, probably about 190)
Position: WR
College: Florida
Draft Position: 1st Round 1997 by the Giants (7th overall)
Current Team: Buccaneers

To sum things up. He plays older than he is. He is slow as hell and can't get any yards after the catch. But he DOES make almost every one of the Buccaneers' third down catches. Mr. Glue Hands (aka Mr. Third Down) is our most reliable player on offense. Only Buccaneer fans can understand how good he really is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ike_Hilliard

Chucky
10-16-2008, 12:02 AM
You're such a novel writer. :). By "only you", you meant fans of the team right?

To sum things up. He plays older than he is. He is slow as hell and can't get any yards after the catch. But he DOES make almost every one of the Buccaneers' third down catches. Mr. Glue Hands is our most reliable player
on offense. Only Buccaneer fans can understand how good he really is.

Ike is mr. Third down

MarioPalmer
10-16-2008, 12:04 AM
Yeah, fans of the team. Sorry, sometimes I want to make sure I get all the info out for everyone. I get a little into it then I look up and see that I've wrote 4 paragraphs...lol my bad.

But, I like you got Hillard down. He isn't what he was supposed to be when he was drafted, but he is super reliable and makes lesser talented QB's look very good because of his great hands. He might not get a lot of catches but his catches seem pretty important. I think it was like the first game of the year and he had 2 catches and I think 1 was for a TD, and maybe the other as well...lol Now thats an impact.

Bruce Banner
10-16-2008, 12:07 AM
Yeah, fans of the team. Sorry, sometimes I want to make sure I get all the info out for everyone. I get a little into it then I look up and see that I've wrote 4 paragraphs...lol my bad.

But, I like you got Hillard down. He isn't what he was supposed to be when he was drafted, but he is super reliable and makes lesser talented QB's look very good because of his great hands. He might not get a lot of catches but his catches seem pretty important. I think it was like the first game of the year and he had 2 catches and I think 1 was for a TD, and maybe the other as well...lol Now thats an impact.

Spot on. Never lived up to his expectations but he has found a home here. Yes, you are correct about that TD. Is was a sprint right from the 5 yard line.

MarioPalmer
10-16-2008, 12:10 AM
Spot on. Never lived up to his expectations but he has found a home here. Yes, you are correct about that TD. Is was a sprint right from the 5 yard line.

Thought so. I was checking stats for my fantasy football team and see he was leading in points at that moment and saw that he had 1 catch for 1 TD...lol But thats how he is. Excellent hands and knows how to get open. It's a shame that he never panned out as an elite wide out, with his last year in college I could have sworn he was on his way to what Marvin Harrison and Tory Holt became.

Caddy
10-16-2008, 12:11 AM

To sum things up. He plays older than he is. He is slow as hell and can't get any yards after the catch. But he DOES make almost every one of the Buccaneers' third down catches. Mr. Glue Hands is our most reliable player on offense. Only Buccaneer fans can understand how good he really is.

This I can guarantee. Ike Hilliard mightn't be the fastest guy in the league (In fact I wouldn't be surprised if he is the slowest wideout) but he does run a mean route and his hands are amazing. His positioning is great and he has a sixth sense for the 3rd down marker. Over the last two seasons he has been an amazingly underrated player in the NFL.

Bruce Banner
10-16-2008, 12:26 AM
This I can guarantee. Ike Hilliard mightn't be the fastest guy in the league (In fact I wouldn't be surprised if he is the slowest wideout) but he does run a mean route and his hands are amazing. His positioning is great and he has a sixth sense for the 3rd down marker. Over the last two seasons he has been an amazingly underrated player in the NFL.

He averaged the lowest yards per catch for receivers with a minimum of 30 catches or something but I can guarantee he had more first downs than all of them!

BlindSite
10-16-2008, 12:30 AM
Name: Thomas Davis
College: Georgia
Height: 6-0
Weight: 240 lbs
40 time: 4.54
Draft Postion: 1st round pick 2005

39 tackles 1 FF, 1 Pdef this season

Thomas Davis is probably the most unheralded good player in the NFC. He's always in and around the action of the play, great wrap up tackles, delivers an excellent shot every time he gets the opportunity and on some downs covers tight ends and receivers no problems at all. He's also an excellent blitzer.

Bruce Banner
10-16-2008, 12:32 AM
Thomas Davis is probably the most unheralded good player in the NFC.

<cough> Ruud <cough>

Flyboy
10-16-2008, 12:33 AM
Davis > Ruud

Bruce Banner
10-16-2008, 12:34 AM
Davis > Ruud

Lol. What? How?

Bruce Banner
10-16-2008, 12:38 AM
Meh. Too early for a thread hijack guys. Let's wait for another time.

MarioPalmer
10-16-2008, 12:40 AM
Name: Thomas Davis
College: Georgia
Height: 6-0
Weight: 240 lbs
40 time: 4.54
Draft Postion: 1st round pick 2005

39 tackles 1 FF, 1 Pdef this season

Thomas Davis is probably the most unheralded good player in the NFC. He's always in and around the action of the play, great wrap up tackles, delivers an excellent shot every time he gets the opportunity and on some downs covers tight ends and receivers no problems at all. He's also an excellent blitzer.

I absolutely love Thomas Davis and I think he is one of the best SLB of the 4-3 scheme. He plays with such intensity and has the ability to play up against any TE and run with any RB out of the backfield. I love this kid. I wish that the Texans would have jumped up to get him during the 2005 NFL Draft. He really does impress me and I think he makes Beason's job alot easier and keeps Beason from having to do all the work like Patrick Willis has to out in San Fran. Good choice "Blind Site." Def good call on that one.

MarioPalmer
10-16-2008, 12:41 AM
Meh. Too early for a thread hijack guys. Let's wait for another time.

Thanks, how about when the thread reaches 3 or 4 pages...lol

Caddy
10-16-2008, 12:59 AM
He averaged the lowest yards per catch for receivers with a minimum of 30 catches or something but I can guarantee he had more first downs than all of them!

I have a feeling he may have led the league in third down catches. At the very least he was in the top 5. At least I think...

Caddy
10-16-2008, 01:00 AM
Davis > Ruud

I'm sorry, I might be a Buc fan, but I can't see how Davis is a better player than Ruud.

I'm sure he is a better SLB, but as far as being an overall player goes, I think Ruud is ahead.

d34ng3l021
10-16-2008, 01:09 AM
I know Ike Hilliard

BlindSite
10-16-2008, 02:38 AM
I'm sorry, I might be a Buc fan, but I can't see how Davis is a better player than Ruud.

I'm sure he is a better SLB, but as far as being an overall player goes, I think Ruud is ahead.

Davis plays on the weakside as of this year.

Ruud isn't unheralded. Bradley is more unheralded for performance anyway.

Caddy
10-16-2008, 02:43 AM
As far as other divisional unheralded players go:

Falcons: Johnathan Babineaux. The guy is a force in the middle. He has the capability to create havoc in the backfield but is also no slouch at the line of scrimmage.

Saints: Jahri Evans. To be honest, I couldn't think of any other great, unheralded players on the Saints, but as far as mainstream praise goes, Evans doesn't get a whole lot.

Panthers: Chris Harris. He isn't the best cover safety, but the guy hits as hard as anyone in the NFC South.

SenorGato
10-16-2008, 02:47 AM
Anthony Spencer on the Cowboys looks like he'll be a nice piece in that nasty LBer corps.

No one seems to notice Jerricho Cotchery.

d34ng3l021
10-16-2008, 02:53 AM
As far as other divisional unheralded players go:

Falcons: Johnathan Babineaux. The guy is a force in the middle. He has the capability to create havoc in the backfield but is also no slouch at the line of scrimmage.

Saints: Jahri Evans. To be honest, I couldn't think of any other great, unheralded players on the Saints, but as far as mainstream praise goes, Evans doesn't get a whole lot.

Panthers: Chris Harris. He isn't the best cover safety, but the guy hits as hard as anyone in the NFC South.

Babs is unheralded within our team I think too. His play is terrific this year. He needs to be a bit more consistent though.

yourfavestoner
10-16-2008, 02:55 AM
Tony Pashos. With the rest of our offensive line getting shot up or having their muscles and ligaments tear off, this guy has been an absolute rock this year.

eaglesalltheway
10-16-2008, 06:47 AM

With him being a local kid, I know about him, but since he is a OG, he will get less notoriety. Nice choice for the Saints. Very underrated O-linmen, expect some Pro-bowls from this guy in time.

eaglesalltheway
10-16-2008, 07:02 AM
Eagles have two guys that only us Eagle fans know about.
Quentin Mikell, our starting SS, is in his first year in the starter's role, but is showing how great (not good) of a player he is. He is relatively young, and has two Special Teams MVP titles for the Eagles' unit. He has average size, but hits like a truck and has very good range, better than Dawkins right now. He is used all over the place in our defense, whether it be in deep coverage, or intermediate or short coverage, run support, and blitzing. He makes plays everywhere. He has made a great impact in run support, and has made many plays where it seems he comes flyinmg out of nowhere and cuts a runner down before he can turn the corner. he has two INTs and a decent number of Passes defended. (I don't know the exact number, but watching the games, he has at least 5 or 6, probably much more). Honestly, if it weren't for his lack of name recognition, he would probably make the Pro-bowl this year. He leads our defense in tackling, and has had at least ten tackles in every game this season. Wrap your mind around that, over ten tackles, EVERY GAME this season. When you add in the other impacts he has had, he is developing into a great defnder for us, and with him being young, there is a bright future for him.

Juqua Parker, our starting LDE, has been in the league for over 7 years now (maybe more) but didn't get a chance to start in the league until last year, when Jevon Kearse wasn't producing like the team expected. He proved to be a very solid option, but was regarded as the weak link on our defensive line. (Which is true, even now) He has at least 4 sacks already and is making a great impact in stopping the run as well. He just recently got his first INT of his career, and returned it for a TD, also a career first. A very underrated player ion our defense, he is rarely heard from, much like an O-linemen, but he holds the POA well considering his size and has made a ton of plays in the backfield. Certainly not a Pro-Bowler, but many football fans, even Eagles fans didn't think too highly of him. I have been one of his supporters since he earned the starting role, but to be honest, he is exceeding my expectations for him so far this year.

DiG
10-16-2008, 07:37 AM
For the Skins, I'm gonna go with Kedric Golston.

In his rookie season, Golston started 13 games and 44 tackles. In his second season, Golston lost out to Montgomery for the starting spot next to Cornelius Griffin. This year Golston has earned back the starting spot. Similar to Monte, Golston is a strong run stopper. He still has work to do on his penetration in the pass rush but he has been steadily improving. The combination of Monte and Golston rotating has been successful for our run defense but as Griffin hits the downside of his career and nears retirement the Skins will probably look for a penetrating DT to pair next to Golston/Monte.

Sniper
10-16-2008, 07:53 AM
Other than the two EATW mentioned, Eagles WR Jason Avant is pure and utter sex on third down. Average speed at best, but if you throw it within the same zip code, he'll catch it. He's straight cash on third downs. 9 of his 13 catches this year have resulted in third downs. 29 of his 43 career catches have resulted in first downs. Don't ask me why he doesn't get more PT, because I have no idea.

Bengalsrocket
10-16-2008, 08:01 AM
For the Bengals, its Chinedum Ndukwe (though, he's starting to get a lot more popular). He's been our starting strong safety since the last 2 games of the 07' season. He's got 32 tackles, a sack and an interception this year. But more importantly he makes plays when we need him to the most. Without him on the team, I think opposing offenses would never have to punt against us :(

DeathbyStat
10-16-2008, 08:09 AM
Aaron Smith a very underrated 3-4 DE

Sniper
10-16-2008, 08:12 AM
For the Bengals, its Chinedum Ndukwe (though, he's starting to get a lot more popular). He's been our starting strong safety since the last 2 games of the 07' season. He's got 32 tackles, a sack and an interception this year. But more importantly he makes plays when we need him to the most. Without him on the team, I think opposing offenses would never have to punt against us :(

How dare you speak ill of Leon Hall??!?!?!?!?

Bengalsrocket
10-16-2008, 08:15 AM
How dare you speak ill of Leon Hall??!?!?!?!?

Hall is having a great year too. But teams could just throw away from him on 3rd down anyways (and a lot of times they actually do).

10-16-2008, 08:27 AM
JLH (Johnnie Lee Higgins). As each week passes by and he continues to rack up big plays for us I think in time he will be noticed more across the league not just for his outstanding kick return abilities but yes his receiving abilities too.

Despite playing sparingly at receiver thus far in the season he's second to Zach Miller in almost every receiver category. His KR and PR averages are also quite impressive at 25.2 and 10.2 respectively considering the amount of work he gets back there. It’s unfortunate our anemic offense consistently fails to capitalize on the short field of play he literally hands to us every game.

AntoinCD
10-16-2008, 08:57 AM
Ty Warren DE
6'5
6th season

Playing on a 3 man line with Wilfork and Seymour he never gets the credit he's due but now he's playing far better than Seymour who still gets most of the acclaim. I'd put Warren just behind Aaron Smith as 2nd best 34DE in the league

giantsfan
10-16-2008, 09:18 AM
Corey Webster, CB, LSU
Drafted in the second round despite coming out after a season he missed to injury Webster was a former WR who located the ball well and excelled in man coverage. Well his first two season Tim Lewis did everything in his power to make Corey Webster bust, refusing to play any press and relying on super-soft zone coverage with generally less corners. But last year his game changed, spags brought back a press man cover scheme to NY and when Webster came backing into the lineup he flourished, playing very well last season. This season he's making his claim for the top 10 at his position as he's been very consistent at limiting opposing 1s to very little as he uses his hands well at the line and has very good athleticism and long arms to swat balls down and break up plays. Webster's a legit probowler this season in the NFC.

FuzzyGopher
10-16-2008, 09:24 AM
Ben Leber
LB Minnesota Vikings

He can cover and play the run. He won't jump out to you on the stat line but he is always making big plays whether it be deflecting passes or sacking the Qb and forcing a fumble. He is a real blue collar player and probably the most consistent and reliable players on our defense.

MarioPalmer
10-16-2008, 10:51 AM
Under the Radar Player:Eric Winston 6'6 290lbs.
Position: ORT
Draft Position: 2006 NFL Draft 3rd Round out of University of Miami

Eric Winston was once considered a top OLT prospect after finishing out his sophomore season at the University of Miami. He had been a converted TE coming out of high school and was supremely athletic with an excellent wing span and quick agile foot work. Winston was quickly becoming one of the best left tackles in college and rising up draft boards through his first 2 seasons at the "U". His great frame coupled with his excellent atheticism was cause for him being considered at one time a lock to be a top 10 pick and potential franchise NFL left tackle.

Then his junior season came and suffered one of the worst injuries an offensive lineman can suffer. He tore his ACL and damaged his knee to the point that he may never play again, at least not to the elite level he once did. Once considered a lock to be a 1rst rounder, scouts had now cooled on him and had basically left him for dead. He was now considered a late round pick due strictly to his knee injury. However, Winston did return for his senior year and it came and went without much fan fair. This once nimble, quick athletic athete playing LT had become a shadow of his former self. He was now slower, thinner, more heavy footed with poor technique. Winston was allowing guys he would normally have dominanted to walk right past him without much of a fight. By the end of his senior year, this once top rated LT had now become a fringe 2nd day prospect that may or may not be even a backup. But then came his off-season workouts and interviews. He had shown no ill effects from his knee injury and had been gaining back his athleticism in record time during the pre-draft scenerio's. Needless to say his stock now at an all time low was now rising back to 1rst day expectations and maybe even a crack back into top 50 conversation.

On draft day the Texans drafted Winston with their 2nd 3rd round pick, which was actually the 2nd pick of the 3rd round. They had picked OG Charles Spencer with the 1rst pick of the 3rd round and then Winston with the 2nd. Winston was now being counted on to become a major building block for one of the worst offensive lines in the history of the NFL.

During Winston's first year he appeared in 12 games while starting 7 and made his presence felt by holding down the starting job once he got it. Still a little weary on the recovered knee, Winston had yet to become fully comfortable with it so he took baby steps. But because of his athleticism to begin with, the speed and power of the game wasn't too overwhelming for him and he finished out the year as the Texans starting RT.

In Winston's second year the once forgotten prospect had started every game and had locked down his side of the line. He had now felt that his knee problem was part of his past and that he could now move on and his play showed just that. Winston has the ability to play straight up against all elite pass rushers one-on-one and has the athleticism and quickness to match them. Winston has long arms that allow him to keep pass rushers off at a distance. Although he is athletic he still needs time in the weight room and at the dinner table. He is listed 285, but plays more like a legit 290 pounder. He needs to bulk and strengthen his lower body so that he can anchor against the one problem he has and thats against bull rushers. But he does show flashes of being able to sink his hips and have adequate knne bend while also getting his pad level lowered to hold his ground. Winston also has the ability to seal off the edge in the running game and has a nice first step to get to the second level to seal off against linebackers. All in all, Winston has become the Texans top offensive lineman and one of the teams core building blocks.

The Texans have thought so highly off Eric, that in this past offseason they signed him to 5 years extension worth $30 million with $10 million of that guanreteed only after his second year with the franchise. Not bad for a player that was once thought of as damaged goods. Winston has solidified himself as one of the young promising offensive tackles in the NFL and the Texans have proof of that.

http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s327/gsus8091/71791247.jpg

http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s327/gsus8091/340x-5.jpg

themaninblack
10-16-2008, 10:53 AM
For the Skins, I'm gonna go with Kedric Golston.

In his rookie season, Golston started 13 games and 44 tackles. In his second season, Golston lost out to Montgomery for the starting spot next to Cornelius Griffin. This year Golston has earned back the starting spot. Similar to Monte, Golston is a strong run stopper. He still has work to do on his penetration in the pass rush but he has been steadily improving. The combination of Monte and Golston rotating has been successful for our run defense but as Griffin hits the downside of his career and nears retirement the Skins will probably look for a penetrating DT to pair next to Golston/Monte.

Nice to hear some good news about Kedric Golston. I always thought he would be a good player in the NFL and really flew under the radar. Thomas Davis praise is also a good thing to hear because he was always a favorite player of mine.

For the Bengals it is easily Chinedum Ndukwe. Not really known all that well yet but the kid has made play after play after play ever since he has joined the Bengals. The definition of a diamond in the rough if I've heard of one. He's been called the TJ Houshmanzadeh of our defense because he was also drafted in the seventh round out of Notre Dame.

CC.SD
10-16-2008, 11:15 AM
Igor Olshansky still flies pretty far below the radar if you ask me. Just an old school Ukranian strongman at the 3-4 DE position who does not lose one-on-one matchups.

Eric Weddle somehow has picked up 50 tackles already. FS. Then again he gave up the game winner against both Carolina and Denver so all is not sunshine and roses.

On offense I really like Legedu Naanee--great size, speed and hands, he'll be a starter somewhere and he's already destroyed 1st round pick Buster Davis' career despite being a fifth rounder from the same draft.

Menardo75
10-16-2008, 11:24 AM
For San Francisco I will have to go with Ray McDonald DE/DT 3rd round 97th overall 2007

He could not crack the lineup until late in the year last season. This year before the preseason he was listed at third on the depth chart, and apparently that light some kind of fire inside of him. Within the next few practices he won the starting job. He tore it up in the pre-season and now in the regular season.

He has 18 tackles a sack and a blocked kick so far. The stat it does not sure is the number of pressures he has. A lot of the teams sacks so far are because of his pressure up the middle. He gets better every game, and is a name everyone will start hearing more often very soon.

eaglesalltheway
10-16-2008, 11:56 AM
Other than the two EATW mentioned, Eagles WR Jason Avant is pure and utter sex on third down. Average speed at best, but if you throw it within the same zip code, he'll catch it. He's straight cash on third downs. 9 of his 13 catches this year have resulted in third downs. 29 of his 43 career catches have resulted in first downs. Don't ask me why he doesn't get more PT, because I have no idea.

I know, since the coaching staff suppoosedly "love him", you'd think he'd get more opportunities. Oh well. I'd say Jamaal Jackson is up for it too. But with him being on the SI cover two years back, maybe people know about him outside of us Eagle fans.

Sniper
10-16-2008, 11:57 AM
I know, since the coaching staff suppoosedly "love him", you'd think he'd get more opportunities. Oh well. I'd say Jamaal Jackson is up for it too. But with him being on the SI cover two years back, maybe people know about him outside of us Eagle fans.

Nonsense, you silly bastard. If Jason Avant gets more passes his way, how will the Eagles be able to fit their passes to the awesome Greg Lewis and the awesomer Hank Baskett? Silly EATW.

eaglesalltheway
10-16-2008, 11:59 AM
Nonsense, you silly bastard. If Jason Avant gets more passes his way, how will the Eagles be able to fit their passes to the awesome Greg Lewis and the awesomer Hank Baskett? Silly EATW.

What was I thinking? Uhh I frustrate myself sometimes...

eaglesalltheway
10-16-2008, 12:00 PM
It makes to much sense for them to actually do it.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-16-2008, 12:18 PM
For the Redskins first would be Stephon Heyer. An absolute steal of a signing. Out of Maryland he was an undrafted free agent last year, and as an undrafted rookie he started several games at both LT and RT because of injuries. This year his second in the league he overtook longtime vet and former pro bowler Jon Jansen as our starting RT. He is already a pretty solid starter. Great run blocker, adequate run blocker. He really gained confidence last season as a rookie shutting down Michael Strahan completely for an entire game. Great measurements 6-6" 320 pounds. He's known for wearing a size 23 shoe. Other Redskins would be both Kedric Golston and Anthony Montgomery, as well as HB Blades. Blades is someone who as a prospect I thought he was too slow in coverage to be an ILB in this league, but he has been exceptional as an OLB surprisingly. He can play all LB positions and is probably the future replacement for London Fletcher, although he also projects as the replacement for Marcus Washington. Either way the kid flat out makes tackles. I would have mentioned Chris Horton a few weeks back but I think most people know him by now.

LonghornsLegend
10-16-2008, 12:32 PM
I can't really give the nod to Jay Ratliff, he's been getting his much deserved press this year and may make the pro bowl...I think I would have to say Marc Columbo, he has been consistent and rock steady as our RT and hasn't missed many games if any.

He has a contract coming up soon which will be interesting to see if he stays or not, but he's under appreciated, and we will surely miss him if we don't find a proper replacement.

HawkeyeFan
10-16-2008, 12:36 PM
WHAT! Someone else other than a Rams fan is crediting Ron Bartell?

The guys playing SHUT DOWN right now.

yourfavestoner
10-16-2008, 12:41 PM
Aaron Smith a very underrated 3-4 DE

****, he's beyond underrated. He's the one that makes that defense go. They were a sieve when he got hurt last year.

UKfan
10-16-2008, 12:46 PM
Colts is a tough one, but I think based on what I have seen this season, I would be tempted to go with Kelvin Hayden. He's injured at the moment but he has been playing great at cornerback. Him and Marlin Jackson are a very underrated tandem.

DLionALL
10-16-2008, 12:50 PM
Along with the three players my fellow Eagles fans mentioned I think Stewart Bradley is really not given enough credit. So far I think he's been a monster in the middle. Bunkley has gotten a lot more credit recently but he's one of the reasons why our Run D has been pretty solid.

eaglesalltheway
10-16-2008, 01:08 PM
Along with the three players my fellow Eagles fans mentioned I think Stewart Bradley is really not given enough credit. So far I think he's been a monster in the middle. Bunkley has gotten a lot more credit recently but he's one of the reasons why our Run D has been pretty solid.

Stewart Bradley has been solid so far, very good, but the reasons I brought up Mikell and Parker is because they have been great.

SuperMcGee
10-16-2008, 01:46 PM
Fred Jackson would've been the perfect answer to this last season. Now it probably still is him for my answer, but the cat might be out of the bag on this one. Jabari Greer, in a way, as well. "only you know about" is a bit much for anyone in this league.

ChezPower4
10-16-2008, 02:04 PM
I would have to say Kelly Gregg and Haloti Ngata are two pretty underrated guys.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-16-2008, 02:09 PM
Kelly Gregg for sure even though he's out for the year, Ngata is questionable if he is underrated. I'd say that most football knowledgeable people view him as an elite D-lineman already but I guess I can understand why you'd say underrated, because the media has zero mention of him despite being arguably the best player on that elite Ravens defense. (He or Ray Lewis it's debatable.) For the Ravens I think that two of their interior lineman Ben Grubbs and Jason Brown are completely underrated. As well as LeRon McClain who's teammate Lorenzo Neal will tell you that he is the best FB in the league. Jim Leonhard and Harkuri Nakamura are also underrated. That defense though does have several overrated players like Bart Scott, Terrell Suggs, and Chris McCalister.

BrownsTown
10-16-2008, 02:11 PM
Alex Hall...7th round pick who's already worked his way in as a big part of our LB corps.

Steve Heiden I've always liked, he's just a great consistent TE when he's in. Good hands, good blocker, more than you need from a backup.

bigbluedefense
10-16-2008, 02:11 PM
Stewart Bradley - MIKE Eagles
Cedric Gholston - DT Redskins
Mike Walker - WR Jaguars
Garrett Mills - TE Minnesota
Ben Patrick - TE Arizona
Rich Seaburt - LG Giants
Dave Tollefson - DE Giants
Kelly Gregg - NT Ravens

SeanTaylorRIP
10-16-2008, 02:16 PM
It's actually Kedric Golston but yeah I am a huge Ben Patrick fan. I actually thought he had a chance to be a day 1 pick but kept dropping. He went a pick before the Skins took the worst TE in history Tyler Ecker, it depressed me. Patrick had no business falling to the 7th round despite being a small school guy. He'll make a name for himself one day, an excellent pass catching TE. He isn't exactly in the most TE friendly system despite being a throwing team, but he will get his looks. Honestly I haven't seen Mills do very much at all this season, but I'll take your word for it.

Vox Populi
10-16-2008, 03:10 PM
JLH (Johnnie Lee Higgins). As each week passes by and he continues to rack up big plays for us I think in time he will be noticed more across the league not just for his outstanding kick return abilities but yes his receiving abilities too.

Despite playing sparingly at receiver thus far in the season he's second to Zach Miller in almost every receiver category. His KR and PR averages are also quite impressive at 25.2 and 10.2 respectively considering the amount of work he gets back there. Itís unfortunate our anemic offense consistently fails to capitalize on the short field of play he literally hands to us every game.

Slightly irrelevant, but you're from Kingston, aren't you?

Turtlepower
10-16-2008, 03:12 PM
Stewart Bradley - MIKE Eagles
Cedric Gholston - DT Redskins
Mike Walker - WR Jaguars
Ben Patrick - TE Arizona
Rich Seaburt - LG Giants
Dave Tollefson - DE Giants
Kelly Gregg - NT Ravens

Did you notice that when he was injured during the Browns game, our pass-rush severely went downhill?

10-16-2008, 03:12 PM
Slightly irrelevant, but you're from Kingston, aren't you?

Nope Mississauga but I have certainly been to Kingston. :)

Vox Populi
10-16-2008, 03:14 PM
Nope Mississauga but I have certainly been to Kingston. :)

:O Got my area codes mixed up haha. I ride the 905 :D

10-16-2008, 03:16 PM
:O Got my area codes mixed up haha. I ride the 905 :D

and so do I lol ...

Disregard the username haha.

Vox Populi
10-16-2008, 03:17 PM
nice.

/threadjack

Young Legend
10-16-2008, 03:22 PM
Kalimba Edwards, he has been nothing like what he was in Detroit dude is playing hard out there always causing havoc. 4 sacks 1 FF so far doing a great job but yet no one notices him.He is on pace for a 12 plus sack year.I like to call him Burgess 2.0

10-16-2008, 03:31 PM
Kalimba Edwards, he has been nothing like what he was in Detroit dude is playing hard out there always causing havoc. 4 sacks 1 FF so far doing a great job but yet no one notices him.He is on pace for a 12 plus sack year.I like to call him Burgess 2.0

Yes, it's awesome to see these low risk, high reward acquisitions from this past offseason work out so well. Also Gibril has been flying all over the field it seems this year and leads our entire team in tackles. Terdell Sands quite possibly is back to his '06 form. :)

TitanHope
10-18-2008, 05:42 PM
Eric King is the next Cortland Finnegan.

Rumor has it that King once fought and killed a bear with his bare hands. After skinning his fallen foe and wearing him as a fashion statement, King is now responsible for a quarter of the Sasquatch sightings in the southeastern United States.

keylime_5
10-18-2008, 05:54 PM
steve heiden. not really but....really.

ATLDirtyBirds
10-18-2008, 06:02 PM
More people know him after his tremendous year last season, but Michael Boley. People think he was probably a flash in the pan, because his tackles are way down. This year, Boley's assignment has been changed do to our god awful DBs. Instead of staying up and making tackles, I'd say 80-90% of the time, Boley's been dropping back into coverage mainly covering the TE. He's been like a shutdown corner in that role. No TE has more then 4 catches against Atlanta, and I haven't seen a team get more then 2 off of Boley. He's been orgasmic in coverage. Unfortunately for him, it's a very team style of play right now. Meaning he won't rack up stats or get noticed.

Brent
10-18-2008, 06:17 PM
#91 Ray McDonald

http://www.49ers.com/photos/images/2008_game_photos/49ers_vs._patriots/ray-mcdonald-sack.jpg

Gay Ork Wang
10-18-2008, 06:18 PM
Desmond Clark

aNYtitan
10-18-2008, 06:28 PM
Michael Roos - LT for the Tennessee Titans

EvilMonkey
10-18-2008, 06:28 PM
he hasnt been playing necessarily lights-out in coverage, but Tramon Williams has done a nice job for the Packers filling in for Al Harris. Has a INT in each of our last 3 games. Again, not shutting people down or anything, but playing very well for a guy who was undrafted a few years ago.

jnew76
10-18-2008, 06:30 PM
Michael Roos - LT - Tennessee Titans - The only player in the NFL ever from the country of Estonia. In his 4th year out of Eastern Washington, Roos is a 6'7", 315lb monster on the left side of the offensive line of the Titans. Might never make a pro-bowl but he is deserving of the honor. The Titans certainly know how good he is, inking him to a $43 million dollar deal in the offseason.

jnew76
10-18-2008, 06:33 PM
Michael Roos - LT for the Tennessee Titans

Don't know how I missed this.

P-L
10-18-2008, 06:49 PM
Last year it was Gerald Alexander, but he fell off the face of the Earth this offseason. As far as this year goes, I'll say Dewayne White. He isn't great by any means, but he's a very solid pass rusher.

Brent
10-18-2008, 08:15 PM
Last year it was Gerald Alexander, but he fell off the face of the Earth this offseason
what happened with him?

BlindSite
10-18-2008, 08:32 PM
Arnaz Battle has quietly been a solid contributor on a horrendous team for a long time.

P-L
10-18-2008, 08:44 PM
what happened with him?
Don't really know, he just didn't play well in training camp or the preseason. He was the starter in week one but got benched. He's now on injured reserve.

d34ng3l021
10-18-2008, 08:51 PM
Alex Hall...7th round pick who's already worked his way in as a big part of our LB corps.

Steve Heiden I've always liked, he's just a great consistent TE when he's in. Good hands, good blocker, more than you need from a backup.

Can't forget the time he got lit up (sort of?) by Ed Reed.

robert pancake gallery
10-18-2008, 11:06 PM
backup tight end for the browns darnell dinkins always seems to come up with really big blocks and had a huge play last week in the win over the giants... also chris kuper is one of the most underrated linemen in the game (for the broncos)

throwback54milkman
10-18-2008, 11:14 PM
Wallace Wright is a dirty special teams player for the Jets. Pretty good receiver also.

TimD
10-18-2008, 11:41 PM
Wow I was just going to say Wallace Wright. Him and Brad Smith have been excellent on special teams this year, especially in punt coverage.

Even though Jenkins was a huge signing, and one reason people predicted the Jets to be good this year, he has fallen under the radar during the actual season. He's been doing great, creating a push in the middle and clogging up the hole. When he is out our defense is much different.

yo123
10-19-2008, 01:54 AM

Could be a decent player if he didn't have the worst TE in the league ahead of him. I'm not even saying his name anymore.

TheBuffaloBills
10-19-2008, 07:13 AM
Fred Jackson RB for the Bills is sort of flying under the radar, mainly because of Beast Mode. However, when Jackson gets in there he always makes a play. If the Bills tried out the Wildcat, Jackson would be the perfect QB for it.

scottyboy
10-19-2008, 07:20 AM

To sum things up. He plays older than he is. He is slow as hell and can't get any yards after the catch. But he DOES make almost every one of the Buccaneers' third down catches. Mr. Glue Hands (aka Mr. Third Down) is our most reliable player on offense. Only Buccaneer fans can understand how good he really is.

this statement couldn't be anymore false

Gay Ork Wang
10-19-2008, 07:25 AM
this statement couldn't be anymore false
O yes it could

Noone can understand how good he really is, because he sucks
that would be totally wrong.

Ike hilliard has always been reliable and he is a nice guy opposite of joey galloway.

scottyboy
10-19-2008, 07:27 AM
O yes it could

that would be totally wrong.

Ike hilliard has always been reliable and he is a nice guy opposite of joey galloway.

haah didn't read passed that 2nd post, BAH!

I love Ike, one of my all time favorites. I he could catch with his feet, he and Kerry Collins would both be in the HOF from their time with the Giants...

DeathbyStat
10-19-2008, 07:54 AM
****, he's beyond underrated. He's the one that makes that defense go. They were a sieve when he got hurt last year.

yeah it was mighty painfull

Gay Ork Wang
10-19-2008, 07:57 AM
haah didn't read passed that 2nd post, BAH!

I love Ike, one of my all time favorites. I he could catch with his feet, he and Kerry Collins would both be in the HOF from their time with the Giants...
that was a statement i made up!!!! but i wanted to show u it couldve been worse

lionsfan81
10-19-2008, 10:36 AM
For the Lions its Jared Devries and Daniel Bullocks for sure. They are both extremely consistent and playmakers yet most people do not know them. Especially Devries. Devries is like a poor man's Aaron Kampman.

MetSox17
10-19-2008, 10:40 AM
Orlando Scandrick is gonna play a big role today against the Rams. Lets hope Anthony Henry doesn't get slaughtered like he did last week.

FloridaSkinzFan
10-19-2008, 07:33 PM
As for the Redskins roster, I don't think anyone realizes how good of a shutdown corner carlos rogers is since his INT count isn't good.

HawkeyeFan
10-19-2008, 07:38 PM
Bartell was SHUT DOWN again today covering Terrell Owens.

2 receptions for 31 yards.

Leon Sandcastle
10-19-2008, 07:40 PM
Fred Jackson would've been the perfect answer to this last season. Now it probably still is him for my answer, but the cat might be out of the bag on this one. Jabari Greer, in a way, as well. "only you know about" is a bit much for anyone in this league.

The Bills have a couple of these type of players.

Fred Jackson, Kyle Williams and Jabari Greer are all under the radar type of guys that deserve more credit than they get.

IceKubes
10-19-2008, 07:49 PM
I'll add one: FB Vonta Leach Texans

Alex Gibbs and Steve Slaton deservedly get the credit for giving the Texans a running game but Leach has been playing really well. Great blocker and he can catch a pass every now and then.

JETS5128
10-19-2008, 08:07 PM
Kenyon Coleman

Had a good year last year, and is doing even better this year. Gets great penetration in the run game and passing game, also does a good job at maintaining his position on the LOS.

JonasBlane
10-19-2008, 08:14 PM
Somebody mentioned Aaron Smith already, I'm really hoping people know who he is now after being mentioned in the underrated category for about 5 years now, and having a pro-bowl to his name. He is definitely the real star of the Steeler's DL. Not a knock on Casey Hampton. But Aaron Smith is just an incredibly solid football player. '04 Hampton was out almost all year, Smith held the DL together, this year same thing. Last season Smith was out for a while, and we were giving up anywhere between 100-250 yards on the ground almost every game.

Another player I don't think most people know about quite yet is Lamarr Woodley for the Steelers. Second year player out of Michigan, mainly sat on the bench last year, but still racked up 4 sacks in limited snaps. He has been unreal so far this season. 7.5 sacks 2 FF, 1 INT, and a fumble recovery for a TD. He was at the top of the league in an article detailing which players individually have pressured the QB the most this season. He is already one of the best OLB's in the league with his productivity thus far. He should be a near pro-bowl lock already. He is also not half bad in coverage at that.

Sniper
10-19-2008, 08:16 PM
Another player I don't think most people know about quite yet is Lamarr Woodley for the Steelers. Second year player out of Michigan, mainly sat on the bench last year, but still racked up 4 sacks in limited snaps. He has been unreal so far this season. 7.5 sacks 2 FF, 1 INT, and a fumble recovery for a TD. He was at the top of the league in an article detailing which players individually have pressured the QB the most this season. He is already one of the best OLB's in the league with his productivity thus far. He should be a near pro-bowl lock already. He is also not half bad in coverage at that.

LAMARR!

I wish UM still had LaMarr. Sure could use him :( I couldn't figure out why he only played 80 snaps last year. That's just dumb.

JonasBlane
10-19-2008, 08:27 PM
I wasn't quite sure of that either. Seeing him this year, there's no way he wouldn't have had more production than Haggans if he had his snaps. Hell, he almost did have more production than Haggans in just 40 snaps!

The Unseen
10-19-2008, 08:30 PM
Tony Pashos and Mike Walker have already been added, so I'm not sure who I can add.

Some guys who are not that under the radar but aren't exactly well known would be Brian Williams and Greg Jones. Well, alot of people here know about Greg Jones, but he's a Pro Bowl level FB who has had some clutch catches this year.

BuckNaked
10-19-2008, 08:58 PM
nobody on the vikings

BlindSite
10-19-2008, 09:29 PM
Somebody mentioned Aaron Smith already, I'm really hoping people know who he is now after being mentioned in the underrated category for about 5 years now, and having a pro-bowl to his name. He is definitely the real star of the Steeler's DL. Not a knock on Casey Hampton. But Aaron Smith is just an incredibly solid football player. '04 Hampton was out almost all year, Smith held the DL together, this year same thing. Last season Smith was out for a while, and we were giving up anywhere between 100-250 yards on the ground almost every game.

I don't know how Lamarr Woodley can get up in the morning with so many steelers fans slobbing on his junk.

He's a decent player, but he's nothing special yet, and he's not unknown.

Sniper
10-19-2008, 09:31 PM
He's a decent player, but he's nothing special yet, and he's not unknown.

This post is so wrong in so many ways. I wonder who's fourth in the NFL in sacks? Must be a player who isn't special. The guy had four sacks in 80 snaps last year, and in the one game he started (Playoff game vs. JAX) he had two sacks.

BlindSite
10-20-2008, 12:09 AM
This post is so wrong in so many ways. I wonder who's fourth in the NFL in sacks? Must be a player who isn't special. The guy had four sacks in 80 snaps last year, and in the one game he started (Playoff game vs. JAX) he had two sacks.

Since when in the hell has sacks been the only factor in whether a player has any talent?

Does him having more sacks than Haynesworth or Abraham make him a more valuable player?

Besides which I didn't say he was a bad player, I said he was decent, which he is, just because I'm not anointing him as the best player in the NFL like Steelers homers are fawning to do doesn't make me wrong.

Sniper
10-20-2008, 12:10 AM
Since when in the hell has sacks been the only factor in whether a player has any talent?

Does him having more sacks than Haynesworth or Abraham make him a more valuable player?

Besides which I didn't say he was a bad player, I said he was decent, which he is, just because I'm not anointing him as the best player in the NFL like Steelers homers are fawning to do doesn't make me wrong.

Have you watched LaMarr play recently? He's silly good.

BlindSite
10-20-2008, 12:12 AM
Have you watched LaMarr play recently? He's silly good.

No, he's a former wolverine so in your eyes he's the next LT.

Houston, Cincy and Jax all have bad offensive lines this season and that's where he recorded most of his sacks. While I agree for a 23 year old he's ahead of his development, but he's still not an elite OLB.

Sniper
10-20-2008, 12:14 AM
No, he's a former wolverine so in your eyes he's the next LT.

Nonsense. If that were true, Dhani Jones would be my pick for NFL DPOY. He's leading the league in tackles.

terribletowel39
10-20-2008, 12:16 AM
Sniper speaks truth. The man has a ton of talent. Yes, I am a Steeler fan. I am not, however, anointing him best player in the NFL. He isn't even the 3rd or 4th best player on our defense. Troy P., Casey, Harrison, Aaron Smith, and Ike Taylor are all better players than him. That still doesn't mean he isn't crazy talented. He is a beast against the run and rushes the passer OBVIOUSLY very well. James Harrison and Lamar Woodley have combined for 16 sacks already this year. 11 of which have come in the last 3 games. Thats impressive and a bit better than decent, wouldn't ya say??

Just to add to this post. 21 teams don't have 16 sacks yet and two players on the Steelers D do, one being Woodley. Also 3 teams don't have a total number of sacks higher than Woodley, one of them being the Patriots.

BlindSite
10-20-2008, 12:58 AM
SNIPER is acting like I'm a hater, I've already said, he's ahead of his development and playing strong football against bad teams. Still he's playing behind a very good defensive line and across from Harrison who's a much better OLB than he is.

A lot of his performance is coming against bad teams, with not a lot of focus on him from the offense.

As I said, for the second time, for a 23 year old OLB, he's well ahead of his development.

Mr. Stiller
10-20-2008, 03:57 AM
SNIPER is acting like I'm a hater, I've already said, he's ahead of his development and playing strong football against bad teams. Still he's playing behind a very good defensive line and across from Harrison who's a much better OLB than he is.

A lot of his performance is coming against bad teams, with not a lot of focus on him from the offense.

As I said, for the second time, for a 23 year old OLB, he's well ahead of his development.

That didn't Stop anyone on the Argument that Mario Williams is the best player in the league?

Why the Double Standard.. Mario racks his #'s up against bad OL's (Pittsburgh, Indianapolis).

He did squat vs. DET and Jax.

Have you watched the Steelers games this year?

Harrison has 8.5 Sacks, LaMarr has 7.5.

LaMarr has 2 PD's, 1 INT, 2 FF's, 3 FR's and 1 TD.

I don't think you could ask anymore from a player. I mean, especially when other players are getting more accolades for doing less.

As for the Steelers:

if theres anyone Under the Radar.. Should be Mewelde Moore or Nate Washington.

The Defense is pretty well known.. Lawrence Timmons threw himself a coming out party today.

Nate Washington is a pretty unknown #3 UDFA WR from Tiffin 2 years ago. His hands have been suspect the last 2 years but he hasn't dropped a catchable ball this season. He's been more consistent with the ball than Ward/Holmes.

MeMo could be considered unknown for some fans outside of Minnesota/Pittsburgh. He's not fast, but he'll slice through a defense like very few backs seem to be able to.

Shiver
10-20-2008, 04:23 AM
Harvey Dahl is a madman and a great run blocker. He is one of main reasons Michael Turner is doing as well as he is.

PACKmanN
10-20-2008, 09:50 AM
Did you notice that when he was injured during the Browns game, our pass-rush severely went downhill?

Everything about his game reminds me of a young Aaron Kampman. I was upset when we let him go. For the Packers, I say its between Scott Wells and Nick Collins.

Yatta!
10-20-2008, 11:31 AM
For the Packers, I say its between Scott Wells and Nick Collins.

Nick Collins has really stepped up this year. He has been exactly the sort of playmaker that we were missing last year. Hopefully he keeps it up.

tjsunstein
10-20-2008, 01:13 PM
Tramon Williams - has filled in great for Al Harris, dont know if hes still flying under the radar chances are not.

Korey Hall - One of my favorite Packers. Came out of Boise State as a linebacker and converted to FB for us. He started 10 games as a rookie last year and contributed to Grant's success as his lead blocker. Hes also great out of the backfield as a check down reciever.