PDA

View Full Version : Kitna speaking out

Starvsnr
10-16-2008, 01:21 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3646327

"Detroit Lions quarterback Jon Kitna, who was placed on the injured reserve list on Tuesday, said Wednesday that the team wanted to replace him as the starter and used his back injury as an excuse to do so."

Hey, whatever it takes.

eaglesalltheway
10-16-2008, 01:26 PM
I was kind of surprised when he was put on IR, but that was because I wasn't aware of the back injury, but it doesn't surprise me that a situation like this would pan out either. Honestly, I don't think the QB will make a big difference on the outcome of their season though.

Brent
10-16-2008, 01:35 PM
Well, it isnt like they could do worse.

ChezPower4
10-16-2008, 01:54 PM
They should have replaced him as the starter he wasn't playing well and that's what happens in the NFL when you don't play well you get benched.... what did he think was gonna happen. The back injury is just a way to be nice about putting someone else in IMO.

FlyingElvis
10-16-2008, 01:55 PM
I agree with him that the coaches +/- FO should have said outright they were giving him the hook, rather than using IR. Of course, that is assuming what he says is true and his injury was not serious enough to warrant immediate IR.

Considering the number of guys w/back issues who are playing through pain or given at least a few weeks to check their progression before dumping them on IR, I'd have to say Kitna probably speaks the truth. But players always want to play and will occasionally speak nonsense when they get their ego bruised.

Scotty D
10-16-2008, 02:00 PM
I think they will need to reach an injury settlement to make him a free agent or they could get in trouble with the league.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-16-2008, 02:04 PM
He sucks, but he's right. I love how teams sugar coat things. The Redskins released punter Durant Brooks because of an "injury" issue. At least they did what the Lions should do and give him an injury settlement.

diabsoule
10-16-2008, 02:20 PM
Kitna is a good back-up, and a decent starter if put into the right situation, but he is not a long term answer which is something the Lions should have realized a long time ago.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-16-2008, 02:21 PM
Problem is it's not like the Lions had the long term answer stashed behind him.

ChezPower4
10-16-2008, 02:33 PM
Problem is it's not like the Lions had the long term answer stashed behind him.

Come on, are you kidding did not watch Dan Orlovsky.... He's the Future baby!!!

Menardo75
10-16-2008, 02:34 PM
Yeah sucks for Kitna his time has come and passed. Really do not like the way the Lions handeled it though.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-16-2008, 02:35 PM
Come on, are you kidding did not watch Dan Orlovsky.... He's the Future baby!!!

Lol that had to be the funniest thing Orlovsky rolling out in the endzone not realizing he was already 5 yards out of the endzone, haha.

NY+Giants=NYG
10-16-2008, 02:46 PM
Lol that had to be the funniest thing Orlovsky rolling out in the endzone not realizing he was already 5 yards out of the endzone, haha.

Haha yea it was, but even funnier was watching the reaction of the fans in the back of the endzone point and screaming! hahaha that was very priceless!

Prowler
10-16-2008, 03:00 PM
there's a reason why nobody traded for him a couple of days ago, he's not worth it anymore. time to put him to pasture.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-16-2008, 03:08 PM
there's a reason why nobody traded for him a couple of days ago, he's not worth it anymore. time to put him to pasture.

Also it doesn't help to execute a trade when the team says they will either put him on IR or trade him. Doesn't give you much leverage in any trade.

MaxV
10-16-2008, 03:10 PM
What's the word on Stanton?

10-16-2008, 03:10 PM
There's gotta be some sorta injury settlement here. I'm not gonna lie it's kinda funny though ha.

Shane P. Hallam
10-16-2008, 03:19 PM
Well, they tried to trade him since they didn't want him as a starter. Talks fell through with the 49ers, so they put him on IR.

As for Stanton, looks like Orlovsky is the choice for the "foreseeable future." I don't think Stanton will really see the field for a long time.

Prowler
10-16-2008, 03:24 PM
well i'm sure we would have just told the 49ers and others that we were faking the injury...

some nice little stats about kitna. 129 sacks and 44 picks in 36 games with the lions. last year he was sacked 10 times in one game by the eagles...i'm surprised he can still move with all that punishment. he gets sacked 3.58 times a game

leroyisgod
10-16-2008, 03:28 PM
Mr 10-6 needs to shut his mouth!!!

CC.SD
10-16-2008, 03:32 PM
Next year he'll be 10-6 from his couch.

ChezPower4
10-16-2008, 04:34 PM

He's a real winner that Orlovsky

BlindSite
10-16-2008, 05:06 PM
I can understand wanting to see what you've got in Orlovsky and Stanton, but why not keep kitna on the bench for a few weeks in case those two are worse.

Brent
10-16-2008, 05:12 PM
Next year he'll be 10-6 from his couch.
don't you mean church pew?

LonghornsLegend
10-16-2008, 05:18 PM
Also it doesn't help to execute a trade when the team says they will either put him on IR or trade him. Doesn't give you much leverage in any trade.

Yea I didn't understand that at all, why would they even release something like that? Who is giving up a pick for a guy your saying your gonna put on IR.

Gay Ork Wang
10-16-2008, 05:25 PM
He needs a nickname.

Dan "Roll out" Orlovsky maybe?

Prowler
10-16-2008, 05:36 PM
he can still 'play' in terms of going out there and throwing the ball and acting like a quarterback...its just he's not any good at it. and being on IR on the lions and starting for your team while brady, palmer, or whoever is out is a huge difference to whoever would have gotten him. its just a bulged disc or whatever that everyone gets.

but this way is the best now because the season was over, kitna would have been a huge distraction by sitting on the bench while the young ones played. plus it gets us a top 2 pick

PACKmanN
10-16-2008, 05:37 PM
would he really want them to say the truth, lol.

ChezPower4
10-16-2008, 05:38 PM
He needs a nickname.

Dan " roll our of bounds" Orlovsky haha

GB12
10-16-2008, 05:38 PM
Yea I didn't understand that at all, why would they even release something like that? Who is giving up a pick for a guy your saying your gonna put on IR.
I disagree. By saying they're going to either trade him or put him on IR that lets teams know that if they want him they have to trade because the Lions aren't going to release him.

BlindSite
10-16-2008, 05:40 PM
No one would trade for Kitna anyway.

Menardo75
10-16-2008, 06:01 PM
That scares me if the Niners were flirting with it.

Geo
10-16-2008, 06:13 PM
He sucked this season, his back is injured, and he's not the future. Kitna can pick any one of those reasons and shut his stupid mouth up.

What an insufferable prick when things are down. As a captain and a leader, he's a complete farce. Good riddance.

GB12
10-16-2008, 06:14 PM
He sucked this season, his back is injured, and he's not the future. Kitna can pick any one of those reasons and shut his stupid mouth up.

What an insufferable prick when things are down. As a captain and a leader, he's a complete farce. Good riddance.
When I first read that I thought "How the hell was he a captain", but then I remembered who he played for.

Iamcanadian
10-16-2008, 10:42 PM
I think they will need to reach an injury settlement to make him a free agent or they could get in trouble with the league.

I agree, in fact this move could back fire significantly and detroit could lose picks before all is said and done. The league doesn't like teams that lie about injuries and Detroit could get punished severely.

LonghornsLegend
10-16-2008, 10:48 PM
I disagree. By saying they're going to either trade him or put him on IR that lets teams know that if they want him they have to trade because the Lions aren't going to release him.

You have to have some sort of injury to even go on IR, which was my point in that I doubt anyone was going to be eager to trade picks for an injured, below average QB.

P-L
10-16-2008, 10:58 PM
He just would've bitched more if the Lions flat out benched him.

marks01234
10-17-2008, 11:21 AM
he can still 'play' in terms of going out there and throwing the ball and acting like a quarterback...its just he's not any good at it. and being on IR on the lions and starting for your team while brady, palmer, or whoever is out is a huge difference to whoever would have gotten him. its just a bulged disc or whatever that everyone gets.

but this way is the best now because the season was over, kitna would have been a huge distraction by sitting on the bench while the young ones played. plus it gets us a top 2 pick

I agree - it was a smart movie on the Lions part.

Kitna is injuried. It doesn't matter the extent. It is going to be a while before he is 100%, if at all this season. I understand the Lions position - it is just business.

Kitna thinks he can still play? Gee, who cares. Of course, he thinks he can still play with his injury. You could probably call Jeff George and he would tell you he could start tomorrow.

Prowler
10-17-2008, 12:59 PM
lol, jeff george. boy could he throw a spiral in practice

Brodeur
10-18-2008, 10:13 PM
He needs a nickname.

How about Dan "There's a reason I was behind Joey Harrington, an injury hobbled Jeff Garcia, JT O'Sullivan, and Jon Kitna amongst others for four years" Orlovsky?

Gay Ork Wang
10-19-2008, 05:40 AM
Dan "TARIBJHAIHJGJTOSAJKAOF4Y" Orlovsky ftw?

Prowler
10-19-2008, 10:46 AM
dan "15 yard dropback" orvlosky