PDA

View Full Version : Post McCargo frenzy: DTs for the Colts

indyfan1985
10-16-2008, 03:04 PM
Now that we were unsuccessful at acquring DT John McCargo, it is VERY clear now that we HAVE TO get a DT very early in the 09 draft. We might even have to sign a FA DT. I think the Colts should really push for getting Sen Derrick Marks from Auburn, and I would be fine with trading up to get him if we had to. If we were picking between the 24-32 range, we could trade up to the mid 1st round range by just trading our 1st and 3rd and I think that would work.

Geo
10-16-2008, 05:57 PM
The attempted McCargo trade was a worthwhile flier to take a chance on. I don't know if it necessarily changes things, in terms of the impending offseason/Draft, unless Muir and/or McCargo really took hold in the remainder of the season.

I read that McCargo practiced with the Bills today, which is very interesting.

For this season at least, given that the McCargo trade didn't work, they now need a bigger body to rotate in - whether it be LaJuan Ramsey as before or someone else.

And I still don't think the Colts will go DT in the first round, unless the right guy can reach their pick. I'm going to remain skeptical for the most part, especially as I think first round defensive tackles could be among the most overrated things in the Draft.

UKfan
10-17-2008, 08:25 AM
I would love Sen'Derrick Marks on the Colts, I can't see him failing.

Dam8610
10-18-2008, 02:39 PM
Darryl Richard and Myron Pryor have impressed me every time I've watched them play, and I've seen both play multiple times. I have no idea where either will end up graded, but I wouldn't mind seeing both as Colts next year. Both seem to live in the backfield, at least when I've watched them play. Richard seemed to be in Clemson's backfield every other play today. If Pryor has an impact against Arkansas tonight, I'll be completely sold on him.

Dam8610
10-18-2008, 02:59 PM

That would be nice, but from what I've heard about him (haven't gotten a chance to see him play yet), he'd probably be a Top 15 pick.

UKfan
10-18-2008, 03:01 PM
That would be nice, but from what I've heard about him (haven't gotten a chance to see him play yet), he'd probably be a Top 15 pick.

I agree no doubt, but I would love it nonetheless, even if it meant trading up slightly, but I know we wont so I hope somehow he can fall.

Geo
10-18-2008, 05:42 PM
Darryl Richard and Myron Pryor have impressed me every time I've watched them play, and I've seen both play multiple times. I have no idea where either will end up graded, but I wouldn't mind seeing both as Colts next year. Both seem to live in the backfield, at least when I've watched them play. Richard seemed to be in Clemson's backfield every other play today. If Pryor has an impact against Arkansas tonight, I'll be completely sold on him.
Glad you noticed Richard too Dam, I've been trying to watch as much Georgia Tech as possible this year to see him (and teammates Michael Johnson and Vance Walker) and come away really liking him as well. Does a very solid job as NT for Georgia Tech, and seems like he could fit the Colts' one-gap scheme as their NT. If the Colts can get him in the 4th or even spend their 3rd round pick to get him, I'd be pleased.

Character-wise and intelligence-wise, he seems to pass with flying colors, although I don't know if the latter triggers any concern because it's not always a smart man's position - at least in terms of longevity. I think I like him more than his more heralded teammate in Walker.

Pryor, I've seen a little of, and think he does some good things as well.

Geo
10-18-2008, 05:55 PM
I agree no doubt, but I would love it nonetheless, even if it meant trading up slightly, but I know we wont so I hope somehow he can fall.
I remember checking what the Colts could do to trade up in '06, if they really wanted a RB ... and I think per the draft value chart (outdated as it is), it would take #30 and two 3rds to move up to #20. Something like that, it's not cheap. And probably unlikely for the Colts.

Now, we'll see where Marks goes or if he even declares. I would think he does, he's a three-year starter at Auburn and imo he is the number one draft-eligible defensive tackle in the class. A Top 15 pick, if not better. I feel he's a better prospect that Amobi Okoye was and is up there with Glenn Dorsey (without the hype he built up). Maybe that isn't the case though.

Dam8610
10-18-2008, 08:57 PM
Pryor, I've seen a little of, and think he does some good things as well.

If you get ESPNU, check him out tonight, he's looking good against Arkansas. On a few plays, he's pushed doubles back. I've heard nothing but good about Johnathan Luigs, but Pryor has pushed him around on a few occasions.

As for Richard, I too started watching Ga Tech to see his teammate, Vance Walker, and every time I watch Ga Tech, I can't help but notice #95, he seems to be making plays every time he's on the field. These two would make a nice duo if the Colts could grab both.

chad72
10-24-2008, 11:27 AM
Let us not forget DEs like Tyson Jackson who can be disruptive and play DT in our 4-3 system just fine. He is around 290 lbs, if I am right, bulky enough and fast enough, good fit for our system for DT.

Prospects that I like:

Fili Moala, DT, USC - 6'5- 295
Tyson Jackson, DT, LSU - 6'5- 292
DeMarcus Granger, DT, Oklahoma - 6'2- 302
Evander Hood, DT, Missouri - 6'3, 295
Terrance Taylor, DT, Michigan - 6'1, 285
Nader Abdallah, DT, Ohio State - 6'4, 300

chad72
10-24-2008, 11:30 AM
Also, we need to get depth in LB (if Brackett or Keiaho leaves), CB (if Hayden leaves or Jennings is cut, I like Victor Harris, he can make a good Cover 2 CB), RB (if Addai continues to have injuries and BP does not want to franchise him which I do not see happening like Edge), and OT (if Ryan Diem is cut to save about $6.3 mil. in order to re-sign Jeff Saturday).

I think BP takes the best player available on defense in the first round and won't stretch for a second round caliber DT just because we need a DT. Of course, Tyson Jackson or Evander Hood can fall to us even if we pick after 25.

RCAChainGang
10-24-2008, 10:34 PM

When is he estimated to be drafted?

Dam8610
10-25-2008, 01:15 AM
When is he estimated to be drafted?

Really early right now, but with the hype he's getting, he'll probably wind up a Top 15 pick.

Geo
10-25-2008, 10:56 AM
I'm starting to think there's a chance Marks could fall a bit from that. A few reasons:

+ Maybe the sprained ankle injury he suffered two weeks or so ago is limiting him some, because he didn't fully look his dominant self against West Virginia this past Thursday (still was good imo). Remember Joseph Addai having his stellar senior season derailed by a high ankle sprain (I think it was) that took him out for a bit plus he returned too early which led him to reaggravate the injury, all of which made him less effective for a good while. It wasn't until the bowl game against Miami where he was fully healthy again, and thus he looked great again against the Hurricanes. Maybe this injury potentially hurts Marks' draft status a bit, but that could be beneficial to the Colts - hopefully at the bottom of the first round.

+ This might be a bigger factor. Marks' height is listed at 6-1, and some teams might have a hard time overlooking that. Especially as we're not talking about a nose tackle at 320 lbs., he's a 3-tech prospect around 290, 295 lbs. instead. If Marks should even come in closer to 6 feet, that could be huge for the Colts. No problem for them, they don't discount a prospect for height when he has the talent and his weight is still good (think Bob Sanders, also Maurice Jones-Drew - short but not small). The last DT to be drafted around that size was Mike Peterson by the Eagles with the 31st pick in '05, I believe. Plus, a shorter height helps leverage.

+ If Marks declares for the Draft, obviously as a junior he won't be eligible to play in the Senior Bowl. So scouts and coaches might not have the chance to really fall in love with his ability in that setting.

- Even if the above hurts Marks a bit, given the defensive draft class and who is (or isn't) at the top, Marks could likely be the #1 guy nonetheless and get drafted earlier than later. From what I have read, it doesn't seem like Marks is a unanimous/consensus pick, however his being a junior (he has to declare first) might have something to do with that.

Geo
10-25-2008, 11:45 PM
Fili Moala of Southern Cal is looking great tonight at Arizona imo. If he could bring this motor and effort for every game, he could be in serious consideration for the Colts. Holding his ground against double teams well, shedding linemen at times, and is looking very good shooting his gap in Southern Cal's one-gap scheme (Carroll has major history with Monte Kiffin). Saw him line up as a NT and even a NG a bit, plus maybe even DE two or three times.

Granted, he's not the best DT when it comes to lateral quickness, he'd probably get beat by Pitcock trying to chase down a ballcarrier towards the sideline. But his first step is looking pretty good, combined with a big frame. I'd love to see him at NT for the Colts, again assuming he could bring it like he's bringing it tonight.

If he checks out for the Colts, both as a player and character-wise, such that they would draft him, I'd be pleased. I don't know if he will. But tonight at least he's looking like everything I would want from a defensive tackle to draft for the Colts (if only Terrance Taylor could look this good.)

MaxV
10-27-2008, 10:31 PM
With the way this team has played lately, don't be surprised if we do end up picking in the top 15.

Geo
10-27-2008, 11:06 PM
1. Honestly, I am (or was, see #2) considering Fili Moala for the Colts' 1st round pick. I still think they will be picking amongst the playoff teams, and admittedly hold hope of them picking at #32 to be truly honest. I do.

And I was so impressed with Moala, and afterwards checked some highlight clips of the Ohio State and the Oregon State games just to see if he looked bad (especially the upset in the latter), but he looked okay to good in those games too from what I saw.

I know this is weird because I actually did badmouth the idea of the pick before this season, but I'll admit when I think I'm wrong and maybe Moala could check out. However ...

2. The last two weeks hinted at this, but after tonight as well, I'm not even sure I can say DT is such an issue that the Colts have to spend a first round pick at the position. Could be back to BPA, if it wasn't that already which I thought it was. That said, I might still consider Moala (or Marks or Oghobaase instead if they declare). I caught Muir a few times doing some good things along with Foster and Dawson looking better and holding their own, so if NT isn't that huge a need, the Colts could wait a round or two to bolster that position. They will address NT sometime during the Draft, but it doesn't necessarily have to be the first round.

Hey, look at the Bucs and the Giants. I don't see a first round defensive tackle there. People need to keep that in mind imo. Look at this Tony Brown fella of the Titans tonight, he bounced around some teams before landing with the Titans in his fourth year.

Don Vito
10-27-2008, 11:12 PM
How do you guys feel about Peria Jerry? He would be a solid fit for a tampa 2 defense, he gets penetration and can get to the QB.

Geo
10-27-2008, 11:20 PM
I don't buy him as a first round pick [for the Colts], personally. I like the guy, but he's more second round solid than first round good if that makes sense. I like his production the last two seasons, I like that he not only produced once but is proving himself with a repeat performance, but his durability is a real concern imo. Although him coming back so soon from injury this season is a plus, shows his heart for the game.

Obviously, he's more of the three-technique tackle. The Colts are looking for a NT, although if Polian's comments about the new trend(s) in the league is true and that tweaks the Colts' drafting, they could look for 3-tech tackle in the first perhaps. There could additionally be some interesting juniors if they are looking so, in the aforementioned Marks and perhaps Geno Atkins of Georgia.

Also Vince Oghobaase of Duke, who I like (from what I've read and little I've seen). I would definitely consider him in the first, I think.

BBD has inspired me to post my Colts big board, I want to try and do that. Hopefully have it up by Wednesday.

indyfan1985
10-28-2008, 09:26 PM
Also, we need to get depth in LB (if Brackett or Keiaho leaves), CB (if Hayden leaves or Jennings is cut, I like Victor Harris, he can make a good Cover 2 CB), RB (if Addai continues to have injuries and BP does not want to franchise him which I do not see happening like Edge), and OT (if Ryan Diem is cut to save about $6.3 mil. in order to re-sign Jeff Saturday).

I think BP takes the best player available on defense in the first round and won't stretch for a second round caliber DT just because we need a DT. Of course, Tyson Jackson or Evander Hood can fall to us even if we pick after 25.

I agree that BP will and should take the best defensive player that is available in the 1st round. I think he should take whoever is left between Sen'Derrick Marks, James Laurenitus, and Brandon Spikes.

scottyboy
10-28-2008, 09:27 PM
Foster was everywhere last night. Totally undersized as a NT, but his motor fits in perfectly with your D. He better stick dammit, he looked pretty good last night

indyfan1985
10-28-2008, 09:34 PM
How do you guys feel about Peria Jerry? He would be a solid fit for a tampa 2 defense, he gets penetration and can get to the QB.

As a 2nd rounder sure. I dont think he is worth a 1st round pick though. The only DT that is worth a 1st round pick for the Colts is Sen'Derrick Marks.