PDA

View Full Version : The Next Marques Colston?

thebow305
10-17-2008, 12:13 AM
Per Rotoworld:

Dolphins coach Tony Sparano is a fan of special teamer and wide receiver project Brandon London.

"Hes getting a whole lot better fast," Sparano said regarding London's progress as a receiver. Deep Dynasty leaguers should take note as London, though raw, has prototypical size and athleticism with little in the way of talent in front of him.

Link: http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/palmbeach/miamidolphins/entries/2008/10/16/brains_not_brawn_key_to.html?cxntfid=blogs_inside_ the_dolphins

Now the question I propose to you is that, if given the chance by the Dolphins coaching staff, which seems very likely at this point, could Brandon London become the next Marques Colston? He is a big, fast, physical reciever from a small school that got overlooked by every team in the draft, not much different from Colston.

Their pre-draft numbers are very similar:

Colston: Weight: 224 lbs, 40 yd: 4.50 Vert: 37"
London: Weight: 214 lbs, 40 yd: 4.55 Vert: 38"

Their production at small colleges was also very similar:

Colston's Senior Year Stats at Hofstra: 70 rec. for 976 yards (13.9 avg.) and 5 touchdowns

London's Senior Year Stats at UMass: 50 rec. for 781 yards (15.6 avg.) and 9 touchdowns.

My opinion is that London got caught up in a numbers game with way too many young talented receivers in the Big Apple, so he was let go. But much like Colston, the opportunity to play a hefty amount in his offense is there and his for the taking.

The Dolphins' need for a big-time receiver in their offense may not to too far away after all, and he may, in fact, be right under their noses.

Thoughts!?

thebow305
10-17-2008, 12:15 AM
Sorry for this not being in the team forum, I just thought it could be a nice discussion for all and wanted the opportunity to share my thoughts with and get the opinions of the entire DC community, not just the Phins Fans.

bantx
10-17-2008, 12:20 AM
I demand u take that gif off! lol

Saints-Tigers
10-17-2008, 12:25 AM
Per Rotoworld:

Dolphins coach Tony Sparano is a fan of special teamer and wide receiver project Brandon London.

"Hes getting a whole lot better fast," Sparano said regarding London's progress as a receiver. Deep Dynasty leaguers should take note as London, though raw, has prototypical size and athleticism with little in the way of talent in front of him.

Link: http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/palmbeach/miamidolphins/entries/2008/10/16/brains_not_brawn_key_to.html?cxntfid=blogs_inside_ the_dolphins

Now the question I propose to you is that, if given the chance by the Dolphins coaching staff, which seems very likely at this point, could Brandon London become the next Marques Colston? He is a big, fast, physical reciever from a small school that got overlooked by every team in the draft, not much different from Colston.

Colston's Senior Year Stats at Hofstra: 70 rec. for 976 yards (13.9 avg.) and 5 touchdowns

London's Senior Year Stats at UMass: 50 rec. for 781 yards (15.6 avg.) and 9 touchdowns.

My opinion is that London got caught up in a numbers game with way too many young talented receivers in the Big Apple, so he was let go. But much like Colston, the opportunity to play a hefty amount in his offense is there and his for the taking.

The Dolphins' need for a big-time receiver in their offense may not to too far away after all, and he may, in fact, be right under their noses.

Thoughts!?

Difference is, Colston had established himself as the go-to guy at this point in 06.... who is this guy?

Finz99
10-17-2008, 12:29 AM
Well I'm guessing you're going to find a lot of people that think this is dumb, as most people don't know much about him. But I think he's a good player, and with the right kind of coaching he could become a pretty solid reciever. I wouldn't mind having Ginn (speed) in the slot, with Camarillo (possession) and London (big and physical) as the 1 and 2. He threw a killer block on the 80 yard screen pass, and I hope he gets to see the field more towards the end of the year.

thebow305
10-17-2008, 12:29 AM
Difference is, Colston had established himself as the go-to guy at this point in 06.... who is this guy?

He just got his shot a lot earlier than London did. Stallworth got traded and you guys really had no better options so you inserted the big, fast rookie in the starting lineup and the rest was history. We don't pass that much right now, so we need reliable hands out there when we do, hence the reason Camarillo and Fasano have been our main pass catchers so far this year. As the year progresses, I feel the staff will get more confortable with the offense and start using some of our younger, talented receivers more (Ginn, London, Bess).

LonghornsLegend
10-17-2008, 12:30 AM
I have heard ALOT of good things about this guy, granted right now it's just hype and potential but the Fins have been high on him for some time and most people who saw him play in NY had good things to say about him.

Maybe he can be another target for Henne in the red zone at some point, but I am in a few dynasty leagues so it's interesting news on that note, stashed him in a few myself.

steelersfan43
10-17-2008, 12:35 AM
Per Rotoworld:

Thoughts!?
The senior numbers are not similer at all. I dont know how someone could look at them and say they are.

thebow305
10-17-2008, 12:41 AM
The senior numbers are not similer at all. I dont know how someone could look at them and say they are.

Ok, so Colston had about 200 yards more, but 4 less TD's and on 20 more receptions than London.

TigerBait45
10-17-2008, 12:47 AM
He just got his shot a lot earlier than London did. Stallworth got traded and you guys really had no better options so you inserted the big, fast rookie in the starting lineup and the rest was history.

I believe he was the reason they felt Stallworth was expendable enough to trade. Colston blew up from day one.

thebow305
10-17-2008, 12:50 AM
I believe he was the reason they felt Stallworth was expendable enough to trade. Colston blew up from day one.

Ok, so a poor man's Marques Colston. It's obviously ridiculous to expect someone to become what Marques did. He went from smalltime to bigtime VERY fast and while I am not saying it will happen, I'm just speculating that there is a chance with this guy.

Saints-Tigers
10-17-2008, 12:53 AM
Colston didn't just get the job because he was there, he won the starting spot in camp which moved Joe Horn into the second receiver spot, and made Donte' expendable.

He was trash when he first entered camp, but he progressed so fast, they had to give him the job.

thebow305
10-17-2008, 01:07 AM
Colston didn't just get the job because he was there, he won the starting spot in camp which moved Joe Horn into the second receiver spot, and made Donte' expendable.

He was trash when he first entered camp, but he progressed so fast, they had to give him the job.

Which is what London seems to be doing if you read the article Tony talks about how fast he is progressing. He just got a later start on things than Colston did.

steelersfan43
10-17-2008, 01:07 AM
Ok, so Colston had about 200 yards more, but 4 less TD's and on 20 more receptions than London.

Colston had 40% more catches 25% more yards and 45% less touchdowns. Thats pretty significant

holt_bruce81
10-17-2008, 01:16 AM
Man Colston is a once in every 20 or so drafts type of player, love it how every year now people are going to be asking "who's this years Colston?"

Caddy
10-17-2008, 02:03 AM
Man Colston is a once in every 20 or so drafts type of player, love it how every year now people are going to be asking "who's this years Colston?"

As far as being a 7th round wide receiver who has far exceeded expectations, they aren't exactly a once in 20 year thing. Donald Driver and TJ Houshmanzadeh are other examples of guys drafted late and being big time contributors.

Bruce Banner
10-17-2008, 02:55 AM
How about the first Brandon London?

Jughead10
10-17-2008, 10:05 AM

This is exactly what happened. He was our last cut. Everyone saw his potential but we weren't going to keep him over Hixon or 3rd round pick Manningham. We may one day regret letting him go over Sinorice Moss. We hoped he would clear waivers and make it back to the practice squad. Didn't happen.

giantsfan
10-17-2008, 10:50 AM
I sure hope so. I didn't want us to waive him, although he wasn't going to beat out Plax, Toomer, Hixon or Mario. It was basically London, Moss, Tyree or Jennings and we went with Sinorice Moss, who's been better this season but still not as useful as london could've been.

10-17-2008, 10:58 AM
Credit to the Giants incredible scouting system which appears to be producing possible studs year after year. It's unfortunate they could never seem to keep them all.

Jughead10
10-17-2008, 11:00 AM
Credit to the Giants incredible scouting system which appears to be producing possible studs year after year. It's unfortunate they could never seem to keep them all.

Kevin Walter was another one. He could have been useful over the last 3-4 years.

giantsfan
10-17-2008, 11:08 AM
Kevin Walter was another one. He could have been useful over the last 3-4 years.

And Ryan Grant if we're talking about all offensive skill positions. I guess any team in need of help at the skill positions should just sign any 7th rounder or UDFA off our practise squad.

10-17-2008, 11:16 AM
And Ryan Grant if we're talking about all offensive skill positions. I guess any team in need of help at the skill positions should just sign any 7th rounder or UDFA off our practise squad.

This is where it gets crazy. Cameron Wake, a defensive end for the BC Lions of the CFL and leading candidate to win league MVP is another product of the Giants system. He's on pace to break the league sack record of 26 and owns a reported 46' vertical. He played LB for Penn State and I think there is no doubt he will get another shot in the NFL.

Number 10
10-17-2008, 11:52 AM
We know a lot about him in here in NY.

I don't see the comparison with Colston in terms of talent. Colston has some of the biggest and softest hands you will find, London was still showing poor tendencies in his catching mechanics this past August. Colston runs very, very good intermediate routes while London is slow out of his breaks and he rounds too many routes off.

That bad comparison aside, London is a guy that can help that team out in many ways. He is a tough SOB that will break tackles in the open field and always give top effort in the run game. He is a special teams ace as well.

Flyboy
10-17-2008, 11:59 AM
Urm.... no.

Don Vito
10-17-2008, 12:16 PM
I liked London a lot at UMass. He is very physical and very talented, hopefully he blossoms into a great receiver.

d34ng3l021
10-17-2008, 12:47 PM
So by the next Colston, you mean to assume that he will be a top 5 receiver in the future, and establishes himself as a top 10 guy by his 2nd season?

No.

Even Housh and Driver did not enjoy the success that Colston has. And its nice to bring combine numbers into it, but they tell about 10% of the story. There are 100s of WRs with similar numbers to Colston. Why didnt they succeed?

CC.SD
10-17-2008, 04:08 PM
So by the next Colston, you mean to assume that he will be a top 5 receiver in the future, and establishes himself as a top 10 guy by his 2nd season?

No.

Even Housh and Driver did not enjoy the success that Colston has. And its nice to bring combine numbers into it, but they tell about 10% of the story. There are 100s of WRs with similar numbers to Colston. Why didnt they succeed?

What I'm about to say isn't a knock on Colston; I think he's a phonemonal talent and an excellent, Pro-Bowl caliber wideout.

But I also don't think he would have dropped to the 7th round and become this miraculous story if his coaches at Hofstra hadn't gone out of their way to bash him to the NFL scouts.

This same motivation to prove them wrong , combined with lots of opportunities in a young offense and an absolutely dynamic QB, have all been contributors in his amazing success.

Basically, it took a lot of things clicking into place to make Colston the success he is after being so neglected during the draft, and I don't see it happening again for a long time.

thebow305
10-17-2008, 10:25 PM
I liked London a lot at UMass. He is very physical and very talented, hopefully he blossoms into a great receiver.

Agreed. He should have his chance very soon with our below average receiving corps.

thebow305
10-17-2008, 10:31 PM
This is where it gets crazy. Cameron Wake, a defensive end for the BC Lions of the CFL and leading candidate to win league MVP is another product of the Giants system. He's on pace to break the league sack record of 26 and owns a reported 46' vertical. He played LB for Penn State and I think there is no doubt he will get another shot in the NFL.

Speaking of all these talent Giants players, I am a big fan of Danny Ware and believe he could be a really good back if/when he is ever given a shot, either in New York or elsewhere. Ryan Grant Part 2 IMO.

Jughead10
10-18-2008, 11:19 AM
Speaking of all these talent Giants players, I am a big fan of Danny Ware and believe he could be a really good back if/when he is ever given a shot, either in New York or elsewhere. Ryan Grant Part 2 IMO.

He would have had more of a shot if another team signed Derrick Ward. Do you realize Ward was a free agent and could not get enough interest from other teams, that he came back to the Giants and signed a one year deal for 1.1 million? I can't believe he didn't sign elsewhere. Good for us. But I think Ware will get a shot eventually, as one of either Ward or Jacobs will not be back next year.

Funny thing is that the Jets had both Ward and Ware on their practice squads at different times. And we signed them both from there.

Dam8610
10-18-2008, 01:15 PM
What I'm about to say isn't a knock on Colston; I think he's a phonemonal talent and an excellent, Pro-Bowl caliber wideout.

But I also don't think he would have dropped to the 7th round and become this miraculous story if his coaches at Hofstra hadn't gone out of their way to bash him to the NFL scouts.

This same motivation to prove them wrong , combined with lots of opportunities in a young offense and an absolutely dynamic QB, have all been contributors in his amazing success.

Basically, it took a lot of things clicking into place to make Colston the success he is after being so neglected during the draft, and I don't see it happening again for a long time.

Exactly, he was a 4th round grade on most boards from what I've heard before his coaches started talking to scouts. His coaches bad mouthed him, and he dropped a LONG way as a result.

Bruce Banner
10-18-2008, 01:16 PM
Why did his coaches **** on him?

Dam8610
10-18-2008, 01:32 PM

You'd have to ask them. Obviously whatever problems he had with them didn't translate to the next level.

Number 10
10-18-2008, 01:33 PM

It got blown a little out of proportion.

Colston sat out (in 2004 I believe) with a medical redshirt because of a shoulder injury. The medical staff told the Hofstra coach, name is escaping me right now, that he was cleared. Colston however did not want to risk it and Hofstra ended up having a crappy year and the coach blamed a lot of it on Colston. The next season, those two rarely spoke to each other and were often caught barking at each other on the sidelines.

All in all, the coach still have good reports to NFL teams but did not ignore the issues. I'm no sure that is bad mouthing, just more honesty than anything.

Dam8610
10-18-2008, 01:35 PM
It got blown a little out of proportion.

Colston sat out (in 2004 I believe) with a medical redshirt because of a shoulder injury. The medical staff told the Hofstra coach, name is escaping me right now, that he was cleared. Colston however did not want to risk it and Hofstra ended up having a crappy year and the coach blamed a lot of it on Colston. The next season, those two rarely spoke to each other and were often caught barking at each other on the sidelines.

All in all, the coach still have good reports to NFL teams but did not ignore the issues. I'm no sure that is bad mouthing, just more honesty than anything.

What that coach said potentially dropped him 3 rounds. Does that qualify as bad mouthing?

Number 10
10-18-2008, 01:41 PM
What that coach said potentially dropped him 3 rounds. Does that qualify as bad mouthing?

But was it deserved? You never know. Colston gave up on his team according to the medical and coaching staffs. Combine that with so-so numbers at a low level of college football....it is easy to blame draft spot on bad mouthing in hindsight.

But like I said, I think it was just his coach being honest more than trying to trash Colston. Mike Tannenbaum received a positive report about him from the Hofstra coach, keep that in mind.

TitanHope
10-18-2008, 05:36 PM
I saw him in person last year in the championship game against Appy St. He definitely impressed me, as I still recognize his name. Glad to hear that he's getting acclaim.

Oh, and though I'm extremely tired, my memory's having a better comparison to Plax Burress than Colston to London on the field...though I get the situational comparison.

Staubach12
10-19-2008, 02:02 PM
THERE IS NO NEXT MARCUS COLSTON!!!! Too many people are always speculating about WRs taken late who will make an immediate impact, but Colston is the exception, not the rule, especially at WR.

Vikes99ej
10-19-2008, 02:08 PM
Are we really wasting a thread on some dude who hasn't done anything in his career (and hasn't even played today)?

10-19-2008, 02:09 PM
Are we really wasting a thread on some dude who hasn't done anything in his career (and hasn't even played today)?

Yeah, he's yet to catch a pass this season. Great special teams player though lol.

thebow305
10-19-2008, 11:32 PM
He would have had more of a shot if another team signed Derrick Ward. Do you realize Ward was a free agent and could not get enough interest from other teams, that he came back to the Giants and signed a one year deal for 1.1 million? I can't believe he didn't sign elsewhere. Good for us. But I think Ware will get a shot eventually, as one of either Ward or Jacobs will not be back next year.

Funny thing is that the Jets had both Ward and Ware on their practice squads at different times. And we signed them both from there.

That makes me smile. :)