PDA

View Full Version : Daryll Clark, QB - Penn St.

Smokey Joe
10-18-2008, 09:39 PM
From watching Penn St. this season, I have been extremely impressed with Clark. I was just wondering what some of the impressions on here are of him. I personally think he has a chance to become a first day pick next year and be a starting QB in the NFL eventually.

SuperKevin
10-18-2008, 09:43 PM
Anyone else see a little Donovan McNabb in his game when they watch him?

Smokey Joe
10-18-2008, 09:51 PM
I was thinking more of David Garrard.

SuperKevin
10-18-2008, 09:51 PM

Or any other stocky black QB.

Smokey Joe
10-18-2008, 09:57 PM
Or any other stocky black QB.
Exactly...

10-18-2008, 09:59 PM

I definitely see this one more. Good comparison.

Smokey Joe
10-18-2008, 10:08 PM
I definitely see this one more. Good comparison.
I know it's common to compare black QB's to basically only other black QB's, but honestly, Garrard and Clark are very similar in most categories. Clark is probably faster though.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-18-2008, 10:33 PM
I like him a lot. Still new to things and raw, but decent size, great athlete, amazing touch. His deep ball isn't the best but it is adequate. IMO right now he's better than Tyrod Taylor will ever be if you want to compare guys. Right now I can't make a judgment on him, but if he has a big senior year he definitely can be a first day pick considering a guy like Tavaris Jackson was a second round pick.

underscore
10-19-2008, 07:37 AM
At this point I see Clark as just a very good college QB with limited NFL potential.

Remember he's playing with a veteran OL (3 seniors, 1 jr, and a future AA soph -- Wisneiwski's kid) and 3 4-year starters at WR.

DeathbyStat
10-19-2008, 07:55 AM
He is not polished enough as a passer

DeathbyStat
10-19-2008, 07:56 AM
Anyone else see a little Donovan McNabb in his game when they watch him?

He is no where near mcNabb

MaxV
10-19-2008, 10:43 AM
I'm a big PSU fan and obviously Clark is one of my favorites, but from what I've seen Clark isn't much of a NFL prospect at this point.

He still has 1 more year to improve his accuracy, which can still be erratic at times.

YAYareaRB
10-19-2008, 10:57 AM
How does he compare to Michael Robinson? Pretty similar build. Haven't really watched much PSU so I woudn't know about his arm.

TimD
10-19-2008, 11:03 AM
Robinson is a better athlete (faster, stronger, more elusive) and Clark is a better QB. His arm strength is impressive, his decision making is usually right on, his biggest problem is his accuracy (at times). His ability to run the ball has really helped Penn State especially in goal line situations.

DeathbyStat
10-19-2008, 11:28 AM
How does he compare to Michael Robinson? Pretty similar build. Haven't really watched much PSU so I woudn't know about his arm.

clark is a much better passer

MaxV
10-19-2008, 11:41 AM
Yes, M-Rob was/is a significantly better athlete, but Clark is a significantly better passer.

Shane P. Hallam
10-19-2008, 11:41 AM
But Clark is not as powerful a runner, as Robinson could jack up some defenders.

MaxV
10-19-2008, 11:43 AM
But Clark is not as powerful a runner, as Robinson could jack up some defenders.

Perhaps, though Clark can break tackles also.

With all the comparisons between Clark and Robinson, they are actually quiet different.

Clark is a pass-first QB, who can run.

Robinson was a run-first QB, who could pass.

Comphockey7
10-19-2008, 02:37 PM
How do Clark and Juice Williams compare?

DeathbyStat
10-19-2008, 03:06 PM

Clark is a better passer....Williams is a much better athlete

BBIB
10-19-2008, 04:46 PM

That is probably his biggest weakness. Nothing in his game, but the fact that he is following Michael Robinson will cause some people to pigeon hole him into that role.

In reality though it's not even close. They are nothing alike as far as style of QB. Clark is by far a superior passer while Robinson was the superior runner.

Darryl Clark is pass first, second, and third. The only time he runs the ball is on designed runs and after he checks all of his reads.

But he will need to have a strong finish to this year and a solid year next year to get that Michael Robinson completely out of their minds. If he does he could be a 1st day pick.

underscore
10-19-2008, 06:15 PM
Juice has a position in the NFL if QB doesn't work out. Clark doesn't.

STARHEATHER
10-19-2008, 06:24 PM
word is hes pretty dumb. but id take him over tim tebow. hes a better athlete and thrower. i would consider in certain systems using a mid-late rd pick on clark.

underscore
10-19-2008, 08:09 PM
word is hes pretty dumb.

Based on what?

Morelli was dumb. Clark may not be an NFL player, but, he's more than smart enough.

GB12
10-19-2008, 08:13 PM
Based on what?

Morelli was dumb. Clark may not be an NFL player, but, he's more than smart enough.
And how'd that work out for him?

Zyro_1014
10-19-2008, 08:14 PM
word is hes pretty dumb. but id take him over tim tebow. hes a better athlete and thrower. i would consider in certain systems using a mid-late rd pick on clark.

word from most of the people on here is that you're pretty dumb, and that half of the posters on this site dont listen to a word you say.

jnew76
10-19-2008, 08:19 PM

I like Juice more as a passer than Clark. Juice needs another year, but could make it into the first day mix. Clark has no chance at the first day even with another year. Definitely has a chance to be drafted, though. He is not without tools.

STARHEATHER
10-19-2008, 08:39 PM
word is i dont care what you think or if you or anyone else thinks im dumb or reads my posts

MaxV
10-19-2008, 08:59 PM
The reason there are rumors about Clark's intelligence is because his grade in HS weren't very good and he had to spend 1 year in prep school.

Since then he has worked MUCH harder in classes. As a matter of fact, he has earned enough credits to qualify for the 5th year (6th year out of HS).

STARHEATHER
10-19-2008, 09:08 PM
thats all good, but a dude that needs 5 tries or whatever to qualify academically, at that position, its got to be a devalue. you cant just say it aint so or it doesnt matter. i just wonder if he has the mental aptitude to handle it at the nfl level. i like his physical skills, but you have to be not too smart to struggle thast much on entrance exams

MaxV
10-19-2008, 09:12 PM
If you watched this guy play, you wouldn't call him dumb.

His decision-making is one of his best assets.

STARHEATHER
10-19-2008, 09:44 PM
believe me i see them ad nauseum unfortunately. much more than id like to. big week for clark. its going to be difficult for hem to get a w this week. i see them going down. i dont dislike clark. i like him more than tim tebow. but hes not a great qb prospect and his questionable mental aptitude is one of the reasons

GB12
10-19-2008, 09:54 PM
word is i dont care what you think or if you or anyone else thinks im dumb or reads my posts
Why even post then?

STARHEATHER
10-19-2008, 10:03 PM
there are many people that want to actually discuss these prospects and have good info to add either in favor or contrariarian. and i use that info.and its fun. it gives me a good understanding of what people out there are thinking that follow this type thing. those who dont have anything to offer, they dont really count to me, like the guy whos post you pasted

eaglesalltheway
10-20-2008, 07:25 AM
I know it's common to compare black QB's to basically only other black QB's, but honestly, Garrard and Clark are very similar in most categories. Clark is probably faster though.

In most cases i don't think those comparisons are faior either, but I'm a PSu fan and have seen Clark all year and this is a very good comparison. He has a lot to work on though if he wants to crack the top two rounds IMO. A lot. It will be intersting to see how he does next year with our top three WRs leaving this year. I've been waiting for a thread on him.

eaglesalltheway
10-20-2008, 07:28 AM
Clark is a better passer....Williams is a much better athlete

I honestly don't know aobut that. I think Juice has made some throws that Clark can't. I do like both a lot because they are very hard workers and fill team leadership roles, I would put Juice ahead of him in both aspects, thats just my opinion.

eaglesalltheway
10-20-2008, 07:31 AM

He went to prep school after high school but if you listen to the guy talk and how eloquent he is, you would realize he isn't dumb. Apparently he has a problem taking those standardized tests, which is quite common among all students.

eaglesalltheway
10-20-2008, 07:33 AM
thats all good, but a dude that needs 5 tries or whatever to qualify academically, at that position, its got to be a devalue. you cant just say it aint so or it doesnt matter. i just wonder if he has the mental aptitude to handle it at the nfl level. i like his physical skills, but you have to be not too smart to struggle thast much on entrance exams

...says the guy who never uses puntuation or anything resembling an intelligent, well-put together sentence.

underscore
10-20-2008, 05:27 PM
He's graduating college in 4 years...how many here can say they did that? I was happy with my 4.5 years, personally.

eaglesalltheway
10-21-2008, 06:17 AM
Yeah, he's already going to graduate after this year, forgot to mention that. He has eligibility left so he can play, but he will be a graduate.

BBIB
10-21-2008, 05:57 PM
LOL at questioning his "mental aptitude". That one guy is a joke isn't he?

Brett Favre wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer either. Learning Football and learning Calculus or Shakespeare are two completely different things.

SMoore
10-21-2008, 06:19 PM
Yes, M-Rob was/is a significantly better athlete, but Clark is a significantly better passer.

I think the biggest difference between Robinson and Clark, in regards to passing, is Clark's far superior pocket awareness. He finds passing lanes and buys time while staying in the pocket in order to complete passes. He takes the hit and still gets rid of the ball accurately, at least most of the time. He sails some passes from time to time. Clark is slower, but he is just as strong if not stronger than Robinson.

Reallistically, I think Clark will probably end up being a 5-6 round pick. His upside is somewhat limited by his lack of elite arm strength. He needs to imrpove his accuracy and arm strength by next year to go any higher. He also needs to prove he can produce without the benefit of a very athletic and powerful line.

STARHEATHER
10-21-2008, 07:29 PM
im just saying, a dude who takes 5 times to qualify, thats a red flag. along with his other sub nfl top level qualities, its just not that exciting. i didnt say the guy was an idiot. i just said i question the mental abilities to perform at the nfl level. its totally valid, especially at that position. the guys at the top level, theyre generally bright guys. not always, but for the most part. i dont think you can get the complete picture if you just assume he has the mental aptitude. i refuse to proofread ever.

MaxV
10-21-2008, 08:07 PM
im just saying, a dude who takes 5 times to qualify, thats a red flag. along with his other sub nfl top level qualities, its just not that exciting. i didnt say the guy was an idiot. i just said i question the mental abilities to perform at the nfl level. its totally valid, especially at that position. the guys at the top level, theyre generally bright guys. not always, but for the most part. i dont think you can get the complete picture if you just assume he has the mental aptitude. i refuse to proofread ever.

Huh?????

I said he qualified for his 5th year, NOT that he took 5 times to qualify.

Dude, no offense, but you really shouldn't question anyone's "mental abilities."

underscore
10-21-2008, 08:22 PM
Huh?????

I said he qualified for his 5th year, NOT that he took 5 times to qualify.

Dude, no offense, but you really shouldn't question anyone's "mental abilities."

He took the ACT test 5 times. He kept falling 1 point short.

SMoore
10-21-2008, 08:34 PM

Have you seen him play? He makes great decisions and he runs the offense perfectly. It's obvious that being a smart player is one of his greatest strengths.

STARHEATHER
10-21-2008, 09:12 PM
like i said, i dont hate him. he just has sub nfl level skills in a few areas and his mental aptitude may be one of those weaknesses. youd be remoss not to consider it in any evaluation, especially qb

SMoore
10-21-2008, 09:19 PM
Your not using it in an evaluation though. You're saying basically that him not quallifying is making him less of a QB. The evidence on the field does not support that.

STARHEATHER
10-21-2008, 09:26 PM
no im saying his mental aptitude may not be nfl level for the qb position. as "stupid" as i am, i surely wouldnt have had trouble qualifying. its happened before, qbs just not able to handle the playbook. im not saying hes any less of a playeror stupid. poor academic ability is a red flag at that position. you can disagree thats fine. but its not an uncommon occurrancve for a qb not to be able to handle the nfl position mentally. you can disavow that, but it will always be a consideration for me.

BBIB
10-21-2008, 09:38 PM
I think the biggest difference between Robinson and Clark, in regards to passing, is Clark's far superior pocket awareness. He finds passing lanes and buys time while staying in the pocket in order to complete passes. He takes the hit and still gets rid of the ball accurately, at least most of the time. He sails some passes from time to time. Clark is slower, but he is just as strong if not stronger than Robinson.

Reallistically, I think Clark will probably end up being a 5-6 round pick. His upside is somewhat limited by his lack of elite arm strength. He needs to imrpove his accuracy and arm strength by next year to go any higher. He also needs to prove he can produce without the benefit of a very athletic and powerful line.

Are you kidding? He is superior to Michael Robinson as a passer in every aspect there is to passing the football.

He's not only got more pocket awareness and poise but he also is by far more accurate and has a better arm.

Seriously besides both being Penn State QBs they have nothing in common

Michael Robinson only had 2 more passing TDs than INTs in his career completing less than 50% of his passes.

BBIB
10-21-2008, 09:42 PM
no im saying his mental aptitude may not be nfl level for the qb position. as "stupid" as i am, i surely wouldnt have had trouble qualifying. its happened before, qbs just not able to handle the playbook. im not saying hes any less of a playeror stupid. poor academic ability is a red flag at that position. you can disagree thats fine. but its not an uncommon occurrancve for a qb not to be able to handle the nfl position mentally. you can disavow that, but it will always be a consideration for me.

Reading a defense and reading literature are two completely different things.

Michael Robinson isn't in a one read system. He knows how to go through his progressions. He has what it takes to be an NFL QB.

SMoore
10-21-2008, 09:42 PM
Are you kidding? He is superior to Michael Robinson as a passer in every aspect there is to passing the football.

He's not only got more pocket awareness and poise but he also is by far more accurate and has a better arm.

Seriously besides both being Penn State QBs they have nothing in common

Michael Robinson only had 2 more passing TDs than INTs in his career completing less than 50% of his passes.

I said biggest difference. Not only difference.

BBIB
10-21-2008, 09:45 PM
I said biggest difference. Not only difference.

I'd say there is a considerable gap between he and Robinson in EVERY aspect of passing the football.

MaxV
10-21-2008, 10:00 PM
I'd say there is a considerable gap between he and Robinson in EVERY aspect of passing the football.

Well, Robinson had a knock of making big throws in clutch situations.

Clark seems to have similar poise, but we'll see how he fares through the whole season.