PDA

View Full Version : John Parker Wilson-QB Alabama

lionsfan81
10-19-2008, 10:28 AM
I reallyyy like this guy as a later round, future starter in the NFL. IMO he has the intangibles that I feel are needed at the qb position. He has excellent pocket presence, throws a great ball, has pretty good arm strength, and great mechanics. The only weaknesses I see are poor accuracy at times and the fact that he is only 6' 2". I think that if this guy sits on the bench for a couple years, he could really be one heck of a starting QB.

Anyone else's thoughts?

BuddyCHRIST
10-19-2008, 11:04 AM
Wasn't he 6'1" last year? So he's probably about 6'0". Looks like a career backup to me, he can make some great throws but isn't consistent and his arm strength is very average. Not to mention he's benefiting greatly from an awesome O-Line this year which is giving him a great running game and all day to throw the ball.

Bengals78
10-19-2008, 11:08 AM
I think he will be best served as a back up in the pros. He could come in and spot start but as much as I do like him at Bama, I just wouldnt want to build my franchise around him. However, I do think he could start at a team like Detroit or Minnesota if they draft him.

Cigaro
10-19-2008, 11:09 AM
He's got the ability to make all the throws in my opinion, but he's inconsistant, he's protected by possibly the best line in college right now. I do think however that he should be considered when talking about best senior quarterback seeing as how weak the class is.

Maybe a third round guy who could develop after a year or two.

Babylon
10-19-2008, 11:48 AM
The league has seen it's share of QBs that had all the intangibles and a lot of them are head coaches now. Wilson likely wont be drafted and i think best case is he's a backup at the next level. Having said that he could be the QB for a national title team.

Yatta!
10-19-2008, 12:23 PM
I really can't see him starting in the pros. He has never been anything other than a mediocre college QB even with Bama's success this year he has not stood out.

BamaFalcon59
10-19-2008, 12:36 PM
Intangibles? He's soft and most people in Alabama don't like him much as a player.

STARHEATHER
10-19-2008, 04:12 PM
hes the reason they wont win a championship. undersize, below average arm, way too erattic. the kind of qb who requires all day to be effective. not athletic. nice average colege qb who could become a local legend. but as far s the nfl, hes brodie croyle without the arm and thats no good. waste pick.

Tampa 2 4 life
10-19-2008, 04:17 PM
I reallyyy like this guy as a later round, future starter in the NFL. IMO he has the intangibles that I feel are needed at the qb position. He has excellent pocket presence, throws a great ball, has pretty good arm strength, and great mechanics. The only weaknesses I see are poor accuracy at times and the fact that he is only 6' 2". I think that if this guy sits on the bench for a couple years, he could really be one heck of a starting QB.

Anyone else's thoughts?

Only if they allow Reggie Ball to play in the NFL.

Babylon
10-19-2008, 04:25 PM
hes the reason they wont win a championship. undersize, below average arm, way too erattic. the kind of qb who requires all day to be effective. not athletic. nice average colege qb who could become a local legend. but as far s the nfl, hes brodie croyle without the arm and thats no good. waste pick.

I think there is enough history with guys like Tee Martin, Danny Wuerfell, Matt Flynn and Craig Krenzel to show you dont need a great passer to win a national championship.

STARHEATHER
10-19-2008, 04:28 PM
unfortunately, theyre a middle of the pack offensive team. the competition has as much defensive talent. and far more offensive talent. especially at the qb pozsition. their offense, and wilson, have both been hit and miss. i could see them going up against a defense like tx and them not being able to do anything. but regardless hes a waste pick at the nfl level. 1 in 10000000 shot to be a quality nfl qb. there just arent any j p wilson types out there in the nfl these `days

Babylon
10-19-2008, 04:31 PM
unfortunately, theyre a middle of the pack offensive team. the competition has as much defensive talent. and far more offensive talent. especially at the qb pozsition. their offense, and wilson, have both been hit and miss. i could see them going up against a defense like tx and them not being able to do anything. but regardless hes a waste pick at the nfl level. 1 in 10000000 shot to be a quality nfl qb. there just arent any j p wilson types out there in the nfl these `days

I did say in an earlier post that he wouldnt be drafted but the topic was winning a national title and they look like they have a chance at that.

STARHEATHER
10-19-2008, 06:38 PM
they have a shot, but i dont think they win it becuase their offense, specifically wilson is consistent enough. texas, oklahoma, theyre going to score points. if you cant put some consistent offense together, youre going to have a hard time beating those teams. kind of like tennessee has a shot to win the super bowl, but they wont becuase of kerry collins and inconsistency on offense. i myself am quite hoping for a tx-ou rematch. i see theyre trying to sneak those usc scrubs back up there. georgia loses to the #2 team and theyre below usc in the bcs. it would almost be fun though to see bama or tx or ou play demolition derby with usc, but id much better prefer a great matchup. if bama can go one loss they might be able to play for it but i dont think they get it done. i think ou and texas are the class. texas is the most complete team and best defensive team. ou is the best offensive team.

Race for the Heisman
10-21-2008, 10:44 AM
I compare to Erik Ainge in terms of prospect value. There was some talk and there may be talk about a mid-round selection and he will get the job done more often than not, but he's lacking in a couple or areas and not really outstanding in any. Ainge had superior size, too, and he still went really late, but with this quarterback class being weaker I think he might still have similar value.

metafour
10-21-2008, 11:14 AM
unfortunately, theyre a middle of the pack offensive team.

They should play Terrance Cody on offense too, he'd probably be a Top 10 pick as an offensive player too right....

georgiafan
10-21-2008, 11:19 AM
They should play Terrance Cody on offense too, he'd probably be a Top 10 pick as an offensive player too right....

He had play FB on the goaline TD this past week. He also had a few carries for whatever school he played at last year. I'm thinking his stock just went up

JT Jag
10-21-2008, 12:21 PM
He used to be a mediocre college quarterback. Now he's an above-average college quarterback.

I have absolutely no hope for him as an NFL quarterback, and I'm an Alabama fan. He has a track record of inconsistency and a weak arm. That said, I don't think that a selection on him late would be a waste, as I could be wrong.

bored of education
10-21-2008, 06:30 PM
Most likely be a better NFL Qb than Croylezzz

SMoore
10-21-2008, 07:05 PM
Wilson is not very impressive at all. He's a little small, but not enough to really make a difference. He doesn't have a great arm and he doesn't make enough big plays. His accuracy is so-so.

STARHEATHER
10-21-2008, 07:23 PM
he doesnt have nearly the throwing arm of croyle. hes a worse than croyle. thats not very exciting

CashmoneyDrew
10-21-2008, 09:38 PM
Most likely be a better NFL Qb than Croylezzz

All he'd have to do is win one start.

STARHEATHER
10-21-2008, 09:41 PM
i dont think you could win a game with him

CashmoneyDrew
10-21-2008, 10:04 PM
i dont think you could win a game with him

Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn....

STARHEATHER
10-21-2008, 10:05 PM
there may not be any acorns for this one. and finding an acorn once in a while isnt going to be good enough anyway

lionsfan81
10-23-2008, 12:29 PM
From Pro Football Weekly:

In a very weak QB class, Alabama senior John Parker Wilson has warranted some interest from scouts, as he has shown he knows how to manage a game and has taken some strides in the decision-making area as a senior while leading the Tide to an undefeated season thus far. It's still possible he will not get drafted at all, but some scouts have gone so far as to say he is a better prospect than Clemson's Cullen Harper, who increasingly has fallen off the radar of evaluators.

tjsunstein
10-23-2008, 02:41 PM
I dont think JPW is ever gonna start a game in the NFL but he isnt a back insurance pick up. Harper was considered one of the, if not THE, top quarterback prior to the season but the poor record by Clemson is creating steals for teams in later rounds. Guys like Davis, Harper, and Hamlin from Clemson wont be picked where they should be based off individual talent but instead team success with reflect poorly on them.

STARHEATHER
10-23-2008, 09:00 PM
he wasnt a top qb for everyone. for me he was undraftable harper. i just dont think you can put jp wilson out therein an nfl game and win. so for me thats not an insurance policy thats a waste pick.

Icelandic49er
10-25-2008, 02:45 PM
I dont understand why Bama fans are so against JPW. He had a good sophmore season, a rather bad junior season but his senior is very good. You guys also have to understand that he has also played in different offensive systems at Alabama. He will be drafted on the 6th round and can be more than a capable back-up in the NFL. He will surprise alot of people.

jballa838
11-09-2008, 01:32 PM
He has an NFL Caliber receiver finally (Julio Jones, True Frosh) and he is doing pretty well. I could see him going in the 4th maybe to a team that runs what Pittsburgh runs, where the QBs job is not to throw every down.

JT Jag
11-09-2008, 01:48 PM
John Parker needs a great line to function. When he's flushed out of the pocket he's extremely prone to making bad mistakes.