PDA

View Full Version : RB Shonn Greene, Iowa

TACKLE
10-19-2008, 03:03 PM
Shonn Greene has burst onto the National scene out of no where; much like Rashard Mendenhall. Shonn Green has been extremely productive this year (1154 yards, 10 TD's, 6.5 ypc) and has good build at 5'11 235. He runs with power and has good vision. The only question with him is a forty time. If Greene can run a mid-4.5 or lower, where do you think he projects?

Paranoidmoonduck
10-19-2008, 03:30 PM
He already burst onto this forum a couple weeks ago.

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25767

STARHEATHER
10-19-2008, 03:41 PM
you must not have been on thissite very long. no surprise hes been blowing up since week 2. i dont see him as a rd 1 talent at this point however. not shifty enough and doesnt have big time speed, jukes. its going to be harder for him to get a lot of yards other than straight ahead. its tough to get yards stright ahead at the nfl level. i like him as a 2-3 rd at this point. if he goes out and works out great he could move up. certainly better than the "hyped"backs, wells, mccoy, moreno etc.

HawkeyeFan
11-02-2008, 01:35 AM
Here's a collected HIGHLIGHT so far from this season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrWZwH9VVJU

Check it.

Shonn Greene <3

foozball
11-02-2008, 01:05 AM
i wonder how he compares to beanie wells? seems like a slight notch below him across the board, tools-wise. both big bruising backs, just wells has a little more speed, a little more wiggle, and a little more athleticism...and he's like 2 years younger

Brent
11-02-2008, 08:06 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrWZwH9VVJU
Florida International isnt exactly a good team and a nice part of that highlight was that game.

iowatreat54
11-02-2008, 12:00 PM
I love Shonn and wish he would stay, but he's as good as gone

that said, his big knock is that he isn't very good in the passing game out of the backfield, I think he has like 2 catches all year...also, if any of you saw yesterdays game vs. Illinois, he leaves a lot to be desired in terms of blocking

but he is an insanely strong runner that constantly keeps his legs moving after the first hit and has the strength to keep going after the hit...also, he has great vision behind the line...and I disagree with whoever said that he is going to have difficulties because he isn't "shifty" or have enough speed or jukes, he is constantly running forward, has great vision, and might be one of the best backs at gaining yards after contact

Staubach12
11-02-2008, 12:55 PM
He's not as good as Mendenhall, but he's a good prospect in his own right.

Race for the Heisman
11-02-2008, 01:06 PM
I would actually compare him to Rashard a bit, they seem subtly similar to me. Right now I have him early round two. He's similar to Charles Scott but I like him a bit more than Scott right now as a runner. As a complete player (see passing game woes mentioned above), I'm not so sure. He's my fourth back after Wells, Moreno, and McCoy.

steelernation77
11-02-2008, 01:41 PM
Florida International isnt exactly a good team and a nice part of that highlight was that game.

Maybe you should look at one of the other games this year, each of which he's had 100 yards in.

BrabbitMcRabbit
11-02-2008, 09:48 PM
Shonn Greene = Rudi Johnson

Mr. Stiller
11-03-2008, 02:02 AM
I don't really see Mendenhall in Green.

Mendenhall had better receiving skills, and was shiftier and Faster.

People like to think of Mendy as a Bruiser. I don't see him as one. I think he's a bigger faster guy that his first choice would be to juke, spin or cutback.. But he's not afraid to run into a pile..

Shonn seems like a more..Faster Brandon McAnderson from last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx1VdbuHb18

If McAnderson had Shonn's speed he could probably be playing in the league.

Both Lean forward all the time, keep great balance, are tough to be brought down, have the ability to run over someone if need be, but also bounce off tackles very well.

SenorGato
11-03-2008, 02:05 AM
Nah, I saw some Curtis Martin in him. He could definitely be a somebody in the NFL. I don't think he's a first round RB.

Mr. Stiller
11-03-2008, 02:08 AM
Nah, I saw some Curtis Martin in him. He could definitely be a somebody in the NFL. I don't think he's a first round RB.

Hmm. I like the Rudi Johnson Comparison better than Curtis Martin.

HawkeyeFan
12-03-2008, 12:36 PM
For those saying Shonn Green can't take it to the house... Check this stat out compared to the other RBs (Ringer and Knowshon)

Shonn Greene:
Average: 19

Knowshon Moreno:
Average: 17.25

Javon Ringer:
Average: 7

Mr. Stiller
12-03-2008, 12:53 PM
Watching that video...

I can't see why Heather likes him. He doesn't make his own holes.. He has quite possibly one of the best blocking OL in the NCAA.

I really like his full back though.

steelernation77
12-03-2008, 01:04 PM
Watching that video...

I can't see why Heather likes him. He doesn't make his own holes.. He has quite possibly one of the best blocking OL in the NCAA.

I really like his full back though.

Going to have to disagree there. Shonn consistently gets yards after contact and possesses a great burst through the line. No RB will be successful if there aren't some holes, what matters is those who can find them, make the necessary cut, and have a bust through the hole. Shonn does all of those things.

Edit: BTW I'd recommend seeing a more recent video. Watch some of his game versus Penn State and Purdue.

Pokeys
12-03-2008, 01:08 PM
Mendenhall comparison makes sense. But I think Shonn Greene is a much better runner. Shiftier back and better overall. Wells 1, Spiller 2, and Greene 3.

Mr. Stiller
12-03-2008, 02:40 PM
I don't see the Mendenhall comparison at all.

He doesn't have Mendenhalls openfield speed and he's not nearly as shifty. Not to mention he's not nearly the receiver.

Mendenhall is more of a Fast/shifty back with some power. Shonn is a straight line power runner with some Wiggle.

Rich Mans Rudi Johnson? What Cedric Benson/Chris Perry were supposed to be?

and I wasn't saying that he can't make his own yardage or doesn't do it after contact. I just wanted to give his OL some credit. There was some ridiculous lanes for him to run through. I was just mocking Starheather.

steelernation77
12-03-2008, 03:27 PM
I don't see the Mendenhall comparison at all.

He doesn't have Mendenhalls openfield speed and he's not nearly as shifty. Not to mention he's not nearly the receiver.

Mendenhall is more of a Fast/shifty back with some power. Shonn is a straight line power runner with some Wiggle.

Rich Mans Rudi Johnson? What Cedric Benson/Chris Perry were supposed to be?

and I wasn't saying that he can't make his own yardage or doesn't do it after contact. I just wanted to give his OL some credit. There was some ridiculous lanes for him to run through. I was just mocking Starheather.

Yeah I don't really like the Mendenhall comparison either. Shonn is much more of a power back, Mendenhall has more speed.

Matthew Jones
12-03-2008, 03:38 PM
Shonn Greene best case - Jamal Lewis
Shonn Greene worst case - Rudi Johnson

I'd take him in the mid to late first.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-03-2008, 04:52 PM
I'd say his worst case is much more worst case than that. How about some LaMont Jordan, and that might generous.

ToldLikeItIs
12-03-2008, 04:53 PM
Huge hawk fan here.

Shonn Greene best case - Terrell Davis
Worst case - Mike Anderson.

He is more proportioned than Rudi Johnson and Jamal Lewis, and like everyone is saying, has not shown any real abiity as a WR out of the backfield. I don't expect him to catch a lot of passes in the pros, or be on the field much come 3rd and 5+ long.

The fact is, there haven't been a lot of successful running backs in the pros with his size. He's every bit of 5'11 240 and carries it really well. He's TJ Duckett with vision.

HawkeyeFan
12-03-2008, 07:34 PM
Huge hawk fan here.

Shonn Greene best case - Terrell Davis
Worst case - Mike Anderson.

He is more proportioned than Rudi Johnson and Jamal Lewis, and like everyone is saying, has not shown any real abiity as a WR out of the backfield. I don't expect him to catch a lot of passes in the pros, or be on the field much come 3rd and 5+ long.

The fact is, there haven't been a lot of successful running backs in the pros with his size. He's every bit of 5'11 240 and carries it really well. He's TJ Duckett with vision.

Minus TJ Duckett.

He's not as powerful and as much of a North/South runner as Duckett is.

I'd compare Shonn Greene's running style to Thomas Jones.