PDA

View Full Version : Superbowl Winner

UK_Cheesehead
10-19-2008, 03:58 PM
I realise it's early, but was just curious as to who everyone, if they had to name one now, would pick as this seasons Superbowl winner.

This season really seems wide open and you could easily imo make a case for 10 teams, if not more. Will also be fun to see who's right and wrong come the end of the season.

Guess I'll start it off:

I'll go for the - Pittsburgh Steelers

I really like what the Steelers have been doing this year. Their D is up there with the very best of them, if they can get FWP back they have a decent enough running game to add to that passing game. I mainly went for the Steelers because of their D though, as everyone seems to say, defences win championships, so I was looking for a D in the top 5 aswell as being able to do good things on the other side of the ball which Pittsburgh seems able to do.

Gay Ork Wang
10-19-2008, 04:00 PM
I can see the Titans

MetSox17
10-19-2008, 04:02 PM
Tennessee or Indianapolis

dabears10
10-19-2008, 04:07 PM
Titans. They have the best defense and can run the ball. If Kerry Collins doesn't make mistakes, they win.

scottyboy
10-19-2008, 04:13 PM
Titans. They have the best defense and can run the ball. If Kerry Collins doesn't make mistakes, they win.

biggest if ever. like ever.

The Titans will not win the Super Bowl with Kerry Collins at the helm. Mark it down. There's no way in hell it happens.

Gay Ork Wang
10-19-2008, 04:13 PM
Tennessee or Indianapolis
Colts? really?

The Titans will put in Vince Young and get it!

UK_Cheesehead
10-19-2008, 04:15 PM
I think one of the main reasons for the Colts is around playoff time they're always going to be dangerous, if they can get healthy they have as good a shot as anybody, but I'm not sure I can really see it.

I expect them to make the playoffs though with a wildcard spot and after that, well anything can happen, we all know what happened last year.

scottyboy
10-19-2008, 04:15 PM
Colts? really?

much more likely.

But I'm not 100% sold on the titans, I need to see more of them though.

There is no clear cut favorite either, which is awesome.

MetSox17
10-19-2008, 04:19 PM
Colts? really?

Peyton Manning is the only superstar quarterback playing right now, and the team is looking like it's catching some steam. There isn't a team in the AFC that i would take over the Colts in the playoffs. Indy vs. Tennessee would be very interesting to watch, but i don't think Kerry Collins would be able to beat the Colts in a non-low scoring game.

dabears10
10-19-2008, 04:20 PM

The Titans will not win the Super Bowl with Kerry Collins at the helm. Mark it down. There's no way in hell it happens.

Well he only needs to throw like 20 times a game. So as long he doesn't turn the ball over MULTIPLE times they should win. He is a much smaller role than he was with the G-Men earlier.

Gay Ork Wang
10-19-2008, 04:21 PM
Peyton Manning is the only superstar quarterback playing right now, and the team is looking like it's catching some steam. There isn't a team in the AFC that i would take over the Colts in the playoffs. Indy vs. Tennessee would be very interesting to watch, but i don't think Kerry Collins would be able to beat the Colts in a non-low scoring game.
the Rush Defense is horrible horrible horrible though. If u look at the DT position u know why

bearsfan_51
10-19-2008, 04:21 PM
The Colts won't even make the playoffs.

BmoreBlackByrdz
10-19-2008, 04:22 PM

Im not dissing you or anything but could you explain why you think that? I for one thought Collins starting was a good move and could possibly lead to a super bowl apperance. They've got an amazing run game and top notch defense. Kerry Collins just has to make smart decisions and not turn the ball over. If he can do that, I truly believe that Tennesse can do big things.

As for the main question in the topic, Id say Tennesse, Indianapolis or Pittsburgh for the AFC as for the NFC, Id say the whole NFC East has got a shot as well as Green Bay and New Orleans. teams that I wouldnt count out are Minnesota, Cleveland, and San Diego.

Dr. Gonzo
10-19-2008, 04:22 PM
You heard it here first, STL SUPERBOWL CHAMPS :)

BeerBaron
10-19-2008, 04:24 PM
Indy's looking downright amazing vs. the Packers right now......

I really don't think theres a clear cut team in either conference right now. I think that for the Giants, the Browns game was a fluke and you shouldn't count them out......but they're only a very short distance ahead of any of the other NFC teams right now.

On the AFC side, you have Tennessee but Kerry Collins really holds them back in my mind. You can't have an off day with your run game or your defense when you've only got a game manager at QB.

There just aren't any teams standing alone at the top right now.

Gay Ork Wang
10-19-2008, 04:25 PM
Cleveland and SandIego? for the NFC?

MetSox17
10-19-2008, 04:25 PM
the Rush Defense is horrible horrible horrible though. If u look at the DT position u know why

Yeah, but there's downsides to every team in the league. The Titans can't really pass the ball, although they might not need to. There's really not one team in the league i watch and say "wow" with, so it's anyones game at this point.

I'm very unimpressed with the Steelers though, and i don't see them being much of a factor.

scottyboy
10-19-2008, 04:28 PM
Im not dissing you or anything but could you explain why you think that? I for one thought Collins starting was a good move and could possibly lead to a super bowl apperance. They've got an amazing run game and top notch defense. Kerry Collins just has to make smart decisions and not turn the ball over. If he can do that, I truly believe that Tennesse can do big things.

As for the main question in the topic, Id say Tennesse, Indianapolis or Pittsburgh for the AFC as for the NFC, Id say the whole NFC East has got a shot as well as Green Bay and New Orleans. teams that I wouldnt count out are Minnesota, Cleveland, and San Diego.

I've seen more Kerry Collins than the majority of people here, and more than one person should have to for a lifetime. He's just SO bad. Sure, he's playing well now, he did the same for the Giants in 2000. But wait til he gets pressure, and the few games when the Titans running attack is slow getting started and someone gives him a bottle of Jack Daniels, then the true Kerry Collins will emerge.

And Collins has a VERY similar role with the Titans as he did with the Giants. Try not to **** up too much, ride the coat tails of the defense, and ride an effective running game.

Gay Ork Wang
10-19-2008, 04:29 PM
Yeah, but there's downsides to every team in the league. The Titans can't really pass the ball, although they might not need to. There's really not one team in the league i watch and say "wow" with, so it's anyones game at this point.

I'm very unimpressed with the Steelers though, and i don't see them being much of a factor.
but a bad bad rush defense in the playoffs against teams like the Titans is really a big big downside

ChiFan24
10-19-2008, 04:30 PM
There's absolutely no way of knowing, whereas last year at this time anybody in their right mind would have said New England. Of course, they would have been wrong, but the point is that I love the wide openness of the league this year.

My best guess is Pittsburgh over New York.

d34ng3l021
10-19-2008, 04:31 PM
Chargers. I still think they get hot and with the superb play of Rivers in the playoffs, they win the SB.

MetSox17
10-19-2008, 04:31 PM
but a bad bad rush defense in the playoffs against teams like the Titans is really a big big downside

Yeah, that's true, but i like to think that Peyton Manning has a shot at every game he plays, despite having a bad rush defense. Their Superbowl year they played horribly on that side of the ball, yet somehow they played out of their minds in the playoffs, so you never really know with these guys.

Tennessee is easily the favorite in the AFC, though.

NIN1984
10-19-2008, 04:38 PM
Buffalo Bills

Edwards is playing real smart football. We haven't even seen Beast Mode yet, its coming soon and the Bills have a young, fast, hungry defense.

CashmoneyDrew
10-19-2008, 04:45 PM
Titans. Defense is beastly. Running game is beastly. TE's are emerging in the pass game. Kerry Collins is making far less mistakes than Vince Young would be. Does anyone honestly think that VY could've led that 4th quarter game-winning drive against the Ravens like Collins did? I don't. Now if only Justin Gage could get healthy.

MetSox17
10-19-2008, 04:48 PM
This Titans team reminds me of the 13-3 Ravens team of a few years ago.

scottyboy
10-19-2008, 04:50 PM
Chargers. I still think they get hot and with the superb play of Rivers in the playoffs, they win the SB.

really? they've looked like ****. They'll be lucky to make the playoffs

Bruce Banner
10-19-2008, 04:50 PM

Everyone thinks they will get "hot" and go on a run. Time is ticking....and I'm not seeing it.

scottyboy
10-19-2008, 04:51 PM
Everyone thinks they will get "hot" and go on a run. Time is ticking....and I'm not seeing it.

it's not even like they expect them to get hot in the playoffs, they're not even it the playoffs, and need to get hot, just to get there. Can you stay hot for THAT long? eh.

SuperMcGee
10-19-2008, 04:52 PM
Buffalo Bills

Edwards is playing real smart football. We haven't even seen Beast Mode yet, its coming soon and the Bills have a young, fast, hungry defense.

Lynch has been doing alright. But what we haven't seen is Pro Bowl LT Jason Peters. If we can play like we did today and even add Terrence McGee, Aaron Schobel, and a better Peters, then we're a pretty good team.

Bruce Banner
10-19-2008, 04:53 PM
it's not even like they expect them to get hot in the playoffs, they're not even it the playoffs, and need to get hot, just to get there. Can you stay hot for THAT long? eh.

They won't make the playoffs.

It's weird.

The two most talented teams won't make the playoffs. (Bolts and 'Boys)

MetSox17
10-19-2008, 04:54 PM
They won't make the playoffs.

It's weird.

The two most talented teams won't make the playoffs. (Bolts and 'Boys)

It's a shame indeed. We know what's wrong in Dallas, but why the hell are the Chargers Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde this season?

d34ng3l021
10-19-2008, 04:55 PM

Last year they finished with an 11-5 record after going on a 6 game winning streak. They were 5-5 before they went off. They are 3-4 now.I think they still have a chance.

I could be completely wrong though.

Scotty D
10-19-2008, 04:56 PM
AFC
Titans
Bills
Steelers

NFC
Giants
Bucs
Eagles
Falcons

Those are my top candidates for teams to make the super bowl. My early favorite to win is bolded.

Bruce Banner
10-19-2008, 04:57 PM
It's a shame indeed. We know what's wrong in Dallas, but why the hell are the Chargers Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde this season?

Merriman. No ******* lie.

LT lacking explosiveness doesn't help.

NFC
Bucs

<3

Gay Ork Wang
10-19-2008, 05:04 PM
AFC
Titans
Bills
Steelers

NFC
Giants
Bucs
Eagles
Falcons

Those are my top candidates for teams to make the super bowl. My early favorite to win is bolded.
lol Falcons

d34ng3l021
10-19-2008, 05:06 PM
lol Falcons

Someones upset he didnt list the Bears :(

Pound it Scotty

BeerBaron
10-19-2008, 05:06 PM
lol Falcons

indeed. only 2 rookies QB's have ever even won playoff starts and in both cases, the teams had great defenses and run games. (Shaun King of the Bucs and Big Ben a few years back)

If it wasn't for some asinine coaching errors at the end of the Bears game, the Falcons wouldn't have even won that....

d34ng3l021
10-19-2008, 05:07 PM
indeed. only 2 rookies QB's have ever even won playoff starts and in both cases, the teams had great defenses and run games. (Shaun King of the Bucs and Big Ben a few years back)

If it wasn't for some asinine coaching errors at the end of the Bears game, the Falcons wouldn't have even won that....

You could make excuses about it, but in the end, the team who deserved to win won.

BBIB
10-19-2008, 05:08 PM
We will find out a lot about the Titans as they get into the meat of their schedule.

If they look for real vs some of those better teams, then no reason to think they can't pull a 2000 Ravens.

scottyboy
10-19-2008, 05:10 PM
You could make excuses about it, but in the end, the team who deserved to win won.

yea, but you're still not a legit super bowl contender...

I could give you playoff contender, but you're still perhaps only a year away from being a LEGIT playoff contender. Panthers are looking very sharp and the Bucs have a pretty solid team(could use a not-****** QB though...) AND they have Zuttah.

Of course I wanna say Giants are the NFC favorites, but they've been too inconsistent(we always play down to our opponents, except the Seahawks, who blow). The Redskins have looked good at times, but others just horrendous and ******. It'll be interesting.

scottyboy
10-19-2008, 05:11 PM
We will find out a lot about the Titans as they get into the meat of their schedule.

If they look for real vs some of those better teams, then no reason to think they can't pull a 2000 Ravens.

uh no. Sure, they could very well win a super bowl led by a good D to hold up a ****** O, but that 2000 Ravens D was superb. Just downright scary and nasty. They would win games themselves, like totally take them over, and not just the Super Bowl. That D was downright filthy and dominant.

BBIB
10-19-2008, 05:12 PM
SUper Bowl contender starts and ends with the caliber defense that you have.

Falcons don't have Super Bowl caliber D right now. It's a lot better D than I thought it would be with surprising contributions from guys like Grimes, but it's not even close to Super Bowl caliber.

Still some holes in the front 7 and secondary.

Bruce Banner
10-19-2008, 05:13 PM
Falcons don't have Super Bowl caliber D right now.

The Falcons don't have a super bowl caliber anything.

Scotty D
How far in the playoffs did Big Ben go in his rookie year? And again its the NFC, the Falcons can contend in the NFC.

d34ng3l021
yea, but you're still not a legit super bowl contender...

I could give you playoff contender, but you're still perhaps only a year away from being a LEGIT playoff contender. Panthers are looking very sharp and the Bucs have a pretty solid team(could use a not-****** QB though...) AND they have Zuttah.

Of course I wanna say Giants are the NFC favorites, but they've been too inconsistent(we always play down to our opponents, except the Seahawks, who blow). The Redskins have looked good at times, but others just horrendous and ******. It'll be interesting.

Hah, yeah I know. The only way we have a shot at the SB is if our offense begins to progress exponentially (they have been doing a good job thus far though) and our defense steps up. Complete Cinderella story though.

In my opinion, Giants are definitely NFC favorites. One bad game doesnt mean anything.

Man. Whats happening with the Colts?

1Love
10-19-2008, 05:14 PM
Man. Whats happening with the Colts?

To be honest, they just don't have the talent level they did in the past. Age, players leaving, and injuries have caught up to them.

d34ng3l021
10-19-2008, 05:15 PM
The Falcons don't have a super bowl caliber anything.

Down the season, we could have at least a playoff caliber offense. It might be hard to defend against Turner and Ryan/White.

Bruce Banner
10-19-2008, 05:16 PM
Down the season, we could have at least a playoff caliber offense. It might be hard to defend against Turner and Ryan/White.

If you can lock down the run game (which has been done) I doubt it. You need more than one receiver to be able to beat a team (a good team) with the pass.

d34ng3l021
10-19-2008, 05:23 PM
If you can lock down the run game (which has been done) I doubt it. You need more than one receiver to be able to beat a team (a good team) with the pass.

The Bears were ranked 4th in YPA against the pass going into the Falcons game I think. But of course injuries hampered them a lot during our game.

And you would need more than one receiver except in one case. If that receiver is Sharod "Roddy" White.

But seriously speaking, yeah. I am really looking forward to having Laurent Robinson back. He has a done of talent. Douglas is also a perfect slot guy.

BeerBaron
10-19-2008, 05:28 PM
The Bears were ranked 4th in YPA against the pass going into the Falcons game I think. But of course injuries hampered them a lot during our game.

And you would need more than one receiver except in one case. If that receiver is Sharod "Roddy" White.

But seriously speaking, yeah. I am really looking forward to having Laurent Robinson back. He has a done of talent. Douglas is also a perfect slot guy.

we were one more injury in the secondary away from playing Hester and Davis back there......

And today we were without both starting corners and our usual nickel back, and still won.....

But like I said before, I don't think the Falcons are a superbowl contender right now. Rookie QB's usually get eaten up when they find themselves in the playoffs against teams who typically have at least top half ranked defenses.

d34ng3l021
10-19-2008, 05:35 PM
Matt Ryan is only a rookie QB by name. Nothing about him is rookie like.

GB12
10-19-2008, 05:35 PM
The Chargers always start off slow.

Bruce Banner
10-19-2008, 05:36 PM

We're almost halfway through the season and I have seen NOTHING that tells me they are going to go on a run. The slowness better pick up quick.

scottyboy
10-19-2008, 05:36 PM

yes, but has Tomlinson always started this slow? And was their best D player out the few previous years? PLUS they lost The Burner. I just don't see it this year, i really don't.

GB12
10-19-2008, 05:39 PM
I don't think they'll do much either, just saying.

BeerBaron
10-19-2008, 05:40 PM

Marino had a pretty unrookie like rookie year too, and he was playing for a team who had just been in the superbowl the season before, and he still lost his first playoff game that year.

The falcons are a very young team all around and even if they win their division, they'll be hosting one of the Giants/Redskins/Cowboys/Eagles in the first round most likely, and i just don't think they can handle any one of them.

we'll see i guess, but my point remains that i wouldn't put the falcons as an NFC superbowl contender just yet

d34ng3l021
10-19-2008, 05:42 PM
These are the same things that were said of the Chargers last season. I remember LT's record breaking season was mostly from game 4 on. I am not saying he will be like that again (in fact, I dont think he will start up nearly at the same pace. Maybe a bit), but this happens every year.

Bruce Banner
10-19-2008, 05:43 PM
These are the same things that were said of the Chargers last season. I remember LT's record breaking season was mostly from game 4 on. I am not saying he will be like that again (in fact, I dont think he will start up nearly at the same pace. Maybe a bit), but this happens every year.

Did he have a terrible toe injury that limits him to being a straight line runner, last year?

d34ng3l021
10-19-2008, 05:43 PM
Marino had a pretty unrookie like rookie year too, and he was playing for a team who had just been in the superbowl the season before, and he still lost his first playoff game that year.

The falcons are a very young team all around and even if they win their division, they'll be hosting one of the Giants/Redskins/Cowboys/Eagles in the first round most likely, and i just don't think they can handle any one of them.

we'll see i guess, but my point remains that i wouldn't put the falcons as an NFC superbowl contender just yet

I am not saying they are a NFC superbowl contender yet either.

d34ng3l021
10-19-2008, 05:44 PM
Did he have a terrible toe injury that limits him to being a straight line runner, last year?

I just think the Chargers as a team start off slow. They pick it up and begin to dominate in all facets of the game. The only difference this year is, they wont be relying on LT's leg. Its River's arm.

EvilMonkey
10-19-2008, 07:18 PM
Titans over Cardinals

BeerBaron
10-19-2008, 07:23 PM
Titans over Cardinals

i want to make fun of you and your statement but.....sadly......with the current state of things.....the Cardinals really do have legit superbowl chances.

HawkeyeFan
10-19-2008, 07:27 PM
If only Haslett was HC at the beginning of the season :(

EvilMonkey
10-19-2008, 08:03 PM
i want to make fun of you and your statement but.....sadly......with the current state of things.....the Cardinals really do have legit superbowl chances.

yeah, i have no idea with the NFC, just picked a team i thought had the possibility of getting hot late in the year and making a run and I think they have enough talent to do that and I've always liked Whisenhunt as a coach.

DeathbyStat
10-19-2008, 08:04 PM
Titans VS Giants

Giants perhaps

bantx
10-19-2008, 08:14 PM
yes, but has Tomlinson always started this slow? And was their best D player out the few previous years? PLUS they lost The Burner. I just don't see it this year, i really don't.

Tomlinson usually starts slow because he never plays a preseason game, that and his lingering toe injury wont be able to do all the stuff he could do, planting, his burst isnt 100%, and cutting. But hopefully with our bye week in 2 weeks we can give him some rest.

Chargers started slow last year going 1-3 but this year starting out slower, our division isnt too hard, just have to worry about denver we get things going we should be in the playoffs.

skinzzfan25
10-19-2008, 08:33 PM
1987 - New York Giants
1988 - Washington Redskins

1990 - New York Giants
1991 - Washington Redskins

2008 - New York Giants
2009 - Washington Redskins

JonasBlane
10-19-2008, 08:33 PM
In my biased opinion I would have to say the Steelers. OL is basically the ONLY weak link on this team. With that said it is a VERY VERY weak link at times. With Willie Parker and now Mewelde Moore we have a very solid running attack. Ben/Ward/Holmes and Heath Miller give us a prolific passing attack. Our run defense is great as always. And then pass defense is well above average, with the strength being the pass rush put on by our amazing OLB's James Harrison and Lamarr Woodley with 16 sacks between them so far.

If our pass blocking can be even close to average come playoff time I really like the Steelers chances.

Oh yeah.... And Jeff Reed is also possibly the best kicker in the league.

Jvig43
10-19-2008, 08:37 PM
To add to the LT starting slow, Chad pennington rushed for more yards then he did today...... Pwned

The Unseen
10-19-2008, 08:39 PM
Jaguars over Redskins

you may say that I'm a dreamer...but I'm not the only one...(there are other Jaguars fans out there besides YFS and I, plz believe)

PACKmanN
10-19-2008, 08:41 PM
i like tampa bay's chances to win.

TitleTown088
10-19-2008, 08:44 PM
I'm just glad it's likely going to be some fresh teams in the playoffs. No more NE, Indy BS.

Shane P. Hallam
10-19-2008, 08:49 PM
For me, I can't think of many teams that truly impress me.

In the AFC, I do think the Steelers and Titans (with Vince) have the best shot. I don't think the Titans can WIN the Super Bowl though. The big time defense is great, but the offense becomes 1 dimensional if the other team can get a pass rush and blow up plays in the back field. I think it would be an incredible story if Vince comes back, rejuvenated and makes sick plays to win it all, but I think they can be stopped. Steelers look great and all, but better teams against that O-line will crush them.

As for NFC, outside of the Giants, I am not thoroughly impressed by anyone. I think Dallas could squeak into the playoffs and make a run, but the secondary is too terrible it seems. I still don't buy the Redskins completely, but they may just prove me wrong. I do like the Eagles, a lot, I wonder if they could make a run. My sleeper candidate here is the Cardinals. I think they will win the division. If DRC can step it up, the offense is downright nasty, and the D is improving every week.

Finally, the Bills aren't being talked about a lot, and I think they are good enough to win a playoff game, but not get to the Super Bowl is all. They still have holes.

Caddy
10-19-2008, 08:56 PM

Especially not his performance against the Bucs... Oh wait...

BeerBaron
10-19-2008, 09:01 PM
Oh yeah.... And Jeff Reed is also possibly the best kicker in the league.

Mr. Robbie Gould disagrees.

d34ng3l021
10-19-2008, 09:07 PM
Especially not his performance against the Bucs... Oh wait...

Agreed, but you do that to most veteran QBs too.

Gay Ork Wang
10-20-2008, 06:53 AM
Someones upset he didnt list the Bears :(

Pound it Scotty
Dude...i can see the Falcons make the playoffs. But Superbowl? Seriously? So what does it have to do with me laughing about the Falcons being a Playoff team. seriously that was a dumb statement. I hardly expect the bears to make the playoffs

nrk
10-20-2008, 10:59 AM
I like the Panthers beating the Steelers in the Super Bowl. I don't think the Titans make it, I see them losing in the playoffs when they are forced to win in the air. I really like this Panthers team. They have a great d, good run game, and a good passing game. Most complete team imo. If the Bears D gets healthy and Orton continues to play like he has they will fight for the division or a wildcard. Their D should keep them in games. I remember a Bears fan almost laughing at me for saying they'll have a winning record. The Bills have a good shot as well as Shanahan's Broncos. Bronco's next 7 games are: NE, Miami, Cleveland, Falcons, Raiders, Jets, KC. If their defense steps up, they will be a contender. I almost forgot the defending champs, the Giants. They have a good shot, I see them losing in the NFCCG. I don't think Jason Campbell will lead the Skins to a Super Bowl, and the Bucs, while a great defense, I just don't think they have enough offense.

giantsfan
10-20-2008, 01:47 PM
I wanna see the bills and denver cutlers in the AFC title game, Titans and Steelers have been more dominant though and are more likely to make it. The Colts and Chargers round out my playoff prognosis and depending on health and rhythm either of those teams could make a run.

NFC I'm really curious to see what happens in dallas in the next few weeks. If Garrett doesn't get some consistent balance in his play calling I don't think they have a shot to make it, since Wade Phillips isn't going to rally the troops and the D is starting to get picked apart unless they re-group. That Said I like the Giants, Redskins and Cardinals to end up the NFC's top three, Green Bay and Chicago will be tough teams but not champion caliber and in the south both Carolina and the Boy Blunder's Bucs worry me. If Pendergast has that defense rolling in January that team has a great chance at making the superbowl.

giantsfan
10-20-2008, 01:53 PM
Jaguars over Redskins

you may say that I'm a dreamer...but I'm not the only one...(there are other Jaguars fans out there besides YFS and I, plz believe)

I liked them before the season but is the oline going to be healthy enough for them to beat out the colts or chargers for a Wildcard spot?

RCAChainGang
10-20-2008, 01:54 PM
Peyton Manning is the only superstar quarterback playing right now,

What about Drew Brees?

I like the Giants to win it. Based off what I have seen the AFC looks terrible.
The Titans are pulling off wins, but not to any really good teams yet.

I think the Tians win the division, but not handedly especially when Vince Young comes back and throws costly picks.

bethemooseman7
10-20-2008, 02:56 PM
uh no. Sure, they could very well win a super bowl led by a good D to hold up a ****** O, but that 2000 Ravens D was superb. Just downright scary and nasty. They would win games themselves, like totally take them over, and not just the Super Bowl. That D was downright filthy and dominant.

I would have to agree if that were true, but it isn't. Just because the passsing game isn't dominant that doesn't mean the whole offense is bad. They have a dominant run game and Collins has been pretty solid. Not to mention the O-line has been completely dominant. And the defense has easily been good enough to win games by itself. The Titans definitely don't get enough love.

CashmoneyDrew
10-20-2008, 03:56 PM
What about Drew Brees?

I like the Giants to win it. Based off what I have seen the AFC looks terrible.
The Titans are pulling off wins, but not to any really good teams yet.

I think the Tians win the division, but not handedly especially when Vince Young comes back and throws costly picks.

The only way VY is getting back into the lineup is if the O-line just all of a sudden starts ******* up and letting opposing defenses hit Collins like he's a punching bag, or if Collins arm falls off. Collins is our starter the rest of the year.

bored of education
10-20-2008, 04:41 PM
I am going with my preseason pick:

Steelers

tjsunstein
10-20-2008, 05:30 PM
Packers over Bills :)

But seriously I like the Steelers out of the AFC. The NFC is a crap shoot

TitanHope
10-20-2008, 05:32 PM
Not being a homer, I say the Steelers. Really hoping to be able to go to the Steelers @ Titans game in a couple weeks.

Being a homer, I say the Titans. They lead the AFC in points allowed with 11 pts per game, and lead the conference in forcing turnovers with 10 INT's and 8 FF's. Meanwhile on offense, they are 4th in the AFC in scoring with 24.8 pts per game. They lead the AFC in rush yards per game.

The Titans are not among the elite passing teams by any means, but they don't have to be. The only time they've had to pass in order to win the game was against the Ravens when Collins led a 2-minute offense for a game-winning pass TD against the 2nd best team in the AFC against the pass.

With the way the DEF plays and how effective the running game has been, there's been no need to sling it around - and Collins can definitely still sling it. Jeff Fisher's whole philosophy is great DEF, great running attack, and control time of possession. Just because the team has won games with that philosophy and not through the air doesn't make them a poor pass offense.

As far as someone not being sold on the Titans, then that person must not be sold on anyone. The Titans have faced a relatively soft schedule, but they've won in convincing fashion and are the only undefeated team. Meanwhile, other teams play soft schedules and lose some of those games. The parity in the NFL is as prevailant as ever, so for the Titans to perform as consistently as they have is an accomplishment in it's own.

d34ng3l021
10-20-2008, 05:46 PM
Yeah. The only reason I am holding back about the Titans is the competition they have played. The Falcons have won in convincing fashion over bad teams and had good games with average teams.

I would still say the Titans are the best in the NFL, but I do want to see them against a top notch opponent.

MetSox17
10-20-2008, 05:46 PM
What about Drew Brees?

I don't see him in the same light as Peyton. No where near, actually.

nrk
10-20-2008, 05:51 PM
As far as someone not being sold on the Titans, then that person must not be sold on anyone. The Titans have faced a relatively soft schedule, but they've won in convincing fashion and are the only undefeated team. Meanwhile, other teams play soft schedules and lose some of those games. The parity in the NFL is as prevailant as ever, so for the Titans to perform as consistently as they have is an accomplishment in it's own.

Combined record of the teams the Titans have beat:12-26. I'm sold that they're a good team, but not as a Super Bowl contender yet. The season still has the last half to go. I think Chris Johnson is gonna get slowed down, but just my speculation.

bored of education
10-20-2008, 05:58 PM
I told my boys and many others if the Steelers go 10-16 or 11-5 with that schedule then they def have a chance to win it. That was before the Colts played like poop and Tom Brady skinned his knee.

TitanHope
10-20-2008, 06:05 PM
Combined record of the teams the Titans have beat:12-26. I'm sold that they're a good team, but not as a Super Bowl contender yet. The season still has the last half to go. I think Chris Johnson is gonna get slowed down, but just my speculation.

Yeah, and it's not like the Titans' wins had anything to do with that record.

The "Well, there's still a bunch of games left to be played" excuse was used after Week 2, after Week 4, and now even after Week 7? Please...

Who is a Super Bowl contender in your opinion, without using speculation?

Oh, and the word "slow" should never be used in the same sentence as CJ. ;)

CC.SD
10-20-2008, 06:13 PM
Hey Bruce, the real problem with the Chargers is they don't get it. They are Jekkyl and Hyde because they don't show up to games they think they are better than. The only problem is, they are really bad on D this year and are losing games.

It's a big attitude problem and I'm not sure what to make of it this late in the season and with a very bad record. I blame coaching mostly, but really it's an epidemic.

Philip Rivers is still playing ferociously though, behind an O-line that is not doing him any favors. If anything is keeping this team afloat it's him and if we make the playoffs he's going to be the biggest reason by a landslide.

nrk
10-20-2008, 06:28 PM
Yeah, and it's not like the Titans' wins had anything to do with that record.

The "Well, there's still a bunch of games left to be played" excuse was used after Week 2, after Week 4, and now even after Week 7? Please...

Who is a Super Bowl contender in your opinion, without using speculation?

Oh, and the word "slow" should never be used in the same sentence as CJ. ;)

Just for the record, I'm not trying to take anything away from them. I think the next 4 weeks is going to be rough and it's gonna really test the Titans. Indy, Green Bay, @Chi, @Jacksonville.

For Super Bowl contenders I like Carolina, the Bucs, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Giants, and Dallas if they can rebound and make the playoffs. It's still early so I can see Green Bay and the Titans having a chance. You also can't count out Indy, San Diego or Jacksonville yet I don't think. It's just open right now.

tjsunstein
10-20-2008, 06:41 PM
Im not sure how you see the Bills a contender over the Packers. Even the Panthers.

nrk
10-20-2008, 06:50 PM
Im not sure how you see the Bills a contender over the Packers. Even the Panthers.

I think the Bills have a good recipe for success against the teams they will likely play in the playoffs. I just like the Panthers because they are pretty solid in all aspects of the game. Ryan Grant needs to step up for the Pack. It looked like he got the rust off but it was against Indy.

TitanHope
10-20-2008, 07:51 PM
Just for the record, I'm not trying to take anything away from them. I think the next 4 weeks is going to be rough and it's gonna really test the Titans. Indy, Green Bay, @Chi, @Jacksonville.

For Super Bowl contenders I like Carolina, the Bucs, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Giants, and Dallas if they can rebound and make the playoffs. It's still early so I can see Green Bay and the Titans having a chance. You also can't count out Indy, San Diego or Jacksonville yet I don't think. It's just open right now.

Ok, I can agree with all that you said. The next four weeks are gonne be the biggest test. It just depends if we get the Indy that played Baltimore, or the Indy that played Green Bay. Green Bay will also be a task. Positive is that we have both of them at home, and I think they're the toughest of the four. I think that the Titans can out Chicago, well, Chicago, and the Jags always play close, but we handled them earlier this year.

I agree with Pitt and Buffalo in the AFC, but as far as the NFC goes, it seems that there's a new leader every week; Especially in the NFC South and NFC East. So I really can't gauge those teams.

My only qualm is why are teams like the Bills and Steelers considered contenders and the Titans aren't? I just don't understand what separates the tiers.

If it's a matter of schedule, the Steelers are 5-1 against opponents who combined have gone 13-24 and the Bills are 5-1 against opponents who are 15-22 combined. Pittsburgh hasn't even played a team over .500, and the Bills lost to the only team on their schedule over .500 - the Cardinals. How are the Titans faulted for their schedule when other teams with just as mediocre SOS's have a free pass?

nrk
10-20-2008, 08:09 PM
My only qualm is why are teams like the Bills and Steelers considered contenders and the Titans aren't? I just don't understand what separates the tiers.

If it's a matter of schedule, the Steelers are 5-1 against opponents who combined have gone 13-24 and the Bills are 5-1 against opponents who are 15-22 combined. Pittsburgh hasn't even played a team over .500, and the Bills lost to the only team on their schedule over .500 - the Cardinals. How are the Titans faulted for their schedule when other teams with just as mediocre SOS's have a free pass?

Pitt has been getting it done past couple weeks without Willie Parker. They'll be a lot stronger with him.

bored of education
10-20-2008, 08:11 PM
Pitt still has one of the hardest schedules (using last year records, I dunno this years) out of any team

giantsfan
10-21-2008, 03:34 AM

The Bills have great special teams a very dependable defense which stuffs the run and runs an efficient cover-2. Offensively they're balance makes me comfortable picking them as a contender, they're not overly relient on one group dominating, but win games through large scale team effort. The Bills have been very consistent with the exception of one game where they lost their starting QB to a concussion and everyone was just flat from that point on not even giving JP a chance to prove he's horrible.

The panthers are so inconsistent from weak to weak that I just hate having to bet on them because you never know when they're just going to **** the bed. That defense is playing great right now, but some games they just get smacked and have no response, other games they're resilient look like a team that'll be dangerous at any point against any opponent.

I like Trent Edwards more than Aaron Rodgers right now. And I trust him to keep his offense clicking efficiently more.

tjsunstein
10-21-2008, 10:31 AM
The Bills have great special teams a very dependable defense which stuffs the run and runs an efficient cover-2. Offensively they're balance makes me comfortable picking them as a contender, they're not overly relient on one group dominating, but win games through large scale team effort. The Bills have been very consistent with the exception of one game where they lost their starting QB to a concussion and everyone was just flat from that point on not even giving JP a chance to prove he's horrible.

The panthers are so inconsistent from weak to weak that I just hate having to bet on them because you never know when they're just going to **** the bed. That defense is playing great right now, but some games they just get smacked and have no response, other games they're resilient look like a team that'll be dangerous at any point against any opponent.

I like Trent Edwards more than Aaron Rodgers right now. And I trust him to keep his offense clicking efficiently more.

I agree with you about the Panthers, I worded that wierd in my original post.

It's more of personal preference with Edwards and Rodgers, they're essentially the same quarterback. High percentage passes and neither make very many mistakes. The defensive battle goes to the Bills only because of their run D. Although, the Packers only allow a FG more a game and have the better back 7. When healthy, I would take the Packers as a whole defense. But they aren't. These teams are very similar but the elite teams in the AFC (Steelers, Titans, Jags I still consider up there and that is also debatable) make it harder for me to think of the Bills as a serious super bowl contender. I know its still early and they have a cupcake schedule but I cant see them holding on to this.

Mr. Stiller
10-21-2008, 02:04 PM
Pitt has been getting it done past couple weeks without Willie Parker. They'll be a lot stronger with him.

Lost:

Mendenhall, Simmons for the Season
McFadden, Marvel Smith for extended length of time (BMac 6+ Weeks, Marvel who knows)
DeShea Townsend, Casey Hampton, Brett Keisel, Willie Parker, Troy Polamalu, Carey Davis.

All missed 2+ Games.

Of those, Mendenhall was the only guy not seeing a lot of time, but was forced into action in Baltimore.

It's not easy to win missing your LT, RG, #1/#2 RB's, #1 FB, NT, RDE, SS, #2/#3 CB's.

luee
10-22-2008, 11:19 AM
Giants repeat, Eli over Kerry is my guess.

umphrey
10-22-2008, 11:28 AM
I'll go with Steelers over Bucs. Almost picked Giants for the NFC, but I stayed away from a repeat contender and there is usually a surprise team.

DeathbyStat
10-22-2008, 11:30 AM
I think its coming from the NFC....so Giants, Bucs or Panthers

yodabear
10-22-2008, 12:09 PM
I had the Chargers at the beginning of the season. Some advice for u: never pick a team coached by Norv Turner. I'll go with uh IDK, I'll say the Giants.