PDA

View Full Version : Joe Ganz

Bearsfan123
10-19-2008, 07:33 PM
The Nebraska QB is he a pro-prospect?

I ask because my boss actually played HS ball with him. And he has me keep tabs on the Nebraska games while we are at work. So that would be awesome if I actually had a QB from Chicago to root for.

holt_bruce81
10-19-2008, 07:50 PM
Undrafted Free agent maybe if he's lucky. Probably going to the CFL.

jnew76
10-19-2008, 08:08 PM
I hope he is not planning on giving it a go. IMO there is no way he has an NFL future.

Babylon
10-19-2008, 08:18 PM
We seem to be covering every D1 Qb lately, when i see Willie Tuatama's name mentioned i'm bailing.

jnew76
10-19-2008, 08:22 PM
We seem to be covering every D1 Qb lately, when i see Willie Tuatama's name mentioned i'm bailing.

TUITAMA - where does he go in the draft?

Had to be asked. love him as a prospect

thread officially hijacked - by the power of TUITAMA!!

Babylon
10-19-2008, 08:28 PM
TUITAMA - where does he go in the draft?

Had to be asked. love him as a prospect

thread officially hijacked - by the power of TUITAMA!!

I knew you guys wanted me gone and now you've done it:)

gutman54
10-20-2008, 05:27 PM
enjoy seeing joe ganz get some talk. but he probably won't make much of a name of himself in the NFL, sure I'd love to see it happen, but let's be realistic..great college qb, very underrated in that matter, see's the field well, and he's got incredible intangibles and i would have him on my team over plenty of those big named prospects. but just don't see him going on, he'll make a heck of a coach if he'd go down that path

bwillie26
10-20-2008, 09:24 PM
Short. Noodle arm. Poor field vision.

I'm a Nebraska fan and I love the guy, but he is one of those guys who will make a good college QB and little else.

STARHEATHER
10-21-2008, 08:03 PM
no. physically not gifted, short, mediocre at best throwing arm. waste pick. will never be a good nfl qb

batsandgats
04-11-2009, 09:29 PM
#15-DREW BREES Purdue University Boilermakers 5:11.7-221

ANALYSIS
Positives... Touch passer with the ability to read and diagnose defensive coverages...Confident leader who knows how to take command in the huddle...Very tough and mobile moving around in the pocket...Has a quick setup and is very effective throwing on the move...Throws across his body with great consistency...Hits receivers in stride and improvises his throws in order to make a completion...Puts good zip behind the short and mid-range passes...Shows good judgement and keen field vision...Has a take-charge attitude and is very cool under pressure...Hits receivers in motion with impressive velocity...Has superb pocket presence and uses all of his offensive weapons in order to move the chains...Has solid body mechanics and quickness moving away from center... Elusive scrambler with the body control to avoid the rush.

Negatives... Plays in the spread offense, taking the bulk of his snaps from the shotgun... Tends to side-arm his passes going deep...Lacks accuracy and touch on his long throws... Seems more comfortable in the short/intermediate passing attack...Does not possess the ideal height you look for in a pro passer, though his ability to scan the field helps him compensate in this area...Will improvise and run when the passing lanes are clogged, but tends to run through defenders rather than trying to avoid them to prevent unnecessary punishment.

Joe Ganz

Tough, scrappy leader who rallies his teammates around him. Good athlete with nice pocket presence and the ability to move to avoid defenders and find passing lanes. Runs to throw, keeping his eyes downfield rather than running for the down marker. Solid arm, decent release and reasonable accuracy. Can read a defense and makes quick decisions.

Yeah Drew Brees will never make it as a pro, too short and not good on long throws, even though he has one of the best passer ratings when it comes to the deep ball in the pros

sporzy
04-11-2009, 09:53 PM
I'm a Husker fan, and I just can't see Ganz being drafted. I could see him being training camp fodder for some team (the Bears) and playing a game or two in Pre-Season. I'm just not convinced he's good enough to stick in the NFL.

FrankGore
04-11-2009, 10:08 PM
Joe Ganz is not Drew Brees. :|

batsandgats
04-12-2009, 12:29 AM
Joe Ganz is not Drew Brees. :|

of course hes not drew brees, his name is JOE GANZ.

I am just saying they had similar negatives coming out of college and look how Brees turned out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83viEU_iUIo

its a Nate Swift video but look how he moves around the pocket looking for the big play willing to take the hit

drew brees at purdue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXT7ABSooxQ

Brent
04-12-2009, 12:34 AM
I love me some Nate Swift.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
04-12-2009, 01:11 AM
Brees was a 1st round QB, so to say he and Ganz had similar negatives coming out it is a reach. Sure, both had negatives, but Drew's positives were superior for playing the position.

What makes Ganz a potentially special QB at the next level?

Race for the Heisman
04-12-2009, 11:09 AM
I see Tony Romo in Ganz; I think they're rather similar and I think Ganz would probably have to have a similar development time to foster an understanding of the system to have good success in the NFL. By the same token, if I'm picking a developmental guy in the sixth or seventh and I'm choosing between someone like Todd Boeckman or Joe Ganz, I'm probably going to take Ganz.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
04-12-2009, 11:21 AM
Even Romo didn't know he was Romo until he got to the pros and competed.

There's no way of knowing if Ganz will develop into a franchise type/pro bowl QB this early in the evaluation process.

Oh, and Romo won the Walter Payton Award at Eastern Illinois, D1AA's version of the Heisman trophy and was a consensus AA.

I just don't get the comparison at all, Race for the Heisman.

Race for the Heisman
04-12-2009, 11:42 AM
Even Romo didn't know he was Romo until he got to the pros and competed.

There's no way of knowing if Ganz will develop into a franchise type/pro bowl QB this early in the evaluation process.

Oh, and Romo won the Walter Payton Award at Eastern Illinois, D1AA's version of the Heisman trophy and was a consensus AA.

I just don't get the comparison at all, Race for the Heisman.

The comparison stems from the fact that I see them as similar players. Awards aside they are/were both fringe prospects with good pocket presence, mobility, good but hardly great arms, and intelligence. I know Ganz played in the Big 12 but it's not like he can't play. His numbers aren't too much worse than Colt McCoy's, and I hate using numbers because I'm not a numbers guy, but I'm just saying that Ganz can play. Regardless of numbers (height, 40, whatever) he can play, and that might make him worth a flyer late. Now, I still have him as my 31st rated quarterback (usually 13 - I think - are drafted each year), so I'm not saying he's the ****, but I'm saying in the right situation I could Ganz panning out about like Romo.

batsandgats
04-12-2009, 05:26 PM
I just dont see how someone like Nate Davis could be ranked ahead of him

batsandgats
04-12-2009, 05:27 PM
The comparison stems from the fact that I see them as similar players. Awards aside they are/were both fringe prospects with good pocket presence, mobility, good but hardly great arms, and intelligence. I know Ganz played in the Big 12 but it's not like he can't play. His numbers aren't too much worse than Colt McCoy's, and I hate using numbers because I'm not a numbers guy, but I'm just saying that Ganz can play. Regardless of numbers (height, 40, whatever) he can play, and that might make him worth a flyer late. Now, I still have him as my 31st rated quarterback (usually 13 - I think - are drafted each year), so I'm not saying he's the ****, but I'm saying in the right situation I could Ganz panning out about like Romo.

whats your list of quarterbacks

Race for the Heisman
04-12-2009, 08:52 PM
whats your list of quarterbacks

Actually when I went to post my ranking I realized that one was old and had a lot of underclassmen in it. Ganz is actually 21, which still isn't really draftable.

1. Matthew Stafford - Georgia (1)
2. Mark Sanchez - Southern Cal (1)
3. Josh Freeman - Kansas State (1)
4. Bomar, Rhett - Sam Houston State (2)
5. White, Patrick - West Virginia (2-3)
6. Stephen McGee - Texas A&M (3)
7. Nate Davis - Ball State (4)
8. Drew Willy - Buffalo (4)
9. Graham Harrell - Texas Tech (4-5)
10. Hunter Cantwell - Louisville (5)
11. Mike Teel - Rutgers (5-6)
12. Cullen Harper - Clemson (6)
13. Chris Crane - Boston College (7)
14. Chase Clement - Rice
15. John Parker Wilson - Alabama
16. Tom Brandstater - Fresno State
17. Curtis Painter - Purdue
18. Willie Tuitma - Arizona
19. Brian Hoyer - Michigan State
20. C.J. Bacher - Northwestern
21. Joe Ganz - Nebraska
22. David Johnson - Tulsa
23. Mike Reilly - Central Washington
24. Chase Holbrook - New Mexico State
25. Rudy Carpenter - Arizona State
26. Casey Dick - Arkansas
27. Jason Boltus - Hartwick
28. Todd Boeckman - Ohio State
29. Chase Daniel - Missouri
30. Nathan Brown - Central Arkansas
31. Sean Glennon - Virginia Tech
32. Nate Longshore - Cal

Basically you have the guys who can really play and have it all or more physically (Stafford, Sanchez), the guys who have almost all of it (Freeman, Bomar) but just aren't on the same level, a few really nice project players (White, Davis, Willy, Harrell), and some other projects that are going to a significant bit more time (Teel, Harper, and Crane).

The rest are all significantly average or significantly lacking in one or more areas.

Smokey Joe
04-12-2009, 09:14 PM
Isn't much of a prospect, but is well known around my area and I know a few people who know him/played with him.

gutman54
04-13-2009, 12:26 PM
He has a high football IQ and incredible leadership abilities. He may not have the arm strength, but knows to check down to the 3rd and 4th options. Probably would end up being a career 3rd stringer. Another note, he has good mobility, and has been able to grasp a pro style offense which could pay dividends down the road. Interesting guy, if he had another 2 inches on him he'd be at least a top 15 QB.

gutman54
04-18-2009, 05:46 PM
Got a try out with the Bears. Can't tell if this is a good thing as they just picked up Cutler. Could play on their practice squad.