PDA

View Full Version : Winslow thought about asking for a trade.

PoopSandwich
10-19-2008, 08:28 PM
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2008/10/staph_infection_sidelined_wins.html

Browns tight end Kellen Winslow revealed to the Plain Dealer Sunday night that his previously undisclosed illness was a staph infection and that he's upset with the way the team handled that situation and others regarding him.

He specifically said he feels like a "piece of meat" and expressed dismay Browns General Manager Phil Savage didn't call him while he was in the Cleveland Clinic last week. He said he's also upset that the team wanted to keep the illness quiet and that they announced it was Winslow who didn't want it revealed.

"There's obviously a problem and we have to fix it," said Winslow. "Just look at the history around here."

It was the second staph infection suffered by Winslow since 2005 and the sixth by a key player since 2005. It was the seventh known staph infection in the past four years. Others include former Browns center LeCharles Bentley, receiver Joe Jurevicius, receiver Braylon Edwards, former safety Brian Russell and former linebacker Ben Taylor.

Bentley's career might be over because of the staph and Jurevicius is still battling to recover from the infection. There's a good chance he'll be placed on injured reserve in the next couple of weeks.

"A big reason I'm upset right now has to do with [the staph infection]," said Winslow. "I heard from Romeo Crennel and I heard from my position coach [Alfredo Roberts] when I was in the Clinic. I never heard from the man upstairs -- Phil Savage -- and that really disappoints me.

"I feel I've done a lot for this team, played through a lot of pain and given it my all. I just thought I deserved a little better than that."

Winslow said he was so upset that he wanted to ask for a trade before last Tuesday's trading deadline. He said Savage knew how he felt. He said he also spoke to Savage Sunday and expressed his dismay that he hasn't reached out to him.

"I could have easily asked for a trade, but I didn't," said Winslow. "I was definitely thinking about it."

Winslow said he's also upset that Savage keeps saying his contract re-negotiation is on the back burner and that now is not the time.

"I'm just frustrated with a lot of things," he said.

Some of Winslow's teammates questioned whether he wanted to say all that he was saying during the interview, and he assured them he wanted to get things off his chest.

"I'm okay, I'm okay," he said.

Winslow said he's not finished here, but just disillusioned with his treatment from upper management.

"I give my heart and soul to this team," he said. "I just wish there had been a little more concern over this situation."

Don't blame him, this team is a joke right now.

The Unseen
10-19-2008, 08:32 PM
So that was their normal size?

PoopSandwich
10-19-2008, 08:34 PM
So that was their normal size?

Yeah Kellen was mad that someone on the inside was saying they swelled to that size, when they were really that big all along.

ATLDirtyBirds
10-19-2008, 08:39 PM
We could use him in Atlanta.

MetSox17
10-19-2008, 08:41 PM
Is it the Cleveland water?

TitleTown088
10-19-2008, 08:41 PM
Who wants him in their lockerroom? He's literally an infection waiting to happen.

Sniper
10-19-2008, 08:42 PM
Rumor has it Philly inquired about a trade for him.

PoopSandwich
10-19-2008, 08:43 PM
Who wants him in their lockerroom? He's literally an infection waiting to happen.

How? He hasn't done anything since college to warrant that sort of label what-so-ever.

PoopSandwich
10-19-2008, 08:44 PM
Is it the Cleveland water?

It's Cleveland in general, our sports teams suck or when they do good, choke.

Our city is filthy as hell, our best players get booed.

TitleTown088
10-19-2008, 08:46 PM
How? He hasn't done anything since college to warrant that sort of label what-so-ever.

Staff. Infect....

He's just a Ryan Grant wannabe.

brat316
10-19-2008, 08:51 PM
Is the Browns locker room that grimy and dirty

skinzzfan25
10-19-2008, 08:53 PM
No love for the soulja??

jballa838
10-19-2008, 08:54 PM
Connecticut has measles, cleveland has staph.

PoopSandwich
10-19-2008, 09:09 PM
Staff. Infect....

He's just a Ryan Grant wannabe.

Sorry bro wasn't able to catch the pun, today kind of pissed me off a bit not on top of my game ;)

On a serious note though, what the hell is up with the Browns offense/defense... its like the poles shifted with our team.

d34ng3l021
10-19-2008, 09:11 PM
Yeah. Bring him to Atlanta if all else fails. He would be amazing with Ryan and Roddy.

PoopSandwich
10-19-2008, 09:14 PM
Yeah. Bring him to Atlanta if all else fails. He would be amazing with Ryan and Roddy.

K2 would fit well in Atlanta, if he gets traded I hope he makes the Browns FO pay.

BlindSite
10-19-2008, 09:16 PM
Staph infections aren't that uncommon surprisingly but it does raise questions about the cleanliness of the medical staff.

Brent
10-19-2008, 10:11 PM
Teams hide staph infections because it makes a team look bad, as if they're not sanitary. Niners did the same with Josh Morgan but I guess they handled that properly.

CashmoneyDrew
10-19-2008, 11:05 PM
Staph is scary stuff. Icky and scary.

locseti
10-20-2008, 12:24 AM
I remember thinking 'why is Winslow in the hospital' I actually heard it was because of an STD. The organization made it sound like he was the one who wanted to keep it quiet, that's messed up. People think he has herpes when its the nasty Cleveland facilities and instruments infecting him.