PDA

View Full Version : In case any of you thought Goodell was being nice to Matt Jones...

The Unseen
10-19-2008, 08:50 PM
http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/local/news-article.aspx?storyid=121412&provider=rss

Radio reports have it at 4 games.

Saints-Tigers
10-19-2008, 08:53 PM
In Matt Jones' defense, Cocaine is a helluva drug.

Babylon
10-19-2008, 10:55 PM
If Jones were black they would have thrown the book at him yada yada yada.....

Vox Populi
10-19-2008, 10:56 PM
Ummm... bye...

yo123
10-19-2008, 11:02 PM
Why did Goodell make him wait around so long. Just suspend him and be done with it.

Babylon
10-19-2008, 11:06 PM
Why did Goodell make him wait around so long. Just suspend him and be done with it.

Something trivial like innocent till proven guilty.

CashmoneyDrew
10-19-2008, 11:07 PM
"Is this the 4 o'clock free crack give away?"

http://www.susk.net/images/Tyrone_Biggums.jpg

Number 10
10-19-2008, 11:08 PM
Some posters rushed to a conclusion?! No way!

yo123
10-19-2008, 11:11 PM
Something trivial like innocent till proven guilty.

Oh, can't say I've really been following this story, I thought he was already proven guilty.

JT Jag
10-19-2008, 11:18 PM
Oh, can't say I've really been following this story, I thought he was already proven guilty.Yes. Last week, days before the game.

This is the first opportunity they had to suspend him.

Fortunately for us he'll be out during the easiest portion of the schedule.

Babylon
10-19-2008, 11:18 PM
Oh, can't say I've really been following this story, I thought he was already proven guilty.

He got busted some time ago but just had his day in court. Sort of got off pretty easy (dont you try it) but the league isnt going to let it go so he will be suspended.

GB12
10-19-2008, 11:20 PM
Fortunately for us he'll be out during the easiest portion of the schedule.
Wait, Jags fans care about Matt Jones?

FlyingElvis
10-20-2008, 02:03 PM
"Jones was arrested and charged with one count of cocaine possession on July 10, when a Fayetteville police officer saw him inside a parked car allegedly cutting up cocaine with a Foot Locker credit card. The charge carries a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison and a $10,000 fine."

Foot Locker must be pretty amped about the free publicity!

[insert "line of credit" pun here]

locseti
10-20-2008, 02:50 PM
Why was he chopping it up on a cd case in a parked car - this aint high school, you're a ******* millionaire.

iowatreat54
10-20-2008, 02:53 PM
inconsistency, Goodell sucks, Hines Ward something, etc.

Gay Ork Wang
10-20-2008, 02:54 PM
inconsistency, Goodell sucks, Hines Ward something, etc.
explain the inconsistency

iowatreat54
10-20-2008, 02:55 PM
explain the inconsistency

I was a mocking previous threads/posts about how much the NFL sucks

Gay Ork Wang
10-20-2008, 02:58 PM
I was a mocking previous threads/posts about how much the NFL sucks
oh u should only mock Mr Stiller

P-L
10-20-2008, 02:58 PM
Good. Now I don't have to hear Mr. Stiller ***** about it.

skinzzfan25
10-20-2008, 03:05 PM
Why was he chopping it up on a cd case in a parked car - this aint high school, you're a ******* millionaire.

I wonder what CD he was listening to haha.

iowatreat54
10-20-2008, 03:06 PM

yea, that's why I threw in "Hines Ward something"

let's hope nothing comes of Hines's block on Keith Rivers or we are all in for a fun week or so

Gay Ork Wang
10-20-2008, 03:10 PM
"Drop it like its hot", just like his gameplay!

iowatreat54
10-20-2008, 03:11 PM
I wonder what CD he was listening to haha.

Grateful Dead "Workingman's Dead" Side 2 Track 4

PACKmanN
10-20-2008, 03:29 PM
This is actually a more horrible timing then the start of the season. He was actually starting to play better and with the horrible wide out play out of Jacksonville wide outs it will just hurt them more. Plus they haven't secured their playoff hopes yet.

JT Jag
10-20-2008, 04:25 PM
Intriguingly, no one--- not the Jaguars and not the NFL--- have made comment about this yet.

Fck JC, He got off e.z
10-20-2008, 04:29 PM
Conduct policy NEEDS to be a major issue in the CBA talks. Something has to give eventually here...

PoopSandwich
10-20-2008, 04:44 PM
They should suspend him 8 just for doing it in a parking lot, what a dumb piece of ****.

illmatic74
10-20-2008, 05:29 PM
I like there to be a time in America where you can do cocaine in your car and its not a problem. ( I don't do coke but it should be legal because it is a personal decision that only affects you).

21ST
10-20-2008, 05:41 PM
I like there to be a time in America where you can do cocaine in your car and its not a problem. ( I don't do coke but it should be legal because it is a personal decision that only affects you).

have you ever heard of alittle thing called crack

Fck JC, He got off e.z
10-20-2008, 05:43 PM
have you ever heard of alittle thing called crack

How does that relate AT ALL to what he posted?

21ST
10-20-2008, 05:45 PM
How does that relate AT ALL to what he posted?

if it was legal the country would go to shits

neko4
10-20-2008, 05:48 PM
Conduct policy NEEDS to be a major issue in the CBA talks. Something has to give eventually here...
NFL needs a hamurabi code

Fck JC, He got off e.z
10-20-2008, 05:50 PM
if it was legal the country would go to shits

Right, because since it was legal, everybody would start doing it. After all, I'm sure it's the threat of the law that causes crackheads to stop smoking rocks.

BBIB
10-21-2008, 09:59 PM
If Jones were black they would have thrown the book at him yada yada yada.....

Well if anything variable would have changed it probably would have been the media coverage. Then again if one wants to give the media the benefit of the doubt (something I rarely do) it could be because he plays for the small market Jaguars.

brat316
10-21-2008, 10:38 PM
I was wrong, I thought the NFL was going to let him walk. So now I guess the League is going to wait and see what happens in court, and then hand out their punishment. Makes scene so they don't give out unneeded punishments.

I figure after a while if the player gets in repeated trouble they aren't going to wait for the court date.

Twiddler
10-21-2008, 10:49 PM
Right, because since it was legal, everybody would start doing it. After all, I'm sure it's the threat of the law that causes crackheads to stop smoking rocks.

Can we just go without getting another thread locked? That's great that you have an opinion about it, but we should all keep it to our self in this case. I mean, I don't care that much about this thread, but all we are doing is beating a dead horse that always results in a locked thread.

And with regards to the thread, Jones was officially suspended 3 games today. So one less than expected.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3654599

awfullyquiet
10-22-2008, 12:17 AM
goodell was too nice to matty j.

he should have gotten 4 years, not 4 games.

The Unseen
10-22-2008, 04:42 PM
Wait, Jags fans care about Matt Jones?

He's our leading receiver, and has actually shown improvement in skill.

Mr. Stiller
10-22-2008, 05:16 PM

Odell Thurman Agrees.

Sorry, Forgot.. I just about had a damn opinion again.

Oh no, I get neg repped. I'm sorry whats the majorities opinion so I can fall in line?

Twiddler
10-22-2008, 05:50 PM
Odell Thurman Agrees.

Sorry, Forgot.. I just about had a damn opinion again.

Oh no, I get neg repped. I'm sorry whats the majorities opinion so I can fall in line?

http://modculture.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/lambchop.jpg

This is the song that never ends.
It goes on and on my friends.
Someone started singing it not knowing what it was,
and they'll continue singing it forever just because...

That's right, I referenced Lamb Chop...

Mr. Stiller
10-22-2008, 05:53 PM
http://modculture.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/lambchop.jpg

This is the song that never ends.
It goes on and on my friends.
Someone started singing it not knowing what it was,
and they'll continue singing it forever just because...

That's right, I referenced Lamb Chop...

Hey, I have no issue admitting I was wrong.

I just don't understand why I get so much crap for pointing out some inconsistencies?

I'm not even worried about it. I could care less I just can't for the life of me figure out how..

2 DUI's = 4 games
1 possession = 4 games
1 DUI+Missed drug test = 2 years.

Which was all I had asked. Oh, that and why did it take the NFL so long to act on this. When Everyone else had their issues arise, they were suspended pending further review. With Jones he got how many games played since the incident and is just now being punished?

awfullyquiet
10-22-2008, 11:55 PM
Which was all I had asked. Oh, that and why did it take the NFL so long to act on this. When Everyone else had their issues arise, they were suspended pending further review. With Jones he got how many games played since the incident and is just now being punished?

Legal System.
That's why.

Mr. Stiller
10-23-2008, 12:27 AM
Legal System.
That's why.

At which Point I'd throw out that the NFL hasn't necessarily waited for the legal systems rulings on several other cases.

Including Pacman Jones, Odell Thurman.

awfullyquiet
10-23-2008, 12:28 AM
At which Point I'd throw out that the NFL hasn't necessarily waited for the legal systems rulings on several other cases.

Including Pacman Jones, Odell Thurman.

Pacman and Odell both had priors.

Mr. Stiller
10-23-2008, 12:32 AM
Pacman and Odell both had priors.

So, You don't think 2 years for a DUI and Missed Drug test is over doing it?

I could care less really about Pacman Jones.. I'm just trying to find an understanding how 1 DUI and Missed Drug Test is a 2 year offense as opposed to Jared Allens 2 DUI's for 4 games.

awfullyquiet
10-23-2008, 12:33 AM
So, You don't think 2 years for a DUI and Missed Drug test is over doing it?

I could care less really about Pacman Jones.. I'm just trying to find an understanding how 1 DUI and Missed Drug Test is a 2 year offense as opposed to Jared Allens 2 DUI's for 4 games.

Not all facts are disclosed. If there's confidential agreements relating between the office of the commish and players, and said agreements get broken, i expect consequences. I don't think that the league is TOTALLY off it's rocker and makes up numbers, but i do think that the league doesn't give the full story. ever.

Mr. Stiller
10-23-2008, 12:37 AM
Not all facts are disclosed. If there's confidential agreements relating between the office of the commish and players, and said agreements get broken, i expect consequences. I don't think that the league is TOTALLY off it's rocker and makes up numbers, but i do think that the league doesn't give the full story. ever.

While that may be true, it's not like this is a difference of 1-4 games... this was 2 years and it ended up being Odell's career.

Odell was an idiot, but I can't see a 28 Game Difference between Allen and Odell's offenses.

awfullyquiet
10-23-2008, 12:41 AM
While that may be true, it's not like this is a difference of 1-4 games... this was 2 years and it ended up being Odell's career.

Odell was an idiot, but I can't see a 28 Game Difference between Allen and Odell's offenses.

Players will be made examples of. If you're trying to tell me Odell didn't deserve it, well. I don't think anyone deserves it, or everyone deserves it if they do something wrong.

Everyone gets punished if they violate the rules, how they get punished is merely cake afterwards. I don't feel that odell being suspended for two years was 'too harsh'. I don't think anyone can make that claim. He had his opportunity to be straight. And he failed. It's his fault. Not the leagues. How many chances should you give these people? Especially idiots like odell...

Mr. Stiller
10-23-2008, 12:44 AM
Players will be made examples of. If you're trying to tell me Odell didn't deserve it, well. I don't think anyone deserves it, or everyone deserves it if they do something wrong.

Everyone gets punished if they violate the rules, how they get punished is merely cake afterwards. I don't feel that odell being suspended for two years was 'too harsh'. I don't think anyone can make that claim. He had his opportunity to be straight. And he failed. It's his fault. Not the leagues. How many chances should you give these people? Especially idiots like odell...

Odell had 2 offenses. Meanwhile... Other guys with 2 offenses, get a slap on the wrist in comparison.

I have no problem with Odell out of the league. My issue is that I can't understand why Some guys get a "Severe" punishment to be made example of, meanwhile another guy who made more the offenses after the "Example" was made and the guy gets next to nothing.

awfullyquiet
10-23-2008, 12:47 AM
I have no problem with Odell out of the league. My issue is that I can't understand why Some guys get a "Severe" punishment to be made example of, meanwhile another guy who made more the offenses after the "Example" was made and the guy gets next to nothing.

Because there may have been other 'information' that is not released to the press. I don't think that goodell is intentionally being inconsistent. It wouldn't make THAT much sense... league policy is being reconstructed yes, but precedence is being set with reinstatement clauses, not closed ended suspensions...

Mr. Stiller
10-23-2008, 12:50 AM
Because there may have been other 'information' that is not released to the press. I don't think that goodell is intentionally being inconsistent. It wouldn't make THAT much sense... league policy is being reconstructed yes, but precedence is being set with reinstatement clauses, not closed ended suspensions...

I see your side and it's well thought out. I can understand that there's more than being said on either side.

I just can't comprehend that He had enough done out of the media eye to where he earned 2 seasons off when 2 DUI's can be as small as a 4 game suspension.