PDA

View Full Version : Dez Bryant?

foozball
10-19-2008, 09:17 PM
Could he be the next Larry Fitzgerald? He's got good size at 6'2 210lbs. Great hands and ability to adjust to the ball. Good ballskills. Physical. Good route runner. Good leaper. Just isnt the fastest of guys, but really knows how to use what separation he does get. He's having a heck of a year with 809 yards receiving and 11 TD's. 1st in Y/G and 3rd in TD's. Just a soph, how does he project as a prospect?

illmatic74
10-19-2008, 09:19 PM
Not Larry Fistgerald but behind Benn in my sophmore wr rankings.

jnew76
10-19-2008, 09:26 PM
Sophomores - 2nd year WR's

1. Arrelius Benn - Illinois
2. Damaryius Thomas - Georgia Tech
3. Dez Bryant - Oklahoma St.
4. Terrance Tolliver - LSU

That is how I would have them right now. there are others, but I can't think of them all right now...

illmatic74
10-19-2008, 09:28 PM
Add Carlton Mitchell of USF

STARHEATHER
10-19-2008, 09:29 PM
hes the best ive seen. hes big, fast, physical, great hands, high points the ball well, makes tons of big plays. also has value added skills. hes the best pure pass catcher ive seen. theres no comparison between him and mike crabtree. bryant is far superior, both physically and as a pas receiver. not eligible i believe but hes the truth amongst the lies. next larry fitz im not sure id go there but hes the real deal. they also have a potential stud rb in kendall hunter. they are a very good team. i expect them to give texas a tough battle. bryant is the truth.

sodar21
10-19-2008, 09:30 PM
Sophomores - 2nd year WR's

1. Arrelius Benn - Illinois
2. Damaryius Thomas - Georgia Tech
3. Dez Bryant - Oklahoma St.
4. Terrance Tolliver - LSU

That is how I would have them right now. there are others, but I can't think of them all right now...

Has Tolliver done anything to deserve being on that list?

HawkeyeFan
10-19-2008, 10:38 PM
I remember Iowa was really close to recruiting him :(

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
10-19-2008, 10:44 PM
No Michael Crabtree??? To me Michael Crabtree is Larry Fitzgerald and Dez Bryant is Anquan Boldin.

illmatic74
10-19-2008, 10:45 PM
I remember Iowa was really close to recruiting him :( International sign of greatness.

Ozzy
10-19-2008, 10:52 PM
JeffSamardzijaIRISH: To me Michael Crabtree is Larry Fitzgerald and Dez Bryant is Anquan Boldin.Completely disagree, Crabtree does not have the body control, pure route running or hands that Fitzgerald showed all throughout his college days. Dez Bryant to Boldin, is that a joke? Bryant is a skinny tall leaper, Bolding is a stocky powerful hand guy. Two pretty weak comparisons in my book.

Dez Bryant has great potential, wonderful prospect and his ability to get the ball in the air is what is most exciting about him. As for him being slow, ok he is not amazingly fast but I would not call him slow or average in speed.

STARHEATHER
10-19-2008, 11:02 PM
dez bryant is far superior to crabtree. mr bubble screen and hitch route all day. ive never seen michael crabtree make a play when hes covered. ive seen them twice this year and everything was bubble screen hitch route or wide open after the play breaks down. im smelling a bust. hes made nowhere near the catches bryant has, cant return kicks like bryant, is slower than bryant, leaping ability body control, hands all bryant all day. and he doesnt tweak an ankle every week

foozball
10-19-2008, 11:18 PM
so...no fitzy? i just thought there were alot of similarities in their toolsets and size. larry is 6'3 220lbs compared to 6'2 210lbs. neither is a burner, but they have every other part of their game down pat.

STARHEATHER
10-19-2008, 11:23 PM
i dont like to do that. comparing a college player to a perrenial pro bowler. he flashes some of those type abilities. there arent too many that do. certainly more than mr bubble screen hitch route all day crabtree or arrelious benn. hes been the best wr ive seen this year. i cant even remember anyone ive seen close. maybe julio jones.

LonghornsLegend
10-19-2008, 11:25 PM
Bryant is very impressive and a great pro prospect, he looks like a future stud, he's amazing with the ball in his hands also...He sticks out when you watch him, boat loads of potential too.

thebow305
10-19-2008, 11:29 PM
Completely disagree, Crabtree does not have the body control, pure route running or hands that Fitzgerald showed all throughout his college days. Dez Bryant to Boldin, is that a joke? Bryant is a skinny tall leaper, Bolding is a stocky powerful hand guy. Two pretty weak comparisons in my book.

Dez Bryant has great potential, wonderful prospect and his ability to get the ball in the air is what is most exciting about him. As for him being slow, ok he is not amazingly fast but I would not call him slow or average in speed.

Dez Bryant skinny?

I hope you are joking here.

I think Quan is a great comparison for Bryant.

STARHEATHER
10-19-2008, 11:30 PM
this will be the biggest test of the year for texas. ok st is a good team they have lots of weapons on offense, bryant, pettigrew, kendal hunter is an nfl back. pretty good qb and theyve found some defense. they better be on upset alert. they wont be as easily handled as missouri. they match up well physically and could give tx some problems

LonghornsLegend
10-19-2008, 11:37 PM
Completely disagree, Crabtree does not have the body control, pure route running or hands that Fitzgerald showed all throughout his college days. Dez Bryant to Boldin, is that a joke? Bryant is a skinny tall leaper, Bolding is a stocky powerful hand guy. Two pretty weak comparisons in my book.

Not so sure about that, I have seen quite a bit of both in college, and I see alot of similiarities in those 3 categories, you could easily say Fitz was superior but an argument could be made otherwise and it's not as one sided as you make it out to be.

STARHEATHER
10-19-2008, 11:45 PM
ive never seen crabtree go over a guy and steal a pass at the high point or beat anyone on a straight deep route in the two games i got of theirs. everything is bubble screen, hitch, or after the play breaks down. and he hurt his ankle both games

CashmoneyDrew
10-19-2008, 11:48 PM
ive never seen crabtree go over a guy and steal a pass at the high point or beat anyone on a straight deep route in the two games i got of theirs. everything is bubble screen, hitch, or after the play breaks down. and he hurt his ankle both games

Even though the system he's in helps him get open, so does his route running. Not to mention he is excellent with YAC. He impressed the hell out of me in the Oklahoma game last year. And that defense wasn't exactly poor.

CroomDawgs
10-19-2008, 11:49 PM
I've seen both Bryant and Benn play and both IMO are the top 2 soph receivers, but Benns a clear number 1. Mythbusta if you bothered to watch benn you'd know that. Benn could easily bench press Bryant and has great hands.

LonghornsLegend
10-19-2008, 11:52 PM

He's done it plenty times, he makes plays however he has too, and his acceleration out of his breaks is faster then Fitz, his shuttle time is going to be crazy...He's going to be raw coming out because of their offense and he was playing QB in HS but he's going to develop into the type of WR that takes over games much like Fitzgerald can.

jnew76
10-19-2008, 11:53 PM
Has Tolliver done anything to deserve being on that list?

Not really. Definitely more of a talent projection than anything. Miles plays Byrd and Lafell because they are older. He rarely if ever plays/starts the younger players if he does not have to. When Tolliver is on the field, I really like what I have seen so far.

I expect him to have a big year next year.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-20-2008, 08:42 AM
I'd take Benn right now over any wideout in last year or this years draft class. He is only going to get stronger and more polished. Benn should be a top 10 pick next year.

Brent
10-20-2008, 09:02 AM
Bryant is freaking awesome.

STARHEATHER
10-21-2008, 09:08 PM
im going to have to disagree on benn. hes a talent, but hes nowhere near the pass catcher bryant is. he runs a fade route he gets it like 90 % of the time. he goes over the middle, hes physical, he blocks, he beats guys deep, he just does everything you want. you just dont see benn or crabtree doing the stuff he does. and hes making more big plays than they are. plus he returns kicks as does benn, but i think bryant is better at it. crabtree doesnt have any value added skills. i like bryant and julio jones as the two best wrs in any class.

CashmoneyDrew
10-21-2008, 09:25 PM
im going to have to disagree on benn. hes a talent, but hes nowhere near the pass catcher bryant is. he runs a fade route he gets it like 90 % of the time. he goes over the middle, hes physical, he blocks, he beats guys deep, he just does everything you want. you just dont see benn or crabtree doing the stuff he does. and hes making more big plays than they are. plus he returns kicks as does benn, but i think bryant is better at it. crabtree doesnt have any value added skills. i like bryant and julio jones as the two best wrs in any class.

Crabtree returns kicks when they let him....

STARHEATHER
10-21-2008, 09:29 PM
ive never seen it. if you have does he strike you as an nfl level return man, which for me means bringing a few back

Paranoidmoonduck
10-21-2008, 09:30 PM
I really like Dez Bryant, perhaps even more than I like Michael Crabtree right now (it's really close).

I just can't wait until we start seeing these great receivers coming out. The NFL has been wideout starved the last couple years save a few nice surprises, but we're going to see a lot of potential #1 receivers coming out soon.

CashmoneyDrew
10-21-2008, 09:31 PM
ive never seen it. if you have does he strike you as an nfl level return man, which for me means bringing a few back

IDK. I don't get to watch TT that much. I just know he returned kicks last year. I think they pulled him from it this year.

STARHEATHER
10-21-2008, 09:39 PM
i agree its pretty thin right now. but there looks to be some really good ones soon. julio jones, bryant, theres a dude from georgia. i dont like the class this year but the next few classes could be solid

CroomDawgs
10-22-2008, 10:46 AM

I'm convinced you've never watched Benn Play once. No one gets the YAC yards he does, he has tremendous strength, very good hands, a solid blocker, and runs very solid routes. Bryant is very good too not trying to say he's not but Benn is more complete. Also you think Bryants a better returner? Are you kidding me, please watch his return against PSU last year and then come talk to me. I've not seen many returns better than that one.

CroomDawgs
10-22-2008, 10:47 AM
i agree its pretty thin right now. but there looks to be some really good ones soon. julio jones, bryant, theres a dude from georgia. i dont like the class this year but the next few classes could be solid

His name is AJ Green

STARHEATHER
10-22-2008, 02:05 PM
hes pretty good aj green from ga. benn isnt nearly the polished pass catcher bryant is. and bryant returns kicks to the house and runs reverses to the house and all that stuf too. hes a better pass catcher. thats why hes better. hes the best pass catcher in any class w/ julio jones. i dont see benn nearly as polished and ive seen them quite a few times last few years. i dont dislike benn. i just like bryant more.

ATLDirtyBirds
10-22-2008, 02:11 PM

Well, if you've seen two games... who are we to even argue?

CroomDawgs
10-22-2008, 02:16 PM
hes pretty good aj green from ga. benn isnt nearly the polished pass catcher bryant is. and bryant returns kicks to the house and runs reverses to the house and all that stuf too. hes a better pass catcher. thats why hes better. hes the best pass catcher in any class w/ julio jones. i dont see benn nearly as polished and ive seen them quite a few times last few years. i dont dislike benn. i just like bryant more.

Benn RUns reverses, Options, screens, returns, deep routes, over the middle, he DOES IT ALL. The last few years? He's a sophomore.

Lets just agree to disagree. I do think as a depp threat Bryant is better and Dez is my number 2 soph receiver but I'm goin Benn all the way. He's an all-purpose player, but his strength, hands, and YAC yards make him a dynamic WR

STARHEATHER
10-22-2008, 02:52 PM
bryant does all that stuff too that was my point. and as far as catching the ball, bryant is far superior. so i like bryant.

Texas Homer
10-23-2008, 12:26 AM
Dez Bryant is the best WR in the country. He is that Legit and that Big Time.

STARHEATHER
10-23-2008, 08:30 PM
i like him and julio jones. neck and neck

CroomDawgs
10-23-2008, 10:18 PM
bryant does all that stuff too that was my point. and as far as catching the ball, bryant is far superior. so i like bryant.

Ok, he is not far superior, no by any strecth. Please explain, what makes him "far superior"

STARHEATHER
10-23-2008, 10:25 PM
hes better at catching the ball. he makes nfl catches on a regular basis. hes 11 tds to 5 for benn. what i try to look for is guys who make plays when theyre covered. bryant makes plays when hes covered. theyre similar athletically. they both have value added. i like bryants catching. he makes plays when hes covered.

scottyboy
10-23-2008, 10:27 PM
i like him and julio jones. neck and neck

damn, and they had such promising futures too. RIP to their careers

CroomDawgs
10-23-2008, 10:27 PM
U cannot be serious. Benn is in a system based of the read option, not to mention Benn has rushing scores since he plays running back sometimes. Have you watched Benn? He makes plays when he's covered, running the option, returning, he does everything. Because he has 11 TDs in an offense that racks up stats opposed to a more run based team like Illinois, that makes him FAR superior? No, no it does not.

He makes plays when he's covered. And Benn can't? Yes he can, he routinely does.

STARHEATHER
10-23-2008, 10:33 PM
that sounds like an excuse. id call what ok st does similar to the read option. illinois throws it more id say. but bryant is putting up the better #s. ive not seen arrelious benn take the ball away from any dbs. ive seen bryant do it several times.

Zyro_1014
10-23-2008, 11:44 PM
that sounds like an excuse. id call what ok st does similar to the read option. illinois throws it more id say. but bryant is putting up the better #s. ive not seen arrelious benn take the ball away from any dbs. ive seen bryant do it several times.

The Big 10 plays defense...the big 12 on the other hand, most are getting 30 or 40 points put on em.

IMO Benn goes up against tougher defenses week in and week out and he is an animal.

CroomDawgs
10-25-2008, 08:41 PM

Thats it, you have no credibility. That statement right there shows me you have never watched Rejus Benn. Unreal, for once i believed you had some credibility in this conversation, but you don't. Wow

sweetness34
10-26-2008, 03:19 PM
Benn is in a spread offense in which he is used in the option, plus he plays with 3 other WR's on the field most of the time.

I love Juice as well but if AB had a consistent throwing QB he would be putting up ridiculous numbers right now. He is an absolute beast in the mold of Anquan Boldin (but with another gear). Benn still needs some work on his route running and his hands but he's a definite #1 at the next level.

eaglesalltheway
10-27-2008, 06:47 AM
Thats it, you have no credibility. That statement right there shows me you have never watched Rejus Benn. Unreal, for once i believed you had some credibility in this conversation, but you don't. Wow

Personally, both are great talents. Benn is more in the beast athlete mold, his arms are impressive and his overall body is jacked. Dez Bryant is too, but doesn't have the arms Benn has in the little I've seen of Bryant. Both look to be the top WRs next year if they choose to declare. Right now, I would take Benn, but thats just me. If the opportunity arises, I wouldn't mind pairing either with DeSean Jackson.

Quoted for emphasis.