PDA

View Full Version : Week 7 Break Down

BlindSite
10-20-2008, 12:06 AM
Though I endeavor to include all top performances and as many great plays and players each and every week, time and space means that there will be a few I miss. This is no reflection on the team or me as a fan or writer, in some cases it’s just unlucky they're not included. Enjoy.

Break out Performer
It’s hard to pick a break out performer this week as there were several dominant displays from already established players this week so, I picked one from left field.

Josh Morgan was drafted in the sixth round in what was initially considered a relatively weak wide receiver class. Morgan caught five catches for a little over 80 yards and a touchdown in the San Francisco 49ers' loss to the New York Giants. Morgan started out the year with an uphill battle to even make the depth chart but made his mark as a hard working, consistent threat in the preseason. In the past weeks he's been dependable as a third or fourth option but was able to get open early and often against the Giants and was a big reason the 49ers managed to remain competitive with the NFC East leaders.

Coaching Comments
Dick Jauron has his Bills playing wonderful football. He found the quarterback he wanted, and has built a stifling defense in Buffalo. Trent Edwards efficiency is undeniable as he's completion percentage for this season is a high 69% and his overall quarterback rating a brilliant 98.8. In just his second year Edwards has established a connection with Lee Evans, who in his own right is beginning to come into his own as a top tier NFL receiver. More than anything though Jauron has his team playing the most dangerous brand of football, balanced. The passing and rushing attacks complement each other brilliantly and the defence has been playing well enough to keep the team competitive and win all but one game this season, not much can be said about the special teams other than using the phrase top five in the NFL. Jauron has the Bills playing as the class of the AFC East, and a likely contender for the playoffs. With the AFC West having a weak showing Jauron's Bills along with the Titans and the Steelers seem like the most legitimate contenders in the conference. Jauron is to be commended for his efforts.

Something stinks down in Dallas. For the past couple of weeks I’ve been a little critical of Jason Garrett’s offensive game plans. Its appeared too often that instead of playing smart football and putting together a balanced effective attack he’s been trying too hard to force explosion. Whether or not he’s under pressure from Jones is another matter, but Garrett this week wasn’t exactly stellar in putting together a plan to aid an old back up at QB. Wade Philips defence isn’t playing good football either and though DeMarcus Ware is starting to make some noise for the DPOTY award the Cowboys don’t seem to know how to play middle of the pack football. This might sound a little odd, but having a superstar almost “fantasy draft” roster could possibly lead to the coaches not game planning solidly and not being able to deal with early adversity which we’ve now seen in the game against Washington, Arizona and now St Louis.

Jim Haslett should be immediately extended and named the future of the St Louis franchise. In the last two weeks Haslett has lead his team to victories over two very strong NFC East units. Haslett has the team gelling together and rallying from the pit of disarray the team was in to the team we expected to see in the offseason. Haslett never really had a team in New Orleans and certainly never had the quarterback, running back and defence (as bad as it is) he does in St Louis. He might finally be in a situation to become a good NFL coach.

QB Watch
JaMarcus Russell hasn't exactly been stealing headlines for his brilliance as a passer in Oakland but it appears he's beginning to find his way to being an effective NFL player. While the Oakland defense stepped up big time today against the New York Jets Russell was effective and did everything he was able to put his team in position to win games. While he still holds the ball too long and is in danger of becoming a dinky dunky player he has shown some flashes of the ability that lead to him being drafted first overall. His 43 yards in the overtime drive were the difference and lead to the massive field goal from Janikowski.

Derek Anderson had a resurgent game last week on Monday night but he already appears to be falling back into his old habits. Anderson is simply not accurate enough to be an effective starter, even when he has a strong game statistically his passes are caught largely due to the brilliance of his receivers more than his skill as a pocket passer. While his size and his ability to run make him an interesting prospect, Brady Quinn deserves a shot and with the Browns record sitting at a lowly 2 and 4, in the AFC another two or three losses will realistically shut the door for the Browns season. While with the receiving corp injured Quinn won't light the world on fire he'll at least give the fans and the coaching staff a chance to see how their future performs on the field and at the very least, give Quinn some valuable experience.

Homer Corner
The NFC South is difficult to pick week to week and the division is emerging as one of the strongest and most competitive in the NFL. With the Falcons, Panthers and the Buccs all having winning records and all beating up on each other week in and out its difficult to pick a clear front runner. The Panthers defense is playing inspired football and as predicted Julius Peppers is ramping up his play as his stat line of a forced fumble and sack don't lend justice to his brilliant performance today.

John Fox and the team seem to need a game every quarter of the season that smacks the team upside the head and forces them to focus and play hard. Tampa provided that last week when they dominated the Panthers in every facet of the game. New Orleans had no answer to the Panthers play either offensively or defensively and it appears that the defense is emerging as the best in the NFC.

Should the Panthers win their upcoming game against Arizona they'll be six and two heading into their bye week before facing, Oakland, Detroit and then Atlanta three teams the Panthers seem like clear cut favourites to win.

Other Stuff
It’s clear to everyone that the Seattle Seahawks are playing terrible football in the one area they should be doing well, defence. While it’s a definite possibility that having an offense incapable of staying on the field for longer than five minutes has hindered the defensive performance allowing as many points as they have in the past few weeks is terrible. The biggest issue in Seattle appears to be the pass defence. Sitting right at 28th overall in passing defence serious questions have to be raised about their coaching. Trufant and Jennings were never considered the best cornerback duo in the league, but they’re definitely not in the bottom four, and though suffering a minor injury up front the pass rushing abilities of players like Kearney and Peterson should be able to mask some nicks at the strong safety position. When you get right down to it though, having cornerbacks falling over, making mistakes in technique and blowing coverage assignments has to lead to questions about the secondary coach. Jim Mora is currently the Seahawks secondary coach and appears to be the heir to the coaching throne in Seattle, after what occurred in Atlanta with a bad team attitude, players acting like children and Mora himself acting like a baby quite often on the sideline, do Seattle fans really like the prospect of this guy taking over their team?

Not to be overly dramatic, or critical Mora was a decent head coach at a time when the NFC was literally devoid of contenders outside of the NFC South and Philadelphia, in fact for a long time it was either a team from the NFC West or the NFC South beating up the Eagles in the Championship games. Following the large downturn in the NFC Mora was fired after he failed to get a team, that was relatively talented to gel and play well. Essentially, he’s shown he wasn’t that good of a defensive coordinator in San Francisco, that he couldn’t get the job done as a head coach, and now his secondary in Seattle the last two years has ranked 19th and 28th respectively. After Atlanta fell apart with him at the helm and this was before the Dog fighting scandal, how in the hell is he going to take over from a master motivator and iron fist and hope to succeed?

Other Stuff II
Does anyone else see some similarities in the Ravens that smashed up the Giants to win their first super bowl title and the current Tennessee Titans? The Titans don’t have an elite receiver, or quarterback but they do have some brilliant legs and a brilliant offensive line keeping the amazing defense off the field. Kerry Collins has always been a good quarterback when kept upright and it was only a matter of time before he made another appearance under centre of some NFL team somewhere but I doubt anyone thought he’d be this good. While he’s not exactly fighting Breesus for the MVP award, or putting up the gaudy numbers of the ageless wonders in Favre and Warner he’s doing exactly what Fisher would want. Keeping the ball safe and not screwing up the hand offs to LenDale White and Chris Johnson who's performance today was nothing short of dominant. More needs to be said about the Titans defense however which is managing great things on the back of so much controversy surrounding so many of its current and former stars.

The question still begs however, what of Vince Young. While Kerry Collins isn’t playing bad football, he’s only got a quarterback rating of 78 and he’s throwing 1 for 1 TDs to INTS. Vince Young claims to be back to his happy self and expects everyone will see a new Young when he takes the field, and while I probably wouldn’t change out quarterbacks just yet, Young is an expensive and explosive if divisive benchwarmer.

CashmoneyDrew
10-20-2008, 12:33 AM
Where dem Titans at?

BlindSite
10-20-2008, 12:46 AM
For some reason not all of it got pasted, I was like WTF I had a section on them.

steelersfan43
10-20-2008, 01:04 AM
Where dem steelers at?

BlindSite
10-20-2008, 01:07 AM
Beating up on Cincinnati...

Caddy
10-20-2008, 01:51 AM
Homer Corner
The NFC South is difficult to pick week to week and the division is emerging as one of the strongest and most competitive in the NFL. With the Falcons, Panthers and the Buccs all having winning records and all beating up on each other week in and out its difficult to pick a clear front runner. The Panthers defense is playing inspired football and as predicted Julius Peppers is ramping up his play as his stat line of a forced fumble and sack don't lend justice to his brilliant performance today.

John Fox and the team seem to need a game every quarter of the season that smacks the team upside the head and forces them to focus and play hard. Tampa provided that last week when they dominated the Panthers in every facet of the game. New Orleans had no answer to the Panthers play either offensively or defensively and it appears that the defense is emerging as the best in the NFC.

1. Neither of those teams beat up on the Bucs.

2. Panthers D is not quite as good as the Bucs. Not saying its not a great unit, just not quite as strong as the Bucs.

BlindSite
10-20-2008, 02:19 AM
2. Panthers D is not quite as good as the Bucs. Not saying its not a great unit, just not quite as strong as the Bucs.

Panthers are ranked the following in defense
Rushing: 14th
Passing: 2nd
Overall: 5th

Tampa are ranked the following:
Rushing: 10th
Passing: 14th
Overall: 9th
Scoring: 7th

Carolina has more defensive touchdowns, fumbles and as many sacks Tampa has more INTs though.

If tampa's defense is better, it should be ranked higher considering the offenses its faced.

Caddy
10-20-2008, 02:34 AM
Statistics can be used to prove anything. The fact that their defense is not as statistically superior to the Panthers at the moment doesn't quite indicate either team is necessarily better.

The Houston Texans have the 5th rated Total Offense, 6th Rated Pass Offense and 12th rated Rush Offense but I would still take a handful of offenses who are statistically inferior over the Houston Texans offense.

diabsoule
10-20-2008, 02:36 AM
It's going to be a long year for the Saints.

BlindSite
10-20-2008, 05:26 AM
Statistics can be used to prove anything. The fact that their defense is not as statistically superior to the Panthers at the moment doesn't quite indicate either team is necessarily better.

Why not just write "My argument has no basis except my homeristic opinion" it would achieve the same effect.

The Unseen
10-20-2008, 08:05 AM
Why not just write "My argument has no basis except my homeristic opinion" it would achieve the same effect.

Why can't you write that, like, all the time?

PACKmanN
10-20-2008, 08:10 AM
where dem Packers at? I think its impressive holding the Colts 2 top receivers to only 4 total catches and 35 yards.

Bruce Banner
10-20-2008, 11:03 AM
Why can't you write that, like, all the time?

O snap.......

iloxygenil
10-20-2008, 11:53 AM
1. Neither of those teams beat up on the Bucs.

LMAO @ YOU. The NFC South always beats the hell out of the NFC South, win or loss, you can win by 20 you still had a hard fought physical game that leaves both teams reeling.

2.) Panthers D w/ Peppers playing up to his caliber of play is just as good as the Bucs. But I do agree that the Bucs defense is the only reason they're even moderately in contention in any game ever. That defense is just plain nasty.

Bucs are looking like the worst of the teams in the NFC South (yes I know you beat the Falcons @ RayJay, you were supposed to) but the Bucs offense needs some life shot into it to have any sort of hopes of repeating as NFC South Champs.

Now if the Saints can't get healthy, then yeah, the Bucs > the Saints, the difference in the division though is that Carolina is the best team. When you beat a team on your own turf the win doesn't mean as much as how you play on the road. The division games are designed to be split. You're supposed to protect your home turf. So far the Bucs have done their job. But nothing else.

The Panthers at full strength though offer more phases of the game at a higher level than any other team in the South imo. Offensively the Saints SHOULD be #1, but they're not, they have no run game...oh wait...Reggie Bush is hurt? They do have a run game now, with Deuce taking over. But the Panthers are #2 no question, even with Atlanta having Roddy White and Michael Turner, and Matt Ryan isn't playing like a rookie. You just can't elevate them over the RB tandem + Steve Smith playing with a Vet QB. Sure, Delhomme really is nothing more than moderate, but he's a vet, and he's a gamer. Tampa bay doesn't get any mention anywhere except...Ike Hilliard that guy is a friggin pest on 3rd downs.

Overall this division is the hardest to predict. But to say that the games inside the NFC South weren't beating up on each other is just lunacy. Scoreboard does not = what physical events transpired on the field.

tjsunstein
10-20-2008, 12:04 PM
where dem Packers at? I think its impressive holding the Colts 2 top receivers to only 4 total catches and 35 yards.

I second that. No love for Aaron Rodgers, Ryan Grant's first 100 yard game of the season, he continued success of the Packer's secondary without Al Harris.

nrk
10-20-2008, 12:15 PM
I second that. No love for Aaron Rodgers, Ryan Grant's first 100 yard game of the season, he continued success of the Packer's secondary without Al Harris.
What is it, 5 or 6 interceptions returned for TDs so far this year for the GB defense? That is just nasty.

Fck JC, He got off e.z
10-20-2008, 12:17 PM
What is it, 5 or 6 interceptions returned for TDs so far this year for the GB defense? That is just nasty.

Playmakers win championships. Green Bay has a special secondary but all the injuries to the front seven leave the defense vulnerable.

bigbluedefense
10-20-2008, 12:18 PM
What do we make out of Kyle Orton? He seems like he's getting better and better, and establishing himself as a legit game manager. I think after playing well against that Viking's D, his name deserves more mention.

Fck JC, He got off e.z
10-20-2008, 12:20 PM
What do we make out of Kyle Orton? He seems like he's getting better and better, and establishing himself as a legit game manager. I think after playing well against that Viking's D, his name deserves more mention.

He's played well especially when you consider that the Bears really lack weapons on offense. I would like to see how he plays with a receiving core that can actually make some things happen.

nrk
10-20-2008, 12:21 PM

In the next few weeks they play the Titans and Green Bay. That's going to be the test for Orton. He's playing superb, I doubt they have the success they do with Sexy Rexy. He is one reason they're a winning ball club right now.

ShutDwn
10-20-2008, 01:05 PM
LMAO @ YOU. The NFC South always beats the hell out of the NFC South, win or loss, you can win by 20 you still had a hard fought physical game that leaves both teams reeling.

2.) Panthers D w/ Peppers playing up to his caliber of play is just as good as the Bucs. But I do agree that the Bucs defense is the only reason they're even moderately in contention in any game ever. That defense is just plain nasty.

Bucs are looking like the worst of the teams in the NFC South (yes I know you beat the Falcons @ RayJay, you were supposed to) but the Bucs offense needs some life shot into it to have any sort of hopes of repeating as NFC South Champs.

Now if the Saints can't get healthy, then yeah, the Bucs > the Saints, the difference in the division though is that Carolina is the best team. When you beat a team on your own turf the win doesn't mean as much as how you play on the road. The division games are designed to be split. You're supposed to protect your home turf. So far the Bucs have done their job. But nothing else.

The Panthers at full strength though offer more phases of the game at a higher level than any other team in the South imo. Offensively the Saints SHOULD be #1, but they're not, they have no run game...oh wait...Reggie Bush is hurt? They do have a run game now, with Deuce taking over. But the Panthers are #2 no question, even with Atlanta having Roddy White and Michael Turner, and Matt Ryan isn't playing like a rookie. You just can't elevate them over the RB tandem + Steve Smith playing with a Vet QB. Sure, Delhomme really is nothing more than moderate, but he's a vet, and he's a gamer. Tampa bay doesn't get any mention anywhere except...Ike Hilliard that guy is a friggin pest on 3rd downs.

Overall this division is the hardest to predict. But to say that the games inside the NFC South weren't beating up on each other is just lunacy. Scoreboard does not = what physical events transpired on the field.

It is just a matter of putting it all together for the Panthers. If the Bucs keep playing like they have they will be labeled the most consistent in the South I believe.

tjsunstein
10-20-2008, 01:19 PM

5. The loss of Cullen Jenkins and AJ Hawk's injury is showing in our run D.

Babylon
10-20-2008, 01:38 PM
Jim Mora is the next Seattle coach not a question about that. Ironically a lot of Seattleites wanted him to coach the Huskies (where he played), a position he pretty much was lobbying for when we was still coaching the Falcons.

iowatreat54
10-20-2008, 01:55 PM
It is just a matter of putting it all together for the Panthers. If the Bucs keep playing like they have they will be labeled the most consistent in the South I believe.

consistency and the NFC south do not go together (over time, not talking within a specific year)

the Falcons are looking to continue the 32985 year trend of going from last place to division champion

Menardo75
10-20-2008, 02:04 PM
Yeah some Josh Morgan love. You all remember that name now :)

iloxygenil
10-20-2008, 02:13 PM

You have to give it up for that secondary. Who cares if it was because Reggie Wayne was tipping the ball to them. They were draped all over the WRs all day long. Didn't look anything like the Falcons game, is Roddy White THAT much better than Reggie Wayne? Judging by 1 game (which is no basis) yes, but obviously that defensive backfield was all over the Colts WRs. Problem I saw was a LOT of pass interference and illegal contact NOT called against you guys. If that game wasn't @ Lambeau that great coverage would have been called PI and would have broken the back of your defense at some point. But you guys made Peyton force things and he did, a few times trying to get calls, which ended up really bad for him.

I'd give Atlanta's 2nd rounder for Nick Collins in a heart beat right now. I would have last year too. I love how that kid plays...for that matter I was calling for Atlanta to draft Rouse to put behind Lawyer...man how perfect would that be now? lol. Oh well.

Grant and your offensive line were impressive against the smaller DL of the Colts, so that discounts the 100 yard rushing game because the Colts are going to give that up a lot. But he was running hard and getting a full head of steam. That fumble early on should have killed you guys, I'm not sure how the Colts didn't come away with that football, bad play by them, but Grant is up to his old tricks.

iloxygenil
10-20-2008, 02:14 PM
consistency and the NFC south do not go together (over time, not talking within a specific year)

the Falcons are looking to continue the 32985 year trend of going from last place to division champion

Lol no doubt but who saw that coming this year?

Plus with this season so far from over, I don't see how the Falcons w/ their remaining schedule (its brutal) can out last the Panthers this year. I love the birds, but I just don't see it yet. Now if they somehow pull one out @ Philly and then beat Oakland @ Oakland...wow. But Philly will knock Atlanta down this week I'm afraid. With Westbrook healthy, he's going to be a nightmare.

RCAChainGang
10-20-2008, 02:20 PM
It's going to be a long year for the Saints.

Was thinking the same man.

Usually the colts cheer me up, but...... yeah

TitleTown088
10-20-2008, 02:23 PM
No disrespect to Orton, but most QBs play well vs the Vikings secondary. It's the chink in the armor. Has been for years now.

iloxygenil
10-20-2008, 02:27 PM
No disrespect to Orton, but most QBs play well vs the Vikings secondary. It's the chink in the armor. Has been for years now.

Orton has looked good. His arm is now at the pro level where he was floating stuff too much, now he can really put his arm into it and he looks like he belongs out there. He's a good decision maker from the QB position, and now he's had some time to mature. Maybe this isn't his year, but then again who do the Bears have at WR making him look good? The few games I've seen of his to this point just shows that he's got the potential to be a SB caliber QB imo. Chicago doesn't need a playmaker QB, they need a game manager who can get the ball down field to keep defenses honest. Well...meet Kyle Orton.

TitleTown088
10-20-2008, 02:27 PM
Didn't look anything like the Falcons game, is Roddy White THAT much better than Reggie Wayne? .
Roddy white isn't better than Reggie Wayne at all.Roddy just happened to have a better game and Roddy had some good and some very fortunate plays vs GB.

TitleTown088
10-20-2008, 02:29 PM
Orton has looked good. His arm is now at the pro level where he was floating stuff too much, now he can really put his arm into it and he looks like he belongs out there. He's a good decision maker from the QB position, and now he's had some time to mature. Maybe this isn't his year, but then again who do the Bears have at WR making him look good? The few games I've seen of his to this point just shows that he's got the potential to be a SB caliber QB imo. Chicago doesn't need a playmaker QB, they need a game manager who can get the ball down field to keep defenses honest. Well...meet Kyle Orton.

I took nothing away from Orton in my post. Just pointed out Minny's pass defense hasn't been good for a long time, most do have big games Vs them. Why run on them when you can pass all day?

iloxygenil
10-20-2008, 02:36 PM
Roddy white isn't better than Reggie Wayne at all.Roddy just happened to have a better game and Roddy had some good and some very fortunate plays vs GB.

Roddy White is getting respect everywhere, except here...that's fine. Not worried he'll do it again, he has an ability to separate from CBs like very VERY few in the NFL have. It's not just speed, it's something about how he put Woodson on his hind quarters when he sold the double move on him. Call it the turf call it what you want, Roddy just made him look foolish. Roddy is good, discount him all you want, he had whatever he wanted all day long against the amazing Green Bay secondary. Who is a very good secondary.

So knock him if you want, it's not fortune when you've been doing it to everyone in the NFL for more than a year now. 1200+ yards with WHO as a QB? So far this year on pace for 1500+ yards with a ROOKIE QB, and a team that is a run first offense...and being the only threat in the passing game...he's getting doubled and he's beating it.

As far as knocking Orton, I didn't say you were, just was making a point that he's looking great (much to my surprise I wasn't sure he'd get the chance) And yes, that Vikings Secondary makes Atlanta's look decent.

iowatreat54
10-20-2008, 02:39 PM
I took nothing away from Orton in my post. Just pointed out Minny's pass defense hasn't been good for a long time, most do have big games Vs them. Why run on them when you can pass all day?

I agree, while he has looked really good lately although vs. teams like the Vikings secondary and Lions entire D, Orton has looked light years better than he did 3 years ago or even in random starts since then...he actually makes me not want to stab my eardrums out when talking about Bears QB

TitleTown088
10-20-2008, 02:48 PM
Roddy White is getting respect everywhere, except here...that's fine. Not worried he'll do it again, he has an ability to separate from CBs like very VERY few in the NFL have. It's not just speed, it's something about how he put Woodson on his hind quarters when he sold the double move on him. Call it the turf call it what you want, Roddy just made him look foolish. Roddy is good, discount him all you want, he had whatever he wanted all day long against the amazing Green Bay secondary. Who is a very good secondary. Woody tripped over Roddy's damn feet. I don't really care anyways, it was one play.
Roddy did have a good day vs the Green bay secondary, LIKE I JUST SAID. But the Green Bay secondary also had a bad day. That long ball he caught was blatantly a blown coverage, along with a a couple others if I recall correctly. I Never discounted Roddy- he's good. I'm just not ready to anoint him Jerry Rice.

1200+ yards with WHO as a QB? Dan Marino/Tom Brady hybrid according to many Falcon fans.

So far this year on pace for 1500+ yards with a ROOKIE QB, and a team that is a run first offense...and being the only threat in the passing game...he's getting doubled and he's beating it. Cool. No one said he wasn't a good player, but let me know when he tears the league for a number of consecutive years like Wayne. He's not a better receiver than Wayne.

Geo
10-20-2008, 02:59 PM
Re: Orton, I think the Bears should definitely re-sign him. He looks good.

Gay Ork Wang
10-20-2008, 03:00 PM
he might be our QB for a couple of years

iloxygenil
10-20-2008, 03:02 PM
Woody tripped over Roddy's damn feet. I don't really care anyways, it was one play.
Roddy did have a good day vs the Green bay secondary, LIKE I JUST SAID. But the Green Bay secondary also had a bad day. That long ball he caught was blatantly a blown coverage, along with a a couple others if I recall correctly. I Never discounted Roddy- he's good. I'm just not ready to anoint him Jerry Rice.

Dan Marino/Tom Brady hybrid according to many Falcon fans.

Cool. No one said he wasn't a good player, but let me know when he tears the league for a number of consecutive years like Wayne. He's not a better receiver than Wayne.

I didn't say he was...read the original post...I said if you were drawing conclusions from 1 game (which you shouldn't do)...so go check that out.

If you call 8 catches for 132 'one play' then you're right he did only have 1 good play. His long was only 37...first play of the game...where Woodson 'tripped' okay, Roddy's feet didn't studder, when people get feet tangled both players feel the effects.

As far as Marino/Brady goes...uh...JOEY HARRINGTON...who ever said he was close to that? Byron 'windup' Leftwich...who said that...Chris Redman...by far the best QB on the Falcons last year and looked as if he'd be the starter this year until Matt Ryan decided that he wanted to play football and not be a typical rookie. So...I'm not sure what you're talking about...but no one...no Falcons fan that I know of ever said that Harrington (the starter for MOST of the year) or Leftwich or Redman were Marino...

I would like to see Redman play behind the line that Brady did though...those would be fun numbers to compare. Not because Redman is that good, but because Brady isn't God's gift to football as many people believe. In my opinion anyway, I'm not a big Brady fan, never have been, unlikely that I ever will be. Just like I think Barry Sanders is the best RB in NFL history, I don't think Smith would have ended with 1/2 the yards Barry did in the same situation. I know it's a team game, but when you're picking apart individual performances, it's virtually impossible, because you're not comparing on equal grounds.

Bruce Banner
10-20-2008, 03:03 PM
Quit Falcon mongering. It's annoying as ****.

No offense, really.

We all know Roddy White is good and Matt Ryan is well on his way to being elite but you don't have to explain why.

iloxygenil
10-20-2008, 03:05 PM

Is this not an open forum to debate the topic at hand? Who is 'mongering' and do you even know what that means? I'm sorry to annoy you, but I have a right as much as anyone else here to defend their point of view...

Chucky
10-20-2008, 03:05 PM

QFT. It gets very annoying.

Bruce Banner
10-20-2008, 03:06 PM
Is this not an open forum to debate the topic at hand? Who is 'mongering' and do you even know what that means? I'm sorry to annoy you, but I have a right as much as anyone else here to defend their point of view...

Look again....

Chucky
10-20-2008, 03:08 PM

In a week 7 breakdown, you won't shut up about the Falcons even though they were on their bye.

Gay Ork Wang
10-20-2008, 03:32 PM
In a week 7 breakdown, you won't shut up about the Falcons even though they were on their bye.
HE IS ONLY GIVING US FACTZZZZZZ!!!!!!1111 AND HE IS IN AN OPEN FORUMZZZZZZ!!!!!

that are his arguments. always.

iloxygenil
10-20-2008, 03:48 PM
HE IS ONLY GIVING US FACTZZZZZZ!!!!!!1111 AND HE IS IN AN OPEN FORUMZZZZZZ!!!!!

that are his arguments. always.

Bears ST will own the Falcons ST...oh wait...Devin Hes...oh wait...

Until you can prove something I say wrong, throw your tantrums elsewhere. This is the NFL forum, so if I recall the Falcons are part of the NFL. The debate long since deviated from a week 7 thread, I merely followed the trail. I'll leave it be at this point, but it's posts like this that make me want to just make it all that much more of an issue.

Gay Ork Wang
10-20-2008, 03:53 PM
Bears ST will own the Falcons ST...oh wait...Devin Hes...oh wait...

Until you can prove something I say wrong, throw your tantrums elsewhere. This is the NFL forum, so if I recall the Falcons are part of the NFL. The debate long since deviated from a week 7 thread, I merely followed the trail. I'll leave it be at this point, but it's posts like this that make me want to just make it all that much more of an issue.
U said the Falcons ST is better than the Bears ST on paper
u said the Bears are worse than the Falcons on paper
u said Michael Turner is going to destroy the bears
u said u are equal in the game and the bears are by no means the favorite
and it took them a miracle play to win it

BlindSite
10-20-2008, 04:23 PM

I gave him props the other week. I wholeheartedly agree though, he's playing some amazing football for where he came from.

diabsoule
10-20-2008, 04:24 PM
Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Stop hi-jacking threads, and this goes to everyone who feels it's their goal in life to provide a rebuttal to everything someone posts on here. Iloxygenil is entitled to the same thoughts as everyone else. Stop bashing him for sharing them.

If you guys feel so strongly about what he posts then don't read it. It's that easy.

And as a side note, I could probably give everyone an infraction based on personal attacks or trolling.

iloxygenil
10-20-2008, 04:27 PM
Forget it...

tjsunstein
10-20-2008, 04:49 PM
You have to give it up for that secondary. Who cares if it was because Reggie Wayne was tipping the ball to them. They were draped all over the WRs all day long. Didn't look anything like the Falcons game, is Roddy White THAT much better than Reggie Wayne? Judging by 1 game (which is no basis) yes, but obviously that defensive backfield was all over the Colts WRs. Problem I saw was a LOT of pass interference and illegal contact NOT called against you guys. If that game wasn't @ Lambeau that great coverage would have been called PI and would have broken the back of your defense at some point. But you guys made Peyton force things and he did, a few times trying to get calls, which ended up really bad for him.

I'd give Atlanta's 2nd rounder for Nick Collins in a heart beat right now. I would have last year too. I love how that kid plays...for that matter I was calling for Atlanta to draft Rouse to put behind Lawyer...man how perfect would that be now? lol. Oh well.

Grant and your offensive line were impressive against the smaller DL of the Colts, so that discounts the 100 yard rushing game because the Colts are going to give that up a lot. But he was running hard and getting a full head of steam. That fumble early on should have killed you guys, I'm not sure how the Colts didn't come away with that football, bad play by them, but Grant is up to his old tricks.

I dont even know where to start. I'll go in order actually. Roddy White is impressing me and I have been anti-him for some reason. I never really liked the kid but I do respect his skills and what he's doing in Atlanta. I always thought he was more of the reciever whose stats are inflated by a "Galloway play" aka a deep pass every game even if it means throwing four incompletions for that. He's proving consistency and making defenses back away from the line of scrimmage to give Turner a more open space. I dont think its our home field advantage that gave us some no calls. Its on the staff officiating. Ive seen games that we were on the road and the refs let us play our game, which is a physical bump and run. Our linebackers will tag you coming on a route across the middle if the CB covering that WR is behind a step. Its more of how physical the refs let the game be, and sometimes it works against the Packers.

Im especially happy about the way our safeties have been playing. Rouse has filled in for Bigby, should be interesting to see what happens in the offseason with him, very nicely and has been coming into his own. Collins on the other hand was a great steal by Ted Thompson. A small school product that is finally becoming comfortable. It would be nice if the secondary as a whole could sure up their tackling though.

As much as the Colts D struggles against the run this game is a boast of confidence for Grant. I hope that he continues his one cut and run technique that he was praised for last season. He did it alot this game, although on averaging 3 yards a carry, but he seemed to dance around more earlier in the year and miss some holes. Is this the start of his 2nd half explosion? We'll see.

Sorry for the long post, alot to be said.

Caddy
10-20-2008, 04:58 PM

I guess this means you haven't watched either of the Buccaneers last two games because the offense has been on fire.

BlindSite
10-20-2008, 07:09 PM
The offense has been ok, your team managed to produce 21 points because Steve Smith, Mushin Muhummad and one blocker made stupid decisions.

Not to take away from the team's performance against Carolina, but that was the worst game the Panthers have played all season, with a banged up offensive line and an understrength defensive line. Yes you won, but your offense isn't going to scare anyone.

Even after its performance against seattle.

ShutDwn
10-20-2008, 07:10 PM
I guess this means you haven't watched either of the Buccaneers last two games because the offense has been on fire.

I'd say they were efficient, but hardly on fire.

Bruce Banner
10-20-2008, 07:36 PM
I'd say they were efficient, but hardly on fire.

You must understand.

Whenever a Gruden driven offense is efficient, it can be considered on fire.....Boy blunder is that bad......At least he's got his ego under some control......We can only hope the play calling follows.

Caddy
10-20-2008, 08:08 PM
The offense has been ok, your team managed to produce 21 points because Steve Smith, Mushin Muhummad and one blocker made stupid decisions.

Not to take away from the team's performance against Carolina, but that was the worst game the Panthers have played all season, with a banged up offensive line and an understrength defensive line. Yes you won, but your offense isn't going to scare anyone.

Even after its performance against seattle.

It doesn't need to scare anyone. It just needs to control the clock (which it can do) and not turnover the ball (which with Garcia it does). The defense can usually do the rest.

BlindSite
10-21-2008, 12:28 AM
Then its not on fire, but merely a little warm.

Caddy
10-21-2008, 01:28 AM
Then its not on fire, but merely a little warm.

Relatively speaking it is on fire. Garcia is an incredible upgrade over Brian "I love throwing picks and fumbling the ball" Griese.

BlindSite
10-21-2008, 04:28 PM
Garcia relies a lot on that middle being open, facing a good 34 D will be interesting to see this week. See how he does when he doesn't have a clean pocket.

CC.SD
10-21-2008, 04:31 PM
Everyone knows the Falcons will win the NFC South, just like everyone knows the cubs will lose in the playoffs whenever they get in. History doesn't lie.