PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one?

naruto613
10-20-2008, 12:50 AM
Am I the only one that thinks that Mark Sanchez is overrated?

Sanchez is only doing well because he plays on an All-Star team. His arm strength is mediocre at best, he seems afraid to throw the deep ball, and he just showed up this year!

Is this guy legit? I can't see it.

eaglesalltheway
10-20-2008, 07:04 AM
I'm sure your not the only one, but personally I would disagree with you. He isn't a superstar in the making IMO, but I think he could be a good QB in the NFL. He has good arm strength, very good mobility, and he has all of those "it" factors like leadership and drive and intelligence that make for a succesful QB.

naruto613
10-20-2008, 11:18 AM
See, all of the leadership qualities he has, I just seem him as anther Trojan quarterback. Arguably, Leinart and Palmer were both "leaders" because the teams they played for, competed for a National Championship every year. Sanchez just seems like a big phony to me, I'd rather take a "leader" like Tebow before Sanchez.

Babylon
10-20-2008, 11:25 AM
See, all of the leadership qualities he has, I just seem him as anther Trojan quarterback. Arguably, Leinart and Palmer were both "leaders" because the teams they played for, competed for a National Championship every year. Sanchez just seems like a big phony to me, I'd rather take a "leader" like Tebow before Sanchez.

Sanchez is in his 4th year there at SC so he didnt just show up, He seems to be able to make all the throws either in the pocket or on the move and he is not afraid to fire up his teammates. On the negative side he hasnt had a lot of starts there and has battled a lingering knee problem since the beginning of the season. To me he passes the leadership test as do most of the top guys mentioned at the QB position.

Bruce Banner
10-20-2008, 11:27 AM
I'm starting to buy into what Sanchez is selling. His arm strength is pretty good, nowhere near elite, but pretty good. Shows decent zip on out routes and intermediate throws. He throws a good long ball but he has to crowhop that **** to get it there.

Smart guy......has the intangibles.....a better prospect than Leinart?

FuzzyGopher
10-20-2008, 11:44 AM
He has good ball placement as well. He always hits his receivers in stride and allows them to run after the catch. He is also really good at throwing on the run.

Staubach12
10-20-2008, 12:04 PM
I don't thiunk he's the prospect Leinart was, and I still think Leinart has a bright future (I'm one of those lingering few); however, Sanchez is a good prospect in his own right. He's going to be a first round pick most likely, and I can see him being an above average QB but I think he needs some work and development.

princefielder28
10-20-2008, 12:21 PM
I don't thiunk he's the prospect Leinart was, and I still think Leinart has a bright future (I'm one of those lingering few); however, Sanchez is a good prospect in his own right. He's going to be a first round pick most likely, and I can see him being an above average QB but I think he needs some work and development.

I agree with Leinart still having a bright future in the league, but I am not totally buying what Sanchez has. He's a product of a great team and being a highly touted recruit. I believe he's got 3rd-4th round potential but he doesn't want the billing that some have given him already.

SuperKevin
10-20-2008, 12:40 PM
I like Sanchez a lot in this draft should he declare because he seems to be the only guy who's playing under center. He's probably the only guy who can come in and start from day 1. He may not have the ceiling of some of these other guys but I think you have a lot less of a risk when drafting him.

Babylon
10-20-2008, 01:20 PM
I agree with Leinart still having a bright future in the league, but I am not totally buying what Sanchez has. He's a product of a great team and being a highly touted recruit. I believe he's got 3rd-4th round potential but he doesn't want the billing that some have given him already.

Aren't all the top QBs the product of being in a certain system and being on good teams? Whether you like Sanchez or not their system at SC is probably the most pro like as far as the evaluation process is concerned.

P-L
10-20-2008, 02:29 PM
I think Sanchez is legit. His arm strength isn't great like JaMarcus Russell or Jay Cutler, but it's good enough to be successful in the NFL. He's certainly capable of making all the throws NFL teams require.

MetSox17
10-20-2008, 02:44 PM
I think Sanchez is legit. His arm strength isn't great like JaMarcus Russell or Jay Cutler, but it's good enough to be successful in the NFL. He's certainly capable of making all the throws NFL teams require.

He's not Russell, but he's not Philip Rivers either. He's somewhere between Tom Brady and Tony Romo.

princefielder28
10-20-2008, 02:54 PM
Aren't all the top QBs the product of being in a certain system and being on good teams? Whether you like Sanchez or not their system at SC is probably the most pro like as far as the evaluation process is concerned.

To a certain extent....Sam Bradford's presence benefits the team more than the teams benefits Sam Bradford; Sanchez's/USC's balance is much more centered

ThePudge
10-20-2008, 03:08 PM
I personally like Sanchez a lot. You say he's the product of an elite team, but by that logic John David Booty should have produced like a first round pick. His offensive line is young, his running game helps him out a lot but still is largely unproven, and his wide receivers did nothing before him. For example, Patrick Turner has already equaled his Td total from the past two years combined.

He is on pace (per ESPN) to throw for over 3000 yards, 38 Touchdowns and 12 Int's. His 9.04 YPA is impressive, good for 9th in the country. His 19 Td's thus far are also good for 9th in the country. His 171.56 rating is good for 7th in the land.

Comparatively, Booty threw 23 Td's and 10 Int's last year to go along with 2361 yds and a 6.9 YPA. His rating was 138.01.... Now, Booty had great talent around him as well. He did not make the best of it. Sanchez is doing everything you could ask of him this season. He's also playing behind a younger, inexperienced line that lost four starters to the 2008 NFL Draft.

His mental makeup, physcial makeup, and production is far above Booty's, who was a 4th Round pick in 2008. Sanchez has been a favorite of Pete Carroll's for a long time and it's easy to see why. He's a good Quarterback and has the tools to be a very good pro.

I am a big fan of Sanchez as a pro prospect. Right now it's looking like...

1. Sam Bradford*
2. Mark Sanchez*
3. Matthew Stafford*

I think each could be a Top 10 pick, which would give teams like Detroit, Kansas City, and even Seattle something to cheer about.

There's a lot of football to be played still and there's no guarantee that any of those three declare this year. For those of you that say I'm crazy for Sanchez over Stafford, I'm sorry but I need to see more from him. I need to see Matthew Stafford win his team a game with his arm maybe against LSU or Auburn. He has the top physical ability, but I'm waiting for his production and decision making to reflect those tools. Those rankings are subject to change in a big way... It's simply the way I feel right now.

Babylon
10-20-2008, 04:00 PM
I personally like Sanchez a lot. You say he's the product of an elite team, but by that logic John David Booty should have produced like a first round pick. His offensive line is young, his running game helps him out a lot but still is largely unproven, and his wide receivers did nothing before him. For example, Patrick Turner has already equaled his Td total from the past two years combined.

He is on pace (per ESPN) to throw for over 3000 yards, 38 Touchdowns and 12 Int's. His 9.04 YPA is impressive, good for 9th in the country. His 19 Td's thus far are also good for 9th in the country. His 171.56 rating is good for 7th in the land.

Comparatively, Booty threw 23 Td's and 10 Int's last year to go along with 2361 yds and a 6.9 YPA. His rating was 138.01.... Now, Booty had great talent around him as well. He did not make the best of it. Sanchez is doing everything you could ask of him this season. He's also playing behind a younger, inexperienced line that lost four starters to the 2008 NFL Draft.

His mental makeup, physcial makeup, and production is far above Booty's, who was a 4th Round pick in 2008. Sanchez has been a favorite of Pete Carroll's for a long time and it's easy to see why. He's a good Quarterback and has the tools to be a very good pro.

I am a big fan of Sanchez as a pro prospect. Right now it's looking like...

1. Sam Bradford*
2. Mark Sanchez*
3. Matthew Stafford*

I think each could be a Top 10 pick, which would give teams like Detroit, Kansas City, and even Seattle something to cheer about.

There's a lot of football to be played still and there's no guarantee that any of those three declare this year. For those of you that say I'm crazy for Sanchez over Stafford, I'm sorry but I need to see more from him. I need to see Matthew Stafford win his team a game with his arm maybe against LSU or Auburn. He has the top physical ability, but I'm waiting for his production and decision making to reflect those tools. Those rankings are subject to change in a big way... It's simply the way I feel right now.

I dont think a team could go wrong with any of these guys and we just might see all 3 declaring for various reasons. I think Bradford and Sanchez really benefit from being around offensive jugernauts while Stafford is somewhat limited by those either in front of him or those on the receiving end. He to me would have the major upside while the others are going to be really good but maybe not super. Like you it's just a gut feeling right now and things could change.

ThePudge
10-20-2008, 04:05 PM
I dont think a team could go wrong with any of these guys and we just might see all 3 declaring for various reasons. I think Bradford and Sanchez really benefit from being around offensive jugernauts while Stafford is somewhat limited by those either in front of him or those on the receiving end. He to me would have the major upside while the others are going to be really good but maybe not super. Like you it's just a gut feeling right now and things could change.

Right now I think it comes down to what you prefer and systematic fit. I think they all have similar upside, but it's really up to how they are used for them to achieve that potential. Stafford will draw comparisons to Jay Cutler, who many on this board loved. In terms of arm strength he is best, but Sanchez and Bradford can both make all the throws as well and are more cerebral at this point. As I said, we'll see. It will be very interesting

Babylon
10-20-2008, 04:15 PM
Right now I think it comes down to what you prefer and systematic fit. I think they all have similar upside, but it's really up to how they are used for them to achieve that potential. Stafford will draw comparisons to Jay Cutler, who many on this board loved. In terms of arm strength he is best, but Sanchez and Bradford can both make all the throws as well and are more cerebral at this point. As I said, we'll see. It will be very interesting

We always are tempted to only think in the present but these 3 are to me the best trio to come out in quite a few years, far superior overall to Vince, Leinart and Cutler.

princefielder28
10-20-2008, 04:26 PM
Top eiligible underclassmen QBs

1. Sam Bradford :: Oklahoma
2. Matthew Stafford :: Georgia
3. Tim Tebow :: Florida
4. Nate Davis :: Ball State
5. Colt McCoy :: Texas
6. Mark Sanchez :: USC
7. Dan LeFevour :: Central Michigan
8. Josh Freeman :: Kansas State

Babylon
10-20-2008, 04:49 PM

Technically Jake Locker is eligible too. The one guy on that list that most of us cant get a read on i think is Tim Tebow.

ThePudge
10-20-2008, 04:49 PM

I'm going to have to hear the reasoning for Tebow and Colt McCoy over Sanchez as NFL prospects. It's hard to argue Nate Davis at this point, as he's having a terrific year for Ball State and has the tools to be a good QB at the pro level. However, I think Tebow's system-specific play and McCoy's physical limitations will hold them back. I just want to hear your reasoning for those two and against Sanchez.

illmatic74
10-20-2008, 05:13 PM
1. Sam Bradford
2. Matthew Stafford
3. Mark Sanchez
4. Josh Freeman
5. Tim Tebow
6. Zac Robinson
7. Nate Davis
8. Juice Williams
9. Colt McCoy
10. Dan Lefevour

princefielder28
10-20-2008, 05:39 PM
I'm going to have to hear the reasoning for Tebow and Colt McCoy over Sanchez as NFL prospects. It's hard to argue Nate Davis at this point, as he's having a terrific year for Ball State and has the tools to be a good QB at the pro level. However, I think Tebow's system-specific play and McCoy's physical limitations will hold them back. I just want to hear your reasoning for those two and against Sanchez.

With Tim Tebow, either you think he can or he can't and I am one who believes he can be a very effective player at the next level. Right now Colt McCoy is showing all of his abilities and while he may not have the best attributes, he reminds me alot of Jeff Garcia with his ability to get the ball to his wideouts and make plays on his feet when necessary. I don't mind Sanchez as a prospect, and he is probably one of the few that can step in and play right away, but his ceiling is low, IMO.

P-L
10-20-2008, 06:44 PM
Technically Jake Locker is eligible too. The one guy on that list that most of us cant get a read on i think is Tim Tebow.
Jake Locker definitely has yet to show he is an NFL quarterback. Guy has shown promise, but he needs to put it together. Playing in Washington isn't really helping his cause, but if he came out after this year he wouldn't get drafted in my opinion.

MetSox17
10-20-2008, 06:49 PM
With Tim Tebow, either you think he can or he can't and I am one who believes he can be a very effective player at the next level. Right now Colt McCoy is showing all of his abilities and while he may not have the best attributes, he reminds me alot of Jeff Garcia with his ability to get the ball to his wideouts and make plays on his feet when necessary. I don't mind Sanchez as a prospect, and he is probably one of the few that can step in and play right away, but his ceiling is low, IMO.

This is a little baffling to me. How do you find his ceiling low? He has no physical limitations, and he's playing in the most NFL-like offense in all of college football. He has shown he can make every single NFL throw, and he has a little wiggle in the pocket as well. I'm confused here.

I like your Colt McCoy to Jeff Garcia comparison though.

Babylon
10-20-2008, 06:57 PM
Jake Locker definitely has yet to show he is an NFL quarterback. Guy has shown promise, but he needs to put it together. Playing in Washington isn't really helping his cause, but if he came out after this year he wouldn't get drafted in my opinion.

I was merely pointing out that he is draft eligible although he wont be entering the draft. Personally i think he could get drafted to play safety if for some reason he didnt work out as a QB. I do agree he needs a lot of work as a thrower but as an athlete there arent many 6-3 230lb QBs with 4.5 speed.

STARHEATHER
10-21-2008, 08:06 PM
no there are many people that know hes terrible. not just overrated. this dudes not going to win football games in the nfl and in all likelihood he may not even make it through one. dude rarely even gets hit and he has injury after injury.

Bob Sacamano
10-21-2008, 08:20 PM
Leinart probably f'd it up for him

mid-round prospect at best IMO and not because of Leinart, he just doesn't stand out

soybean
11-01-2008, 09:05 PM
even as a USC fan i was always critical of sanchez. I thought he was a gunslinger that made bad decisions but watching his pump fake then throw to patrick turner today, it doesn't get any prettier than that.

how many college qbs take advantage of the pump fake anyways?

i think he's a step above the rest.

Babylon
11-01-2008, 09:16 PM
even as a USC fan i was always critical of sanchez. I thought he was a gunslinger that made bad decisions but watching his pump fake then throw to patrick turner today, it doesn't get any prettier than that.

I'm not going to argue his merits because i like Mark but for god sake man they are playing little leaguers when they are up against the Washingtons and Wash states of the world/

soybean
11-01-2008, 09:30 PM
I'm not going to argue his merits because i like Mark but for god sake man they are playing little leaguers when they are up against the Washingtons and Wash states of the world/

yeah but im not talking about the score, im talking about his technique which has nothing to do with who they played against.

his ball is a thing of beauty.

Race for the Heisman
11-02-2008, 01:36 PM

Sean Glennon had one of the prettiest ones I've ever seen against BC last year. He got Jamie Silva (NFL prospect) to bite and then threw a post to Royal, I think. Dirty.

Stafford does pretty good with them as well.

Smokey Joe
11-02-2008, 04:25 PM

It wasn't the pump fake that got Turner open, it was Turner and the other receiver selling the bubble screen that got the corner to bite. Nothing against Sanchez since I am a fan of his, but it doesn't take much of a pump fake for that play.

FuzzyGopher
11-02-2008, 04:32 PM
I still think Sanchez is underrated, maybe it's because of Leinart but I think he will be fine in the NFL.

Zyro_1014
11-02-2008, 04:52 PM
no there are many people that know hes terrible. not just overrated. this dudes not going to win football games in the nfl and in all likelihood he may not even make it through one. dude rarely even gets hit and he has injury after injury.

dude do you honestly have any idea what you are talking about? has he sat out a game this year?

....no he has not!

holt_bruce81
11-02-2008, 05:17 PM
He's not at the Leinart/Palmer level as for as prospects go, but he's better than JDB.

Iamcanadian
11-02-2008, 09:25 PM
He is far from overrated. It is only his 1st year as a starter and the biggest knock on him is his injuries. I seriously doubt he declares and when he comes out as an experienced senior, he has a legitimate shot at going #1 overall in the draft. He get a good challenge from other junior QB's who will return and come out as seniors but he will be right there with them.

Mr. Stiller
11-03-2008, 02:12 AM
For those Ranking Underclassmen QB's.. Rusty Smith of FAU has to be on there somewhere.

Probably in the 6-8 Range IMO. Crappy Team, but He's got really good potential.

SenorGato
11-03-2008, 03:51 AM
Sanchez is fine as a prospect.

I like Claussen better the further we go into this season. But I still Sanchez will be a fine NFL prospect.

If Stafford and Bradford stay, I'd say next year has the potential to be one of the best QB classes we've seen in a while...better than '06's potential even.

Babylon
11-03-2008, 10:55 AM
Sanchez is fine as a prospect.

I like Claussen better the further we go into this season. But I still Sanchez will be a fine NFL prospect.

If Stafford and Bradford stay, I'd say next year has the potential to be one of the best QB classes we've seen in a while...better than '06's potential even.

No doubt, it's early but i would be inclined to rank them.(assuming Stafford leaves)

Sam Bradford
Mark Sanchez
Jevan Snead
Josh Freeman
Colt McCoy
Jimmy Clausen

Brent
11-03-2008, 01:59 PM
Rusty Smith of FAU has to be on there somewhere
He seems to have fallen off the radar, especially after having hype entering the year.

Mr. Stiller
11-03-2008, 02:19 PM
He seems to have fallen off the radar, especially after having hype entering the year.

Yeah, it's disappointing. I wonder what the kid would be doing at a school with some talent.