PDA

View Full Version : The Bucs - Legit SB Contender?

bigbluedefense
10-20-2008, 11:30 AM
I think they can be. They have a great defense, theyre built strong along both the dline and oline, have a solid 1,2 RB punch, a very good qb in Garcia, good enough playmakers on the outside. They use their 2 TEs very well. I see no glaring weakness on this team.

I don't see why theyre not mentioned as one of the elite teams in the league. By my estimation, they are. And could very well represent the NFC in the SB if the ball bounces their way.

Thoughts? Discuss. I'll be back later to check this thread out.

Bruce Banner
10-20-2008, 11:35 AM
<3

Finally a Buc thread not made by a Buc fan. I'm truly surprised.

When Garcia is on and not getting to skittish (leaving the pocket too early) this team can win.

No glaring weakness but no major strength.

Well....the Bucs may have one weakness....boy blunder's terrible playcalling will rear it's head eventually. (averaging 6 yards per carry than passing the ball 10 straight times)

He just has to "dazzle the league with his offensive genius" (from his autobiography)

Ok....maybe two weaknesses....a major lack of playmakers/receivers....

Galloway is done....Antonio Bryant is Jekyll and Hyde....Dexter Jackson blows.... Clayton sucks.....Ike Hilliard is probably in a coma following that hit yesterday.....Cadillac Williams will probably be IR'd.....Dunn is good for 5 carries for 3 yards then a 25 yard gain to make it look decent....Graham is playing fullback.....

Ok.....three weaknesses.....a lack of push from the front four.....

No interior pass rush, lets clone SAPP!.....Hovan is a human pancake....Gaines Adams is good but is suffering from the no-call holding that most other DEs are getting this year....Kiffin is starting to blitz more to make up for our lack of push.....

I guess our insane depth on D and our amazing O-Line are the only arguable strengths.

throwback54milkman
10-20-2008, 11:35 AM
no, overrated

Number 10
10-20-2008, 11:37 AM
I don't think so.

That running game is way too suspect for me to believe it can perform in postseason action. It is arguably the most essential part of offensive play in January, especially if they are playing on the road in a cold weather city.

I think Carolina has a better shot at being a Super Bowl contender because their defense is just as good if not better, and their offense has a much better running game.

I will say this though, the Tampa defense is playing at a higher level than I was anticipating prior to the season. Their secondary is filthy, Phillips may be playing better than any safety in the league outside of Ed Reed and Aqib Talib is making a huge impact. Gaines Adams is breaking out and Barrett Ruud is as solid as it gets in the middle. They will be tough to score on barring injuries of course.

iloxygenil
10-20-2008, 11:42 AM
I have a hard time seeing Tampa not finishing last in the NFC South. Their defense heck yes, no questions. Beautiful defense, but they can't really move the ball on offense to save their lives. I don't like Tampa as a contender at all. I like them to never be out of a game because of their defense. But when they have to play against the big boys, they'll end up falling to the wayside imo.

Ike Hillard is terribly annoying to play against btw. Guy is pesky and always gets enough for the first down conversion.

Bruce Banner
10-20-2008, 11:44 AM
I have a hard time seeing Tampa not finishing last in the NFC South.

Is this a ******* joke?

But when they have to play against the big boys, they'll end up falling to the wayside imo.

Like your Falcons? Who according to you are elite.

Short memory span I guess.

nrk
10-20-2008, 11:47 AM
I think they are a legit contender. It's all depending on how their offense does in Jan. Their D should be able to keep any game close. I think they lack a big wr play maker. It's good to see Garcia out there instead of Griese. That definitely gives them a better chance I think.

nrk
10-20-2008, 11:49 AM
I have a hard time seeing Tampa not finishing last in the NFC South. Their defense heck yes, no questions. Beautiful defense, but they can't really move the ball on offense to save their lives. I don't like Tampa as a contender at all. I like them to never be out of a game because of their defense. But when they have to play against the big boys, they'll end up falling to the wayside imo.

Ike Hillard is terribly annoying to play against btw. Guy is pesky and always gets enough for the first down conversion.

I see Bucs winning the division and Carolina getting a wildcard. I don't know how you can have Bucs finishing anywhere below #2 in that division.

Smooth Criminal
10-20-2008, 11:51 AM
I don't really like Tampa as a superbowl contender. I can't see them going into NY or Washington in the winter and beating either one of those teams.

I don't know what it is but I just don't see this team doing anything in the playoffs. I think Carolina is gonna end up winning the division over them, and we all know its hard to make a run at the title from the wildcard.

umphrey
10-20-2008, 11:52 AM
I think they are a good team. Underrated by a lot of pundits. I see them as a playoff contender, maybe even NFC C contender, but not a SB contender.

nrk
10-20-2008, 11:54 AM
I don't really like Tampa as a superbowl contender. I can't see them going into NY or Washington in the winter and beating either one of those teams.

I don't know what it is but I just don't see this team doing anything in the playoffs. I think Carolina is gonna end up winning the division over them, and we all know its hard to make a run at the title from the wildcard.

Tampa's D will give Eli or Campbell fits. I think the Bucs would beat the Skins, and I like them against the Giants if they're O-line can hold up.

bigbluedefense
10-20-2008, 11:55 AM
I like their RB punch. Graham is solid, and Dunn does a decent job spelling him. More importantly, I like their oline a lot. It reminds me of the Giants oline, no big names but a group of guys who do a great job working together as a unit.

I also like the veterans on this team. Garcia is a fighter, Dunn is a class act and a SB champion, Brooks is a leader and a champ, they have a nice blend of youth and age and leadership to get the job done.

As mentioned, the D is playing lights out right now. They don't have to light up the scoreboard, just do enough to win games. I think they have enough to do that.

As for the Panthers, I don't know what to make of them. Theyre an enigma to me. Which Panther's team shows up when? Thats my issue with them. They could very well be another surprise team though. Fox's teams always play well in the playoffs.

iloxygenil
I see Bucs winning the division and Carolina getting a wildcard. I don't know how you can have Bucs finishing anywhere below #2 in that division.

I've actually watched the teams play?

Fck JC, He got off e.z
Who have they beat that is considered an elite team? A massively short-handed Green Bay team and the Panthers. Really, the only really impressive victory I see is the Panther game and they have already lost to some suspect teams. Maybe they are a contender, but I haven't seen it yet based on their play.

bigbluedefense
10-20-2008, 11:56 AM
Tampa's D will give Eli or Campbell fits. I think the Bucs would beat the Skins, and I like them against the Giants if they're O-line can hold up.

Eli played very well against the Bucs on the road in the playoffs...

He brought up a good point. How the bucs will fair in cold weather environments on the road. Thats gonna be a huge factor for them.

Smokey Joe
10-20-2008, 11:58 AM
There are probably 10-11 teams in the NFC that all have legit shots at the superbowl, IMO. The difference will be who gets hot at the right time, and who the ball bounces for.

Watchman
10-20-2008, 11:59 AM
As a Buc fan I don't really see them as a SB contender. I think it will be an entertaining battle for the Division title this year, and the Bucs have a good chance of winning it again. Consistency on offense is their biggest issue. You really never know what you are going to get week in and week out.

They are beating the teams they are supposed to beat, which is something they haven't done in the last few years.

iloxygenil - how exactly do you get to the Bucs finishing last in the Division this year? The second half of their schedule is arguably easier then the 1st half, and if anything they are playing better now then in the first few weeks of the year.

nrk
10-20-2008, 12:04 PM
Eli played very well against the Bucs on the road in the playoffs...

He brought up a good point. How the bucs will fair in cold weather environments on the road. Thats gonna be a huge factor for them.

I'm not giving the Bucs the victory or anything. It depends on which Eli plays. Last year they were on fire and just couldn't be stopped. I don't know if that happens again. Yeah, playing in NY would be huge for them as well.

NY+Giants=NYG
10-20-2008, 12:05 PM
I think they can be. They have a great defense, theyre built strong along both the dline and oline, have a solid 1,2 RB punch, a very good qb in Garcia, good enough playmakers on the outside. They use their 2 TEs very well. I see no glaring weakness on this team.

I don't see why theyre not mentioned as one of the elite teams in the league. By my estimation, they are. And could very well represent the NFC in the SB if the ball bounces their way.

Thoughts? Discuss. I'll be back later to check this thread out.

I always see the Bucs as good enough to make the playoffs, but not good enough to take that next step. I do think that defense is a good solid unit, but the musical QBs is why I don't think they can take that next step. They need some stability at that position. But that team does interest me. But I always see them as a good team that just comes up short in playoffs.

nrk
10-20-2008, 12:08 PM
I've actually watched the teams play?
Oh really? Damn, you got me there...... -_-.

tjsunstein
10-20-2008, 12:12 PM
I think come playoff time, this team will have a hard time dealing with the more explosive teams. This team doesnt have the IT factor, a playmaker, a threat to make teams back off the run game. It's gonna start to show in coming weeks.

fenikz
10-20-2008, 12:20 PM
Right now it seems about half the teams in the NFC are Superbowl contenders, with the Giants, Panthers, Bucs, Packers and Cardinals leading the pack

bigbluedefense
10-20-2008, 12:22 PM
Let's compare the Bucs to the flavor of the month: The Titans.

-Both have great defenses that create turnovers and can shut teams down.
-Both can apply pressure on the qb, and have great dlines
-Both have great secondaries
-Both have underrated LB cores
-Both can do enough offensively to score enough points
-Both have very good olines
-Both have leadership, experience, and great coaching
-Both lack a playmaker at WR
-Both have a solid TE duo

-Tennessee has the better RB duo
-Bucs have the better QB

Are they really THAT different when you think about it?

The Buc's inconsistencies are largely due to an injured Garcia, then starting Griese. If Gruden buys a brain and starts Garcia for the rest of the year, and he can stay healthy, I see them winning the division.

Smokey Joe
10-20-2008, 12:23 PM
Right now it seems about half the teams in the NFC are Superbowl contenders, with the Giants, Panthers, Bucs, Bears and Cardinals leading the pack
Fixed it for ya.

fenikz
10-20-2008, 12:36 PM
Fixed it for ya.

It's a toss up right now, but the Packers defense is actually playing good and in the long run i think Orton will fall back to earth

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
10-20-2008, 12:41 PM

-Bucs have the better QB

The Buc's inconsistencies are largely due to an injured Garcia, then starting Griese. If Gruden buys a brain and starts Garcia for the rest of the year, and he can stay healthy, I see them winning the division.

I think the Bucs are like a poor-man's Tennessee. Except with a much better QB. But when I think Bucs, I don't think "Dominant team." They're looking like a playoff team, yes, but I don't think they're quite good enough to warrant the "elite" tag just yet. They did beat just beat up on a terrible Seahawks team, and lost to an only slightly above average(in my opinion) Denver team. They did beat Carolina though, which was very impressive.

ShutDwn
10-20-2008, 01:00 PM
As for the Panthers, I don't know what to make of them. Theyre an enigma to me. Which Panther's team shows up when? Thats my issue with them. They could very well be another surprise team though. Fox's teams always play well in the playoffs.

The real question is which Panther's Offense shows up, the defense has done everything right, the offense and special teams haven't done them any favors in a lot of games.

Our run game hasn't been as good as it was earlier, I think a big part of that is because of how messed up our oline is right now. In the Falcons game, Otah and Gross went out, in the Chiefs game, they were out again, against the Bucs Kalil and Otah were out, and the same for the Saints game.

Otah has been a huge part of our ground success. I have a lot of faith that they will get healthy and the offense will start clicking soon enough, a good run game only makes Jake, Smith and Moose that much better, just look at Steve's average it is higher than ever because of playaction.

But the Bucs are the ones to beat in the South right now, and rightfully so as they are leading right now. However, the NFC has a lot to sort out, being hot right now does you know good if you cool off come playoff time.

PACKmanN
10-20-2008, 01:01 PM

-Bucs have the better QB

Joey Galloway says hi to that sir.

nrk
10-20-2008, 01:04 PM
But the Bucs are the ones to beat in the South right now, and rightfully so as they are leading right now. However, the NFC has a lot to sort out, being hot right now does you know good if you cool off come playoff time.

I think the Falcons falter in the next few weeks with the schedule. The Saints can turn it around, but losing Reggie hurts. Deuce should fill in fine, and maybe even improve their running game. (I hope so, hes sitting on my FF bench)

awfullyquiet
10-20-2008, 01:07 PM
I think it's amazing how many people think a running team can't run in cold weather... Sure. Passing games may suffer more, but then again, everyone suffers in the snow, not just the running game.

Absolutely boggles my mind.

NY+Giants=NYG
10-20-2008, 01:35 PM

Yeah, but Galloway is like 50 years old! lol I am kidding, I am kidding.

ATLDirtyBirds
10-20-2008, 01:45 PM

-Bucs have the better QB

Tennesse is better in the trenches and in the run game, which is going to push you deep into the postseason. While Garcia's an improvement, he's not a carry your team type to the point where the Bucs can win the SB.

giantsfan
10-20-2008, 01:58 PM

-Bucs have the better QB

Tennessee's lines are just more dominant, they're similar, but the titans are simply better along the lines, at RB and I'd argue at LB also. Bucs have a slightly better secondary and QB. They bucs are good team, that's well put together but really isn't strong enough at any facet to dominate playoff teams. The titans can dominate playoff teams in the trenches.

iloxygenil
10-20-2008, 02:24 PM
Fixed it for ya.

Yeah...tell that to the Falcons.

Chucky
10-20-2008, 02:26 PM
Yeah...tell that to the Falcons.

You think the Falcons are super bowl contenders in the NFC? Is that a joke?

Saints-Tigers
10-20-2008, 02:28 PM
This is the NFL, almost everyone is a legit contender. They are a solid ass team, and when you get behind on them, it's soooo hard to break through that cover 2.

Bruce Banner
10-20-2008, 02:44 PM

-Bucs have the better QB

^^
1%er folks. Take notes.

Well, he is fast, but he's hurt and we are better without him to be honest. Gruden wastes a lot of downs on incomplete "**** it fly routes" to Galloway. No Galloway=No force feeding him the ball=more efficient offense

TitleTown088
10-20-2008, 02:48 PM
Sure they are, along with 10 other teams right now.

Shane P. Hallam
10-20-2008, 02:51 PM
I guess they are, but I highly doubt they make it. Heck, they may not even win their division. Atlanta and Carolina are right there with them.

I don't think the NFC North team can make the SB, or an AFC South team. That leaves Arizona and the crazy NFC East. If the Eagles make a run, I still like their chances.

Bruce Banner
10-20-2008, 02:53 PM
They would be the first team to win it in their own stadium. (First team to play the SB in their own stadium?)

iloxygenil
10-20-2008, 02:55 PM
You think the Falcons are super bowl contenders in the NFC? Is that a joke?

Nope, didn't say that at ALL. Read WHAT I say not INTO what I say. A BEARS fan called out the Falcons by saying that the Bears are more of a contender than a team that beat them...so I found it funny. BTW that looked more like a list of playoff teams for the NFC...

BlindSite
10-20-2008, 04:14 PM
The Buccaneers, when on their game could beat just about any team in the NFL. That being said Garcia gets away with a lot of plays he wouldn't get away with in the playoffs during the regular season and for that reason one has to question his playoff ability.

I also think that once the running game stops working and you force that offense to go one dimensional they'll struggle also.

Yes they beat a dinged up carolina, but that was to me, a little like the Redskins/cowboys/new york giants losses of late, big head leading to stupid mistakes and bad play against a motivated team, the difference being Carolina lost to a great team and they lost to pathetic ones.

Tampa were my pre-season pick to win the division despite my sig bets that say otherwise. I think who wins the division comes down to Carolina v Tampa redux and atlanta v tampa/carolina redux and more importantly who can stay the most healthy on the lines.

Caddy
10-20-2008, 05:25 PM
I think if we can make the playoffs and look to get at least one home game then we are a legitimate chance of playing in the Super Bowl. In reality it is going to be up to the defense to get the job done out on the field and I would be extremely happy to let this be so. The secondary is playing amazing football at the moment breaking up plays, swarming to the ball and picking it off. Buchanon, Barber, Talib, Jackson and Phillips can get the job done. The D-Line is solid. Adams and White provide the edge rush. Haye occasionally provides interior rush and Carter/Hovan are the run cloggers. I don't think much really needs to be said about the LB corp. Barrett Ruud, Cato June and Derrick Brooks give you the same A+ performance every week.

Beans
10-20-2008, 05:41 PM
I think if we can make the playoffs and look to get at least one home game then we are a legitimate chance of playing in the Super Bowl. In reality it is going to be up to the defense to get the job done out on the field and I would be extremely happy to let this be so. The secondary is playing amazing football at the moment breaking up plays, swarming to the ball and picking it off. Buchanon, Barber, Talib, Jackson, SABBY and Phillips can get the job done. The D-Line is solid. Adams and White provide the edge rush. Haye occasionally provides interior rush and Carter/Hovan are the run cloggers. I don't think much really needs to be said about the LB corp. Barrett Ruud, Cato June and Derrick Brooks give you the same A+ performance every week.

fixed it there

Caddy
10-20-2008, 05:58 PM
fixed it there

Yeah Sabby doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as those guys just yet.

rockio42
10-20-2008, 06:05 PM
Garcia is a fighter, Dunn is a class act and a SB champion.

stupid little thing but Dunn hasn't won a SB

d34ng3l021
10-20-2008, 06:15 PM
Most definitely. Their defense is full of talent with Jackson, Ruud, Hoye (sp?), and Adams while having a great scheme and coach. On the offensive side of the ball, they can do a good job running the ball and are all right at passing.

But like other people have said, there are a lot of possible contenders in the NFC right now. It will depend on who gets hot at the end of the season, a la the Giants circa late 2007- early 2008.

Caddy
10-20-2008, 06:19 PM
Most definitely. Their defense is full of talent with Jackson, Ruud, Hoye (sp?), and Adams while having a great scheme and coach. On the offensive side of the ball, they can do a good job running the ball and are all right at passing.

But like other people have said, there are a lot of possible contenders in the NFC right now. It will depend on who gets hot at the end of the season, a la the Giants circa late 2007- early 2008.

I think that sums it up fairly decently. The NFC doesn't have a clear cut leader IMO and I think home field advantage and good form will have a lot to do with the final outcome. Like d34ng3l021 said, the Bucs could do this on the back of a physical, disruptive defense and conservative offense. However if Carolina gets things together and played consistent ball or Dallas fixed that sieve of a defense they've got going at the moment then they could be in with a chance. That doesn't include the Eagles, Skins, Packers and Giants who I think all have legit chances at rising to the top. Heck even the Falcons are tough to beat when they get that running game in sync.

illmatic74
10-20-2008, 06:31 PM
In this wack NFL here are the teams who could win the super bowl
Bills
Steelers
Ravens
Colts
Titans
Jaguars
Broncos
Cheifs
Giants
Redskins
Cowboys
Eagles
Packers
Falcons
Panthers
Buccaneers
Saints
Cardinals

nrk
10-20-2008, 06:35 PM
In this wack NFL here are the teams who could win the super bowl
Bills
Steelers
Ravens
Colts
Titans
Jaguars
Broncos
Cheifs
Giants
Redskins
Cowboys
Eagles
Packers
Falcons
Panthers
Buccaneers
Saints
Cardinals
The chiefs have a chance? What chiefs team have you watched.

illmatic74
10-20-2008, 06:41 PM
The chiefs have a chance? What chiefs team have you watched. That was an accident I meant to put Chargers.

Smokey Joe
10-20-2008, 10:17 PM
It's a toss up right now, but the Packers defense is actually playing good and in the long run i think Orton will fall back to earth
Correction, Orton already is at earth.

Bruce Banner
10-20-2008, 11:25 PM
http://www.buccaneers.com/splashFL.aspx

jsagan77
10-20-2008, 11:40 PM
I love how people sleep about the Skins.. Amazing rungame, swarming D and Campbell can get it done when he has to. You guys are right though, so many teams could go all the way this year. I picked Carolina and NE at the begining of the year but with the injury to Brady I'm going to go with Carolina vs Buffalo...

LonghornsLegend
10-20-2008, 11:51 PM
When you play as good of defense as the Bucs do then yes, Garcia is more then a game manager, so I could easily see them being a SB contender, would depend on who they get matched with in the playoffs.

sweetness34
10-21-2008, 01:16 AM
Every team in the NFC is a legit SB contender right now because there is no dominant team in the NFL. I don't even consider the Titans to be head and shoulders above anyone.

Of the teams at or over .500, any of them can go all the way, that's what is so awesome about this year. It could be Tampa, it could be Dallas, or it could be a team like Arizona. You just never know.

sweetness34
10-21-2008, 01:17 AM
I love how people sleep about the Skins.. Amazing rungame, swarming D and Campbell can get it done when he has to. You guys are right though, so many teams could go all the way this year. I picked Carolina and NE at the begining of the year but with the injury to Brady I'm going to go with Carolina vs Buffalo...

You lost to a pitiful St. Louis team at home and got ass raped by the Giants in Week 1, sleeping on the Skins? Ummm yea.