PDA

View Full Version : Which soph end will make the best NFL prospect

Solomon
10-20-2008, 12:31 PM
It looks like there are six sophomore ends who could be top picks either in 2010 or 2011. I'm just wondering what everyone's early thoughts on them are.

Carlos Dunlap, Florida. PROS: Fantastic combination of size and pass rushing ability. Has the physical ability to be the next Mario Williams. Shows the ability to dominate at times. CONS: Like the criticism that was earlier attributed to Williams, Dunlap seems to take plays off. Also despite his massive frame he doesn't play the run as well as he should.

Everson Griffin, USC. PROS: Terrific pass rushing ability. Great first step. Is probably the fastest of the bunch. CONS: Needs to display more consistancy. Is also a bit on the small side.

Allen Bailey, Miami. PROS: An insane workout warrior who will catapult up the rankings after the combine/pro day. Still learning the position and should only get better. Plays the run the best out of these five guys and has the agility and speed to get to the quarterback once he improves his technique. CONS: Still raw and needs to start producing more.

Jeremy Beal, Oklahoma. PROS: Versatile enough to play OLB in a 3-4 scheme. Natural pass rusher with very good athleticism. CONS: Will he hold up against the run in a 4-3? Beal is the second smallest of the five ends and also benefits greatly from the talent surrounding him on the Sooner D-Line.

Derrick Morgan, Georgia Tech. PROS: Good size/speed. Able to rush the passer and stop the run. Non-stop motor. Along with Maybin, the most productive of the six ends with 29 tackles, 9 TFL and 6.5 sacks through 7 games this season. CONS: Like Beal he also benefits by playing with very good linemates. Doesn't have any one part of his game jump out at you, Seems to do everything well but nothing elite.

Aaron Maybin, Penn State. PROS: Terrific pass rusher with very good speed and AA type production his season. CONS: Too small to play end in the NFL he might only fit as an OLB at the next level.

princefielder28
10-20-2008, 12:34 PM
Mr. Everson Griffin

SuperKevin
10-20-2008, 12:38 PM
I have to go with Everson Griffin. I think I'd take him as a 1st round pick this year if he could declare. USC coaches are always saying he's one of the best defensive linemen to ever play for the Trojans.

Smokey Joe
10-20-2008, 12:41 PM
Griffen, the guy is a physical freak.

SMoore
10-20-2008, 12:45 PM
Definitely Griffin. He has such a good first step.

But I love watching Maybin. Great 34 prospect IMO. He is so fast off the edge.

Solomon
10-20-2008, 12:53 PM
I have to go with Everson Griffin. I think I'd take him as a 1st round pick this year if he could declare. USC coaches are always saying he's one of the best defensive linemen to ever play for the Trojans.

I've been finding it really hard to evaluate Trojan defensive players this year because their team defense has been so good that no one player (maybe with the exception of Ellison) is really standing out.

Babylon
10-20-2008, 01:24 PM
Griffin, when motivated.

ATLDirtyBirds
10-20-2008, 01:33 PM
Everson Griffen.

brat316
10-20-2008, 01:42 PM
Bailey might be a great olb

P-L
10-20-2008, 02:19 PM
I'd like to see Everson Griffen step up his production a bit more, but I still like him the best.

steelernation77
10-20-2008, 02:20 PM
Adrian Clayborn.

Yatta!
10-20-2008, 02:55 PM
Bailey might be a great olb

Wasn't Bailey moved to DE because he was too big. I thought he was in the region of 280lbs and therefore they believed he would have a greater effect at end.

Solomon
10-20-2008, 04:36 PM
I voted for Dunlap because I think his size/speed combination is reminescent of Reggie White. Obviously he has a long way to go before filling White's shoes but I think he has the potential to do it.

DeathbyStat
10-20-2008, 04:47 PM
Maybin reminds me of merriman

JT Jag
10-20-2008, 04:47 PM
One or two more solid products and we'll have to start calling UF "DE U".

brat316
10-20-2008, 05:06 PM
Wasn't Bailey moved to DE because he was too big. I thought he was in the region of 280lbs and therefore they believed he would have a greater effect at end.

Yeah, but in the NFL 3-4 Olb is around 260-270. And Bailey doesn't look like 280 because has so much muscle on him.

DreadedDatSkinsFan
10-20-2008, 05:15 PM
What about Gred Romeus??? He is underrated...He looks like the real deal to me...I know he's a freshman....But DaQuan Bowers is a f-k-n freak!

draftguru151
10-20-2008, 05:45 PM
Yeah, but in the NFL 3-4 Olb is around 260-270. And Bailey doesn't look like 280 because has so much muscle on him.

Bailey blew up in the offseason and was in the low 290s at one point before settling in the mid 280s. At one point maybe but right now he isn't a 3-4 guy. He's a strongside end and has the ability to move inside in passing situations, like he has this year. He barely has any fat on him but he has so much muscle that he doesn't have the mobility to play LB.

As for the thread, probably Griffen though he hasn't been as impressive as Beal and Maybin have this year. The junior and sophomore DE classes are just ridiculous.

Geomar
10-20-2008, 09:40 PM
Bailey. It's just so unfair. He's 6'5 290. runs a 4.7 40 yards, and he has a 39 inch vertical. And he's all muscle. Only 7 % body fat.

MarioPalmer
10-20-2008, 11:06 PM
Carlos Dunlap is the best in terms of potential. Anyone who can have the size/speed ratio of a Mario Williams or Julius Peppers then they are #1 by default. At 6'6 290lbs. Dunlap can be the next Mario or Julius because of that freakish athletic ability. Teams absolutely can not pass on guys like this because there are so few of them.

Griffin is the most productive of the bunch right now and is the most hyped because of where he was when he was coming out of high school and where he plays now, USC. He is a solid guy, but to think of him as a top 3 pick at 6'3 255lbs. is a bit of a stretch. I do think he can put himself up in the top 10 but top 3 is for freaks of nature, unless of coarse it's a down year like the Chris Long draft.

My guy and my super sleaper is Clifton Geathers out of South Carolina. He is a lean and supremely athletic 6'8 285lbs. with an fantastic first step, strength to bull rush and the athletic ability to do things that guys 50 pounds lighter couldn't do. He isn't the starter per say, but he sure does get alot of playing time. If he has a terrific combine and pre-draft workouts he will with out a doubt be a top 5 selection.

NFL coaches, scouts and of coarse GM's are always on the lookout for the next Mario or Julius. They are once in a lifetime defensive players. Carlos Dunlap and Clifton Geathers are the closest to the real thing as there is in college right now. The only other guy I could see blowing up the 2011 NFL Draft is Dequan Bowers. He, at 6'6 280lbs., is an absolute beast and right now the best the freshman defensive player in the nation. He is almost perfect in his physical form and in his prototype size/speed ratio. 2007, 2008 and 2009 is not a great draft for 4-3 DE's. There are some decent guys there that will have up and down years, but no athletic marvels that will wow people every time they take the field. In 2010 there will be another run on prototype DE's. Look for Geathers, Dunlap and Bowers to all go top 5 and maybe even all 3 of them go top 3 and be the first defensive players off the board.

MarioPalmer
10-20-2008, 11:10 PM
I've been finding it really hard to evaluate Trojan defensive players this year because their team defense has been so good that no one player (maybe with the exception of Ellison) is really standing out.

Don't forget about Rey Rey. I love the kid, and I hope he slips a little and falls to the Cowboys, Chargers, or God forbid the Pats..lol How can you not love a roving beast at 6'2 255lbs.?....lol I bet the Browns jump on the Rey bandwagon too.

djp
10-20-2008, 11:22 PM
Allen Bailey is a freak. An absolute freak. The guy will test through the roof.

If he can get some more pass rushing moves under his belt he is going to be flat out scary.

Teams will like his versatility since he can move inside on 3rd down due to his size.

The best prospect out of those right now is probably Everson Griffen. Dude is a hoss.

Solomon
10-20-2008, 11:22 PM
Griffin is the most productive of the bunch right now...

I don't know about that. I'd say Maybin and Morgan have been the most productive players this season. Followed by Beal, Dunlap and Griffin (who are all playing at about the same level). Griffin was productive last year as a freshman but doesn't seem to be making as much of an impact this year.

Bruce Banner
10-20-2008, 11:27 PM
Allen Bailey is a freak. An absolute freak. The guy will test through the roof.

I've seen his measurables but I must ask.....Is he a better physical specimen than Mario Williams? Freakiness wise.

djp
10-20-2008, 11:49 PM
I've seen his measurables but I must ask.....Is he a better physical specimen than Mario Williams? Freakiness wise.

IMO they will be close. Run about the same 40, but Mario is a bit taller and has a wider wingspan but Bailey will weigh more and is quicker.

Miami S&C coach has said Bailey is the biggest "freak" he's ever had at Miami... think about that...

Shane P. Hallam
10-20-2008, 11:55 PM
I like Dunlap if he develops, but Griffin is a beast.

thebow305
10-21-2008, 01:11 AM
The only place Bailey would play in a 3-4 is at End IMO. He is way too big to be an OLB, not that he doesn't have the athleticism to do it, but I don't think his mass will allow him to. I honestly think he will ultimately move inside and be a dominant DT for us, much like Ricky Jean-Francois at LSU, only better.

eaglesalltheway
10-21-2008, 06:51 AM
I voted Griffin, but in reality, for me, it is a tie between him and Dunlap. Both have the potential to be very very good players in the NFL. One of my buddies is a big Gator fan and I hear waaay too much about Dunlap, whether it be good or bad. My buddy actually texted me once when Dunlap missed a tackle. But a lot of the stuff I hear about him is good and in the little I've seen of him, he does have a ton of potential.
Griffin hasn't made much of an impact in the USC games I've seen, but like someone else said, almost no one on that defense is making a big impct, which is a testament to the high quality of talent that is across that defense.
I've seen every game for Maybin this year and last year. He didn't make much of an impact last year as we had the insanelly deep DL, especially DE, but this year, due to suspensions and injuries he has been given an opportunity. He has done so well that he is making it difficult for once-though-of-first rounder Maurice Evans to get as much playing time. But because he is only 240 (seen him listed as low as 233) at the most right now, I can not see him playing DE in the NFL, unless he gains at least 25-30 lbs. He will have to show that he can cover and work with more space in the combine, because I just don't see him playing DE. His draft stock will go down because he may be seen as a project player.

draftcutlermiami730
10-21-2008, 11:27 AM
I'd have to agree with the guys at the top too. Everson Griffen is a great prospect who has freakish talents. Although Dunlap isn't too far behind as far as his abilities. Maybin and Morgan are having incredible years also so their stock is rising. Another guy like who is under the radar is Michael Goggans from Auburn.

Ozzy
10-21-2008, 11:41 AM
I like Griffin as much as anyone else, but he does not show up consistently as often as most would like.

Dunlap, major thing about him is his size and quickness, who would not love that.

Hard to argue with Morgan though, but I would need to see more of him to get a better feel for his abilities.

Might have forgot Cliff Matthews, Ugo Chinasa or Jason Worilds. Especially Matthews, come on that guy is a real fine player and quite a good athlete himself.

etk
10-21-2008, 09:41 PM
Dunlap hasn't impressed me that much. Not as physically imposing as I'd expect.

Griffen is the real deal, but I still gotta go with my boy Bailey. He's as raw as it gets but he will be special in a couple years and the amount of scheme versatility he brings is unprecedented....only Adalius Thomas can compare.

Geomar
10-21-2008, 11:53 PM
I don't know about that. I'd say Maybin and Morgan have been the most productive players this season. Followed by Beal, Dunlap and Griffin (who are all playing at about the same level). Griffin was productive last year as a freshman but doesn't seem to be making as much of an impact this year.

Bailey has been productive too.

Trojanback02
10-22-2008, 12:24 AM
voted Maybin.

He really just screams Jason Taylor for some reason to me.

MarioPalmer
10-22-2008, 12:25 AM
Also, we have to be weary of guys like Jamaal Andersons', Gaines Adams', Michael Johnsons' and these types. These are guys that were way way under the radar but then explode onto the seen in their junior years and then become even bigger in their senior years a la Chris Long. Long was always considered a NFL guy, but more so a 3rd or 4th rounder until his junior year when he really started to shine and then came his senior year when he could do no wrong and only become more of a college legend.

Predicting these guys is whats hard to do.