PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else noticing the contributions of this years rookie WR class

49ersfan_87
10-20-2008, 12:47 PM
A WR class many thought was weak, where not a single receiver went in the 1st round..

Rookies who have made an impact so far, i may have missed a couple so if i did please let me know..

Donnie Avery (2nd round)
Jordy Nelson (2nd round)
Eddie Royal (2nd round)
DeSean Jackson (2nd round)
Josh Morgan (6th round)

And this is just the beginning...it's well known that WR's take time to develop so we could be seeing some more good players as the season goes on. Kind of weird seeing it from such a panned WR class.

fenikz
10-20-2008, 12:52 PM
Early Doucet has also looked good in limited playing time

nrk
10-20-2008, 12:57 PM
I have been impressed by this years rookie wr class. I thought Limas Sweed would be having a bigger impact. Too bad Malcom Kelly got hurt, I was looking forward to seeing him play with the Skins.

Sniper
10-20-2008, 12:57 PM
Early Doucet has also looked good in limited playing time

You know why he's limited? Because Steve Breaston is awesome.

You know who else is awesome? DeSean Jackson. He should have a field day against Atlanta.

tjsunstein
10-20-2008, 12:58 PM
James Hardy has shown promise but his playing time is also limited.

giantsfan
This draft class is showing good depth at a couple positions with rookies stepping in and performing. RBs look like the could be GOAT, WRs, there have been a lot of rookie DBs playing well, and two rookie QBs starting and surpassing expectations and gaining the confidence of their respective coaching staffs.

nrk
You know who else is awesome? DeSean Jackson. He should have a field day against Atlanta.

That should be fun to watch.

fenikz
10-20-2008, 12:59 PM
You know why he's limited? Because Steve Breaston is awesome.

yes Breaston is indeed awesome i have been saying this for awhile Breaston >>>>> Ginn.

oh and there are some guys named Quan and Fitz too

Sniper
10-20-2008, 01:02 PM
yes Breaston is indeed awesome i have been saying this for awhile Breaston >>>>> Ginn.

oh and there are some guys named Quan and Fitz too

Yes, I said the same thing last year. Glad we agree on this fact o' life. And the reason I said Breaston instead of Q or Fitz is because Breaston was supposed to be battling Doucet for the #3 spot. Put that SEC speed in your pipe and smoke it!

DeathbyStat
10-20-2008, 02:14 PM
I hated the Avery pick by the Rams but he has been really good

iloxygenil
10-20-2008, 02:18 PM
A WR class many thought was weak, where not a single receiver went in the 1st round..

Rookies who have made an impact so far, i may have missed a couple so if i did please let me know..

Donnie Avery (2nd round)
Jordy Nelson (2nd round)
Eddie Royal (2nd round)
DeSean Jackson (2nd round)
Josh Morgan (6th round)

And this is just the beginning...it's well known that WR's take time to develop so we could be seeing some more good players as the season goes on. Kind of weird seeing it from such a panned WR class.
No love for Harry Douglas? Plus how many of those guys are being asked to be #1 targets? None, I think they're rising above expectations, but the bar wasn't nearly as high for them as some other classes.

Harry Douglas just came off a 5reception 90+ yard performance agains the Bears...likely will be taking over the punt return duties from Adam Jennings, and has been involved on many reverses and other plays for the Falcons this year...

Gay Ork Wang
10-20-2008, 02:21 PM
Earl Bennett saw the field against the Vikings! He almost blocked someone! OROY

iloxygenil
10-20-2008, 02:21 PM

We'll see come Sunday, but I'd put Houston on him and consider that one a wash. Houston's physical play knocked the likes of Bowe out of having a game against the Falcons, and from that point on Houston has been playing great (he did give up that Touchdown that gave the Bears the lead, but he was solid all game, can't hang that one on just him, the entire defense let down there) But I'll take my matchup with Houston on him. He's not going to outrun our secondary there's no question about that. Grimes and Houston can both hang in his pocket. Size wise though they may go ahead and put Grimes on him because he's not way undersized for that matchup. Either way, I don't like Donovan standing back there slinging it against Atlanta, but I'm not too worried about Desean lighting us up. Atlanta doesn't have a penchant for giving up big plays.

Gay Ork Wang
10-20-2008, 02:27 PM
who was throwing the ball to bowe?

iloxygenil
10-20-2008, 02:32 PM
who was throwing the ball to bowe?

You're just salty. Why don't you neg rep me some more for no good reason? Bowe against Grimes didn't have trouble getting the ball...but against Houston he couldn't get open to save his life. Look at the stat line, it'll show you against Grimes, THIGPEN was getting him the ball. Yes I know who was throwing the ball, yes I actually watched the game. Houston was impressive against Bowe. Not just because there was a bad QB out there (not that KC has any good ones anyway so it wouldn't have mattered, but you didn't seem to like that defense for Roddy White having 1200 yards with Joey, Chris, and Byron throwing him the ball) but because Houston was locking him up and getting physical with him at the LoS.

Important note about Chris Houston, if you look back at his combine numbers, his speed was impressive yes, but his strength was what set him apart. I believe it was 27 reps of 225 for a cornerback? So I'm pretty sure Bowe wasn't ready for someone to be that physical with him, and since Houston has been playing up on guys and getting the bump going, he's looked much better. He's not great in space (the major concern for Falcons fans) but he can throw off timing, just don't ask him to locate the ball in the air.

Gay Ork Wang
10-20-2008, 02:34 PM
You're just salty. Why don't you neg rep me some more for no good reason? Bowe against Grimes didn't have trouble getting the ball...but against Houston he couldn't get open to save his life. Look at the stat line, it'll show you against Grimes, THIGPEN was getting him the ball. Yes I know who was throwing the ball, yes I actually watched the game. Houston was impressive against Bowe. Not just because there was a bad QB out there (not that KC has any good ones anyway so it wouldn't have mattered, but you didn't seem to like that defense for Roddy White having 1200 yards with Joey, Chris, and Byron throwing him the ball) but because Houston was locking him up and getting physical with him at the LoS.

Important note about Chris Houston, if you look back at his combine numbers, his speed was impressive yes, but his strength was what set him apart. I believe it was 27 reps of 225 for a cornerback? So I'm pretty sure Bowe wasn't ready for someone to be that physical with him, and since Houston has been playing up on guys and getting the bump going, he's looked much better. He's not great in space (the major concern for Falcons fans) but he can throw off timing, just don't ask him to locate the ball in the air.
dude its a question, i wanted to know if it was Thigpen, Croyle or Huard.
calm the **** down, i dont have time to actually follow u people around. Why do you guys think its so important.

Oh and btw i never neg repped you for no reason

TitleTown088
10-20-2008, 02:34 PM
You're just salty. Why don't you neg rep me some more for no good reason? .

And You're a huge Atlanta homer. I got a feeling Philly is going to send ATL back to reality this week. Who knows though? Atlanta has proven me wrong more than once already.

iloxygenil
10-20-2008, 02:53 PM
And You're a huge Atlanta homer. I got a feeling Philly is going to send ATL back to reality this week. Who knows though? Atlanta has proven me wrong more than once already.

I'm not a homer when I bring facts, that's what I keep trying to point out.

I agree that Philly is going to be a loss for the Falcons, with a healthy Westbrook stopping that offensive attack is going to be a nightmare. While I don't see covering up their ST and Desean as a WR as a problem, I see Andy Reid on a bye week having 6 weeks of film to watch on what the Falcons have done, plus that defense is just nasty.

Another interesting fact...Matt Ryan is the only QB in the NFL to not be sacked when blitzed. Yes I think that will change this week, but no one has gotten to him on a blitz. But Philly @ home is a game you put down as an L no matter who you are going into the season, you don't expect to win there. So a L will not be a shock to the Falcons or FalconsNation. But to overlook Harry Douglas' contribution when noting all of these others is kinda foolish. I know you and everyone else doesn't believe in the Falcons yet, but they're 4-2 and Harry's development as our #3 WR plus a guy who can run trick plays etc makes him a candidate for recognition like the rest of these guys.

Call me a homer if you want, but Harry Douglas has made a good contribution to one of many teams in the NFC locked in a tie for 2nd place with only 1 team having less losses than the Falcons.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-20-2008, 03:13 PM
Malcolm Kelly is a bum. He is as fragile as a porcelain bowl. Devin Thomas though has made huge strides. Big, fast, and strong. Right now he's more of a special teams ace but he projects as a future starter for this team down the line. Can't say the same about Kelly though.

umphrey
10-20-2008, 03:22 PM
JordyZZZZZZZZZZ!

I like him more than any WR in this class, maybe give him a tie with Jackson.

No, I'm not biased or anything

SeanTaylorRIP
10-20-2008, 03:25 PM
Davone Bess has looked very impressive for an undrafted rookie. More in the preseason than regular, but he did catch a TD yesterday against Baltimore, and I believe he returns punts and kick offs which is just added value.

Menardo75
10-20-2008, 03:28 PM
Josh Morgan just took over the starting job for San Fran. Should put up pretty rexpectable numbers by years end.

CashmoneyDrew
10-20-2008, 03:53 PM
Don't forget Lavelle Hawkins. 2 catches for 11 yards yesterday. This guy's gonna be a star. In all seriousness, I do like his potential down the road.

SuperMcGee
10-20-2008, 03:54 PM
James Hardy - Big TD in week 2, it's possible all of his other receptions came from JP Losman. Not a great start, but he was going over the middle effectively against Arizona and is a work in progress.

holt_bruce81
10-20-2008, 06:18 PM
Avery has really come along nicely ever since Linehan got fired.

Caddy
10-20-2008, 06:21 PM
Can everyone please stop depressing me. Damn you Dexter Jackson!

draftguru151
10-20-2008, 06:27 PM
Davone Bess has looked very impressive for an undrafted rookie. More in the preseason than regular, but he did catch a TD yesterday against Baltimore, and I believe he returns punts and kick offs which is just added value.

Bess has looked pretty good. Nothing amazing but has played well at receiver and returner.

Beans
10-20-2008, 06:44 PM
dexter ja-

no wait

Jvig43
10-20-2008, 06:49 PM
The rookie class is just outstanding this whole year.

21ST
10-20-2008, 06:51 PM
Devin Thomas=Squat
Maclcolm Kelly=Bigger Squat

bored of education
10-20-2008, 07:02 PM
Will Franklin is touching the field I think?

Caddy
10-20-2008, 07:05 PM
Will Franklin is touching the field I think?

Dexter Jackson gets a whole face full of turf every time he "returns" a punt.

LonghornsLegend
10-20-2008, 07:39 PM
Don't forget Lavelle Hawkins. 2 catches for 11 yards yesterday. This guy's gonna be a star. In all seriousness, I do like his potential down the road.

I love Lavelle Hawkins, he's a playmaker with the ball in his hands and I think he can really find a spot for him in that WR core, only thing is I don't see many of their WR's get targeted at all, maybe thats why they didn't spend a 1st on one...Hawkins could be very good, but he probably won't get the same chances as some other guys, certainly won't be surprised once he starts to make a name for himself though.

Kelly was just a surprise he went that early, remember that report about teams taking him off their draft boards because of his bad knees, it's already been a problem for him now...He's a talented WR but bad knees combined with a slow 40, he's already fighting an uphill battle and if he can't ever stay healthy for a year straight he won't ever amount to anything.

GB12
10-20-2008, 07:49 PM
I know he'll always be a joke on here, but Jordy Nelson is going to be good when he gets his turn. He'll fit in nicely as a replacement for Donald Driver.

Bruce Banner
10-20-2008, 07:49 PM
I know he'll always be a joke on here, but Jordy Nelson is going to be good. He'll fit in nicely as a replacement for Donald Driver.

Nelsonzzzzz as a #2 receiver? Not so sure.....

bored of education
10-20-2008, 07:50 PM
Nelsonzzzzz as a #2 receiver? Not so sure.....

That was funny. Jordyz will be a nice number 1 though

eaglesalltheway
10-21-2008, 07:42 AM
No love for Harry Douglas? Plus how many of those guys are being asked to be #1 targets? None, I think they're rising above expectations, but the bar wasn't nearly as high for them as some other classes.

DeSean Jackson has, granted it is because of injuries, but he has been the closest thing to our #1 Wr all year.

iloxygenil
10-21-2008, 07:48 AM
DeSean Jackson has, granted it is because of injuries, but he has been the closest thing to our #1 Wr all year.

Yeah, that's what I meant, if it weren't for injuries he wouldn't have been. I'm not disrespecting him because I like what he's done for my fantasy team haha. But in all reality he's a game changer in the PR game, and from what I've seen he's come along far better than rookie WRs normally do. Granted I haven't seen much of Philly this year, just mostly highlights and him leaving the ball at the 1...but no disrespect for Desean here.

Sniper
10-21-2008, 08:51 AM

He's still better than Kevin Curtis, dammit!

And I get a tingling sensation in my pants whenever the other team is about to punt...I haven't had that sensation in so long :)

Sniper
10-21-2008, 08:52 AM
Can everyone please stop depressing me. Damn you Dexter Jackson!

You could always hope some NFC South team's GM gets really, really, really high and decides to draft Johnny Sears or Stevie Brown out of Michigan and tries to cover Jackson with them. He'll be guaranteed to score then!

:(

iloxygenil
10-21-2008, 08:59 AM

And I get a tingling sensation in my pants whenever the other team is about to punt...I haven't had that sensation in so long :)

Haha, that's great. I get a sensation like that but it's in my stomach and it makes me sick whenever someone is punting to Adam Jennings. Oh, this week's game will be fun.

Go_Eagles77
10-21-2008, 02:33 PM

Haha I know what you mean, when it was Reno Mahe returning punts I would usually take bathroom breaks before the play even happens.

HawkeyeFan
10-21-2008, 03:03 PM
Biggest suprise is definiately Jordy Nelson.

He's playing some damn good football, got to give it to the others though.

Strong rookie class, and hopefully my man Keenan Burton starts getting more playing time. I'm very excited about him.

Loggerhead
10-21-2008, 05:58 PM
As a VT fan I find myself cursing last year. We had ******* Royal, Morgan, and Harper, WHO WERE ALL DRAFT PICKS and they did **** because of ******* Glennon, I love Beamer but what the hell was he thinking?

Sniper
10-21-2008, 09:42 PM
Biggest suprise is definiately Jordy Nelson.

He's playing some damn good football, got to give it to the others though.

Strong rookie class, and hopefully my man Keenan Burton starts getting more playing time. I'm very excited about him.

Surprising meaning he hasn't scored 347 TDs yet?

HawkeyeFan
10-22-2008, 12:15 AM
Surprising meaning he hasn't scored 347 TDs yet?

I didn't see him stepping up this much this season is what I mean.

dunagan15
10-22-2008, 01:11 AM
Haha, that's great. I get a sensation like that but it's in my stomach and it makes me sick whenever someone is punting to Adam Jennings. Oh, this week's game will be fun.

Haha exact same thing here. I just pray that he catches it. I dont give a horses ass if he moves a yard, just catch the damn ball.

CC.SD
10-22-2008, 01:44 AM
I didn't see him stepping up this much this season is what I mean.

Well then you can't see ANYTHING!!!!!! ZZZzzzZZZ!!!!ZZZ!!

diabsoule
10-22-2008, 02:43 AM
There were definitely some WR's that should have been first round picks that fell because of some cosmic joke. DeSean Jackson, namely, and it makes me happy that he is becoming a legitimate threat with the Eagles.

Adrian Arrington would have been one worth mentioning if he wouldn't have gotten an absurdly bad case of turf toe. Look for him next year.

And yes, Steve Breaston is a beast and once Anquan Boldin leaves through FA this year expect Early Doucet to excel in the slot position.

diabsoule
10-22-2008, 02:49 AM
I love Lavelle Hawkins, he's a playmaker with the ball in his hands and I think he can really find a spot for him in that WR core, only thing is I don't see many of their WR's get targeted at all, maybe thats why they didn't spend a 1st on one...Hawkins could be very good, but he probably won't get the same chances as some other guys, certainly won't be surprised once he starts to make a name for himself though.

I really like Lavelle Hawkins potential. I don't see him turning into a stud but as a 3rd or 4th WR, I see him excelling. One of the Titans weakness definitely needs be addressed this year either through FA or draft and that's WR. They need a game changer which Justin Gage is not, although I like him as a 2nd or 3rd WR.

Sniper
10-22-2008, 09:28 AM
And yes, Steve Breaston is a beast and once Anquan Boldin leaves through FA this year expect Early Doucet to excel in the slot position.

I thought Boldin had another year left after this one.

iloxygenil
10-22-2008, 10:15 AM
I really like Lavelle Hawkins potential. I don't see him turning into a stud but as a 3rd or 4th WR, I see him excelling. One of the Titans weakness definitely needs be addressed this year either through FA or draft and that's WR. They need a game changer which Justin Gage is not, although I like him as a 2nd or 3rd WR.

No doubt about that, they've gotta get a playmaker out there. Imagine how insane they'd be with Anquan Boldin if they can pry him away from Arizona for a reasonable price. SCARY.

Bruce Banner
10-22-2008, 10:56 AM
I thought Boldin had another year left after this one.

He does. Which is why the Cardinals don't want to give him a new deal just yet. He can at least wait one more year.

Menardo75
10-22-2008, 02:06 PM
Any chance of Boldin becoming an Eagle?

Go_Eagles77
10-22-2008, 02:07 PM
I wish, but probably not.

Sniper
10-22-2008, 02:11 PM
Any chance of Boldin becoming an Eagle?

Below 5%, I'd say. The Eagles always seem to want to be $20 million under the cap. They're at that number right now, and there's nothing major coming off the books after this year. Not to mention, Andy Reid loves Kevin Curtis and Reggie Brown.

rainbeaukid2
10-22-2008, 08:44 PM
and desean jackson is a monster