PDA

View Full Version : NFL heads to Wembley, part II

UKfan
10-20-2008, 03:37 PM
Obviously being a Brit I'm excited as hell to be going to Wembley to be watching an NFL game for the 2nd year running. I'm wondering what other folks think about the game, do Americans wish it was still in the US? Are the Germans jealous (*** Ork Wang)? Any other Brits looking forward to it, or were they unable to get tickets (I know I struggled!).

Let me know.

Gay Ork Wang
10-20-2008, 03:38 PM
yes i ******* am.....i want them to play in frankfurt :'( NFL Europa i miss it!

Yatta!
10-20-2008, 03:46 PM
I had a ticket last year but my gran died the day before so I didn't go in the end and this year I didn't manage to get a ticket so I am jealous/pissed off.

Chucky
10-20-2008, 03:47 PM
I am fine with it as long as the Bucs dont participate. It puts your team at a disadvantage

UKfan
10-20-2008, 03:47 PM
I had a ticket last year but my gran died the day before so I didn't go in the end and this year I didn't manage to get a ticket so I am jealous/pissed off.

I missed out on the raffles, but managed to get one of the really expensive tix (150!) but I get into the official tailgate for free, so not so bad.

CashmoneyDrew
10-20-2008, 04:02 PM
Sucks that reggie bush/shawn merriman/elite LT won't be playing.

UKfan
10-20-2008, 04:05 PM
Sucks that reggie bush/shawn merriman/elite LT won't be playing.

Yeah it does, but I'm still hoping to see some fireworks with Rivers and Brees.

Just hope the weather holds up...

Gay Ork Wang
10-20-2008, 04:06 PM
British Weather never does

UKfan
10-20-2008, 04:08 PM
British Weather never does

It's raining today, I'm not hopeful...

MaxV
10-20-2008, 04:13 PM
Last year's game was pretty terrible (although close).

Hopefully, this year it'll be better.

Giantsfan1080
10-20-2008, 04:13 PM
The game was terrible last year because of the rain. The fans didn't get to see a good NFL product. Hopefully that changes this year.

diabsoule
10-20-2008, 04:26 PM
As a Saints fan I'm upset because it took a home game away from us. We will be on the road for almost a month straight before coming back to the Dome.

UK_Cheesehead
10-20-2008, 04:38 PM
I am fine with it as long as the Bucs dont participate. It puts your team at a disadvantage

Why? Win the game in London and you win the superbowl - fact! lol ;)

Unfortunately I couldn't get tickets for this game, I managed to get to last year's one which, although the game itself wasn't great, the experience and atmosphere definately was.

As UKfan says, just want the weather to hold up so we can hopefully put on a better game this time round.

UKfan
10-20-2008, 06:11 PM
As a Saints fan I'm upset because it took a home game away from us. We will be on the road for almost a month straight before coming back to the Dome.

Yeah I kinda feel for the Saints in this situation, but I wanna see football!

CC.SD
10-20-2008, 06:33 PM
Great to read about the Bolts planning on doing some sightseeing. Great idea guys.

Saints-Tigers
10-20-2008, 06:34 PM
I wouldn't be so bitter about it if we didn't suck so bad on the road. Hopefully the Saints have a bigger foreign fan base or something, so it plays more like a home game. I can hope right?

CC.SD
10-20-2008, 06:36 PM
I wouldn't be so bitter about it if we didn't suck so bad on the road. Hopefully the Saints have a bigger foreign fan base or something, so it plays more like a home game. I can hope right?

It's okay the Chargers have not been good on the road either. Maybe we'll see a sloppy rugby match.

SaintsMan
10-20-2008, 06:36 PM

It's going to be weird, seeing our logo on the field and in the endzones, but it's not our stadium and the fans aren't cheering for us.

Yatta!
10-20-2008, 06:37 PM

Good luck with that. It will be a totally neutral venue - last year you could apparently spot jerseys from every single franchise. If anything people will be supporting the franchise players, mainly LT and Brees.

NY+Giants=NYG
10-21-2008, 08:31 AM
Good luck! Hopefully they put you on a field with REAL grass and not the grass used for soccer. The weather, plus the grass, made the game last year for us a nightmare. What a miserable game!

iloxygenil
10-21-2008, 08:46 AM
Man I'm glad the Falcons aren't stuck doing something like this. It's a terrible idea imo. I know we want to get the world excited about the world's most exciting sport, however, I think preseason / games that don't matter should be the ones played out of the country. This is a key game for both teams and they're going to suffer coming back to the states and having to play some more games, going to be really tough on them. By the time the Saints and Falcons play they'll be readjusted, but man next week is going to suck for those guys. Win or lose it's just going to be terrible, an east to west coast or west to east coast game is terrible on these guys and the teams are at a distinct disadvantage. Imagine how off their body clocks will be when they get back. The game there there is no advantage/disadvantage, but the repercussions will be felt when they get home.

Gay Ork Wang
10-21-2008, 08:49 AM
they should do those games before both of those teams have their bye.

UK_Cheesehead
10-21-2008, 10:15 AM
They have done I think?

I'm sure it happened last year too, whoever plays at Wembley gets their bye the week after.

TitleTown088
10-21-2008, 10:19 AM
Which of those Birds is going to bloody win In foggy old London ?

Geo
10-21-2008, 10:57 AM
I'm excited by it. I just hope that the field is much better this year, because I think the Saints and Chargers are going to put on a very exciting show if the field is good. Especially if you like offense.

Kind of wish this game could be in primetime in some way, but given the time difference (five hrs from east coast, 8 hrs west coast), that isn't feasible barring a tape delay showing. The results of which are bound to be spoiled beforehand.

NY+Giants=NYG
10-21-2008, 11:02 AM
Lets hope it doesnt rain there at this time.

UKfan
10-21-2008, 11:12 AM
I'm excited by it. I just hope that the field is much better this year, because I think the Saints and Chargers are going to put on a very exciting show if the field is good. Especially if you like offense.

It's being held same pitch and as far as I know it hasn't been re-turfed or anything, but it's not rained today, yet...

Menardo75
10-21-2008, 11:40 AM
Great to read about the Bolts planning on doing some sightseeing. Great idea guys.

They gonna do that instead of practice lol.

UKfan
10-21-2008, 11:42 AM

All this afternoon I believe the players are going around London meeting fans and such, disappointed I can't get to that, but I have work.

Also I believe the Chargers have already practiced.

Xenos
10-21-2008, 12:56 PM

It's Tuesday...what do you expect would happen?

TitleTown088
10-21-2008, 01:10 PM
Lets hope it doesnt rain there at this time.

Why? This if football, not baseball. Playing in the elements= Dank.

PACKmanN
10-21-2008, 01:20 PM
so will they use the soccer turf again?

UKfan
10-21-2008, 01:33 PM
so will they use the soccer turf again?

Yup. Wembley is the national team's stadium, so it will be that turf.

brat316
10-21-2008, 01:40 PM
I think its pretty cool, going to the UK to play. I think the franchise owners get paid to leave the home game, so it works out for teams that don't get enough money, like the Bungles.

Getting tix for this thing must be a ***** though, espically if your and NFL fan in the UK and everyone else gets but you.

UKfan
10-21-2008, 01:47 PM
I think its pretty cool, going to the UK to play. I think the franchise owners get paid to leave the home game, so it works out for teams that don't get enough money, like the Bungles.

Getting tix for this thing must be a ***** though, espically if your and NFL fan in the UK and everyone else gets but you.

It's a nightmare, I almost missed out this year as I failed in my applications (probably cos I went last year), but a friend managed to get through for me. The owners should be raking it in I would think. Tix don't come cheap lol.

CC.SD
10-21-2008, 04:12 PM
It's Tuesday...what do you expect would happen?

I still don't like reading about them joking around, seeing the sights, bringing their families out with them, when they are a 3-4 team whose record would be at least three wins better if they only had some (any?) discipline. It just shows they seriously do not understand what the problem is.

Xenos
10-21-2008, 05:07 PM
I still don't like reading about them joking around, seeing the sights, bringing their families out with them, when they are a 3-4 team whose record would be at least three wins better if they only had some (any?) discipline. It just shows they seriously do not understand what the problem is.
All I know is that this goes farther than the HC. It's like we had a slow start since 2004 (with the lone exception of 2006). A fiery coach like Marty or a guy like Norv isn't affecting how they behave on their off days. Doesn't make it right, but it's the players' choice in this matter, not the coaches. They can choose to study film like Rivers or spend most of their time touring London on their day off.

On the flip side, I don't mind them relaxing on their day off as long as it doesn't become a distraction. Sometimes you can't be too uptight about a game, otherwise you end up too high strung like we did against the Pats in the 2006 playoff game. What really matter is the level of focus on the practice field. They (and they are not the only team that does this) need to work on their fundamentals like tackling when they are practicing because it shows on Sunday when they can't seem to wrap up.

diabsoule
10-22-2008, 02:22 AM
I do love that the NFL is doing international games. I think it is great for the sport and increases it's worldwide appeal. If I was a player I'd be ecstatic about playing in London.