PDA

View Full Version : 49ers preparing to fire Mike Nolan next week

WMD
10-20-2008, 04:50 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3654269

Supposedly they're going to replace him with Mike Singletary.

I don't get it.. why not do it now? Why wait until the next game.. what's the point?

Discuss.

iowatreat54
10-20-2008, 04:51 PM
because Mike Singletary is irresistable

bored of education
10-20-2008, 04:53 PM
Mike Singletary will be a good coach..but he will start off the coach of the Niners then somewhere else within 3-4 years.

49ersfan_87
10-20-2008, 04:56 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3654269

I don't get it.. why not do it now? Why wait until the next game.. what's the point?

Discuss.

YES! I wont miss him and his sorry ass 18-37 (soon to be 18-38) record. What a terrible, terrible HC. I certainly hope this report is true...ESPN better not be getting my hopes up.

As for next week...its because the 49ers bye is next week. It gives Singletary an extra week to prepare the team.

tjsunstein
10-20-2008, 04:59 PM
Singletary will do good things for that team. I like the guy and I really cant wait to see what he does with that defense. Willis is his dream come true I bet.

TitanHope
10-20-2008, 04:59 PM
I'm assuming they're wanting to wait until their Bye week until they put Singletary in charge. That way he can get the team situated without having to worry about a game at week's end.

Glad to see Singletary get a shot at HC, but the fall of Nolan is unfortunate.

Babylon
10-20-2008, 05:01 PM
I cant help but think of the Seinfeld episode when the cops show up at Newman's apartment and he opens the door with a butt in his mouth and says "what took you so long"?

Xonraider
10-20-2008, 05:05 PM
I cant help but think of the Seinfeld episode when the cops show up at Newman's apartment and he opens the door with a butt in his mouth and says "what took you so long"?

LOL... I remember that. It was when he stole the dog right?

MetSox17
10-20-2008, 05:32 PM
About three seasons late.

BlindSite
10-20-2008, 05:36 PM
I'm curious as to where he ends up as a Def Coord though.

21ST
10-20-2008, 05:40 PM
I'm curious as to where he ends up as a Def Coord though.

i was wondering the same thing

howcanilose
10-20-2008, 05:46 PM
well I've been a supporter of Nolan for a while (i'm a delusional person) and I'm going to be sad to see him go in the sense that we will probably have to wait another couple more years before we do anything good.......

but I agree, I'm irritated with this situation, why leak out we're goin to fire him AFTER the seattle game? why not fire him now and get it over and done with. and what if we blow out Seattle? this ownership is ridiculous...

also Nolan brought Mike in, I wonder how their relationship will be like if Mike gets the job..

MetSox17
10-20-2008, 05:47 PM
well I've been a supporter of Nolan for a while (i'm a delusional person) and I'm going to be sad to see him go in the sense that we will probably have to wait another couple more years before we do anything good.......

but I agree, I'm irritated with this situation, why leak out we're goin to fire him AFTER the seattle game? why not fire him now and get it over and done with. and what if we blow out Seattle? this ownership is ridiculous...

also Nolan brought Mike in, I wonder how their relationship will be like if Mike gets the job..

No hard feelings. Everyone knows going into the job that you're the first to catch the axe if things go down hill.

SaintsMan
10-20-2008, 05:50 PM
Nolan, come to New Orleans. We need you!

BlindSite
10-20-2008, 05:54 PM
i was wondering the same thing

Maybe under Haslett.

Paranoidmoonduck
10-20-2008, 06:15 PM

They want the new head coach to get the two weeks the bye week grants in preparation.

edit - Glazer just reported that Nolan is out this week.

Menardo75
10-20-2008, 06:54 PM
YES! finally the Singletary era begins.

D-Unit
10-20-2008, 06:55 PM
I wanted Mike Singletary over Wade Phillips during the Cowboys HC search.

Remember that petition? haha.

CC.SD
10-20-2008, 06:56 PM
Take a look AJ how could anyone be worse than Ted Cottrell?

MetSox17
10-20-2008, 06:57 PM
I guess the Chargers don't look too dumb after letting Wade Phillips and Cameron Cameron sign elsewhere.

Babylon
10-20-2008, 07:01 PM
LOL... I remember that. It was when he stole the dog right?

I think so, he always had some stuff going on, the highpower showerheads he had access to, eating the bottoms of all the muffins..... Too funny.

princefielder28
10-20-2008, 07:02 PM
He's been canned effective immediately; so much for next week

http://rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=127947

MetSox17
10-20-2008, 07:06 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8700048/49ers-make-Nolan-latest-coaching-casualty

Shucks. Prince beat me. Oh well, two sources say he's fired lol.

LonghornsLegend
10-20-2008, 07:08 PM
Mike Singletary will end up keeping the job for good.

locseti
10-20-2008, 07:10 PM
espn analysts whining about how Nolan was treated badly, boo hoo wah wah, Nolan had complete control of FA/drafts for the first couple years, and they still sucked. I don't know how much better the organization can treat you, giving you complete control of personnel.

MetSox17
10-20-2008, 07:10 PM
espn analysts whining about how Nolan was treated badly, boo hoo wah wah, Nolan had complete control of FA/drafts for the first couple years, and they still sucked. I don't know how much better the organization can treat you, giving you complete control of personnel.

Therein lies your problem.

locseti
10-20-2008, 07:15 PM
I bet if they asked Steve Young he'd be like "Ya, Nolan's garbage."

D-Unit
10-20-2008, 07:20 PM
I guess the Chargers don't look too dumb after letting Wade Phillips and Cameron Cameron sign elsewhere.
Actually no, they look dumber with Norv Turner.

MetSox17
10-20-2008, 07:22 PM
Actually no, they look dumber with Norv Turner.

Cameron got canned in a year, Wade looks like an idiot, and Norv Turner took them further than Schotty did, so i'm not sure they look dumber with Norv.

Mr. Stiller
10-20-2008, 07:25 PM
Maybe under Haslett.

I could see Cleveland or St. Louis thinking about bringing him in.

I think St. Louis is a draft away from being a 3-4 Team.

Chris Long + Adam Carriker on the ends. Then get a big ass NT (Which I believe they have) and let their speed guys work in space..

MetSox17
10-20-2008, 07:27 PM
I could see Cleveland or St. Louis thinking about bringing him in.

I think St. Louis is a draft away from being a 3-4 Team.

Chris Long + Adam Carriker on the ends. Then get a big ass NT (Which I believe they have) and let their speed guys work in space..

One draft away?

Chris Long would get swallowed in a 3-4 line. Carriker would be the only one able to hold his own. And you want to put Witherspoon and Tinaisamoa in a 3-4? That's crazy.

B-Dawk
10-20-2008, 07:30 PM
long is more of a 34 olb than a 34 de

MetSox17
10-20-2008, 07:31 PM
long is more of a 34 olb than a 34 de

Yeah, you're right. Still doesn't mean i'd put him in a 3-4 though.

Go_Eagles77
10-20-2008, 07:33 PM
To be fair he did play end in a 3-4 in college, but obviously the NFL is a lot different.

TitleTown088
10-20-2008, 07:34 PM
I guess every body isn't crazy about a sharp dressed man? http://cache.deadspin.com/assets/resources/2007/08/nolanpeacocking.jpg

MetSox17
10-20-2008, 07:35 PM
To be fair he did play end in a 3-4 in college, but obviously the NFL is a lot different.

I realize that, and still think that he should not be a 3-4 end. He'd have 340 lb guards and 320 lb tackles man handling him every play. No chance.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
10-20-2008, 07:38 PM
I guess every body isn't crazy about a sharp dressed man? http://cache.deadspin.com/assets/resources/2007/08/nolanpeacocking.jpg

Everyone is crazy for the sweater vest and the hoodie though! Maybe we should start rocking those to proms, graduation, dances, and meetings seeing as how they get the job done!

http://www.clevelandleader.com/files/jim-tressel.jpg

http://i.cnn.net/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0706/gallery.best.brains/images/belichick.jpg

D-Unit
10-20-2008, 07:38 PM
Cameron got canned in a year, Wade looks like an idiot, and Norv Turner took them further than Schotty did, so i'm not sure they look dumber with Norv.
I think Norv is a bigger idiot than Wade. ...but a lot of people are like you in that they tend to make judgments based off the "now". ...and Wade is at an all time low right now.

D-Unit
10-20-2008, 07:39 PM
Everyone is crazy for the sweater vest and the hoodie though! Maybe we should start rocking those to proms, graduation, dances, and meetings seeing as how they get the job done!

http://i.cnn.net/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0706/gallery.best.brains/images/belichick.jpg
I think it's very plain to see that the genius behind the Patriots past success is Tom Brady... not Bill Belichick.

Turtlepower
10-20-2008, 07:40 PM
I think Norv is a bigger idiot than Wade. ...but a lot of people are like you in that they tend to make judgments based off the "now". ...and Wade is at an all time low right now.

They are both given so many opportunities and squander them all. Honestly, I think it is a wash about who is worse. At least Norv Turner has won a playoff game...

MetSox17
10-20-2008, 07:40 PM

When exactly was Wade at a high tide? He was supposed to come in and work wonders with the defense, and they've been getting slaughtered week in and week out.

MetSox17
10-20-2008, 07:41 PM
I think it's very plain to see that the genius behind the Patriots past success is Tom Brady... not Bill Belichick.

Exactly. He doesn't look like that big of a genius when Tom Brady is lying on a table getting knifed.

Where were his creative packages and schemes last week to prevent them getting destroyed by San Diego? (A Norv Turner coached team ;))

D-Unit
10-20-2008, 07:44 PM
When exactly was Wade at a high tide? He was supposed to come in and work wonders with the defense, and they've been getting slaughtered week in and week out.
Coming off a 12-4 season, he wasn't exactly a goat.

You're just further proving my point about how your judgments are based simply off the "now".

MetSox17
10-20-2008, 07:46 PM
Coming off a 12-4 season, he wasn't exactly a goat.

You're just further proving my point about how your judgments are based simply off the "now".

Was last years defense any good? What about the way the team broke down towards the end of the season? Or how it has quickly unraveled this season? He has been here for one and a half years, there's not much outside of the "now", if you haven't noticed.

D-Unit
10-20-2008, 08:05 PM
Was last years defense any good? What about the way the team broke down towards the end of the season? Or how it has quickly unraveled this season? He has been here for one and a half years, there's not much outside of the "now", if you haven't noticed.
When you go 12-4, you're defense is good enough. Was it the best in the league? No, but it was good enough to win. We just didn't. There's a difference.

What I mean by now is that all I see from you is a guy crying that the sky is falling. I don't recall you saying anything bad about Wade even a week ago... but now.... oh he's terrible. I'm sure if the Cowboys turn it around, you'll be saying how he's a good coach and all... am I right?

D-Unit
10-20-2008, 08:10 PM
I still think Nolan is a good coach. He's just not a good talent evaluator.

MetSox17
10-20-2008, 08:13 PM
When you go 12-4, you're defense is good enough. Was it the best in the league? No, but it was good enough to win. We just didn't. There's a difference.

What I mean by now is that all I see from you is a guy crying that the sky is falling. I don't recall you saying anything bad about Wade even a week ago... but now.... oh he's terrible. I'm sure if the Cowboys turn it around, you'll be saying how he's a good coach and all... am I right?

Wow, that's a pretty horrible assumption to make, that just because you win games, you defense is automatically good. Hey, guess what, there's another side of the ball as well. The offense outscored everyone last year.

How you felt that i'm insinuating the sky is falling is beyond me, because all i mentioned initially is that the Chargers don't look too bad for letting their top two coordinators go, since one of them got fired after one year and the other one is about to get fired after this one. I never said he was great before, or did i praise him, but now that the team is playing like crap for a month straight, it's up to him to get it under control, and they just got destroyed by the laughing stock of the league. My stance isn't gonna change on Wade Phillips even if we win every single game after this outside of the playoffs. You can keep assuming what you'd like, but keep it to yourself. Don't put words in my mouth.

Paranoidmoonduck
10-20-2008, 08:13 PM
I still think Nolan is a good coach. He's just not a good talent evaluator.

I disagree. He completely threw Alex Smith under the bus last season. He's been an awful game manager. He never got a 3-4 defense functioning on that team. He'd relied on his charisma to make up for being horrendous head coach. Not to say he won't ever have success, but I know if I would never give him another head coaching job. He made an ass of himself.

D-Unit
10-20-2008, 08:15 PM
I disagree. He completely threw Alex Smith under the bus last season. He's been an awful game manager. He never got a 3-4 defense functioning on that team. He'd relied on his charisma to make up for being horrendous head coach. Not to say he won't ever have success, but I know if I would never give him another head coaching job. He made an ass of himself.
Picking Alex Smith was a problem in the first place. He never found the right pieces to fit his scheme. Just a poor talent evaluator, imo. But as far as a head coach, I think he can still be successful in this league.

Paranoidmoonduck
10-20-2008, 08:23 PM
Picking Alex Smith was a problem in the first place. He never found the right pieces to fit his scheme. Just a poor talent evaluator, imo. But as far as a head coach, I think he can still be successful in this league.

I'm sorry, but not once did he show the leadership needed. Not to even say he won't get another chance, but Nolan didn't support or lead his players. To me that's a much greater negative than the way somone like Lane Kiffin treated the upper management.

WMD
10-20-2008, 08:24 PM
Mike Nolan = Lions next Defensive Coordinator!

D-Unit
10-20-2008, 08:25 PM
Mike Nolan = Lions next Defensive Coordinator!
That'd be great for them.

scottyboy
10-20-2008, 08:31 PM
I always liked Mike Nolan, but the dude just couldn't get it done. Gotta win games, but he'll land on his feet, probably a DC next year.

ATLDirtyBirds
10-20-2008, 08:36 PM

While I agree for the most part, we have to give the man his dues. Matt Cassel just sucks. He has no buisness starting at QB, and a lot of teams would struggle with him at the helm. Plus, you've got to get BB credit for what he's been apart of in making Brady what he is.

Menardo75
10-20-2008, 08:40 PM
Nolan did a good job getting a solid corps of talent. As a coach he was way too conservative in every game. He handled Alex Smith about as bad as you could. He also barely put together a very good defensive gameplan for games. Not to mention this year the team gave up on him.

CJSchneider
10-20-2008, 09:11 PM
I'm overwhelmed with joy!

MasterShake
10-20-2008, 09:36 PM
I've always liked Mike Nolan, but he is borderline ******** in game managment...here is a very recent example...

Giants game this week:

We are driving down the field in a 2 minute drill to end the 1st half. We get around mid-field with a nice pass play and the clock is ticking around 1:06 left, we have 3 TOs! We don't use a TO here which I hated, but it gets worse. We run up to the line in the no huddle and 15 seconds run off...in the hurry we get a false start...with 51 seconds left. Now thats a 10 second runoff unless we use one of our 3 TOs!!!!! I tell my friend 'Oh we will just burn a TO to save the 10 secs" NOPE...they offer that to Nolan and he declines!!! DECLINES?!?! We saving the TOs for the second half?!?!? 41 seconds left and 3 TOS!

A monkey could have made that call, but not Nolan.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
10-20-2008, 09:57 PM

I rocked a sweater vest to my prom, and a raggety old hoodie to after prom.

Brent
10-20-2008, 10:11 PM
It wasn't so much picking Alex as it was not letting Rattay get beat up for the whole year in 2005 and then not retaining a single offensive coordinator. I dont believe he can be a successful head coach unless he takes over after a coach who has a stacked 3-4 defense.

rainbeaukid2
10-20-2008, 10:17 PM
It wasn't so much picking Alex as it was not letting Rattay get beat up for the whole year in 2005 and then not retaining a single offensive coordinator. I dont believe he can be a successful head coach unless he takes over after a coach who has a stacked 3-4 defense.

ya, nolan pretty much through alex smith to the wolves when it was clear he was not ready to play in the nfl

awfullyquiet
10-21-2008, 01:04 AM
the 49ers pull a stupid move.

it's not like pulling the plug on nolan will change things.

when i heard they might be pulling the plug on him, i said. nah. mike nolan isn't THAT bad of a coach... he's certainly not great, but, you could do much worse in this league...

then again, i think that changing coaches the way teams do right now is absolutely ridiculous and unnecessary.

Menardo75
10-21-2008, 02:00 AM

when i heard they might be pulling the plug on him, i said. nah. mike nolan isn't THAT bad of a coach... he's certainly not great, but, you could do much worse in this league...

then again, i think that changing coaches the way teams do right now is absolutely ridiculous and unnecessary.

Believe me this was definitly necessary.

ninerfan
10-21-2008, 02:09 AM
Believe me this was definitly necessary.

OH SNAP my good man !!

diabsoule
10-21-2008, 02:59 AM
Him and Marvin Lewis (when he gets canned) have open invitations to become the new Saints defensive coordinator.

Brent
10-21-2008, 06:11 AM

Yeah, because changing coaches hasnt helped the Rams in recent weeks...

This is a necessary move. Nolan has done little to show that he's able to handle the job. He botched the situation with Alex Smith's injury last year and has shown little ability to manage the clock late in the game. He's a defensive guy who should stick to defense.

BlindSite
10-21-2008, 04:31 PM
Him and Marvin Lewis (when he gets canned) have open invitations to become the new Saints defensive coordinator.

Detroit, Cincinatti will need a few new coaches I'd wager, Saints, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the Giants in the market for a new DC.

awfullyquiet
10-21-2008, 04:50 PM
Yeah, because changing coaches hasnt helped the Rams in recent weeks...

the exception to the rule. really. did it work for the raiders? did it work for arizona last year? has it really worked more than once or fluke twice in the past 10 years? no. not really.

This is a necessary move. Nolan has done little to show that he's able to handle the job. He botched the situation with Alex Smith's injury last year and has shown little ability to manage the clock late in the game. He's a defensive guy who should stick to defense.

I don't disagree that it was an eventual move. I just question number one, the timing, and number two, samurai mike as a HC.

MetSox17
10-21-2008, 05:10 PM
Samurai Mike or the crazy guy that wants to chuck the ball 52 times a game?

At least you have a little hope for success with Singletary

awfullyquiet
10-21-2008, 05:13 PM
Samurai Mike or the crazy guy that wants to chuck the ball 52 times a game?

At least you have a little hope for success with Singletary

All hope was lost when they lost norv turner anyway.

MetSox17
10-21-2008, 05:14 PM

I'm not sure how i should take that.

Bruce Banner
10-21-2008, 05:15 PM
Just like the MLB, I think firing coaches mid-season in the NFL is moronic.

awfullyquiet
10-21-2008, 05:17 PM
Just like the MLB, I think firing coaches mid-season in the NFL is moronic.

when i first read that, i thought you said 'romantic'

Bruce Banner
10-21-2008, 05:18 PM
when i first read that, i thought you said 'romantic'

There is a hint of chivalry to it.

awfullyquiet
10-21-2008, 05:19 PM
There is a hint of chivalry to it.

it's like the nerd getting the girl.
only there's no real winners.

Bruce Banner
10-21-2008, 05:27 PM
it's like the nerd getting the girl.
only there's no real winners.

They still lose.
http://www.joeydevilla.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/nerds.jpg

Brent
10-21-2008, 10:44 PM
Well, can you fault the guy for taking a HC job?

awfullyquiet
10-22-2008, 12:14 AM
Well, can you fault the guy for taking a HC job?

You can't.

But it was the beginning of the end.

Cannot wait to watch SF games to see samurai eyes all afternoon!

diabsoule
10-22-2008, 02:50 AM
Is anybody anticipating a change to the 4-3 since Singletary is now coach?

Menardo75
10-22-2008, 02:05 PM
They have been running 4-3 all year anyway.

awfullyquiet
10-22-2008, 02:40 PM
They have been running 4-3 all year anyway.

Shhh... Diab doesn't actually watch games.

yodabear
10-22-2008, 06:33 PM
Copycatting bastards.