PDA

View Full Version : Best pulling guard?

JPF
10-20-2008, 05:32 PM
Who does everyone feel is the best pulling guard in the this draft class?

draftguru151
10-20-2008, 05:39 PM
Tyronne Green is the best I've seen so far this year. Pretty good feet and a good athlete, kinda small though.

STARHEATHER
10-21-2008, 08:04 PM
duke robinson. second is not close

JT Jag
10-21-2008, 08:08 PM
duke robinson. second is not closeDuke Robinson is a 6'5 335 straight-up downfield blocker. He's not the most mobile guard in the class.

rockio42
10-21-2008, 08:25 PM
Tyronne Greene, which shouldn't suprise anyone considering guards that have come of Auburn in the past and have been small and athletic (Kendall Simmons and Ben Grubbs are both around 6'3 315)

Babylon
10-21-2008, 09:16 PM
While we're on the subject of Jeff Byers, USC.

STARHEATHER
10-21-2008, 09:33 PM
see thats where youre wrong. you think that because of his size. but its totally false. hes a great puller and hes devastating at it. they do it all the time. at least 5-10x per game. more than anyone else ive seen. he has great feet, gets to the second level fast and if he gets hands on you 99% of the time youre erased. why hes special. hes 65 335 and he can pull. hes the best at not even a close second. its his best characteristic. i get excited when i see him pull.. i watched about 8 of their games last two yrs, he did it every game a lot

regoob2
10-21-2008, 11:34 PM
Duke Robinson is a 6'5 335 straight-up downfield blocker. He's not the most mobile guard in the class.
That's just not true. Duke has great feet and quickness.

BeerBaron
10-21-2008, 11:46 PM

indeed. you don't get your name into the first round mix as a true guard if you don't have some sort of great combination of size, speed and agilty.

Paranoidmoonduck
10-22-2008, 12:30 AM
I expect that Oregon State tackle And Levitre will be moved inside and be one of the most laterally mobile guards in the draft.

regoob2
10-22-2008, 12:34 AM
Duke is the best everything Guard.

MarioPalmer
10-22-2008, 12:42 AM
Duke Robinson is going to be one of the best Guard prospects since Shawn Andrews. I even like Robinson more than his former team mate Davin Joseph who is an absolute beast for Tampa Bay. Robinson has virtually no weakness to his game and could go as high as top 15 if his workouts are excellent. Figure this, team in the last 3 years have spent an unimaginable amount of money on FA OG's. With those teams, they are getting that FA OG on his 2nd tour of duty, with Robinson you'd be getting him as an ascending player with the whole world to prove. Robinson will be a huge upgrade for any team, playing in any scheme on any team. I could just imagine him playing for the Raiders and blocking for McFadden or playing for the Dolphins and fianally giving Brown a true power guard to run behind. Oh my God. Can you imagine the Dolphins with Jake Long, Duke Robinson, Samaon Satele and Vernon Carey (if he resigns)? Thats a beast of a line and would give the Phins one of the best young lines in the entire NFL. Not a bad way to rebuild your franchise.

As for a downfield blocker with heavy feet, thats all Herman Johnson. He's a monster, but pulling will be his weekness. If he isn't drive blocking then he is utterly useless in the run blocking game. He is perfect for blowing up the D-Line and creating a hole. A perfect O-Lineman for the power running Cowboys, Browns, Bears, etc. He gives you a power guard, but very little mobility. He would die in a zone blocking scheme or a pass happy team.

MarioPalmer
10-22-2008, 12:45 AM
Oh, and I do have to give mythbuster his props for Duke. This cat has been praising him for ever now and been calling him a Pro-Bowl once in a lifetime Guard for over a year now.

Mr. Stiller
10-22-2008, 12:53 AM
Hmm.

Is this the same Duke Robinson that got Owned by Keilen Dykes and Johnny Dingle?

Robinson is truly overrated. He has all the skills, just to lazy to use them. He could be an elite OG, but his attitude and laziness could drop him a la Max Jean-Gilles (Who was widely considered a first rounder and fell to round 4).

Some unknown guys:

CJ Davis, Pittsburgh
Seth Olsen, Iowa
Curtis Crouch, NC State

SuperKevin
10-22-2008, 12:55 AM
Oh, and I do have to give mythbuster his props for Duke. This cat has been praising him for ever now and been calling him a Pro-Bowl once in a lifetime Guard for over a year now.

mythbusta has only been here for a month

Solomon
10-22-2008, 01:21 AM

Mythbusta has been here since September. Duke Robinson has been a highly regarded NFL prospect at guard for about 2 years now.

diabsoule
10-22-2008, 02:56 AM
I'm interested in this as well since I think the Saints will need to draft an OG sometime during the draft.

The reason: I think Carl Nicks is a future LT. Jammal Brown would return to RT which would leave an opening at LG.

STARHEATHER
10-22-2008, 02:15 PM
ive loved him long before pretty much anyone else. in the games. hes unbelievable. and that is the best offense in college football. putting up 35 points and 500+ on texas is pretty special. and against the weaker competition, he just dominates. i would use a top 10 pick. he could even be a tackle, but hes best suited for g. hell be one of the better players in this draft if not one of the best regardless of where hes picked. hes the best prospect at the position in a while. he plays good. they score lots of points. every game.

CroomDawgs
10-22-2008, 02:17 PM
Duke Robinson. Easy choice.

Babylon
10-22-2008, 02:25 PM
mythbusta has only been here for a month

Seems much longer.

Solomon
10-26-2008, 01:32 PM
As for a downfield blocker with heavy feet, thats all Herman Johnson. He's a monster, but pulling will be his weekness. If he isn't drive blocking then he is utterly useless in the run blocking game. He is perfect for blowing up the D-Line and creating a hole. A perfect O-Lineman for the power running Cowboys, Browns, Bears, etc. He gives you a power guard, but very little mobility. He would die in a zone blocking scheme or a pass happy team.

Johnson proved last night that he can pull and block downfield.

JT Jag
10-26-2008, 01:54 PM

indeed. you don't get your name into the first round mix as a true guard if you don't have some sort of great combination of size, speed and agilty.I didn't say he's not mobile. He's a very good guard.

That said, he's not the best in class at pulling.

Race for the Heisman
10-27-2008, 01:27 PM
Brandon Carter of Texas Tech looked pretty good last Saturday.

Ozzy
10-27-2008, 01:28 PM
If you forget this years draft class it just might be Rodney Hudson of Florida State.

SuperKevin
10-27-2008, 01:32 PM
Pretty sure he plays tackle right now but Ryan Stancheck at West Virginia will likely be a guard in the NFL and he'll be a pretty good pulling guard

YAYareaRB
10-27-2008, 01:33 PM
Herman Johnson

Larry121283
10-28-2008, 01:25 PM
Not in reference to simply pulling guards, but in guards in general...

I got Duke Robinson and Herman Johnson are 1a and 1b to me. Duke isn't quite Steve Hutchinson, but whoever mentioned Shawn Andrews, got the draft stock in the right area. Andrews had a similar knock (taking plays off, not finishing off blocks 100%). Johnson is just a man-mountain. I love the way he actually gets to the second level and puts a hat on a linebacker. Consider the 'Mike backer gone from the play when he moves up to that second level. You don't see many linemen, nevermind guards at that size do it. You need good, quick feet. Athletic enough to run Wake Forest's complex blocking scheme...that is how athletic he is.

Ty Green and Kraig Urbik are really nice players.

Trevor Canfield and Andy Levitre are also quite good.

Jamon Meredith is going to be a guard in the pros, so his stock is going to be interesting by season's end.

Just another random musing...the trio of centers...Luigs, Mack, and Caldwell are of the best rated pros I've heard and seen in quite some time. Throw in Max Unger (more of an OL prospect...no defined position) and that is a nice interior line class.

I am glad the Jaguars have a need on the interior this year.

Smokey Joe
10-28-2008, 07:17 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why Antoine Caldwell is so low on Scott's rankings. The guy is a stud.

Race for the Heisman
10-28-2008, 07:36 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why Antoine Caldwell is so low on Scott's rankings. The guy is a stud.

Because they haven't been updated in forever.

Menardo75
10-28-2008, 07:37 PM
Yes Duke is a stud for sure the top interrior guy in the draft.

Mr. Stiller
10-29-2008, 12:18 AM
Robinson is a great straightline, mauler guard.

But the guy is not by any defintion a "Pulling" Guard.

If Jamon Meredith stays an OG he may very well be the best. Very uncanny athleticism for his size.

Solomon
10-29-2008, 01:28 AM
Because they haven't been updated in forever.

IMO Caldwell has been playing at a very high level since his soph year and should have higher from September.

Iamcanadian
10-29-2008, 02:01 AM
It's a tricky call since a lot of college teams may not ask their OG's to pull a lot in their systems and a lot of OT's will be switched to OG in the pros. That makes predicting OG's quite a task. These questions are usually answered either at the Senior Bowl if they are invited or at the combine where they are all asked to show their actual abilities.
It's like asking which college DE's will make the best OLB's in as 3-4 defense. It isn't till the scouts and GM's see them play as OLB's in space at the Senior Bowl or at the combine that these questions can be answered with any certainty.

NFLLinemanScout
11-18-2008, 04:48 PM
[QUOTE=STARHEATHER;1273572]see thats where youre wrong. you think that because of his size. but its totally false. hes a great puller and hes devastating at it. they do it all the time. at least 5-10x per game. more than anyone else ive seen. he has great feet, gets to the second level fast and if he gets hands on you 99% of the time youre erased. why hes special. hes 65 335 and he can pull. hes the best at not even a close second. its his best characteristic. i get excited when i see him pull.. i watched about 8 of their games last two yrs, he did it every game a lot[/QUOT

NC.States' Curtis Crouch is the prototype pf what NFL coaches want, he's 6-5 324lbs and runs an astonoshing 4.86 forty..Go on youtube and type in Curtis crouch and you will see for yourself

NFLLinemanScout
11-18-2008, 04:50 PM
NC.States' Curtis Crouch is the prototype pf what NFL coaches want, he's 6-5 324lbs and runs an astonoshing 4.86 forty..Go on youtube and type in Curtis crouch and you will see for yourself..Duke Robinson is a Great player but he's not as agile as people think..Herman Johnson is in the same category..they both are great pass protectors but not Pullers

NFLLinemanScout
11-18-2008, 04:57 PM
Not in reference to simply pulling guards, but in guards in general...

I got Duke Robinson and Herman Johnson are 1a and 1b to me. Duke isn't quite Steve Hutchinson, but whoever mentioned Shawn Andrews, got the draft stock in the right area. Andrews had a similar knock (taking plays off, not finishing off blocks 100%). Johnson is just a man-mountain. I love the way he actually gets to the second level and puts a hat on a linebacker. Consider the 'Mike backer gone from the play when he moves up to that second level. You don't see many linemen, nevermind guards at that size do it. You need good, quick feet. Athletic enough to run Wake Forest's complex blocking scheme...that is how athletic he is.

Ty Green and Kraig Urbik are really nice players.

Trevor Canfield and Andy Levitre are also quite good.

Jamon Meredith is going to be a guard in the pros, so his stock is going to be interesting by season's end.

Just another random musing...the trio of centers...Luigs, Mack, and Caldwell are of the best rated pros I've heard and seen in quite some time. Throw in Max Unger (more of an OL prospect...no defined position) and that is a nice interior line class.

I am glad the Jaguars have a need on the interior this year.

Curtis Crouch is a physical freak of nature..He can Run like the wind and he is a Beast in the trenches..He runs a 4.86 forty, it should be illegal to be that big and run that fast..I have watched Trevor Canfield, and Andy Levitre they are 4. and 5. on my list..Crouch is 3rd..go on youtube and type in Curtis Crouch

ElectricEye
11-18-2008, 05:00 PM
X_qUr3-ZTGs

That is kind of sick, but this is honestly the first I've heard of this guy. I haven't seen much of NC State, but that is pretty freakish there.

james.mcmurry
11-18-2008, 06:00 PM
Number one is Duke Robinson, number two is the guy from Auburn.

Herman Johnson is actually a very good puller for his size.

mussop
11-23-2008, 07:29 PM
First post here! :) I love Duke Robinson but he isnt even in the same class as Max Unger when it comes to pulling. Duke does a good job of pulling close to LOS but isnt as much a factor out in space on the second level. Unger is the best OL i have seen in years at getting to the second level and negating his man.

diabsoule
11-23-2008, 11:29 PM
How about Louis Vasquez from Texas Tech? He ranked fairly high in Scott's rankings and I was wanting to know a little more about him.

PACKmanN
11-23-2008, 11:51 PM
X_qUr3-ZTGs

That is kind of sick, but this is honestly the first I've heard of this guy. I haven't seen much of NC State, but that is pretty freakish there.

who in the hell is that LG? HE IS FAST!!@!@!@!@!@

Don Vito
11-24-2008, 12:48 AM
X_qUr3-ZTGs

That was unbelievable. I'll go with Duke Robinson, from what I've seen of him he has looked like a great athlete and he can deliver blows. Does anyone remember when people on this site were saying Oher was going to be moved to guard? That always was frusturating.

SuperKevin
11-24-2008, 12:51 AM
Curtis Crouch got kicked off of the team at NC State last week though so his Draft stock is pretty darn low

http://www.fayobserver.com/article?id=311199

Don Vito
11-24-2008, 12:55 AM
Thats too bad. Looks like his buzz on NFLDC was short lived.

diabsoule
11-24-2008, 01:18 AM
Curtis Crouch got kicked off of the team at NC State last week though so his Draft stock is pretty darn low

http://www.fayobserver.com/article?id=311199

He could be a possible steal for anyone who takes a late round flyer on him.

Monomach
11-24-2008, 12:15 PM
He could be a possible steal for anyone who takes a late round flyer on him.

Maybe not. You have to be a pretty big ****-up for your coach to ruin your draft stock so completely with only two games left in your college career, right? That coach has to be able to have a REALLY good excuse for it when recruiting.

http://forums.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=178&f=2515&t=3449384&p=1

A lot of NC State fans on the forum in the link seem to not be too sad about it. Some even said he was lazy on the field.

NFLLinemanScout
12-15-2008, 03:37 PM
Hmm.

Is this the same Duke Robinson that got Owned by Keilen Dykes and Johnny Dingle?

Robinson is truly overrated. He has all the skills, just to lazy to use them. He could be an elite OG, but his attitude and laziness could drop him a la Max Jean-Gilles (Who was widely considered a first rounder and fell to round 4).

Some unknown guys:

CJ Davis, Pittsburgh
Seth Olsen, Iowa
Curtis Crouch, NC State

Curtis Crouch is the best pulling guard in the nation..he's 6-5 324lb's and runs a 4.86 forty..watch this video of him against louisville he's playing RG..great pass protection by crouch then a play of the year..please click on the link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7V_Ok8x4v8

NFLLinemanScout
12-15-2008, 03:48 PM
Curtis Crouch is the best pulling guard in the nation..he's 6-5 324lb's and runs a 4.86 forty..watch this video of him against louisville he's playing RG..great pass protection by crouch then a play of the year..please click on the link

SuperKevin
12-15-2008, 03:55 PM

Yes but how hard is his already low stock being hit by the fact that he was kicked off the team?

SuperKevin
12-15-2008, 03:56 PM
Curtis Crouch is a physical freak of nature..He can Run like the wind and he is a Beast in the trenches..He runs a 4.86 forty, it should be illegal to be that big and run that fast..I have watched Trevor Canfield, and Andy Levitre they are 4. and 5. on my list..Crouch is 3rd..go on youtube and type in Curtis Crouch

So is he 3rd best or the best? You contradicted yourself horribly here

PACKmanN
12-15-2008, 04:04 PM
Unger could be consider, depending if the team moves him to OG.

SchizophrenicBatman
12-15-2008, 04:08 PM
Crouch was in the doghouse all season. O'Brien left him at home for the opening game and he didn't play much after that...and as you all know, he was kicked off the team with just a couple games left.

I do have to LOL @ that highlight of Crouch being Owen Spencer dropping a pass. Dear god, that guy had more drops of 30+ yards than most receivers see in a career

twizbuck
12-15-2008, 04:18 PM
Brandon Carter of Texas Tech looked pretty good last Saturday.

Carter is going to be awesome in the NFL, but he won't declare this year. I'd love to get him next year though.

NFLLinemanScout
12-30-2008, 11:28 AM
So is he 3rd best or the best? You contradicted yourself horribly here

Actually I Didn't. The question at hand is who is the best PULLING GUARD ,not who's the best overall guard..Crouch is the Best pulling Guard, but the 3rd best Overall Guard!!!!!

NFLLinemanScout
01-13-2009, 04:13 PM
who in the hell is that LG? HE IS FAST!!@!@!@!@!@
That LG is Crouch..he's #76, he pulled the guy on the video made a mistake , crouch usually plays RG thats why he messed up

Mr. Stiller
01-13-2009, 04:17 PM
Carter is going to be awesome in the NFL, but he won't declare this year. I'd love to get him next year though.

Carter needs his mechanics completely retooled. he's not very agile and the guy lines up bent half over.

Rewatch the TTU v Texas game and you'll see Roy Miller(IIRC? DT?) line up and completely punk him quite a few times.

He's slow off the snap but, the guy is just big, bulky.

bitonti
01-14-2009, 09:27 AM
Trevor Canfield, Tyronne Greene and Andy Levitre are the best 3 pulling guards in the draft.

Duke Robinson and Herman Johnson can barely pull their pants up, let alone pull round the outside. These guys are phonebooth maulers, not pulling guards.

Iamcanadian
01-14-2009, 09:42 AM
I expect that Oregon State tackle And Levitre will be moved inside and be one of the most laterally mobile guards in the draft.

I agree, this will be the guy to watch.