PDA

View Full Version : Jarett Dillard - How high?

BrabbitMcRabbit
10-21-2008, 12:07 AM
How high will he go in the draft? I don't see him getting picked ahead of Crabtree, Harvin, Maclin, or Heyward-Bey. That WR5 spot is up for grabs though.

Dillard is having an INSANE season right now. I know the pundits are quiet on him, but at some point you have to respect the production, the football skills, and the athletic ability:

http://www.fantasycollegeblitz.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/dillard1.jpg

Anyone see him sneaking into the late first round? Could be the next Reggie Wayne or Marvin Harrison type of playmaker in the NFL.

Paranoidmoonduck
10-21-2008, 12:43 AM
Not higher than the middle of the 2nd round unless he's way faster than I think he is. I really like the guy and would love it if my team takes a shot at him sooner rather than later, but he's going up against some much more physically impressive players at his position.

CashmoneyDrew
10-21-2008, 12:50 AM
If the Titans don't have a player they value at the end of the first, I wouldn't mind seeing them trade back and take him with a mid-second rounder.

tjsunstein
10-21-2008, 12:53 AM
Honestly, 4th. As much as he deserves the higher position, I dont think he gets it and winds up a steal.

ElectricEye
10-21-2008, 01:02 AM
We talk about guys being underrated all the time; Jarrett Dillard is truly underrated. He'll probably slip into the third because he just doesn't fit the NFL profile, but he has the skills to make it in the league. Great route runner, good quickness, good hands. He'll make an excellent slot receiver for somebody, at the very least.

Yatta!
10-21-2008, 08:28 AM
As a prospect he reminds me of Earl Bennett, so somewhere around the 3rd or 4th round imo.

LonghornsLegend
10-21-2008, 09:08 AM
He has skills, isn't he like 170 though? He's may be able to run a low 4.4 but he may get man handled at the next level, his production is very impressive and he strikes me as a hard worker, somebody who will get on a team and work his butt off to get the most out of his skills...Rice was the only school who offered him a D-1 scholarship also, you may have to wonder how high of a ceiling does he have.

illmatic74
10-21-2008, 09:57 AM
How high so high he can touch the sky.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE7O79eELb4&feature=related But seriously I think he will be a productive pro.

naruto613
10-21-2008, 10:44 AM
It hurts that he'll measure in at below 6 feet, but if he runs a good 40, I think he's a lock for the 3rd round.

ThePudge
10-21-2008, 11:04 AM
Dillard may not be quite as well built, but he reminds me a bit of a wideout that came out of Western Michigan in 2006 and was drafted 52nd Overall. This receiver I'm referring to is none other than Greg Jennings. Jennings came from a similar level of competition in the MAC, had similar size & speed, and was one of the country's most productive receivers. He went into the draft process a fourth-fifth round prospect and came out a late second round pick.

I won't say that Dillard has the same future as Jennings, who is one of the league's leading receivers, but as prospects I believe they are somewhat similar.

Solomon
10-21-2008, 11:07 AM
He's a very good route runner, knows how to find the holes in coverages and has very nice hands. I think he will run better than what Scott thinks (around a 4.40 40 IMO) and should measure in at about 5-11. I've seen him listed at 168 lbs and I've also seen him listed at 185 lbs, if he's closer to the second number I think he could sneak into the second round. The success of small receivers like Desean Jackson, Eddie Royal, Donnie Avery and Harry Douglas this season should help his cause. I see a bit of Greg Jennings in him although Jennings looks a little thicker.

DcmRulz
10-21-2008, 03:36 PM
Depending on the combine, I would say anywhere from the mid 2nd to early 4th round.

Shane P. Hallam
10-21-2008, 03:57 PM
I think that 40 time will REALLY come into play.

princefielder28
10-21-2008, 05:37 PM
I have him rated as the #2 senior WR now due to Tate's injury and think he could be #1, beating out Robiskie.

STARHEATHER
10-21-2008, 07:43 PM
late rds unless he goes out there and works sub 4.5. wherehes listed now he may not get picked. theres going to a lot of guys with a lot more physically

Shane P. Hallam
10-21-2008, 07:47 PM
He'll get picked based on production, no matter how much if he blows it. If he stays healthy and produces, someone will take the chance. I think he could rise up to a Top 5 Senior WR, but that isn't saying much.

STARHEATHER
10-21-2008, 10:14 PM
i just dont see it. hes undersized, reportedly slow, no value added skills. theres not much market for one of these types. i could see him getting drafted. i just dont see a big payoff. hes just not a very gifted young man physically.

Paranoidmoonduck
10-21-2008, 11:21 PM
edit - ignore the man behind the curtain

Paranoidmoonduck
10-21-2008, 11:22 PM
He might not have great speed, but I don't see how your could arrive at the conclusion that he's not a talented player. He runs above average routes, blocks out defensive backs like a pro, has great vertical to make up for a lack of height, plays the deep ball really well, and catches the ball as well as anyone I've seen in college ball.

With the proliferation of the spread offense, there's definitely a market for guys like Dillard. Not in the first, maybe not in the second, but somewhere in the draft.

jballa838
10-21-2008, 11:47 PM
He has a 42" vert according to some stuff i've seen.

BrabbitMcRabbit
10-22-2008, 01:00 AM
i just dont see it. hes undersized, reportedly slow, no value added skills. theres not much market for one of these types. i could see him getting drafted. i just dont see a big payoff. hes just not a very gifted young man physically.

It baffles me when people say things like this. Dillard has 14 TD catches in 7 games this season. He had over 20 TD catches as a sophomore. He has five straight 100 yard games and at least seven catches in every game this season. He's the NCAA record holder for career TD catches.

Do you think he catches all these passes by accident?

He had 9 grabs for 158 yards and a TD against the #1 team in the country.

He would be a household name if he played for USC or Florida.

STARHEATHER
10-22-2008, 03:59 PM
hes just not that gifted. there are lots of guys with stats. it doesnt mean theyll do that at the nfl level. hes going to be an inferior athlete out there. hes draftable but he wont be good nfl wr. average at best but probably well below average. just not enough

SuperKevin
10-22-2008, 07:22 PM
I think if he can manage to run in the mid 4.4 range or faster he could be the top senior WR. That being said he'd still be the 5th or 6th overall best WR should the top underclassmen declare. I don't know if he's going to do that though.

illmatic74
10-22-2008, 08:48 PM
If their not a game breaker WR like Fitsgerald, C.Johnson, A. Johnson etc I want a crafty route runner like Welker, G.Jennings, Cotchery, Gonzalez etc. I think Dillard fits that role.

thule
01-14-2009, 06:34 PM
Dillard is tearing up the East/West Shrine game...I actually read a feed that said they don't know if any WR at the senior bowl will be able to top what he is doing right now at the Shrine practices....pretty high praise....still quite a few sleeping on him.

Solomon
01-14-2009, 11:59 PM
I really hope he proves me right and gets into the second round. He's one of my favourite guys to root for in the draft!

Hines
01-15-2009, 12:02 AM
He is the ultimate slot reciever IMO. I really like him.

Ness
01-15-2009, 02:52 AM
Favorite receiver in the draft. I think he'll be a steal for whoever gets him.

ElectricEye
01-15-2009, 02:59 AM
He SHOULD have got a Senior Bowl invite. I'm kinda disappointed he didn't. I would have loved to see what he could do there. He's still vastly underrated and whoever drafts him will get a guy that is going to produce. He's too good a football player not too. Best route runner in the draft by far. I would take him in the 3rd round if I needed a slot type guy.

Twinkle Toes
01-18-2009, 12:18 PM
He SHOULD have got a Senior Bowl invite. I'm kinda disappointed he didn't. I would have loved to see what he could do there. He's still vastly underrated and whoever drafts him will get a guy that is going to produce. He's too good a football player not too. Best route runner in the draft by far. I would take him in the 3rd round if I needed a slot type guy.

A slot guy who can also run the deep route because of his ball tracking skills and great vertical. 2nd or more likely 3rd rounder IMO - the scouts know who he is - I'd be suprized if he slips lower.

Ness
01-18-2009, 01:08 PM
I heard he had 35 yard touchdown in the East West Shrine game. Unfortunately I can't find any extensive stats about the game anywhere so I don't know how many total yards he had or if he contributed in any other way.

Geo
01-18-2009, 01:16 PM
4th round or 5th round.

I like the guy a lot, but his lack of size and speed hurts him. He won't be able to add much to special teams, and also might not add enough from the get-go to crack the top 3 receivers on most rosters.

phatkroger10
01-18-2009, 02:44 PM
he's consistently been one of the best receivers in all of college. If i were a team i'd be quite pleased if we drafted him. I like guys who can just play football. Not necessarily big numbers at the combine.

giantsfan
01-18-2009, 03:28 PM
I see Dillard in that late first to mid second range with Harvin, DHB, Britt, LaFell and Nicks. He's more of a slot receiver which will hurt him for some teams but there will be a team in that area that he fits better than the other guys and that will make him a day one pick.

Hines
01-18-2009, 03:29 PM
I hope he comes to Pittsburgh in the 3rd round. Would be a beast slot reciever.

summond822
01-18-2009, 04:24 PM
He could have an immediate impact if he runs routes a 3/4 as good as they say he does. He may not have the size or speed, but he has a knack for getting open and he has a nose for the end zone. Both are good qualities to have in a WR. Course, 3rd is probably as early as he goes.

Watching the shrine game...did anyone else find it odd that they kept throwing jump balls to him (or unintentionally underthrew the out/fade routes) when he was covered by much bigger CB's?

OneToughGame
01-18-2009, 08:35 PM
He could have an immediate impact if he runs routes a 3/4 as good as they say he does. He may not have the size or speed, but he has a knack for getting open and he has a nose for the end zone. Both are good qualities to have in a WR. Course, 3rd is probably as early as he goes.

Watching the shrine game...did anyone else find it odd that they kept throwing jump balls to him (or unintentionally underthrew the out/fade routes) when he was covered by much bigger CB's?

A 42 inch vertical makes the height disadvantage seem almost pointless with him lol.

MarioPalmer
01-18-2009, 11:28 PM
I think Jarrett Dillard can have the same career as Isaac Bruce. They both are incrediably smart about the little things, they both have sticky fingers, they both run crisp routes and no how to exploit zone coverage and find the soft spots and they both have average athleticism and speed, but they both know how to best use what they have to their advantage.

I can see him going as high as the top of the 2nd round if he works out well, if not then around the end of the second or beginning of the third. But he has the ability to be a very productive receiver. In the Isaac Bruce or Derrick Mason role. I would love to see him in a Texan uni, he would give them a very reliable wide out to throw to aside from Johnson and give Matt Schuab a great underneath, crossing and slant route type receiver, something that made Bruce a fringe Hall of Fame player. Dillard will be a very prductive receiver in the league. I don't think he will ever get attention or be a superstar, but niether Mason nor Bruce ever did and they have had terrific long and productive careers.

I see Dilliard a 70-90 recption, 800-1000 yard and around 5-8 TDs a year wide out.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
01-18-2009, 11:58 PM
Earl Bennett 2.0?

giantsfan
01-19-2009, 12:11 AM
Earl Bennett 2.0?

He's shorter and more explosive.

jnew76
01-19-2009, 12:20 AM
Reminds me a little bit of Davon Bess last year... Extremely productive on the field. Quick in bursts, but lacks straight line speed. Strong hands and does not let the ball get into his body. Good after the catch due to lateral quickness. Creates separation with burst and understanding of defensive zones.

will never be a #1 in the NFL, but could be a nice compliment as a 3rd or 4th WR.

tjsunstein
01-19-2009, 12:22 AM
4th round or 5th round.

I like the guy a lot, but his lack of size and speed hurts him. He won't be able to add much to special teams, and also might not add enough from the get-go to crack the top 3 receivers on most rosters.

My thoughts exactly.