PDA

View Full Version : Dexter McCluster Ole Miss

Ozzy
10-22-2008, 12:24 PM
Dexter McCluster
Ole Miss
5-9 165 WR
Junior

This kid is a big time prospect and quite an impressive weapon on the football field. Sure he is small but honestly so what, he makes plays and is tough despite being smaller than almost anyone that tackles him.

I am really impressed with his change of direction ability, can really make sharp cuts and get away from tacklers. Plays the game with great breakaway short burst speed as well. I have not seen any player who is more impressive quicker in his cuts on the field than McCluster.

If he stays for his senior season, and develops more ability to make plays down the field on post routes, he could be a 1st day draft pick. Dare I say a Santana Moss type player, still has a lot of work to do though, great looking prospect none the less.

On the other side, he is every bit as good as Roscoe Parrish in college, and Parrish is still a decent receiver in the NFL. McCluster has more ability than him though I believe.

Keep an eye on him as a prospect.

http://media.commercialappeal.com/mca/content/img/photos/2007/08/29/30d1a.jpeg

fenikz
10-22-2008, 12:27 PM
He is used in a gimmick offense most of the time, he is a good athlete but i doubt he will ever end up going any higher then the 4th or 5th rounds, very few people in the NFL can match Roscoe Parrish's pure speed let alone NCAA even if they were the same speed Roscoe has 25 pounds on him

Ozzy
10-22-2008, 12:36 PM
He is used in a gimmick offense most of the time, he is a good athlete but i doubt he will ever end up going any higher then the 4th or 5th rounds, very few people in the NFL can match Roscoe Parrish's pure speed let alone NCAA even if they were the same speed Roscoe has 25 pounds on himEven if he does not get drafted high, the reality is that I think he could be a very good weapon and potentially could develop into a very dangerous offensive player.

Yes Parrish was fast but come on now, he isn't like the fastest human being on earth here, let us be serious here.

Yes McCluster is in a "gimmick" offense but so is Percy Harvin.

Don Vito
10-22-2008, 12:36 PM
Dexter is a great athlete and very versatile, but he has issues holding on to the ball. He fumbled on the 1 yard line which lost the Vandy game for us, he fumbled inside the 5 against SC, and he had a very costly fumble against Bama on Saturday. He is extremely explosive and is a great playmaker but he really needs to hold on to the ball.

Scott Wright
10-22-2008, 12:37 PM
I have been EXTREMELY unimpressed with this guy.

Every time I've seen him he's made as many big plays for the OTHER team as he has his own.

Don Vito
10-22-2008, 12:42 PM
As Scott said he makes a lot of big plays for us but this year his biggest plays have been game changing fumbles. He has been asked to do a lot this year though and if he can hold on to the ball could be special. He plays a lot bigger than he is, look at his "decleating" of 220 pound LSU safety Chad Jones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew5OIwf_Its

Ozzy
10-22-2008, 01:13 PM
Granted I have no watched every Ole Miss game this year, but from what I have seen I am impressed with him. Cannot deny what you guys have said, he makes key turnovers in big games. Nonetheless, the kid is fast, makes quick cuts and can get away from defenders.

Fumble problems, yes that is an issue I suppose but could anyone off the top of their head give me examples of small receiver prospects who did not turn out in the NFL basically because of their fumble problems? Running back, fumble problems, yes that is a huge issue. As a return man, fumble problems, big issue, but as a slot receiver? One would hope most of his fumbles came in the Wild Rebel formation.

Still the kid can make plays, and is really interesting as a prospect in my book. I hope they keep getting him the football.

etk
10-24-2008, 09:39 AM
Poor man's Darren Sproles.

SuperKevin
10-24-2008, 03:01 PM
Poor man's Darren Sproles.

The real poor man's Darren Sproles is Jerry Seymour from Glenville State, formerly of Central Michigan. 5'5" 214 lbs and he's already have 4 games over 200 yards rushing this year with last week rushing for over 340 yards.

etk
10-25-2008, 06:07 PM
The real poor man's Darren Sproles is Jerry Seymour from Glenville State, formerly of Central Michigan. 5'5" 214 lbs and he's already have 4 games over 200 yards rushing this year with last week rushing for over 340 yards.

Did I read that correctly?

That's a poor man's MJD....not Sproles.

I'd like to see this kid play though...I'm a big fan of stocky backs.

redbills
11-14-2009, 01:49 PM
He is killing it today

stephenson86
11-14-2009, 01:52 PM
he could put up some good numbers if used well in an offense

Don Vito
11-14-2009, 01:54 PM
261 rushing yards 4 TD's today, he has been shaking people and busting through tackles all game.

The biggest thing for him is that he has been holding onto the ball this year.

RaiderNation
11-14-2009, 02:05 PM
Id like to see him go to New England or New Orleans. Seems to be a Reggie Bush type of player in the NFL. Get a few carries, catchs and returns. Probably a 2nd-3rd round guy

Don Vito
11-14-2009, 02:07 PM
I would cream myself if the Pats drafted him to groom as a Faulk replacement. That would be perfect.

ScoutingGURU
11-14-2009, 06:39 PM
He is used in a gimmick offense most of the time, he is a good athlete but i doubt he will ever end up going any higher then the 4th or 5th rounds, very few people in the NFL can match Roscoe Parrish's pure speed let alone NCAA even if they were the same speed Roscoe has 25 pounds on him

Our agency has done a lot of scouting on this kid along with another NFL player by the name of Chris Johnson. Chris Johnson is a little bigger but McCluster has more "wiggle" or "shake and bake"
( If thats possible but he does) then Johnson and that's as good as it gets my friends. No one thought,
( Including our scouts) that Chris Johnson would be a 3 down back and last a whole season but Johnson along with a few others have changed the way we take size into account of scouting a college prospect.

Babylon
11-14-2009, 06:42 PM
I think if he can show the hands he could give you a Deshawn Jackson look.

Don Vito
11-14-2009, 08:48 PM
He's rarely goes deep, he isn't really a field stretcher like Jackson. He has speed but he is more a quick/shifty/elusive guy with surprising strength and tackle breaking ability. He has some good hands too, but he isn't a deep threat. At least he never was here.

Nalej
11-15-2009, 07:41 AM
I'd like to see him in NE as Faulks replacement

JFLO
11-15-2009, 08:01 AM
I really don't think McCluster is as fast as some people will presume. One thing about him that I do like though, is how determined and focused he is during the game. He simply plays to help his team and he doesn't care how he contributes.

He'll be drafted in the later round somewhere, probably by New England/Denver/Miami or Cleveland.

SenorGato
11-15-2009, 11:10 AM
4th or 5th round guy but a personal favorite. Extremely versatile player who works had and can be seen as an "overachieving" talent but he's still pretty damn talented.

Thoughts on Shay Hodge?

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
11-15-2009, 12:55 PM
Reminds me of Josh Cribbs.

Vox Populi
11-15-2009, 01:10 PM
I don't see how this guy could last to the 4th and 5th rounds like you guys are saying. Hes got production, athleticism, and most importantly, mad amounts of versatility. I'd say no later than a mid 3rd for him and he would be unreal in a team with a creative offense that can use his versatility.

JT Jag
11-15-2009, 01:28 PM
Can't see him being much more than a return man and part-time slot receiver in the NFL. He's too tiny.

arthur
03-12-2010, 05:08 AM
I recently done my MBA and now days I want to do some online Microsoft certifications and I Found this online notes is a best helping source to get online accurate information which is more helpful for my preparation.