PDA

View Full Version : McCoy returning for Senior Season

D-Unit
10-22-2008, 08:05 PM
Now this is a statement from a player that I believe.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3658632

Smokey Joe
10-22-2008, 08:14 PM
could be either a wise move or a bad move. He needs more polishing, but it's gonna be tough to repeat the year he is having this year.

SuperKevin
10-22-2008, 08:15 PM
I believe him too. He's a guy who seems to worship Texas football.

Cigaro
10-22-2008, 08:16 PM
Ehh, if the Longhorns don't let up, he'll have an excellent shot at winning a Heisman and/or national trophy. I'm pretty sure he'd leave afterwise.

bantx
10-22-2008, 08:17 PM
NO! he needs to leave after this season so Jon Chiles can shine!!!!!

holt_bruce81
10-22-2008, 08:26 PM
Good for him, you only live once. College is a great experience.

Babylon
10-22-2008, 08:26 PM
Vince Young said he was leaving too about this time of the year. Granted he got a projection that i would guess McCoy wont but what kids say this time of the year doesnt hold too much weight.

Vikes99ej
10-22-2008, 10:45 PM
I actually really like the Tony Romo comparison.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-22-2008, 10:51 PM
Colt McCoy is one of my fave players right now. The guy is just a cool cat. Sam Bradford on the other hand, can suck my u know.

LonghornsLegend
10-22-2008, 10:52 PM
NO! he needs to leave after this season so Jon Chiles can shine!!!!!

He should of been a RB/WR a long time ago, too good of an athlete to not utilize, he would probably be our best Rb right now.

Either way I knew all along Colt would come back, and believe him, I felt the ONLY way he left was a NC & a Heisman, that remains to be seen, but I still think he returns especially since he as much as said so, typically Mack does a good job of keeping guys around except for the last few, and Colt isn't some super NFL prospect like Vince was...The extra year will do him good, our entire O line returns outside of one guard, so if he stays true it could be another strong year.

princefielder28
10-22-2008, 10:56 PM
The next Jeff Garcia...player wise, not draft/career route wise

LonghornsLegend
10-22-2008, 11:02 PM
I also should chime in, this guy has improved drastically, not just physically, not just reading a defense(which he's always been good at), but he's finally showing some of the moxy you want to see in a franchise QB.

He's tough, stepping up as a leader after losing all of his primary skill position players last year, and more importantly he's played his best ball in the biggest games of the year which was my biggest gripe...He showed me alot vs OU battling back and staying calm within the offense, not forcing plays to catch up knowing their offense scores at will, these are things he was prone to do quite a bit from my perspective.

I like the Jeff Garcia more then Romo, Colt has showed to me he's going to be a very good QB at the next level, scouts are going to fall in love with his intangibles...I'm not sure he's going to be a 1st rounder because physically he might not grade out as high, maybe a Trent Edwards type prospect even with all the accolades he pulls in, but I think his high point is late 20's.

Texas Homer
10-23-2008, 12:25 AM
One thing that is hard to improve is Arm Strength. It looks like Colt's arm has gotten stronger than last season. He still does not have a "NFL Arm" that the scouts drool over, but his accuracy and mental makeup is very good.

I think he comes back, has another great season and probably goes in the 3rd round of the 2010 Draft.

D-Unit
10-23-2008, 01:47 AM
One thing that is hard to improve is Arm Strength. It looks like Colt's arm has gotten stronger than last season. He still does not have a "NFL Arm" that the scouts drool over, but his accuracy and mental makeup is very good.

I think he comes back, has another great season and probably goes in the 3rd round of the 2010 Draft.
What's so hard about improving arm strength? It's not hard if you compare it to height, hand-eye coordination, speed and intelligence capacity.

ammandss
10-23-2008, 08:28 AM
If he gets the Heisman and wins a championship I can't see why he would stay.

LonghornsLegend
10-23-2008, 08:57 AM
If he gets the Heisman and wins a championship I can't see why he would stay.

Same reason Leinart did?

MetSox17
10-23-2008, 09:41 AM
Same reason Leinart did?

And Leinart is the perfect example on how you SHOULDN'T do that. He got torn apart by scouts all of his fifth year, and that led the "hot" prospects to come in ahead of him, costing him a good 10-15 million dollars.

Sniper
10-23-2008, 09:46 AM
And Leinart is the perfect example on how you SHOULDN'T do that. He got torn apart by scouts all of his fifth year, and that led the "hot" prospects to come in ahead of him, costing him a good 10-15 million dollars.

And yet he got a degree, got to hang out with his friends another year and got another year of college. Leinart still got enough money to be set for life. You can't replicate another year of college. I've never heard anyone say "I stayed the extra year, but I wish I would have gone". It's always "I left early, but I wish I hadn't"

MetSox17
10-23-2008, 09:50 AM
And yet he got a degree, got to hang out with his friends another year and got another year of college. Leinart still got enough money to be set for life. You can't replicate another year of college. I've never heard anyone say "I stayed the extra year, but I wish I would have gone". It's always "I left early, but I wish I hadn't"

The only reason you hardly hear the first sentence is because it hardly ever happens. It's hard to argue that Leinart wouldn't have been the #1 overall pick over Alex Smith that year, and he got, what, 30 million dollars up front?

If Colt really enjoys being in college, and risking injury and money is worth hanging out with the friends that aren't just gonna disappear once you leave, then by all means, be my guest and stay.

LonghornsLegend
10-23-2008, 10:05 AM
If Colt really enjoys being in college, and risking injury and money is worth hanging out with the friends that aren't just gonna disappear once you leave, then by all means, be my guest and stay.

That might not be the only reason he wants to stay man, maybe he will lose some money maybe he won't, but I can't knock a guy for wanting to finish school, it's not like he's the clear cut #1 QB right now anyway, at this point it could improve his stock ahead of some guys.

Ozzy
10-23-2008, 10:28 AM
Not all that surprising, he would not even be a first round pick if he came out this year anyway. Sanchez, Snead, Stafford and Tebow have more value as underclassmen than he does.

marks01234
10-23-2008, 11:10 AM

Leinart would have been exposed either way. All you had to do was pay attention to his every down film and analyze his highlight plays to see that his junior season was largly a result of the talent around him.

Now, I will agree he probably did fall a few spots and cost himself millions.

And I'm laughing real hard at the poster who thinks the degree Leinart got was worth something. Ha

Sniper
10-23-2008, 11:22 AM
Leinart would have been exposed either way. All you had to do was pay attention to his every down film and analyze his highlight plays to see that his junior season was largly a result of the talent around him.

Now, I will agree he probably did fall a few spots and cost himself millions.

And I'm laughing real hard at the poster who thinks the degree Leinart got was worth something. Ha

A degree from USC? Yeah, I'd say it's worth something.

Shane P. Hallam
10-23-2008, 11:29 AM
I really like Kiper's comparison to Delhomme for McCoy. It fits well.

MetSox17
10-23-2008, 11:56 AM
That might not be the only reason he wants to stay man, maybe he will lose some money maybe he won't, but I can't knock a guy for wanting to finish school, it's not like he's the clear cut #1 QB right now anyway, at this point it could improve his stock ahead of some guys.

I'm not knocking him for wanting to finish school, but i'll tell you what. I'll go out on a limb and say that should he win a national title and or the heisman trophy, he'll walk around the University of Texas for the rest of his life without having raise a finger or pay for a beer. The school will be there thirty, forty, fifty years from now, so he can go back and finish his degree and get ten more should he choose to. There's a short window as a draft prospect for the NFL, and i'm not sure it could be any higher should he do what we think he can.

LonghornsLegend
10-23-2008, 12:47 PM
I'm not knocking him for wanting to finish school, but i'll tell you what. I'll go out on a limb and say that should he win a national title and or the heisman trophy, he'll walk around the University of Texas for the rest of his life without having raise a finger or pay for a beer. The school will be there thirty, forty, fifty years from now, so he can go back and finish his degree and get ten more should he choose to. There's a short window as a draft prospect for the NFL, and i'm not sure it could be any higher should he do what we think he can.

Yea but all those awards and accolades won't automatically make him the #1 pick in the upcoming draft, it's a completely different situation then with Leinart because he was arguably the top QB during his junior year but many different scouting sites, alot of people do not feel McCoy is a great prospect just yet:

"He is not the premier NFL prospect you would expect," said one scout of the 6-3, 210-pound McCoy, who has thrown 19 touchdown passes this season with only three interceptions. "He has an adequate arm to make most NFL throws but does not show the very strong arm to fit the ball into tight spots consistently in the NFL. He often makes just short passes off quick reads and is not asked often to throw the ball downfield on a rope."
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=476689

So we can't assume he would be throwing away millions of dollars just yet, for all we know he could be a late 2nd rd pick even with a Heisman and NC, so he still has a chance to improve his stock by returning and ultimately be drafted higher...Leinart's high point was the #1 pick so returning he could only be drafted later, McCoy isn't being looked at like a premiere or franchise QB just yet and another solid year of football with pressure on him may change people's perception.

Brent
10-23-2008, 12:55 PM
This is surprising. I figured he would wait till the end of the season to say something like this.

D-Unit
10-23-2008, 02:30 PM
could be either a wise move or a bad move. He needs more polishing, but it's gonna be tough to repeat the year he is having this year.
He doesn't need to have the same type of team success, but if he shows continued development, he could end up being the hands down #1 overall pick.

jtcharger24
10-23-2008, 05:49 PM
I highly doubt Mccoy would have a shot of jumping Bradford or Sanchez if all three stayed another year. Not to say he doesn't have a good shot of being a legit pro QB, but he just doesn't seem to fit the mold as well as those two.

Babylon
10-23-2008, 06:03 PM
He doesn't need to have the same type of team success, but if he shows continued development, he could end up being the hands down #1 overall pick.

I question whether he will ever be a 1st round pick never mind a #1 overall pick. He just doesn't do anything that special to be talked about in those terms. I do like his mobility though.

Bruce Banner
10-23-2008, 06:05 PM

No. I don't agree with this at all. His arm will still be average and he will still be kind of short. Those two reasons alone take him out of the top spot.

Paranoidmoonduck
10-23-2008, 07:25 PM
Yeah, I like Colt McCoy. I was pretty lukewarm on him heading into this season, but he worked on his throwing and the ball is coming out really well, not to mention his decision making has been mostly excellent.

That said, I'm not sure he's a 1st round pick no matter what he does.

Habibi
10-23-2008, 07:58 PM
I question whether he will ever be a 1st round pick never mind a #1 overall pick. He just doesn't do anything that special to be talked about in those terms. I do like his mobility though.

Doesn't do anything special? I'm sure his accuracy, quick release, mobility, and top-notch intangibles qualify as special qualities.

Habibi
10-23-2008, 08:01 PM
No. I don't agree with this at all. His arm will still be average and he will still be kind of short. Those two reasons alone take him out of the top spot.

Just because he's not 6'5" doesn't mean he's short. Donovan McNabb, Tony Romo, Brett Favre, Drew Brees, etc. have all done well despite being "short". Criticize his release point, but not his height. Based on QBing precedence it shouldn't be a prominent issue.

SuperKevin
10-23-2008, 08:05 PM
Just because he's not 6'5" doesn't mean he's short. Donovan McNabb, Tony Romo, Brett Favre, Drew Brees, etc. have all done well despite being "short". Criticize his release point, but not his height. Based on QBing precedence it shouldn't be a prominent issue.

Yes but his dangerously low arm angle at his height is a major issue.

Habibi
10-23-2008, 08:09 PM
Yes but his dangerously low arm angle at his height is a major issue.

True. That's why I said criticize his release point, not height. His release point would still be criticized if he was 6'5", like Phillip Rivers' and Vince Young's was. However, at this point, relatively speaking, McCoy moves around the pocket as good as any prospect, and that could render his release point irrelevant --- especially if he plays in a WCO.

MetSox17
10-23-2008, 08:29 PM

Yea but all those awards and accolades won't automatically make him the #1 pick in the upcoming draft, it's a completely different situation then with Leinart because he was arguably the top QB during his junior year but many different scouting sites, alot of people do not feel McCoy is a great prospect just yet:

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=476689

So we can't assume he would be throwing away millions of dollars just yet, for all we know he could be a late 2nd rd pick even with a Heisman and NC, so he still has a chance to improve his stock by returning and ultimately be drafted higher...Leinart's high point was the #1 pick so returning he could only be drafted later, McCoy isn't being looked at like a premiere or franchise QB just yet and another solid year of football with pressure on him may change people's perception.

There's quite a huge drop off in pay between the 20th pick in the first round and the 15th pick in the second.

I'm not saying that he would come out and be a top ten pick, but should he win the Heisman and the National Title, i doubt he'll have his stock any higher than it would be after that.

BufFan71
10-24-2008, 09:21 AM
thats what kevin smith said

look at him now

Iamcanadian
10-24-2008, 02:12 PM

I agree, he's not a 1st round elite talent IMO. Just because you play QB for the #1 college team doesn't make you a serious pro prospect. In fact playing QB for a top 10 team can be very misleading as to their pro potential. These guys usually have all day to throw the ball due to superior talent all around them. Their WR's have all day to get open and the QB practically never has to thread the needle to get a reception. They can be protected by their coaches since their WR's easily get open, by not asking them to throw the ball where an interception can often occur if you lack elite arm strength.
The top QB's recently produced including Roethlisberger, Eli, Rivers, and Cutler and even Ryan all didn't play for college super powers. They all proved themselves behind far less talented teams while the QB's who played for the top college teams for the most part ended up sucking in the pros. The jury is still out on Russell who could be the exception.

giantsfan
10-24-2008, 02:22 PM

For 10 million bucks you can do better than another year of college.

SuperKevin
10-24-2008, 02:58 PM
thats what kevin smith said

look at him now

Texas has a shot of being even better next year. UCF is....well UCF