View Full Version : OROY picks

jsa230
10-22-2008, 11:20 PM
1a.Chris Johnson-550 rushing yards, 3 tds,5+ypc
1b.Matt Ryan-Hasn't been outstanding,but has played great for a rookie
2a.Eddie Royal-39 grabs...clutch performer, hes amazed me this year
2b.Matt Forte-29 grabs for two tds,500+ RY and 3 rushing tds
3. Desean Jackson-433 rec yrds,15 ypc,1 td, and 8 grabs for 20+

Its still too early to tell, but ryan will probably get it. There are a lot of guys i haven't listed that could sneak in there (i.e.Steve Slaton,Johnathon Stewart with 5tds,oh yeah and joryzzzz nelson with 16 grabs and a td..lol) but if i was to bet right now id put my money on ryan.

Shane P. Hallam
10-22-2008, 11:38 PM
I have Tennesspeed and Forte topping my list. Ryan coming right after them. I picked Ryan myself pre-season.

CashmoneyDrew
10-22-2008, 11:38 PM
Check out my sig yo.

iloxygenil
10-23-2008, 12:00 AM
I have Tennesspeed and Forte topping my list. Ryan coming right after them. I picked Ryan myself pre-season.

LOL tennespeed.

If anyone other than Ryan wins it it's a travesty at this point. The only person close is Tennesspeed. Forte is out of it as far as I'm concerned at this point. Would take a miracle to get him back in, all the hype he got from 1 100 yard game is insane.

jsa230
10-23-2008, 12:01 AM
Check out my sig yo.
i hope he wins it, dudes beastlike

awfullyquiet
10-23-2008, 12:05 AM
LOL tennespeed.

If anyone other than Ryan wins it it's a travesty at this point. The only person close is Tennesspeed. Forte is out of it as far as I'm concerned at this point. Would take a miracle to get him back in, all the hype he got from 1 100 yard game is insane.

look at Yards from Scrimmage dude. He's 665 yfs, which ranks 5th in the league. what he's lacked in 'rushing' yardage, he's made up for in screens. i wouldn't call that hype.

but, alas, i do think ryan is definitely number 1 right now. followed by a dead tie of forte and johnson. royal and desean are next...

Burns336
10-23-2008, 12:10 AM
Martellus Bennett laughs at you all.

jsa230
10-23-2008, 12:12 AM
LOL tennespeed.

i think that post was a little biased coming from a falcons fan, i mean only 5 tds at the halfway point. mad props tho for that chicago game,but no disrespect i just dont want ryan to win it. Chris johnson atw!

Caddy
10-23-2008, 01:01 AM
I'm all for Chris Johnson at this point in the season. I think he has single handedly given the Tennessee offense a threat that opposing defenses really need to contain which is something they have been lacking. If the defense stays healthy Johnson will have a great season.

KCJ58
10-23-2008, 01:09 AM
Martellus Bennett laughs at you all.

The St. Louis Rams are laughing at you

Donnie Avery, watch out...

d34ng3l021
10-23-2008, 01:42 AM
Matt Ryan.

I am not biased...

Menardo75
10-23-2008, 02:37 AM
Too bad Josh Morgan is hysterical at all of you :)

Sniper
10-23-2008, 06:54 AM
DeSean Jackson is the ruler of the universe...

29 catches, 433 yards, 14.9 ypc, 1 TD
19 punt returns, 253 yards, 13.3 ypr, 1 TD
1 kickoff return, 12 yards, 12.0 ypc
6 carries, 50 yards, 8.3 ypc

FloridaSkinzFan
10-23-2008, 07:05 AM
Chris Johnson should win it as of right now, Matt Ryan close 2nd.

iloxygenil
10-23-2008, 07:30 AM
i think that post was a little biased coming from a falcons fan, i mean only 5 tds at the halfway point. mad props tho for that chicago game,but no disrespect i just dont want ryan to win it. Chris johnson atw!

Maybe so, but it's not about Stats for Ryan. He's won games for us, and kept us in games. QBs get a 'rating' well, the biggest factor comes in W and L for me. The Falcons are 4-2 and that's thanks in large part to Matt Ryan, but there's another very key contributor...Sam Baker. He's overlooked, but as much talk as Joe got, Sam, if the Falcons can continue to win, should be in the mix as well.

I like Johnson, but he's got some inflated stats based on this last game alone. of course you have to play who they put out there, so, its not his fault. I like him a lot, and I think he's far superior to Forte in nearly every facet of the game, but there's just something about a QB winning games, especially for a team that was as "bad" as the Falcons looked to be according to most pundits.

Ryan plays like he's been around, he doesn't have to do too much, Johnson helps Tennessee but not as much as Ryan helps Atlanta. Without Johnson the Titans could still be undefeated, without Ryan, who knows what Atlanta would look like. Redman could win some games, but I don't see him doing that in 11 seconds.

Anyway yeah, prolly a little biased, but I see Ryan's most important stat as Wins, followed by turnovers. Ryan has only thrown 1 int in the last 4 games and that was on what should have been a touchdown pass, Green Bay made an insane interception. But other than that he just hasn't given the ball away...impressive.

10-23-2008, 07:43 AM
Tennesspeed and Ryan are deadlocked but I'll give Ryan the slight edge at this point still. Eh, DeSean has to be up there as well. Great crop of candidates indeed and that's before we even mention Forte, Stewart, Royal, Avery, Morgan, etc.

Caddy
10-23-2008, 08:17 AM
Matt Ryan.

I am not biased...

Maybe so, but it's not about Stats for Ryan. He's won games for us, and kept us in games. QBs get a 'rating' well, the biggest factor comes in W and L for me. The Falcons are 4-2 and that's thanks in large part to Matt Ryan, but there's another very key contributor...Sam Baker. He's overlooked, but as much talk as Joe got, Sam, if the Falcons can continue to win, should be in the mix as well.

I like Johnson, but he's got some inflated stats based on this last game alone. of course you have to play who they put out there, so, its not his fault. I like him a lot, and I think he's far superior to Forte in nearly every facet of the game, but there's just something about a QB winning games, especially for a team that was as "bad" as the Falcons looked to be according to most pundits.

Ryan plays like he's been around, he doesn't have to do too much, Johnson helps Tennessee but not as much as Ryan helps Atlanta. Without Johnson the Titans could still be undefeated, without Ryan, who knows what Atlanta would look like. Redman could win some games, but I don't see him doing that in 11 seconds.

Anyway yeah, prolly a little biased, but I see Ryan's most important stat as Wins, followed by turnovers. Ryan has only thrown 1 int in the last 4 games and that was on what should have been a touchdown pass, Green Bay made an insane interception. But other than that he just hasn't given the ball away...impressive.

You guys are definitely inherently biased, but in Matt Ryans case it is actually based on some strand of fact. It's not like normal homerism e.g. Brent Grimes is the greatest DB since Deon Sanders. Matt Ryan certainly deserves the ROTY award and I would not be shocked at all to see it go his way.

cdub11
10-23-2008, 08:51 AM
Chris Johnson is my pick... he is leading the AFC in rushing and 4th overall in the NFL... Ryan is 2nd for me.

OzTitan
10-23-2008, 09:41 AM
Pretty remarkable really when you consider Chris Johnson is in a shared carry role with very few touches around the goalline, hence White's league leading 8 TD's. He's also not been used at all in the passing game really. He has room to finish the season stronger than he's started it by getting more carries and catches.

Ryan though will be tough to ignore if he keeps it up. If he can avoid a 4 or more INT game and can maybe add one or two more game winning finishes, he'll likely get it. Kinda like how VY got it over MJD. VY's 19 TD's and some remarkable finishes got him the award without a 70+ QB rating. I could see Ryan doing something similar, except probably with a better rating (but maybe not TD's).

iloxygenil
10-23-2008, 09:44 AM
You guys are definitely inherently biased, but in Matt Ryans case it is actually based on some strand of fact. It's not like normal homerism e.g. Brent Grimes is the greatest DB since Deon Sanders. Matt Ryan certainly deserves the ROTY award and I would not be shocked at all to see it go his way.

I know...that's why I said I'm prolly a little biased, but the way I feel about it as a football fan, is that Ryan is doing something pretty special in Atlanta, even if I was a Bucs fan I'd have to fess up to that, even if I hated to see it happening. Just like I hate to see your defensive backs playing as well as they are as young as they are, I hate that. But in this argument I'm trying to be as unbiased as possible. I like Chris Johnson too, i didn't think he'd be this good, but I like him.

iloxygenil
10-23-2008, 09:49 AM
Pretty remarkable really when you consider Chris Johnson is in a shared carry role with very few touches around the goalline, hence White's league leading 8 TD's. He's also not been used at all in the passing game really. He has room to finish the season stronger than he's started it by getting more carries and catches.

Ryan though will be tough to ignore if he keeps it up. If he can avoid a 4 or more INT game and can maybe add one or two more game winning finishes, he'll likely get it. Kinda like how VY got it over MJD. VY's 19 TD's and some remarkable finishes got him the award without a 70+ QB rating. I could see Ryan doing something similar, except probably with a better rating (but maybe not TD's).

Its very impressive. Ryan prolly won't have 19 touchdown passes he's only got 9 games left and he needs 14 more. It's just not how Atlanta's offense really works. Of course if they can ever stop kicking fieldgoals in the redzone it's possible, but Ryan's QB rating is in the 80s right now, would be a good chunk higher if that insane Green Bay INT hadn't happened, but it did so can't argue that. Ryan is ahead because he's the hot topic right now, it's impressive, he's set the standard pretty high, and he's going to have to reach another level to win the award prolly, just because people are beginning to expect this type of play from him. So that's why this is a year long award, not just a half way point, which we're not QUITE to yet. I guess technically we are since its mid way through the 8th week, but, once all teams have played 8 games, and everyone has had their bye, then things will be more clear.

10-23-2008, 09:50 AM
A QB impacts the game in just so many more ways compared to a RB who splits carries like Johnson. Yeah, Matty Ice has the the stats too however more importantly he's taking care of the ball, which was easily his biggest knock his senior year as most of you will recall.

iloxygenil
10-23-2008, 09:56 AM
A QB impacts the game in just so many more ways compared to a RB who splits carries like Johnson. Yeah, Matty Ice has the the stats too however more importantly he's taking care of the ball, which was easily his biggest knock his senior year as most of you will recall.

On that note, I thought the same thing, OMG 19 interceptions he's going to get roasted in the NFL...that's one of 2 reasons I didn't think he was worth a top 5 pick. However he threw the ball SO much more than other QBs that his int:attempt ratio actually wasn't nearly as bad as it seemed. The other one was arm strength, well so far he's made all the throws, a few I'd like to see some more zip on, but that's what the offseason program will be for.

But yeah don't wanna turn this into a Matt Ryan thread, even if the title does lean that way hehe.

Sniper
10-23-2008, 10:00 AM
But yeah don't wanna turn this into a Matt Ryan thread, even if the title does lean that way hehe.

The title should say "DeSean Jackson Owns The Universe".

awfullyquiet
10-23-2008, 10:01 AM
The reason why he threw so much?
What was he going to do? Let Andre Callender have the load? No way.
The kid did dump of 80 times to his RB last year... (for 770 yards).

The falcons have a lot of time ahead of them to screw stuff up. There's an entire second half of the season left. If we're going mid-season oroy. yes. Matt Ryan is the winner. Overall? I probably will see it going to eddie royal or chris johnson.

iloxygenil
10-23-2008, 10:02 AM
The title should say "DeSean Jackson Owns The Universe".

Haha, I hope not...well this week at least. I hope he lights it up the rest of the season, but I hope this game he's buckled down tight.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-23-2008, 10:33 AM
Matt Ryan will win, but I want Chris Johnson to win.

Shane P. Hallam
10-23-2008, 10:41 AM
And for whoever said Ryan has the key stat, wins, I think Tennesspeed has him beat! Though, I do like the Falcons and Ryan, I think it is Johnson's to lose right now. Though, this could end up like a Vince Young situation.

NY+Giants=NYG
10-23-2008, 10:43 AM
Qb is the most important position on offense. He is your general and therefore without Ryan god knows where the Falcons would be. He has played very well for a rookie QB. I am all for giving him the award, unless an RB has an Adrian Peterson type year.

d34ng3l021
10-23-2008, 12:17 PM
The reason why he threw so much?
What was he going to do? Let Andre Callender have the load? No way.
The kid did dump of 80 times to his RB last year... (for 770 yards).

The falcons have a lot of time ahead of them to screw stuff up. There's an entire second half of the season left. If we're going mid-season oroy. yes. Matt Ryan is the winner. Overall? I probably will see it going to eddie royal or chris johnson.

I really doubt a receiver wins it, especially one that has to compete with Brandon Marshall for receptions.

If Ryan does screw up, the award would probably go to Chris Johnson or Matt Forte. Stewart could make a run too.

iloxygenil
10-23-2008, 12:19 PM
And for whoever said Ryan has the key stat, wins, I think Tennesspeed has him beat! Though, I do like the Falcons and Ryan, I think it is Johnson's to lose right now. Though, this could end up like a Vince Young situation.

QBs get wins attributed to them, not RBs.

Sniper
10-23-2008, 12:23 PM
I really doubt a receiver wins it, especially one that has to compete with Brandon Marshall for receptions.

If Ryan does screw up, the award would probably go to Chris Johnson or Matt Forte. Stewart could make a run too.

What about TEH DESEANZ?

awfullyquiet
10-23-2008, 12:24 PM
QBs get wins attributed to them, not RBs.

For no logical reason.

RB's are just as vital to winning as QB's. Ask Minnesota last year.

d34ng3l021
10-23-2008, 12:33 PM
For no logical reason.

Adrian Peterson ran for 95.78 yards per game (which includes his 3 yard game against SF), which off the top of my head, is probably the highest of RBs that year. Minnesota was 8-8 and did not make playoffs.

iloxygenil
10-23-2008, 12:34 PM
For no logical reason.

I'm not arguing that, but it's just like a pitcher in baseball, they get credit for Wins and Losses, even if they allow 17 runs, and their team somehow manages to score 18...they get the W, but they had little to nothing to do with it.

So don't assume that you're going to teach me something by telling me that another position is just as important as QB, in fact RBs SUCK without offensive linemen, unless they're Barry Sanders. Football is a TEAM game, but we're talking about an individual award. You can refute common knowledge all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that you won't hear about Emmit Smith's record as a starting running back, you'll hear about his rushing yardage, you won't hear about a kicker's record of wins and losses, even though they may end up winning more games than a QB or RB or WR...Quarterbacks are the players who get credit for Wins and Losses typically. That's all there is to it, that's all I was saying.

ShutDwn
10-23-2008, 12:40 PM
I fear Chris Johnson more than any rookie right now, and he also has my vote.

tjsunstein
10-23-2008, 01:36 PM
Jordyzzzzzz? I think Yes.

Chris Johnson.

awfullyquiet
10-23-2008, 02:21 PM
Quarterbacks are the players who get credit for Wins and Losses typically. That's all there is to it, that's all I was saying.

But as with pitchers in baseball. Wins and Losses hardly tell the story... you can win 15 games if your team is great just based on your offense helping you out. You can lose 15 games if your offense sucks.

The fact that 'qb's get the win or loss' is just a media and statistic anomoly that has very little to do with the actual play of a quarterback. Not to get back to Couch vs Manning, but, when you have a good defense, and a good running game, you tend to win more often, no matter how good your QB is... go ask vinny testeverde. A qb is even less instrumental to a win than a pitcher though, because a QB can be bad, and a team can still win regardless of his performance. If W-L stats for pitchers is generally considered a 'bad stat', W-L for QB's is an equally bad stat, if not worse.

awfullyquiet
10-23-2008, 02:22 PM
Adrian Peterson ran for 95.78 yards per game (which includes his 3 yard game against SF), which off the top of my head, is probably the highest of RBs that year. Minnesota was 8-8 and did not make playoffs.

If they didn't have AP. How many games would they have won you think with that offense and defense? 5-11.

iloxygenil
10-23-2008, 02:42 PM
If they didn't have AP. How many games would they have won you think with that offense and defense? 5-11.

There's no way of knowing, we all do know that Chester Taylor had a very productive season the year before and there was no reason to think that he wouldn't have again. While that number does include his 3 yard game, it also includes his NFL record game, which accounted for a large chunk of his yards, more than 3 times what his 'average' is with that game in there.

Do I think that they made a bad decision selecting AP, not a chance, the guy is a beast, but what if they had drafted Brady Quinn instead and had quarterback play to go along with Chester Taylor as a running back? There's no way to know.

gsorace
10-23-2008, 02:51 PM
Easily Chris Johnson

d34ng3l021
10-23-2008, 02:52 PM

A 3 game difference. Look at the Saints right now. They are 3-4. How many games would they have won without Brees? Probably 0. Chargers without Rivers? Probably 0. Maybe 1. I dont know if this comparison is legit or not, but all 3 of these guys (AD, Brees, Rivers) are the difference makers on offense.

I am not trying to say you can award the W statistic to the QB and the QB only. I just feel as if the play of a QB is more important and vital than the play of a RB in winning games (or losing).

EDIT: I dont see how its easily Chris Johnson.

awfullyquiet
10-23-2008, 03:16 PM
A 3 game difference. Look at the Saints right now. They are 3-4. How many games would they have won without Brees? Probably 0. Chargers without Rivers? Probably 0. Maybe 1. I dont know if this comparison is legit or not, but all 3 of these guys (AD, Brees, Rivers) are the difference makers on offense.

I am not trying to say you can award the W statistic to the QB and the QB only. I just feel as if the play of a QB is more important and vital than the play of a RB in winning games (or losing).

EDIT: I dont see how its easily Chris Johnson.

OH i don't either (see how it's easily CJ), but, we know this much: roddy white is a beast. Michael Turner is a TOP RUSHER. John Abraham hasn't disappeared yet.

But, it further proves that yes, it is a team sport, no one player can be counted on for all their wins or losses deserved or not, it's a team game.

TitanHope
10-23-2008, 04:37 PM
CJ is the Titans' offensive MVP at this point. His explosiveness has made the entire team perform at a higher level. The defense wants to stop the opposing OFF even more now that the Titans OFF can score on almost any given play. The OL is blocking tremendously, and even LenDale is playing well.

OROY is too close to call at this point. I have to give it to Matt Ryan at this point. He's got the great storyline - He's the savior QB who's making everyone forget about Vick and is winning games. A lot can change between today and the end of the season, but if it were decided today, I'd give it to Ryan with CJ a close second.

Though, I do think CJ has the inside track since it's more likely that he continues to have success as a RB than Ryan will at QB. It's really hard not to like both of them.

BrownsTown
10-23-2008, 04:51 PM
Chris Johnson. Ryan has played good for a rookie. Chris Johnson has played good for...anybody.

Plus the Falcons success can't all be placed on Ryan. Michael Turner has been beasting on that offense, Roddy White is coming into his own as a reciever, hell that entire offense has improved.

Chris Johnson leads the AFC in rushing and has a 5.3 ypc average. How can you not give it to him at this point?

gsorace
10-23-2008, 05:52 PM
Ryan has played good for a rookie. Chris Johnson has played good for...anybody.

Smartest thing said in this thread.

Shane P. Hallam
10-23-2008, 06:26 PM
I think it all is a pointless argument as so many rookies have played well

awfullyquiet
10-24-2008, 12:03 AM
Someone really has to prop the titans o-line. if you give lenwhale white that much space to go whaaaaaarrrrrh! (thwoosh!), you are doing a fantastic job.

Menardo75
10-24-2008, 12:07 AM
Did anyone think this rookie class would be this good? Definitly a plesant suprise.

Caddy
10-24-2008, 12:38 AM
Did anyone think this rookie class would be this good? Definitly a plesant suprise.

To be honest I don't think anyone really expected it to perform so well so early in the season. The Buccaneers didn't have the best draft by any stretch, but Aqib Talib is playing great football (3 INTs) and Jeremy Zuttah is a great #6 lineman who could force his way into the lineup in the near future.

If only we could do something about Dexter Jackson.

d34ng3l021
10-24-2008, 01:07 AM
The offense for this draft class is off the charts. Probably one of the best offensive classes in a long long time. Matt Ryan and even Joe Flacco are playing better than expected. I dont really need to explain all the great RBs. At tackle you have what seems to be a perennial All-Pro in Ryan Clady, and all terrific tackles in Jake Long, Branden Albert, and Sam Baker. Despite having no WR's in the first, Desean and Royal are making huge impacts for their teams.

Defensive side is a bit lacking, but whatever.