PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Curry?

foozball
10-23-2008, 04:55 PM
People dont seem to be talking much about this guy. He's got prototypical size and speed and the production to back it up. How does he rate as a prospect compared to other top LB prospects like Hawk, Sims, and PWillie?

Vox Populi
10-23-2008, 05:11 PM
I see this guy following the exact same road as Patrick Willis. Unlike Maualuga and Laurinitis, Hawk or Posluszny, neither Willis or Curry got/get a lot of media exposure for their accomplishments largely due to where they played.

That will all change though if Curry goes out and works out like a monster like Willis did. I doubt Curry will be able to put on a show like Willis did, but simply to perform better than Laurinitis or Maualuga could be exactly what the doctor ordered for the under exposed linebacker.

SuperKevin
10-23-2008, 05:15 PM
Except I don't think Curry has the freakish athleticism Willis has. Remember Willis ran like a 4.38 at the combine. Curry is probably a 4.5 flat guy. Also Curry is probably an OLB in the pros

SeanTaylorRIP
10-23-2008, 05:18 PM
Curry is my number 1 rated backer in the 09 draft. Maualuga and Laurinitis may get all the hype, and ABC announcers might orgasm every time they make a tackle, but strictly looking at them on a performance stand point, Curry is the only one who constantly leaves me impressed. To me Curry has the best tools, and IMO out of the 3, he has has yet to really reach or even notice his potential. With every game he gets experience and gets that much better.

Geo
10-23-2008, 05:25 PM
I like James Laurinaitis a good deal, but I think Curry just may be the best linebacker in the Draft. I get a strong Derrick Brooks vibe from him, even though Curry plays SLB and won't deal with the linebacker/safety concerns that Brooks had as a prospect.

Curry does a very good job of dropping back in coverage, but also coming up to get the ballcarrier. He is, as Bill Polian would say, a striker for sure. He has that pop, and just seems to have a natural feel for the game which allows that to shine as well as other playmaking ability (interceptions, defensive scores, forced fumbles).

As for where he stands, I'd probably put him on par with Ernie Sims? I also think there's potential for Curry to play middle linebacker as well as outside linebacker.

Mr. Stiller
10-23-2008, 05:38 PM
I think with some work and Technique in shedding blocks he can be one of the best MLB's in the league

Bills2083
10-23-2008, 05:45 PM
Do you guys think Aaron Curry would do well in the Cover-2?
I'm wondering if the Bills plan on drafting an OLB early with them most likely not resigning Crowell.

SuperKevin
10-23-2008, 05:46 PM
Do you guys think Aaron Curry would do well in the Cover-2?
I'm wondering if the Bills plan on drafting an OLB early with them most likely not resigning Crowell.

No way Curry lasts that long. I'm hoping for Sean Weatherspoon to declare.

Vox Populi
10-23-2008, 06:21 PM
Except I don't think Curry has the freakish athleticism Willis has. Remember Willis ran like a 4.38 at the combine. Curry is probably a 4.5 flat guy. Also Curry is probably an OLB in the pros

Yeah, I wasn't really saying they compare as players, but as in the way their pre-draft stock will roll. If Curry has a great workout he could shoot up to top 15 overall like Willis did. I don't think he'll touch Willis' numbers, but just beating out Laurinitaitis and Maualuga in terms of measurables could get him up there.

Paranoidmoonduck
10-23-2008, 07:12 PM

Actually, Willis ran a 4.5 flat at the combine.

SuperKevin
10-23-2008, 07:13 PM
Actually, Willis ran a 4.5 flat at the combine.

Sorry he ran 4.37 twice at his pro day

foozball
10-23-2008, 08:22 PM
My Texans have had to deal with terrible LB play for the past few years (outside of demeco of course). if they drafted him, would he be a better fit at WLB or SLB?

Number 10
10-23-2008, 08:28 PM
Without a doubt the #1 LB prospect in the nation.

STARHEATHER
10-23-2008, 08:34 PM
i think hes been talked about quite a bit. i like him a lot. i dont like him a ton because hes not a superfreak athlete. but hes a good athlete. could play insidein 3-4 or oustide 4-3. misses some tackles though. not as many as maaluga or laurinitis but he misses some. before id consider him a top talent hes going to have to clean that up. hes not an athletic freak in the david harris/pat willis mold though. could be a nice 2nd rd pickup.

Solomon
10-23-2008, 10:33 PM
i think hes been talked about quite a bit. i like him a lot. i dont like him a ton because hes not a superfreak athlete. but hes a good athlete. could play insidein 3-4 or oustide 4-3. misses some tackles though. not as many as maaluga or laurinitis but he misses some. before id consider him a top talent hes going to have to clean that up. hes not an athletic freak in the david harris/pat willis mold though. could be a nice 2nd rd pickup.

I really don't see him making it out of the first round. Especially with all the teams that need a LB with his his ability. I think Curry would be a great fit in New Orleans, San Diego, New England, Arizona, Buffalo, Detroit, or Denver and can't see all of them passing on him. I also think he is capable of playing inside either in a 3-4 or in a cover 2 type defense.

On a sidenote I don't think his situation compares much to Patrick Willis. Yes they both play for often overlooked div 1 teams but Willis made many All-American teams as a junior and was a highly regarded prospect right after his junior year. I know Scott had him on his list of top 12 senior prospects as soon as the 2007 draft was finished and most draft magazines and analysts had him as a strong first rounder going into his senior year.

Curry wasn't quite as well known during the preseason although he still received some hype among the draft fan community. I know back in August there was a thread commenting on the best OLBs in the country. I threw his name in the mix and a couple others quickly chimed in on him as well.

STARHEATHER
10-23-2008, 10:36 PM
hes not that same type physically as willis. hes not that physically gifted. no 4.4s in his future. and he misses more tackles, probably because hes not as gifted as willis. i like him a lot though. he makes an impact. i just dont know if i see a great nfl lb

illmatic74
10-23-2008, 11:18 PM
Curry I believe is the best all around LB. With Mauluga, Lauranitis and Curry we have 3 LBS who will make an imediate impact in the NFL.

Solomon
10-23-2008, 11:57 PM
hes not that same type physically as willis. hes not that physically gifted. no 4.4s in his future. and he misses more tackles, probably because hes not as gifted as willis. i like him a lot though. he makes an impact. i just dont know if i see a great nfl lb

Absolutely. He probably doesn't have the physical ability of Willis and he definitly doesn't have Willis' insane tackling ability. But Willis was a top 10 talent in a loaded draft class (he went #11 but he certainly had the talent to go higher) and as of right now this class doesn't look quite as strong. I don't neccessarily think Curry will go in the top half of the first but I don't see him dropping out of the first either.

For the record, Curry has Willis beat in a couple of areas, he's better at taking on backs and tight ends and shadowing them on routes. He's a better pass rusher and his frame is a bit bigger too.

I'll also say that Curry is expected to have 4.65 speed at the moment. Willis was expected to have 4.6 speed himself until he shattered those expectations. Curry could prove that he is just as physially gifted as Willis. We'll just have to wait until the combine to find out.

D-Unit
10-24-2008, 12:13 AM
Curry is nice, but I've come to like Brandon Spikes the most. That guy drops my jaw.

Menardo75
10-24-2008, 12:44 AM
Curry is going to be a fine pro. Four year starter on a very good defense.

Mr. Stiller
10-24-2008, 01:04 AM
I see James Farrior. Solid Speed, great coverage, above average block shedding and reliable tackling.

I think he would make an excellent Mack/Buck in a 34.

SuperKevin
10-24-2008, 01:09 AM
Stiller you compare every single player to a Pittsburgh Steeler

Mr. Stiller
10-24-2008, 01:14 AM
Stiller you compare every single player to a Pittsburgh Steeler

Eh, I see Orakpo style very similar to Harrison... and Curry Very Similar to Farrior.

Outside of that.. who?